House

Occam's Razor

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Nov 30, 2004 on FOX

• Guess they're trying to get into the routine.

Occam's Razor, the law of economy. Nice choice of name. I'm sure there've been explanations already, but basically it means that you should generally choose the hypothesis that seems simplest and that covers all info.

This is a pretty simple episode overall, so I'll make the review simple too. This episode was good, but too routine, which is pretty much my only problem with the show. Other than that small criticism, I'd say that it had some great clinic duty scenes, the case was sort of interesting, but not enthralling and that Laurie was brilliant, as always.

House talking to the clinic patients at the start was just hilarious. Yup, this one was pretty good.
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the show house . a couple is having sex in a college dorm except the boy friend collpies on top of her .and he is brought in house must figure whats wrong with him and as they get closer to something his syptoms continue to derterate this was a good one and house and the team must work togeather. this was a good ep it had some really funny moments and things you would not really see a doctor do. this was a good ep an that is why i gave the show a 8.5 instead of anyting lower
  • Well a better episoide then the other two, we actually got to see how House's team actually get on with each other.

6.8
    i have got to admit that, this episoide was a lot better then i expected it to be, which was a plesant surprise. i also liked the fact that for first time House actually doing research into it because he didn't know, in the last 2 episoide he guessed the right answer but this case he couldn't. For once we was wrong and he couldn't believe it. Still one thing you got like about this guy he is through, even though the boy will be ok, he actually went futher to find tablets confusion. i got to admit i got more respect for him now then i had before. mainly because it showed he can't be right all the time.

The girlfriend, i was kinda of surpirsed she actually stuck around until the guy annoced they will be engaged, at the begaining i thought she was normal girlfriend. Still the parents, got to like house lines in this part ' which one give the cough medicine on wedensday' ' come-on, no-one will be in trouble'. i also like his response parents about the fact he rather make their son better instead of holding his hand.

Chase, am i seeing some-sort chemistry between him and female doctor, it's clear they can be more then friends even though she said no for coffee, i thought it was funny how she explain sex through medical terms and the body process, that was really amusing. i glad there was some chacter development in this episoide. i hope it contiues in the future episoides.

How do you get MP-3 player in that position that you can't sit down?, seriously only way i can see is that he accidental sat on it?, it nice to see House can be professional about it.
  • After watching this episode, I'll definitely be coming back for more...

The first episode I watched and I was definitely hooked- I thought it was so clever, and the twists and turns were very dramatic. But more than just a good plot, it had intriguing characters, and I loved House\'s interaction with the junior staff and his curious method of \'motivating\' them!
  • "Hello sick people... " Yes, House is at it again and with one of his most memorable House-isms.

The episode with the parental warning and all the rough sex at the beginning. Well, at least the girl seemed to enjoy herself even if the boy did pass out. But he's sick, you know, or he wouldn't have turned up later on at Princeton Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. He'll be cured in due course thanks to Dr. House but not before we're treated to one of the best House-isms of the entire series:

"Hello, sick people and their loved ones! In the interest of saving time and avoiding a lot of boring chitchat later, I'm Doctor Gregory House; you can call me 'Greg.'"
    ...
    "I am also the only doctor currently employed at this hospital who is forced to be here against his will."
    ...
    "But not to worry, because for most of you, this job could be done by a monkey with a bottle of Motrin. Speaking of which, if you're particularly annoying, you may see me reach for this: this is Vicodin. It's mine! You can't have any! And no, I do not have a pain management problem, I have a pain problem... but who knows? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm too stoned to tell. So, who wants me?"

Well worth watching for that scene alone.
  • A great episode

I loved this episode, it was great with many funny moments. My favorite was House's classic "hello sick people" speech. I also liked how he kept calling Cuddy in for a consult when he DEFINITELY didn't need one, and of course, the sex talk. That was hilarious. I can definitely see something happening with Chase and Cameron, especially when Foreman was talking to chase about Cameron. I really liked this episode, another great installment to a great series!
  • Kevin Zegers has sex, but not much else.

For his guest appearnace in "House", Kevin Zegers had shed much of the extra weight he put on for his star role in "The Incredible Mrs Ritchie," (his weight had gone up from a normal 145 lbs to a very muscular 160 lbs).

You can tell he's trying to break out of his "Air Bud" image. After years of family films, he now gets his first explicit sex scene (I'm not including the passionate kissing scene he did with Lolita Davidovich in 1999's "Four Days").

