House Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

House's Bio

doarpr

[101]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 16
    prosen8966 wrote:
    doarpr wrote:
    I think I'm getting too deep in this, I need to lighten up a bit again!!!

* Goes to find some more cool fun facts about House for the next post! *

I like your deep posts about House.  They show a depth and humaneness about his character, and they always make me think. (Deep, dark thoughts... no, I'm kidding!!)  They just give me a better understanding of his character, and generally, of all the characters that surround him.

Keep them coming (if you will).  I also welcome 'more cool fun facts about House'... 

Thanks much!! 

I really appreciate your encouraging comment! I'll do my best to live up to these high standarts!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

doarpr

[102]Mar 21, 2007

lalaloand wrote:
    He might like Lacrosse, or at least it seemed that way at the end of 'Paternity'.

I agree - by the way he was holding his cane and by how much he was involved with the game - it seems he was really into it.

Edited on 03/21/2007 4:00am

doarpr

[103]Mar 21, 2007

olgkap wrote:
    Thank you,for making a hint "let it go,already" so sabtl.I mean it.

I'm really sorry I didn't make it clearer that I was referring to myself in this, not you! I just felt I was going too deep into the House/Stacy/Mark relationship - but ít's great to read your observations about that - you came up with details I didn't notice until now and that gave me a whole new perspective on their relationship. So thanks about that and please keep them coming!  

A couple more observations re Stacy: Wilson says House broke into Stacy's therapist's office (House: "Borrowed a key") and stole her treatment notes! (House: "Nope! I made copies")

House is sure that he could make sure Stacy would "sleep like a baby tonight", if she'd "climbed Mt. Gregory" (Hunting)

olgkap wrote:
    The buzzer on his clock is set on 9.19 (Which must be means something,can't figure out what).

I was wondering about that too!!! We'll have to figure it out...

House can get to work by osmosis... (Skin Deep)

He tried the rehab once, the guy wanted him to "visualize the healing". He can do that at home. (Skin Deep)

He doesn't like to celebrate his birthday: "Well, normally I’d put on a festive hat and celebrate the fact that the earth has circled the sun one more time. I really didn’t think it was gonna make it this year, but darnit, if it wasn’t the Little Planet That Could all over again. " (The Socratic Method)

olgkap

[104]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 18

House was shaving his face ''like everybody else'' up until "last year" and Wilson told him he "was looking good unshaved"(later Wilson said he lied,but I don't think he did.House does look good unshaved).BWT,does anybody know if House was "designed" to to be unshaved or they stick to the image HL has in his audition video?I know Hugh made this vid in Namibia while filming "Flight to Phoenix"(he has to be unshaved to play his part).Maybe House got his "looks" from HL?

Edited on 05/01/2007 1:42pm

doarpr

[105]Mar 21, 2007

olgkap wrote:
    House does look good unsheved.

Most definately! It adds that je ne cést quoi quality to his looks.

olgkap wrote:
    BWT,does anybody know if House was "disined" to to be unshaved or they stick to the immage HL has in his audition video?I know Hugh made this vid in Namibia while filming "Flight to Phoenix"(he has to be unshaved to play his part).Maybe House got his "looks" from HL?

I'm not sure if the character was originally described like that, but HL said on the Q&A interview at Backstage West (to be found on YT), that Brian Singer insisted that he would stay unshaved, just as he was on the auditon video. He said they did try it once with him clean shaven but very quickly went back to unshaved.

Which reminded me of the POTW who groomed his nose so nicely - on ODOR - "When you entered, I noted your shirt hadn't been pressed; you hadn't shaved in quite some time." House: "I am wearing a rumpled shirt, and I forgot to brush my hair this week. You've got athlete's foot in your nose. I'm ready to be judged."

doarpr

[106]Mar 21, 2007

It looks like House has moved at least twice since the show started.

On The Socratic Method, he lives on the 3rd floor.

On "Role Model", when Cameron comes to tell him she's quitting, it looks like it's on the first floor, and the door is open to the road. On "The Honeymoon" it looks like the same room, but the setting is quite different, so maybe it's the same apt.

Later on, he lives on the ground floor, with the entrance door oppening to a hallway. On Hunting, the building number clearly says 221b, the same as Sherlock Holmes address.

When did have time to move when he's so busy saving lives every day?

olgkap

[107]Mar 21, 2007

Thank you, for "clearing" the "facial hair" matter.I suspected it came from audition video,but didn't know for sure.BTW,HL is the only man I've seen(in real life or on the screen) who looks good in any "shaving condition"-shaved,fashionably unshaved,with mustache or even with ridiculous ''snowman" beard.Unbelievable future for an actor.

Back to the topic.House is envious toward autistic people,they are free of any social obligations.("Lines in the Sand").

House would keep people (his employees) accountable for their mistakes,but he's never demand any apology (he sincerely doesn't want it) if someone made a rude comment about him.("DNR").I think he's fair.

People think he doesn't care if he hurt someone with his rudeness,but,in fact,he has to restrain himself,because when he really wants to ,he would know exactly where to"poke" to hurt.("Finding Judas")

Edited on 05/01/2007 1:43pm

doarpr

[108]Mar 21, 2007

House had 5 canes since the first episode:

The first was a pretty heavy dark brown cane.

