House Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

Official Discussion Thread: Swan Song/Everyone Dies (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 19, 2012
    • level: 101

Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 5/21/12 series finale "Everyone Dies" at 9/8 central.

Preceded by the retrospective special, "Swan Song", at 8/7 central. Not sure what there is to discuss about a retrospective, but have at it.

Enjoy!
    Edited on 05/19/2012 6:45pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hazben

[2]May 20, 2012
    • level: 3
    WELL????

does house croak himself somehow by his own hand or die in some unforseen accident, motorcycle wreck on the way to turn himself in? natural cause like heart attack, stroke froma clot in his leg, etc... or pain killer over dose, drive his bike into a wall at full speed?? or......do house and wilson decide to do a double and and end it together?

or...does house realize [after much inner thoughts and demon confrontation] that he still has much life and much to do in this world and can do the rest of his time [7 months] and he somehow, either by his own actions or hers, he rekindles with his russian "bride" realizing he truelly does have someone who loves him and gets him and can shake off his quirks ala wilson. or....... A SHOCKER!!!!

do we see house "snap out of it" and we see that this whole thing is a constant dilusion by a mentally ill genious who has for most of his life has been institutionalized, and this whole thing was his mind playing out an alter life. we know he has DEEP mental issues and has been "committed" one time, because of......... delusional thoughts of an alter life!!! after all, how many of us [i say all] have wondered many times how this guy could EVER keep a job in a hospital no matter how brilliant he is. answer? he couldnt. but this is all a delusion in the mind of a blown out mind and that doesnt play a part in his ongoing delusion. makes sense! but, so do several other scenerios. not all of us will be happy of whatever fate awaits house.

at the end we see that wilson is actually his psycologist assigned to his case. cuddy has been institution figurehead, his "team" members are other patients and or staff members in the loony bin. there was a movie not long ago with leonardo dicaprio where he was a detective working a murder mystery on an island that has this same plot. at the end, it was all a life he played out in his head over and over and over, like groundhog day, only "snapping out of it" every so often and being told that once again, he was a long term patient and the whole thing has been a re occuring delusion. the staff played along with it as ther weas nothing that helped him other than to let it play out over and over. all untill [like every other time] he finds his way off the island and it all ends at the boat dock with him being restrained and and brought back to the institution and "reality".

SO WHATS IT GONNA BE FOLKS? FINAL ANSWER, as we have one more day to get it "right".

hoe does it end?

SpartXen

[3]May 21, 2012
    • level: 4
    All I know is that the stars said it was a 'satisfying' ending. I don't think House waking up for a delusion, or him dying in prison while Wilson dies of cancer, would be very satisfying. That being said, I don't think that means it won't be tragic. 'Everybody Dies' doesn't necessarily mean someone (or several someones) have to die in this episode. It could simply represent a change in House's way of thinking (from 'everybody lies' to 'everybody dies') and his ultimate acceptance of mortality, be that Wilson's or his own. If the last episode was any indication, I think this episode is going to be completely unpredictable, and I can't wait to see what the writers have in store.

no1thinker

[4]May 21, 2012
    • level: 19

I hope that it's not a delusion. That was done with the end of St. Elsewhere & it was very disappointing. With what I've been reading, it's supposed to be a satisfying ending to the show.

showinuse9

[5]May 21, 2012
    • level: 11
    the title makes me nervous about the way it ends but i guess thats good. bit of anticipation on what will happen. i hope its just one liner after 1 liner and ends with a smile

ChristopherMa1

[6]May 21, 2012
    • level: 1

So here it comes: I started watching the show as I was a Medstudent, now I am a Neurosurgical resident and even thouqh the show cares less about the medical suspence and mistery, than the intruiging realtioship status of the characters, over the years, I havent stopped watching.

It is of no secret that Dr. House is based on the famous character of Sherlock Holmes.

So lets see.... (H)ouse = (H)olmes: The exentric lonley genius individual that keeps solving misteries......

......(W)ilson = (W)atson, his unforgettable sidekick !

As we all can remember (not only from the new movie), but actualy from the books of Sherlock Holmes...... The main character falls into the waterfalls in a Struggle with his Archenemy: Prof Moriarti to an UNCERTAIN death !

As for (M)oriarti = (M)ichael Tritter the Detective in Season 3 and 4 .... or maybe, just maybe (M)oriarty = (M)edical, (M)edicine, (M)istery and (M)ortality.

