House Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

When would the old team be back ?

LovingLucy

[101]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 1

JavaJunkieQueen wrote:
    I miss the dynamic the old team had. House definitely summed it up on the plane in "Airbourne", when he had the random passengers pretending to be Chase, Cameron, and Foreman. The old team balanced each other out, but there was enough between all of them that the relationships were interesting. By that I mean that Cameron could have an interesting conversation with Chase or Foreman, even Wilson or Cuddy, as could all the other characters. They were all a lot more connected with each other, and we got to see their opinions, of themselves and each other. With the new team, it's all about their indivudual relationships with House, and I miss that whole team dynamic when House isn't around. They don't challenge House the way the old team did, so we don't get all those indights into House that we used to. The show's lost something, definitely, with the new team, because it's all ABOUT the new team. They've focused so much energy on making a dramatic change that they lost what made the show great in the first place. I fell in love with House because it was centered more on the man and the mystery than all the drama. This season, there's hardly and Clinic Duty, or funny House/Wilson or House/Cuddy scenes that don't have to do with the new team. Cameron's not hanging around trying to act like she's not in love with House, when we all know she is. I think that by trying to be too edgy, House lost a lot of its edge.

I agree with all this. I've been barely hanging on this year, suffering through the horrible CIA episodes and House's over-the-top lewd and crude remarks, the absurd thong challenge, his inexplicable preferential treatment of Thirteen, and House's conflicting hiring practices, to name just a few, in the hopes of seeing the old team reunited and back in House's orbit. When we first found out about the changes, we were assured by Katie Jacobs that the old team would return in "full force" by the end of the survivor arc. Instead, Chase and Cameron are hidden in the background as much as ever, while the bland and wooden new team, led by the horrible Thirteen, is still being shoved down my throat.

The depth in this show has nearly disappeared. Instead we get to see just how outrageous House can be, and Cuddy has been rendered completely ineffective this season. The Gregory House I remember would never have allowed Thirteen to get away with her pointed drug use comments. He would never have murmured a sweet, "I wish I could have kept you" to Thirteen after we were momentarily delighted to think she was being fired. He would never have allowed Thirteen and the others to drug him, tie him down, and perform a biopsy without anesthetic! The old Greg House would have fired the lot of them, or at least made their lives a living hell! Who is this guy? Apparently he's a guy who thinks Thirteen is "so hot." Ick.

I don't agree with the poster who passes off our reasons for not liking the new team as simply "not liking change." There have been very valid reasons given why people do not like the new team. I've given them 11 episodes to make an impact on me and I still don't like them. I resent them. I liked Chase, Cameron, and Foreman right from the pilot episode. They had charm, charisma, and depth, and they all cared about House in spite of his treatment of them. They did not allow House to run roughshod over everyone the way he does now. None of them would have participated in the ridiculous thong challenge.

I do not understand the argument that we will "learn new things about House" through the new team. It's been through the clinic patients (such as the rape patient in One Day, One Room) and the patient of the week (such as Gabe in Son of a Coma Guy) that we've discovered keys to House's past and what makes him tick. We're not going to get any such revelations with the new team. The only revelation I've seen so far is that House is a hypocritical idiot when it comes to hiring his team.

I noticed there are petitions on the House main forum for both Cameron (Jennifer Morrison thread) and Chase. It probably won't do a bit of good, but for anyone who feels the need to do something, however small, you might want to sign in.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

white_roses_975

[102]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 8
    Yeah!!! i read on tv guide that the old team was def. coming back and i was a little disapointed cause they gave it away but i assumed that it would happen soon because of them giving it away. >
    & i like what the person above me said about people saying that we don't like change. i like change for the better not for the worse.

