House Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

Interview with Robert Sean Leonard in Entertainment Weekly

vampiredawn

[1]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 14

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20044586,00.html

Haha, he thinks House and Wilson have a very weird relationship. Well duh!

Edited on 07/04/2007 12:45pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

doarpr

[2]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 16

vampiredawn wrote:
    Haha, he thinks House and Wilson have a very weird relationship. Well duh!

Awww someone's REALLY happy now!

Thanks for the link, it was quite interesting on the whole, though someone should tell RSL to just stop it with going on and on about how he's in House only for the money! Honesty is not always the best policy...would be nice if just kept it to himself by now...I for one find it quite annoying!

And doesn't he sound a lot like Wilson??? I think Bryan Singer didn't just do him a favor for old time's sake - he just saw right through him and knew he'd be the perfect Wilson...

Edited on 07/04/2007 2:20pm

Emma718

[3]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 5

he is a nice guy and all, but he likes to talk money alot

olgkap

[4]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 18

Thanks for posting the link Vampiredawn. I love his attitude... and I do know that movie he mentioned,"The Last American Virgin", it was one of my favorite back when too, because (he is so right about that!) as much as it has all those horrible teen-movie cliches,it was very different - sweet,hopelessly romantic and it has that so realistic non-happy end...The actor who played the main charactrer,Gary, was very talanted and the girl...RSL is right on that too - angelical beauty...

As for him going on and on about money...I can understand that.I think it's the mix of happy feeling finally-I-can-feel-financially-secure (because, let's face it ,it's not that much fun being money-free theatre actor in New York in your 40-tis as it was in your 20-tis ) , guilt for being paid so much more that the policemen or a teacher and would say fear of getting used to the idea "I'm reach and famous"...Besides,he could have feeling that doing TV is a "betrayal" to theater,it would also explain it...as House would say "I'm selling my soul"...

Anyway, I'm glad he's planing to be back on Broadway, means I have a chance to see him on stage...I have a feeling I'm going to love it, seriously,"You're looking at theater's tombstone on stage." is the best "Mamma Mia" revue I've ever read!

Dakotagirl823

[5]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 23

I think Robert is being totally honest when he said that he's doing TV for the money.

The great actor Peter O'Toole has often said that he works in film to support his theater habit. Peter, like Robert, loves working in the theater but the money is crap. If the end justifies the means, I don't see what Robert is doing can be called selling ones soul. If he has the financial security to do theater, all the more power to him. Oh, and let's not forget, New York is one the most expensive cities to live in. Robert is at the age where he probably wants marriage and children and wants to make sure he can provide for his family.

Let's face it, actors make movies strictly for the money everyday but very few will admit it. I remember seeing the Last American Virgin and I clearly remember Diane Franklin. After the film, her biggest role was playing Megan Hathaway for two years on the soap, Days of Our Lives. She was talented but her career just hit a dead end.

Edited on 07/04/2007 4:24pm
    Edited 4 total times.

doarpr

[6]Jul 4, 2007

I don't mind him talking about his financial situation - that's fine. What I do mind is that he keeps saying he only does House for money and that's annoying (at least for me).

I think it shows some disrespect for us loyal fans who really care about the show, a tad more then him apparently. It's fine if this works for him but it would be nice if he didn't shove it in our face on EVERY single interview!

A nice white lie (is "I love the show and my character" too much to ask for?) or nothing at all - would be greatly appreciated...

Edited on 07/04/2007 4:24pm

olgkap

[7]Jul 4, 2007

doarpr wrote:

A nice white lie (is "I love the show and my character" too much to ask for?) or nothing at all - would be greatly appreciated...

"White lie" ,sure would be nice and...hypocritical.Which, I guess, is a bigger "sin" for House fans than "tell the blunt,honest truth in it's starkest,darkest way"...House would appreciate the truth for sure.

P .S.Doarpr! Congratulations on your 1000th post.I have no idea why is that important ,but people think it's kind of an achievement ...or an anniversary.So I wish you (and even more us ) at least a 5000 more before House ends and we'll be ,officially, out of topics to discuss...(Ugh,it sounded like a toast,sorry...)

Dakotagirl823

[8]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 23

RSL auditioned for the part of Charlie Epps on Numbers? That's news to me.

I just can't see Robert putting as much enthusiasm into the character of Charlie as David Krumholz does. Everytime I hear David use a long mathmatical term I have to laugh. David flunked high school algebra for four years and yet he says the math terms like he understands them. David has said in a few interviews that he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

Edited on 07/04/2007 5:16pm
    Edited 2 total times.

doarpr

[9]Jul 4, 2007

olgkap wrote:
    "White lie" ,sure would be nice and...hypocritical.Which, I guess, is a bigger "sin" for House fans than "tell the blunt,honest truth in it's starkest,darkest way"...House would appreciate the truth for sure.

I'll tell you a sceret: RSL is NOTHouse. Don't tell anbody!

olgkap wrote:
    P .S.Doarpr! Congratulations on your 1000th post.I have no idea why is that important ,but people think it's kind of an achievement ...or an anniversary.So I wish you (and even more us ) at least a 5000 more before House ends and we'll be ,officially, out of topics to discuss...(Ugh,it sounded like a toast,sorry...)

Oh yes, this is one of the greatest achievements of my life so far.... I'm expecting the Nobel prize any day now...

And speaking of the Nobel prize and money:

House: Every minute that we refuse to love one another, another puppy cries another tear.

Wilson: You're just mad that he's closer to a Nobel Prize than you are.

