TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

House Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

Do you think house jumped the shark?

Chaos_Zombie

[21]Sep 28, 2009
    • level: 10
    cmsileo wrote:

Just a clarification if people didn't know. The actor who played Kutner (Kal Penn) was actually offered a position in the Obama administration as Associate Director of the White House Office of Public Engagement, which is why he was so abruptly written out of the show. You notice you don't even see him in that episode, probably because he had to leave so quickly. He is only in the season 5 finale for one quick line thereafter.

Anyways, I really like the direction the show is going. The whole medical focus can only go so far before it started to get old. I started loosing interest in the show until the whole staff change up and they started to go more into character development.

I was going to say this too. I'm amazed at how many people don't consider Penn's new job as a reason why his write-off was so abrupt and didn't make much sense. The writers were handcuffed and did the best they could to get him out quickly. At least his death made House's spiral out of control all the more believable.

I guess this might be a bit blasphemous but I think I may like Season 4 the most. It was the most unique season that had the most twists and stayed away from the formulaic episodes the most while pumping fresh blood into the show. This show has always made changes just when it's about to get too stale and that's good work on the writers part. It hasn't come close to jumping the shark yet, just had some ups and downs like every other TV show aired. A good example of House jumping the shark would be him going bi like someone suggested they wanted to see in the Season 5 finale thread. That would be utterly ridiculous if he had a love interest in Wilson since it goes against everything he's done up until this point and it'd turn off many viewers (myself included). That's what jumping the shark is, when it goes against the mythology that the writers have tried to build for the sake of being 'new' or 'exciting' because they are running out of real ideas. Let us hope the show ends before it ever gets to that point.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dm_esuoh

[22]Sep 28, 2009

I'm not interested in starting a debate because I think what I think and you think what you think and chances are, neither of us are going to change our minds. However, I would like make a point out of some of the things you said.

First of all, I'm guessing the fact that the last two posts brought up Kal Penn working for the white house is in response to my statement that his suicide was one of the non-patient storylines. I didn't mention this because I thought the storyline was stupid and didn't make sense. My point was that it was yet another storyline that had nothing to do with the medicine.

A good example of House jumping the shark would be him going bi like someone suggested they wanted to see in the Season 5 finale thread. That would be utterly ridiculous if he had a love interest in Wilson since it goes against everything he's done up until this point and it'd turn off many viewers (myself included).
    I'm not a House/Wilson relationship person but even I have to admit there have been hints ever since the first season that House is interested in Wilson as more than just friends so it wouldn't go completely against everything if House turned bi. I wouldn't' be able to name the scenes, I just know that they have been there, but I'm sure you could ask any House/Wilson shipper.

That's what jumping the shark is, when it goes against the mythology that the writers have tried to build for the sake of being 'new' or 'exciting' because they are running out of real ideas.
    Running out of ideas? Um, the Chase/Cameron relationship because the writers haven't been able to figure out a way to incorporate them in so that they are doctors. Huddy, because the writers can't think of another storyline to give to Cuddy since she doesn't actually run the hospital. Anyway, the fact that the show started as House solving the medical mystery and now has developed to all these other personal storylines while House solves the mystery in a few minutes in between the personal drama doesn't go against the 'mythology'? The writers have clearly run out of ideas on how to have the personal lives of everyone tie into the cases and have just gone and made the personal lives completely seperate from the medicine.

Let me put this another way. In my opinion, the people that have watched House from the very beginning are the ones that are unhappy with the direction the show has taken. They started watching because of the medical mystery. If someone started watching around the middle of season 3 or later, the medicine probably isn't what hooked them so they don't mind all of the personal storylines that don't have anything to do with the medicine.

Edited on 09/28/2009 8:54am
    Edited 2 total times.

ashleyOo

[23]Sep 28, 2009
    • level: 3
    I have watched House from Season 1, and as the previous poster stated, was originally intrigued by the medicine. But as the show grew, so did the characters which drew me in more. I've enjoyed watching these character's personalities develop, and have also enjoyed learning a little bit about their personal lives. It adds all that much more to the show and its bond with the viewers. I will admit I was a little annoyed with last season, but I have hope in House and will not throw it off to "jumping the shark" quite yet.