Whatever comes I´m glad my Favorite show is coming to an end...... its been great, and I sure am looking to a fulfilling ending.

blackmage8472

[7]May 21, 2012
    • level: 15

I really liked it. And I'm pretty hard to impress on series finales.

zan4

[8]May 21, 2012
    • level: 10
    It wasnt great you can tell the ending was a season not series finally honestly I felt a better end last year when he drove a car thro cuddy house

wildhoney66

[9]May 21, 2012
    • level: 13

it wasn't written as a season ender, they decided quite early to end it this year. if ya recall "Hugh Laurie'" contract was expiring this year. so

they had time to write an ending. i'm glad the stars are liked the ending. it was ok. i didn't think it should have been the way it was. cause the main cast was barely in it. plus if he was seeing dead people not all of them were dead! i dunno i didn't like them giving Wilson Cancer. but him being on the road with him that i liked. but it certainly wasn't the worst ending to a show i've ever seen. to be fair.

i just would we would have had some sort of Closure on him & Cuddy. that's all. the reason of her not being there did make sense honestly. at least in the premiere. but not even at the wake? you would think. honestly i dunno what else she was acting to not do it. does anyone know?

mobo66

[10]May 21, 2012
    • level: 4

It's been a few hours since the finale aired and I have to say that it has finally sunk in and now I'm sad to know that there will be no more House to look forward to next season, and we will never see these characters again.

As for the finale itself, it was ok but I think it could have been better had it been two hours. The dialogs with house and the dead characters went by too quickly, especially if they were meant to make House do something about changing his life and getting out of that situation. Some of my friends thought switching the dental records was a reach but then again for this show it wasn't that big of a reach.

For a finale there wasn't much emphasis on the rest of the characters. We only saw brief glimpses of what they went on to do after that period was done (Foreman in his same position, Chase as the new head, Cameron with a baby etc).

I know some people will say that this would have been cheesy, but it would have been cool if we saw the rest of the team together at the end in some capacity. They brought Cameron back so they could have had her share some words with Chase and Foreman, or at least some words between Foreman and Chase. Some closure with Foreman and 13 would have been nice as well.

My friends and I have been discussing what we think House would do after Wilson passes. Would he continue to live in hiding? Would he get in touch with his old team? Would he face his jail time (with faking his death leading to a lot more jail time)?

drudager

[11]May 21, 2012
    Overall, it felt like a crummy finale (just depressing and dreary as hell) and about as anti-climatic & general for 55 minutes (who the hell wanted to see House burn to death in an abandoned warehouse where junkies hang out??) but of course, he faked his own death so he could hang out with his best friend for 5 months in what was basically a House/Wilson love story into the sunset. Not that it's awful, it's just predictable & cheesy.

blackmage8472

[12]May 21, 2012
    • level: 15

mobo66 wrote:
    For a finale there wasn't much emphasis on the rest of the characters. We only saw brief glimpses of what they went on to do after that period was done (Foreman in his same position, Chase as the new head, Cameron with a baby etc).

I know some people will say that this would have been cheesy, but it would have been cool if we saw the rest of the team together at the end in some capacity. They brought Cameron back so they could have had her share some words with Chase and Foreman, or at least some words between Foreman and Chase. Some closure with Foreman and 13 would have been nice as well.

I think I liked it more that it focused pretty much exclusively on House, the show is mostly about him after all. The truth is for the major fellows we already had some sort of closure for all of them before this episode, they had all taken the last of what they could from House.

The only issues I had with the episode were a) No Cuddy. Granted odds are they simply could work out the scheduling or money or other conflicts but it would have been nice if she was one of his hallucinations. That said, the return of Stacy (Sela Ward) as a hallucination wasdefinitelya great plan B. b) I would have liked to see at least a quick cutaway scene of House escaping the building after it's revealed that he's alive.

But those are minor issues. As I said, I appreciated that the episode was House working out his final problem... also I almost cheered when Amber returned.

drudager

[13]May 21, 2012
    mobo66 wrote:

My friends and I have been discussing what we think House would do after Wilson passes. Would he continue to live in hiding? Would he get in touch with his old team? Would he face his jail time (with faking his death leading to a lot more jail time)?

Well he can't go back to work or live in his home anymore, so he'd probably go back to that island he ran way to after crashing into Cuddy's house. He was basically a fugitive. Absolutely he would end up with more jail time. I really don't believe he actually had an epiphany, because after all he is a serious addict and he can't cure himself. As for his remaining days, House is pretty well rounded so he could find more than enough to fill his days. Plus he could also still do "puzzles" online anonymously again.

83optics

[14]May 21, 2012
    • level: 6

learned:

* Lakers losing big...(yes!)

* heroin > God

* that last step is a doozy...

* did anyone else lose their local House Suicide Pool?

* life begins after "death".

thewiseonechris

[15]May 22, 2012
    • level: 8

I didn't like the explanation they gave for House surviving. "Oh I slipped out the back", especially when Wilson saw... and WE saw House look at Wilson, the ceiling collapse on him and the building explode, with not enough time for his limp self to get out. I guess there's not really any better explanation but...

