House

Man of the House

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 20, 2012 on FOX

• Man of the House

Not a good medical mystery here tonight, and most of the episode was pretty dull and lifeless. An uneventful "challenge" for the team members to become the new leader, and an annoying, not particularly comedic, storyline involving House and his fake marriage.

A lot of hoopla tonight, but not a lot of fun.
  • AMY GRANT?

Not Great...but certainly not as boring as other reviews seem to claim. The pandering to "the women 25-45 market is again apparent by the two female writers who ALWAYS seem to focus their attention on the "feelings": of women. *(big mistake) instead of delving DEEP and DEEPER into the Psychosis and Manic Depressive that is HOUSE. The show is TITLED HOUSE btw.

The entire sequence with his ex Russian Wife was pretty funny..but the case had many technical errors. TREATING for LYME *(a VERY poor possible diagnosis ) without doing a LYME blood test? ...do the test then treat. But it was a poor and HIGHLY unlikely diagnosis...I KNOW medicine...with all the symptoms presented.. believe me this was NOT LYME...what he actually had was an auto-immune Polyglandular 3 disorder which he could NOT have diagnosed just by vocal changes..he needed to do further testing but the episode was out of time. Not great, Not bad...I give it a 7. Aside---":AMY GRANT" Jokes> ? she was a big deal for happy WOMEN in the late VH- 80's And for no one else ....I got the joke :)
  • Insulting

Being an actual practicing physician, I cannot watch this show. The inaccuracies and illogical leaps made drive me crazy. Last night, however, the TV was on, and I got drawn in. Big mistake. The topic itself led me to guess the writers are female, and sure enough, I confirmed it. What an insulting story line. So a man is better if he is castrated? That is the gist of the plot. Ignore all the potential harmful side effects of low testosterone, or gloss over a few at the end, all in the name of being a more sensitive male. Give me a break. It may not be politically correct, but there are big differences between the sexes, and like it or not, we evolved that way for a reason: both aspects of human behavior are necessary to successfully procreate. Next time, have a plot about a woman who chooses to have her ovaries removed so she can have sex without risk of pregnancy with her mate, and see how far that gets you before you hear the women's groups scream at you. Geez...
  • Irritated by shows conclusion

I'm one of this shows biggest fans. House is one of the 3 shows I actually truly like. This episode however appears to be the beginning of the end though (hope not) and here's why:

1) The result of the patient's decision is that having dangerously less testosterone, makes him a better person specifically for his wife and career (even though he admited testosterone makes him feel like himself, clear and great). This sounds like the message for this episode is that men are better off without testosterone. As if Testosterone is the cause for most or all men's problems. If "testosterone" is the problem, then why not solve all of the male characters of House's problems by removing most of all of their Testosterone. That would solve Gregory House's problems appearently. I find all of that to be very illogical.

2) There was no Gregory House to have a smart argument with the patient about the issue at the end. It simply ended with the patient throwing away his manhood. That seems very weak and non-House to me, and actually pretty disappointing. I was hoping for an end conclusive argument to be something that points out that testosterone can be both good and bad as well as estrogen in women, and that you need to be a mature grown up to find the balance and be the best version of yourself. But instead the message was, Testosterone = bad so throw it away. That's both illogical and actually sort of misandrist.

Is the show "House" loosing it's touch? This is the show I go to for deep and smart debates about the finding the truth, exploring many sides to a problem, yet this episode seemed very onesided and with no real thought provoking conclusion.

Again, if the show really is insinuating that Testosterone is the male problem and that men would be better off without it, then that basically solves all Gregory House's problems, which makes his character no longer interesting because of how simple the solution for him would be, and makes everything that has happened to this point, kind of meaningless.

Anyway, thats my feeling on it. Just my opinion.

• Fairly typical episode

Pretty typical episode, in and of itself. The patient storyline was interesting, but unremarkable for House. The "2nd-in-command" subplot was entertaining, but unremarkable for House. The "green card" subplot was interesting, but unremarkable for House. All in all, it was a pretty average episode.

I'm really writing this to respond to everybody else's reviews. Guys (and I'm fairly certain that at least most of you are guys), don't you think you're overreacting a little? When you look at it logically, what exactly happened? *spoiler* A patient, who was making a really decent living in a career that was directly linked to having low testosterone levels, and whose marriage immediately started to suffer after having testosterone, made a choice to prioritize his career and his marriage over the possibility of health issues down the line.

Was he wrong to think that having higher testosterone would jeopardize his career and/or his marriage? I'm inclined to think he'd know the answer to that better than anybody else.

Was he wrong to prioritize his career and/or his marriage over his health? Well, that's a judgement call, largely dependent on your own priorities.

Was it strange/poorly written that somebody might prioritize his career and/or his marriage over his health? No. Not at all. People do that all the time.
USA