The second was a bit lighter brown with a silver ring - "Guy in the store said it was slimming. Vertical stripe". That one was broken after Wilson filed halfway through it.

He then got a really cool cane with a silver handle that went really well with the Tux he was wearing on All In. that was never to be seen again - too fancy for everyday use it seems.

The forth one was all wood and had a rounded handle. That was confiscated by the PT trainer, who gave him the 4 legged rehab metal one, which was not comfortable at all, so he just "traded" it with a random patient and got instead a folding metal cane with a wooden handle which he currently use.

House hardly ever agrees to talk about his pain. The exceptions are mostly with Wilson, which is sad though, as Wilson never believes his pain is real.

The one time he described his pain: "There's a reason I operate that way... I live in pain. Pain that on good days is merely intolerable and on bad ones will suck the life-force right out of you", was completely wasted on evil Tritter.

olgkap

[109]Mar 21, 2007
    On a subject of  an "apartment changing doctors".Cameron's apartment has different hallways in "Babies and Bathwater'' and "Hunting" and Foreman, who lived in , that appears, the ground floor apartment in "Sports Medicine" mooved to a fancy skyscraper in "Needle in a Haystack"(talk about "the same lousy salary")LOL.

olgkap

[110]Mar 21, 2007

Houses pain was, indeed, very variable throughout the show.The nature of his injury ,the long time untreated thigh muscle infarction,has to cause sireous pain("Infarctions hurt,that what they do") ,but where is clearly a big psychological component in how  Houes feels.He was relived by saline when he thought it's morphine in "Skin deep" and was able to go to work and left the syrige, already full with morphine,  as he heard of an interesting case in "Who's your Daddy".All that make me think that maybe House's latest  "trick" (attempt to get implanted  drug-eluting chps into the pleasure centers of his brain) was ment to eliminate the psycological part of his pain,so he would be able to evaluate the phisical part correctly and maybe get of Vicodin somehow.

House is clearly is a "pro-eutonasia'' kind of a doctor.This matter was disscased a lot in "Informed Consent" and at one point Wilson said "You 've done it before" and House confermed that he did ,when he knew the patient was terminal.He also offered "to give a hand" to John Henry Giles ("DNR") if he confefmed ALS(though,it's  possible House wasn't going to do it).

ecf1141

[111]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 7

olgkap wrote:
    All that make me think that maybe House's latest  "trick" (attempt to get implanted  drug-eluting chps into the pleasure centers of his brain) was ment to eliminate the psycological part of his pain,so he would be able to evaluate the phisical part correctly and maybe get of Vicodin somehow.

That's what I though too. If I remember right, at one point Cuddy gave House a placebo and he claimed he felt better.

lalaloand

[112]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 8
    He has the BOUO too

(btw, if anyone knows what the BOUO really is, DON'T tell me! I want it to remain unknown)

smash_religion

[113]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 42
    I can't believe nobody said this one already:

- House was physically molested by his father. He used to hit him (one day, one room)

- Also he's disabled because of a misdiagnosed leg injury (Three Stories)

doarpr

[114]Mar 22, 2007

smash_religion wrote:
    House was physically molested by his father. He used to hit him (one day, one room)

House never said his father molseted him or used to hit him.

He was abused, though - mentally: "My dad's... the insane moral compass that won't let you lie to anybody about anything. It's a great quality for boy scouts and police witnesses. Crappy quality for a dad" (Daddy's Boy)

and physically - he mentions "being forced to sleep in the yard or take a bath in ice." in ODOR.

Maybe there was more, but that's what we know so far.

Edited on 03/22/2007 2:57am

doarpr

[115]Mar 22, 2007
    ecf1141 wrote:
    olgkap wrote:
    All that make me think that maybe House's latest  "trick" (attempt to get implanted  drug-eluting chps into the pleasure centers of his brain) was ment to eliminate the psycological part of his pain,so he would be able to evaluate the phisical part correctly and maybe get of Vicodin somehow.

That's what I though too. If I remember right, at one point Cuddy gave House a placebo and he claimed he felt better.

I don't want to turn this into yet another "is he an addict or not", but the fact that House abuses his meds doesn't mean his pain is not real. He suffers from chronic pain due to nerve damage. It is true though that when dealing with chronic pain, there are psychological effects - and sometimes even the fear of pain itself can be devastating. The fact that the placebo worked once, is not a real proof his pain is mainly psychological - placebos work as a short term solution on almost anybody, but it is short term and the pain/disease is not cured and comes back soon enough. It is well established through many episodes that he suffers from pain regardless of stress - when he wakes up in the morning for example.

As much as I see it, when the Ketamine was working and House was pain free for a while, he was suddenly reminded of his life from before the surgery. When the Ketamine wore off, it had a devastating effect on him, and it pushed him into doing some very crazy stuff in order to avoid pain at all costs.

He is now less dependent on the Vicodin and yet he is still in pain. He is convinced that his pain problem is not psychological - and I think he's right - after all, when he was pain free he did not use any medications - and also when he used the wheelchair (that could be another solution, but he doesn't want to give up his mobility that much).

