A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)
I think some people are completely missing the point of this ending and the meaning of the whole show.

Firstly, we need to remember that those kids grew up knowing their mother until the age of about 10.They knew all about how deeply their parents loved each other.They were probably grossed out by how totally and openly they displayed their love.Then they were witness to their father’s devastation at their mothers passing – a horrible time in their lives that they all shared together.As the next 6 years passed they all slowly learnt together how to exist in this cruel world without their beautiful loving mother and wife.

That night on that couch those kids didn’t need to hear a long drawn out story about their parents and how much they loved each other, and how wonderful their mother was.They knew all that. They’d been witness to it all their lives, and they’d heard most of their stories before.

This show wasn’t about Ted and Tracy’s amazing love for each other, or their life together.This show was about one night, just one night in their lives when Ted sat his kids down to ask them a difficult question – “Do you think it would be ok if I dated your Aunt Robin.”

Because of this, Ted felt he first needed to tell his kids some of the things they didn’t know, like how much history him and Robin had together - some of the romantic stuff they hadn’t heard before, to help justify what he was about to ask.
When you think about it this way it all makes perfect sense, and in a way is the perfect ending.I’ve never cried so much during a sitcom episode in my life - both happy and sad tears.It was tragic, gut-wrenching stuff.Simply brilliant writing.
It’s ironic that one of the criticisms of show is now no longer valid.The one that questions why Ted would be telling his kids the inappropriate story about how he chased after their Aunt Robin all his young life.Now that we’ve seen the ending the whole story works even better than before.

I understand that we, the viewers, wanted to see and hear more about the mother, and maybe we even deserved to see more of her, as we’d invested so much time in watching the show. But we don’t always get what we want in this life.Ted and Tracy didn’t get to grow old together, and yet they treasured the time they did have together.That’s something we all should remember at times when we’re angry with a special person in our life.

Please fellow fans, try to remember when re-watching it, that this show is not about the mother, or Ted and Tracy’s undying love.That was never in dispute.It’s about one awkward conversation between a father and his kids.
69 Comments
Comments (34)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm just going to repeat your title: I’ve Never Cried So Much During a Sitcom Episode in My Life!

Before watching HIMYM I was on a loop with Friends (because I love Friends). Some friend of mine told, years ago: "Hey... if you love Friends so much, you should watch HIMYM!" And I never listened, until December 2015 when I watched the first episode.

It was love at first sight! I just fell deeply in love with the characters and the stories, everything so perfect!

So... I’ve Never Cried So Much During a Sitcom Episode in My Life! Not even with Friends, that I still love very much.

I cried like a baby, like I've never cried in a long long long time! I cried because it was the end and because of the story itself. I cried....

I'm happy because I got to experience this beautiful piece of TV art.

Thank you HIMYM for existing, and now for being part of my life.

Now I can enjoy loops of Friends and HIMYM, and that's awesome! :-)
Flag
I get what you're saying, but the thing that makes me most frustrated is that we have spent 9 years seeing Ted develop and see him get over Robin and become this different person and then he suddenly just goes full circle with the whole blue french horn thing. Same for Barney. He spends years becoming a better person, falling and being in love and then when he and Robin get a divorce he suddenly goes back to his old self like nothing happened those past years. Also Robin totally screwed Lily, they could've easily stayed in touch without Barney and Ted wih them but instead Robin chooses to be selfish and just leave Lily behind. It all just seemed to me like they wanted to make it perfect and like everything will turn out how you want to in the end (at least that's how it felt to me) although we've spent the past 9 years learning how not everything turns out how you planned it. Just my opinion, no hate to you.
Flag
I really want to thank u GeeZed. You've described it the way I see the sense of the whole story. And I'm satisfied that it's now told. because i was a little disappointed by the reactions of the fans, and when i heard that there was massive critic on this ending of the series (sry for my english). I only wonder about the personal view of Ted over the 17 years between the wedding of Barney and Robin and the year 2030. I wonder if he had forgotten Robin in this time, or if he always loved Tracy and Robin at the same time. Or if he just needed Tracy's love to get ready for the love with Robin (for example: he wanted children, which Robin is unable to give him, but in 2030 Tracy had given him kids)...I think that's up to the viewers. However, I'm really happy with this ending, I also cried a lot during the last two episodes.
But as a big HIMYM fan it hurts me to see that there exist two endings, that's even not what that great series deserves. But I also have seen this alternative ending. Not that I don't love the original ending, and even if it hurts me to say this, but I like the alternative ending much more, I think it would fit better. I love both endings, but I hate at the same time that there exist two endings.

