House Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

House's Bio

  • Avatar of silverlukas

    silverlukas

    [1621]Dec 27, 2008
    • member since: 02/08/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 328
    vampiredawn wrote:
    silverlukas wrote:

    vampiredawn wrote:
    I don't even know if I care enough to continue the discussion But it makes me feel bad for silverlukas who makes excellent arguments and very eloquently so, so I might have to respond out of respect to her if I can get my butt in gear

    Thanks for the nice words, I'm flattered, but there's no need for you to answer if you lost interest for the discussion. ""It is the tale, not he who tells it" (St. King) If you've managed to read my whole post, that would be more than enough respect for me. (and if your or somebody else's heart filled with a tiny bit more belief in House's un-jerk-ness in Season 4 I would be blessed ... but I doubt that happened. I guess some things are really a matter of taste (like Season 4, or the meaning of the term jerk))

    *G* Well to answer really really quickly - I had no problem with that one episode of The X-Files either. I loved when they did something different from the normal flow of eps (I'm an old X-Phile *waves* ). But that's the point - that's one episode. You're comparing one episode to a whole season of House, including some of s. 3 and some of s. 5.

    House was more introverted in s. 1 and 2. When he called someone an idiot, it was because he was angry at them and because they were being idiotic. If he was harsh towards someone (Chase, or Cameron), it was because he wanted to teach them a lesson. He pushed them to make them stronger. In s. 4 he constantly called people names, morons, jerks, and unflattering nick names, for no reason at all. I can't remember all the situations, but I definitely remember that it really rubbed me the wrong way. Many times. House always did something for a reason, and now it just seems he does it because he can. Or because the writers think it's fun, and I guess I just don't share their sense of humor then.

    He was also very peverse. Just look at the episode with the CIA woman. When offering her a job he says, "I have an open position.. on my penis The whole ep was filled with really ugly and OOC references to bodyparts. He does it many times in s. 4 and just recently in s. 5 he mentions his penis again in connection to a woman. That's neither funny nor smart, it's just vulgar. And there is no reason for it. I just didn't understand it, and it really turned me off. He seemed to be lacking his reflective speculative side, the quiet drawn back observing House, and was now just all about the lashing out for the fun of it. Another thing that peeved me greatly about s. 4 So no, I don't think I'll be watching it in a different like, like ever. Save for 97 Seconds and Don't Ever Change (you can imagine why I love those eps ) and also the two parter finale, I have no words of praise for it

    OK, I see.

    As I said above I consider such things as with the free position as jokes and they don't bother me, but I understand why somebody else can be bothered. People are very subjective in what makes them lough or turns them off.
    I don't know if I have noticed that he called people morons and so on for no reason. I don't remember any particular situation (except for Cole, which I already discussed as justified), but I guess he did. But maybe I'm not paying much attention to such words coming out of his mouth, because for me that is part of the whole issue about his character. In Pilot the first patient said to Wilson about House that "It's important what he does, not what he says" or something like that. Of course, it's often very important what House says, but not every word is also a deed. Imo the unflattering nick names matter only if they really harm people and they feel hurt undeservedly. I think that people consider House anyway as a jerk and they usually don't feel very bad when he calls them idiots because they know he is rude not only with them. Maybe I try to excuse him because I love him too much. But also, even if their feelings are actually hurt... well, I think we were supposed to be OK with his imperfection and dark sides. I mean he is considered as complicated character, "cranky" and "wounded"... if his sin is to be rude at times, or even at many times, maybe that's a considerable price for all his other great deeds and ofteh misunderstood genius. He maybe called all the candidates millions of times morons, but still he fired them only with good reason. He maybe called someone an idiot for something too small, but when 13 actually killed someone he left her work there and believed she can do better...no matter how he called her.

    And one last thing about that - maybe he doesn't do it "just because he can", but quite the opposite - because he can't do it the other way. The writers seem to like that idea lately.

    Btw, I knew what you mentioned (about X-files being just one episode) was the weak point in my comparisîn, and I guessed you would cought me , but that was the best example I could think of.

    Btw I never knew what *G* means

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vampiredawn

    vampiredawn

    [1622]Dec 27, 2008
    • member since: 06/20/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 3,558
    silverlukas wrote:
    vampiredawn wrote:
    silverlukas wrote:

    vampiredawn wrote:
    I don't even know if I care enough to continue the discussion But it makes me feel bad for silverlukas who makes excellent arguments and very eloquently so, so I might have to respond out of respect to her if I can get my butt in gear

    Thanks for the nice words, I'm flattered, but there's no need for you to answer if you lost interest for the discussion. ""It is the tale, not he who tells it" (St. King) If you've managed to read my whole post, that would be more than enough respect for me. (and if your or somebody else's heart filled with a tiny bit more belief in House's un-jerk-ness in Season 4 I would be blessed ... but I doubt that happened. I guess some things are really a matter of taste (like Season 4, or the meaning of the term jerk))

    *G* Well to answer really really quickly - I had no problem with that one episode of The X-Files either. I loved when they did something different from the normal flow of eps (I'm an old X-Phile *waves* ). But that's the point - that's one episode. You're comparing one episode to a whole season of House, including some of s. 3 and some of s. 5.