But aside from the opening sex scene, Zegers is basically seen and not heard. Not only didn't Zegers have much dialogue, he also didn't have much acting to do: he sat in a bed, turned around for a biopsy, and stood up nude (was he really?) for decontamination; that's it.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I heard the sex scene was edited down for the episode repeat (but featured complete on the DVD).

The decontamination scene seemed strange to me - why is the hospital technician standing in the chamber with the patient? Don't procedures like these usually have the test conductor standing in an isolated area or behind a screen?
  • Cool, at this point the series was coming along amazingly!

Another excellent episode without a doubt. I was honestly a little bit shocked at the beginning scene because it was totally different than the starts of the others thus far. After watching all of season one on DVD, id expect House to prove everyone wrong when he said they gave him the wrong medicine and that would be the causes of everything. But i was wrong as well.

The way all of the symptoms couldnt match with each other on the white board was pretty interesting. I was starting to think that they could not solve the problem, but they did just in time!

Medical Problem: Colchicine Poisoning
    Rating: 9.5/10
  • So not only does everyone lie but everyone also screws up.

Yeah this was one of the best! Cameron asking what kind of sex could kill you and her speech to Chase about how sex could actually kill you, House's little speech to the clinic and someone in the pharmacy screwed up all made this a very interestingly hilarious episode.

I loved House's rant to the people in the waiting area of the clinic it was so so funny I couldn't stop laughing! Cameron's little speech to Chase about how sex could kill you was very intense and Chase's reaction was good too.

I also loved how the team thought that one was simpler than two and House went to say that if (I think he said Foreman) told you that two people exchanged fluids and created a baby and he said that a stork dropped the little tike off in a diaper which was simpler?

In the end they found out that the guy had gotten the wrong meds for his cough but yeah totally awesome episode everyone should see this one!
  • Wonderful!!

I loved this episode! It was wonderful and House was hilarius during it (I know that he funny in all of them but it seemed extremly funny this one) It really was good, The mother of the patient was really funny when House pulled out his hair in the clean room, the face she made, I mean come on they dont get any better than that! I thought what went on with Cameron and Chase was entertaining, I mean you could tell Chase really liked her, I sorta wish when he asked her out she accepted I want them together!!!
  • This is a great episode!

This is a great and suspenseful episode, all in all, but when I saw it on the DVD of the First Season, I was disappointed in the fact that they included a sexual situation in there. Of course, it shows the patient showing the first serious symptoms, but the show has more character than that, they didn\'t need to do that. This is one of the best of the earliest episodes, hands down! I\'m just to blab here to meet the word quota. This word quota thing is so stupid, people can write a good review without having at least a hundred words.

tvmaniac213
  • Review

I think the episodes of this show just keep on getting better and better. This episode marks the third straight time that I thought House and Cuddy had one of the best on screen connections of any male and female on a television series. At some points I think they might hook up, but I really like them just they way they are now - it gives someone that House isnt always able to one up, which brings a nice spice to the show I think. I thought the case in this episode was both interesting and one that I could sort of follow not knowing anything about medicine at all. Overall I thought think this is one of the episodes that will go down as a series classic.
  • Excellent!

As the third episode in the entire series, this was very good. And i'm sure many people came back for more after seeing this episode.

PROS:
    1) It was a good case! Very interesting.
    2) It was really funny too, it had a lot of good jokes in there.
    3) I loved the clinic sketch in this episode! I especially loved it when he gave a little speech to scare off all of the patients so he wouldn't have to take them. I really enjoyed that!

CONS:
    1) I was dissapointed in the opening seqeunce. I'm sure they could've done something different.

Overall, i really liked this episode! Bravo!
  • A nineteen year old collapses during sex.

This episode is fun to watch...A nineteen year old collapses during sex...Perfect case for House!
    The kid had had a cough and by mistake had been given gout medicine which cause all his other symptoms....I guess that this diagnosis is simple but it was a long way till the end!
    The other patients were fun too:
    1) A woman being fired who is trying to get the most out of her health insurance before she loses her job. 2) House keeps calling Cuddy in for a consult on simple clinic cases, including a kid who has swallowed an MP3 player. I thinbk that everyone remembers House's speech from this ep..:)
  • Kid’s having health complication due to sex, a parent dream!

