A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

I started watching HIMYM last year when I bought the first two seasons on a discount. Because I was going to get a surgery and had to lay in bed for two weeks, I needed something to watch, besides my regular shows. I fell in love with the show within the first episode and in the next few weeks I bought all other seasons and re-watched them like 7 times within a year. (Awesome is now my favorite word and I nearly use it with everything)

So like most fans, I started fresh on season 9 and like most fans I had a mixed reaction on this very long wedding weekend. I loved every scene with mother though and she was an extremely welcome addition to the group, and had an amazing chemistry with the cast.

When I watched last nights episode, I liked it, but the episode felt very rushed and actually out of place with the rest of the season.

I didn’t mind that Tracy (love her name btw) died and I even liked it that Ted wanted to give his relationship with Robin another chance, but they should’ve gradually built it up over the season… not just in one episode, and certainly not one episode after Ted declared that he and Robin basically would never work.

If I would’ve had the chance to rewrite season 9, It would’ve gone like this….

-First I would’ve made this season 16 episodes long, instead of 24. The series and the story would’ve ended in a beautiful 200 streak.

-The season would been split in 2, 8 episodes in the fall, 8 episodes in the spring.

-The first 8 episodes would’ve revolved around the wedding. With the first episode of the season been the episode of the mother, so the fans would get to know her.

-She would appear in the rest of the episodes in small flashforwards, or just in the background minding her own business.

-In episode 8 Robin and Barney would’ve gotten married and the episode would’ve ended with Ted on the train station, seeing Tracy, but not meeting her yet.

-Then after the midseason hiatus… the last eight episodes would’ve taken place in various important points in their lives.

-We would see and understand why Barney and Robin divorced, the pressure of her work and Barney’s commitment issue’s.

-We would see the courtship of Ted and Tracy, the day Ted proposed, their very long engagement, the birth of their children.

-We would see the mother get sick and see Ted heartbroken when she passed away.

-Meanwhile we would see story’s of Marshall and Lily and their growing family. Barney becoming a father and Robin seeing the price of her career.

-After Tracy passed away, we see Robin becoming close to Teds kids. Not trying to replace their mother, but just be there for them and Ted. (Hence the drawings of the kids and their aunt Robin) In the next six years Ted gradually falls back in love with Robin and vice versa.

-At the start of last episode Ted would’ finish telling the story and after the kids tell to go after aunt Robin, we would see the scene the real show ended with.

-Then the episode moves forward to 2040, the day that Penny gets married. The kids will be played by the now adult Lyndsy Fonseca and David Henrie.

-While Penny is waiting in her room, Ted, Luke and Robin join her. Penny and Luke would let Robin know how important she became in their lives after the death of their mother and how glad they are that she makes their dad happy.

-Then when Ted walks his daughter down the aisle, the scene moves around the gang.

-We will see flashbacks of Marshall, Lily, Barney and Robin. Each of them smiling and realizing that even after all those years, they are still close friends.

-Then it moves back to Ted and we will see a montage of Ted and Tracy. In the end Ted mutters to himself: “You were worth to wait”

-The scene then flashes back to Farhampton and we would finally see Ted meeting the mother.

This is how I would’ve written the final season and episode of How I Met Your Mother.

Even though season 9 wasn’t what I would’ve liked it to be, I would still watch it over and over with the rest of the seasons. Because I love the gang and this show will keep a place in my heart and my dvd case...

