How I Met Your Mother

Big Days

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Sep 20, 2010 on CBS

7.8
  • A very nice debut for the new season

This episode indicates that this new season will be better than the two disappointing ones before, because it's sympathetic, funny and also indicates some things to who might be the mother of Ted's children. It was great to see Rachel Bilson againb ecause I really like her and her role. Robin at the beginning was really stupid, but the rest of this episode is very enjoyable and a lot better than most of season 5.
  • The Start of season 6 is something special

Remember when I said in my reviews for season 5, that it gets better? It starts with this episode. Ted is outside a church that according to the timeline is a little ways down the road. He is seated with Marshall waiting for a wedding. I loved the start of this episode. It was a great song. Ted is nervous, pealing back a label from a beer bottle. And you what more on this later.

Back at the present time Ted is doing the same at the same bar. It turns out that he is nervous because of a women sitting down. Ted is thinking about talking to her until Barney declares dibs on her. It was too bad that you don't get to hear the story of Sir Walter Dibs. That's one of the few complaints about this episode. If this were in season 5 it would be a bigger complaint but in this season and episode it's not. Elsewhere, Marshall and Lilly are starting the process of trying to have a baby. Not to be offensive by Lilly was looking extra hot in this episode. (remember I am a guy) Her outfit was just the right kind of attractiveness hot but over the top hot. The mini argument they had were pretty funny. I also enjoyed how Marshall's co-workers encouraged him as he left work. Also at this time Robin is in the middle of getting over Don. Her look was so funny. I really liked Barney's d-rection line. Another funny part is when Marshall taking one look at her was good to "keep it I think Barney's jokes on Robin were amusing but mean. The best comment was the milk comment. Barney was not only funny in this episode but you got to see his serious side too. You have seen it before in bits and pieces of in in previous seasons. But this was the start of seeing a Barney in new way without changing his character. I would say more but that would spoil things.

The end might have been one of the greatest endings in while. It was not just because Cindy (the mother's roommate) kissed the girl Ted was thinking about maybe the possibility of talking that women was not the one for Ted. However I don't think it was a tease. I don't think the mother would be shown at the start of an episode. The greatest part of this episode was that it got you thinking whose wedding it was when it was and how Ted was going to meet the mother. There was finally a place where Ted was going to meet her. It's what made it exciting. This may have been one of the best starts and endings of this series. Season 5 was not the best season. It never challenged my love for this series but this episode reaffirmed my love for this show.
  • Ted sees Cindy at the bar.

"Big Days" is an awesome episode and amazing season premiere for season 6 How I Met Your Mother. This episode is a huge improvement from season 5. I love how Ted sees Cindy at the bar and she's with this woman who Ted assumes is her room mate. I love how it turns out that Cindy and this woman are lovers and that they got married and had a daughter. I love how Ted reveals that he met their mom at a wedding and it shows that Ted is the best man. I give this episode a 9/10.

• So he met his wife at a wedding for which he was best man, question answered and guess what I don't care any more.

Cheesy, unrealistic and just downright stupid are words that I would never have used to descirbe the early episodes. Scratch that, maybe cheesy sometimes but a sweet kind of cheesy that kept you watching. Nowadays the only reason I watch the odd episode is for some kind of closure about the main point of the series.

There are 2 ways of looking at this show, either the whole point of the series doesn't matter to you or it does. The former means that you actually care about these characters the latter means that you have followed the story from the start and just want to find out how he met his wife. I started off liking the characters, even Ted I found charming for his ridiculous naivety, Barney was funny and then again Marshall and Lily were sweet in their way. But ultimately I still wanted to find out the answer, now I am just left with a minor wish to see what happened. I probably should just give up but the memory of how much I liked the early series keeps me coming back......
  • When will this show get to the Point?

Yes, the kissing scene was amazing and this eps was good by standards.

But seriously, when will this show get to its own point?

