A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

You see, kids, when a woman loves a man, it's not quite the same thing as say, a network loving a pilot. CBS has officially decided NOT to move forward with Carter Bays and Craig Thomas's How I Met Your Mother spin-off How I Met Your Dad, and that sound you hear is me crying because now I'll have to find a new outlet for HIMYM series finale jokes! Just kidding, I'll be slipping those in as often as possible for as long as I can manage. However, I'm admittedly pretty excited about this news, because now I don't have to throw away my TV. Thanks, CBS! 

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the network had until Wednesday (that's today) to rule on HIMYD, which starred Greta Gerwig as the female equivalent of Ted Mosby. Ultimately, the decision came down to the fact that CBS loved the brand but wanted to redo the pilot. Network programming boss Nina Tassler told reporters this morning that "re-piloting was in the best interest of protecting the creative elements of the show." Unfortunately, creators Bays and Thomas didn't see it that way and were all, "Oh hell no, lady. This is our poorly made vision and we will stick to it for nine years and not change a thing even if the character developments warrant it!" 

Okay, fine, I may have taken some liberties/entirely fabricated that second quote, but the point is, Bays and Thomas weren't particularly open to the idea of a reshoot. I have no idea what they actually said, but I support their commitment to standing by their work, just like they did when the HIMYM finale was being hotly debated by critics and fans in March. In today's world, it's difficult to not take to heart what a bunch of wackadoodles on the internet are saying about you, but Bays and Thomas are two courageous men who boldly put their choices out into the world and accept them for what they are. Kudos to them.

It's also worth noting that How I Met Your Dad is the second proposed spin-off of a long-running series to not be picked up this development season, as The CW opted not to move forward with Supernatural: Bloodlines. It's easy to make a connection between the two projects even without having seen the HIMYD pilot, because both would-be spin-offs featured entirely new casts and would've been wholly unconnected to their parent shows. HIMYM was able to stave off execution for so many years because of its unique format and because fans wanted to be friends with Ted, Marshall, Lily, Robin, and Barney. The same can be said about the success of Supernatural—that series works because fans love Sam and Dean. People don't want to see a spin-off where the characters they're invested in don't appear.

E! Online is reporting that the How I Met Your Dad pilot will be shopped to other networks now that CBS decided against ordering it. As a long-time fan of How I Met Your Mother, not to mention a frequent champion of the show's final season (the series finale aside), I do think it's time we let this spin-off idea fade from our collective memories. CBS passing on it was in the network's best interest, and other networks would be wise to pass as well. HIMYM's finale left a bitter taste in the mouths of many fans, and although the success of a spin-off doesn't rest solely on the viewership of the mothership (or in this case, the Mothership—yuk yuk yuk), it's a very big part of the foundation. HIMYM ran for nine years, but many fans had closed their tabs and gone home by the time Ted Blue French-Horned Robin again. To put it another way: The How I Met Your Dad pilot is the living embodiment of Ted's mother's "Nothing good happens after 2am" rule. Sorry, kids.

Are you still interested in the idea of How I Met Your Dad?

Full disclosure: TV.com is owned by CBS.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

70 Comments
Comments (69)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"Oh hell no, lady. This is our poorly made vision and we will stick to it for nine years and not change a thing even if the character developments warrant it!"
Yup.
Flag
Reminds of that god-awful spin-off to That 70's show...."That 80's Show."

Ugh.
Flag
I don't understand all the negativety about something we never saw. It's judging a book by its cover.
Flag
It's not judging a book by its cover. It's judging a book based on the author's prior work: a trilogy that dragged on into 5 books with a crappy ending.
Flag
Oh thank god I couldn't stand HIMYM and I'm sure as hell did not want to see the same damn thing again.
Flag
Comments like this are extremely annoying. You act like people are forcing you to watch it. If you don't like the show, then don't watch it! Clearly you watched HIMYM, yet you say you could't stand it. It makes you sound stupid for complaining.
Flag
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Flag
THANK GOD
Flag
Its not like I was planning on watching it anyway...some things just can't be done twice: OUaT in Wonderland and How I Met your Dad among them.
Flag
Common sense prevails for a change!
Flag
Oh thank God!!! Seriously one of the stupidest ideas for a spin off. Now freaking I know this really wasn't a spin off per-se but on the other hand SyFy should have made BSG: Blood and Chrome into a series man that thing was awesome for a web series!
Flag
I would have been 5 years ago. I would have been if they somehow made it concurrent shows and you could see what the mother we met oh so briefly was doing while ted was being an idiot. or if it was still a new cast maybe have overlapping story lines. Now? Im glad the ideas dead.
Flag
I think if Christine Milioti (sp) had been attached that might have been the only shot this had, even knowing it ends badly, but after the big "FU" directed at the fanbase at the end of "How I Met Your Aunt Robin" I really wasn't interested in getting involved in another Carter/Bays production anyways. It would have been Disa...wait for it... Pointing.
Flag
*Bays/Thomas
Flag
Cheers to everyone now that HIMYD won't happen.
Flag
Aw, what a shame.
Flag
That what you get for writing a finale that's a giant middle finger to your fans.
Flag
Crazy to suggest the writers purposely wanted to insult fans.
Flag
Purposely insulting or arrogantly disregarding the fans: the result is the same.
Flag
How I Met Your Dad and Supernatural Bloodlines aren't appearing next fall? Dreams really do come true.
Flag
Better off this way.
I don't think it would have worked so well anyway...
Flag
I liked th entire run of HIMYM all the way to end, but it wasn't the gimmick, it was the great cast and the writing.

