House Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

House's Bio

Dakotagirl823

[121]Mar 22, 2007
    • level: 23

I like the fact that we all see the show from different perspectives, which makes for some truly intersting discussions/debates. No one's opinions should be interpreted as being the absolute truth. They are opinions and nothing more.

I think what made watching House and Stacy fun is that they could read each other so well that it was like watching an old married couple, especially when they argued. My favorite House/Stacy moments were when they were stuck at the airport in the episode, Failure to Communicate. House was so good at reading ailments of some of the people in the airport that Stacy was getting incomfortable sitting next to House because she knew it would only be a matter of time before he figured out why she wasn't wearing her cross. I think that House knew the reason but he wanted to hear it from Stacy.

I feel that House is most open and caring with people he trusts and is close to-Cuddy, Stacy, and Wilson. House said in House vs. God, "Trust must be earned." I really don't see the ducklings reaching the level of truly gaining House's trust-especially Cameron. Why should House trust her? This is the woman who pimped a date off him just to find out how he truly feels about her, assumes the worst because House had a plane ticket to Boston, and then pimps a kiss from him to take his blood. Cameron can be manipuative just like House but when House manipulates someone he's intentions are good. Take the episode, Need To Know, when House manipulated Cameron in order to get a DNA swab. House was looking out for the hospital and the patients if Cameron was HIV positive. If House didn't manipulate Cameron the way he did, I doubt whether she would have taken an HIV test.

I forgot that it was Lines in the Sand where House said that Cameron was age appropriate. Let's not forget in the episode, Acceptance House told the death row inmate that he was sharing the liquor with that he could have hit on Cameron but he didn't. I think that House was once again being honest with his feelings about Cameron eventhough he was drunk. Hugh has said in articles regarding House/Cameron that Cameron is too old for him but if you are attacted to someone there isn't much you can do."

I think that House as some feelings for Cameron but he will always feel that the reason she wants to be with him is because he needs to be fixed. Season 4 will tell us more about what the writers plan for the future of House and Cameron. Personally, all I see are the writers getting House to open up more to Cameron, trusting medical opinions more, and getting her to confront some of the issues that are keeping her from becoming a better doctor.

Edited on 03/22/2007 3:00pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EmiliaRomagna

[122]Mar 22, 2007
    uhm ... I agree with most you've said, but if you compare the DNA test and the digging about Boston.... it's the same motivation I think ....
    anyhow... the rest is right and I agree that ... no I don''t say it, we've had the discussion

doarpr

[123]Mar 22, 2007
    • level: 16

Dakotagirl I agree with your post entirely! It reminded me of the time when House's parents came to visit, and she let Foreman and Chase go check on the patient, while she ran around to manipulate Wilson into inviting them all to a dinner with House's parents. House can be very nosey too, and always wants to know what others are up to, but he wouldn't go as far as this. She has no limits when it comes to him.

It seems that whenever someone ends up severely intruding House's life for whatever reason, it usually starts with yet another Cam moment. The same thing happened on Half Wit with her making everyone wonder what the plane tickets were all about.

When she quit and House wanted her to come back, he said it was because he needed her "to keep him in his place" but it's really not the case anymore. On Informed Consent she tells House "And it could be a hundred other things that aren’t treatable. You have no idea". House: "But you do; you know everything". Cameron: "I didn’t say that I..." House: "Exactly! You can’t decide if we’re helping or hurting him; if he’s good or bad; or if you want paper, plastic, or a burlap sack. Do your damn job!" - that is such an accurate description of her character, especially this season.

She can't decide if she loves him or hate him - on the one hand she tells him (Insensitive) that he was shot "not because of his pain but because he was a jerk", yet she kisses him (once she knows he's dying... ) - what a weird character she is.  

On Insensitive, when she left the differential to take Hanna see her mom, and told House "then diagnose her!" - he should have fired her right then and there. He didn't do anything about it because he hates changes but he will have to face it soon that she's not doing her job properly and that on this season her competence as a doctor is deteriorating.

Edited on 03/23/2007 3:30pm

doarpr

[124]Mar 22, 2007

olgkap wrote:
    Of coarse,I don't think Staycy or House (or any other main carachter on the show) coud be strippers !That was all the LOL's for.Maybe,I 'm too playfull today,but the idea, that going to astrip clubis no-no for female lawers didn't strock my mind.Anyway,I just "trew a joke",sorry if it wasn't a good one.

