House Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

Official Discussion Thread: 5 to 9 (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Feb 6, 2010
    • level: 102
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 2/8/10 episode "5 to 9" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

doggiebag123

[2]Feb 7, 2010
    • level: 12
    how does this episode already have a rating of 8.1 when it hasn't even aired yet. Who judges an episode before they've even seen it? Based on reviews of people who have already seen it (critics, etc.) this episode is one of the best of the season and even more special than the "Wilson" episode. BTW for those who haven't watched the three minute clip yet, don't worry about the "Luddy" sex moment. Not only is it nothing, it's actually funny.

dm_esuoh

[3]Feb 7, 2010
    • level: 10
    doggiebag123 wrote:
    how does this episode already have a rating of 8.1 when it hasn't even aired yet. Who judges an episode before they've even seen it? Based on reviews of people who have already seen it (critics, etc.) this episode is one of the best of the season and even more special than the "Wilson" episode. BTW for those who haven't watched the three minute clip yet, don't worry about the "Luddy" sex moment. Not only is it nothing, it's actually funny.

Episodes are always rated ahead of time, although whenever I notice it, they seem to have ratings around 10.

doggiebag123

[4]Feb 8, 2010
    according to this site, this episode was directed by michael weston (Lucas) but i haven;t seen that confirmed anywhere else. anybody know if it is really true? if it is, its interesting that they let him direct before HL

doggiewolfclaw

[5]Feb 8, 2010
    • level: 3
    Wow! Just wow! Now, it really begs the question if that's a usual day for Cuddy or if that...chaotic mess was out of the norm. I suppose I've never thought about all of the stupidity and problems Cuddy has to deal with on a daily basis cleaning up others' messes, breaking up the occasional surgeon fight, and resolving potential lawsuits. It fleshed out the character even more putting us in her shoes and increased my respect for her significantly. Kudos to the entire cast, Lisa Edelstein and Hugh Laurie in particular for excellent performances, very engaging. It's a fresh of breath air when House M.D. goes off the beaten path once in awhile with a sterling episode like this.

firefairyangel

[6]Feb 8, 2010
    I didn't really like this episode, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of Cuddy as a character either. I felt like the episode was leading up to something, but then just didn't go anywhere. I didn't like the fact that Lucas made a bet with House about whether Cuddy would stop having sex with him to answer a page. I liked that we got to explore her character a little, but nothing else really happened either. This doesn't seem like the kind of episode I'm really going to be drawn to seeing again.

doggiebag123

[7]Feb 8, 2010

few questions:

1. what was the problem with house/chase and the surgeon (what foreman was talking about in cuddy's office) that confused me

2. did House know about gale stealing pills (he said it might come in handy, was he kidding)

3. isn;t rachel only supposed to be like 13 months old? she looks really big and she can walk.

not my fave epi, but liked the insight we got into cuddy. fav part were the scenes with her and house and when she asked if the pills were vicoden, she was genuinely concerned. like house saying "i told them to use their words!" that was the best line of the episode.

also feel old that irecognized the rep as the teacher from boy meets world (mr. turner)

Edited on 02/08/2010 6:51pm

kraylith

[8]Feb 9, 2010
    The episode was ok, not great though imo. But... Cuddy's scream... seriously? -.-

MeaghanRennick

[9]Feb 9, 2010
    • level: 3
    My favorite parts overall were when Cuddy was going into the elevator and the team was there, and House did that thing where he figures out what the patient has, only he gets cut off and we see it from Cuddy's point of view. Seeing how busy she was and what she had to go through makes me really wish House would stop messing around with her all the time. As an episode, it was decent. Would I ever watch it again? No.

Chaos_Zombie

[10]Feb 9, 2010

MeaghanRennick wrote:
    My favorite parts overall were when Cuddy was going into the elevator and the team was there, and House did that thing where he figures out what the patient has, only he gets cut off and we see it from Cuddy's point of view. Seeing how busy she was and what she had to go through makes me really wish House would stop messing around with her all the time. As an episode, it was decent. Would I ever watch it again? No.

Hah, yeah I hated that moment. I wanted to know what his epiphany was! All in all, this was my least favorite episode of the season (though not as bad as some of the episodes in Season 5). I wanted way more House and less drama with Cuddy. At least with the Wilson episode House was more involved and it was cool to see how things are with his team from Wilson's perspective. This one didn't have as many of those moments.

Does anyone know what House says when Cuddy asks why they are fighting in the hallway? I rewinded it a few times and still couldn't make out what he said.

And yeah, the Cuddy scream was super lame. So cheesy and out of character for her. Even if she had the roughest day in the world, she is just way more reserved than to scream out in the lobby with the guy walking away. If she were to do that I think she'd do it in her office.

