House

The Jerk

Aired Monday 9:00 PM May 15, 2007 on FOX

• House meets his jerk-like match...

I loved this episode, and how jerky that kid was! The patient was just plain evil, like Chase said. I loved House winding him up however- he is definately wittier!

Chase standing up and threatening him was hilarious, and a nice glimpse into his personality, whilst the case itself was actually very interesting.

Whilst the clinic patient wasn't the funniest, it was funny seeing people try and find out who sabotaged Foreman's job interview. I loved Wilson being outplayed by Cameron, whilst the group chasing shaddows.

Overall, I thought the episode was one of the best ones of the Season. Season 3 has had fanatastic writing and acting, and this episode shows it here. Another brilliant episode.
  • The season has almost come to an end.

Well this episode was very good with the arc, Everyone wanting Foreman to stay and what not, Cuddy even offered him to have his own team and a bigger raise, for no apparent reason. Anyways the patient and House bickering is just hilarious to me, I think that would be probably House when he he was younger, the mom was a b***! And I like how it came to blaming people on wrecking Foreman's interview, it turns out it is House the whole time, kind of a big plot twist, House is a jerk. That was pretty messes up, anyways great episode!
  • The episode had everything I could ever want!

So, this show starts out with the teaser (as they all do) which was phenomenal to say the least. Absolutely astounding and breathtaking at minimum. The quality of acting was so far beyond par that I personally couldn't imagine anyone else doing a better job ever in the existence of man. "The Jerk" who keeps Dr. House on edge for the entire show (which is pretty tough) and the Chess player that he punched out at the beginning might be the best looking person I've ever seen with my own eyes...

I think you should go to fox.com and request that they play that episode every week. I would never get bored of it.

Ever.
  • House's Love Child?

SPOILER ALERT: Do Not Read Beyond This Point If You Have Not Seen the Episode.

The penultimate episode of Season Three. Foreman is getting ready to leave. Wilson and Cuddy made only short appearances.

The Jerk is not about House. It is about an obnoxious teenage chess prodigy. There are headaches, rages, and all sorts of different symptoms. No one wanted to deal with this kid, who reminded me of someone else. It made me wonder who the father was. Hmmm.

As per the formula of this show, there are many miscues before House comes up with the non-fatal diagnosis. At the very end, we all understand why Foreman is leaving Princeton Plainsboro.

The funniest part for me was the final diagnosis. Hemochromatosis has afflicted my mother and several of her siblings. Being a woman, it did not affect my mom too much. Having such iron rich blood made her a HUGE favorite at the blood bank.

Last but not least was clinic duty. It is always comic relief at its best. Too short in my opinion.

Do not miss the bonus material on the DVD. It does the background for this episode.
  • Great episode. My favorite of Season 3!

House and his team try to find out whats wrong with a 16 year old chess player, who is also extremely mean. Meanwhile, Forman's interview is called off. He blames House, who blames Cuddy, who blames Wilson. Wilson blames Cameron and Cameron then blames Chase. Chase confronts House and learns House actually did do it. House tries to stress the kid out by playing chess. It doesnt work 'cause the kid puts him into a position and House thinks he'll lose. They figure out whats wrong with him. House tells Nate how he would have one the game and Nate said he was bluffing.
  • Season 3 Episode 23

7.8
    I liked House and Cuddy's interaction, which was greater than usual and the medical case, which was quite original. The chess prodigy was definitely unbearable but he was also fun to watch. He was like a "teen" House. (LOL) I felt bad for the boy's mother, though.

Foreman accuses House of sabotaging his job interview. And the blaming game starts: everyone blames everyone else for this. Well, that's enough already: in my opinion Foreman's plot is getting old. Leave or stay but let's have a new storyline.

Chase didn't say to Cameron "It's tuesday!". Well, that's totally a big step. :D
  • Everone lies and it comes out that there can be worser personalities than House

One question remains - who did it: who canceled Foreman's interview? It was really like hunting ghost and even when my first think after the House said he didn't, was Chase (usually the most unusual people are the main suspects :P) but I am not sure. Maybe we will never find it out, maybe we will.

