How I Met Your Mother

Bagpipes

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Nov 02, 2009 on CBS

• They don't focus on the actual plot anymore!

3.5
    Obviously, the whole 5th season is focused on the relationships of both Marshall and Lily as well as Barney and Robin, while totally getting away from the actual story of how Ted met the mother of his future kids. In the past seasons, Ted was telling stories of how important things in his life happened or how he did something that was necessary for him to find his future wife, but now? None of the stories in season 5 have anything to do with Ted's life. Basically, he's the most unimportant cast member of the 5.

Aside of that, this episode is fun to watch and the writers had some nice ideas, . bagpipes as a euphemism for intercourse, or Barney and Robin's neighbour who practically did nothing but sitting there. This stuff is nothing compared to the hilarious gags of season 1 (and sometimes seasons 2 and 3) which made me laugh about 5 times per episode. By now, I'm at 1 actual laugh in the whole season 5 which already lasted for 2 hours.

So, this episode sums the current status of the show up very well: unnecessary to the actual plot, unfunny and - what I didn't mention until now - it just copies stuff that we've had in former episodes already. At least this episode isn't as stupid as the last one.
  • Barney advises Marshall on realtionships

Future Ted has at times kept from telling his kids the wold part of his story. Some of them include sandwiches (done numerous times), grinch, and too old for this stuff. In this episode another one introduced in bagpipes. It's obvious what's being said but funny nonetheless.

At this point Barney has been dating Robin for a while. Barney has always been confident so much that he thinks he can give Marshall advice on relationships. It's funny how Marshall dismisses Barney at first. I also like how Barney thinks things are in trouble when Lilly asks Marshall with the dish. However like when Barney decides to sleep with a women he changes Marshall's mind. The result ends up in a fourth slap and no it's not the fourth slap. I enjoyed how the fight between Lilly and Marshall never got that serious where you were worried about them. Another funny part is when Barney told what Marshall what he would do if he were in the same situation. Speaking of fights if you are wondering why Robin and Barney didn't have one, you find out why in this one. I enjoyed how Barney and Robin tried to get out of their fights. When you find out how serious the fights were it did a good job of setting up the next episode.
  • Ted can't sleep because of the couple "playing the bagpipes" upstairs.

"Bagpipes" is an awesome How I Met Your Mother episode. I love how Future Ted is telling his children about the new neighbours having loud sex upstairs, but he uses "Playing the bagpipes" to make the story more appropriate for his children. I love the end of the episode when you find out the couple upstairs is an old couple. I love how Barney explains that he and Robin avoid fighting by either leaving the room or getting naked. I love how Robin and Barney pretend to be all romantic to hide the fact that they are fighting. I thought the Marshall being upset by not wanting to do the dishes stupid, but I love the fight they had. I love how seeing how messed up Robin and Barney's relationship gets them to stop fighting and forgive each other. I give this episode a 9/10.

• Almost but not quite....

Agreable its the best episode yet of season five but still not close to the past seasons. It is becoming a brand new show. A show about Barney and Robin with side story of Marshall and Lily. But wait, is the title said How I met Your Mother? And where are the kids? No more budget to show the kids once in a while? And the Barney Robin couple is getting old and annoying. Not like Ted and Robin when they were a couple its romantic and funny and interesting. Because Ted is the lead guy in the show. The show is suppose to be about Ted!!!!
  • I am astonished at how much this show has improved.