How would you have written season 9 and the finale?
Comments (49)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Apr 14, 2014
Honestly - there NEVER should have been a season 9 at all. At the end of season 8 there should have been a one hour series final with the wedding and reception ending with Ted meeting Tracy at the train station - roll credits.
Flag
Apr 05, 2014
Every scene in the finale deserved its own episode. I would have had the wedding be there first three or four episodes of the season and then the rest of the season set in the future.
Flag
Apr 05, 2014
I would have loved this rewrite :)
Flag
Apr 05, 2014
yeah your version is much more better.
BTW i dont really have any objection with the ending from the original show because i always in ted/robin team...
Flag
Apr 03, 2014
That sounds really cool. :)
Still not really content with Barney becoming a father because of a one night stand and Ted and Robin getting together but that way it would have been nicer.
Flag
Apr 03, 2014
http://www.change.org/petitions/cbs-rewrite-and-reshoot-the-himym-ending
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
Bob Saget is how I would have changed the ending. I think his presence would be a big enough joke that it would've been hard to take the ending seriously.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
WHY COULDN'T YOU HAVE BEEN THE WRITER!?!?!?!
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
I remember the first time I watched this, it was a lazy Sunday afternoon and something to watch where I didn't have to use my head too much, after a night out. I thought it was ok, not focusing on it properly and then I caught a few random episodes and that was it.

Then I spoke to someone about it and decided to watch it properly and loved it and started to watch it religiously. I think it is a show that you can identify with and I certainly related to Ted's character as I was in similar situations, that's life and relationships after all.

It was strange because although I identified with Ted, my personal circumstances ended up with me turning into a Barney though I still reeled for Ted, hoping he would get what he was looking for because to me it seemed impossible.

Anyway, to the show.

I was so happy when he got to meet Tracy, it gave hope and I thought this was brilliant and perfect for him. It would have been nice to see more of her and their life together but we got the condensed version which provided all the necessary details.

I cannot believe she died, I would not have put this in, the happy ending would have been better and I am usually pro unhappy ending as it is more true to life, not everything ends well but maybe that's what angle they were going for.

Though in saying that, he ends up with Robyn, getting a happy ending but it irked me, even though before Tracy came along I had hoped they would get together permanently .

I would have had Tracy maybe get ill but recover and they live happily ever after, not have brought Robyn back into it, cant believe the French horn was still kicking about, I wonder if the restaurant was still running :p

Great show, I loved it and enjoyed the trials and tribulations over the years as I have lived my own life whilst following the gang of HIMYM.
More+
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
nicole12890 .. thank you for this review .. I loved the end but i would love it more if it didnt end :( ..
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
I posted this in another thread but it's more relevant here:

I'm in the I loved it camp but I think they could have handled the last season better.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen the last season split into 2.

The first half being the lead up to the wedding with the midseason finale being the wedding and ending with the moment Ted saw the Mother on stage playing base.

The 2nd half of the season would have had whole episodes devoted to these storylines most of which occurred in the last 1 hour episode:

1. The Real Reason for Barney and Robin's Divorce: I would have rewritten the Barney love child story to tie into Barney and Robin's Divorce and thus tying into Robin's inability to have children. Barney discovers he has a love child that he fathered before getting back together with Robin. Seeing how much Barney loves his child and knowing she can never give him children Robin throws herself into her job and they drift apart before deciding to divorce. In the finale the Robin and Barney divorce seemed forced to fit the final scenes. I have no problem with those final scenes but with how Barney's character developed I wanted to see a "real" reason for their divorce.

2. More storylines with the Mother and examining those near misses Ted and the Mother had before they finally met. As told from the Mother's point of view.

3. Another wedding, this time Ted and the Mother.

4. The Mother getting sick and finally passing away. I think that would have had me crying like a little girl if done right. HIMYM was always good at the emotional side of its stories so they could easily have devoted a whole episode or 2 to this story.

5. Robin returning to comfort Ted through his grief and how they reconnected and became friends and ultimately fell in love again which finally ended with the last few scenes we saw in the finale. The kids giving their blessing and Ted standing at Robin's doorstep with the Blue Horn. You could have included a blessing from Barney in their somewhere as well just to check all the boxes and really end on a good note, like a reverse of Ted giving Barney his blessing.

You could easily have filled 8-10 episodes with what occurred after the wedding from that 1 hour finale. Don't get me wrong, I loved it. I guess I just wanted more of what I saw and I mean that in a good way. I have most of the season's on DVD so I will be completing the collection and then rewatching from the beginning.
More+
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
Why rewrite it? The last 3 seasons have been a train wreck! Seems only fitting the finale is also one!
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
The problem isn't how Ted and Robin got together or even that they did get together.

