House

After Hours

Aired Monday 9:00 PM May 16, 2011 on FOX

• Avarage episode

This must be the most disgusting episode I've watch.

And what I'm talking about is of course when House operates on him self... Normally I can handle stuff like that but this time, neeehhh.

I really didn't think about that some of Houses fellows could have done it. That makes more sense in my opinion.
  • 3 Jump the Shark momements in one episode....a series low water mark.....

Really 13 working on a convict (a before to unmentioned friend from prision on her couch who is A> Bleeding out form a knife wound B> Hep C postive....

House operating on his own leg despite the fact that having at least 3 of his friends do it (Like 13 who knows he is on the drug and not adverse to home surgery)....WTH

Taub preg. storyline...sigh

• Wow. Intense, to say the least.

Season 7 may have been the weakest season of House yet, if a large spread of mediocrity punctuated by decent but unconventional episodes like Bombshells, and the phenomenal The Dig.

Like the past few episodes, After Hours is an episode about dealing with pain, weakness and the defense mechanisms people put up to deal with that. With 45 minutes for three large plot lines, the stories themselves are relatively simple and quickly resolved. But the emotional impact of each of them (even Taub's, whose issues keeping it in his pants have typically bored me this season) make it work.

I've missed Thirteen's scenes with Chase from late season 6. Wilde and Spencer have surprisingly good chemistry, and that shone through during Thirteen's plot line with her sick friend. It's good to see Chase stepping up in a way that involves acting like a friend and an actual human being rather than his adventures with New Bar Girl of the Week. While I'm typically not the kind of person pushing for any kind of romantic entanglement on a TV show, but Chase and Thirteen work together in so many ways that Chase and Cameron or Thirteen and Foreman didn't. I'm going to forget this show's history of repeatedly destroying relationships stupidly. If those two ever happened, I completely wouldn't mind.

Taub and Foreman's C-plot has deals with the ramifications of Taub's recent lifestyle and his 20-something girlfriend Ruby. (Yeah, how the hell does he get those?) I don't really know what to say about this, but it surprisingly wasn't bad. While the gratuitous stripper shots could have been removed to make room for the other two storylines (no, I'm not gay but there are priorities in a TV show), it's good to see Taub finally step up and be a man. Shame it took that long to get there, but I guess guns in your faces and impending death will do that to you.

And then, there's House's A plot. When I saw the previews of it, with everybody saying that it was gruesome and sickening, I just kind of laughed them off. But they actually were right. Hugh Laurie's acting was spot on and I actually felt his pain as he cut into his own leg. And while I've never been a fan of House's relationship with Cuddy, it's still good to see House's closest friends at his side when he needs him most. Wilson, you're the best. And Rachel Cuddy was absolutely adorable.

Oh, and while most people don't judge television episodes on artistic merit, the Director of Photography for "After Hours" seriously needs to win an award for this episode. The lighting, the camera angles, and the soundtrack were all spot on. I might not be one of those professional reviewers, but if I was, I'd give this episode an 8 just from the artistic value alone.
  • A fairly average episode saved by a great last 3 minutes.

Not sure where my views differ from the majority of reviews on this episode, but I really didnt think it was anything that special. 3 different storylines, 2 of a certain interest and one of complete absurdity (I am looking at house operating on himself)

I think house is suffering from its own success, as most shows do eventually. It has set a bar so high for drama and interest that is struggling to jump high enough. It is lacking the simplicity that hooked me in the first place. And don't get me wrong, I am still enjoying watching house to a certain extent, but its my the TV highlight you would look forward to that it once was to me. But as stated in the summary, I thought the last 3 minutes of the show pulled it up a great deal. They really have a way of doing music packages on this show that is something quite special. overall, enjoyable in places. Dragged in others. and yet again more endless scenes of people questioning peoples motives and then being questioned on their own motives.
  • Perfect

Perfect. That should be enough to describe this episode but since reviews have to be longer I'll say some more.
    Where else than on House can you see a guy trying to operate himself? I have to say that Hugh Laurie did an amazing job in that scene. I always thought he was a great actor and this just proves it. It felt very real to me, that might have been the reason I found it a little disgusting yet had to keep watching.
    At the end House agreed with Wilson that something has to change, I don't think he will though. We've heard him say that before but House wouldn't be House if he didn't do reckless stuff like that. His character also has to be in pain for the sake of the show. A happy House that doesn't insult people as much would just kill the show. I think the writers realize this and they ended the relationship with Cuddy because of this.
    I also enjoyed the side stories. I love that 13 is back, I think she's very interesting. Perhaps because she's almost as tormented as House which makes her actions more interesting. Personally I also think that Chase and 13 will get closer. One more thing I would like to say is I never expected Taub to become a father, he really doesn't seem the type.
    But to conclude, a compelling episode, I enjoyed watching it and can't wait for the season finale!
  • An episode that shows that a long-running series can still be top quality.