Cassandra_Elise

[103]Apr 2, 2008
    • level: 14
    LovingLucy wrote:

I agree with all this. I've been barely hanging on this year, suffering through the horrible CIA episodes and House's over-the-top lewd and crude remarks, the absurd thong challenge, his inexplicable preferential treatment of Thirteen, and House's conflicting hiring practices, to name just a few, in the hopes of seeing the old team reunited and back in House's orbit. When we first found out about the changes, we were assured by Katie Jacobs that the old team would return in "full force" by the end of the survivor arc. Instead, Chase and Cameron are hidden in the background as much as ever, while the bland and wooden new team, led by the horrible Thirteen, is still being shoved down my throat.

The depth in this show has nearly disappeared. Instead we get to see just how outrageous House can be, and Cuddy has been rendered completely ineffective this season. The Gregory House I remember would never have allowed Thirteen to get away with her pointed drug use comments. He would never have murmured a sweet, "I wish I could have kept you" to Thirteen after we were momentarily delighted to think she was being fired. He would never have allowed Thirteen and the others to drug him, tie him down, and perform a biopsy without anesthetic! The old Greg House would have fired the lot of them, or at least made their lives a living hell! Who is this guy? Apparently he's a guy who thinks Thirteen is "so hot." Ick.

I don't agree with the poster who passes off our reasons for not liking the new team as simply "not liking change." There have been very valid reasons given why people do not like the new team. I've given them 11 episodes to make an impact on me and I still don't like them. I resent them. I liked Chase, Cameron, and Foreman right from the pilot episode. They had charm, charisma, and depth, and they all cared about House in spite of his treatment of them. They did not allow House to run roughshod over everyone the way he does now. None of them would have participated in the ridiculous thong challenge.

I do not understand the argument that we will "learn new things about House" through the new team. It's been through the clinic patients (such as the rape patient in One Day, One Room) and the patient of the week (such as Gabe in Son of a Coma Guy) that we've discovered keys to House's past and what makes him tick. We're not going to get any such revelations with the new team. The only revelation I've seen so far is that House is a hypocritical idiot when it comes to hiring his team.

I noticed there are petitions on the House main forum for both Cameron (Jennifer Morrison thread) and Chase. It probably won't do a bit of good, but for anyone who feels the need to do something, however small, you might want to sign in.

LovingLucy, you stated my feelings exactly in a very intelligent and articulate post. I applaud you.

geeneevzz

[104]Apr 9, 2008
    • level: 2
    indeed!! i love the old team...i don't like the new team.....i like cameron back!! (rally?!!?! ) wait...is cameron and chase really together at the show?? i mean...is that true that they're really lovers at the show?? awww...i like more if it's cameron-house tandem....

serina86

[105]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 8
    LovingLucy wrote:

JavaJunkieQueen wrote:
    I miss the dynamic the old team had. House definitely summed it up on the plane in "Airbourne", when he had the random passengers pretending to be Chase, Cameron, and Foreman. The old team balanced each other out, but there was enough between all of them that the relationships were interesting. By that I mean that Cameron could have an interesting conversation with Chase or Foreman, even Wilson or Cuddy, as could all the other characters. They were all a lot more connected with each other, and we got to see their opinions, of themselves and each other. With the new team, it's all about their indivudual relationships with House, and I miss that whole team dynamic when House isn't around. They don't challenge House the way the old team did, so we don't get all those indights into House that we used to. The show's lost something, definitely, with the new team, because it's all ABOUT the new team. They've focused so much energy on making a dramatic change that they lost what made the show great in the first place. I fell in love with House because it was centered more on the man and the mystery than all the drama. This season, there's hardly and Clinic Duty, or funny House/Wilson or House/Cuddy scenes that don't have to do with the new team. Cameron's not hanging around trying to act like she's not in love with House, when we all know she is. I think that by trying to be too edgy, House lost a lot of its edge.

Thank you.. no need to say more

steffi_totti

[106]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    Well, I hadn't realised how integral the old team was to the show until they are gone. I like the new variety of cases so far, but I can't say the same to House' poor character development and lack of interaction with Cuddy or Wilson. His lines have lost the wit and are just either plain rude, sexist or both. I don't see enough of Wilson or Cuddy, they have made Foreman outrageously boring, while Cameron and Chase have probably 2 minutes screen time tops and it seems that their minuscule scenes were forced only for the sake of crediting them.

