A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

Last week we introduced you to the five primary characters of CBS's How I Met Your Dad, the spin-off pilot of the network's long-running comedy How I Met Your Mother. And now we know who's going to play the most important one! Golden Globe-nominated indie actress and filmmaker Greta Gerwig has landed the lead role of Sally—the Ted Mosby of the series—who is described as being a "female Peter Pan." 

There's been a lot of OMGWTFBBQ going around in the wake of Gerwig's casting, with many people claiming that she's sold out. Sorry, hipsters, but you need to get over it! If Gerwig wants to star in the pilot of a spin-off of an established sitcom, then why shouldn't she? I'm not familiar with Gerwig's film resume, so I'm pretty neutral on her casting. The only question I really have isn't whether or not Gerwig has sold out, but whether or not she's right for the part itself. If she can properly convey Sally's messiness and restlessness, then does her past work really matter?

Need I remind you that when Neil Patrick Harris was cast as Barney Stinson, the common response was, "Doogie Howser? As a ladies man?" And look at the humor and emotional depth he's brought to the role over the course of nine seasons. And if you're worried that Gerwig will stop making independent movies, please remember that Josh Radnor—her male counterpart—has written and starred in several during his breaks from How I Met Your Mother. But if you're simply worried that the rest of the world will know one of your secrets, now would be the time to grow up. 

The fact that Gerwig isn't very well known to most of the America viewing public actually works in her favor here. Despite there being a general air of disapproval regarding CBS's creation of a How I Met Your Mother spin-off—including from your yours truly—the original show has lasted nine seasons and made its network quite a bit of money. It doesn't matter if HIMYM fans believe that the quality of the series has suffered in recent years; the spin-off is still a huge opportunity for CBS. Casting a high-profile, well known actress in the lead role could have resulted in unrealistically high expectations. With Gerwig at the center of How I Met Your Dad, the new show's writers will have more of an opportunity to tell the story they want to tell. According to TV Line, Gerwig will also be a producer and occasional a writer on How I Met Your Dad if the project is picked up to series, so fans of her work should be less focused on whether or not she's selling out, and more about what she can bring to the table here. If she's working behind the scenes as well as in front of the camera, maybe we should all start looking at this spin-off in a new light.

thekaitling:list:what-do-you-think-of-greta-gerwigs-casting/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

74 Comments
Comments (71)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
if this happens imma be so pissed
Flag
Don't they think they squeezed the concept enough already? They barely can do 9 seasons and something around 6 or 7 seasons of good level, so maybe they should think about stopping the madness...
Flag
I'll give it a try.. never know..
Flag
Staff
I care more about the gum that gets stuck on people's shoes than I do about HIMYD.
Flag
My only concern is that her indie sensibilities might result in a show high in art but low in mass appeal.
Flag
I'll watch this show if it hits 8 seasons
Flag
I think she's great. My worry is that this is going to be some horrible hipster marriage of The New Girl and HIMYM.

Actually I'm worried. I know that is exactly what it's going to be. As a result, I will not be watching it. My only hope is that it gets canceled so that she can go back to making not-crap.
Flag
Love her in Frances Ha which was also a very good movie.
I have no doubt she'll get the messy and restless part right seeing how good she did in this movie !
Flag
She's not smiling because no one is going to watch that turd (or her show).
Flag
I just don't know about her or the show
Flag
Never heard of her.
Flag
I love HIMYM, but I couldn't possibly care less for a HIMYD. This spin-off is years too late, and I really don't want to see it ever happen
Flag
I usually give new shows a chance ... but, himym has pissed me off so much with this last season that I'm not going to bother watching this.
Flag
She's too good for a role like this :/
Flag
I'm a big fan of HIMYM so i will give the spin-off a chance.
But everytime i read about it i keep wondering what if they make it "single-camera" instead of multi-camera? i think it would be much cooler.
I haven't seen any of Ms. Gerwig's previous works so i have no opinion about her casting.
I trust Bays and Thomas, i even liked "The Goodwin Games"
If it is at least half as good as the early seasons of HIMYM i'll keep watching.
Flag
i thought the wife was the female Ted.
Flag
I love HIMYM, but I wasn't excited about a female version. Then I saw Greta was cast as the main character and it was going to start with her being in a bad marriage. Now I am probably going to have to give it a fair chance.
Flag
Is it a totally different story? I hadn't heard that. Thought it was gonna be based on the characters introduced in ep 200.
Flag
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the premise but shouldn't Cristin Milioti be the Ted Mosby of the group since she's actually the mother? I was under the impression this was going to be the story of how the mother met Ted.
Flag
No this is totally different story.
Flag
Gerwig is MASSIVE in the indie film world. And delightful. This news struck me as bizarre but not unwelcome.
Flag
Was I crazy to think that the spinoff would be with the same actress they casted as The Mother? I really don't get it. They decided on the spinoff after they saw the appeal and popularity of the Mother. What's the point if they'll recast the character... I am seriously losing faith in this project.
Flag
Jesus Christ, it's not the same story...
Flag
Is it going to be about a woman that explains to her two children (a boy and a girl) how on earth she met their father, Ted Mosby? IF YES, THEN IT'S THE EXACT SAME STORY. If yes, then this is a spinoff of HIMYM. The same story just from the Mother's point of view.
Flag
It's not, though. It's an unrelated story.
Flag
Nothing really. Same plot device. Same story structure. Same creators.
Flag
What makes it a spinoff then?
Flag
Jesus Christ, maybe you can explain?
Flag
Jesus Christ, religion rules!
Flag
I'm going to watch what's available and keep an open mind. I don't like anything about this thus far but am willing to try.
Flag
I like her voice work as Pony in [adult swim]'s "China, IL" (one of the cartoon's better characters, IMO). I doubt I'll pick this show up for regular viewing but I'll tune in once or twice just to put a face to the name.
Flag
...face to the voice, I meant.

