House

Everybody Dies

Aired Monday 9:00 PM May 21, 2012 on FOX

• The Perfect Ending!

First, the Ending was the best I ever seen for a Drama Series. What an Ending for House! and he still ass although James is about to die!

what a turn of events at the ending! he die and hes not dead, typical house who love to keep the mystery and puzzles going!

A good touch is to bring most of the cast in one episodes, its touching to see everyone with house and crying for him.

To end it with House and James on the road is the best ending ever even that I didn't the thing about James Dieing! but still the two friends their last moments together alone is awesome.

And again, the best ending ever for a drama series :D
  • Goodbye Dr. House we will miss you

Great way to end the series with the Wilson/House bromance. I knew they had to kill him off to end it but I love how House got out safe and only tells Wilson. Was sweet and so very House sticking to his own rules. Giving Chase the team was nice as it let them stay together. It was a nice end to a good series. Goodbye Dr. Gregory House.
  • great ending

Been a house fan sad to see it go but enjoyed the ending and how it concluded

• Great Ending to Great Show.

The creators of house came up with a good ending to this series. I like how they boiled down all of houses problems and made him see a new light. My heart broke when I thought that he had died. I was very sad and teary and a little mad at the thought of killing house off the way that it had supposedly went down but seeing that he was actually alive was a great relief and a shocking surprise. I was very happy to see him end up spending time with wilson and having a fresh and hopefully better chance at life.

I will miss this show but I think that it was a good ending :)
  • Spin off

Am I the only one who has heard of a possible spin off from this show?
  • Everybody Loves to Die!

Okay, awesome work by the cast and by the writers in coming up with a finale like this one. Not only it gives us the feeling that it has ended, but it also gives us the feeling that something else will happen, even after the end.

I was really happy to see so many actors making a come back, even for just one last round (too bad Cuddy did not appear, but you can't always have what you want), and the songs were so appropriate for the occasion.

I give this one a very big 10, which is the same score I gave the series. You'll be missed, Doc!
  • House Was AWESOME

I'm so glad that House didn't die in the final episode. I enjoyed seeing many of his team return, but would have enjoyed seeing Cuddy. FOX, please bring House back sometime in the future.
  • BEST EPISODE!

In my opinion the ending was perfect.

First of all;

House did not die in the fire.

House was not a hallucinated figure nor a dilution of Wilson's.

House intensionally put his ID tag under the table leg for Foreman to find. It was a sign for Foreman that House was still alive. Also it was to show us, the audience, that Wilson was not delusional.

I really like seeing Kutner, Amber, Cameron, Stacey, Remy and all the others. I was a little disappointed that out of all the guest stars of past cast members, Lisa Edelstein wasn't in it. I know Cuddy left the Hospital and moved away having hatred for House, however, she did love him and understood him in a way only a couple of other people did. I really think Cuddy would have come to House's funeral.

I absolutely loved that Chase was made head of the Diagnostic Department. He really deserved it. I'm proud of him.

I think the story ended great with Wilson and House riding off like they did.

bbs
  • A great "Housian" end

What is House? Just a bright doctor? No. House is about commitment without conditions and norms. He HAS to be with Wilson those last 5 months and the price to pay is his "life". A GREAT season finale.

It is probably the series ending, but it leaves an open window for a resurrection of the series.

I really hope for the second.

Thx for those past 8 years.
  • They couldn't have ended it better!

While I did laugh, and cry, and laugh some more at "Swan Song" (cast party episode the hour prior to the last episode), It no way prepared me for this final episode!

Truly remarkable! I love that they brought everyone who had passed away during the 8 years (the staff and regular characters; not patients) and how House also 'hallucinated' those still living. It put most of the characters into neat little boxes with bows to catch a glimpse of what they will do to move on after House "died". The ending was truly a masterpiece and could not have been more perfect!

I couldn't imagine how the writers were going to leave us, and feared an ending along the lines of Soprano's "lack of an ending". This last episode of House was like every great episode rolled into one, with ONE LAST twisted "Gotcha" by Gregory House.

I can count on one hand how many television show's that had an episode that made me cry, this was among the top 3. To solicit such a reaction from an audience over a ficticious character and story in truly an amazing feat.

Congratulations to everyone who made this show work! You created something truly magical and I'm going to really miss my Monday night's in bed with Hugh Laurie!
  • Funny that my first review of 'House' is the final episode.