This season is almost unbearable to watch. I really really think I'm gonna have to pass if the show continues to focus on the new team and go astray. It saddens me because House used to be my favorite show

LovingLucy

[107]Apr 12, 2008

This season is almost unbearable to watch. I really really think I'm gonna have to pass if the show continues to focus on the new team and go astray. It saddens me because House used to be my favorite show

This is exactly the way I feel. I used to love this show, but I hate the changes. If the seasons ends with Chase and Cameron gone and the new team still front-and-center, I know I won't be back.

I don't understand why they took such a drastic step. If they wanted to shake things up a little, they could have added a character such as Kutner to the cast. I wouldn't have minded adding a character, but dropping half the cast all at once makes no sense! Shows such as CSI and Law & Order SVU have kept their core cast intact and still maintained high ratings, quality, and fan goodwill.

In reading spoilers for upcoming episodes and seeing the words "House's team," I always feel a big letdown when I realize that the "team" in the DDx will not be the familiar and beloved Chase, Cameron, and Foreman team, but the dry-as-dust combo of Kutner, Taub, and Thirteen. I simply cannot make myself care about the latter.

CoraxCZ

[108]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 2

First, Word to everything doarpr said.

Second, as far as I know, ratings has significantly improved compared to season three, so I guess most of audience likes changes TPTB has made. So to indulge my craving for maliciousness and mockery...

People have spoken, indeed!

* Shrughs *

Say what you want but ratings decide whether we will enjoy another season of House and IMHO most of casual viewers watch for House and his antics and bizarre medicine.

Show evolves. That's a fact. And either you enjoy the changes, or you take negative stance and say "This sucks, show was better back then."

Personally, season 4 is my second favorite with season 1 being the winner and champion precisely because of new team.

Sure I have complaints: I would like more angst. Thirteen is mostly meh and her "mysteriousness" can kiss my ass. Cuddy better get some big stick to hit House with 'cause while she can trade banter, as an administrator she sucks more than a cheerleader at a frat party ( but that's status quo since S2). I want Old ducklings gone and forgotten - you hear me PTBs? Either sh!t or get off the pot. And some of House's lines, like "I happen to have a position available on my penis Just. No.

But Wilson hasn't been this awesome since season 1 and I rejoice return of BestFriend!Wilson, espicially after PreachyParent!Wilson of S3. I also enjoy Foreman better than last season. Kutner is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters and I just love his obvious enthusiasm and freash eenrgy and excitement he brings to the show. I like Taub and I also like less miserable House.

IMHO people have tendency to overly idealize past seasons. They weren't perfect. Season One had unholy abomination that is Cameron Crush, Season Two had Stacy "Queen of Botox" Warner, S3 had... I almost do not deing to speak the name... Tritter arc (Ewww!). House was sometimes despicable jerk (e.g. Skin Deep), Cameron and Cuddy were consistently inconsistent and not all episodes were that great (Fidelity, Que Será Será, ODOR).

As for New Ducks vs. Old Ducks...

IMHO people are generaly unwilling to explore new characters mostly because they've already developed emotional attachment to already established characters and they don't want new characters to replace the ones they know and love.

Which is precisely what happened here.

That being said, I don't get the "New characters are shallow" accusation. Nostalgia is at work here, because in half of S1 I could have easily accused CCF of being flat like Cameron's chest. Chase was just spoiled ex-seminary snob, Cameron "young ingénue doctor" who married dying guy, and Foreman nothing but arrogant jerk with juvenile record.

I have to admit to probably unpopular fact: I never particularly liked old team. Me? In every show I have One True Character that I identify with closely, whose POV I share. Here it's Greg House, Angel has Wesley Wyndam-Pryce, Dead Like Me has Georgia Lass, X-Files has Mulder, Criminal Minds has Reid etc.