Chaos_Zombie

[24]Sep 28, 2009

ashleyOo wrote:
    I have watched House from Season 1, and as the previous poster stated, was originally intrigued by the medicine. But as the show grew, so did the characters which drew me in more. I've enjoyed watching these character's personalities develop, and have also enjoyed learning a little bit about their personal lives. It adds all that much more to the show and its bond with the viewers. I will admit I was a little annoyed with last season, but I have hope in House and will not throw it off to "jumping the shark" quite yet.

This is true for me too. I've watched from the beginning but the strength of characters always were huge for me moreso than the medicine. Especially House's sarcasm and tendency to be a complete jerk and not care. I loved it. Still do and I'm glad there's been less of a formula the past 6 episodes without him talking to Wilson or someone else and all of the sudden having a revelation on what the problem is. I love those too but they have to change things up from time to time. Sometimes I'm in the mood for the more formulaic episodes and sometimes I'm not. I'm always in the mood for character development and House being House though. The relationships all made sense to me too, except for maybe Fourteen, so I don't consider it a result of the writers running out of ideas.

SeerMagicX

[25]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 16

Jumping the Shark comes from Happy Days. It's when Fonzie jumps a shark.

It's a moment, MOMENT in a show, that the show you knew and love is gone. It's a moment, not a subpar season. A show can't jump the shark serveral times. A show can't jump the shark and then be great again later.

I don't feel that house has jumped the shark or has even come close. I do agree last season was very subpar. If you are looking for a current comparison to jump the shark, Izzie banging a ghost comes to mind.

ashleyOo

[26]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 3
    SeerMagicX wrote:
    If you are looking for a current comparison to jump the shark, Izzie banging a ghost comes to mind.

*snicker*

Chaos_Zombie

[27]Sep 29, 2009
    SeerMagicX wrote:
    I don't feel that house has jumped the shark or has even come close. I do agree last season was very subpar. If you are looking for a current comparison to jump the shark, Izzie banging a ghost comes to mind.

Haha, what show is that? That's a horrible idea but it has to be comical.

shui3

[28]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 9
    Grey's anatomy. But since it was a hallucination,I'm not sure how you can say *that* was jumping the shark when House was drinking champagne with Wilson's dead girlfriend in a bathtub and waking up with her watching him? And,oh yeah,he also banged a hallucination,just that his wasn't the result of brain tumour like with Izzie...
    Edited on 09/29/2009 1:56pm

mermayd

[29]Oct 11, 2009
    • level: 19
    Just a comment about what to do when actors leave shows unexpectedly, I thought they handled it pretty well. People who commit suicide sometimes don't advertise it in advance.

Also, does anyone remember when Robert Downey Jr got sent back to prison while he was in Ally McBeal, forcing the writers to make up this nonsense about him running out on Ally without even saying goodbye. This is something that particular character would not have done but they had no choice.

So all in all, House got off pretty easy.

detorio

[30]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 6
    SeerMagic, that is an excellent definition lolz

and

NO, House has not Jumped the Shark yet. Patience people, it still has a way to go and I get excited with each episode. For me, answer is a big bag of NO.

CRaivios

[31]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 21
    It has not jumped the shark yet. But when Jennifer Morrison gets written off, that may be the point of no return of House MD.

detorio

[32]Oct 13, 2009
    CRaivios wrote:
    It has not jumped the shark yet. But when Jennifer Morrison gets written off, that may be the point of no return of House MD.

Agreed.