More+
Flag
Having just crammed all nine seasons into the last month, i have to agree with GeeZed. While a thousand different endings could have been written, we were given this one. And to be honest, i liked it. I'll always wonder what if, but if i spent too much time wondering, i could have missed the whole point behind this story's choice of conclusion.

Its easy to find a little part of myself in each and every one of the characters and along with them i did shed more than a tear at the end, but while the last 5 minutes did come as a saddening surprise, it did remind me that there is hope for everyone, even the Barney's and Robin's of the world.

A show this good will always be tough to end in a way everyone feels satisfied (ok Six Feet Under did 'Nail It') but that's not a bad thing. Life never ends with a fairy tale finish either, and while Ted and the rest of our favorite five were chasing it, they also knew their limitations and so did the show.
Flag
I've never really thought about it this way. I wasn't that happy with the finale, but that's only because things didn't work out the way I hoped they would, not because it was a bad ending. However I can't help but think that Ted never really loved the mother, at least not as much as he ever loved aunt Robin. He'd been in love with her right up until Barney and Robin were married, and even after a happy marriage with the mother he's STILL in love with her. So if the mother hadn't of died, and Robin moved back to New York, would the feelings he had for her still be there? And the thing that got me the most about the finale is that 9 seasons of development on Barney's character was almost completely trashed in 10 seconds of footage. I'm just so glad we had the beautiful moment with him and his daughter to make up for it all. Overall I was both happy and a little disappointed with the ending of this show. And thanks for giving us a review which actually focuses on all of the things that were right with it, and not just the things that were wrong. :)
More+
Flag
But still, i don't get it, why was this ending so rough, made my tears fall off, my eyes are getting hurt and i wish that CBS WILL TAKE a new season, HIMYM S10 PLEASE COME! I don't want you to end up like this, i loved the show, and i still love it, but the ending wasn't that good for the series, so CBS, Im telling straight to you, if you want that your people save your respect, then please make another season with an better ending and make it good.
Flag
Finally a review that "gets it." Good work, GeeZed.
Flag
people can go about defending the ending until 2030 if they want. It doesn't change the fact that it was one of the worst written series finales of a show of it's lenght, ever to have been produced. Not because the ending sucked, but because the execution was a total mess.

"It’s about one awkward conversation between a father and his kids." Excuse me, but no, its not. The scenes with the kids where just bookend seconds of some episodes to make it stand out from the general sitcom. The show was about a single guy looking for love, while naviganting life with the help of his friends.
And the final episode had almost a decade of character development annuled, in addition to crapping all over the concept of the final season, AND violating the viewers' mind and sentiments, by letting dad go running off to his (judging from the finale it self) crazy ex, just seconds after revealing the death of the mother.
That's just a prime example of bad writing, production, and television.
Flag
I agree with all of this.
I liked the end.
i understand people being upset about the creators not being able to change from their original plan, but it works, well for me at least.
the last image of the show and the credits right away melted my heart.
Flag
There was a wild fan theory that once predicted that Ted had a One Night Stand with The Mother, and as he was sneaking out the kids caught him and he had to explain himself as to why he was there. (This was predicted around season 4. We weren't 100% certain these kids were TED'S kids until season 7) I actually think this might've been funnier than the crap ending we actually got. (I've explained many times why I thought ending it with Ted getting with Robin sucked. I'm ok with the Mother being dead, but if the story was really all about Ted moving on, then he should've gone out with literally ANYONE else instead of the woman he spent AN ENTIRE SEASON moving on from.)
Flag
I understand all that, but that's where the difference lies. The 2030 version of Ted and the kids have had 6 years to go through her death, process it, come to whatever terms they can about it. We, as the audience, had a matter of minutes. All we got was Ted say she got sick. No seeing them comfort him.

