House Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

How many Jews are there?

Percentage of Jewish ppl on House

  • Avatar of beowulf579

    beowulf579

    [21]Apr 10, 2009
    • member since: 06/07/05
    • level: 59
    • rank: E-Company
    • posts: 1,241
    Hoeech wrote:
    anmakus wrote:

    beowulf579 wrote:
    "If someone out there feels that the show is "too Jew" s/he should stop watching said show. No great loss IMO." Yep..no great loss at all. Or those trying to make an issue where none was ever mentioned. And Kat..I agree, I thought Wilson was Jewish as well. Might just be because he has worn a Kippah on special occasions; funeral, naming ceremony..etc. Hmmm, but did the rest of the male cast where the Kippahs to Kutner's funeral? I can't recall. Though of course it wasn't a Jewish funeral so that might make it all moot.

    They all wore Kippahs on the baby naming ceremony, but Wilson is in fact Jewish. Mentioned for the first time in Damned If You Do, I think.



    Any man walking into a synagogue must wear a kippah, whether they are Jewish or not. It's both a requirement for entering the temple and a sign of respect.


    Very true....I had to wear one at the Kotel and the Shoah Memorial Museum in Jerusalem and I'm not Jewish. The one at museum was made of cardboardish material oddly enough.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hoeech

    Hoeech

    [22]Apr 10, 2009
    • member since: 03/27/04
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 928
    beowulf579 wrote:
    Hoeech wrote:
    anmakus wrote:

    beowulf579 wrote:
    "If someone out there feels that the show is "too Jew" s/he should stop watching said show. No great loss IMO." Yep..no great loss at all. Or those trying to make an issue where none was ever mentioned. And Kat..I agree, I thought Wilson was Jewish as well. Might just be because he has worn a Kippah on special occasions; funeral, naming ceremony..etc. Hmmm, but did the rest of the male cast where the Kippahs to Kutner's funeral? I can't recall. Though of course it wasn't a Jewish funeral so that might make it all moot.

    They all wore Kippahs on the baby naming ceremony, but Wilson is in fact Jewish. Mentioned for the first time in Damned If You Do, I think.



    Any man walking into a synagogue must wear a kippah, whether they are Jewish or not. It's both a requirement for entering the temple and a sign of respect.


    Very true....I had to wear one at the Kotel and the Shoah Memorial Museum in Jerusalem and I'm not Jewish. The one at museum was made of cardboardish material oddly enough.


    I'm not Jewish either, but my sister is after marrying into a Jewish family. Since my nieces and my nephew are being raised in the Jewish faith, I've become somewhat familiar with the customs, traditions and holidays.

    To all those who are celebrating this week: Chag kasher ve'same`ach!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tuckgraph

    tuckgraph

    [23]Apr 10, 2009
    • member since: 09/13/06
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 916
    I'm sticking with my mid 20's estimation. If we factor in the POTW's, the clinic patients, and the new team competition, I think it might be about right. I'm not about to do the research to back it up! But over five seasons, around 125 espisodes, that's around 20 percent. I wonder about how many left handed characters have been in major or minor roles. EDIT! I first said around 150 episodes, so it changed my percentages a bit.
    Edited on 04/10/2009 9:59pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Geniyuss13me

    Geniyuss13me

    [24]Apr 11, 2009
    • member since: 05/12/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 106
    olgkap wrote:

    beowulf579 wrote:
    I for one like that the show has a few jewish characters. Now I haven't gotten to see all of House like I wish I could have....but could any of the jewish characters be defined as active in Judaism? From what I have seen I would think no, and if they were House probably would try to rip them apart. Above Vapiredawn mentions the old adage about being jewish in hollywood. That of course has to do with actors more than characters. Sad to say but sometimes I think Disney has had more Jewish characters in their programming than any other show or network could claim. I would say that out of the top 50 US tv shows currently in production, House probably has the highest number of Jewish characters on it's roster. And how does the other "hospital" oriented shows measure up? Did ER have many Jewish characters?

    This questionable to begin with topic is really getting just weirder and weirder.You haven't even watched much of the show ,but got to discuss it (which is OK) somehow and the thing you find THE MOST interesting(so much you created the thread ) to discuss is how many Jews are there . Now we suppose to "count Jews" for some wierd reason in ER and other shows? I really see no reason for all this wierd curiosity which has very little to do with "House" ,but carefully masked by oh-always-so-useful PC bigotry.At least how it feels for non-Jewish (in case you are also counting Jews among "Hose" audience) me.