Flag
I'm a little disappointed by this casting. Not because I don't want to "share Greta Gerwig," but because I know how immensely talented she is. This feels like a major step back for her.

That being said, "How I Met Your Dad" just lucked out big time. Greta is instantly likable and has that "it" factor. If the rest of the cast is this good (and the material is strong...which is a big question mark) the show might actually be able to step out of the HIMYM shadow.

Also, the Neil Patrick Harris situation can't even be compared to this one. Back in 2004, casting NPH was met with derision. It was the equivalent of casting Screech from Saved by the Bell. No one thought NPH could do it and he proved them all wrong. Everyone who's familiar with Greta Gerwig knows she can knock this one out of the park.

Either way, I'm now super excited for "How I Met Your Dad."
Flag
Agreed, except for the Screech part.

Dustin Diamond is a piece of shit in real life, and NPH is a class act. Better analogy might be Urkel?
Flag
Although I should add that I have no idea what Jaleel White is like in real life. He could be a jerk as well, for all I know.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
"selling out" is one of the BSiest things I have ever heard. but whatever. I've seen a few of her movies some good some bad.. but I'm indifferent to her casting, it's not going to make me not watch but it's also not going to make me watch.. and I don't see this show being successful without an amazing cast.
Flag
Never seen anything with her in it, so I have no idea if she is right for the part. So I will check out the show to see
Flag
Is this in any way a direct spin-off of the HIMYM series? For instance, is Sally, or any of the others, going to be a character in HIMYM, like a back door pilot, or is this an all original, stand-alone idea that is just using a variation of the HIMYM title?
Flag
Exactly! They should have used all the actors from How I met your mother that have to do with the spinoff. For example, the actors that played the Mother, her roommate, her ex-husband and her friends in episodes of HIMYM should have been the same in the spinoff.
Flag
Can someone explain this to me please?

How I met your mother may have started with the gimmick of the story that lasted for 9 years, but did anyone really care about it for the past 7?

If we take a poll, what would people be more interested in - Seeing Ted meeting the mother for the first time - or seeing Barney's wedding with all its Shenanigans like the ring bear?

Barney's character is the main highlight of the show and probably always have been.

So what is the point of the spin off using the gimmick that nobody cares about?
Flag
I agree that seeing Ted meet the mother has been my main reason for continuing but (as sick as I am with the limitations of season 9) seeing the potential payoff of the 'ring-bear' story also comes into play at this point. All of the characters have grown to the point where (to me) it isn't solely about Ted meeting the Mother anymore.

I think if the new show get's a strong cast (and does a similar setup gimmick but with new ideas) then this could work. Probably won't but I'm staying optimistic.
Flag
Who cares who's gonna be on this train wreck of a show?!?!?!?!?! 9 seasons of HIMYM was about 4 too many!!! Will not be watching this!!!!!
Flag
The drone suits are alive and kicking at CBS. One mild success and them think they are a formula for success! Where is the originality... answer:everywhere else! (sort of)
Flag
Any show that lasts more than 9 seasons isn't a 'mild' success. I do take the point that originality is lacking.
Flag
TV is one of the few places where quantity apparently equals quality. I have watched HIMYM on and off for years but only because there was nothing better on. I was bore, depressed or both. For me it has always been a filler sitcom. This last season has been truly awful, though it is only my opinion. Can anyone really say they would prefer 5 so-so nights out, rather than one great, memorable night. This HIMYM... so-so...
Flag
That's a different argument though, and very subjective. Quality has little to do with success, as reality TV will demonstrate. (Btw - I'm a fan of HIMYM, for just about everything except the laugh track).
Flag
We should agree to disagree. There is no big issue here. As you said it is subjective. I must agree with reality TV has been worst thing to happen to TV. An pointer to suits having no originality what so ever.
Flag
^ 9 seasons, not more than!
Flag
I believe Friends had 9 seasons (or was it 10?)

And yet every list of sitcoms puts Joey as one of the worst ever...
Flag
10 ... and, exactly!
Flag
Why did the hipster burn his mouth? Because he ate his food before it was cool.

Anyone who accuses Gerwig of "selling out" needs to realize that entertainment is a business, and everyone, no matter what their line of work, is in search of long-term employment.
Flag
No no no & boo to the whole premise of the show. Ready to let go & CBS s/b as well.
Flag
I never heard of Gerwig but this article made me a bit interested in HIMYD instead of strongly against.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members