House

Nobody's Fault

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 06, 2012 on FOX

• The more I think about it....

The more I think about this, the more convinced I get that this is a bad episode.

Firstly the tone, episodes where House goes all "naturalistic" are generally poor episodes. They don't suit the format of the show. In this episode especially where you have Jeffrey Wright (who is good) talks in this low gruff voice which is best suited for some kind of conspiracy thriller.

My biggest problem with this episode is why now? why put House's method effectively on trial now? What purpose does it serve? This episode should have turned up at the end of season 3, when Foreman killed that patient. Not now. And then to exaggerate the problem, the episode chickens out with its end. Hell even the writers knew that by making House tell Wright's character he was a coward. The ending of the investigation rendered the whole episode pointless.

The other bug bear I had was the very end. Even though House wasn't at fault, I can sort of understand why he apologised. Chase not accepting is just dumb, and it revisits the start of season 5 (which I might add was an exceptionally bad season, not only just in relation to House, but compared to other TV shows in general) I do think Greg Yaitanes has a lot to answer for, not just in relation to this episode but for the decline of House. The show took a nose dive when he became Exec. Producer.
  • keep in mind ...

Among the people who have watched every single episode of House, and some of them several times, I think I was one of the few who didn't know anything about this episode before watching it. The opening shots made it clear that some violent scene would happen, but I had no idea that one of the ducklings would get hurt.

The whole sequence starting with the struggle down to the OR was excellent. It was intense and credible - in one word - amazing.

I got lucky - I am certain that I would have been much less impressed if I had read the "one of the ducklings will get injured" info before watching it.

Of course the episode has the usual "been-there-done-that" problems, but it deserves a '10' for the atmoshere alone.
  • Another solid episode

Another solid episode, which is more than welcome with the news that this season will be Houses last. (Thankfully in my opinion, its going out before its forced out)

I enjoyed the premise of the case review, and everyones perspective of the situation.

I thought the lack of Wilson was a real step in the right direction. I love him in House, but all they use him for now is the tedious moral exchanges with House, which really do not add anything to the show.

Chase came into his own this week, which just shows what Jesse Spencer can do if you give him some material to work with. (interested to see this weeks episodes, which seems to be Chase-centric)

Thought the ending was really strong, you always knew House was going to get off scot free, but for him to reject it on the grounds that he was right wether the patient had survived or not was interesting. And for once, Just for once- they let House show some regret/emotion/humanity. So my fear that House will never progress as a character before the show ends may be unfounded. Fingers crossed!

All in all, a good week for House. Hope the season goes out with more like this.
  • Boring Episode? Seriously?

The reason I enjoy House is not because of the "Fun" aspect. If I was looking for a comedic concept for a show, I would watch Comedy Central. I watch House for the emotion filled episodes, not to smile every time I watch an episode. I enjoy watching House to hear music that brightens my soul and makes my hair stand, not to mention the intelligent information spewed out that the show provides. The intellect the show provides alone should be the reason House is one of best shows ever made. House inspires the personality in each of us, unless we fall to only focusing on a show for one concern only.
  • boring epidose... sorry! episode.

House is getting old.... the kind of trial on this episode just shows little imagination and less and less fun every week. Nothing fun happens!
  • Something happens on House, and Jeffrey Wright is here to help us through it.

I hoped we'd get a Chase-centric episode soon, this week we get, "Nobody's Fault," an event episode that kinda sorta hinges on everybody's favorite dictator murdering Australian. Not that you'd know it at the start. "Nobody's Fault" hits us with a series of big ticket gimmicks in the first twenty minutes, starting with a teaser opening full of shots of a patient's room where some bad stuff went down; then introducing us to the investigator, Dr. Walter Cofield, who will be interrogating various members of the cast to try and establish just why the stuff went down the way it did. So we've got a violent event, a big guest star, and a Ras***n-style structure, on a show which routinely busts out the distractions when it wants us to ignore the hollow heart at its center. With all this going on, it's easy to miss the fact that Cofield questions House, Park, Adams, Taub, Foremanbut not Chase. In an episode full of melodrama and sarcasm, it's a nicely subtle bit of misdirection; first you're wondering about that patient, a poor chemistry teacher who collapses while jogging. Then suddenly, you're wondering what happened to Chase.