    House was more introverted in s. 1 and 2. When he called someone an idiot, it was because he was angry at them and because they were being idiotic. If he was harsh towards someone (Chase, or Cameron), it was because he wanted to teach them a lesson. He pushed them to make them stronger. In s. 4 he constantly called people names, morons, jerks, and unflattering nick names, for no reason at all. I can't remember all the situations, but I definitely remember that it really rubbed me the wrong way. Many times. House always did something for a reason, and now it just seems he does it because he can. Or because the writers think it's fun, and I guess I just don't share their sense of humor then.

    He was also very peverse. Just look at the episode with the CIA woman. When offering her a job he says, "I have an open position.. on my penis The whole ep was filled with really ugly and OOC references to bodyparts. He does it many times in s. 4 and just recently in s. 5 he mentions his penis again in connection to a woman. That's neither funny nor smart, it's just vulgar. And there is no reason for it. I just didn't understand it, and it really turned me off. He seemed to be lacking his reflective speculative side, the quiet drawn back observing House, and was now just all about the lashing out for the fun of it. Another thing that peeved me greatly about s. 4 So no, I don't think I'll be watching it in a different like, like ever. Save for 97 Seconds and Don't Ever Change (you can imagine why I love those eps ) and also the two parter finale, I have no words of praise for it

    OK, I see.

    As I said above I consider such things as with the free position as jokes and they don't bother me, but I understand why somebody else can be bothered. People are very subjective in what makes them lough or turns them off.
    I don't know if I have noticed that he called people morons and so on for no reason. I don't remember any particular situation (except for Cole, which I already discussed as justified), but I guess he did. But maybe I'm not paying much attention to such words coming out of his mouth, because for me that is part of the whole issue about his character. In Pilot the first patient said to Wilson about House that "It's important what he does, not what he says" or something like that. Of course, it's often very important what House says, but not every word is also a deed. Imo the unflattering nick names matter only if they really harm people and they feel hurt undeservedly. I think that people consider House anyway as a jerk and they usually don't feel very bad when he calls them idiots because they know he is rude not only with them. Maybe I try to excuse him because I love him too much. But also, even if their feelings are actually hurt... well, I think we were supposed to be OK with his imperfection and dark sides. I mean he is considered as complicated character, "cranky" and "wounded"... if his sin is to be rude at times, or even at many times, maybe that's a considerable price for all his other great deeds and ofteh misunderstood genius. He maybe called all the candidates millions of times morons, but still he fired them only with good reason. He maybe called someone an idiot for something too small, but when 13 actually killed someone he left her work there and believed she can do better...no matter how he called her.

    And one last thing about that - maybe he doesn't do it "just because he can", but quite the opposite - because he can't do it the other way. The writers seem to like that idea lately.

    Btw, I knew what you mentioned (about X-files being just one episode) was the weak point in my comparisîn, and I guessed you would cought me , but that was the best example I could think of.

    Btw I never knew what *G* means

    It means grin, that I'm grinning It's ancient chat slang from my days on mIRC channels

    I do see your point, and I do agree that when it matters, he does what he always does, except people to have learned a lesson (in the case with 13) but doesn't punish them further. You're probably right that it's a matter of people's personal boundaries and of course also humor, which is the most subjective thing of all to discuss. We both agree that he and the show has changed, it's our views on it that differes. Some people don't mind, which is great, and others it annoys greatly, which kinda sucks. I wish I wasn't in this caterogy, but there I am...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Prongsters

    Prongsters

    [1623]Dec 27, 2008
    • member since: 03/06/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 74

    Woah! Lots of pages to read. Though I won't.
    I think I'm one of the few that likes the changes in House and finds reasons for it.

    In the first seasons, House has accepted that he has no purpose in life so he just does his job making sure in the meantime that he finds ways of enjoying himself by solving puzzles. As time goes on he changes, not finding the solution to puzzles so entertaining. His obsession with reasons and puzzles drives him mad(sticking a knife in a plug, nearly killing himself to recover his memory. So naturally he becomes angrier, less patient, finds insulting people more liberating. He gets tired of puzzles and creates new ones for himself(the whole new team arc, the Christmas episodes in both 4th and 5th seasons). Also his older team's betrayal dealt him a new blow. Just when he started to find peace, to have a new family, they leave and leave him alone like so many other times. It reminded him of every bad thing that had happened to him.

