How I Met Your Mother

Brunch

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 02, 2006 on CBS

• Not a good episode

4.5
    Jason Segel is the only one of the bunch that did a good job. All of the stories weren't really interesting and there were several silly parts in the screenplay.
  • Ted's Parents Visits

This episode had a classic storytelling of this series. What made this good was that all three parts were good. What I also liked was you got to find out something different in all three stories.

Let's start with Ted's story. I liked his parents. Both are likeable people. I like that they are both uncomfortable with anything less then perfect. I think it was funny that Ted's mom didn't bug her about marriage. I think it wasn't just because what you find out at the end but maybe she really believes that Ted and Robin won't end up together.

And now Lilly and Marshall's story. I thought it was funny how they tried to upstage one another. It was good that it was done in a humorous way and not in a childish way.

Now Barney's story. I liked that Ted's dad was his wing man. I think that it's interesting how easily he can pick up women. It was funny how he stole Barney's women from him. I also find it enjoyable how Barney sucked up to Barney's mom. It was done in a funny way and shows how great the character of Barney is.

This was just an overall good episode. My favorite part is you find out why future Ted goes into detail of how met his wife.
  • The gang reveals three sides of a simple brunch with Ted's parents.

In what I think was one of the best episode formats the writers have thrown at us all season or series, we meet Ted's parents for the first time. We get to see the Marshall & Lily side, Ted & Robin side, and Barney side, which all have something to do with the fact that Ted's parents are secretly not married anymore, which obviously upsets Ted in the end when he finally finds out. While Marshall & Lily are mainly competing to make each other jealous, Barney snaps when his new wingman in Ted's dad is caught making out with another girl. Barney assumes he's cheating but when Ted confronts his parents at the memorable brunch, his parents admit they've been separated for quite some time. Kinda sad that Ted had to find everything out this way although the laugh track proved otherwise. However, it was my favorite episode at that point of the young Season 2, making me excited to see more between Ted and his parents and Marshall vs. Lily. They're having sex mighty fast again, so it obviously won't be long again before they start dating.
  • The gang and Ted's parents have brunch.

"Brunch" is an amazing How I Met Your Mother episode. This is the first episode I saw of How I Met Your Mother. I love the beginning of this episode where a picture is taken of the gang plus Ted's parents and it looks like the perfect pictures but it's not. I love how Ted tells the story of how they got to taking that picture. I love how Ted and Lily try to make each other uncomfortable at brunch. I love how Lily wears tighter clothing while Marshall is flaunting his calves. I love how they go to the bathroom to have sex. I love how Ted introduces Barney to his parents and he thinks Barney's going to be inappropriate but he's super nice to them. I love how Ted's dad becomes Barney's wingman and Barney catches him kissing Wendy, so he takes a picture and shows Ted. I love how Ted warns Robin that his parents may ask her about having children, and then they don't ask her about children. It's so funny how Robin wants Ted's parents to want her to have Ted's children even though she doesn't want children. Anyways, I love how Ted finds out his parents are separated. I give this episode a 10/10.

• Clever.

A great well executed episode with a lot of twists along the way. Sounds like How I Met your Mother was definitely up to par this week. A great concept that deals with Ted's parents and how it affects the whole gang. I'm liking the Marshall/Lilly development. Them fighting and having a quickie in the bathroom because of Marshall's calves was hysterical. Robin trying to impress Ted's parents was a bit too predictable for my liking, but it definitely developed in to something more serious. First we think Ted's dad is cheating on Ted's mom. Then Robin finds out they're divorced, which definitely makes branch uncomfortable. All the plots tied together perfectly which is what I love about this episode. We find a lot of similarities between Ted's parents & Ted and Robin. Looks like we definitely know they're not going to end up together, and if they stay together, they're just going to end up like Ted's parents which was sad to see but still awesome development. An amazing episode, funny at times, editing was great.
  • great episodes in three acts

this episode was told from three different points of view which i found was nice. season one had an episode with similar viewpoints. the one where lilly sat on the wedding cake.
    th episode was funny, i liked how they brought marshall and lilly closer together again. lillys thing for his calves was hilarious. i also really laughed at the grandma lines, the parents were great.
    what struck me as amazing is how they hinted at ted and robin not being the perfect couple, when the parents told why they got divorced. great way of putting doubts into teds head.
    sorry for the spelling, im german :-)
  • Great episode, lots of funny lines!

