House Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

House's Bio

  • Avatar of olgkap

    olgkap

    [1581]Jul 7, 2008
    • member since: 01/31/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,499
    doarpr wrote:

    According to THIS season 5 promo - House seems to be using the simple wooden cane he used on WH, but later on it seems he's back to using the flame cane

    Even though I tried very hard I couldn't see the bottom-flamy end of the cane,but it's sure not the one he put on the patient's bed table in the beginning of the ep - that one was light brown and later it seems to be black, so I guess it really is "one b***ing cane". I find that (and as you mention his confident attitude ) a promising sign - at least he looks healthy,self-assured and WORKING.Let's try to be the optimistic girls for a change.

    Hey there and welcome to the "House's Bio" - the longest and therefore the "scariest" thread on TV.com House board

    Nanaluvren wrote:
    Haven't read all 79 pages yet but after reading the first few I was missing House's (and in reality Mr.Laurie's) amazing musical talents. He (House) loves music, and plays the piano and electric guitar proficiently. I bet he owns "Guitar hero" or some other vidgame that requires doing the air guitat (even though we haven't seen it, it would make a hilarious scene!!!)
    Well, reading this can take a hell of a long time,but sometimes I do and find many of our discussions uplifting. Join the club. House (and as you so rightly noticed HL) is an amazing musician ,indeed, too bad the show has "grossly" neglected this side of him for the last two seasons.We all (never read an opposite opinion) hope it'll change asap! As for the games - I heard "Guitar hero" for PSP is about to go on the market - that's sure is something he'll spend some on Wilson's money on.

    CRaivios wrote:
    In Season Three, Episode 58, One Day, One Reason, we find out the House's father was abusive to him.

    He plays the guitar and piano.

    As for food, he loves to eat anything Wilson has bought or made for himself.

    At the risk of sounding nitpicking I still have to correct the title of the ep - it was "One Day, One Room" (but the show also has "No Reason", so it explains it ).As for the food, his favorite was (and I think still is) - "dry, no fries, hold the pickles" Reuben sandwich …but he's not really that picky about his food - otherwise he wouldn have not said "not bad" about Wilson's undercooked staffed peppers. Or maybe he just wanted complement Wilson's cooking skills? Who knows,who knows.

    Edited on 07/08/2008 1:39pm
    Edited 5 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vampiredawn

    vampiredawn

    [1582]Jul 8, 2008
    • member since: 06/20/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 3,558

    I doubt you can tell from the tv that the stuffed peppers were undercooked

    House doesn't seem to be the kind of person who has much interest in cooking proper food for himself, but he does appreciate good food, as long as someone else cooks it (Wilson). To have your food stolen and eaten by House is a big compliment

    Edited on 07/08/2008 1:25pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [1583]Jul 8, 2008
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152

    olgkap wrote:
    Even though I tried very hard I couldn't see the button-flamy end of the cane,but it's sure not the one he put on the patient's bed table in the beginning of the ep - that one was light brown and later it seems to be black, so I guess it really is "one b***ing cane".

    Well because of your post I just had to watch the promo again...

    Yes the one he uses at the patient's room is the plain wooden one, but as much as I could see (wishful thinking? ) the one he uses while walking down the corridor is indeed the flame cane.

    ...and it's quite obvious we need a new episode pretty soon...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shui3

    shui3

    [1584]Jul 8, 2008
    • member since: 05/11/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 563
    yep. Although I guess that shot with flame-cane is cut from one of earlier episodes, like the "ta-dah" and the flash-back. Didn't think I would be looking forward this much to the next seasons honestly, but finale was..intense.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of olgkap

    olgkap

    [1585]Jul 8, 2008
    • member since: 01/31/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,499

    shui3 wrote:
    I guess that shot with flame-cane is cut from one of earlier episodes, like the "ta-dah" and the flash-back.