And I thought that season 1-2 were the only golden years? This season has kicked comedy ass so far. I am in love with this episode. They started focusing more on the comedy which is amazing. This was sort of a relationship episode, with fighting, but it wasn't dramatic at all. This is also amazing; in this episode Barney & Robin seem like perfect couple. Ted suspects that something is up between those two when they start using nick names. And he doesn't believe that they never ever fought. Meanwhile Ted has his own issues when he always hears the neighbors "bag piping," which is a euphemism for having sex. "Ugh, shut the bag pipe up!" That is hilarious. There were other scenes that really stood out such as Robin & Barney trying to avoid fighting, Barney, by walking out of the room and Robin by taking off her clothes. When Ted still suspects something else is going on, he pays their neighbor a visit, and it turns out they've been fighting like crazy. It all started on their ski trip, when they were on the sky lift. Barney had nowhere to go, and it was too cold for Robin to take off her clothes. So the honeymoon is over. They start fighting. Meanwhile, Marshall takes relationship advice from Barney, and gets in a huge fight with Lilly. Their arguments were hilarious. My favorite scene is when Barney & Robin come to Marshall and Lilly for advice, turns out Robin & Barney's fights are insane. I love the metal montage! So hilarious, Barney saying "Stab me, stab me!" While the metal music goes on, hilarious, Marshall and Lilly set aside their differences and make up. I love the Barney & Robin relationship. The fact that Ted hasn't been in much lately is helping for some strange reason. An amazing funny episode, it's the first favorite of the season.
  • Funny, but it lacked something special.

I enjoyed this episode quite a lot, and I found it to be quite funny, but I wasn't a huge fan of the storyline. It was interesting, but I felt that it got a little ridiculous at some points.

I thought the episode was very funny, and there were several very hilarious momentss, such as Barney attempting to quote Gandhi on several occasions. I enjoyed that quite a lot, and I hope they continue to do this in the future.

Uverall, the episode was interesting, but not up to the quality of episodes from past seasons. I think the show is very interesrting, but I hope it picks up soon, as this wasn't that terrific.
  • Crack.

It's always a known fact that every couple eventually has a fight. Yeah, we've all been there. Ususally their about what one does do or doesn't do, or just plain ego. I really liked this episode, though the only bad thing about the episode was I thought the little subplot with Ted was useless. It was obviously a joke, but I don't know I didn't really find it that funny. Let alone the fact Ted wasn't useful enough which I'm finding a problem right now and hopefully it doesn't continue.

It was fun seeing both Lily and Marchall fight, I haven't actually seen both of them fight much, the only time was in the season finale of Season 1. Anyway it was just funny seeing Marchall express anger when he takes bad advice from Barney, he puts that advice into practice and you can easily guess the results aren't pritty.

I like seeing how it began which was very unsmooth, Marchall tries to say the exact words he envisioned in his mind but unfortunately they come out making no sense at all or just plain ridiculous. But then of course he breaks one cardnal rule by saying one thing no one should ever say to their significant other, it's a spark that turned into a roaring forest fire. My favorate moment was when Ted and Marchall have a slap bet, that was just funny and was something I've been missing in the show. There is still the 4th and 5th one that I still haven't seen, hopefully in this season we'll see them, last season we never saw one which is another reason why fourth season was a disapointment.

In a way I could emphasize with Marchall not liking to do the dishes, who really does. It's not so much the repitition that gets to me but more when someone demands I do them now. It's not that I'm lazy I just don't feel like doing them now is all, and most of the time it's because I have some work I have to get finished, or simply feel like doing something else. Barney and Robin of course learn the hard way why it's healthy to have fights, because at least you can find a resolution and of course the ahem aftermath after the heat of the fight. The fact the ski lift stopped could be God or fate's way to tell them to deal with their dilema.

In the end both couples do find a resolution, let alone both Marchall and Lily are king and queen again of best couple in the world, let alone both play the ahem bagpipes.
  • Barney and Robin claim to be the best couple in the world as Lilly and Marshall fight over the dishes. Ted has to live with his new upstairs neighbours always "playing the bagpipes!"

This was defintiely the funniest ep of the season, there is no doubt about that. From opening to close this ep had laughs that kept me chuckling non-stop. The negatives were only minor but they did stop the ep from being a true classic of the show.

This week Robin and Ted have to live with the new neighbours from upstairs always going at it, or as Ted describes it "playing the bagpipes." Ted decides to ask them to keep it down after days of annoyance but is shocked to find that the new neighbours are elderly.