I was joking too!I guess we're both not that good at showing that...

olgkap wrote:
    House is clearly is a "pro-eutonasia'' kind of a doctor.This matter was disscased a lot in "Informed Consent" and at one point Wilson said "You 've done it before" and House confermed that he did ,when he knew the patient was terminal.He also offered "to give a hand" to John Henry Giles ("DNR") ifhe confefmedALS(though,it's possible House wasn't going to do it).

It's true that once House realizes that nothing can be done to save a patient, he would support euthanasia, yet on the other hand, he would fight very hard before he agrees to it. It's a very serious issue for him - and DNR is actually a great exampleof the opposite - he risked his medical license because he ignored John Henry'ssigned DNR form. Heeven took John Henryto court to establish he wasn't well informed about his condition when he signed it. He had a very tough time watching them unplug John Henry from the machine - becausehe was sure he could find out what was wrong with him and make him better. And he did. On Damned if you do, he went to talk the nun out of her plan to go home and die, and in so many episodes he firecely fights anyone who wants to give up onlife if he thinks there's a chance he could cure the patient.

You are right that on other times hesupported euthanasia, but I don't think he is neither pro or against it in principal.With House it's allabout the individual patient, their chances of surviving and their oveall quality of life.

Watching DNR again, I noticed it was one of the 2 episodes when House gets a gift from a patient. John Jenry hands him his trumpet and House is so moved by it. The other time was in Lines in the Sand, when Adam hands him his gameboy and he was speechless. Other then that, I can't think of another gift he got- unless you also count the hug Andy (Autopsy) gave him, which in itself was not a gift, yet it was the trigger to him going out tobuy that beloved bike of his, that makes him so happy.

Edit: He also got a red corvette from Joey the mobster on "Mob Rules", but that can also be described as a biribe rather then a gift... We didn't see it since, so he might have had to give it back....

Edited on 06/13/2007 4:20pm

olgkap

[125]Mar 22, 2007
    • level: 18

First by the by doarpr brought up very important quality of House, which was never mentioned before - hi doesn't like changes,I would say very very much.I'm so glad, it's finally explains to me a lot in his behavior !Him wanting Cameron back,it was a mystery for me,what motivation writers believed him to have,because it's clear why the show had to keep Cameron,but wasn't (maybe just for me) clear why House did.It's simple like all genius -he doesn't want any changes!The same thing with Wilson moving in.Why he wanted his best friend out after only one night? It changed his morning,which is unbearable for House.He needed to get used to Wilsons presence and as he did -he wouldn't't want him moving out.And that ,such irrational demand to change new carpet in his office back to the "biohazardous" old one("Lines in the sand").He was against the change.Can't think of something else,but I'm sure now I could fined rational(for the character) reason for the, at thirst site, unreasonable.

I promised myself not "analysing" House-Stacy relationships anymore(because where was written so much about it already!) but "no changes for House" made me.He let her move in after just a week(and women know what a big deal she -is-moving-in is for men) ,he,who doesn't like changes in his life!He must be really,instantly, "unconditionally"fell in love with her.I'm starting to hate that woman...How could she left him the first time,and has any doubts the second?...The "roof date'' in "Need to know" broke my heart...I can relate to House on his choice,I would too go to the roof to hide or for a ''romantic" moment.

P.S.Being "pro" euthanasia means to consider help to die for terminal patients,being "con" means patient without any hope should die "naturally" no matter if he/she wants to stop suffering.

Edited on 05/01/2007 1:30pm

olgkap

[126]Mar 23, 2007

House doesn't accept hypocrisy.He didn't like D.Charles("TB or not TB") manly ,because House suspected him not really believed in what he declared.Someone could say that House "doesen't like anybody'',but I would disagree,he just always trys to be distant in order to be objective.House teased Foreman ,"What's that smell?I think I smell hypocrisy."at the end of the "Acceptance".

House despises cheating in relationships.He always picking on Wilson's womanizing "you love all of them,that's your problem" and he's,usually, disgust (but not judgemental) of patient whom he "caught" cheating.He even sent anonymous letter to surgeon's wife in "The Mistake",which I can't understand, because ,usually, House doesn't mess with other's personal life.Would make a comment ,though.