House: And yet I've nailed more Swedish babes. Crazy, crazy world.

Wilson: It's not just a trip to Stockholm, you know. It comes with a cash prize.

House: Seriously? No wonder everyone's going after that peace thing.

Wilson: He cures thousands of people every year, you cure, what? 30?

House: McDonald's makes a better hamburger than your mother because they make more?

Wilson: Oh, I see! So you hate him because the lives he saves aren't as good as the lives you save.

House: Yup, that's the reason. Nobel invented dynamite. I won't accept his blood money.

olgkap

[10]Jul 4, 2007
    doarpr wrote:

olgkap wrote:

I'll tell you a sceret: RSL is NOTHouse. Don't tell anbody!

Ah,you can only "allow" House to be "blunt and honest"...that I understand completely - I ''forgive " him much, much more than any other fictional or un-fictional (??) character...because he's THE ONE AND ONLY...(Can't justify many things in season 3,though,but I blame the writers for it,bad writers,bad! )

Edited on 07/04/2007 6:50pm
    Edited 3 total times.

doarpr

[11]Jul 4, 2007
    olgkap wrote:
    doarpr wrote:
    olgkap wrote:
    I'll tell you a sceret: RSL is NOT House. Don't tell anbody!

Ah,you can only "allow" House be "blunt and honest"...that I understand completely - I ''forgive " him much, much more than any other fictional or un-fictional (??) character...because he's THE ONE AND ONLY...

Yup, he's Da Man!

olgkap wrote:
    Can't justify many things in season 3,though,but I blame writers for it,bad writers,bad!:evil

Well not ALL of it - but a good half of it I'd say...

mp34mp

[12]Jul 4, 2007
    Yeah, money is great. It buys me stuff.

vampiredawn

[13]Jul 5, 2007

I can definitely understand why RSL's attitude annoys people. He does seem to whine a lot, and express this nonchallance in every interview, except those where he's not asked about it. But if that's his approach to his work, well more power to him. I've also heard him say how much he loves the characters he and HL plays. It seems that it's recently that he's talking a lot about cutting down hours and working just to earn money. Maybe it has something to do with him wanting to start a family now? I'll cry myself to sleep if he leaves the show, or the business, but that's up to him and him alone...

The interview was posted on capslock_house with some extremely amusing comments as a result. One said, "I STOPPED READING AFTER BED BATH & BEYOND BECAUSE I REALIZED THAT RSL IS A WOMAN. TRUFAKT." And another said, "OH. MY. GOD. HE IS EXCITED ABOUT GOING TO A SHOP. LOVE RSL BUT HE REALLY IS VERY ODD INDEED."

Edited on 07/05/2007 12:44am

sgtpromiscuous

[14]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 10
    Ah, when will I stop falling more and more in love with Robert Sean Leonard? I shouldn't have read this interview!

vampiredawn

[15]Jul 5, 2007

sgtpromiscuous wrote:
    Ah, when will I stop falling more and more in love with Robert Sean Leonard? I shouldn't have read this interview!

He is so much his own person it's scary

I still want to hug him nomatter what he says

balanced936

[16]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 4

I love Bed Bath and Beyond, too!!

Okay, seriously? I love this guy. And I"m not really insulted to learn that he works for money. I'm like that too.

vampiredawn

[17]Jul 5, 2007
    So do I I just assumed people acted because they liked to act. But I guess a movie like Eragon pays the bills too. I can't think of any other reason why Jeremy Irons and John Malkovic would say yes to be in it
    Edited on 07/05/2007 9:01am

olgkap

[18]Jul 5, 2007

vampiredawn wrote:
    So do I I just assumed people acted because they liked to act. But I guess a movie like Eragon pays the bills too. I can't think of any other reason why Jeremy Irons and John Malkovic would say yes to be in it

Well, actually, the RESULT in a movies is often (if not always) depends on so many things other than the script and the actors.Even a good,well known director can't be a "warranty".Box office ,sure ,depends mostly on names and promotion,but not the quality of the "product"...Acting is very dependable profession, but in theatre great actor could overcome the cr**py director (sometimes even mediocre play) ,in movies it's so often the opposite.I think, it's the reason why many theatre actors do movies "for money" and theatre for the "soul"...well ,and the others try writhe scripts ,directing and/or producing themselves(and than,again,it's more money,money,money)....

cristinab16

[19]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 3
    [QUOTE="vampiredawn"]

sgtpromiscuous wrote:

I still want to hug him nomatter what he says

Im with u on that 1!!!

I like his blunt honesty actually about certain things, and I love the fact that he has a cruch on manhattan!

vampiredawn

[20]Jul 5, 2007
    olgkap wrote:

Well, actually, the RESULT in a movies is often (if not always) depends on so many things other than the script and the actors.Even a good,well known director can't be a "warranty".Box office ,sure ,depends mostly on names and promotion,but not the quality of the "product"...Acting is very dependable profession, but in theatre great actor could overcome the cr**py director (sometimes even mediocre play) ,in movies it's so often the opposite.I think, it's the reason why many theatre actors do movies "for money" and theatre for the "soul"...well ,and the others try writhe scripts ,directing and/or producing themselves(and than,again,it's more money,money,money)....

Good point. That's probably true. No one would know that Irons and Malkovic were such mastodonts within the acting business, if they had only seen them in Eragon. There's just no room to be a good actor in that kind of movie It also kind of excuses them. If you're bad in a play, you're truly just bad But, I do recall having seen amazing acting in an otherwise crappy movie, so the opposite happens. Only no one seems to notice the actor, then.