*THAR BE SPOILERS AHEAD*

I'll cut right to the Chase (Pun definitely intended). This episode gave us everything we needed; namely resolution. The character of House, while a sufferer, was always a misanthropist. Part of him chose to subject himself to constant misery because he truly believed he couldn't change, and more importantly he believed that no one could change. Foreman and Wilson deciding to finally stop putting up with House's bullshit is exactly what he needed to jump-start his atrophied sense of self-worth by making him realize he needed to be there for Wilson even after making mistakes.

People who dislike later seasons of House don't realize something, House's character was never supposed to be static. He was always changing a little bit, whether he chose to admit it or not. Take 'Broken', in which he finally admitted he needed help, or 'Help Me', when he realized that people could still love him. Stacey's projection in this final episode represented where House could go if he finally let this self-destructive part of himself die, which metaphorically happens when he fakes his death. "I can change", while being a simple bit of dialougue, is in my opinion the strongest moment in the show, beating out even the season four and six finales, my personal favorites.

Overall, this episode was never intended to provide closure for the Wilson situation or for House's prison sentence, it was to resolve the characters on the show. House decides to become a new man (possibly after he goes to prison again) and stops practicing medicine, Chase becomes House, as many of us knew he would, Foreman may or may not know House's true fate, but will keep it a secret, and Cameron and Taub have new families. We know Wilson will live out his final days with House in (relative) peace, and we know that House has let himself develop a conscience and is now treating Wilson as a real friend rather than an emotional crutch. Shame Wilson needed to develop cancer for that to happen.

If they ever do a reunion, it would be nice to see where House has done with life after Wilson, and I would hope he has a family. He deserves that after beating himself up his entire life. The writers get highest praise for giving me a character that I'm this sad to see go. Goodbye House, both to the show and to the character personally. We'll miss you.

P.S. Anyone think Cameron's new spouse looks like Greg?
  • How else?

I can't imagine it being easy to close off a show like House. The essence of the show (medical whoduni) can go on forever. What us loyal fans were given was perfect. An hour of House doing his House things. Angry, sarcastic, and full of schemes to the very end. And finally left us safe in knowing that when push comes to shove, he is a good guy (albeit a troubled one) who will do questionable things for the greater good (final months with Wilson). As sad as I am to see my favourite show on TV for the past 8 years end, it was as good an end as I could have hoped for.
  • Already Missed

I have to agree, his ultimate selfish act was truly self-less. As much as feeling anxious/dreading this last episode, I must say that the writers and cast outdid themselves. My whole family has watched "HOUSE" from the beginning. Best show on television!
  • Holmes is where the House is

House will be missed. I will miss house. I always thought of him as the ideal doctor, the ideal healer. As the two easy riders ride into the sunset may they enjoy their remaining lives together. Where was Cuddy?
  • With ALL my LOVE

I knew that House was only killing himself off 2 spend the last few months of his true best friend's life(Wilson) with him.......his ultimate selfish act was truly self-less. We could all take a page from the book of House. Have followed, laughed with, learned from, and grew 2 luv all the characters since the beginning.....I WILL TRULY MISS THIS SHOW THAT WAS AHEAD OF IT'S TIME...THANKS FOX!
  • End of a great series

I have loved this show from the start and I really liked the ending; very Sherlock Holmes with the fake death. I shall miss House a lot as it was unique in having an unpleasant leading character who was actual made likeable by the great acting of Hugh Laurie and the scripts. I shall miss this show a lot.
  • Heartbreaking ending

SPOILERS GALORE: I don't understand all the ambivalent comments about this episode. House is dead. He didn't leave through some backdoor. That's just Wilson wishing his best friend was still alive. I pretty much figured House wouldn't make it, but ws still devastated at his demise. I cried for him, and then hearing the Louis Prima song at the end, made me cry some more. Easily the most emotionally honest episode they've written in years.
  • House

The series ended on a hopeful and clever note - within character and the general tone; gracious and not written with the same sophistry of the mid-series rubbish.

Of course "Bones" would never have been fooled e.g. the lack of wear on the "good leg" after years of a debilitating affliction or the lack of wear on a displaced pelvis and so on... dentistry - pshaw!