He has no problem with any other kind of cheating.Med school exam("Distractions"),three t-bone stake covered with salad("TB or not TB") and ,much more understandable, "medical cheating",shrinking down the tumor,to full the surgeon("The Socratic method"),for instance.

Edited on 05/01/2007 1:32pm

doarpr

[127]Mar 23, 2007

olgkap wrote:
    Being "pro" eutonasia means to consider help to die for terminal patients,being "con" means patient wihout any hope shoud die "naturaly" no matter if he/she wants to stop suffering.

My point was, he would have no problem refusing to help a suffering terminal patient be euthanized, if he thinks the patient has the tiniest recovery potential. He would go against the patient wishes and would even go as far as taking legal actions and lie (John Henry was in his right mind, not depressed, when he signed the DNR, yet he had no problem claiming he was). But yes, once he sees there is no hope, he would respect the patient's wishes.

And he has a lot of respect to his patients' wishes in general - would encourage them to do what they think it's best for them, regardless of what everyone else says. He says "good for you" to Jack on Whac-a-mole when he decides he can't take care of his siblings, or Lucy on The Socratic Method when she calls the social services to take care of her son, or when he suggests to give Andy a reason for why not go through the autopsy if she doesn't want to. He's very good with that.  

olgkap wrote:
    I promised myself not "analising" House-Stacy relatioships anymore(because where was written so much about it already!) but "no changes for House" made me.He let her move in after just a week(and women know what a big deal  she -is-moving-in is for men)  ,he,who doesn't like canges in his life!He must be realy,instuntly, "unconditionaly"fell in love with her.I'm starting to  hate that woman...How could she left him the first time,and has any doubts the second?....

Interesting point - though I don't really hate her or blame her for leaving. When she deicded to go against his will and aprove the surgery, she knew he would not forgive her, yet she did it anyway, in an act of unselfish love. She wanted him alive and knew there will be concequesnces to deal with. Was it really the right medical choice? No one can be sure about that - but the result was a bitter, resentful House, crippled, in constant pain and thinks of himself in terms of "damaged" or a "freak"" - it must have been unbearable. She was a constant reminder for what he saw (and quite rightly so, imo) as a betrayal, and also a reminder of his former active and pain free life. That's why he was (subconciously and actively) determined to push her away, and once House puts his mind into something, as much as hates changes and maybe just because of it, he would go with it all the way. He's "not big on middleground" - 'for him it's always all or nothing. I don't see how she could have stayed under those circumstances. House's conclusion to her leaving was that she hated him - he always blames himself for everything, he's pretty big on guilt too - but Like Wilson told him, Stacy "loves him but can't stand being around him".

olgkap wrote:
    The "roof date'' in "Need to know" broke my heart...I can relate to House on his shoice,I would too go to the roof to hide or for a ''romantic" moment.

Yes that was one great scene. All in all, I think Stacy's hesitation there, and her saying she didn't tell Mark, was what started him thinking that this was not going to work. It was clear that he saw that as yet another betrayal on her part - here she was, with that "prescription for her heart condition" that he left for her before he came back to the hospital - he was "trying for romantic" (!) she saw it as "a bit on the cheesy side" (- o.k. I hate her for that! ), yet she's still not sure and is willing to lie to Mark - that for House, is a big no-no. He gave her the choice, but he started to have his doubts right there. When Mark came to him later on begging for his help, it just made his decision clearer. The "I can't make you happy", is true on one part, but that's not all of it: he thougth it would be like the first time - she'd move in with him the next day, and was deeply disappointed that she still had her (very legitimate) doubts.

One last thing about changes - I think that it's quite interesting to see that House is now determined to change one thing about his life - his pain. He avoided dealing with this for years now, yet asked for the Ketamin when he was shot, i.e. he did consider it before but didn't do anything about it. The short time when he was pain free shook him up and now it's once again "all or nothing". He want's to go back to being pain free - and pain managment is not an option. It seems he's ready to do the craziest things to get there, which, considering how he hates changes, goes to show how much he sufferes from his current condition.

doarpr

[128]Mar 24, 2007

House: I know it’s terrible, but the fact is if I don’t keep busy with trivial things like this I’m afraid I might start to cry. (Paternity)

So back onto some trivial things, or I'll start to cry:

* House's answering machine massages are not too friendly:  

On Paternity it was pretty short: "I'm not here, leave a massage".