It's that the writers build up the exact opposite.
What was the point of having the previous episode tell us that Ted finally hears Robin tells him she wants him and him saying to the kids "You know how you always want to hear something... and then you do and you realize you don't want it as much?"

How does that fit in the finale?
Does it even make any sort of sense that he is telling this to the kids a few minutes earlier and now they think she is the one for him?
He just told them that he doesn't really want her.

The finale simply didn't fit the rest of the season. Kaitlin nailed it 100% in her review of the episode. The problem is the ending is what the makers thought of when they first did the show - but the show evolved beyond that and they needed to make the ending fit where its at and not where it used to be.

Either the finale had to change or the last season needed to change.
This is where the ending of the season should have gone:

"And then in that bus stop, I met your mother. You see kids, if I hadn't chased Robin with the french horn all those years ago, she would have never joined the gang, she would have never met Barney and I would have never met your mother at their wedding.

Sometimes it's the littlest things in life that change our lives forever, because it's not about the destination, it's about the journey
"

More+
Flag
Apr 03, 2014
Yes, that exactly.
A bit more built up and I would have bought Ted x Robin. Not like this, I did not like it and until I read your comment I couldn't imagine how they could have made it. But yes, that's it - the finale would have been okay, if the season had been different.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
This x 1000.

The show has been treading water for the last 3 seasons but I liked the shakeup this season. Then the finale happened and reversed everything. It's a rare show that makes me this upset that I wasted so much time so I guess HIMYM has that going for it.

It's a good thing this was the finale because I have no desire to ever see another episode.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
The just got jealous of Friends at the last that managed to get Ross and Rachel together in the end and wanted to do the same. But still, what did you expect? The writing has been terrible for years now with one out of 3 episodes which would be mildly entertaining at best.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
I thought the last season was a bit less terrible than the previous ones (minus the finale)

I would say it's far more like the Dawson's Creek finale (which one will Joey pick?) than the Friends finale. But regardless, there's a huge difference.

In Friends, you always saw that Ross and Rachel still have feelings for each other. They didn't give you an episode - one right before the finale mind you - where they let each other go...

The thing... there is a bad finale that people would be disappointed with (See: Lost) and then there's a horrible finally.
The kind of horrible finale that completely pisses at the very premise of the show itself (See: Dexter)
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
I would have also had a scene where Ted looks up to the sky and asks Tracy for her permission to move on, just like she did when she looked up and asked her deceased boyfriend if it was ok for her to move on. Since they had those type of life similarities, I think it would have been more fitting to see things like that....BEFORE he just went to Robin.

Flag
Apr 05, 2014
I would have loved to see a huge gust of wind as Ted was standing outside of Robin's window with the blue french horn.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
I like how you broke it down. Nice and neat. Orderly. I respect the hell out of that.

What I didn't like about the finale of the show was that "How I met Your Mother" came off as a cover story for "How I want to be with Robin". The mother was nothing more than a cover story.

To see the why and how Ted got to that point after the mother died. ...would make sense. To know that Robin is a better person and more capable of having an adult relationship and she isn't going to run away....that would have made sense too.

Honestly, I didn't think that Barney and Robin's wedding was worth an entire season. They weren't worth that much attention.

I would have spent maybe a couple episodes on their wedding. And like you said, spend the last half of the season of how they met, fell in love and Ted's life up to the end of him telling the story. Show how Ted and Robin got to care for one another again "Like that".

Because, as it stands now, the show obviously and was clearly stated that the story was never about how he met the mother, but about how he wanted to be with Robin. So....why not have a story instead called: "How I Met Your MOther, fell in love, had two kids, lived 10 years with and then came to love Robin again."

I mean, if you are going to stay with the original idea (the mother dying and Ted and Robin get together) then why not SHOW that?

I will also be blunt, but I didn't really care too much about what happened to Marshall and Lilly in the finale, unless it had direct correlation to Ted, the mother, and/or Ted and Robin's relationship.

