House Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

Official Discussion Thread: Swan Song/Everyone Dies (possible spoilers)

watcher1006

[22]May 22, 2012
    • level: 10

I stopped watching this show sometime last fall but I tuned in to see the finale. Of course I didn't know the stories immediately leading up to this last episode such as that of Wilson's cancer, but it didn't really matter.

Interesting the people who House talked to in his conversations with dead or otherwise departed people. I could actually imagine that Kutner would have weighed more on his mind these last three years than, say Taub or Chase. I don't doubt that Amber has never been far from the forefront of his consciousness, with her three-way relationship with both him and with Wilson. Stacy was another natural. Cameron isn't quite as natural, but I could see her in the back of his mind as a potential love lost, even if he could never admit that to himself. The most glaring omission from the list was, as mentioned by others, Lisa Cuddy. The single most important female in House's life over the sum of seven seasons. I have to imagine that the show's creators would have featured her in the finale if they could of, but that issues such as money, scheduling, or just Lisa Edelstein's own preference made her appearance impossible.

I just shrugged at this finale - I didn't feel strongly about it one way or another, nor did I regret dropping this show from my viewing repertoire months ago. It was a strongly compelling watch at one point, but in my opinion it had been fading for years.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fifilein

[23]May 22, 2012
    • level: 4

hm, i must admit, it was a very weak episode, but at least they got the ending right (and the fact that foreman knows)

Ingelief

[24]May 22, 2012
    • level: 7

wtf is this for episode? Why would he fake is death ? how can he live his life after wilsons dies? u cant live without identity...

Weird.

xyzlug

[25]May 22, 2012
    • level: 2
    I liked it . . . what impressed me was how important Wilson was to House.

There were good endings for other characters - Cameron and Stacy with families, Taub with his children and ex-wife and ex-girlfriend all getting along, Chase heading up the team, Foreman as Dean of Medicine.

I wondered if maybe Taub left the team. In the last shot of the team, I didn't clearly see him - just a guy with dark hair (maybe the pathologist from "Post-Mortem" finally got a spot on the team). Taub seemed to be adament about working with House, and not Foreman, so maybe he didn't want to work on the team with Chase in charge.

I want to see the episode again to see what characters returned and who would attend House's funeral. It's too bad Cuddy wasn't there.

lynna12000

[26]May 22, 2012
    • level: 21
    Ingelief wrote:

wtf is this for episode? Why would he fake is death ? how can he live his life after wilsons dies? u cant live without identity...

Weird.

House's sense of identity has never been a problem. He's a clever guy. He can probably sell a story about temp amnesia. Besides, he's returning (or trying to) the favor that Wilson has done him all these years: being an AWESOME best friend.

ltcomstella

[27]May 22, 2012
    • level: 18

see my review.. but to add to that,

masters ? no idea what she's doing now....

was house really in the fire ? he could of been tripping on heroinat home and the junkie guy killed him self for house hence why house had no visiable injuries

what of dominika ?

would foreman some how contact house for help at some point ?

will house go crazy when he can't play music ?

will the hookers house used survive with his financial support ?

and stacey was a 'dream as was her baby'

Gypsyartist2

[28]May 22, 2012
    • level: 1

For me, this show has always been about House and his friendhip with Wilson. I wish the writers hadnt given Wilson Cancer, but I'm happy they didnt kill House. They needed to make one of them terminally ill for the drama and for closure. Its nice to think these two friends would spend the last months of Wilson's life together. However, I cant imagine House without Wilson. House was the ass you loved to hate. But, Wilson truly cared about House. House always managed to find some way to cope with death and dying. But, Wilson was always there to pick up the pieces. House may have been an ass - but, as Wilson said, "he saved lives."

This was the best written show on TV. I will miss it very much. I will think often of House and where he may be. Hopefully, on some island, drinking rum drinks and healing the natives. Maybe having a few native galfriends that will help him pass the time. As much as I hated to see it end - it needed to end.

mobo66

[29]May 22, 2012
    • level: 4

One of my favourite parts in the closing scenes had to be when Foreman found House's ID tag. I guess there was some friendship there between them at the end of it all. I'm sure they would probably get in touch somewhere in the future.