It seems that wasn't enough to scare people of leaving massages, so he later on advanced into:
    "You’ve reached a number that has been disconnected and is no longer in service. If you feel you’ve reached this recording in error, go ahead, hang up on three. One, two... beep! (Who's your Daddy) 

* While he would not open his mail, (in Dammed if you do he throws the whole unopened pile into the garbage bin), he has no problem opening Cameron's (it said Confidetial, I got curious - Hunting) and Chase's pay checks (Forever).

* More foods he likes: Animal crackers (Daddy's boy), cotton candy (Sports medicine), Tic Tacs (Love Hurts) a salad (hiding a T-bone steak) and apple (TB or not TB) and Fruit Loops cereal (Insensitive)

* More deep thoughts - or "Why does everyone always think I’m being sarcastic?"

House: 30% of all dads out there don’t realize they’re raising someone else’s kid.
    Foreman: From what I’ve read false paternity is more like 10%.
    House: That’s what our mom’s would like us to believe. (Paternity)

- Every minute that we refuse to love one another, another puppy cries another tear.

- Welcome to the world. Everyone’s different, everyone gets treated different. You try fighting that, you end up dying of TB.

- I fear for the human race. A teenager claims to be the voice of God and people with advanced degrees are listening.

- If we're all just satisfied with what we have, what a beautiful world it would be. We'd all slowly starve to death in our own filth, but at least we'd be happy.

Edited on 03/24/2007 3:05pm
    Edited 2 total times.

olgkap

[129]Mar 24, 2007

Question.Why House(and Stacy,presumably) didn't have kid(s).We've already discussed why they weren't married.Let's just say,they both(or just House ) didn't care, if their relationships "legal" or not.But why not to have a child (again,beyond the fact it suits better for the show).Of coarse,it could be Stacy building her career ect.,but House, as we know him, wasn't that much interested in fatherhood either.He was very skeptical in a matter of "who's child it really is" in "Paternity"(as doarpr just quoted) and to say the truth,it's hard to blame him in cynicism,since being a doctor he has seen a lot (I'm-not-so -sure-who- the father-is Jill("Maternity") fun-loving-bikini-wearing mother of six(can't remember the ep. and still out of source,damn)).We know he believes in power of genetics("Genes matter.Who you are matter.")and it's look like he has his doubts, if he could be a "father figure" - he asks Crandall in "Who is your Daddy","How do you know ,if you would be a good father" and seems really interested in answer.I think, House could not want a child partially because he had(I really don't like the whole story,but it's given) an abusive father,so he subconsciously was afraid to be one and partially,because it seems, he'd enjoyed his "obligations free" life before his injury:beautiful girlfriend,successful career("He is a doctor,world famous",Cameron in "Daddy's Boy" . "He was already a legend",Cuddy in "Humpty-Dumpty"),his leisure(I'd say,books,music,cigars and golf,of coarse). Why he would need a kid to make his life more complicated?

Edited on 05/01/2007 1:34pm

Dakotagirl823

[130]Mar 24, 2007

Olgkap, you've given me a great idea for a fanfic story. I knew there was a reason I spend so much time over here. You people are so inspirational.The episode with the bikini loving mom of 6 was Heavy.

House could have a child somewhere that he doesn't know about. I don't think that the writers will introduce a child but they give us plenty of psychology into House's feelings toward fatherhood. I can't recall the episode where House and Jimmy are walking down the hall and House is talking about the idea of creating a race with his "superior sperm." I think that House thinks about being a father but he's just to screwed up to be a good father.

Olga, you touched on all the factors that may or may not make House a good parent. House wasn't keen on the idea of Cuddy using a sperm donor, he thinks its best to really know the person you want to have a child with, which indicates to me that House takes the idea of parenting seriously. Crandell's response to House's question was, "Because it feels right."