The tension between the team was great in this epsiode - in that way, it was really great and joyful to follow but the case - avarage and as good as House cases are. Maybe the levels set earlier in the season was so good, that the ending what is good, feels just like avarage.

Anyway, this is a great episode to see
    i ii i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a
  • If it was a play,it could be called "Chasing Ghosts or Everybody Lies"...

It wasn’t that bad, House's being almost normal and no romance are good enough ,if nothing else…It’s just not breathtaking, I can’t-wait-to-see-next, anymore. Maybe it’s just me,I don’t know. But ,no, I still enjoy very much the old eps and I’ve seen them at least 10 times , not all of them but many…

House being “calm”(is he still on antidepressants?no, they made him hazy and dumb-smiley..) and concentrating mostly on the medical stuff was pleasant to watch. Of coarse, he’s o-so evil, he made them all played “chasing ghosts” game ,but that was for the case sake after all, not like when he interrogated Wilson’s ex-wife, wile Foreman was busy killing the patient. Foreman…if he will stay among the Duclings after Cuddy’s (insane IMO) offer and arrogant “I can’t work here”, it wouldn’t make any sense. What for we were annoyed for the whole 4 episodes? In order for House to bail and confirm , oh eyes, Foreman is irreplaceable? That’s lame. He isn't...
    The guy who played “the jerk” ,I think was, very good. He was a jerk, certainly, but as House said “it’s really thin line between tortured genius and an awkward kid, who can’t get girls because he’s creepy” and he managed to stay very close to this line and, yet ,never crossed it.
    The opposite was his “mother”. I have a distinctive feeling the actress spent her carrier in soaps and not the best ones, so fake were her “emotions”. It’s a shame, House was exceptional for casting secondary characters before…
    At last we got decent clinic case. I doubt it would join “the best of clinic” ,but still it was tricky enough to give House a chance to show his deduction skills and even fanny in a way.
    I have mixed feelings for “Chasing ghosts a.k.a House –liker or Foreman’s enemy “ story. On one hand where was almost Agate Christie like quality in the plot, but on the other ,I think, where was something unnatural for these characters playing in “everybody’s detectives looking for a bad guy". And though I had no doubt it was House ,many people didn’t get that. Maybe it suppose to be so…I don’t know…
    It was sad for me to see Wilson “not crossing the paths” with House again (“Fetal Position”).What can I do, I just loved things the way they were before, even if it wasn’t “complicated” enough. I am that simple… Chase is definitely “the Ducling of the season”. He didn’t solve this case (thank God, I really want House to be who he was –the one and only…) but he was the one who put the kid in his place and who “advocated” for Foreman (he shouldn’t, really, the guy said in his face “ I never liked you and I never will” after tree years of working together and was amazed afterwards ,why Chase wasn’t willing to give him a “peer recommendation”. Maybe House was right about “neurological problems”…).
    Those two scenes- House chess-stressing the kid and Chase giving House the office ethic lecture and the hint for the right diagnosis highlighted the episode, IMO.I so missed Hugh Lorie-like House - smart, witty, irresistible.
  • i think my complaines will cover the fact tht i love the serie

loved the begining , the middle, the end.
    i propably loved the whole episode ...don t get me wrong
    but when i heared that in this episode there would be a jerk bigger or at least as evil as house i was thrilled!! i mean at last house will get a taste of his own poisson there would be arguments sarcastic enough to make as laugh untill we re out of air... but i didn t see any of that... i deffinetly laughed, i mean the guy was a jackass only the fact of two jerks in the show was satisfying . but where is house in the whole case is like the jerk is only one!! when house is there the teenager is not and the opposite. i was expecting comflicts and jerkish arguments..
    ah, what the hell at least house is still his smartass, adorable, sarcastic self. thats good isn t it?
    and i don t want to be mean but if you are going to get foreman out of the hospital or the serie DO IT don t waste our time we need a more thrilling season end...
    and it better be another season... fans demand it what can i do???
  • House does not have a heart of gold. If you remember nothing about the plot, remember that.

