A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

Meg Ryan has joined the cast of CBS’s How I Met Your Dad pilot, TV.com has confirmed.

The Sleepless in Seattle actress will lend her voice to the How I Met Your Mother spin-off as “Future Sally,” the unseen narrator and older version of Greta Gerwig's character, a.k.a. the lady version of Ted Mosby. It's essentially the same role that belonged to Bob Saget on the original series, where he provided the voice of Josh Radnor’s Future Ted. 

How I Met Your Dad, which has yet to receive a series order, follows Sally’s search for the father of her children and will presumably end with Sally announcing she's a lesbian and shacking up with Robin after Ted's untimely death.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

56 Comments
Comments (56)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Bwahahahhaha this is the best thing I've read in a while.
Flag
I think it will be a good fit.
Flag
What is with that photo of Meg Ryan you picked? It looks nothing like her.
Flag
Thats how she looks now.
Flag
After the betrayed feeling from the HIMYM ending, I told myself that I will stay away from the spinoff but I know I will eventually fail.
Flag
The last line of this article was epic haha. I've told myself I'm not gonna even try this but how can I resist not watching at least to get enjoyment out of how bad it will potentially be?
Flag

...Sally announcing she's a lesbian and shacking up with Robin after Ted's untimely death.

That was a much needed Thursday LOL, I snorted my coffee.

Flag
"How I Met Your Barney"

After the last ep. of HIMYM I'm certain that's how it'll turn out.
Flag
That would be awsome !
Flag
I never understood that, what was the point of using a different actor?
It was still Ted... Why a different voice? It's not like he was going through puberty?

(Or was that supposed to be the metaphor?)
Flag
I'm assuming it's to differientiate when it is ted talking or when it is his narrator... Also a better voice... key word assuming btw
Flag
After the worse finale of all time (yes worse than dexter), I will not even give this a try.
Flag
I thought this was a bad idea before the finale, and now I'm convinced it's going to be a total train wreck. "...will presumably end with Sally announcing she's a lesbian and shacking up with Robin after Ted's untimely death." XD Hahah, yep :) and that will STILL make more sense than Ted ending up with Robin, if you ask me XP Don't forget the fact that they will build the side-characters up only to butcher their entire character development by the time the last episode rolls around.
Flag
But I like Meg Ryan. She needs to get out while she can.
Flag
Well I not watching this show... I was watching HTMYM for the cast! I liked the ending!
Flag
Glad to see I'm not the only one still bitter about that ending.
Flag
(presumably end with Sally announcing she's a lesbian and shacking up with Robin after Ted's untimely death), HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I don't want to see anyting like this any more, it is going to boring.....
Flag
This show is probably gonna tank...one of the only reasons why HIMYM even worked is that we didnt know it was gonna be NINE years before we found out the answer, we didnt know the real show was gonna be how I did $hit until something actually happened...(it was assumed that the show would be about the early part of the relationship or something...); the only way this show could work is if they reveal alot of parts of the actual meeting early on, if this show adopts the formula of the last season, (not one LONG weekend where marshall miraculously lost and regained 20 pounds in 56 hours), but where you show parts of the relationship in flash forwards or something, it MIGHT have a chance, (but even then it will probably be a snowball's chance in hell...)

Another way the show has a chance is if they get someone as awesome as NPH, but that'll be hard (and it'd be more recycling of the himym dynamic)
Flag
I like Meg Ryan. I have since....forever. She has a great soothing, sexy, and friendly voice.
At this point, i just have no confidence in the show, not after the tragedy that was the for the finale of HIMYM
Flag
I love Meg Ryan but am not going over that again, thank you very much.No, not even the pilot.Or maybe a peek just to listen to Meg for a couple of minutes.
Flag
Meg Ryan is perfect!
Flag
What the heck is you problem. How I Met your mother wasn't sad enough now you have to add the worst prediction I've seen
Flag
Don't worry guys, if this show is successful, we'll know who the father is by 2023! It'll be no time!
Flag
People will be driving flying saucers by 2023...
Flag
I doubt anybody would watch it. Hope it gets cancelled in 6 episodes. They are paying Meg Ryan big bucks to gain attention. Even with the alternate ending I just trust those awful writers. They who shall be not named may rot in hell. I guess I am not over it.
Flag
It's a show. Clam the f--k down.
Flag

Flag
What a way to ruin it, creators. We already know Sally ends up with Harry.
Flag
Nice.
Flag
Good one...
Flag
Remember Ted's heartfelt speech the season before to the mother before they met? saw this comment on youtube, lol

"Hi. I'm Ted Mosby... and exactly 45 days from now, you and I are gonna meet. And we're gonna fall in love, and we're gonna have two kids. And we're gonna love them and each other so much. And then you're gonna kick it and I'm gonna go bang Robin."
Flag
So much of this seems to be a replica. How about some originality in the cast?
Flag
My thoughts Exactly
Flag
The casting of Greta Gerwig really impressed me; made me think this show actually had a shot. I was also (sort of) impressed that an SNL alum (although with one failed show) was involved behind the scenes.

But other than that, what have we got? Gay couple version of Lily & Marshall, a sassy female Barney, and Frank whom i'm assuming is from Canada and drinks scotch? So much for this supposedly being a spinoff, this is a hardcore remake.
Flag
If I were a masochist I would watch this show, so after 5 good seasons, 2 mediocre seasons, 2 bad seasons and a poorly written, meaningless and unfaithful finale I could be betrayed once again.
Flag
Fuck this. I got burned once and won't let it happen again.
Flag
poor Meg Ryan ...
Flag
No kidding, her face is rapidly melting so THIS is the only job she can get.
Flag
yep ... so sad ... -_-
Flag
Thank you Kaitlin for that last sentence. The creators deserve every snide comment about the ending that you can think of. Maybe it's progress that I can laugh about the ending now.
Flag
I skipped over that sentence to rant in the comments. So I went back and read it. Good call.
Flag
I know that last bit about lesbian and Ted's death is meant as a joke, but after how they went back on everything that had happened on HIMYM over the years, I wouldn't put it past them to actually do that at the end.. I never understood why they have different people doing the voiceovers for the future versions.. why not have the actual person doing it?
Flag
If it weren't for the last 2min 55sec of the HIMYM series finale, I probably would have watched this show. But now I won't watch anything by Carter or Craig.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members