Crandell seemed like the type of person who allowed his heart to rule his emotions and doesn't take the time to think things through. Crandell was also trusting and gullible, his refusal to take a DNA test indicates that he takes what he hears to be fact rather than subject for debate. Asking Crandell why he thought he would be a good father was House's way of getting Crandell look beyond his heart and consider what qualities he had that would make a lasting impression on the girls life. Hence, you have to know yourself first before you can be a good parent. I don' House knows himself very well and I think he views himself as having to much baggage to expose a child to. While House may feel like he would be an abusive parent, I think he'd be more of a diplomatic, easy going parent rather than a bully. I think because he's so worldly that he could talk to his child about anything. He'd also be the type of person who made sure that his child knew that right and wrong exist.

I think the biggest reaon why House isn't a father is because his work is his life and work would take presidence over fatherhood.  I'm thinking back to the episode Need To Know when he had the people pleasing super mom who mixed birth control  pills with furtility meds as a means of not getting pregnant with another child. The woman could barely make time for one and she just could bring herself to be honest and tell her husband that she couldn't handle a second child. I think that House could see himself in her place. For now, House's life is so out of control that a child just wouldn't fit into the picture.

Edited on 03/24/2007 7:43pm
    Edited 3 total times.

doarpr

[131]Mar 25, 2007

I think House could be a very good father, and I think he knows it. He is great with kids - he understands their way of thinking, and has a lot of compassion for them, yet I think he chose not to have kids for several reasons:

When he was with Stacy, they were a busy professional couple and it's not very uncommon for such couples not to want to have kids. Another reason for that could be that Stacy never really wanted kids or maybe she couldn't have them and House being House, was probably fine with that. After all, Stacy married Mark 2 years before she came back and didn't seem to even think about it or mentioned it - not even when she was alone with Cuddy and they were discussing some pretty personal issues.

Despite his cynical approach to life, House takes life, love, fatherhood and such, very seriously. For House to decide to become a father would not be a casual matter. He would not think of "having a baby", like a lot of future parents do - he'd think of the baby as the grown up person he needs to raise and prepare to life. Raising a kid demands a lot of conformity, a parent need to be able to teach the kids things he may not fully believe in, just so that the kid would not end up being an "outcast" by his peers. Can House really teach his kid about Santa? tell the kid his teachers are  right though he thinks they're stupid? teach the kid life is great and wonderful and worth living? I doubt he is able to do that.

Another reason is that having a kid brings with it a huge vulnerability - for one part, the parent is supposed to be the responsible powerful adult, which is stressful enough, yet at the very same time, the parent is subjected to huge and constant worries about his kid's health, social acceptance and overall well being. That's a huge load that not too many handle well and I dbout House thinks he can do that better then most. Also House, as a doctor who has seen lots of sick and even dying kids, face a lot of the things most future parents are ignoring, and for a good reason. Yet he's just not the type of person to live in denial, which is crucial for a parent who wants to keep sane and have sane kids.

Another reason is, like Olgkap mentioned, House thinks "Genes matter" and if they matter so much, then it's important to have the "good/right" genes. House hates his father passionately and was abuseded by him - so it's quite unlikely he would want to pass those "tainted" genes to his own kid. He may also fear of acting like his dad if he would have a kid - after all lately they say almost 1in 10 people who were abused end up as abuseres, so that's another reason for him to doubt himself about.

When Cuddy talked to him about the sperm donor he didn't suggest he sees himself as a candidate. Only when he concluded that Cuddy "auditioned" Wilson, he asked her, half jokingly, "when is our dinner". It was quite obvious he did it only when he saw a competition potential with Wilson. I think part of him wanted Cuddy to ask him to be the donor, but if she did he would probably give her his whole philosophy on it and then recline. But it would please him is she did ask him, which she didn't (maybe she was afraid his reasoning against it would influence her stand about it?).

The conversation about that with Cuddy also lead me to think that at this point in his life he would not consider having a kid, because his self image is so screwed up. After the surgery he started to see himself as "damaged" - he calls himself "cripple" more then once, he also described himslf as a "freak"- so it's hard to think he sees himself as a role model. A kid needs a parent s/he can look up to and House doesn't think of himself as such? And it's not just because of his handicap - he tells Cuddy she should find "someone she likes" - but doesn't think she likes him. In fact, I doubt he thinks anyone likes him (in HW he is convinced his team worries about him only because they think he's dying) 

And the practical part of being a handicapped parent is probably another issue for him. Having a kid is very physically demanding, not just emotionally, and House probably doesn't see himself as capable of taking care of a kid. He doesn't see how much he can give a kid, but rather, what he can't.