House does not have a heart of gold. People try to pretend he does. They disregard all the bad things he does for the one or two good things he does, and in the process disregarding his MOTIVES for doing the bad things. Like when he appologized to Wilson in one of the Tritter episodes. He wasn't being nice - House was making people think he had changed so he didn't have to change. That's how House is. He doesn't have a heart of gold, so why would he appologize to Foreman? I don't think House likes Foreman qua Foreman, but qua good doctor, and any good doctor will do. I'm glad this episode didn't go all soft on us an create a heart of gold ex nihilo for House to suddenly have. He just doesn't have it. Great episode.
  • The Jerk is truly a great episode of House.

House only gets better and better with each episode and this theory was proved through 'The Jerk'. House has to treat a 16 year old patient who is truly a jerk. He makes sarcastic comments, puts people down, and even makes racist remarks. Drs. Chase, Cameron, and Foreman have pretty much had it with this kid and it is up to House to get to know him better. Meanwhile, Foreman accuses House of tampering with his job interview with another hospital. House tells Foreman that he didn't do it and then the blaming game begins. House blames Cuddy, who blames Wilson, who blames Cameron, who blmaes Chase. In the end, House ends up treating the kid, only to tell his mother (who is begging that they treat the kid for his jerk like behavior) that his attitude is not a symptom of any disease. He is simply a jerk. If you want to really get a good picture of what House is about, this is one of the episodes to watch.
  • Interesting to watch but I wish I could see the season finale coming. Nothing but Foreman leaving indicates so.

"The Jerk" was one of the episode that I supposed would be better than it actually turned out to be. By the preview and the note about the chess prodigy you could say that the boy would be so much more than just a rude and arogant teenager. By the way for most of the episode I assumed that his rudeness and behavior have something to do with the disease but I guess most of the staff did the same ;)
    I liked much Cuddy and Wilson, this time they didn't get much time on screen but they did great. Loved the tension between House and Cuddy as he said he was looking for a tell. I wish the writers continued this storyline. Still hope to hear more of it in the finale. One more episode to go, I think they should put a better episode as the last but one but it's just me.
  • This episode is exactly why I watched House. Hard-to-find diagnosis and the great comedic dialogue to go along with it. This time delivered by House & "The Jerk".

In this episode, a good chess player who's a teenager and also "The Jerk" goes into a rage after a chess game and takes the chess clock and hits the opposing player over the head repeatedly and then starts screaming for help himself but of the pain in his head. In the episode the kid exhibits somewhat of the same type of wit that House uses maybe just on a little bit of harsher scale, which just made the show that much more funny. There were some grotesque scenes in this episode such as the little unruly behavior of not wanting a urine sample taken and simply peeing on the floor and he eventually started peeing blood on the floor. That was like whoa!! The foreman plot for me was old and tired before it started and therefore I don't have much to say about it. I just recently started watching House a few weeks ago so maybe some others are fans of only Foreman but I'm not particularly interested in his story or really get the reason he's leaving is because he doesn't want to be like House. Anyway, this was a classic example of this show and is exactly why I watched this show.
  • If it was a play,it could be called "Chasing Ghosts or Everybody Lies"...

• More of the same!

Was I the only one underwhelmed by this episode. I called last weeks boring, this one was just sad. I hated the POTW, I would have totally cold cocked the kid, I have zero patience for someone who needs an attitude adjustment as much as that kid, and for his mother, who waffled between condoning his behaviour and saying it was her fault and getting offended when someone called him on his behaviour. Get off your high horse lady and act like a parent, not a doormat.

I laugh at the charactiture that Cuddy has become. I vaguely recall in the Pilot that she had a set of b*lls, and called House on his crap and acted like his boss. Long gone are those days, now she's just a joke. It's a fine line between being a boss and being a friend, unfortunately you can't be both because you lose any authority you have over said subordinate.(If you ever had any at all.) Don't even get me started on her clothes, harkens back to the Catherine drama on CSI. Neither can dress professionally.

The one thing I had to laugh at was the writers making fun of Grey's Anatomy. 'Dr. McCaney'....might have been the only time I cracked a smile the whole hour.