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't mind the fact that Cuddy was not there. It would have been good to have her there during the hallucinations, but her not showing up to the funeral would have been OK since she probably would still have some ill feelings.

As others have said, the explosion was a bit of a reach and it would have been fine had they just shown a part of the building collapsing between House and the doorway. It would have left the viewers with a little doubt in regards to House's death. There's also the logistics of House switching the dental records but I guess it's best not to over-think these things.

One thing that I always thought would happen at the end of the show was some kind of resolution to House's leg and the physical and emotional pain it gives him. I thought at a point that he would lose his leg in the burning building and need to have it amputated, or something along those lines. They never really touched upon that and I guess he will have to live on with the pain.

MajLorne

[30]May 22, 2012

I will say that while the show has slipped a lot from previous seasons, it was still better than most other shows around. Mondays won't be the same anymore.

I can't really say it was a bad ending as more or less everyone got a fitting farewell: Chase taking over for House as the dept head, House-Wilson riding off, Cameron returning (or was that a different hospital, they didn't make it clear and probably just recycled a set)?

Obviously like someone noted, I find it far fetched about House surviving that collapse. From the looks of it, he was almost at the door and the ceiling caved in on top of him. Even a person with both good legs can't react that fast. And it seemed too convenient that house planted the fake dental work on the dead guy. I get the show doesn't care about the diagnosis, but they never explained why House and the patient were doing in that place unless House agreed to kill the guy and end the suffering?

On Cuddy, I don't blame her for not showing up, House did drive his car thru her House and almost killed her. So that alone, I can see why she wouldn't want anything to do with him. As for the actress herself, I am puzzled why she wasn't there. It must be either the writers keeping her out or maybe they couldn't afford to bring her back even for a few seconds?

As for that island, I think that would be the last place he'd go if that's where the authorities found him before sending him to jail.

Edited on 05/22/2012 2:17pm

RacerX780

[31]May 22, 2012
    • level: 3
    I thought it was ok... when it seemed like House had died, I was upset that they would end the series like that.... but I think they did it well with him faking his death.

As far as living like that - you would be surprised how easy it would be. He was the head of the dept for how many years??? He had to have been paid extremely well.... so I'm sure he has a decent amount of money saved.... which he could live off of by paying cash for everything.

Would it be super easy? Probably not, but I bet it wouldn't be as hard as you might think. IMO

Yaspaa

[32]May 22, 2012
    • level: 79
    Oh man...that was really sad. Bye House.

thewiseonechris

[33]May 23, 2012
    • level: 8

Here's a Q and A with the creator that was posted by TV Guide... but for anyone who doesn't want to sit and read through it, here are two facts that House creator David Shore states:

- Foreman DOES know that House is alive. When Foreman found the ID card under the table leg it was House telling Foreman he was okay. (I'm glad this is true.)

- He DID want Lisa Edelstein (Cuddy) there for the finale. He wouldn't go into detail but I'm guessing she left the show on bad terms?

Article source

You started plotting this ending around January, right?
    David Shore:
    We came up with this idea and it still wasn't defined whether this was the last season or not and we had a semi-backup plan. But you can't work on two shows at once. We had to decide which show we were doing: Season 8 or the final season. Ultimately, I made the decision that I couldn't allow it to drag out any longer and we proceeded with it.

So this was always the end of the cancer arc you planned for Wilson?
    Shore:
    This finale was part and parcel with what we mapped out. Wilson has cancer. House deals with it well, House deals with it badly, and both of them reach a level of acceptance at different times. Pretty early on we knew it was going to be House debating "How am I going to deal with this?" and ultimately doing what he did.

At that point, did you know he would be debating it with hallucinations of former cast members?
    Shore:
    I liked the idea in general, but a big part of it was that it gave us an opportunity to do what so many shows do at the end, which is have all the other people come back from the past. But this was having them come back in a very different way. As we started to write it, we started discussing which people from past shows it should be. There were certain availability issues, although really not a lot. [We had] four of them come back, including two that were dead, and discuss with House the value of his life in different contexts.