Personally, I would have rather have seen Ted romance someone completely new at the end. Someone who we saw momentarily in a previous season or episode. A minor character, through random events, just never worked between Ted and that girl. A woman who we weren't really against or for, but someone that at least gave us hope that Ted could find a new someone.
More+
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
Seems overanalyzed. I don't think we needed them to spell out everything (for ex. Ted redeveloping feelings for Robin) and I don't think we need to see his daughter's wedding (too sitcom cliche for me). My only problem was the fact that every episode took place during one weekend (that's great, I want to know a lot about it but everything from the weekend is interesting). I thought the finale was perfect (only change I would make is perhaps to make it two hours long).

Here's what I would have done differently from the show:

They let all of the momentum out of the show by revealing the mother way too early. When you're running a show like this, you want to keep their attention until near the end. I think it was a smart idea to bring the mother awhile before the end so we can find out about her (and they proved that; the casting of Miloti was a huge success and every scene she had was great). So I would have replaced her appearance in last season's finale with another cliffhanger instead.

I would have had three settings for the season:
A. May 2013 Wedding Weekend: this would lead up to Barney and Robin getting married

B. Present day: post May 2013 to May 2014: Ted's already met the mother and was unable to make it happen; he's back in NYC with his friends hanging out at McClaren's doing like most seasons before. Tracy's still involved with Louis and this would tell the story of how Ted eventually was able to court the mother. There would have been an intense love triangle.

C. The future: Ted and the mother have already gotten together and this would be more like several of the flashforwards in the episode. We'd see the first date, the proposal, birthday's of his kids celebrated, other character's accomplishments and careers etc. with an overdose of that in the finale. This would lead up to the reveal of Ted in 2030 in the finale.

The season should have started with four episodes set during the wedding weekend (A), then four in (B), then in about November sweeps have an episode featuring the mother's face for the first time as a flashback. From this point on the series would use the momentum and feature the mother often during (A) and (B). (i would not have had Tracy meet everyone before Ted as that was so cliche)

All in all about ten of the episodes would be in (A), nine in (B), and then five for (C). Many from (A) would be narrated by Ted from (B), and the same for (B) and (C). They would go back and tie together certain objects/issues/stories between each time.
More+
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
I really don't like how Ted and Robin got back together in the end but its possible that if the time between the wedding and the end of the series was more fleshed out, it could have been better.

If not, I would probably have had 2-3 episodes after the wedding to fill in the life of Ted and the mother before she died, and then end with the kids about to go off to college, which I believe is the earliest that we see Ted and Marshal. So it would be a sendoff for the kids to find their own relationships. And I would just leave out the part where Robin and Barney get divorced. Instead Barney and Robin have a kid(future medical miracle or adoption) and Barney reacts the same way he did in the real finale.

The problem with having Ted back with Robin after she divorced Barney is that the show spent so much time on their wedding and their transformation into people who cared about each other and were more mature. Its just not good character development to reverse everything after that much work.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
I think that would have been a good way to do the last season except the hiatus in the middle of the season I'm not a fan of hiatus.
and i don't really agree with the following 3 points:

"In episode 8 Robin and Barney would’ve gotten married and the episode would’ve ended with Ted on the train station, seeing Tracy, but not meeting her yet."
At this point Ted on the platform Ted meet the Mother like it was on the real show"
"-Then it moves back to Ted and we will see a montage of Ted and Tracy. In the end Ted mutters to himself: “You were worth to wait” "
If we are in 2040 it means that Ted is with Robin for 10 years now so showing him with Tracy would have been weird and not nice for Robin.
"
-The scene then flashes back to Farhampton and we would finally see Ted meeting the mother."
Like i said above Ted had met the Mother long before, now would have been weird.
On the last episode we could have Penny tn a room with Ted as the was preparing herself for the ceremony telling him how much she would have wanted that the Mother to be there.
And the last scene could have been the gang together happy and smiling watching Penny and her newly husband dancing and in the background we could have Luke and Lily, and Marshal and Barney's children.