Despite the splashy ads, and the presence of Wright, "Nobody's Fault" never feels all that shocking or dangerous. We've tread on this ground before. Chase gets critically injured attempting treatment of a new patient, and House and his team are called on the carpet to determine if House's behavior was in any way responsible for the stabbing. Since a verdict of fault would result in House getting sent back to prison, we can be reasonably certain there's no way in Hell that's going to happen. The tension then comes from watching the show try and balance House's abrasive attitude and general misanthropy against the need to find some way to keep him on staff. But, again, because all of this is old newsHouse's casual racism, the prank war against Chase, his willingness to push experimental treatments if he thinks they could be useful, his supposed callousness about human lifethere's not a lot of tension to be found. Jeffrey Wright is a terrific actor, and, like Andre Braugher, manages to bring some dynamism to a character who is, given the needs of the series, basically superfluous. It's just that nothing Cofield decides here is going to have much impact, and watching yet another person be shocked at House's behavior is predictable to the point of tedium. We know he's an ass, and learning that strangers also think he's an ass doesn't change our understanding of the character, or the world he lives in, in any way.

What's really odd is that the episode's biggest dramatic twist, Chase's chest wound and subsequent temporary paralysis, fees about as familiar as Cofield's shock, even though, as far as I can remember, Chase hasn't ever been stabbed before. Occasionally doctors on House get injured or sick, and it's never really been a plotline that's yielded great returns. Here, it's such a blatant plea for the audience's horror and sympathy that it's almost embarrassing. Jesse Spencer does what he can, looking suitably distraught and strained, but instead of being concerned for the fate of a regular character, I found myself annoyed at how thoroughly the episode's structure overplayed its hand. The actual stabbing was a decent shock, but everything afterwards felt diminished by the fact that we'd spent an entire episode waiting for this to happen. A more traditional patient-of-the-week structure might have helped to insulate the sequence; if we weren't expecting something incredibly important, maybe all of this would've seemed actually important. As it is, I was kinda sad that nobody exploded.

Were there good points? Sure, it was watchable, and as mentioned, Wright was very strong. I especially liked the way the episode ended, as for once, House was faced with the possibility of getting off the hook completely and refused to accept it. He figured out what was wrong with the initial patient of the week during one of his interviews with Cofield, and managed to get that information to the patient's less than amused wife just in time, and of course he's right, and of course that patient's wife busts in during the sentencing phase of the hearing, to tell everyone that House, though a bastard, gets results. Cofield caves, and the status quo returns, except House actually calls him on caving. On the surface, it's self-destructive behavior, because he risks upsetting a man who could easily send him back to prison, but below that, it's actually a somewhat promising development, especially considering what happens next: he goes and apologizes to Chase.

It's a small moment, and the show has given House these minor acts of grace before, but it's a better ending than simply leaving things at "Well, you're crazy, but you get results," so credit where it's due. I'm not sure how much time the show will invest in Chase's rehabilitation, but I'm hoping it won't be too long, as watching a guy learn how to walk again isn't really all that fun. The major fault of "Nobody's Fault" isn't the story, but the way the strained attempts at intensity keep drawing attention to the show's inherent flaws. House is not in real danger, because House doesn't exist world of real consequences, and the series has become so much about its leading man that it's secondary characters generally feel like cardboard cutouts, attractive in their way but rarely all that worth of our passion. House works best now when it keeps stakes low, acknowledges its foolishness, and just goes about having some fun and letting us enjoy Hugh Laurie. The big drama is gone; best to go out with some dignity.
  • This was a solid episode..

No less than the top 3 producers of the series penned this. Who is to "Blame" for the unconventional antics..well written, well researched, with a GREAT ending. House goes above and beyond Everyboy Lies and seeks TRUTH beyond Blame..which is the HIGHER value of Life...and he walks away a proud man. he has now forced a wedge between himself and Chase who *from scenes to next week) seems to be holding a grudge against House...(all he did was get Chase to dye his hair bright red, have a patient stick him in the heart with a scalpel, blame him, and then leave the OR leaving Chase with a LITTLE numbnesss in his feet...Get over it Chase..you know you LOVE House lol. This was a VERY good episode..but let's not be fooled..this and 20 Vicodin are the only true Highlights to this season.
USA