    House also begins to develop a liking to people like him(lucas the pi, the guy who took him hostage, girl from one day, one room) . He is starting to get desperate. He knows nobody can give him an answer, yet he does it anyway, no more a cool, controlled person. The Cuddy arc's purpose is mainly to show that House is loosing hope, breaking down and begins to take interest in a normal life again. He changes his mind at the last minute and doesn't knock. He still has doubts and plays a cat and mouse game with her, gets a second chance, takes it. So far I haven't an idea why. Point is, House is going to change in the next few episodes. Either they want him back in the first season or more out of control than ever.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shui3

    shui3

    [1624]Dec 27, 2008
    • member since: 05/11/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 563
    Interesting way of looking at it.And it's good you found some reason for his behaviour.
    I always thought House is aware of his purpose for living and that is to solve puzzle and save people's lifes. If he was living just by seeking distraction in medicine I don't think he would've fought to stay alive and we've seen the many opportunities for him to take the easy way out,so to speak.
    Doing something he's extremely good at,in fact surpasses people in his field and is passionate about is a very good reason to live. He knows he's the best and he loves what he does,I always thought that this, for him, is quite enough. When there's nothing to occupy his mind with, then he's seeking distraction with his many hobbies.

    He's been connecting with people since season 1,usually those who,like him,never fit in,either by mental disorder or just by their achievments, way of thinking,lifestyle....

    He did become more forceful in self-destruction after ketamine failed and his behaviour became more agressive(like his wheelchair bet and basically acting like he owns the hospital) then Tritter arc got him into the lowest point from where he came back to his usual point with no real consequences. There was some aftermath in first epi or two after Words and deeds,but then all was forgotten. He tried one more time in Insensitive and then in Half-Wit to deal with pain but even that failed.

    Season 3 ended with his team leaving but I didn't see him missing them much.House is a creature of habit,I think he was more attached to the presence of them not the actual people,if it makes sense,like in episode Airborne(which I like to forget usually),he chose the 'team' because he was used to their way of reacting and he could think through familiar patterns. In 'Alone' you could see he was still not over being alone(heh)so he used the janitor(how I miss him) to fill in the blank. His mind works best when he's using a sounding board and the more familiar it is,the faster DDX goes.
    Season 4 was a light season for House,he fought against hiring a team but when he was finally forced to,he took control back by turning it all into a game.
    In 97 seconds he put the knife into electrical socket to almost die,but it's debetable whether it was desperation,depression or merely curiosity,or all three...the clinic guy's passion stirred curiosity and the idea,Wilson's words just turned it into a challenge and we know House has always been interested in philosophical questions about life,truth,...perhaps in hope to see there is something other than chaos,that life has a sense of order,fairness,that there is something behind our mundane lives or to be certain there isn't and what better way to make the experiment then by copying that guy and making sure he would survive to tell the tale.
    In season 4 he connected with the wheelchair guy,Cate,got a crush on CIA girl,went to church to see that donkey girl/hooker with the creepy smile and became obsessed with Wilson's dating life. Toying with his team as well. There was barely any interest in the medicine at the time,just play,and I'm not sure whether this was sloppy writing(with the strike and all) or it was intentional and House was doing everything to find "something to smile about" as coping mechanism to last year.
    The angst came in last two episodes full-force(although there was some in-between as well),he went to a bar drinking alone(do you think it had something to do with his dad dying?I'm kinda hoping to find continuity anywhere)and we know what happened next. Season 5 had him trying to keep Wilson but no sign(or I missed it) of PTSD or even any after-effects from DBS,apart from one or two mentions.Then the hiring of the PI for distraction,amusement,spying on Wilson and his team,Wilson came back and he became clingy for an episode but the Cuddy pranced by with her cleveage and baby so he found another person where he might lose the no.1 priority so he started obsessing over her,probably tried to convince himself to fall in love just so he could have a priority claim over someone.And since Cuddy was vulnerable and irrational,their scenes turned into a weird romance novel and I guess we were meant to believe he fell in love for real while she fell in love with the new baby and forgot about him.Cases?um,I guess during all that emotionalism with Cuddy,Wilson,new team,old team,sick hostage takers,Christmas,etc,he kinda forgot about it...or writers did,so did they forget Greg House...they still want him to be the same yet they keep changing him.Perhaps you're right and this is all intentional as part of character development but sometimes it more seems to be just House going crazy and obnoxious for entertainment value,designed by different writers,not so much clever changes in the character...