Ever since Pilot, I immediately loved House and Wilson and Cuddy and didn't care one bit about Cameron, Foreman and Chase who were just Token Pretty Girl, Token Black and Token Pretty Boy (took me couple of episodes before I remembered their names) for me.

Skip to the end of the season 3... and I still loved House, Wilson and Cuddy like pedophiles love playgrounds. As for ducklings...

I disliked Allison "Miss Sanctimonious" Cameron since The Crush and finally started to loathe her after she left patient for a quickie in Top Secret.

I grew fond of Chase over time, but I still wouldn't be particularly sad if he never came back after Human Error.

Foreman is just there. I don't care enough to particularly like him or dislike him.

I already like new team better than I ever did the old one and I really don't get the argument "New team is exactly like the old one, only worse"

Kutner and Chase may share out of box thinking, but Chase was NEVER this emotionally open (the Christmas episode was almost Cameron-like) and enthusiastic. Kutner really brings energy and excitement to the show.

Taub: I like that unlike Foreman, Taub seems more self-aware and knows his own worth. He has ability to manipulate Foreman never had and somewhat Chase-like easygoing qualities.

And Thirteen isn't quite as whiny and annoying as Cameron. Then again no power in the 'verse is more annoying than Cameron, so it doesn't say much.

They are all interesting, I think.

Your Mileage May Drastically Vary.

LovingLucy

[109]Apr 14, 2008

Say what you want but ratings decide whether we will enjoy another season of House and IMHO most of casual viewers watch for House and his antics and bizarre medicine.

I don't think we've gotten the true ratings with regard to the new team. There are quite a few people hanging on in hopes of seeing them bring back Chase and Cameron, as Katie Jacobs promised before the season began. The ratings have increased every year, increased ratings are not unique to this season. I would like to point out, though, that ratings from the beginning of the Survivor arc to the end in November decreased by nearly 3 million viewers, from approximately 19 million to 16 million.

Show evolves. That's a fact. And either you enjoy the changes, or you take negative stance and say "This sucks, show was better back then."

Option 3: Try and hang on in hopes that House will stop being especially crude, obnoxious, and over-the-top, Cuddy will find her spine, and that Chase and Cameron will return to bring some depth of character, ethical dilemmas, and restore some order.

Can anybody name a Season 4 episode that has enough depth, drama, and angst to give Hugh Laurie a shot at an Emmy nom? I can't. He'll be competing against actors like Kyle Chandler, who regularly is given a range of scenes in every episode, from loving, overprotective father to kick-ass football coach. House has had some wonderful meaty episodes in the past to choose from, but nothing this year that's going to make a judge sit up and take notice.

IMHO people have tendency to overly idealize past seasons. They weren't perfect. Season One had unholy abomination that is Cameron Crush, Season Two had Stacy "Queen of Botox" Warner, S3 had... I almost do not deing to speak the name... Tritter arc (Ewww!). House was sometimes despicable jerk (e.g. Skin Deep), Cameron and Cuddy were consistently inconsistent and not all episodes were that great (Fidelity, Que Será Será, ODOR).

I absolutely agree that there are stinkers in the bunch, although I don't agree with your choices except for "Skin Deep." I hated House in that episode. The Tritter arc was overlong and his powers were way beyond belief, but the arc also brought us some fantastic episodes that picked apart the House/Wilson friendship until it was almost completely broken, then put it painstakingly back together again. "Merry Little Christmas" was surely an Emmy-winner, had Hugh Laurie chosen that one for submission. "Son of Coma Guy" was another outstanding episode from the Tritter arc. We also got to see the extent of loyalty for House that Chase, Cameron, and Foreman exhibited, in spite of intense pressure from Tritter.