    I'd say it's all scenes have to be from a new ep - although, "walking down the whole" happened alot in all seasons, "ta-dah" sounds(but not looks ) very much like the one in "Humpty-Dumpty" and I REALLY would want to think the flashbacks are just part of a promo...but ,unfortunately, I don't.I can't say for the flashbacks - not sure ,if that scene has been shot (shown) from these angles in the season finale ,but the rest seems to be the new ones -considering House's look,clothes and overall settings...I'm also not sure ,if they ever did that - to include in the promo old frames.I can't recall such case.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shui3

    shui3

    [1586]Jul 8, 2008
    • member since: 05/11/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 563
    well I do remember his "ta-dah" from Survivor arc, in the classroom. Can't say which episode though because I've watched them only once but I remember he was working on impressing the 'candidates' (I believe he was discussing Brennan, deducting/guessing about his life and why he applied there). But yeah,we'll see.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CRaivios

    CRaivios

    [1587]Jul 9, 2008
    • member since: 05/21/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,543
    Oops, sorry, I must have been distracted while I was typing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [1588]Jul 9, 2008
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152

    CRaivios wrote:
    Oops, sorry, I must have been distracted while I was typing.

    ...and your punishment will be to watch Distractions for at least 3 times!

    Wait... that's not really a punishment

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [1589]Jul 11, 2008
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152

    shui3 wrote:
    yep. Although I guess that shot with flame-cane is cut from one of earlier episodes, like the "ta-dah" and the flash-back.

    After watching the new promo it seems you were right - the flame cane was probably from earlier episodes and he now uses the plain wooden brown one that has zero bit*ing qualities

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [1590]Jul 23, 2008
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152

    In this interesting new interview from an Italian TV magazine - HL says about House:

    I read a theory that explains why women find House sexy. It says that he's sexy because he never gives up. He acts as if he doesn't care about anyone, but in reality he takes care of his patients even to the point where he risks his own life for them. This theory makes sense to me.

    It looks like Hose is afraid to be happy. If he embraces joy, there's a risk, because if it's taken away, he ends up worse off than before.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CRaivios

    CRaivios

    [1591]Jul 26, 2008
    • member since: 05/21/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,543

    OK doarpr, you have created a monster. 32 pages, almost 1600 posts. My question is:

    What have you complied as Gregory House's bio from all this info? Care to post a list of what everyone has contributed?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [1592]Jul 27, 2008
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152

    CRaivios wrote:
    OK doarpr, you have created a monster. 32 pages, almost 1600 posts.

    A monster indeed but imo better then a thread for every minor idea... And there are many others beside me who have contributed to the monster and hopefully will continue to do so.

    CRaivios wrote:
    My question is:

    What have you complied as Gregory House's bio from all this info? Care to post a list of what everyone has contributed?

    My answer is: no, I don't care to.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of olgkap

    olgkap

    [1593]Jul 27, 2008
    • member since: 01/31/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,499
    CRaivios wrote:

    OK doarpr, you have created a monster. 32 pages, almost 1600 posts.

    This thread, the most intelegent ,deeply analitical, made out of admitarion to the greatest character present on today's TV is a monster, because it's 32 pages long?You will die without knowing the feeling.I'm sorry.

    doarpr wrote:
    In this interesting new interview from an Italian TV magazine - HL says about House:

    I read a theory that explains why women find House sexy. It says that he's sexy because he never gives up. He acts as if he doesn't care about anyone, but in reality he takes care of his patients even to the point where he risks his own life for them. This theory makes sense to me.

    It looks like Hose is afraid to be happy. If he embraces joy, there's a risk, because if it's taken away, he ends up worse off than before.

    Thanks for posting. And I think there'a a lot of sense in HL's theory.That Alfa-male quality our friend Namikwa mentioned describing House so many times.Just like medieval knights "without fear and without reproach" he fights for what he believes is right -and women always found knights romantically attractive figures.But HL didn't mention the other side of it (probably because he doesn't feel sexy himself ) , intelligence and hidden,reserved passion he brought to the character as an actor...

    I agree that House is afraid to be happy and that ,just like the whole Stacy arc is showing how sensitive he really is..Because sensitivity is not crying out laud over every sick puppy you see on TV commercials - it's feeling emotional pain on a different ,dipper level.And for him that emotional pain was so intense in "Distraction" he had to induce the strong physical one to overcome it...and only when it subsided he went for a"normal" distraction Wilson suggested so persistently from the beginning.