At the end, I was left scratching my head, trying to figure out what the hell had just happened. It was a very odd way to leave off.

Wilson and Cameron scene was okay, I did like him saying that 3 years ago she never would have called him on his bs. That is definitely his way of saying how much she grown and changed in that time, then of course there was the merry-go-round of you love House, no I don't....denial being the river in Egypt. But I wish the writers would stop saying the Cameron is in love with House, and maybe have some follow through on that statement. One kiss 8 episodes ago and barely a conversation since...I'm not feeling the love much lately.
  • Finally, a episode that made me laugh like a mad man.

After watching House week after week, it all just starts to be the same. Finally, a few episodes ago someone died on their watch, mixing things up a bit. The whole Foreman leaving thing doesn't effect me to much, seeing as how he wouldn't be the first to do so. [More repeating, right?]Even though it was the same routine; sick person,wrong diagnosis, House calling people idiots, OMG RANDOM THINGS!, House seeing something that gives him the answer, rinse lather and repeat...Back to my first point...

Even though it was the same, the humor level was raised. A kid that even irritates House? That's just humor right there. To add on, he was mellow yellow, I mean a little pervert. Flashing his peeper and Cameron? Oh man, that was funny.

All the episode needed was the whole Wilson on speed thing, instead of the previous episode, to just make this the best episode ever.

Through all the laughter I lost track of what was wrong with the kid, but I don't see that as a bad thing.

So, all in all, a episode I will always remember.
  • Still dealing with Foreman's resignation.

This episode dealt with an obnoxious kid and once again with Foreman leaving. First of all, the patient (was his name Nate?) was a bit too stereotypic. I'm sure the writers could have come up with even more annoying things for him to say or do. He was a typical jerk who wasn't even that interesting. Nate's mother was unbelievably predictable. Everything she said was something we've heard in every single medical show. Foreman was.. Foreman. He was boring. Cuddy and Wilson had quite minor roles. I liked the Wilson/Cameron interaction. Cameron was great in this episode in my opinion. She was confident but not annoying or whiny and she had good lines. But don't even get me started with Chase... That creep just doesn't know when to stop. House was acting typically. This review is short because there really isn't much to say about this episode. It was pleasant, but not surprising in any way. This felt like a filler episode. I'm anxiously waiting for the next one, the season finale.
  • House meets someone who is a bigger jerk than he is SPOILERS

Story first: a chess whizz is admitted and House's entire team hates him

The name of this episode is "The Jerk" and the name certainly keeps you guessing who it's referring to. It could be House or the patient and for some period of time it could be Chase.

It is a brilliant episode for learning about characters and how they've grown since the first episode.

The medical stuff is a bit odd but it's nothing too major. House shows yet another skill and the patient even gets to him this time.

The ending is very cryptic as House sets Foreman off to work through the night to test for something he has already disproved, this could be a sign House wants him to stay.

This is a great episode and can not be missed by a House fan.
  • Been there, done that.

p dir="ltr">So this is what you get when you mix Insensitive with Whose You're Daddy and add a little bit of Jerk to it - a pretty predictable episode with a lot of deja vu moments. This season must be the season of the teen - and I'm SO tired of it!

The kid/jerk was actually quite good and unfortunately, just as it happens so often with House, no one believed his pain because he's such a jerk - especially the new martyr on the block Dr, Foreman. The kid told him he's in pain and that he can hardly bend his fingers right from the start, but the new found diagnostic genius just doesn't listen or care. Yes, Dr. Cuddy, it's really time to give Foreman a run team and double his salary. Brilliant. Oh, I get it, you just don't want to end up the only doctor who can't make the right diagnosis! At least now it makes sense.

And Dr. Foreman is still tormenting us all with his attitude, self doubts and new lack of confidence that substitutes for his former arrogance. And he's still oh so bitter, always sure nothing has to do with how he deals with things. He can't understand why Chase doesn't even think about giving him a peer reference. After all, all he said to Chase was that he never liked him and never will... but still, Chase is an a** for not offering him the reference.... Amazing.

Other then that, the whole accusation circle was so sad in a way. Here is a group of people who've been working together for at least 3 years now, some much longer, yet none of them actually knows, trusts or understands each other.