This is a good episode; we get tension between characters due to the sex remarks from Cameron explained as always by House and proven by Chase, we have a very sick boy with a stubborn girlfriend that is always in the middle. We get this great monologue from Cameron about how dangerous sex is that has Chase grasping for air (or something else, who knows this things?), the characters are now developing more and we see more of Cuddy especially when she tells House: it's not going to work. You know why? Because this is fun. You think of something to make me miserable, I think of something to make you miserable. It's a game, and I'm going to win. Because I got a headstart - you're already miserable. And with Wilson when he explains why he wants Foreman to feel miserable, is a must-see.
  • An usual House episode.

Seems like almost every episodes are the same. The first, the second and finally the third one. It's strange but they are very similar. But all in all, this episode is great. The sex scene was very... hm... wild and revolving. House made me laugh again so hard! House: Her leg hurts after running six miles. Who knows, it could be anything! Lol! It was very funny when he said to the parents that he doesn't give a crap about their son. He's crazy... And the mp3 stuck in the guys ass! Lol! I wounder who comes up with those things! :)
  • Not sure what to think.

This is the 3rd episode of House that I have watched and I am not sure what to think of it. A college kid has sex with his girlfriend and then collapses. His condition deteriorates in the hospital and the team must figure out what is wrong. Meanwhile House and Cuddy are still butting heads about House working in the clinic. The team finally decides that boy is sick because of something he ingested that is used to cut ecstasy only to find out that he really got sick from the pharmacist giving him the wrong medicine. I really really like House but all of the medical terms are wearing me down a bit. There has not been hardly any character development so far in 3 episodes. I am going to watch some more episodes but I am still unsure what to make of this show.
  • Best episode by far!

I felt like I had to review this episode because it is just so jaw dropping & suspenseful, at first it seemed like a very comical episode starting with the sex that made a freaking earthquake! Which was hilarious. Another funny moment in the beginning is when Cameron & Chase talk about sexual encounters, hilarious! The most suspenseful is when they couldn't find anything wrong with him, I thought this guy was dead for sure. My favorite part is when they are at the drug store getting proved wrong about the pills & at the end House was right! Best episode ever!
  • Vuola!!

Esto es así de simple:

1.Comenzamos mostrando a una persona normal haciendo su vida normal hasta que misteriosamente cae redondo en el piso preso de un repentino patapufete.
    2.Algien le concede el caso a Dr. House quien inmediatamente hará alarde de su falta de ganas de ver al paciente y demostrando cuán poco le interesa éste.
    3.Nadie entiende el caso y se trata al paciente con un diagnóstico equivocado.
    4.Oh! que problema!
    5.House, luego de tratar desganado a muchos pacientes y de enojarse con la directora del hospital, mágicamente encuentra la solución.

Igual, aclaro, esta serie es muy divertida y me da la razón en algo que siempre sostuve: en la mayoría de los casos visitar a un médico es absolutamente innecesario.
  • The simplest answer is that somebody almost always screws up....

This episode was another fantastic, classic episode of House. We see brief moments of the House and Cuddy dynamics (later known, of course, as "Huddy" moments). The interactions between House and Wilson were as funny as the last episodes, especially when Wilson sells the case to House at the beginning.

We also see some good character development between Chase and Cameron, seen in the "sex could kill you£ dialogue, which is one of the most fantastic bits of writing this show has. That and the "but who knows...maybe I am just too stoned to tell!" shows just how well the series kicked off.

The case wasn't quite as interesting as the previous episode, but still just as good. The interactions between the cast members were quite significantly better than that of the new teams, and Foreman, Chase and Cameron make a very good team.

The clinic scenes were exceptionally fun, and although we have not gained much insight into House's character as of yet, the episode as a whole was brilliant.
  • Dr. James Wilson: That smugness of yours really is an attractive quality. Dr. Gregory House: Thank you. It was either that or get my hair highlighted. Smugness is easier to maintain.

Am I the only one who had to look up with Occam's Razor actually meant? You know what it is? "Sometimes, the simplest answer is the best answer." That pretty much sums up this entire episode, really.

It's about a college kid who, while fornicating, passes out because of low blood pressure. I especially enjoyed the story line between the boy and his girlfriend and the parents, a little triangle of drama.

Also this one is chock-full of "Clinic Duty", my favorite one is where House calls 'someone' in for a consult for a woman whose leg hurts after running 6 miles. Another great one is the guy with an MP3 player shoved up his...ahem.

Excellent episode, and I especially enjoy the "One is the Loneliest Number" by Three Dog Night playing during the closing scenes, fits beautifully.
USA