    God,this is long...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Prongsters

    Prongsters

    [1625]Dec 27, 2008
    • member since: 03/06/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 74

    shui3 wrote:
    Interesting way of looking at it.And it's good you found some reason for his behaviour. I always thought House is aware of his purpose for living and that is to solve puzzle and save people's lifes. If he was living just by seeking distraction in medicine I don't think he would've fought to stay alive and we've seen the many opportunities for him to take the easy way out,so to speak. Doing something he's extremely good at,in fact surpasses people in his field and is passionate about is a very good reason to live. He knows he's the best and he loves what he does,I always thought that this, for him, is quite enough. When there's nothing to occupy his mind with, then he's seeking distraction with his many hobbies. He's been connecting with people since season 1,usually those who,like him,never fit in,either by mental disorder or just by their achievments, way of thinking,lifestyle.... He did become more forceful in self-destruction after ketamine failed and his behaviour became more agressive(like his wheelchair bet and basically acting like he owns the hospital) then Tritter arc got him into the lowest point from where he came back to his usual point with no real consequences. There was some aftermath in first epi or two after Words and deeds,but then all was forgotten. He tried one more time in Insensitive and then in Half-Wit to deal with pain but even that failed. Season 3 ended with his team leaving but I didn't see him missing them much.House is a creature of habit,I think he was more attached to the presence of them not the actual people,if it makes sense,like in episode Airborne(which I like to forget usually),he chose the 'team' because he was used to their way of reacting and he could think through familiar patterns. In 'Alone' you could see he was still not over being alone(heh)so he used the janitor(how I miss him) to fill in the blank. His mind works best when he's using a sounding board and the more familiar it is,the faster DDX goes. Season 4 was a light season for House,he fought against hiring a team but when he was finally forced to,he took control back by turning it all into a game. In 97 seconds he put the knife into electrical socket to almost die,but it's debetable whether it was desperation,depression or merely curiosity,or all three...the clinic guy's passion stirred curiosity and the idea,Wilson's words just turned it into a challenge and we know House has always been interested in philosophical questions about life,truth,...perhaps in hope to see there is something other than chaos,that life has a sense of order,fairness,that there is something behind our mundane lives or to be certain there isn't and what better way to make the experiment then by copying that guy and making sure he would survive to tell the tale. In season 4 he connected with the wheelchair guy,Cate,got a crush on CIA girl,went to church to see that donkey girl/hooker with the creepy smile and became obsessed with Wilson's dating life. Toying with his team as well. There was barely any interest in the medicine at the time,just play,and I'm not sure whether this was sloppy writing(with the strike and all) or it was intentional and House was doing everything to find "something to smile about" as coping mechanism to last year. The angst came in last two episodes full-force(although there was some in-between as well),he went to a bar drinking alone(do you think it had something to do with his dad dying?I'm kinda hoping to find continuity anywhere)and we know what happened next. Season 5 had him trying to keep Wilson but no sign(or I missed it) of PTSD or even any after-effects from DBS,apart from one or two mentions.Then the hiring of the PI for distraction,amusement,spying on Wilson and his team,Wilson came back and he became clingy for an episode but the Cuddy pranced by with her cleveage and baby so he found another person where he might lose the no.1 priority so he started obsessing over her,probably tried to convince himself to fall in love just so he could have a priority claim over someone.And since Cuddy was vulnerable and irrational,their scenes turned into a weird romance novel and I guess we were meant to believe he fell in love for real while she fell in love with the new baby and forgot about him.Cases?um,I guess during all that emotionalism with Cuddy,Wilson,new team,old team,sick hostage takers,Christmas,etc,he kinda forgot about it...or writers did,so did they forget Greg House...they still want him to be the same yet they keep changing him.Perhaps you're right and this is all intentional as part of character development but sometimes it more seems to be just House going crazy and obnoxious for entertainment value,designed by different writers,not so much clever changes in the character... God,this is long...

    I was talking about purpose as in the reason any of us lives. House firmly believes that God doesn't exist. In one day, one room, the writers gave us what was in House's head(or at least that's my take in it) if God doesn't exist then our lives doesn't matter. If there is a God, he's not the one from the bible therefore we have no clear directions to what we should do in life therefore we still don't know the reason we live(this can be subjective however as it coincides with my belief). House lived with the knowledge that his life is meaningless for the better part of his life but loosing the ability to walk again, loosing his team, and other things have driven him to more actively hate life.He therefore clings to trivial matters more than he used to.

    As for loosing his team, I agree that it's more about the enabling that he looses. House hates change. If nobody gave him challenges, if nobody listened to his semantics, then he looses his meaning to life(the one he gave it, solving puzzles and constantly being right). Though he didn't care what each offered, he cared that they were there.

    True, the games from the first part of season 4 don't seem to connect with his older team leaving.It's more to make sure that this one stays, or rather that he has a team that can replace his older one. At the start of the show,everyone is shocked every time he proposed something crazy. This way, they can get used to him before joining a team. The fact that they represent a member of the earlier team(Taub=Foreman=the grouchy one that thinks he's better than House, Chase=Kutner=guy with special upbringing and different nationality, 13=Cameron= whiny girl) wants us to know that House likes to keep things the way they were.