Wilson describes a situation that is at least 3 years old - (Chase is afraid of House, Cameron loves him and he enables him... And House is a 6 year old? Hey Wilson, wake up - it's you who is the child in this story...) And Cuddy is just as bad "an enabler doesn't conspire against"??? Errr, is your memory as short as your skirt? You are talking to the famous Wilson the enabler who conspired to lie to House on at least two occasions (Detox, Meaning) along WITH YOU, remember? Guess not...

Chase could have been the hero of this episode if he didn't have to remind us once again of his stupid/creepy part of his personality. Hopefully next episode will not happen on a Tuesday so that we don't have to watch him make an a** of himself again.

Cameron's line on how she doesn't care for House, yet no one believes her was the nicest thing she said in a long time.

And as for House - he plays with them all with no problem whatsoever - it's not even a challenge for him anymore. He looks genuinely disappointed when he realises Foreman is really not ready and has lost his ability to question his actions. House needs some new challenges soon. And so are we.
  • The best patient of the week in a long time! The Jerk and House go head to head.

This week had the best POTW since Half-Wit. It's been weeks since I've felt interested in the patient- not just the illness. And we get to see the white board again!
    The POTW rocked. As someone who gets migraines and cluster headaches I could sympathize with the kid and I loved his attitude. Some people are just asses, why pretend otherwise? It was great that Nate said whatever was on his mind, and it was so teenager-ish. I don't think I could sufficiently express my love for the scenes with House and Nate. It was easily the best part of the episode.
    Also funny was everyone blaming everyone else for messing with Foreman's job interview, but Chase being the only one to figure out who it was. (and can anyone believe that Chase actually said "See you next Tuesday" to Cameron while mad at her? See Sex and the City for a good explanation of the put down.) Chase was just great this ep. It's just too bad we didn't see much of Wilson.
    Now for the part that was totally unrealistic and pissed me off: Cuddy offering Foreman double the money and his own diagnostic team. This was insane! Maybe Cameron and Chase should completely F!*k up and kill someone to get the same deal. I mean, three episodes ago he killed someone and it was completely his fault and instead of firing him, Cuddy does this? Just because he disagrees with House? Even when Foreman admits that there will be cases he can't solve that House could? This is supposed to be a person in charge? This whole Foreman resigning is annoying. If he wants to leave, just leave. And I wish everyone would stop harping on House to try to fix it. It is Foreman's decision, so let him make it. So this episode had its ups and downs. Scenes with the patient and the patient/House were truly great (9.5/10 ) but the side story with Foreman is getting old, frustrating and unbelievable (4/10).
  • And I thought house was a jerk.

And I thought house was a jerk. This kid was awesome, and look, this series made me like that kind of personality. Of course I wouldn't be his mother, it's a miracle they haven't killed each other yet. When they were playing chess, it was like House found the toughest enemy of his life. It could have been even a season finale, but that must be something even better. And the chasing ghost part, that was amazing. They are so good at finding out secrets with their logic, even when it's not the truth that they find, it might as well have been. But at the end of the day, it's good to know that it was House, and the rest of the staff wasn't lying.
  • Good episode leading into hopefully a great finale.

A very good episode which should led into a very good and dramatic finale.

The title of this episode really fits this kid as it would have been very hard for me to treat this kid. What a brat.

House was back to some of his old ways in his tricks and smart remarks, looking forward to more of his funny lines in the future. I also liked the intense chess game between House and Nate. House technically won but Nate bluffed his way to victory in my eyes.

I really don't want Foreman to leave. he is a great componet of the team and if he leaves he might be written out of the show. That would really be bad because he is one of my favorites.

Anyways, looks like a great finale to me can't wait. To bad it's 2 weeks.
  • Good episode

Just about as good an episode we can get before the season finale. The episode title clearly and accurately describes the young prodigy. He was a real pain but he was also fun to watch.

I really have no idea if Foreman\'s gonna leave or gonna stay (hope you guys can fill me in on this :P), but I really hope he stays. He brings a lot to the show, and we would really miss him. Even the other guys on the team have made it felt that he would be missed, and that he is needed in the hospital.