Also why was Foreman smiling when he looked at House's ID card at the end? I don't think it was what was under the table leg earlier in the episode, but I guess it could have been. But you'd think House had his ID on him. So I'd like to think House put the ID card there under the table leg after he was supposedly dead, and when Foreman found it at the end of the episode, he smiled (knowing House so well) because he realized what House did. (faked his death) I hope that's what the writers were going for

-Master_K-

[16]May 22, 2012
    • level: 37

thewiseonechris wrote:

I didn't like the explanation they gave for House surviving. "Oh I slipped out the back", especially when Wilson saw... and WE saw House look at Wilson, the ceiling collapse on him ,and the building explode, with not enough time for his limp self to get out. I guess there's not really any better explanation but...

Also why was Foreman smiling when he looked at House's ID card at the end? I don't think it was what was under the table leg earlier in the episode, but I guess it could have been. But you'd think House had his ID on him. So I'd like to think House put the ID card there under the table leg after he was supposedly dead, and when Foreman found it at the end of the episode, he smiled (knowing House so well) because he realized what House did. (faked his death) I hope that's what the writers were going for

I like to think that Foreman figured it out too. It still hasn't hit me that the series is over. I never really posted on the House forums during its run but I figured the final episode is as good a time as any. I really enjoyed the finale, and I have to say I'm so glad that in the end House was alive and the series ended on a happier note than I expected. It was nice seeing some familiar faces, especially Cameron's. I'm glad that we got to see a little of where most of the characters ended up (Cameron's family, Chase taking House's position etc.)

The only disappointment was no Cuddy. I think it would have been something to see her as House's last vision as he hallucinated in the burning building.

It's late and I'm exhausted so I'm sure I'm forgetting to write some more things I enjoyed about the finale but overall it was a great end to a great series and I'm really going to miss it.

Edited on 05/22/2012 12:51am

thribs

[17]May 22, 2012
    • level: 8

When did Wilson get cancer? That seems rather cruel and very unoriginal considering what his job is.

Why was House going back to prison? I haven't watched Hoouse since the first episode of season 8.

HJS

[18]May 22, 2012

Long time viewer of "House". First time to post in any "House" forum. This forum will do just fine. The finale was well crafted and left viewers to form their own opinion as to whether House died or not. I think House survived the fire and faked his own death to be with Wilson to the bitter end. Why do I think he survived? Two very small events that were very telling that he survived… (ok, now three). First there was the text message to Wilson cellphone as he was speaking at House's wake. "Shut up you dope" (Not sure of the exact wording) which IMHO indicated to me that House was still alive. Even the people attending the wake heard Wilson's cellphone ring, so that wasn't Wilson's imagination. Meh… maybe the cellphone really did ring but maybe Wilson imagined the actual text message… but I choose that it was really House. Very in-character for House to resurrect himself to Wilson so that no one else would know. Second, House's ID card under the leg of Forman's wobbly table. House WOULD NOT have placed it there before the fire… only after the fire. I mean, even House could not have predicted his near death, or actual death, in a warehouse fire. My only gripe was the collapse and explosion of the warehouse was asking a bit much of us to believe House survived that without a scratch showing anywhere on his face when he first met Wilson after the Wake while sitting on the steps. He could have survived the collapse… but the explosion??? I could have done without the explosion. Oh yeah, just came to me (third), the fire rescue folks only pulled out one body! They surely would have found both of them had they both died in the fire. Anyway, I was very pleased to see both House and Wilson riding off into the sunset on their Harleys. On the other hand, if House really survived, he certainly did trash the rest of his career and life. I guess this indicated just how much House needed Wilson as his one and only true friend.

DanTr90

[19]May 22, 2012
    I'm not sure if I missed something, but isn't House also guilty of murder after this episode? The man who was dead next to him in the burning building shouldn't have died. House discovered what was wrong with him, and the team fixed him during surgery. It's implied that the man would take his choice back after telling House he would take the fall for him in the MRI machine vandalism case. So it appeared to me that the man did, and so House found a way to kill both of them. Also it is very hard to imagine House could survive that explosion. If he really had made it out a backdoor of that building, the inferno would have followed him. A fire of that size isn't going to go out only one way.

nugentt

[20]May 22, 2012
    DanTr90 wrote:
    I'm not sure if I missed something, but isn't House also guilty of murder after this episode? The man who was dead next to him in the burning building shouldn't have died. House discovered what was wrong with him, and the team fixed him during surgery. It's implied that the man would take his choice back after telling House he would take the fall for him in the MRI machine vandalism case. So it appeared to me that the man did, and so House found a way to kill both of them. Also it is very hard to imagine House could survive that explosion. If he really had made it out a backdoor of that building, the inferno would have followed him. A fire of that size isn't going to go out only one way.

Exactly. Wilson looked right at him in the window and then the ceiling fell & boom. For that reason the amount of "suspension of disbelief" required for this episode to work was too much for me. If they'd had 2 hrs maybe they could have squeezed in a more believable plot.

The Swan Song was Ok. A bit too overproduced and it lacked a crucial element, the musical team.