Since HIMYD had a new cast, I had no reason to support it... but also no reason to hate it before even seeing it.
Flag
Exactly. This assuming something is going to be bad nonsense is puzzling
Flag
The best news I got today was the content of this article. The second best news I got today was the info that Bloodlines also did not receive an order which was also content of this article. Sound reasoning suggests then that this was a very good article!

Seriously guys, so great!
Flag
I wasn't gonna watch anyway.
Flag
What other shows aren't you going to watch? We are all interested in this information
Flag
You want me to give you a list? Alphabetical or chronological order? ;)
Flag
People don't want to see a spin-off where the characters they're invested in don't appear
There's this woman called Xena Warrior Princess that wants to have a word with you...
Flag
I think Laverne, Shirley, and Mork might also disagree somewhat. Plus, um, The Simpsons.
Flag
Staff
Laverne, Shirley, and Mork were all introduced on Happy Days and then given their own spin-offs. HIMYD would have been entirely new characters never-before-seen on HIMYM.

Bloodlines introduced characters specifically as a backdoor pilot, which is slightly different, but it still holds.

Flag
The claim was that "People don't want to see a spin-off where the characters they're invested in don't appear"
Laverne and Shirley was spun off from Happy Days, and none of the Happy Days characters appeared on Laverne and Shirley. Mork was launched from Happy Days, and his show isn't even set in the same era as Happy Days.
Apparently, there WAS a time when people were willing to watch a spin-off in which the original characters don't appear. There's examples both ways... Three's a Crowd was a dud WITH one of the original characters, while The Jeffersons did just fine with none of the "All in the Family" characters.
I pulled examples from history, but there's no shortage of spinoff series that do fine without characters from the original... Law & Order, NCIS and CSI both spawned multiple offshoots which found viewers. The Flash will test the model next season.
Flag
Thanks for the throwback!
Flag
Staff
Xena is the exception, not the rule. But didn't she at least appear on Hercules in a short arc before being spun-off or am I remembering that wrong?
Flag
Ha speaking of Xena that's a prime example of a spin-off that was much better than the original. Man I don't know how I loved Hercules when I was little but watching it again boy was it lame compared to Xena. At least Xena and Gabby saw some real action not just punching people, whoa, and dude Callisto was probably one of the best villains of any show.
Flag
Yes, they gave her a 2 episode arc as a backdoor pilot. Which is pretty much the same as they did for Bloodlines...

I agree that it's much rarer to happen, but it could work. Didn't Soul Man start from Hot in Clevland?
Flag
Yes she did. Good times.
Flag
We all saw it coming. Disappointing fans never gets you far. It doesn't matter how realistic you want your shows to be be, in the end the its a show and fans want a happy ending.

I am glad Cristin Milioti found another show. I can't wait to see her again. I too liked the season nine because I felt Robin and Barney were right for each other. The finale ruined it for me.
Flag
"I felt Robin and Barney were right for each other. "

Despite the show taking nine years to show you that Barney isn't right for anybody?
Flag
Exactly the same can be said about Robin.
Flag
Why are you assuming Robin and Ted actually worked out? Romantism and realism was key in this show
Flag
In their ambiguous ending, I don't believe they made it.