    The loosing of Wilson was dealt in a similar way. He tried to find a substitute for Wilson and he finally found it in Lucas. We know that Wilson came back so Lucas was gone(too bad, I liked the guy and House's conversations with him were interesting).

    Cuddy was House's way of giving up and become normal.If he had a relationship with someone then maybe he could be happy and ignore his questions. Similarly as he did with Stacy, ending in breaking up with her as Wilson says because he likes being misarable and searching for the truth. Keep in mind that then he wasn't searching for the truth as now so he could hold on to a relationship for a short while. If the writers want a 6th season they better not make House normal.

    True, this can all be me trying to make sense of the show. Btw, there's a video on youtube about House's meaning of life. Just search "meaning of life(house)"

    Edited on 12/27/2008 3:54pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of silverlukas

    silverlukas

    [1626]Dec 28, 2008
    • member since: 02/08/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 328

    vampiredawn wrote:
    It means grin, that I'm grinning It's ancient chat slang from my days on mIRC channels

    I do see your point, and I do agree that when it matters, he does what he always does, except people to have learned a lesson (in the case with 13) but doesn't punish them further. You're probably right that it's a matter of people's personal boundaries and of course also humor, which is the most subjective thing of all to discuss. We both agree that he and the show has changed, it's our views on it that differes. Some people don't mind, which is great, and others it annoys greatly, which kinda sucks. I wish I wasn't in this caterogy, but there I am...

    "Ancient chat slang", now it's me who's grinning. In my ancient experience with Internet, mIRC was that icon on the desktops in the internet club that I never used.

    I'm satisfied with your conclusion on our argument. *shake hands*. Though it's actually a sad one, especially for you. 'My sympathies.' (The last words in Birthmarks *G*)

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vampiredawn

    vampiredawn

    [1627]Dec 28, 2008
    • member since: 06/20/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 3,558
    silverlukas wrote:

    vampiredawn wrote:
    It means grin, that I'm grinning It's ancient chat slang from my days on mIRC channels

    I do see your point, and I do agree that when it matters, he does what he always does, except people to have learned a lesson (in the case with 13) but doesn't punish them further. You're probably right that it's a matter of people's personal boundaries and of course also humor, which is the most subjective thing of all to discuss. We both agree that he and the show has changed, it's our views on it that differes. Some people don't mind, which is great, and others it annoys greatly, which kinda sucks. I wish I wasn't in this caterogy, but there I am...

    "Ancient chat slang", now it's me who's grinning. In my ancient experience with Internet, mIRC was that icon on the desktops in the internet club that I never used.

    IRC was where I met up with fellow X-Files fans It was the very first place I learned to chat. It was only years later I read that mIRC was for "hard core" chatters. That made me LOL

    silverlukas wrote:
    I'm satisfied with your conclusion on our argument. *shake hands*. Though it's actually a sad one, especially for you. 'My sympathies.' (The last words in Birthmarks *G*)

    ... not like that other conversation of ours that I owe you a response to And you'll get it, don't worry

    Thanks for your sympathies I will keep watching the show, though, I'm not ready to let it go yet

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vampiredawn

    vampiredawn

    [1628]Dec 28, 2008
    • member since: 06/20/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 3,558
    Wow, shui! Someone was in a talkative mood

    The changes or the themes in House seem rather chaotic to me. I don't see a thread through how the seasons deal with House. There are some moments where there's progression, but then just as many with degression It all seems rather random to me, and more depending on the writer's moods than actual continuity.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [1630]Jan 10, 2009
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152
    shui3 wrote:
    Cases? I guess during all that emotionalism with Cuddy,Wilson,new team,old team,sick hostage takers,Christmas,etc,he kinda forgot about it...or writers did,so did they forget Greg House...they still want him to be the same yet they keep changing him.Perhaps you're right and this is all intentional as part of character development but sometimes it more seems to be just House going crazy and obnoxious for entertainment value,designed by different writers,not so much clever changes in the character...

    Imo that's the major problem in the last few episodes. The writers have to deal with so much around there's hardly any House in the House anymore. I don't watch House to end up with a Fourteen kiss at the end of the Xmas episode and I doubt many do.

    It feels like the writers are losing the whole point of the show. Reading a few earlier posts in this thread makes it clearer that the depth of House's character is now exchanged with superficial gimmicks. Maybe it's recoverable - I hope - but in any case the damage is done...

    Prongsters wrote:
    House lived with the knowledge that his life is meaningless for the better part of his life but loosing the ability to walk again, loosing his team, and other things have driven him to more actively hate life.He therefore clings to trivial matters more than he used to.