This episode is more or less divided into parts. The Marshall and Lily part was great, good lines, and their going to the bathroom together was hilarious! I especially loved the way Marshall showed off his calves. The Barney part was amazing, because his attempts to impress Ted's parents were exactly like a potential girlfriend's would be. It's sad that he thinks he has to try to impress his best friend's parents, though. And I loved the way Ted reacted to dicovering his dad was kissing a waitress.

But to me, the best parts were at the brunch. Some particulars:
    -Marshall zipping his pants
    -The big reveal
    -Robin's line after Ted and his parents talk outside
    -Where's Grandma?
  • Another very clever episode.

This episode saw the group (plus Ted's folks) attend a brunch, each dealing with their own mini storyline. The same few moments are repeated several times focusing different character's experiences. Ted doesn't know that his parents are divorced, they don't want to tell him, Robin worried Ted's mother doesn't like her, Barney tries to win them over while Robin and Marshall try desperately to seduce each other. (This culminates in a quicky in the bathroom.)

The episode had some good comedy moments, and Ted's mum's talk about how she and his dad are a total mismatch was a slightly awkward moment... Makes you wonder how long Ted and Robin are going to last for.

A great episode just because of the introduction of Ted's parents, I hope we will see them again, especially his mum.
  • Meeting the Parients

This episode really helped this season pick up speed again. It was cleaverly contructed using once again the show's strength, non liner storytelling. I loved seeing the sexual tenchion between both Lily and Marchall both of them are trying to make each other crack. And of course both cave in on their sexual urge for one another and expressing it in a public stall. Those two just can't stay away from one another.

And Robin's anxiety over interacting with Ted's parients.
    But in this episode it's really Barney that steals the show. It great just seeing a more sweeter side to him apart from his slick, smart alec, womanizing persona. You really believe him to have deep respect for Ted's parients from all the little things he does.

However the episode also leaves us with a rather openended thought about the future of Robin and Ted's relationship. Could the information Ted's parients gave both of them about what happened in their relationship be a forshadowing of what's to come or could it be for Lilly and Marchall?
  • Great episode which puts the series back on track

After a relatively lack-lustre premier to season 2, it\'s good to see \'How I met your Mother\' back to its elements. Non-linear storytelling at its best, the episode zoomed right into the brunch and rewound back to show what led to the incident. Parts of the scripts were predictable (i think numerous shows have had parents coming overwhere the dad \'cheats\' and it\'s all fine with the mom. didn\'t this happened in \'Friends\' before?) This season has become a little bit more \'drama\' than \'comedy\' as compared to last season. Barney, particularly has been rather mellow. He\'s the star of the show. It\'d be good to see him pull more outrageous, idiosyncratic stunts!
  • Great Episode, funny and adds to the plot well. [Spoilers]

This show is wonderful. It's light-hearted comedy takes your mind off everything. Brunch is a really good episode, it's funny and adds to the plot quite well. As a 30th wedding anniversary gift for his parents, Ted flys them over to New York. This is the first time Robin will meet them. Ted's relationship with his parents is limited and his parents are shown to always avoid any serious topics. Ted's parents hit it off with Barney and Ted's father becomes Barney's wing man for the night, and is successful in doing what Ted couldn't do...pick up! As Ted finds out about his fathers 'sins', he is infuriated and during brunch the next day, asks his father to confess to his mother what had happened. Ted's parents then drop a bombshell by telling him that they have broken up, and that it happened almost two years ago. Ted's father gives Ted reasons for their break up, namely they are two different people. From what Ted's father and mother tell Ted, the viewer gets the idea that Ted and Robin won't work out for the same reason as Ted's parents didn't work out. Marhsall and Lily continue their struggle, and they complicate their relationship by not being able to resist each other.
  • Much Better.

A big step up from the last episode. Much funnier and better use of Barney, Lily and Marshall in this episode. I enjoyed the mini-battle of the sexes between Marshall and Lily. Ted's parents were both very refreshing, an older mirror image of the Ted and Robin relationship. Esp. the fact that they met and began dating in much the same manner as Ted and Robin.
    Barney was back to being charming instead of mildly annoying. Marshall's calf rubbing seduction was not pretty to watch at all, but I loved Lily's reactions to it and the fact that Marshall deceived Lily about the CD's.
MNT