Its How I Met you're mother, not When I met your mother or...
    Who I was before I met your mother. Five seasons in, and no where close to answering this show is promising at all. What they don't get is if they continue down this path, its like slapping the viewers in the face. Do that, and come next season, we'll see how many people stick around. Seriously, if things don't start changing and gets to the point, then you can say "Can-wait for it-celled".
  • not horrible

The latest episode of How I Met Your Mother was shockingly not that bad. There were a few genuine laughs here, and even the cutaway gags were not as ridiculous as they usually were. Barney Stinson was in top form here and I think everyone will try to fit the word "derection" into their vocabulary at some point during the week.

Even Marshall had some good moments, and I have not laughed at anything Jason Segel has done since Season 2. Definitely glad I tuned in for the season premiere of How I Met Your Mother, but I do not know if it was good enough to keep me watching.
  • Ted reunites with Cindy (Rachel Bilson), a girl he had a bad date with. Marshall has a problem with telling everyone their decision to have a baby. Robin deals with her and Don's break-up, while Barney deals with the end of "the season of exposed skin".

This was a pretty good start to the season. I feel like we are getting closer to finding out who the mother is, which I am excited about. I know once the mom is revealed, there won't be much more to go, but I feel like it's about time Ted finds the "One". Barney had a great episode, but then again Neil Patrick Harris always makes me laugh. I am glad Robin and Don broke up, I like her better without him. Marshall was also pretty funny this episode, but I hope he and Lily don't argue about whether or not to have a baby any longer. I miss them being funny, rather than arguing. The ending with Cindy was pretty funny and we learn that Ted meets his future wife when he is best man at a wedding. Overall, I am pretty excited for this season; it looks promising.
  • The episode that nearly revealed everything, only to crash and crush our hopes in the end!

I actually thought we were getting our first look at the 'mother' we have been pursuing for six seasons! However, that did not turn out to be the case in this episode, although that didn't take too much away from things.

The stroyline with Lily and Marshall was funny at times, but it did get a little over the top towards the wend, in the sense that I lost interestin what was going on..

Overall, this episode wasn't special, but it's great to see a new season of How I Met Your Mother, and there was a fair bit of good comedy in this episode. For that reason, I would recommend it!
  • This was Great season premiere and what HIMYM was lacking in season 5!

This episode to me was great and it got back to the good moments of seasons 1-4. It was great I liked Ted's stroy the best it got back to the meeting someone for Ted which they need and the drama that Ted had before this season came. And the fact that rachel bilson's character was a lesbian was suprisingly funny at the end of the episode. I liked the Marshall and Lily story as well with Marshall telling his dad everything and the scene at the end was good with marshall telling everyone on the sidewalk. But i do hope this is not the focus for Marshall and Lily in season 6, making a baby. I was not liking Robin in this episode i don't think that relationship was that meanful to be that heartbroken about it, at least the viewers had to know more about Don. For Barney I loved his part being awesome like usual but not getting tangled in the story and being the main part of the episode, but overall great start to the season and i hope they keep it up!!!!!
  • Ted has to face Summer Roberts .. sorry, Cindy.. blah blah blah

wow. not really a very impressive start to the season. i used to laugh so hard at this show.. now it's just a little amusing. The characters keep going around in circles, and the story lines are getting less interesting. it's like theyre trying to be more funny, so the plot is lacking.. and the constant jokes are so put on and forced. overpowering the episode with jokes would have been okay if they were actually half way decent.. but they were the same jokes we've heard the last five seasons aside from the last 3 minutes, where the wedding thing was revealed, the episode wasn't so great.

i'll keep watching, because i still love the show, and the characters.. but if the season doesn't improve from this episode i'll be disappointed.
  • An Okay season premiere

I thought this episode really fits the criteria of almost all season premiere episodes for sitcoms. It kind of brings together where they had left us, and gently spots the light on where things might be going, leaving us with positive anticipation. I loved the fact that it went around Ted "almost" meeting the mother, it's a good start and probably it's a promising sign that the "finding the mother" storyline will be featured more throughout this season. I also hope Lily and Marshal's debate over whether they should have a baby or not ends soon, I want to see FUNNY Lily this season, I hope the writers will credit her by making an episode all around her, because I think she's been under-shadowed all throughout season 4 and 5. Again, an okay episode.
  • It's like when you first eat a foreign dish which you thought was delightfully tasteful but partaking of it these days you consider it as just another meal.