    Edited on 07/27/2008 11:06am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CRaivios

    CRaivios

    [1594]Jul 27, 2008
    • member since: 05/21/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,543

    This thread is so long because there are so many fans.

    Creating a monster is a colloquialism, not a criticism.

    32 pages is not long, but almost 1600 posts is impressive to say the least. If you visit the forums of other shows, you will understand how much more active this forum is in comparison.

    Credit doarpr for asking such a great question to begin with 16 months ago.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [1595]Jul 27, 2008
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152

    CRaivios wrote:
    32 pages is not long, but almost 1600 posts is impressive to say the least. If you visit the forums of other shows, you will understand how much more active this forum is in comparison.

    Well they don't have a character like House to discuss, do they? And you're welcome to add your observations.

    olgkap wrote:
    But HL didn't mention the other side of it (probably because he doesn't feel sexy himself ) , intelligence and hidden,reserved passion he brought to the character as an actor...

    I guess unlike House he doesn't have a "huge ego, sorry"

    olgkap wrote:
    I agree that House is afraid to be happy and that ,just like the whole Stacy arc is showing how sensitive he really is..Because sensitivity is not crying out laud over every sick puppy you see on TV commercials - it's feeling emotional pain on a different ,deeper level. And for him that emotional pain was so intense in "Distraction" he had to induce the strong physical one to overcome it...and only when it subsided he went for a"normal" distraction Wilson suggested so persistently from the beginning.

    Quite true - though as we've seen on season 3 - he kept trying to find a medical solution for his pain - so maybe he's afraid of being happy, but he still keeps on trying to be. Which brings us back to the "he never gives up" HL was talking about.

    And despite all this - people still conclude he's so depressed he'll end up killing himself... How strange is that?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Namikwa

    Namikwa

    [1596]Jul 31, 2008
    • member since: 08/13/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 211

    Feel so honored since my name came up in one of the recent postings... Have not visited the board for various reasons that have been distracting me... but now I am back,trying to contribute a bit again, just like in the good old times. Plus I also have a new job, with an English boss and I had better brush up on my English... well, here we go...

    I think we all agree that House is incredibly multidimensional, so why shouldn´t he have both sides to him, the "I wanna be happy-side" and the "I do not want to be happy since that is what makes me special" and both are authentic, though contradictory. You need not be bipolar to feel utterly high and vindictive one day, and miserable and sad the next. Without anything in particular triggering one feeling or the other. It´s just human nature.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [1597]Jul 31, 2008
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152

    Namikwa wrote:
    Feel so honored since my name came up in one of the recent postings...

    Olgkap with her amazing memory is in charge of the archives and seems to be doing a great job Welcome back

    Namikwa wrote:
    I think we all agree that House is incredibly multidimensional, so why shouldn´t he have both sides to him, the "I wanna be happy-side" and the "I do not want to be happy since that is what makes me special" and both are authentic, though contradictory. You need not be bipolar to feel utterly high and vindictive one day, and miserable and sad the next. Without anything in particular triggering one feeling or the other. It´s just human nature.

    I agree about him being multidimensional - that's his major characteristic imo. He's both an intellectual who quotes philosophers, and at the very same time quotes "The philosopher" Jagger and loves soaps and Monster trucks... So of course he's capable of being both as you suggest.

    The one thing I disagree on is "I don't want to be happy since that is what makes me special" - I seriously doubt House cares about being special and/or how he's seen by others. And I doubt he will refuse happiness just for this reason. That's totally off character imo.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of olgkap

    olgkap

    [1598]Aug 22, 2008
    • member since: 01/31/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,499
    doarpr wrote:

    Namikwa wrote:
    I think we all agree that House is incredibly multidimensional, so why shouldn´t he have both sides to him, the "I wanna be happy-side" and the "I do not want to be happy since that is what makes me special" and both are authentic, though contradictory. You need not be bipolar to feel utterly high and vindictive one day, and miserable and sad the next. Without anything in particular triggering one feeling or the other. It´s just human nature.

    I agree about him being multidimensional - that's his major characteristic imo. He's both an intellectual who quotes philosophers, and at the very same time quotes "The philosopher" Jagger and loves soaps and Monster trucks... So of course he's capable of being both as you suggest.