    Thank you. I am glad someone cares. I wish these points had been made by other fans too, but that's how it goes.

    Edited on 04/11/2009 5:11am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [25]Apr 11, 2009
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152
    Geniyuss13me wrote:
    olgkap wrote:

    beowulf579 wrote:
    I for one like that the show has a few jewish characters. Now I haven't gotten to see all of House like I wish I could have....but could any of the jewish characters be defined as active in Judaism? From what I have seen I would think no, and if they were House probably would try to rip them apart. Above Vapiredawn mentions the old adage about being jewish in hollywood. That of course has to do with actors more than characters. Sad to say but sometimes I think Disney has had more Jewish characters in their programming than any other show or network could claim. I would say that out of the top 50 US tv shows currently in production, House probably has the highest number of Jewish characters on it's roster. And how does the other "hospital" oriented shows measure up? Did ER have many Jewish characters?

    This questionable to begin with topic is really getting just weirder and weirder.You haven't even watched much of the show ,but got to discuss it (which is OK) somehow and the thing you find THE MOST interesting(so much you created the thread ) to discuss is how many Jews are there . Now we suppose to "count Jews" for some wierd reason in ER and other shows? I really see no reason for all this wierd curiosity which has very little to do with "House" ,but carefully masked by oh-always-so-useful PC bigotry.At least how it feels for non-Jewish (in case you are also counting Jews among "Hose" audience) me.

    Thank you. I am glad someone cares. I wish these points had been made by other fans too, but that's how it goes.

    Not only that that's how it goes, the post I posted earlier to support this was deleted - while all this offensive thread and original posts are still here... Quite pathetic.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shui3

    shui3

    [26]Apr 11, 2009
    • member since: 05/11/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 563
    ok,seriously,why is it offensive? Because the person is curious about the number of Jews?So what? It's statistically interesting question for someone, like it would be if the question was about the number of gays on the show or blacks or even Columbians.
    Besides,if someone can start a thread asking if we've met any House-like people in real life than I don't see why such a topic shouldn't exist. I haven't seen any bigotry remarks from the person asking nor was there anything insulting against Jews...
    If you find that the wording of the question offends you,say what should be changed,I'm sure the original poster wouldn't mind adjusting it so it doesn't hurt your sensibilities but really now...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of EO_Forever

    EO_Forever

    [27]Apr 11, 2009
    • member since: 02/21/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 1,582
    While I myself am not Jewish, the majority of my family is and I can see how this thread could be interpreted as offensive. I don't think this thread was intended to be offensive and I'm certainly not offended, I would just urge caution when discussing such a topic on an online forum. It's not that I'm opposed to talking about religion, it's just that online it's difficult to understand what sort of context your saying things in. I know plenty of Jewish people who joke about the stereotypical "jewish doctor," but I wouldn't recommend doing so online because you can't tell the tone someone is saying something in just by reading it.

    But to answer your question, I'm currently in a statistics course and might be able to shed some light on the situation. If you've seen the episode Airborne House tells the passengers on the plane, " I believe in statistics. Two hundred passengers on the plane. Ten should be gay two should be with child, and one should be incredibly annoying with an extra ass chromosome." And this is true, but it only works with a large enough sample size. Since there are only a handful of main characters on the show, we can't expect them to follow a normal distribution. If we were looking at the entire hospital though, we could expect it to be closer to the national average.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of olgkap

    olgkap

    [28]Apr 11, 2009
    • member since: 01/31/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,499

    shui3 wrote:
    ok,seriously,why is it offensive? Because the person is curious about the number of Jews?So what? It's statistically interesting question for someone, like it would be if the question was about the number of gays on the show or blacks or even Columbians.

    Charge Colombians to Gypsies and that will be exactly the statistics Adolf Hitler was "just curious " about in the early 30s of the last century...We all (I hope,because obviously for many 14 yo it's an ancient history )remember how those "minority studies" ended up - all the numbers were tried to be brought to zero...I wasn't offended - I was pissed and expressed exactly how it felt to me, but of coarse, for anyone who considers Hitler's popularity can be compared to ones of modern rock stars it's sure just a matter of statistics and curiosity.Nothing to do about it ,but those who thinks differently must be able to be heard to -as long as such thread exists.