AnthonysLewis

[34]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 2
    To me "jumping the shark" is a radical change, not just a goofy episode or two. An example of jumping the shark would be: HOUSE: Wilson, there is something I need to tell you. WILSON: .....anything..... HOUSE: Do you remember when my Dad died? Remember how I found out that he wasn't really my father by blood? WILSON: ......uhh...of course...yes....Are you okay......House? HOUSE: Well the fact of the matter is that I wasn't telling you the whole truth.... WILSON: *looking stunned* wha...wh..what do you mean? HOUSE: ......he was my father....and not only that...he's alive. WILSON: *looking slack-jawed* HOUSE: He's actually the head of the FBI......and he's been keep an eye on you Wilson....he knows that you have been killing patients off and on for the last six year. I myself just found out this morning, and I'm coming to you as a friend, my best friend, maybe the only friend I have. I am coming to you now to tell you that you need to go! GO NOW AND NEVER LOOK BACK! They will be here any minute you must hurry!

shui3

[35]Oct 19, 2009
    That would actually be rather cool

Chaos_Zombie

[36]Oct 19, 2009

CRaivios wrote:

That all depends on how they do it. Seeing as they have a fair warning this time I'm sure they'll be fine. Not only that but there's no reason to think everything will fall apart afterwards and it shouldn't wouldn't mean there's a 'jump the shark' moment on the horizon.

steffi_totti

[37]Oct 23, 2009
    Chaos_Zombie wrote:

CRaivios wrote:

That all depends on how they do it. Seeing as they have a fair warning this time I'm sure they'll be fine. Not only that but there's no reason to think everything will fall apart afterwards and it shouldn't wouldn't mean there's a 'jump the shark' moment on the horizon.

Long rants ahead:
    I'd go out on a limb here by saying that I think the Cameron storyline was intentionally leaked to soften the blow for (some of) House fans when the episode finally airs. Using grapevine has been done before and it sure would be done again.

Personally, I think House does a lot of shark jumping this season. First, House is getting nicer and nicer. Character development and changes are good and all, but there's a limit to which the character would change too much he becomes unrecognizable - which is why I dislike the premiere, and would keep treating it as a 2 hour movie that Hugh Laurie starred in rather than a House episode. The hallucination storyline has not just gotten very very old, it should have had its funeral by now. I haven't finished watching the last episode just yet, but if Amber does show up again, I bet the writers really regretted killing off her character. Well, next time, think before you kill

Foreman - 13 relationship started out okay but they have gotten exponentionally annoying you wonder why they bother having a relationship in the first place - she's expecting Mr. Perfect, he's expecting Miss Obedient. A match made in... oh wait, it's not a match at all, which begs the question if the sex is really that good. I would rather have 13 stayed and enjoyed her life in Thailand but with my luck, she would come back in no time.

As for Penn's departure, it's water under the bridge, though for me, the way it was handled was lazy writing in the writers' part. No matter how last minute his decision to leave was, there was simply no motivation to his suicide. At least do a 60 second scene where Kutner saw that his life was miserable. Even though IRL some suicides need no motivation at all, I still found his death very lacking in emotion and execution. It came out as: I have a decent job and great parents but I have no one else in my life and I eat alone every time so basically my life sucks and hey I keep a gun in my closet. His death really seemed as it was thought of while having his Chinese takeaways at home

I'm not a big fan of the writers, if you can't already tell. They do well in the medical drama but they have proven they can't handle having more than 6 cast members, they believe that Huddy sex would make their dynamics less exciting (I read it as they just can't pull it off) yet they made House pined for and hooked up with a married woman and expected us to see it as a healing process. They promised the actors for years that their time to get more than 3 minutes screen time would come, and then decided that it's natural course for the character to be written off. Heck, Foreman - 13 relationship seems irreparable and 13 is in Thailand, yet she is still slated to come back. How far would Cameron go that the writers can't write anything for her? All in all, not very impressed.

LAwLB15

[39]Oct 23, 2009
    if anyone thinks that this show "jumped the shark" (stupid term IMO) needs to get their head examined.......THIS SHOW WAS AND STILL IS THE BEST SHOW ON TV SO STFU AND CLOSE THIS THREAD IF U DONT LIKE THE SHOW THEN DONT WATCH IT!!!!!

anmakus

[40]Oct 23, 2009
    • level: 11

LAwLB15 wrote:
    if anyone thinks that this show "jumped the shark" (stupid term IMO) needs to get their head examined.......THIS SHOW WAS AND STILL IS THE BEST SHOW ON TV SO STFU AND CLOSE THIS THREAD IF U DONT LIKE THE SHOW THEN DONT WATCH IT!!!!!

No, that's not bias at all...