He spends a lot of time researching about medical solutions - the pain free nerve grafting idea and the experimental injection into the pleasure center of the brain - and as much as all these sound like extreme solutions, I think that's a very positive thing, as now for the first time in years, he is active about trying to find a solution, rather then just dull his pain and emotions with the Vicodin.

His face showed utter disappointment when Cameron said he "faked cancer to get high". He ended up saying nothing to that, as it once again dawned on him that all the people around him just don't understand what he's going through. Very sad.

ncalimlim

[117]Mar 22, 2007
    • level: 6

KMTaber wrote:
    Jokeruniverse wrote:
    doarpr wrote:
    He met Stacy about 10 years ago, on a Doctors vs. Lawyers paint shooting
    (SOCG). They were together for 5 years.

Somehow I doubt he was telling the truth when he said that... In and earlier
    episode (forgot which) he said he met her at a strip club (am I right or does
    my memory fail me?)

Languages he can speak, as far as we know: Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin,
    Hindi

He was telling the truth in 'Son of Coma Guy', and
    joking in 'Humpty Dumpty' about the strip club. House tends to lie to hide his
    personal life. However, when he promises to do something, he will follow
    through. He promised to answer Gabe's questions in order to get answers. So, I
    would go with the paintball meeting. Also, I could not see Stacy being in a
    strip club for any reason.

Stacy may be a lawyer now but that doesn't excuse her from being in a strip club before. With lying and telling the truth, it's hard to tell whether House is doing the former or the latter. But, I think, you have a point when you say that he stands true to his word. Still, House is very difficult to read. Let's wait and see if he'll mention more about Stacy in the future.

I hope she becomes a regular of the show.
    Edited on 03/22/2007 4:36am
    Edited 6 total times.

olgkap

[118]Mar 22, 2007
    Stacy "wanted to be a lawyer since she was 6" ,so I highly doubt she was a striper 10 years ago,besides she spent 2 dollars on House.By this logic, House maybe a doctor now,but could be part time stripper in his fellowship days.LOL.LOL.LOL uncontrollably.(Damn,this stupid computer doesn't want print funny faces!!!)
    Edited on 05/01/2007 1:44pm

doarpr

[119]Mar 22, 2007

Olgkap you're not seriously claiming either House or Stacy were strippers once, are you??? I think ncalimlim only suggested that the fact she is a lawyer doesn't mean she couldn't have met him at a stripper bar, not more...  not that I mind the image (of House!), now that you've mentioned it...

Stacy did tell Cuddy (Humpty Dumpty) that she wanted to be a lawyer since she was 6 yrs old - "until my second week of law school". So she didn't really like it, yet went on and got her degree and all. What does that say about her? Maybe that she's the type of person who doesn't dare to change things even when they're not happy? No wonder she is so drawn to House, who would go through the walls if he feels discontented. (He was fired 4 times after all, before Cuddy gave him his sheltered position. He thinks that shows she is naive - if she wasn't "she would never have hired him" HD).

When Stacy came back, House started sitting on the roof when he was upset. Stacy said to him "go hide on the roof like you always do" to which he answered "I haven't been up here in 5 years". Interesting.

In HD House says that Stacy had a lot of guilt towards the end of their relationship - "Now would the world be a better place if people never felt guilty? Makes sex better. [points to Stacy with his cane] Should have seen her in the last months of our relationship. Lot of guilt. Lot of screaming."

He also shares an observation about Cuddy - "Cuddy…you see the world as it is and you see the world as it could be. What you don’t see is what everybody else sees. The giant, gaping chasm in between". Great observation. House is really good with observing other people, less so his own behavior. Well I guess that's why they've created Wilson

I think that's the only time House tries to cheer Cuddy up. He came to her office and offered her some genuine positive feedback, tells her she's a good boss. That's very rare for him, but shows he does have a heart when needed... 

olgkap

[120]Mar 22, 2007

Of coarse,I don't think Stacy or House (or any other main character on the show) could be strippers !That was all the LOL's for.Maybe,I 'm too playful today,but the idea, that going to a strip club is no-no for female lawyers didn't stroke my mind.Anyway,I just "threw a joke",sorry if it wasn't a good one.

I love that moment in HD when House made himself to reassure Cudy.He visually struggled at thirst ,the beginning of his speech wasn't really warm , Cuddy hold her breath and then...all this unbelievable for House niceness.And nothing ,but truth.Fantastic writing!BTW,I've noticed ,that House did his speech after Stacy gave him that look, ''how can you...she's hurting..". House being manipulated...Not everyday moment.

House called Cameron "age inappropriate (for him) girl" in "Lines in the sand".I think he really feels that way.(I know HL does)House is very artistic (Cameron said ,"Diagnostic is more an art,than science", maybe that's why he's diagnostician?) ,he likes to fantasize about "teenage patient's daughters" ect., but in reality he wouldn't't go fro it..."age inappropriate" matters rof him.I don't claim that my thoughts are "the ultimate truth" on this mater (or any other),it's just speculations, based on what I've seen on the show.

Edited on 05/01/2007 1:46pm