House

Black Hole

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Mar 15, 2010 on FOX

• Dennis Boutsikaris, "Artie" in Black Hole

One could fully expect that most of the great actors included in House would be also found in other series and movies. When they show up in series after their appearance in House, it could be assumed that their exposure on this series positively affected their careers.

A few days ago, I was catching up on episodes of "Elementary" and found a familiar face playing a central role in one of the cases - a multimillionaire who believes that he was poisoned with a manufactured genetic disease.

Turns out that the actor is Dennis Boutsikaris, who also just happened to play the father of the POTW's boyfriend in the visually and musically stunning episode "The Black Hole". That moving scene when House confronted him with his guilt and thereby solved the medical case hinted to me that he wasn't just a casting side thought.

Boutsikaris won two Obie awards (New York Off Broadway Theater awards) and was the first to play Mozart in Amadeus, which, at the time, was a play before it became the 1984 Tom Hulce movie. I would have loved to have seen that performance!!

People who are experienced and celebrated in the theatre (like Robert Sean Leonard) tend to be strongly aware of the importance of physical and voice expression in a role, and thus they learn how to put themselves in the center of a scene. In that confrontation scene in The Black Hole, for several seconds, Dennis very effectively moved the focus of the scene onto himself and his character - and that is VERY hard to do when one is sharing a scene with Hugh Laurie.

In the short but important scenes that he played in Elementary, he seemed to have not forgotten how to do that focus thing, which made this episode (called "Possibility Two") a good deal better than most.

• I don't know if it was fun, but it sure was funny

Comedy is something House uses as a tool. It is not the kind of comedy that is intended to make you laugh, but rather a characterization tool. It is given to House (the character) and him alone for the purpose of making him sound inappropriate as he wisecracks in tense situations and gets nothing but stern looks from friends and patients in return.

That is why when the rest of the cast is allowed to get a laugh or two I count that as a victory. From Foreman's impatience to science fiction diagnostic tools to Wilson's hilarious shopping trip, the lighthearted tone changed the feeling of this slightly without losing the core of the characters.

The episode reminded me of seasons 1 and 2, and I mean that as a compliment. There was a patient, whose disease was actually the point, rather than background noise, as they so often are lately, and there was fun to be had with House's personality, but also with the rest of the cast. Taub's life is typically makes for the most boring episodes, and his painfully bland relationship with his wife was not the highlight here, either, but at this point I'm perfectly fine with hanging out with this cast when they feel like getting playful, and that was exactly what happened here.

So, hey, I'm sorry if your soap opera-driven approach to House was not met with enough material (remember when House used to mock doctor soaps? I guess they couldn't keep that up with a straight face after the last two seasons...), but I'm more than happy with this version of the show.
  • House thinks Wilson's condo is empty of furniture because Wilson is empty on the inside.

Wow. Less than 15 minutes into the show and the patient is in the ER with her heart exposed. A seventeen year old smart girl with foam coming out of her mouth when she drinks liquor on a fieldtrip. First they think it's an allergic reaction to her boyfriend's semen. Then we go to a hole in the brain. Patient thinks she's in a black hole. Meanwhile, Wilson buy's furniture and House sends it back because he didn't go pick it out. Smart girl's boyfriend wants to marry her, but she can't understand what he's saying. But she sees a younger version of herself telling herself that she can tell him her secret. Confused? What's real, what isn't? Then they hook the girl up to this really cool machine and have her to think about one thing. They can see what she is thinking. Photo wise, distorted but recongnizable, so cool. Wilson goes to pick out a dinning room table but can't find himself inside the furniture, or furniture that reflects his insides? Confusing episode, but good none the less. House always is The Wizard after all.
  • Visually nauseating

What is wrong with modern camera techs? Or should we blame the directors? The producers? In this age of pristine high definition, what [expletive deleted] is driving them to degrade the image with hand held SHAKY shots that are nauseating. Tripods can't be that expensive. And the actors are talented enough to eliminate the need for ever shifting backgrounds, angles and zooms.