KurtPikachu2001

[11]Feb 9, 2010
    • level: 11
    I was kind of iffy when I saw the previews to this episode. Then when I watched it, actually liked it. It was interesting to see what Cuddy goes through during the day. Thank heavens Princeton Plansboro didn't go into bankruptcy, and who knew Cuddy could get easily tricked by a woman who she thought was her friend and was really a sociopath?

Even the Cuddy and Lucas storyline was good. I don't believe Cuddy and Lucas will last. I think they'll break up and Cuddy and House will get together for real. 4/5.

pgsuperfan

[12]Feb 9, 2010
    • level: 25
    It was ok but I like Cuddy less since she hooked up with Lucas

TigerLord

[13]Feb 9, 2010
    • level: 6
    Awesome episode... now we know for sure, Cuddy REALLY kicks ass... I was hot for her during the entire episode.
    Edited on 02/09/2010 10:59am

welnoc

[14]Feb 9, 2010
    • level: 9

I find that watching a medical drama from an administrator's point of view less than interesting. I generally like Cuddy but didn't think much of this episode. I like Lucas less and less and my respect for Cuddy has gone downhill after watching her allow Lucas to blatantly manipulate her. He showed no respect for her in trying to win that bet, never mind talking to House about their sexlife.

I agree with the comments that the scream was jarring and out of character.

Chaos_Zombie

[15]Feb 9, 2010

I've always liked Lucas and loved his parts with House at the beginning of Season 5, some of the best moments in that season. I also don't mind him with Cuddy at all and hope we see more of him going up against House or even befriending him again at some point.

Typically I'm all for episodes like this that deviate from their normal format but I just felt this one could've been executed a whole lot better. The biggest draw of this show is House and him being sarcastic and funny. There wasn't much of that here and that's where it suffered and the episode 'Wilson' succeeded.

Edit: Also, I don't know if I missed it or not but how long is House going on hiatus now? I hope it's only a week or two (for Olympics maybe?).

Edited on 02/09/2010 12:20pm

mermayd

[16]Feb 9, 2010
    • level: 19
    KurtPikachu2001 wrote:
    I was kind of iffy when I saw the previews to this episode. Then when I watched it, actually liked it. It was interesting to see what Cuddy goes through during the day. Even the Cuddy and Lucas storyline was good. I don't believe Cuddy and Lucas will last. I think they'll break up and Cuddy and House will get together for real. 4/5.

I agree about being sceptical about the episode. I wasn't sure I'd een watch it but ended up really enjoying it.

I have changed my mind about Cuddy and House. I think he's not good enough for her anymore. He acts like a spoilt teenager. She's better off with Lucas.

Is it possible for House to be anymore self centred and selfish? I'm getting to the point where I really don't like him.

haldrey

[17]Feb 9, 2010
    • level: 22
    I loved this episode, it was a totally new House show. The case was barely mentioned, it was just incidental to all that was happening. I really liked Cuddy in this one. After following her for 10 minutes I was plain tired.

Pleasegod

[18]Feb 9, 2010
    • level: 2
    kraylith wrote:
    The episode was ok, not great though imo. But... Cuddy's scream... seriously? -.-

Agreed, ruined it a bit for me.

SesseKitty

[19]Feb 9, 2010
    • level: 6
    doggiebag123 wrote:

few questions:

1. what was the problem with house/chase and the surgeon (what foreman was talking about in cuddy's office) that confused me

2. did House know about gale stealing pills (he said it might come in handy, was he kidding)

3. isn;t rachel only supposed to be like 13 months old? she looks really big and she can walk.

not my fave epi, but liked the insight we got into cuddy. fav part were the scenes with her and house and when she asked if the pills were vicoden, she was genuinely concerned. like house saying "i told them to use their words!" that was the best line of the episode.

also feel old that irecognized the rep as the teacher from boy meets world (mr. turner)

1. The first one escaped me too, I understood there was some issues with Chase and the surgeon and obviously House was playing them around just to be a jerk like usual, but didn't catch the details really.

2. House knew she was a sociopath, not that she was stealing pills.

3. Most 1yo babies can already walk. I have a 2yo daughter and when looking at Rachel I was guessing that she was 1-1½ so I don't think she's that big either.

Was a nice episode, though I hope they wont make too much of these special episodes, different isn't always good. And I also disliked the scream in the end like many others.

danharr

[20]Feb 9, 2010
    • level: 45
    I like Cuddy so a story from her perspective was just fine real surprising she's a neurotic mess giving herself morning pep talks and the scream at the end was just childish. I would've loved to see drug dealing pharmacist taken away in cuffs but still a fun episode but Lucus he's an annoying character now.