A chess player myself, it was really fun to see the match between House and Nate, but I thought that Nate may have gotten himself a few moves behind House, as evidenced by the position. The position was still unclear though and the game could have gone either way.

Hoping for a really good finale two weeks from now. :D
  • Dr. MacCaney !

Good episode, with great House humor bits!!
    Chase was a lot like House, yet a lot like Chase in this episode, I really liked that!
    I'm pretty sure it was House who canceled Foreman's interview.
    House admitted by saying he didn't cost Foreman a good opportunity, he cost him a crappy one.
    He also told Chase that " Sometimes I forget why I hired you", so I'm taking that as a confirmation Chase figured it all out correctly as well.
  • Review

This was a really good episode, with a lot of comedy and a lot of the House that I have loved over the years. House went to the clinic for a quick three minute scene, which was a funny way to spend away from the case for a while. I liked the chess showdown between House and Nate, where House technically won and got the better of the chess master, but Nate bluffed his way to victory the night before as House was trying to stress him out. The "who killed Foremans interview" storyline was kind of random, but came with some funny parts. I really liked Cuddys idea of giving Foreman his own team, which would have made for an interesting power struggle next season. House was really dissapointing me in the last couple of weeks, I thought this episode really picked it up with some of the old tricks that Im used to seeing from this show.
  • Wow! I didn't think this was possible.

What an exciting episode. I didn't think that it was possible for someone to be more of a jerk than what House can be. A chess genius comes into the hospital with symptoms that include rage. The team is trying hard to figure out what is actually wrong with this kid, but are having no luck. His organs are starting to fail. Foreman's not much help. He's looking for another job & thinks that House has sabotaged his interviews. Foreman blames House, House blames Cuddy, Cuddy blames Wilson, Wilson blames Cameron, Cameron blames Chase. In turn, Chase blames House. Did he do it? We'll never know. Cuddy does offer Foreman a job, but he turns it down. He doesn't want to be like House, that's his main reason. We did learn something new, House plays chess & he's good at it too. House plays a game with the kid, hoping to try to figure out what's really wrong with him. He thinks he figures it out, but he was wrong. In trying to figure out how to beat the kid at chess, he finally figures out what's wrong with him. He goes back to see him & confirms his diagnoses. House treats him & all is well, except for one thing. The kid truly is a jerk. A very good episode. What will they do to us on the season finale? hmmmm
  • My favorite episode so far of Season Three.

This episode has wonderful dialogue, wonderful acting, wonderful moments of concern as well as humor, and struck a terrific balance of all the ingredients necessary for yet another wonderful episode of House. Without question, this episode is my favorite of this Third Season, and will gain a almost certain appearance in my Top 3 episodes of all time. Bears watching over and over again!

A quick summary of this episode: Nate, a 16-year-old chess prodigy (and a real piece of sh*t to boot), is admitted to Princeton-Plainsboro suffering from intense head pain that came on after he attacked his opponent during a speed chess tournament. House suspects his behavior as a symptom of cluster headaches. Meanwhile, Foreman's frustration with House reaches a new level when he believes House sabotaged his job interview with another hospital, and Cuddy makes Foreman an offer she's sure he cannot refuse.
  • Back to normal! Great episode.

Great comeback from the last few weeks. The writing was great - annoying brat who bears similar qualities to a kid-like House stops by the emergency room. Great couple of exchange lines from Chase and Cameron to the jerk, Nate. Foreman's character is sort of back in the right place, although deciding whether to leave or not. Cuddy and Wilson make supporting appearances. Cameron actually contributed to discussion this time around. All around, it was a solid episode, with some good allusions and references to Wayne's World and Punk'd and even that Iron guy's song that sounds like "Garden of Eden" (re: that Simpson's episode). Let's hope the finale really livens things up next week. Will Foreman leave? Cuddy-Wilson relationship? Cuddy-House relationship? - I'd really like to see something done with this - or how 'bout any relationship at all for the either/both of them. Anyways, bottom line: solid episode.
USA