Everyone dies - just like "everyone lies" is a bit of a mantra

The only/best friend "exit stage left" of House and Wilson was touching... kudos for a more creative ending than so many other series and a great rally from some mid-series faults.
  • Well it certainly Was a last Episode

UPDATE 2

Would someone tell me--was HOUSE really alive at the end---or is it a delusion of Wilson? severlal people here beleive it was an illusion and House is dead.... Then why would Foreman find House's ID card holding up the leg of the table? Who rode away with Wilson on a morotbike...although it was not beleivabkle he lived through the fire without a burn, that is how the writers wanted us to take it. Prove me wrong.

UPDATE:

There seems to be some argument on whether Hosue Died i nthe fire or is still alive. Explai nto me--those who beleive he is DEAD---who was talking to Wilson at the end, how House send phone Texts to Wilson. I saw no evidence i nthe last 5 minutes of any Delusional references or behavior by WIlson or tell-tale signs it wasa wishful Dream of Wilson. Sin ce it is now up for debate-----convince me HOSUE IS DEAD and the last 4 minutes was DELUSIONAL on Wilson's psrt?

Kutner appears, then Amber, then Cameron (Error--House only sees DEAD people--how is he seeing Cameron? ?), etc......Interesting. Should have gone deeper into what House is truly FEELING and his final views. While every character dissects HOUSE as a man (some too myopically ). While they all confront House on his faults and his reason to be...not much from House. Slightly lacking on his final views. He did say "I can change". I wonder if that was ENOUGH.

What more could House have said--a lot more--let's see---having to train MORONS for 8 years. Knowing his diagnoses are correct and the others are too dumb. having to deal with the system, the misery of Cuddy, the embarassment of taking minimum wage from Foreman. being alone, being in pain, isolated and no one but HOUSE understanding......shall i go on? If he on the verge of suicide in a burning building i would have thought a lifetime of pain would have brought some tears..Don't get me wrong--this was a very captivating final episode..i rated it "9" .

I can;t beleive he didn't die "I escaped through the back door" WHAT? Whjat back door? I saw a beam on fire land on his head---how could he possibly get up and out a back door? Not one burn on his body? Enjoyed Wilson's truthful eulogy. Wish House was actually dead and the last scene was only a delusional guilt trip of Wilson for NOT helping House. He should have haunted Wilson's world for his last 5 months....still I was not moving from 9-10 and the phone stayed off. I don;t buy House could have lived and I don't know why they didn;t let him have his say....PS--No CUTTY return ( no surprise there lol).
  • The imaginary ending

Popular culture is not supposed to explain everything in the way a movie or t.v. show ends. There is supposed to be something left to the imagination that allows us to run the conclusion through our minds and picture what the future will be like and 'House' accomplished it beautifully in their bittersweet ending to a glorious 8 year run. They tried to bring back characters like Kutner, Amber and Stacy whose marks had been left on the show and it seemed a little unnecessary bringing them back if Cuddy could not be there since she was just as much of a force in House's life as the others. The only hallucination I enjoyed was Cameron and it was nice to see her back for the final episode as thoughts of her persisted with the fans since she left in season 6. In the previous 7 seasons, Hugh Laurie has bee nominated for 6 Emmys (omitted for season 2) and he has NEVER won. Robert Sean Leonard has never even been nominated!! A shame since he is largely responsible for who House is as a person and as a doctor. If Leonard isn't at least nominated and if Laurie doesn't WIN his long deserved award, it will be a shame. We'll see what the fall awards bring. Thank you David Shore and everyone for a great 8 year run and lots of years ahead in DVD repeats that I will be enjoying.
  • A Bittersweet Ending

Love the final episode, but it's too bad that I have to say final.. It was great to see some old friends including Amber, in who I still miss being on the show.. No Cuddy brings a bad taste in my mouth, but Stacy was a great remedy.. I wish to know Wilson's fate after this.. But hey, that's what fan-fiction is for right?? Get cracking guys!!
  • hmmmm...

Ok so the finale of this awesome show was kinda cool but had its flaws, yada yada yada, see everybody else. I don't want to go into detail regarding the "errors" because that's not the point and doing so is actually a bit annoying, but one thing just weirds me out so I have to mention it:

Why did House plan to fake his own death by switching dental records beforehand, only to then actually almost die by overdosing(?) on (maybe) heroin, after which he changed his mind again to come back to life... Did he plan to die or not?!?

Why did he even TAKE Heroin in a burning building in the first place, if he had switched dental records with a junkie anyway? Just for fun? And why did the patient (if it was him - but where else would House get someone's dental records?) die in the burning building? House had just saved him, he didn't have to die! Did he still WANT to die?! Why?!