And finally, it's back to the fact he just hates changes in all aspects of his life and is pretty content with his work, music, curiosity and the world he has created for himslef. House is indeed an island. He can relate to people but doesn't really need them deep inside. He is very comfortable in his own company and thinks most people are boring. For him solitude is not a bad word (unless the writers will change that too much   like they seem to try to do lately). He doesn't need a kid to feel whole, or needed, or important. He is all that without it.

House: Yes, they are everything you'd want in a parent. Unfortunately their kid is nothing you'd want. When a baby is born, it's perfect; little fingers, little toes, plump, perfect, pink, and brimming with unbridled potential. Then it's downhill, some hills steeper than others. Parents get off on their kid's accomplishments. [House picks up one of Wilson's toys which then says "Bend over and relax".] Cute! They'll annoy you with trophy rooms and report cards. Hell they'll even show you a purple cow and tell you what a keen eye for color their kid has. [Wilson bursts into the office, looks annoyed and walks back out again.] But this kid, he doesn't smile, he doesn't hug them, he doesn't laugh. His parents get nothing, the right to brag that their kid picked orange juice out of a line-up.

Lines in the Sand

ecf1141

[132]Mar 25, 2007
    • level: 7
    doarpr wrote:
    Can House really teach his kid about Santa? tell the kid his teachers are  right though he thinks they're stupid? teach the kid life is great and wonderful and worth living? I doubt he is able to do that.
      He wouldn't tell his kids that their teachers are right. He would tell his kid that he/she needs to grow up and face reality. (But who knows, maybe being a dad would change him....)

doarpr wrote:
    I think part of him wanted Cuddy to ask him to be the donor, but if she did he would probably give her his whole philosophy on it and then recline. But it would please him is she did ask him, which she didn't (maybe she was afraid his reasoning against it would influence her stand about it?).

He would give her the "Top 10 Reasons not to let House be your sperm donor" and then object. But he'd enjoy it though. I could see him now
    House : Number 6. I'm tall. If it was a girl you wouldn't want her to be a GIANT now would you?

(I'm not making fun of tall people, btw. I am tall. )

olgkap

[133]Mar 26, 2007
    I'm back to my source(House DVD) and I know the theme which hasn't been discussed yet "What House thinks of death".I think it could be interesting ,since how person anticipate the end says a lot of his/her personality.Can't elaborate right now (too late and I need "refresh" my memory),but will be here tomorrow morning.If someone has any thoughts on the subject,I'll be grateful.
    Edited on 05/01/2007 1:35pm

KMTaber

[134]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 11
    olgkap wrote:
    I'm back to my source(House DVD) and I know the theme which hasn't been discussed yet "What House thinks of death".I think it coud be interesting ,since how person antisipate the end sais a lot of his/her personality.Can't elaborate right now (too late and I need "refresh" my memory),but will be here tomorrow morning.If someone has  any thoughts on the subject,I'll be grateful.

I think it was in 'Informed Consent', he said there was nothing waiting on the other side. Or something to that effect. Then in 'One Room, One Day', he said something about this being the only chance.

doarpr

[135]Mar 27, 2007

Here's what I remember re House on death.

While most of the time House treats death as a personal enemy (All In comes to mind as one of the examples for that), he at the very same time can be very stoic about it and accept it once he realizes there's nothing he can do about it. "Brain tumor, she’s gonna die, boring" (Pilot) or in Acceptance (Cameron: The Death Row guy? That’s who you’re working on instead of Cindy? House: God, I’ve got to learn not to beat around the bush. By dying, I meant no matter what we do. Very, very soon she is going to be dead. Is it still too subtle?)

While he would fight death whenever he can, he also would weigh the patient's quality of life and would respect the patients wishes if they decided they don't want to live - like it Forever, when he told the mother who killed her baby due to her mental state "you do not deserve to die", but he respected her decision not to be treated because he realized she would not be able to live with the guilt.

Once he realizes there's nothing to do, he would take actions to save the living even if it means "hurting" the dying - In Sex Kills, he says to the husband of the woman who signed an organ donor card but didn't want to be kept alive on a ventilator, "She's dead! She's not in pain, she's not suffering. It's just her... meat we're dealing with here". Husband: This is my wife. House: Not anymore. Husband: She deserves some respect. Some dignity. House: I respect the living.