It's bad enough when an action / adventure film substitutes blurry shaky cam in place of well choreographed sequences by talented stunt men. But when a simple marital argument is recorded in shake mode - well - I had to turn it OFF.

Which makes it a pretty rancid episode.
  • Are you kidding me!? This was horrible!

Wow!! This is not only the worst episode of House, it's one of the worst episodes of any TV show I've ever watched. Hooking up a TV monitor to a person's brain to "watch" their dreams/subconscious -- are you kidding me!? I couldn't believe they were doing this. I'm barely old enough to have watched The Fonz jump the shark -- I didn't know then that the show died that day, but I know now when a show dies, and this was that day. This was, and is, the last episode I'll ever watch of House. Too bad -- it used to be great.
  • Hawt Stuff!!!

Oh so Dr. Taub seems to have a party in his pants again. And that look House gave at the end of the episode when he seen Taub off to the boinking races was priceless.

Taub will surely be fired. House will orchestrate a situation where Taub makes a serious f-up because of his lady boinking ways depriving him of sleep.

The storyline of the teen girl being sexually active was very exciting, and her mom was a real turn-on, too. And the thing with the teen girl boinking her BF's dad was priceless, Hall-Of-Fame Telly to be sure. You don't get titillating stuff like that on reruns of Medical Center, lol.
  • The episode was so boring that I barely have anything to write about.

5.5
    I really could care less about Taub and his wife. I just find him really boring and could care less about him. I also couldn't stand how every time Taub was alone with someone, he had to bring up his wife. Texting during a DDX? Wow. And having sex on the hospital premises isn't exactly a good place with House around (Chase and Cameron also found out the hard way). And then he walks out with the nurse and nothing changed anyway. What a waste of a storyline that could have been used on something else.

Ah, so now Taub and 13 are heart surgeons? I love how one episode when Chase was still in surgery they made sure to point out he wasn't a brain surgeon or something and House wanted him to go to his boss but yet they still have the team doing random surgeries from time to time. And of course Taub and Chase were doing the brain surgery at the end of the episode.

I didn't understand the whole point of the House/Wilson/redecorating storyline. Wilson trying to sit in all the different chairs was pretty funny though. I actually laughed out loud (which I never do) when he was trying to figure out how to sit in the round chair. And why didn't Wilson move House's piano to the loft rather than buying a new one?

It was good to see the patient was almost the entire episode. It has been awhile since the patient hasn't been overshadowed by a side story. The Taub storyline was boring but it wasn't a very big part of the storyline and the redecorating storyline was even less of a storyline. And it was a somewhat interesting patient too. I just find it hard to believe that there is some sort of machine that can read someone's thoughts.
  • It's not House material...

3.5
    Didn't feel like a House episode. Scripts everywhere, not too sure what's going on most of the time. The sub-story of Wilson and House is pretty darn boring and the medical mystery seems... bland. Sweet - the *SPOILER* patient's boyfriend's father slept with her. I don't find the brain scan realistic. a machine that can capture the images of what a patient is thinking? I think I'll side with Foreman on this one. Taub's story was kind of overdone. We didn't need to see a repeat of history. and why all that buildup then an ending involving Taub walking out with another nurse? House wasn't crude at all in this episode. He seemed mellow and very "uplifting". This episode bites the dust, easily forgettable.
  • Incredibly boring episode

5.5
    Coming into tonight I had House as one of my top 5 dramas on TV, but this episode simply left a sour taste in my mouth.

First of all it featured Taub heavily, which is just, yuck, and featured a disturbing and inappropriate revelation to end things. This is so unrealistic (a father sleeping with his son's girlfriend) as it was just done on Family Guy last night.

Really forgettable episode of House tonight that just made me feel really bad about this program. As I said this is one of the few shows that I consider to be an elite drama these days. This was not proof of that.
OXYGN