Did House just accidentally overdose(?!?!), did then somehow decide against dying subconsciously, only to go ahead with his original fake-death-plan?

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me: This whole hallucination thing seemed a little forced...

And since it was his subconsiousness: No Cuddy in his brain? Are you serious?! That's the least plausible thing and probably due to some contract crap... Fail. Personally, I would have loved to see Cuddy again.

Whatever, still enjoyed the episode but... meh.
  • Everybody Dies

Not much of a twist that House did not die in the end. But it probably would have meant more had he died.

We got to see the return of two of my favorite actresses, Olivia Wilde and Jennifer Morrison, and we had a ride off into the sunset, literally, for House and Wilson.

It was well-done, but how do you say goodbye to this show? I am not sure if I am ready for that. At least they went out gracefully. Not too overly emotional, but fitting to satisfy us until we find our next TV obsession.
  • Acute Sendoff-itis

I've been dreading the moment this show ends for a while now. Back in November 2004, nobody was sure this show would be a success or not. Fox picked it up on a whim. Just looking around today, we can see how much of a hit this show has been. A character that is known world-wide, a medical drama that put other investigative dramas (medical and otherwise) on the map.... inspiring countless other House-like character-driven shows (Bones, Castle, The Glades, just to name a few). I don't remember watching the premiere the first time it aired, but caught onto the series very quickly. By the end of the first season I was hooked. I watched it every week. I've seen every episode. I particularly loved the character of House because I felt somewhat of a connection. My love of puzzles, intense curiousness, and liking to mysteries. I enjoyed both aspects of the show: the actual medical cases and the character storylines. While the two plots had their ups and downs, overall the writing still remained particularly strong. Some of my favorite episodes that ever aired on TV are from this show. This show was one of the reasons I started looking at TV critically. Looking back through this episode guide, numerous episodes stick out, even after all these years: Three Stories (1x23) is probably still my most favorite. The seamlessness of the stories from that episode can never be forgotten. Others include Autopsy (2x02), Euphoria 1&2 (2x20, 2x21), No Reason (2x24), Que Sera Sera (3x06), Son of a Coma Guy (3x07), Half-Wit (3x15), Ugly (4x07), House's Head & Wilson's Heart (4x15, 4x16), and House Divided (5x22). There are a few more... I can't list them all. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a whole lot of the episodes made for great television. Many of those great episodes made for an amazing experience. And Hugh Laurie carried this thing, the central character who never broke. While others left and joined, Hugh Laurie remained and no one could do it better than him.

EDITED: To actually review this episode, well, it may be pointless. Pointless because I'm biased by my liking of 100+ episodes before this single one. This particular episode was okay. It was different, it was interesting. It shocked us in the end. I thought he died. I'm sure many also did. David Shore gave us both death and life... he creatively killed House and left him alive (David Shore is a smart man). However this episode pales in comparison to some our other hallucination and/or life and death episodes (and we have many to chose from). It allowed us to see some of our previous cast mates over again, but it didn't quire mesh well overall with the current season. The dialogue wasn't particularly strong but again tugged at the heart strings, tugged at the ideas of suffering and life and death. I haven't particularly liked the direction the show has taken over the last season, but that's not to say this was a bad episode. There have been several instances were House had to choose between life and death. It was nice that House chose a new life in this episode. Whether you liked it or not, I think the ride was still as enjoyable as ever. It's been 177 episodes. Overall I'm still glad I watched all of them.
  • well done, its the most satisfied end.. but still they can do another season if they whould :(

did n liked the beginning of the episode, and did n believed he is died neither, but at the funeral i really did and said if it is this the end i will hate the series..

goodbye house,, nothing else to say..
  • Color me sufficiently disappointed

While it was emotional as any series finale would or should be, it was annoying unoriginal. I don't mean that it should have been original to stand out amongst all other TV shows, but rather original compared to other episodes of House! I mean, they reused a lot of elements that were played out since season five. I found the lack of Cuddy to be extremely upsetting.

I stopped watching this show after season 7 (I should have stopped after the first episode of season 6, though), only to come back and watch the finale. There were elements of the episode that were interesting and well-done such as PART of what they did with House and Wilson and the motorcycles (spoiler). However, the fact that Wilson got cancer was really annoying. I mean, it's so easy for a show to score points with that cop-out. If it's down in the ratings well there's an easy remedy, just give someone cancer and a sad death episode and voila!