There were three issues focused on, which is already a daunting task. But it was handled brilliantly. They trusted that long-time fans would understand many of the complexities of the issues, and left out a lot of unnecessary exposition. It paid off.

I'll break down the three issues:

Taub/Foreman

My two least favourite characters, and not surprisingly, it was my least favourite issue. It was still good, but Foreman seemed out of place having the most light-hearted attitude this episode. And having Taub stick around to talk to the stripper was understandable, given his mentality, but having the stripper pull a gun on him was obviously forced drama and felt a little over-the-top.

House/Cuddy

Speaking of over-the-top, there are some things House does that are reckless. Then there are some things that are stupid as hell. Performing self-surgery on his leg was the latter. Thankfully, they redeemed themselves by having House call for help. Unfortunately, the person that answered his call was Cuddy, who's face is forever frozen with an expression of exasperation.

Chase/13

This was the gem in this episode. Personally, I think Chase is the most under-rated character on the show, and this episode highlighted many of his strengths, and alluded to much of his depth. 13, who I originally didn't want to return, was just as amazing. The episode began in typical 13 fashion, with putting the spotlight on her drama and having her stubbornness get in the way of rational decisions, leading to, of course, more drama for her to make more irrational decisions about. Chase however, would have none of it, and was there to keep things from getting out of hand.
    The best part? The episode never says anything outright, but watch again the scene near the end when 13 and Chase are in the locker room. These two have much more in common than good looks. 13's face after Chase said they should grab a coffee summed up everything perfectly.

The show isn't perfect, but it's one of the very few shows on TV that seem to care about maintaining high standards. This show demonstrates that not only can a show be both well-written and popular, but it can also last. An episode like this would not have been possible without the characters who've accumulated as much depth as they have. It certainly gives me faith that next season will also be spectacular.
  • Different kind of House

Episode tonight is full of surprises. The first one is the case of House. House has been dealing with his pain for so long that tonight is the apex of that battle. He finally outdone himself, taking experimental rat drugs and operating on himself to remove tumors that grew because of the drugs. Maybe after this awful experience, something about House will change, as Wilson hoped. An interesting story line is Taub impregnating a nurse in his workplace and decided to keep the baby and be a good father. The last case is 13 and Chase dealing with an ex-cop, turned ex-convict. All in all, it is a good episode.
  • 10/10

Thirteen receives a visit from her former cellmate, and soon discovers that she is using drugs again. Unwilling to send her back to jail by taking her to the hospital and risking exposure, Thirteen asks Chase for help. Meanwhile, House and Taub both receive shocking news.

This was a amazing installment , house sill house , Hands down , the best drama on tv right now I think Three stories title is more suitable than After hours , oh I remembered three stories was one of the most brilliant episodes and well written episodes in the history of tv !

Anyway this episode gives me hope that season finale will be as it always had been Great House although this season is decent
  • They Do Make 'Em Like They Used To

An ex-inmate that knows 13 shows up at her door with a stab wound and she promises not to take her to the hospital and enlists Chase's help to keep her friend alive. House learns of the effects of the rat drug and goes so far as to perform surgery on himself to remove tumors from his leg. Taub finds out that his girlfriend is pregnant and struggles on a night out with Foreman on the whole ordeal and faces a legitimate moment of fear at the hands of someone he is trying to help. This is by far one of the best episodes of the season if not the best as so many of the penultimate episodes of the season prove to be right before the finale. While this season has lacked in focus it made up for in this episode that gave me what I wanted: a complicated look at House dealing with pain, 13 and Chase who I think are the sexiest medical duo on TV when they share a screen time, and how Cuddy is the only one who would take House's call that night and how it's just House's nature to be miserable like this. At the end of the episode when talking to Wilson he acknowledges that a change needs to be made and next week we will see his ultimate decision. With the recent renewal of House for another season I'm interested to see what happens next and how House's decisions will affect those around him. The real scene stealer was the self surgery moment where we are reminded why Hugh Laurie is such an amazing actor to react to such a thing happening and his quiet desperation behind his blood shot eyes when he is brazenly pathetic as well as sarcastic and he's the reason why I've stayed with this show for so long. At least he still has his friendship with Rachel.
  • Excellent acting from Hugh Laurie, Olivia Wilde and Jesse Spencer.