    Edited on 04/11/2009 12:01pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shui3

    shui3

    [29]Apr 11, 2009
    • member since: 05/11/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 563
    hm,I confess,I didn't think of Hitler when reading this question,I thought about social statistics which,while Hitler used as well,is pretty useful for sociologists,historians,anthropologists,etc. While Nazi Germany had the power to deal with minorities(or attempted to,not always succesfully,thank God) I don't think beowulf579 has any similar intentions or even powers to do so. I suppose it comes down to what you read in this. While I was reluctant when I first read the title since we know internet is full of racist/neo nazis/bigots/small-minded people,after reading beowulf's explanation I didn't see the question as anything but curiosity(which can be dangerous in the wrong hands,agreed,but sometimes curiosity is just that). But I get why you(and others)would be annoyed if you read it with the thoughts of WW2 and Hitler's plans in mind.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [30]Apr 11, 2009
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152

    While "counting the Jews" may not seem offensive to many - I still don't see the relevance of the number of Jews on the show to the discussion of House the show or the character, and I fail to see how such a subject was not deleted by the mod for lack of such relevance.

    The excuse of "minority studies" is imo just ridiculous, as the thread is not about "minorities" but about a specific one and it doesn't contribute to our understanding of that minority or it's relevance to the show on any level.

    I don't see how this thread can be compared to threads like "do you know of anyone like House" or similar threads - after all, they do discuss the characters on the show. We have mentioned the fact that Wilson's and Cuddy are Jewish on the threads that dealt with them when it was relevant, and of course there was no problem at all with that.

    This thread is different. Imo it was posted by someone who has nothing interesting to say about the show, but just wanted to provoke and get attention, and in this sense, it seems that it's "mission accomplished".

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of silverlukas

    silverlukas

    [31]Apr 11, 2009
    • member since: 02/08/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 328

    shui3 wrote:
    ok,seriously,why is it offensive? Because the person is curious about the number of Jews?So what? It's statistically interesting question for someone, like it would be if the question was about the number of gays on the show or blacks or even Columbians. Besides,if someone can start a thread asking if we've met any House-like people in real life than I don't see why such a topic shouldn't exist. I haven't seen any bigotry remarks from the person asking nor was there anything insulting against Jews...

    I'm with Shui. I don't see how the thread is offenisive having in mind the way the thread and the poll are formulated. As I said I was curious myself about the same question too. I can't prove to you of course that I'm not anti-semitic, but I don't see how being curious make me inevitably such. If you decide to trust me, I can say that no, I'm notand that learning that DS is most probably a Jew and reading articles like that made me even more interested in a positive way in Judaism than before.

    As for whether the thread is meaningless or not - of course everyone have a right to say that it's not but as Shui said, there are a lot of threads on crazier topics. I think there's a potential use in considering that DS is probably influenced by Judaism, or having im mind which characters are such because that may lead to a better understandings of them or the show. For example DS says about House "I think his search for truth and that constant questioning is a Jewish trait. It's all about the puzzle, the intellectual pursuit". Of course, suchdiscussions are not exactly on the topic of this thread but they are connected with the possible curiosity behing it, at least in my case.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vampiredawn

    vampiredawn

    [32]Apr 12, 2009
    • member since: 06/20/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 3,558
    I'm with shui and silverlukas too. There is nothing racist or offensive about having an interest in the presentation of minorities. There are tons of university studies on the topic and none of those professors are mini Hitlers. Comparing it to Hitler's interest is extremely offensive to the OP, and I'd like to see the one line, or any proof, where this thread comes off as racist or even anywhere near the vicinity of having anything to do with killing Jews. If you can't do that, then please stop being negative (again) and posting disruptive posts in the middle of a normal conversation (again).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FurryA

    FurryA

    [33]Apr 12, 2009
    • member since: 04/12/09
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 4
    This is such a stupid, offensive thread. The fact you have to think about counting "minorities" suggest that you are not in that group. Why don't you say I'm not anti-semitic some of my best friends are jews. If you replace the word Jews in the question with blacks, asians, etc you would be offended. Having faced racism all my life I know a racist when I heard the words. Get yourself a life, and look at your views deeply.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doarpr

    doarpr

    [34]Apr 12, 2009
    • member since: 07/30/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,152

    FurryA wrote:
    This is such a stupid, offensive thread. The fact you have to think about counting "minorities" suggest that you are not in that group. Why don't you say I'm not anti-semitic some of my best friends are jews. If you replace the word Jews in the question with blacks, asians, etc you would be offended. Having faced racism all my life I know a racist when I heard the words. Get yourself a life, and look at your views deeply.