The funeral scene was pretty neat anyway. I don't know. I mean how did this show go from being some of the best ANYTHING on TV in the first few seasons just being dried up and tired? Bummer. It's just like I said in an episode review for season 6 or 7, they spent way too much time with the storyline about House being semi-open and accepting of his situation being all introspective and what not. There were moments here and there in the older episodes but that's all it was. Moments. For the most part, the show while being serious was very funny and clever. Ever since the end of season 5 it's just been depressing.

I'm rambling. I think you get my point. That's where the writers went wrong. Goodbye House.
  • LOVE HATE

In response to Gericom - The idea was that House didn't plan to fake his death before the almost drug overdose, but that he did it after he escaped the fire. He would not have been able to fake his death without the body of the other guy so the show leaves it to yoru imagination that he snuck into the hospital, fixed Foreman's table with his nametag as a clue for him to find and switch the dental records with his former patient's body.

UPDATE: David Shore answered some post finale questions.

House is NOT dead is the most important part to take away from it. The play on Foreman of finding his nametag under the table was used as a device to show it was not just a delusion on Wilson's character.

Likewise, I love the show but the ending just didn't live up to my high expectations.. Definitely worth a watch and see for closure but I wanted more of an emotional episode just like when Amber died. It didn't give me that feeling, but I will never stop loving this show!
  • Covered all the bases but still missed the beat

i thought house would die but when he did my mind was saying it's a set up and he was going to pop out somewhere, or the phoen was in the ash urn

i felt the return of the old characters was good but like others have said no cuddy ?

as for the patient it was never explained why house was with him in the 'fire' unless that point was cut out and we left speculating they went to get high as final send off but some how set fire to theplace or that was a coincidental arsenist ?

and i would of thought the parole officer would of been a bit quicker to send house back to prison...

then we have a touching end with the two men on bikes about to explore the highway..

and foreman working out house ain't dead..
  • Left me with a good taste, but I was satisfied, not full

There have been episodes of House where I turned off the TV after seeing them for the first time and said to myself, "Wow." I felt as if I caught a glimpse into a man that was reprehensible and pathetic in so many ways and yet complicated, brilliant, compelling, and loveable in so many more. As I watched these, I inadvertently began examining the qualities and the motivations in myself and those around me. These things drew me into the series and I wish they had been there in stronger force tonight.

I love House, M.D. and think it might be my favorite TV show ever (even above Seinfeld), but too many parts of this episode felt like the writers took a shotgun approach to the character. It had the feel of a show that didn't know its series finale was coming and scrambled to answer as many questions as it could. I kind of thought the parade of past characters seemed a little gratuitous, but each one had some nice questions for House; when Cameron showed up, we finally got to something deeper. But everything felt rushed. Did House had really show he was actually capable of making the changes he claimed he was going to make? I'm not so sure. The emotion and psychological depth in his resolution wasn't there. Note: This isn't a complaint about the acting but the writing.

There are important questions about House that weren't answered in this episode that I think should have been addressed in order for us to buy this "change" House talks about. Perhaps fans will say they were answered, but I wonder whether - in our devoted fanhood - we project the answers we want onto the episode rather than admit that they really weren't given. How does House reconcile his godless view of the world in which he fundamentally believes that life has no meaning? How can he rationally chose to go on when he views life like this? How will he deal with the isolation he feels towards humanity and life itself? He admitted once that his pain changed him - how is he going to deal with it going forward? Has he finally realized that he's allowed to be happy? Has he finally admitted to himself that he has dreams - that he wants to be happy? Has he overcome his pathological need for misery? Can he ever be happy, considering these things? Can he really change?

I guess my real problem with the episode was that we didn't get to experience the same level of intimacy with the character of House that we have in some of the great episodes like "Three Stories", "Broken", "Wilson's Heart", "Control", "Ignorance is Bliss", and some others I'm forgetting. Maybe I'm wrong and need to see the episode again, but thinking back, we knew best episodes when we saw them after only one viewing - and then we came back for seconds.
  • Expected Better.

This series finale was definitely disappointing. It felt more like a regular episode than a series finale and it seemed unbelievable that he would actually survive in a fire that long without dying of smoke inhalation or something related to that; and there was no way he had time to escape through the back of the building and still get out unscathed. I think they could have pulled off something better, but given the way the last few seasons were going, it wasn't much of a surprise that this episode was a disappointment.
< 1 2