Meanwhile, Barney gloats that him and Robin are the best couple ever. This is because they never fight as when a fight is about to start either Robin gets naked or Barney just up and leaves. When they both return from their skii trip, they seem even happier with one another but Ted isn't buying it. This competition to be the best couple has a bad effect on Lilly and Marshall as Marshall takes the advice of Barney and tells Lilly he no longer wants to do the dishes as it only bothers her, not him. Inevitably this leads to a chain of fights between the two.

This was very funny and the story arcs were good and to a large extent reached their full potential but the one problem with the show still remains. Were I Ted's kids I would have got up and left because it has been almost 5 years and the story of how he met their mother is still going. To be honest there was no point of the first 4 seasons based on this premise and he doesn't seem any closer to finding the woman he will marry. As funny as this show is it still lacks direction that it needs to find, before this season is another waste.
  • The best episode of Season 5 so far. HIMYM is back.

I wasn't really expecting much from this episode and thought it would be another Barney-Robin centric episode (really can't stand them anymore). But it turned out to be the best episode of the season thus far. The jokes made me laugh for the first time in this season and I was reminded of the first two seasons. I still can't get used to Robin and Barney being a couple though. They're just not that good together. Barney needs to be single and awesome again. But after seeing this episode, I definitely think they'll break up soon which will give the writers great material to work on for the rest of the episodes of this season.
  • Best Episode of Season 5 so far!

I was actually really surprised by how much I enjoyed this episode. Even though it didn't move the story forward (which we should be used to by now), it had so many good laughs, that made up for it: The bagpipes, Robin and Barney being the "perfect couple", Barney's theory about what Marshall should do and of course the new slap bet.

All those jokes made this episode extremely entertaining specially when seeing that the other episodes of this season so far were a little bit disappointing. In my opinion the best bagpipin' episode of Season Season 5 so far!
  • Cheesy but good..

This has been an occasional home run from the team at HIMYM. A really good episode that looked like some good old ones, one that didn't for once focus on lame and uninteresting stuff.

The technique of using an unrelated term as an analogy to an inappropriate act has been used like a million times. Desperate Housewives did it yesterday, and HIMYM did it today with the Bagpipes thing. And I don't know why it still gives me a kick out it. The last couple of scenes were cheesy, bu certainly excusable because they got their act right in the beginning. Good episode overall.
  • Very tongue in cheek title for this episode. Barney becomes the relationship master and not only gets Marshall in trouble, but makes it seem that he and Robin are the perfect couple.

Some humorous moments in this episode and some very funny innuendos. As Dad (Ted) is telling his kids the story he can't come right out and explain that the people downstairs are having sex constantly so he says they are playing the bagpipes insistently. I don't know why he can't tell them as a lot, actually most, of the stories have pretty raunchy parts to them at times. Anyways it is very funny within the context of the episode. Especially when the age of the couple in question is revealed.

Now as far as the rest of the episode is concerned. Why Marshall would ever take relationship advice from Barney who knows. Ted sat right there and kept telling him, but no. So you knew he was going to even make it worse than Barney's lines would have and of course Lily booted him out. All over the classic dirty dish scenario.

Barney and Robin somehow seem to have become the perfect couple. Never arguing, no raised words, giving each other nicknames (which Robin really hates) among other actions. They're reasoning and techniques about how they avoid fighting are truly inane and sure to backfire soon. Ted finds their downstairs neighbor, Phil who spills the beans that they are fighting all the time. It seems when they went away for the ski weekend Barney couldn't walk out and it was too cold for Robin to flash Barney so all of their techniques were blown and the fighting commenced. In the end Marshal apologizes and so does Lily and they start playing the "bagpipes" in their apartment bothering the downstairs tenants.

Cute episode with some good bits and some I could take or leave. Things do seem to go better when Ted seems more like the umpire or referee between the other characters than an active participant. Just thinking. Thanks for reading...