House Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

How did House hurt his leg?

meqtpie

[1]Sep 15, 2007
    • level: 3

Embarrassed to say, I missed the episode that gave that information. Every time I watch it, it plagues me... please someone can someone please help me end this mystery??

Thank you,

Meqtpie.....aka Kristen

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

frenzy175

[2]Sep 16, 2007
    • level: 11
    It in fact happens before the series begins.

Head over to Wikipedia and look him up there.

doarpr

[3]Sep 16, 2007
    • level: 16

He had an infarction in his thigh muscle that wasn't diagnosed on time and they had to remove the necrotic tissue, which also caused nerve damage.

Try to get hold of "Three Stories" from season 1 or read the recaps - it explains it all.

Edited on 09/27/2007 11:18am
    Edited 2 total times.

sfaberge

[4]Sep 16, 2007
    • level: 21
    Basically a blood clot causing muscle death

OuroborosSnyder

[5]Sep 16, 2007
    • level: 25
    meqtpie wrote:

Embarrassed to say, I missed the episode that gave that information. Every time I watch it, it plagues me... please someone can someone please help me end this mystery??

Thank you,

Meqtpie.....aka Kristen

*Tosses meqrpie season 1 of House* I suggest just buying season 1 of House, if you can...

~Snyder~

anbis82

[6]Sep 16, 2007
    • level: 60
    Yeah, Three Stories was one of the best episodes of the first season. You need to watch it. Definitely!

frany66

[7]Sep 16, 2007
    • level: 11
    Its true. I really loved that episode. And they very rarely tell us that much about House in one go. Its a must.

meqtpie

[8]Sep 16, 2007
    Thank you vey much!!

holliwdstr63

[9]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 6

i know that the people who posted in this basically already told you what happened, but i thought you might want a little more information. its just about what happened in the episode. it was kind of a flashback.

Five years after he began dating Stacy, he suffered an infarction in his right leg, which went undiagnosed for three days due to doctors' concerns that he was exhibiting drug seeking behavior. An aneurysm in his thigh had clotted, leading to an infarction and causing his quadricep muscles to become nerotic.

House had the dead muscle bypassed in order to restore circulation to the remainder of his leg, accepting the possibility that the release of the chemicals that resulted from the blockage would cause organ failure and/or cardiac arrest. He waswilling to endure excruciating chronic pain as a trade-off for retaining the use of his leg.

After he was put into a chemically induced coma, Stacy decided to excercise her right as House's medical proxy and chose a safer surgical middle-ground between amputation and a bypass involving removing just the dead muscle. This resulted in a partial loss of the use of his leg, and left House with a lesser, but still serious level of pain for the rest of his life.

Hope that helps!

vampiredawn

[10]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 14
    holliwdstr63 wrote:

causing his quadricep muscles to become nerotic.

You could of course mean neurotic, but my guess is you mean necrotic as in muscle death right?

lonestarlipper

[11]Sep 17, 2007
    I thought he hurt it playing Rugby In Australia Professionally before he went to Medical school.

olgkap

[12]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 18

lonestarlipper wrote:
    I thought he hurt it playing Rugby In Australia Professionally before he went to Medical school.

Ah, Logan, if you want to be glib House gave even better explanations himself ," Pulled a hamstring playing Twister. Just gonna walk it off." in "Who's Your Daddy"

lonestarlipper

[13]Sep 17, 2007
    Darn Those Twister Accidents!

fluterITM

[14]Sep 17, 2007
    Sorry to be nitpicky, but sometimes people get these two words confused, and it bugs me. It's "inFARction," not "inFRAction."

Definitions of each word: 

infarction
    the obstruction of the blood supply to an organ or region of tissue, typically by a thrombus or embolus, causing local death of the tissue. 

infraction
    a violation or infringement of a law, agreement, or set of rules. 

That's all.

lonestarlipper

[15]Sep 18, 2007
    hehehehehehe House has had both Infarctions and infractions. But the Infarction hurt his leg.

OmegaDark

[16]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 5
    Yeah, what they said! Infarction in the thigh muscle causing severe Necrosis of the leg muscle. Necrosis is tissue death at a cellular level.
    Cells have a chemical stored inside that is used for digestion of food, old dying cells, bacteria, and viruses. When the cell dies unexpectedly by necrosis, this chemical is released into the surrounding cells causing their death. That in turn releases more of that chemical and leads to even more necrosis. Since the cells aren't dying in an orderly manner, dead cell parts are scattered all over the place, and the body has a hard time tracking them down and cleaning them up. This allows the debree to spread posibly causing other system complications. Imaging the pain of having your muscle rot away from the inside. This pain caused House to be extra irritable, and demand drugs for the pain. Which in turn led the doctors to believe he was a drug seeker, which delayed the diagnosis.

House refused an amputation, and believed the leg muscle would heal in time on its own once the blood supply was returned to it. (aka after removing the clot)

Even after blood supply returned, he was in extreme pain. The doctors and the hospital's dean of medicine Dr. Cuddy kept pushing for an amputation. Instead, he chose to be put into a coma so as not to expierence the pain.
    Once in the coma his girlfriend Stacy at the time was given legal authority as the medical proxy for House. Although in a coma, his brain was still experiencing extreme pain. Stacy made the call to remove the dying & dead muscle tissue of the leg. It wasn't better than amputating, but at least he would retain partial function of the leg.

House awoke from his coma only to realize what had been done. Since then, he's never forgiven his ex for doing what she did. So not only is the leg a physical scar, but an emotional scar as well.

doarpr

[17]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 16

OmegaDark that's a great explanation!

I just want to add that before he asked for the induced coma, he suffered from a cardiac arrest and was technically dead for a minute. This doesn't justify Stacy's decision, but it can explain why she has decided to do the procedure despite his wishes.

Also, apart from the mobility problems caused by the removal of the muscle, there's also nerve damage, which only adds to the unbearable pain he is facing daily.

katykeil94

[19]Apr 10, 2014
    • level: 1

He had an aneurism leading to an infarction leading to muscle cell death so they had to take out the dead muscle because he wouldn't let them cut off his leg.