As for realism, in real life 50% of marriages don't work. Romanticism is rare these days or short lived. We entertain yourself with such shows which takes us to the place where soul mates and happy ending exists. It gives us hope for our own happy ending. I live vicariously through these shows. That's why I hated the finale.
Flag
I never liked the idea of that spin-off. HIMYM was great but all good things must come to an end.
Flag
I loved HIMYM, and was looking forward to the spin-off. But life will go on without another sitcom about a bunch of twenty-something friends in a metropolitan city trying to find love.
Flag
I would be so in. I actually liked the finale, but the rest of season 9... or like 7-9 was terrible. So a HIMYD couldnt disappoint me but only be better.
Flag
Oh man, so now I don't get to watch the series about how #31 meets Barney Stinson?

after the fiasco that was the last 2min 55sec of the HIMYM series finale, the was no way I was going to watch this anyways.
Flag
Thank God! I thought it was a horrible idea the moment I heard about it. I hope the other networks pass on it as well.
Flag
Here's another thing I don't get, why would Bays / Thomas want to rehash the same idea? The kernel of the original show's genius was that it reflected a unique mindset they had when they moved from NY to LA and looked back on their times here. That idea is done now, can't they come up with something else at this point? We would like to respect them as writers, isn't it time to create something entirely new? (Something that isn't The Goodwin Games.)
Flag
basically they didnt succeed in any other shows and i think they hoped they would make the same success on a rehashed project

Oliver Beene was cancelled after two season on Fox

The Goodwin Games was delayed for too long and then cancelled after airing
Flag
They only wrote on Oliver Beene, they weren't creators there.
Flag
Writing is creating though. In their case, taking someone's idea and running with it to develop its premise and characters. I never heard of Oliver Beene. I guess they fell at the start?
Flag
That's not "creator" though, writing can be a creative endeavor but it is not what the industry recognizes as "creator". That is a specific title defined as the person who started the show, who is the genesis of the series. They weren't that role on Oliver Beene, they didn't create the concept of the show.
Flag
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_beene

2 seasons. It wasn't bad, but it was too similar to "The Wonder Years"
Flag
To quote the prophets Shawn & Gus, "suuuuuuck ittttt!" If the network didn't have faith in this pilot after a duo that brought them 9 years of ratings success put their efforts in, that pilot must have been crap in a hat.

I pity any network that is foolish enough to pick this series up.

To answer your question, I never had any interest in HIMYD, it looked terrible the whole time. AND I ONCE SAT THROUGH 'THE ROEPERS'!
Flag
good move, CBS... here's hoping all other networks are smart enough to pass as well.
Flag
I read somewhere Eliza Dushku was reading/auditioning for a part in this...May have watched it if she was in it. If they really wanted to kill this off give Christian Slater a part
Flag
Yeah, with Slater's last train wreck being "Mind Games," I bet the series wouldn't even make it to the midseason.
Flag
I am trying to decide which was the worse Mr Slater tv death knell..My own worst enemy OR The Forgotten...If you want a decent Jekyll and Hyde show(instead of M.o.w.e) find a uk show call Jekyll starring James Nesbit
Flag
Thank god. There was no need for this show in the first place. Unless the pilot was all kinds of god-awful terribleness, I do have to give Carter and Bays credit for wanting to stick with their vision even if the network didn't see it. Now I don't have to worry about feeling any lingering feelings of obligation.
Flag
Why do I remember that this was picked up a few weeks ago? That's weird.
Flag
It was mentioned in the CBS pickups article that it hadn't been picked up yet, perhaps that's why.
Flag
Ah, yes, that unique format of mostly-white mostly-twenty-something mostly singles hanging out being funny around a table-or-counter. Unique. Completely unlike Friends or Happy Endings or Cheers and definitely more than one word-changed removed from TBBT or New Girl or Seinfeld or Rules of Engagement.
Flag
Staff
You've clearly misunderstood what I meant by format. I was referring to the show telling the story through flashbacks and flashforwards, which was quite unique when the show premiered.
Flag
I thought you might mean that, but I couldn't resist, and it's been less than a week since I last picked on someone for saying Lost's use of flashbacks to tell a story was unique, so that would have felt repetitive *cough*highlander*cough*
Flag
here's an idea . a show called

" How i Cancelled your Favorite Show "

starring Fox's Peter Rice, ABC's Paul Lee , NBC's Stephen B. Burke and Hosted By CBS's Leslie Moonves

where every Friday , They get Calls from every angry Fan swearing and Heavy Breathing through the entire hour of the show
Flag
Staff

Flag
Tbh, I was just looking forward to having a show with a regular gay couple that wasn't Mitch + Cam.
Flag
Ricky Martin and Lance Bass in the Bromatic Comedy " How i met your Brother "

but seeing that CBS holds on the Family Values , they would pass on any show like that
Flag
No ma'am. Let it die on the vine
Flag
And then kill the vine. With fire.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members