He is not afraid of dying himself - in Pilot when he tells Rebbeca about how terrible the pain was when the doctors didn't diagnose his infraction, she asked him: did you think you were dying? he answered - I hoped I was dying. And in 3 Stories he was willing to risk his life for the chance of saving his leg, even after he went through a cardiac arrest and was technically dead for 1 minute.

He's not a great believer in the after life, though he doesn't really take a definite stand on it. In 3 Stories he says he had visions when he was technically dead, but brings a scientific explanation to that and he says "he chooses not to think this (life) is simply a test".  He doesn't think the human race is so great on any level ("We are selfish, base animals, crawling across the earth. But 'cause we got brains, if we try real hard, we can occasionally aspire to something that is less than pure evil."" ODOR) and he doesnt believe that every life is sacred (Eve: every life matters to God. House: Not to me, not to you. Judging by the number of natural disasters, not to God either. Eve: You're just being argumentative. House: Yeah! I do do that. What about Hitler Is his life sacred to God? Father of your child? Is his life sacred to you? Eve: My child isn't Hitler House: Either every life is sacred or...) yet at the very same time he thinks "your actions here are all that matters". For him, that's the meaning of life and death.

There's a lot more on this topic to cover - I'm curious if anyone else has other insights on this.

Edited on 03/27/2007 10:22am

rn_emerg

[136]Mar 27, 2007
    • level: 1
    Dakotagirl823 wrote:
    I forget to add this. House is a BORED, certified doctor with specialties in infectious diseases and Nephrology.

... he's a BORED certified diagnostician.... LMAO

olgkap

[137]Mar 27, 2007
    Thank you, doarpr.The topic is enormous(I started my "research" and got overwhelmed by the amount of quotes and references,I had no idea!) and you covered a lot.
    House thinks that dieing "tends to focus (person's) priorities" ,what really matters,what one's willing to die for and to lie for.("Tree stories") Because (paradox!) "dieing people lie too."("Hunting") House didn't answer Cameron what he said when he thought he was dieing.I still wonder what it could be?And was it truth or lie?
    dealing with death is a part of being a doctor (and not a small one) and we could see throughout the show how House was teaching his "children" to be professional ,but yet not indifferent."Maternity","Acceptance","Mistake","Informed consent",I can quote ten pages,which is boring to read,it's best to watch.
    Doarpr is right,House isn't afraid of death,both personally and professionally,I think death rof him just the point where he stops caring about this (dead) person ,but will continue his job (finding cause,if still unknown) for the sake of those who's still alive.
    Edited on 01/23/2009 12:32am
    Edited 2 total times.

Phoenix1044

[138]Mar 29, 2007
    • level: 6
    I don't know if this has been mentioned if so my bad. House wears a 44 regular blazer and Hugh Laurie wears a 44 long. House also likes Nike Shox and his shoe size is a 12 1/2. Likes rockin roll t-shirts. and that's all I can think of.

doarpr

[139]Mar 30, 2007
    Phoenix1044 wrote:
    I don't know if this has been mentioned if so my bad. House wears a 44 regular blazer and Hugh Laurie wears a 44 long. House also likes Nike Shox and his shoe size is a 12 1/2. Likes rockin roll t-shirts. and that's all I can think of.

I don't recall the specif sizes were mentioned, so thanks for adding it. As much as I read they use the regular size jackets and not the long as they want to emphasis how little intention House puts into choosing his clothes. It's funny to read to how much trouble they have to go through in order to show how indiferent House is re his clothes -

On Top Secret, House once again used the metal rimmed glasses I advised him to get rid of. Men just don't listen to someone who knows what's best for them, do they?? - Oh well, if he's going to use them again while soaking in the bath, I really don't mind it - there would be enough to distract my mind of them....
    Edited on 03/30/2007 6:36am
    Edited 4 total times.

EmiliaRomagna

[140]Mar 30, 2007
    doarpr wrote:
    On Top Secret, House once again used the metal rimmed glasses I advised him to get rid of. Men just don't listen to someone who knows what's best for them, do they?? - Oh well, if he's going to use them again while soaking in the bath, I really don't mind it - there would be enough to distract my mind of them....

the first time I watched it it was like.... ehmmm what glasses