I also thought the Stacy arc went on too long, but I believe it served a good purpose. It gave us a glimpse into House's ability/inability to sustain a relationship and hopefully it brought him closure and peace with regard to Stacy's place in his life.

IMHO people are generaly unwilling to explore new characters mostly because they've already developed emotional attachment to already established characters and they don't want new characters to replace the ones they know and love.

I will definitely say that I am deeply attached to the established characters, although I am willing to see new characters added as long as they are on the periphery instead of Chase and Cameron. I'm fine with them keeping Kutner, he can do the scut work and entertain us at the same time! Taub bores me senseless; I don't care about his old practice or his infidelity. He'd be OK as a peripheral character, but not front-and-center. Thirteen... mere words can't describe my dislike for this character.

That being said, I don't get the "New characters are shallow" accusation. Nostalgia is at work here, because in half of S1 I could have easily accused CCF of being flat like Cameron's chest. Chase was just spoiled ex-seminary snob, Cameron "young ingénue doctor" who married dying guy, and Foreman nothing but arrogant jerk with juvenile record.

Nostalgia may be at work here, but not because we're seeing things that aren't there! From the very first episode, the characters of CCF were taking shape. Cameron is reluctant to give bad news, preferring to give hope as long as possible. That theme continued well into the third season, and culminated in the wonderful "One Day, One Room" episode. Early on, we see that Cameron is patient-oriented, she is the caring, ethical and emotional center of House's team. House needs her to keep him in his place, as he told her in "Kids," and I believe this. Without Cameron this season to balance him out, House has been out-of-control. Chase is seen from the very first episode as being the most like House in his "out-of-the-box" thinking. Very quickly, we learn that Chase has had a painful childhood (not spoiled) which he keeps bottled up inside - just like House. We learn quickly that he still has some deep religious faith left over from seminary school, and we see that carried out in other seasons, like the emotional and gut-wrenching scene from "Forever" where he is praying over the dead baby. Absolutely awesome. I want to see Chase deal with his feelings toward his crappy parents; I'm still very much interested in his character. As for Foreman, we again were shown his character right from the beginning. He resents House, yet admires him. House pushes him, he pushes back. He is angry about his background, that theme carried through right up until the end of Season 3, before he became nothing more than House's babysitter in Season 4.

I loved all six of the main characters right from the start. I watched for all six of them because they interested me. I enjoyed CCF's interactions with each other, the camaraderie of episodes like "Sports Medicine," and including the times when they aren't so friendly, such as Foreman's "We're not friends" attitude toward Cameron, his article theft, and stabbing her with an infected needle. I loved seeing that friendship put back together with Foreman's apology, Cameron's forgiveness, and Cameron's steadfast refusal to alter Foreman's wishes in giving him the brain biopsy. One of the few scenes I have enjoyed in Season 4 is the end scene from "Whatever it Takes" when Cameron apologizes for interfering with Foreman and the new team and explains that she misses her old job and doing "whatever it takes" to diagnose and cure a patient. I'm hoping that little revelation foreshadows her return to House's department, but I won't hold my breath.

I miss the sibling type squabbling between Chase and Foreman; I'd like to see more of that relationship. The only dynamic I'm not interested in seeing with regard to the old team is Chase and Cameron revisiting the sleep lab. That was the most ridiculous and out-of-character arc I've ever seen.

And Thirteen isn't quite as whiny and annoying as Cameron. Then again no power in the 'verse is more annoying than Cameron, so it doesn't say much.

I don't find Cameron any more whiny and annoying than any other character, but I don't think we'll ever have a problem with Thirteen coming across as whiny. Her flat monotone and 1.5 facial expressions pretty much guarantees that.

Edited on 04/14/2008 6:40am

SlidingKat

[110]Oct 12, 2011
    • level: 5
    I want the old team back. No reason to watch when the only member of the team they kept is Foreskin, the member I liked the least. Off to search the web for news that the old team will be back, because honestly if all we are going to get is a couple 13 episodes the magic is lost for me.