Excellent episode, we have a lot of action, it was an episode full of feelings and very vertiginous! I love it! Excellent acting from Hugh, the scene in the bathroom is just breathtaking, great scenes between 13 and Chse, not only the fight also the locker room scene. The writers did an excellent job telling us all stories. You can say that last season wasnt what you want, you can say that you dont like season 6, season 7 or whatever, but you cant say that exists another show that makes you feel this things, remember House Head, remember Wilson Heart, remember the suicide scene on Out of the chute... I cant wait till season finale! Is just a shame that we are going to have only one more season of the best drama show ever...

"After Hours" almost felt like it could have been an episode of a sitcom. You had three storylines, each more ludicrous the next from a man trying to operate on himself to a short and annoying doctor trying to inspect a stripper's mole.

But it turned out to be a solid episode of the drama that set things up for next week's finale. The acting was decent, the pacing was good and we got to see these characters pushed to the brink, which is always fun. This show has not been edgy enough this year, well, this episode certainly dispelled that rumor. If you don't believe me look back to the Chase and Thirteen fight.

I didn't love this episode as much as my fellow tv.com users did, but it was a good installment.
  • Summing up a Season of relationships...

NOTE: Breaking News...It was reported this afternoon that Lisa Edelstein (Cuddy) will NOT return for season 8. her decision is final. WILSON was slated to depart..and now it seems he is resigning and is NOT leaving. ??? This has me confused but if this is how it plays out..I think WE, the viewers win. I would prefer Wilson to Cuddy if I havwe to pick one to stay....HOUSE is like OZ--people come and go so quick..and come and go again lol

No reason to recap the plot as only people who have watched come here to read reviews. Continuing and advancing storylines developed this year the key elements of the inner reasons of each characters weakness is brought to near conclusion. Taub and 13 confront their demons. House calls Cuddy when no one else will pick up the phone. That she answered was slightly surprising. Chase again proves although he is still House's pin boy he is still the most level headed(he has already been shown superior to Foreman and taub) and now he had to deal with 13's stubborn nature. Losing Cameron doesn't seem to have done him irreperable harm...good for Chase. I don't want to debate the logic of House doing his own surgery. Yes, I know all too well what a mess general surgeon's can make of the anatomy but surely House could have found a surgeon he got along with and worked some compromise on how much muscle to remove again. However, the fast kill of the rats and tumors makes his actions accetpable as he did not know how long he had till those tumors grew. The last review above thought the scenes of self surgery were 'gruesome and sickening" I completely disagree. The blood was kept to a minimum and you do NOT see his open wound but rather extreme close ups where tissue and tumor are seen in rather morphed effect. I also thought when he actually pulled out a tumor (OK so there was a FEW sickening seconds but nothing gratuitous) it looked real. Very good special effects makeup! I don't think they have a clue what they are going to do next season but this season has proved an improvement over the middle to last half of Season six which had a lot of lower quality episodes.

P.S. I took off Half a point (and this was a very intense episode, I was not bored) because doing self surgery on a leg by injecting it full of anesthetic was already done in "No Country For Old Men" so it wasn't 100% original but House had his leg injury before that movie..so ...it was just a coincidence.
  • a different one

as we are nearing to the season finale, the plots are getting to an end. House finally discovers that the cure is actually a poison and that he has tumors on his legs and tries to operate himself. He fails, and calls his team. Nobody picks it up, then he calls Cuddy.

Different dynamics this week. Taub learns that a nurse his pregnant and he is thinking about having the baby or not in a strip club and ends up on his kneels on a gun point.

On the other hand, Thirteen and Chase are helping Thirteen's cellmate. Not much of a medical mystery there. Actually, not much a medical mystery this week. But the relationships this week deserves a solid 10. Good plots, good dialogues. It wasn't a usual House episode, but it was very enjoyable. Well done !

The penultimate episodes of House have always proved to be amazing and things were no different this year. This episode constantly reminded me of last year's "Lockdown" but also reminded me of the brilliance of last year's penultimate episode: "Baggage."

We got some fantastic interactions from all the cast members. Chase & Thirteen being the best ones. I loved how they tied in Chase's story line with Thirteen's like that. How he can empathize with Thirteen and her situation. Since he went through something similar last year.

The cinematography was brilliant. Every scene was golden. The fight scene between Thirteen & Chase seemed a bit unreal, but it was still intense. Taub being a father? He's not my favorite character but at least he's finally doing something remotely entertaining.

The medical mystery was intriguing, the House & Cuddy interactions weren't horrible, and the final scene was perfection. Perfect lead-in to what I hope is one of the best finales in House's run (contrary to last season's finale).
USA