    I don't see what's the foundation to the claim "House actively hates life"? Imo he never thought his life was meaningless nor he hates life - the whole purpose of his life is to maintain life - because he doesn't believe in the after life (though he keeps experimenting... )

    Prongsters wrote:
    Cuddy was House's way of giving up and become normal.If he had a relationship with someone then maybe he could be happy and ignore his questions. Similarly as he did with Stacy, ending in breaking up with her as Wilson says because he likes being misarable and searching for the truth. Keep in mind that then he wasn't searching for the truth as now so he could hold on to a relationship for a short while. If the writers want a 6th season they better not make House normal.

    Imo Stacy and Cuddy don't stand on the same level. Cuddy is more of an easy way out he tries every now and then, but imo she doesn't have the intellectual depth nor the physical chemistry Stacy had. I don't think Cuddy is a match for him - and they both seem know it.

    As for Stacy - I always thought Wilson got it all wrong - House doesn't "like to be miserable" - quite the contrary. But he is cursed with the ability to see the end of the process - and to see reality for what it is. As much as he wanted to be with Stacy, he also was wise enough to understand that the circumstances have changed and that things can't go back to the way they were. Imo if he really liked being miserable - he would have told her to move in with him asap...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Prongsters

    Prongsters

    [1631]Jan 10, 2009
    • member since: 03/06/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 74
    doarpr wrote:

    Prongsters wrote:
    House lived with the knowledge that his life is meaningless for the better part of his life but loosing the ability to walk again, loosing his team, and other things have driven him to more actively hate life.He therefore clings to trivial matters more than he used to.

    I don't see what's the foundation to the claim "House actively hates life"? Imo he never thought his life was meaningless nor he hates life - the whole purpose of his life is to maintain life - because he doesn't believe in the after life (though he keeps experimenting... )

    Prongsters wrote:
    Cuddy was House's way of giving up and become normal.If he had a relationship with someone then maybe he could be happy and ignore his questions. Similarly as he did with Stacy, ending in breaking up with her as Wilson says because he likes being misarable and searching for the truth. Keep in mind that then he wasn't searching for the truth as now so he could hold on to a relationship for a short while. If the writers want a 6th season they better not make House normal.

    Imo Stacy and Cuddy don't stand on the same level. Cuddy is more of an easy way out he tries every now and then, but imo she doesn't have the intellectual depth nor the physical chemistry Stacy had. I don't think Cuddy is a match for him - and they both seem know it.

    As for Stacy - I always thought Wilson got it all wrong - House doesn't "like to be miserable" - quite the contrary. But he is cursed with the ability to see the end of the process - and to see reality for what it is. As much as he wanted to be with Stacy, he also was wise enough to understand that the circumstances have changed and that things can't go back to the way they were. Imo if he really liked being miserable - he would have told her to move in with him asap...

    If he doesn't believe in after life then he believes his life is meaningless. Because why live if the end result is the same for everybody. That also motivates him to cherish his life however meaningless it is. The alternative sucks too much. The fact that he saves lives is more of a consequence of his puzzles. Like vicodin, it doesn't really take his pain away but for a short while it eases it.You do have a point though. In "No reason", Moriarty(the shooter)asks him if he really thought that his purpose is to sacrifice himself to save people. We know Moriarty was actually House's conscience so maybe House did believe he was doing that or it was his brain's method of telling him to stop pretending that it gives him meaning.

    I never said that Cuddy is on the same level as Stacy. I don't remember much about Stacy but I realise that House and Cuddy don't make a match. I meant that him being involved with Cuddy would mean that he accepts that he has no answer(meaning of life and all). Because in this case he would become more normal by trying to maintain a relationship. He considered having a relationship mainly because of this, because he knew that he would never know. In the end he realised that he was just fooling himself again... or will realise anyway. He didn't leave Stacy because he wanted to be miserable, he left her because he knew that he couldn't maintain a relationship in his current status. Status making him miserable. But his life as miserable as it is still makes him happier than any other lifestyle and he can't turn back to a normal life anyway so why bother pretending?

    Normal by the way is someone who doesn't see life for every aspect of it and just go with the flow.

    Oh, and I know that I might be wrong. This is just how I see House. And we'll probably keep disagreeing. Religious much?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [1632]Jan 11, 2009
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152

    Prongsters wrote:
    If he doesn't believe in after life then he believes his life is meaningless. Because why live if the end result is the same for everybody.

    I guess you're not familiar with the concept of a secular meaningful life? A shame.

    Prongsters wrote:
    I never said that Cuddy is on the same level as Stacy. I don't remember much about Stacy but I realise that House and Cuddy don't make a match. I meant that him being involved with Cuddy would mean that he accepts that he has no answer(meaning of life and all). Because in this case he would become more normal by trying to maintain a relationship. He considered having a relationship mainly because of this, because he knew that he would never know. In the end he realised that he was just fooling himself again... or will realise anyway. He didn't leave Stacy because he wanted to be miserable, he left her because he knew that he couldn't maintain a relationship in his current status. Status making him miserable. But his life as miserable as it is still makes him happier than any other lifestyle and he can't turn back to a normal life anyway so why bother pretending?