I've been watching HIMYM since it started back in 2005 and either I have outgrown the show or it has outgrown itself.

The show seems to be going around in circles. The premise of the HIMYM still keeps me interested and eager to follow Ted's journey of discovering 'the One'. The episodes that centre around Barney are real highlights due to Neil Patrick Harris brilliance. The opening episode of season 6 lacks the excitement of its predecessors season openers e.g. s2 and s3 openers. The return of Rachel Bilson was nice to see although it would have been interesting to see how Cindy met Teds future wife and if she graduated from Teds college. The Marshall and Lily story line was good as I'm sure many people can relate to the 'nosy In-laws Syndrome'. I'm glad the writers have stopped 'harping on' about Robin being a Canadian, it was getting a little old. Robin as a character is interesting because she is portrayal as this 'tom boy' gun slinging, cigar smoking aficionado shows her to be very strong and independent and yet she has a vulnerably soft side to her as is evident in this episode. Even though the show has lost its luster of the glory days the relationship of the characters is keeping it alive. I'm willing to give the writers a chance to make the characters lives more settled and focus into the season. The show to me now is like a good meal, when it was once like an exotic feast.

This episode was a bit devoid of laughter, but we got a tease of the mother, a pretty big one actually, which we haven't got in a long while, not since the 100th episode anyway. This episode was pretty good, but I didn't laugh much. Not like I used too anyway, I honestly don't even think of this show as a "comedy" anymore. Nothing about this show has made me laugh lately, and I have just come to realize that when I didn't laugh once in this episode.

Like I said though, we did get some crazy development here which is always great. Ted will find the mother on the day of "the wedding" Ted's best man at the wedding? Whose wedding could it be? Barney's? Robin's? Who knows, I just know by this episode that were pretty close at meeting the mother. Lilly and Marshall trying to have a baby was nice and emotional in places, yet still, not funny. Barney thinks Robin has lost "It", after grieving over the breakup with Don, but in the end she proves that she still has "It" A good episode, with great development.
  • Ted has to face Cindy, the ex-girlfriend who lived with his future wife. Robyn is dealing with her break up and Marshall gets too excited about conceiving the baby.

This episode was a sweet and emotional entrance to the sixth season- unlike the usual. It was nice to have some of Ted's story go a little forward. I thought it was nice that they weren't too heavy on the funny, that way it didn't come of as trying to hard to make us laugh after months of summer absence. I personally enjoyed it and can't wait to see what else will unfold.

Ted's emotional turmoil of finding his partner, in my humble opinion, is the best part of the show! It feels like this might be the last season of the show...but who knows...maybe 2 more seasons?
  • Ted sees Cindy whose roommate is the Mother. He thinks the woman she's with maybe her roommate. Robin is grieving about the breakup with Don. Marshall can't keep his mouth shut about trying for a baby, and Lily is disturbed that Marshall's father knows.

There were several times where I said "Awww!" at Barney. Him getting stars in his eyes when Robin came in looking good. And, the honest "If I had my Dad's phone number, I wouldn't get off the phone with him." Aww!

However, there weren't many laugh-out-loud moments for me, but I love the fact we're getting back on track looking for the Mother. That was sadly missing throughout last season.

The Marshall/Lily storyline--Marshall has a big mouth, and we've known it for a while. But, there was something wrong about what happened--something I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe because we've only heard about Marshall's father a couple times? Not nearly enough for someone to be in their lives all the time.

I'm intrigued by the wedding. Ted is best man? Whose wedding is it?

Not the best season premiere. But, I'm still hanging in there.

8/10