How I Met Your Mother

A Change Of Heart

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 28, 2011 on CBS

• A Change of Heart...

Whilst not necessarily being the funniest episode of How I Met Your Mother this season, "A Change of Heart" will definitely go down as one of my favourites. For a while now the writers have switched up the focus of the show and moved on from the childish humour in a series of mostly unconnected episodes, to a more serious character driven set of episodes that do well to follow on from one another. This week, we see a topic a that has been addressed a few times throughout the show's six seasons but never really felt as genuine as it did in "A Change of Heart." In the wake of Marshall's fathers death, save for Barney, the gang all get their hearts checked out. When Barney finally decides to follow suit and is tasked with wearing a heart monitor, we get to see a fairly cheesy, but nonetheless, charming account of an evening Barney spends with his new "love" interest Nora.

For the past couple of episodes it seems like they have been setting up Barney's character for a paradigm shift toward a more serious and respectable outlook, and given that the show ultimately has to drive towards some conclusion, I accepted that it was about time for the change. However, at the last moment after Barney realises that he truly has feelings for Nora, he backs out and decides not to tell her. Personally I was a little annoyed at the writers choice of prolonging the inevitable, but I suppose if it can allow them to deliver more character centric episodes like this before he finally gets there, maybe it will have been worth it? Either way, a pretty solid episode of How I Met Your Mother.