Plus, we don't get to see Robin reconnect with the gang. She essentially phased herself out, to the point that Ted's kids don't know her and they comment on how rare it is to get a sighting of her. For all we know, Robin is still globetrotting and doesn't want kids. So how does a relationship with them work? I can accept them ending up together, but there was a lot I needed to see before I could buy it.
Flag
Don't forget that the kids mentioned that aunt Robin have been visiting them to have some dinners, which means she is apparently settled down in NY (otherwise, she wouldn't have so many dogs to take care).
Flag
Probably, but how did they reconnect? I know how I would react if I had a friend that had done what Robin did, and I just needed to see more to fully buy into it.
Flag
Finally a rare good review with a fresh perspective. Good one there Friend! I share the same thought.
Flag
Finally a review that captured the essence of HIMYM: which father would tell to his kids a story about how he met their mother and keep saying about his feelings about aunt Robin over and over?
I'd say that is the only ending that makes perfect sense. Maybe a whole season about the wedding was not the best choice, but even so, it keeps bringing the whole "Ted and Robin" story, even 10 minutes before she gets to the altar.
Thanks GeeZed,and congrats for the review!
Flag
I read another post somewhere that mentioned how when you are telling a story, you start with a lot of interesting tidbits, but once you get closer to the ending of the story (how I met your mother, in this case) you start to expand the details and create more of a setting around the crux of the story. So, since he met their mother at the time of Barney and Robin's wedding, it totally makes sense that the most detail would lie there. And detail, equals a whole season taking place over the course of a weekend.
Flag
I understand that. However, if this is all a premise to "ask the permission" of the children to call Robin and ask her out, all these details were not necessary. I would agree with you, if in the end he still married with the mother. I liked very much of how the show ended, but it was very painful to get through this season.
Flag
It just makes me sad that they were only 10 when they lost their mother!!!! I understand that for a story they had to kill her off and yes i cried my freaking eyes out!!!! But I still think that the fact that they made a fact that every time Ted and Robin were together it didn't work. They made a point of Ted saying in the previous episode that he didn't love her like that anymore! And after they barely saw her for years how were his kids supposed to know her so well, they said that they barely saw her and then they love her so much that they are all for her and their dad to get together. And I think that if they had showed her come back into his life and that they spent more time together then maybe it wouldn't have felt like such a huge punch to the face for him to end up with Robin. The creators had an image for the ending 9 years ago and I just don't think that the way the season went was enough justification to throw all their character development out the window to end back a square one, except now they are older and he has kids!!!
More+
Flag
When Ted talked to Robin 10 minutes prior to her wedding he was lying through his teeth just because he didn't want to spoil the whole thing for her and Barney, like the good and caring friend he is.
Point is he was so much over Robin that he was leaving for Chicago the following day only not to have to be around her and Barney as a married couple!
Only when he met the Mother he totally went over Robin
Flag

I get that, and from the kids perspective I'd be okay with that finale. As you said, they knew their mother and the relationship she had had with their father.

WE didn't. Not really. What if Ted's children had no memory of her? Then it would be kind of cruel to start a story that seemed to be about the mother they've never known and turns out to be all about Dad's new girlfriend instead.

There's a point at which a switcheroo works in a story, but after an expanse of time, it's more like the storyteller is canceling out the journey altogether. Nine years is too long to end up right back at the beginning. It just makes Ted look like he's doing exactly what Tracy asked him not to do, living in the past.