Argh it make me sad thinking of it.
I like the show a lot even if sometime it was a little to long and I'm happy with how it ended but I would have prefer that the writers did not rush the end.
Anyway I'll watch the whole show again soon, all nine season together. Maybe during this summer as most of my shows are on break.
More+
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
Reading it again, after the rollercoaster of feelings i was having last night, you are right about that last point.

I think now, that I would change it to flashbacks of Ted of his life, until that moment that he met Tracy. Then the scene flashes back to that moment and then back to Ted, looking at his daughter getting married and saying: "Everything was worth it"
I really find it important to have Ted meeting Tracy to be one of the last scenes, it just seems right. :)
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
Agreed, if he is with Robin in your version the whole "you were worth the wait" seems confusing and out of place.
Flag
Apr 01, 2014
wow. That was a great rewrite for the ending they had. Outcomes stayed the same but it would have given the emotional depth.
Flag
Apr 01, 2014
Also would have liked to see what happened with Lilly, Barney, and Ted's career.
Flag
Apr 01, 2014
I have no issues with the outcome, I just have issues with how it played out. It all happened way too quick. I wish Barney and Robin got married at about episode 18 of the season, and they gave each flashforward it's own episode.

I'm was disappointed that they didn't go more into the mothers death. Yeah it's sad but it would have been interesting to see how Ted and the rest of the gang interacted at that tough time. Also disappointed they never dove into the Robin bull fighting incident and I wish they concluded the series with them all on the front porch in 2050 or whenever. Had they ended the show after part 1 there wouldn't be all these questions, but since they added part 2 I felt as if more time was needed to make that jump.

All in all I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to watch this show for so long. It's been one hell of a ride. I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that the show is over.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
"I wish they gave each flashforward it's own episode"

Great idea.
Flag
Staff
Apr 01, 2014
I LOVE your version of the finale! Well done.
Flag
Apr 01, 2014
Great job Nicole! I actually welled up a pinch!
Flag
Apr 01, 2014
This actually would've made for an awesome final season, the whole rushing part was really what lead to the majority of viewers being disappointed but I wasn't too disappointed myself. This episode honored what we loved about the characters (although Lily cried like every scene) and gave us goosebump tracy/ted scenes like the one on the platform. It made me cry and that's really all I wished for; a touchy ending and something that felt like a goodbye which you don't always get.
Flag
Apr 01, 2014
Maybe it's easy to submit this now, having seen how poorly the actual Season 9 came across. But, holy crap would this have made for an awesome Season 9! And, it would not diminish the relationship between Ted and the Mother in any way. Well done nicole12890.
Flag
Apr 01, 2014
I would've just left it the way it was, just after Ted said, "...And that, kids, is how I met your mother." Fade to black. (Having set the story being told soon after her funeral).
Flag
Staff
Apr 01, 2014
they mentioned the mother had passed 6 years prior.
Flag
Apr 01, 2014
I know, that's why I said I would have set the series soon after her funeral, as opposed to 6 years later.
Flag
Staff
Apr 01, 2014
wow. Would have made Ted seem insensitive. Which we know Teddy Westside is far from.
Flag
Apr 01, 2014
Not really. In my view, Ted would have been telling the story of how long it took to meet the mother, and although they weren't together long (only 11 years), that it didn't matter, because theirs was a love that transcended everything, that made all the shitty things worth it, and made him realise, in the end, that the love he had for Robin was nothing compared to the love he had for the Mother. I feel that it would have reassured his kids who'd just lost their mother that their parents love was an epic one.
I just feel that the way the series actually ended was a bit disrespectful to the Mother as a character, and kind of to the kids as well.
Flag
Staff
Apr 01, 2014
This is perfect.

Except for the part about splitting season 9 with a hiatus in the middle.
I will never like that.
Flag
Apr 01, 2014
Dear God... Reading this gave goosebumps. It would have been an awesome season 9 this way... Why on earth didn't you write the season 9? Magnificent approach, really, congrats!!!!!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members