House

Massage Therapy

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Oct 11, 2010 on FOX

• Uneasy mix of strong drama and a sitcom premise.

I'm a huge fan of HOUSE and have supported its plot tangents and questionable story arcs from the beginning. I liked the Tritter episodes, the rehab stint (aside from when he got onstage to sing rap), Thirteen (who seems to get inexplicably severe criticism on this site)... If the show didn't open up to new ideas and allow the characters, including House, to grow, it would've gotten boring. And while I didn't care for the first episode of Season 7 that much, I figured it was a necessary exploration. However. This epsiode reduced House and Wilson to one-dimensional sitcom characters put in a position that was both ridiculous and unbelievable. The medical portions of the show were up to par, but I hated seeing House and Wilson reduced to doing a third-rate Lucy and Ethel impression. Especially when you go back to an earlier episode which briefly featured a child swallowing a coin (or something metal) and House placed a magnet on the kid's abdomen to prove it was no big deal and on its way out. That was more in keeping with the reality of his character. I'll admit the final gag was funny, but I hope this episode was just an aberration. I expect the House/Cuddy relationship to end by the end of this season, so maybe this was just a lighthearted romp to set up the downward emotional spiral.
OXYGN