Flag
Well, i already written a little analyzation in another comment. But i can't say anything else than i understand those who think it failed, i had to see it twice to get it. But after watching it a second time i had to admit i think it is a pretty deep ending, i feel the episode deals with the fact that Ted actually had to wait for this moment to be with Robin. Ted is an easy going guy, while Robin is a wildfire even Barney couldn't keep up with her speed in life, and at the end she finally slows down, and the window is open. What better time is there to sit the kids down and ask this question, than at the point where every star is in line for Ted and Robin.
Flag
agreed and [Please note that the following is just my opinion, and a way to vent my own frustrations with, the many negative opinions I've heard of the show, no one who disliked the ending should see what I say as an insult to them personally or their own viewpoint, just me voicing my own differing one] the one thing that I find infuriating about the issue many take with Ted ending up with Robin is that they try to spin it as in some way showing that the Mother of Ted's children didn't matter/wasn't his true love/etc
[exasperated sigh] that's not the message, the message (or rather one of many positive messages we can take away from it) is that Ted absolutely loved the mother of his children, and no doubt still does after she's gone, and probably will even after Robin and him get together in their middle age.
Further that, this similarly doesn't in any way diminish the love he might now gain with Robin (or any of what either of them went through before).
In life we lose people, and finding people you can "move on" with is exceedingly important.
Finding someone who also isn't going to in anyway take away from what you had in the past is something wonderful. And it's abundantly clear from all we saw in this final hour of the series (at least to me) that Robin respects the hell out of the woman Ted married, and from the kids words we can infer that since their mother's death Robin has actually been a/the most stable (not to mention positive) older female presence in their household, despite the fact that her job takes up much of her time.
[And this is all before any Ted and Robin getting “back together” has occurred]
Frankly I find it insulting that anyone could look at all this and think that there could in any way be a *"better" ending for all concerned.

*if people instead want to complain that we should've gotten a whole season of what was crammed into the final hour of the show, To see laid bare all that I just talked about and more. I can totally sympathize and understand that. There are many shows that ended too soon, and that's always frustrating, but at least we got to see what happened, even if we only saw it in snapshots.
More+
Flag
brilliant! Well done! Thank you for writing this. I feel exactly the same way and I also cried so much during the hour finale. I am really glad you wrote this!!!!
Flag
I couldn't agree more. Thanks GeeZed.
Flag
Re-watch it?!? Why on earth would I ever watch that again?
Flag
Yep. I get all that. But, that still doesn't change the way I feel about how the show ended. Not that I necessarily needed Ted and the Mother to live happily ever after. But, I sure didn't want to feel like their relationship was diminished to just something Ted went through before he could be with Robin.

And, again, I get that the kids knew their parents loved each other. I think eventually I will come to accept and maybe even appreciate how Bays and Thomas decided to end the series. But, I'll never forget that my feeling in those final scenes was not one of joy as I had hoped, but rather one that felt cheated, feeling like they used the Mother merely as a prop in their story of how Ted and Robin got together in the end.
Flag
I agree with you. I wouldn't say their relationship was "diminished" but otherwise I think as you do.
Flag
Thank you. Finally an article that didn't miss the whole point and appreciates the brilliant piece of writing this finale was.
Flag
Everything would be okay if the show just wasn't called "How I met your MOTHER!" That's right there is the trouble maker
Flag
Look again--the show is called How I Met Your Mother, not How I Met Your Mother, or even I Met Your Mother.

See the difference?
Flag
As I wrote in another thread: Ted told his kids a story and called it like that. The show was always told from a narrators view and playing with that made the show what it is. To keep on this motive even in the shows title is genius imo. People who are complanining about the ending not fitting to the title miss the whole point.
Flag
I love every time they talk about sandwiches, because it reminds me it's for the kids, not for me.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    America's Got Talent Live Show 3
    NEW
    NBC
  •  
    Bachelor in Paradise
    NEW
    ABC
  • 9:00 pm