    Normal by the way is someone who doesn't see life for every aspect of it and just go with the flow.

    Oh, and I know that I might be wrong. This is just how I see House. And we'll probably keep disagreeing. Religious much?

    I can agree or disagree with posts that are at least somewhat coherent. I'm afraid yours just isn't.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shui3

    shui3

    [1633]Jan 11, 2009
    • member since: 05/11/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 563
    Religions like to claim that we live for the afterlife,they judge our lives on how it will affect us in the moment that we'll die. If science looks forward,religions look back.
    That said, I don't think House gave up on answers to the meaning of life,afterlife,God,many philosophic and thologist beauties. He's just cynical and became even more so because he can't just blindly trust in a diety he has no proof of existing...especially with the way religions butcher God and teachings and reconstruct them to their own liking so it's easier to manipulate people,but that's another topic...
    So he keeps questioning his role in the world(as in No Reason f.e.),the fairness(Wilson's Heart)of the universe,etc. but he's dismissing the answers that he can't prove.
    If one can't agree with blind faith,it's natural for a person to look for answers elsewhere and find meaning in things that don't have to do with any divine judgment or karma(unless they just don't care but House is far from that type). In that youtube link you gave House said that what we do here matters,our actions matter. If he finds meaning in life,then his life is meaningfull to him,regardless of the afterlife.
    If House gave up on finding answers the show could end very quickly.No one save the shippers would want to watch House 'settling' in a relationship and become content with not knowing.This drive to find answers is what makes him a great diagnostician,he'd be very smart but ordinary doctor without it.Which is why I don't think House is trying to find normality with Cuddy but more like the writers having fun and DS not really caring all that much about the progress of the show.Not that I'm cynical or anything.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of anmakus

    anmakus

    [1634]Jan 11, 2009
    • member since: 03/12/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 498
    Prongsters wrote:

    If he doesn't believe in after life then he believes his life is meaningless. Because why live if the end result is the same for everybody. That also motivates him to cherish his life however meaningless it is. The alternative sucks too much. The fact that he saves lives is more of a consequence of his puzzles. Like vicodin, it doesn't really take his pain away but for a short while it eases it.You do have a point though. In "No reason", Moriarty(the shooter)asks him if he really thought that his purpose is to sacrifice himself to save people. We know Moriarty was actually House's conscience so maybe House did believe he was doing that or it was his brain's method of telling him to stop pretending that it gives him meaning.

    Afterlife and meaning of life are not the same thing. In fact, in Three Stories he said (Im paraphrasing) that one needs to make the best of life, if it's the only one we've got. But I suppose view on "meaning" could change - some people find it to mean realigion, some science, some family (have kids, etc).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of katethegreat314

    katethegreat314

    [1635]Jan 11, 2009
    • member since: 11/03/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 16

    He became a cheerleader to get a girl (adverse effects)

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of olgkap

    olgkap

    [1636]Jan 11, 2009
    • member since: 01/31/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,499

    shui3 wrote:

    That said, I don't think House gave up on answers to the meaning of life,afterlife,God,many philosophic and thologist beauties. He's just cynical and became even more so because he can't just blindly trust in a diety he has no proof of existing...

    House we knew sure didn't give up -never will.

    shui3 wrote:
    If one can't agree with blind faith,it's natural for a person to look for answers elsewhere and find meaning in things that don't have to do with any divine judgment or karma(unless they just don't care but House is far from that type).
    And his cynicism doesn't prevent him from caring he just cursed to see the world for what it is -no illusions,no rationalizations. It's not easy,but it is simple..

    shui3 wrote:
    House said that what we do here matters,our actions matter. If he finds meaning in life,then his life is meaningful to him,regardless of the afterlife.
    I completely agree.That's what House's line ," I find it more comforting to believe that this simply isn't a test." means imo..

    shui3 wrote:
    If House gave up on finding answers the show could end very quickly.No one save the shippers would want to watch House 'settling' in a relationship and become content with not knowing.This drive to find answers is what makes him a great diagnostician,he'd be very smart but ordinary doctor without it.Which is why I don't think House is trying to find normality with Cuddy but more like the writers having fun and DS not really caring all that much about the progress of the show.
    sadly , I came to the exactly the same conclusion. I agree house "gavi up" will put the end of the House we knew and loved,but unfortunately doubt it'll be the end of the show - too many people seems to be content with weak writing and House being just another character in telenovella "House's Anatomy"..

    shui3 wrote:
    Not that I'm cynical or anything.
    No, you are just learning the price of everything and the value of nothing...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Prongsters

    Prongsters

    [1637]Jan 11, 2009
    • member since: 03/06/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 74
    doarpr wrote:

    I can agree or disagree with posts that are at least somewhat coherent. I'm afraid yours just isn't.