Did you ever consider not doing that because so many other shows do parade the old familiar faces in for the series send-off?
    Shore:
    We never want to do anything exactly like [someone else]. But it's all about execution. I don't want to do an idea because somebody else did it, but I also don't want to reject it because somebody else did it. I do reject it if we're just repeating what they did, but if we find a different way to approach something, I am more than happy to do it. I think that's what we had here.

Did you worry that having almost every major character back would make it more glaring that Lisa Edelstein's Cuddy was missing?
    Shore:
    I don't want to go into it too much. I did want her back. That's all I'm going to say.

Tell me about House's big epiphany before he strides toward the exit. The show has always sort of suggested that people don't change, yet it seems House wants to try.
    Shore:
    That's exactly right. I don't know that House can change, and I don't know that he needs to change. But the recognition, the striving for change, the striving to constantly be better in spite of our nature, which doesn't make it easy, is one of the thing that keeps us human.

Do you think it's possible for someone with a bad limp to escape that quickly out the back door of a burning building? Dramatic license?
    Shore:
    With the fire and that explosion and the timing and what you actually saw and what you didn't see, it was certainly intended to make the audience believe it's going to be very, very difficult for him to get out. The collapse was supposed to be possibly on him [or] possibly in front of him. It certainly would have been tricky for him to get out, but we don't have a full understanding of the geography of the interior. It was supposed to be almost impossible, but possible.

How did you land on having House fake his death?
    Shore:
    We always like having a little twist. We don't want to make things straight-ahead. We don't want it miserable, we don't want it happy. We thought of all sorts of things, but then we started talking about this. The text message, to me, was the moment where I was like, "Oh yeah, that's good." That still tickles me.

It also echoed your inspiration for House, Sherlock Holmes.
    Shore:
    We didn't sit together as a group of writers and think "How did Conan Doyle deal with Holmes?" We thought of ideas and then we had the idea that he's dead but he's not dead for Wilson's sake. I instantly realized that the faking death is exactly what Conan Doyle did with Holmes, which was just another reason to do it.

You've said that "bittersweet" was the best we'd get from the finale, though it seemed a little sweeter than I expected.
    Shore:
    We're bordering on that. But one of those two guys on the motorcycle has five months to live. I know it's a cliché, but it's House and Wilson riding off into the sunset almost literally. That is a cliché, but the fact is, Wilson is dying. I like the fact that we're doing that while he's dying. And it's just House again assessing, "What's important here? And what do I need to do to achieve that?"

Did you ever consider writing Wilson's death into the finale?
    Shore:
    Yes we did, but not that seriously because then it would have been an episode about Wilson. Now, Wilson motivates what happens in this episode and Wilson is a huge part of what happens in this episode. But this is an episode about House assessing his life and his choices, which I think makes sense as a final episode.

Do you have the epilogue mapped out in your mind? How do you think House will react when Wilson ultimately dies?
    Shore:
    The story is the story and the story ends where the story ends where the story ends. I do like the fact that we're leaving the audience with something to fill in for themselves. I just wanted to think about House and Wilson on the road.

Was it important for you to have Wilson finally stand up to House and not reward his bad behavior?
    Shore:
    This season was about consequence. House lost Cuddy. He went to jail. We spoke to a lot of lawyers about that and he wound up serving way more time than a person would have in that circumstance. That was him accepting the consequence. He's certainly a man who's paid a huge price personally. He's not physically healthy and he's not happy. And he's paid a huge price to pursue what he wants to pursue, which is solving puzzles.

What kind of puzzles do you think he will look for since he can't practice medicine?
    Shore:
    Who knows what will happen, but he is giving up a lot. Although he didn't have a choice at the end, he is giving something up to spend time with Wilson.

I liked the montage of the original team members at the end.
    Shore:
    It is the end of the series and they were an important part of the series. We wanted to leave the audience with where they are now and what's in their future.