    I totally agree. I can't understand people who think "counting the Jews" in not about racism. Oh well.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of anmakus

    anmakus

    [35]Apr 12, 2009
    • member since: 03/12/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 498

    FurryA wrote:
    This is such a stupid, offensive thread. The fact you have to think about counting "minorities" suggest that you are not in that group. Why don't you say I'm not anti-semitic some of my best friends are jews. If you replace the word Jews in the question with blacks, asians, etc you would be offended. Having faced racism all my life I know a racist when I heard the words. Get yourself a life, and look at your views deeply.

    Relax. Just because someone is interested in statistics doesn't mean he's planning to kill all the Jewish people in an imaginary hospital. Like vamiredawn said, stuff like this is often used for studies. Besides, how can we know about minorities if we don't study them. The gay population isn't very lazy about pointing out that 10% of people are homosexual. Is that homophobic now? If the question here asked was "Why are there so many Jews?", that would have been different. But as shui3 pointed out, there is nothing offensive in the post.

    Minorities have been discussed here before - Kutner being Indian, Thirteen bisexual, etc... I don't see how this is any different.

    Edited on 04/12/2009 5:17am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FurryA

    FurryA

    [36]Apr 12, 2009
    • member since: 04/12/09
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 4
    This poll has no scientific basis so how can it be accurate or considered relevant. I'm a lab rat now to be studied, count my children their mixed race what category do they come under. No one is suggesting that this is about killing anyone it's still racist, if not, try going to your local school ask how many of your teachers are jews? I really should relax when people make comments about my race it's just a joke isn't it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shui3

    shui3

    [37]Apr 12, 2009
    • member since: 05/11/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 563
    It's a question posted on House forum, not in social science paper,it's not a study,it's a question. It's racist in the terms that a race of people is mentioned and no one is harmed by this except some people's feelings...
    If you feel personally attacked,report the topic to mods and it'll be deleted. The author got their answers in the first page already I think.

    *goes off this topic*
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of anmakus

    anmakus

    [38]Apr 12, 2009
    • member since: 03/12/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 498

    FurryA wrote:
    I'm a lab rat now to be studied, count my children their mixed race what category do they come under.

    Gee, sorry - I had no idea you worked on House. No one is even asking about the general population - just on the show. Being a part of a minority myself, I never had a problem as being separated from the majority. Again, name one thing here that was said to humiliate the Jewish population, other than someone asking about the numbers.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FurryA

    FurryA

    [39]Apr 12, 2009
    • member since: 04/12/09
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 4
    There are lies, damn lies - and statistics. You can't have a question that asks if this is a fair representation of the population without knowing that percentage in the first place. This has no relevance to House at all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vampiredawn

    vampiredawn

    [40]Apr 12, 2009
    • member since: 06/20/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 3,558

    FurryA wrote:
    This is such a stupid, offensive thread. The fact you have to think about counting "minorities" suggest that you are not in that group. Why don't you say I'm not anti-semitic some of my best friends are jews. If you replace the word Jews in the question with blacks, asians, etc you would be offended. Having faced racism all my life I know a racist when I heard the words. Get yourself a life, and look at your views deeply.

    Are you serious? So because you're allergic to the word minority people are not allowed to ask a simple question regarding it? Do you also pretend you can't see people's skin color? I know tons of black people who would take offence of that, since many are proud of their color and heritage, and don't try to victimize themselves in every normal conversation. Get over it.

    anmakus wrote:
    Relax. Just because someone is interested in statistics doesn't mean he's planning to kill all the Jewish people in an imaginary hospital. Like vamiredawn said, stuff like this is often used for studies. Besides, how can we know about minorities if we don't study them. The gay population isn't very lazy about pointing out that 10% of people are homosexual. Is that homophobic now? If the question here asked was "Why are there so many Jews?", that would have been different. But as shui3 pointed out, there is nothing offensive in the post.

    Minorities have been discussed here before - Kutner being Indian, Thirteen bisexual, etc... I don't see how this is any different.

    Thank you, anmaku. I don't recall any gay people being offended when it's been asked here or discussed elsewhere how many gay or queer characters has been represented on House. I don't see any bisexual people being offended when 13's sexuality has been discussed thrown accusations around about everyone being a homophobe for not enjoying the girl on girl action we got to see in one episode, which a lot of people objected to.

    It's really no ones business, but I'm a member of several other minorities than the question of being Jewish, and it's perfectly legit to discuss or have an interest in all aspects of life, including so called minorities.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.