    Basic logic. p results q then non q results non p (or at least it is in my country)

    House is obsessed with meaning of life therefore he can't have/sustain a relationship.

    House considers a relationship therefore House considers "giving up".

    anmakus wrote:

    Afterlife and meaning of life are not the same thing. In fact, in Three Stories he said (Im paraphrasing) that one needs to make the best of life, if it's the only one we've got. But I suppose view on "meaning" could change - some people find it to mean realigion, some science, some family (have kids, etc).

    You're right, they're not the same thing but they are often related. And just because he wants to enjoy his life as best as he can, doesn't mean he has a meaning. If somebody is a doctor that doesn't matter that his soul is more immortal(at least House and anyone not believing in god thinks this). But up to that point House truly believed that it doesn't matter where you go as long as you make the most of your life. After "No reason" and "One day, one room" that might have changed.

    shui3 wrote:
    Religions like to claim that we live for the afterlife,they judge our lives on how it will affect us in the moment that we'll die. If science looks forward,religions look back. That said, I don't think House gave up on answers to the meaning of life,afterlife,God,many philosophic and thologist beauties. He's just cynical and became even more so because he can't just blindly trust in a diety he has no proof of existing...especially with the way religions butcher God and teachings and reconstruct them to their own liking so it's easier to manipulate people,but that's another topic... So he keeps questioning his role in the world(as in No Reason f.e.),the fairness(Wilson's Heart)of the universe,etc. but he's dismissing the answers that he can't prove. If one can't agree with blind faith,it's natural for a person to look for answers elsewhere and find meaning in things that don't have to do with any divine judgment or karma(unless they just don't care but House is far from that type).

    He didn't and I hope he will never. He just considered trying to live a "normal" life. You pretty much said what I said in "coherent" terms.

    shui3 wrote:
    In that youtube link you gave House said that what we do here matters,our actions matter. If he finds meaning in life,then his life is meaningfull to him,regardless of the afterlife. If House gave up on finding answers the show could end very quickly.No one save the shippers would want to watch House 'settling' in a relationship and become content with not knowing.This drive to find answers is what makes him a great diagnostician,he'd be very smart but ordinary doctor without it.Which is why I don't think House is trying to find normality with Cuddy but more like the writers having fun and DS not really caring all that much about the progress of the show.Not that I'm cynical or anything.

    Just because he gave his actions meaning doesn't mean he thinks his life is meaningful.If he believes there's a higher power that nobody knows about it, then there are no instructions from that power therefore whatever he does ends the same way. Same thing can be said if there isn't a god.Another point to make is that psychology practically tells us that everything we do is a result of something therefore no free will therefore no meaning to our life. House decided that if whatever happens after death is the same, then his actions are all that matter to his human life because dedicating your life to serve a higher power in hope that you won't cease to exist when you die is pointless. Yet he keeps wondering what point is there to everything.

    Maybe a more simple explanation. If whatever we do ends the same then life is meaningless. Therefore for life to have meaning, his actions have meaning. That doesn't mean that there are no other explanations for life and House searches for them.

    True the writers could be just messing with the show. Everyone wants at some point to turn back to an innocent age and House trying to be normal can also be an explanation. In both life and "House M.D." that can't happen.

    Edited on 01/11/2009 12:54pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shui3

    shui3

    [1638]Jan 11, 2009
    • member since: 05/11/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 563

    Could you define what you mean by the word meaningful? I would like to be certain I'm not misinterpreting it,since I consider a meaningful life every life where a person has something in which he or she finds meaning or that fulfills them,gives them a sense of purpose,etc...

    Perhaps purpose is a better term?

    Edited on 01/11/2009 1:37pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Prongsters

    Prongsters

    [1639]Jan 11, 2009
    • member since: 03/06/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 74
    shui3 wrote:

    Could you define what you mean by the word meaningful? I would like to be certain I'm not misinterpreting it,since I consider a meaningful life every life where a person has something in which he or she finds meaning or that fulfills them,gives them a sense of purpose,etc...

    Perhaps purpose is a better term?

    Meaningful I consider to be something that has a result, something that is involved in future actions. So if whatever we do, we end up the same way, our life is meaningless. That's at least what I understand when people talk about "the meaning of life".

    Yeah, I guess purpose is a better term.

    Edited on 01/11/2009 2:06pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of portuguesemarta

    portuguesemarta

    [1640]Jan 16, 2009
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 184
    House can ask if your sister is over 18 in chorean
    Edited on 01/16/2009 1:34pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.