Does Foreman (Omar Epps) realize in that last moment that House is still alive?
    Shore:
    It was House saying to Foreman saying, "Don't worry, I'm OK."

What do you think the legacy of this show will be?
    Shore:
    I'm proud of the show and everything we did. I'm proud that we did 177 episodes very well. Not all equally well, but we did 177 episodes that I'm proud of. In terms of legacy, that was there almost from the beginning. That character and what that character stands for — the pursuit of truth — I'm so honored and lucky to be able to put that in front of millions of people and make people think a little bit.

Source

Edited on 05/23/2012 2:00am
    Edited 2 total times.

steheaps

[34]May 23, 2012

I guess it wasn't the ending most of us were expecting, and with finales you always feel they could have been better, but I have to say it was very fitting. It just came down to the two main characters, House and Wilson, and what they both mean to each other. House is willing to give up his life and everything that really matters to him, and Wilson will always do anything he can for the good of the person he cares for. For me, the last scene was just great. Just two people, enjoying life with someone they liked, with nothing else really to care about. Thank you House, for one of the greatest TV shows I have seen and possibly ever will. I'm kind of lost without a next season to look forward to but i will remember you fondly.

Edited on 05/23/2012 4:24am

nugentt

[35]May 23, 2012
    Darn, in the TVGuide Q&A they forgot to ask if House actually helped the guy kill himself in order to create the death alibi.

Seriously, he could have found another way of dying that wouldn't involve needing to have a body to id, like going sailing and falling overboard or something....

drudager

[36]May 23, 2012
    • level: 13
    Btw when I saw the title for this finale, it's the same one I always used & hoped for when the "Friends" finale was pending

Again for this show's finale, I always thought it would had been a bunch of grand events where House shows off his brilliance (like say, curing cancer) instead of almost dying from a symptom of himself. It seems like everyone is asking more questions than there were tied up ends (and I didn't need closure on the Cuddy issue; House obviously finally pissed her off enough) and this could had been any other episode. Really would had been satisfied if they ended it last season with House on the island.

xyzlug

[37]May 23, 2012

For a couple of years, I have had in mind an ending for House that would resolve the ever-present story of House's bad leg and his addiction.

At the end of season six, in "Help Me', House is under a collapsed building where he finds a woman, Hannah, whose leg was pinned under something. House helps persuade her to have the leg amputated. She resists just like House resists having his leg amputated.

House is knocked out soon after by falling debris. Season seven is about House's adventure in a Land of Oz, wherehis steamy affair with Cuddy (the Witch), the character of Martha Masters (Dorothy) and the Wizard (House) isa dream.

House wakes up from the dream with his leg gone, and Cuddy gone (married or dead). The final season would be about House slowing accepting a prosthetic leg, and gradually giving up drugs.

The real ending, with Wilson and House riding off together, was good too. The final episode gave the viewer real insight into House's love for Wilson. But I was disappointed that the story about House's leg and addiction was never finished.

drudager

[38]May 23, 2012
    • level: 13
    xyzlug wrote:

But I was disappointed that the story about House's leg and addiction was never finished.

I wonder if David Shore is going to wake up sometime this year and go, "oh CRAP! We completely forgot about House's leg & addiction plot!" because it does seem like it was forgotten. Now that I think about it, it bugs me way more than the unresolved Cuddy plot (was any explanation given for that? Why would she give up since a prestigious job?)

nugentt

[39]May 24, 2012
    Hmmm... wasn't all the info about the leg given in "Three Stories"?

MajLorne

[40]May 24, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    xyzlug wrote:

But I was disappointed that the story about House's leg and addiction was never finished.

I wonder if David Shore is going to wake up sometime this year and go, "oh CRAP! We completely forgot about House's leg & addiction plot!" because it does seem like it was forgotten. Now that I think about it, it bugs me way more than the unresolved Cuddy plot (was any explanation given for that? Why would she give up since a prestigious job?)
    Well he did drive a car thru her house and almost killed her, I would think it'd be hard to forgive someone for that even if he was dead. As for real life, could be either the actress couldn't make it or she didn't arrive to an ($) agreement.