    "I want to be happy",but "I don't want to be happy.." would it be proof of being a multidimensional person (which I obviously don't deny for House ) or just a contradiction? Or it's all the same and being "multidimensional" means being full of them? Anyway,I think House would stress more on ,"What is to be happy really?' then "I don't want to be happy" ...Usually happiness is identified with being "completely (and most important constantly ) satisfied" and THAT we know for sure House refuses to accept in life," Yeah, if we're all just satisfied with what we have, what a beautiful world it would be. We'd all slowly starve to death in our own filth, but at least we'd be happy."("Forever") ..But that doesn't mean he is not looking for feeling good and complete - it's just for him "being right,do the right thing" is more satisfying then meet somebody else's standards and being pat on the shoulder.He's happened (was written )to be a rare, lucky one who doesn't need social validation to know what he's doing is right (or wrong).Not many people out there are born to be like that...So I say at the end of the day ,House seeks his moments of happiness just as everybody else do - it's just he has his own criteria and for most people he wouldn't seem happy at the moment he really is as it looks more like exhaustion form outside (remember how he looks right after solving the cases in "Honeymoon" or "All In" and you'll know what I mean ),but I say what his experience at those moments was the most intense feeling of happiness possible...and he sure doesn't mind to that feeling at all.

    Edited on 08/22/2008 2:05pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dakotagirl823

    Dakotagirl823

    [1599]Aug 22, 2008
    • member since: 12/01/06
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,568
    I think the best word to describe House is self-contained which is defined as keeping one's affairs to themselves as well as being complete within one's self. It fits perfectly with the fact that House doesn't need to be told that he's doing a good job nor does he care about the acquision of material possessions-such things have no importance for him. Each of us has our own definition of happiness, House included. It appears in his case that those around him have a hard time knowing what makes him happy but granted, he does have his moments of happiness. I really don't think it takes all that much to make House happy (porn aside) but there are times when I think those around him mistake his moments of happiness for moments of misery. At times, I think he finds happiness in his job but as he told the patient in Living the Lie, "half the patients I save don't deserve a second chance. I would think at times like those, House does his job but it isn't making him happy in the process.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [1600]Aug 28, 2008
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152

    olgkap wrote:
    So I say at the end of the day ,House seeks his moments of happiness just as everybody else do - it's just he has his own criteria and for most people he wouldn't seem happy at the moment he really is as it looks more like exhaustion form outside (remember how he looks right after solving the cases in "Honeymoon" or "All In" and you'll know what I mean ),but I say what his experience at those moments was the most intense feeling of happiness possible...and he sure doesn't mind to that feeling at all.

    Dakotagirl823 wrote:
    It appears in his case that those around him have a hard time knowing what makes him happy but granted, he does have his moments of happiness. I really don't think it takes all that much to make House happy (porn aside) but there are times when I think those around him mistake his moments of happiness for moments of misery.

    I agree - his idea of what happiness is is on such a different level from all the people around him, that most times he doesn't even bother with trying to explain it, because he knows they can't even begin to figure out what he's talking about.

    At the same time, he's always intrigued by what makes other people happy.

    This brought to mind his conversation with Wilson when he was debating with himself wether to buy the waterbed he always wanted.

    House: Who cares, you wanted it your whole life, you're a grown up, you can afford it, stores sell them...

    Wilson: Most adults don't go through life like you, indulging our every whim.

    House: You don't deserve to be happy.

    Wilson: And yet, I am. You?

    (House has his epiphany while Wilson still talks)

    Wilson: ...Amber will think it's stupid.

    House: It is stupid. Live the dream, Wilson.

    Wilson claims he's happy, yet can't bring himself to do something he always wanted, just for fear others will think it's stupid. House doesn't think that the mere fact the wish is indeed stupid is in itself a good enough reason to avoid fulfilling it. He's the one who encourages Wilson to be his own man and do what he wishes deep down. Wilson, otoh, is once again all busy with comparing who's the happier one, what people are going to think about him etc.

    Paraphrasing on House - he really doesn't deserve to be happy....

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.