A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

How I Met Your Mother S09E16: "How Your Mother Met Me"

Music has always been a part of How I Met Your Mother, from the familiar theme song to Robin Sparkles to the series' 100th episode, which featured the song-and-dance number "Girls Vs. Suits." Knowing that Cristin Milioti is a talented Broadway actress (she spent two years playing Girl in Once), I was hoping we'd have the opportunity to hear her sing before the show signed off for good. This week, during the series' 200th episode, that wish came true as she sang not once, but twice. The first song was a silly little number involving an English muffin and some jam, but that was just the writers throwing fans a bone, because the real moment came when she sang "La Vie en rose," a song made famous by Édith Piaf in the 1940s, and one that's guaranteed to make me cry 83 percent of the time.

The fact that the Mother was singing it as a final goodbye to her former boyfriend Max while playing the ukelele, the last birthday present he gave her, was heartbreaking and sad, but it was also a big moment in the life of a woman we've really only begun to get to know. And while there's plenty to discuss regarding everything we learned in "How Your Mother Met Me," what viewers should take away from the episode is this: There's a reason we've been waiting nearly nine years to meet the Mother, and it's not because Carter Bays and Craig Thomas are jerks. It's because the Mother wasn't ready to meet Ted, and he, in turn, wasn't ready to meet her. As an audience, we can complain all we want about how this or that could have or should have happened earlier, but "How Your Mother Met Me" cemented the fact that this story is as much about the Mother as it is about Ted's journey toward meeting her. By the end of the episode, both characters were at their lowest, thinking they were never going to find love, and little did they know that love was literally just over a fence during that song.

According to Thomas and Bays, they've had an eight-year plan from the very beginning, and although that could be complete bullshit—and I wouldn't even be mad if it were—I do believe they've had some of the Mother's backstory in place for quite awhile. When shows are in the pilot process, networks want to know that they're investing in something with the potential to last for several seasons, and they often want to know the plan for many years' worth of plot. I think, especially with a series as unique in nature as HIMYM was in the beginning, that it's probable the creators always knew the Mother's backstory would include a former lover who died tragically. But even if I'm wrong (and let's face it, that's like 68 percent of my life), "How Your Mother Met Me" worked because it showed the Mother's grieving process over eight years, so that by the time she met Ted, she was ready and willing to open her heart to someone else. And before she could do that, she had to let go of Max and ditch Louis, because while he might have helped her ease back into the dating world, she wasn't in love with him. It kind of sucks that he proposed and she said no, though (for him, obviously; not for Ted or for us).

Although the Mother's backstory was filled with sadness that began on the night of her 21st birthday in September of 2005 (outside a MacLarens—YES, THERE ARE TWO), the other glimpses of the Mother's past that we saw in "How Your Mother Met Me" were very fun, and they further developed a character we feel like we know, but don't. I could nitpick that it's ridiculous to think that she has pretty much everything in common with Ted (driving gloves, calligraphy, coin collections, etc.), but I won't because the Mother is just so damn likable, and everything about her in this episode was pleasant and made my heart swell. Her appearances in episodes like Season 3's "No Tomorrow" or Season 5's "Girls Vs. Suits," which was the first time we were introduced to Rachel Bilson's Cindy, were also fun, because they gave us points of reference in both her history and the gang's. We knew there were several near misses in their history, but it's one thing to hear that from by Future Ted, and another to see those moments from the Mother's point of view. They built on who she is as an individual, and fleshed her out a bit more. I also especially enjoyed the reappearance of Andrew Rannells as Darren, because it was just enough and not too much.

But even though this episode was very much about the Mother and what she's been up to since 2005, it'd be wrong to say it had no influence on the storylines of what's happening with the gang on the evening before the wedding. As the Mother sang, we saw that Marshall was clearly very upset about his argument with Lily, while Lily was still in the car on the way to who knows where. Robin and Barney were both lying awake looking nervous (which we know they are, per all the previous flash-forwards to their wedding day). And Ted, well, he was being Ted—creepy, but oddly romantic Ted—listening to a stranger sing "La Vie en rose" on his balcony. But despite that beautiful montage, the final seconds of the episode are what really important here, as Ted has discovered that Barney is gone. 

I think it was smart of the writers to give us a Mother-centric episode that acted as a crash course in Mother history, but I also think it was smart to add a bit of story development for the rest of the cast. Because as heartwarming and funny as "How Your Mother Met Me" was, and as much as we were predestined to like it because it was all about the Mother, How I Met Your Mother needed to stay on track with the wedding, too. Was it necessary for the Mother to end up staying at the inn (especially when we didn't know she wasn't staying there to begin with)? Maybe not, but it was sweet that Ted heard her voice and loved her rendition of the song before even meeting her. Is it totally unlikely that he wouldn't have peeked over that wall that was like, three feet tall to get a glimpse of the woman singing? Completely, but this moment ties into the notion of Ted as a romantic, and I can't wait to see the moment when Ted meets the Mother and realizes that he's already met her, in a way.

"How Your Mother Met Me" was a great 200th episode for How I Met Your Mother. It was something different, but it was also a long time coming. It fleshed out a character we've been hearing about for nearly nine years but still didn't really know, and it was one of those patented emotional episodes the series does so well that sometimes I wonder why it even bothers with pure comedy. How I Met Your Mother could easily be a successful 30-minute dramedy if it wanted to be, and I maintain that it's at its best when it's doing these kinds of emotional stories. I didn't expect the Mother to have loved and lost at such a young age, but it worked for the show and for her character, and it added a nice bit of depth to the woman Ted will soon love, and that we already do.

NOTES

– As of this writing I haven't read the comments yet, but I do hope that no one is mad they didn't actually meet in this episode. For one, the Mother does know who Ted is indirectly. She was in his classroom that first day, and that's "how she met him." She knew who Cindy was talking about when she cried about their bad date. And despite episode titles, we know they're probably not going to officially meet until the very end of the series.

– The Naked Man! What a nice, weird callback that I never saw coming, but am glad the show decided to bring back. Two out of three!

– After realizing we never learned the Mother's name in this episode, I've decided that I hope we never do. I think somethings deserve to remain mysterious, and her name is probably the most sacred secret the show has, second only to the moment when Ted and the Mother actually meet and speak for the first time. So I'll be happy to call her the Mother for the rest of the show and beyond. What about you?

– Obviously, the Mother is not a fan of The Vampire Diaries, because she would know that one person can be your first love, but someone else can be your last. 

– "Better than Radiohedgefund!?"

thekaitling:list:himym-what-did-you-think-of-how-your-mother-met-me/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

260 Comments
Comments (260)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I really loved this episode! I know some people were hatin' on the choice of actress to play the Mother, but I have to say, I really find her likeable. Not just because she has so much in common with Ted (Honestly, Ted has always been my least favorite; even though I still root for him at the end of the day.) but because she's just CUTE, dammit!

My favorite parts:
The Naked Man (didn't Robin have a Naked Man encounter as well?)
the re-appearance/background on Darren, the Band Jerk
The Mother's rendition of the La Vie en Rose song
this whole exchange...
Louis: "Can I buy you a drink?"
Mother: "What? No, sorry, I'm 16."
Louis: "Really? Oh...uh, nevermind, then. Better not."
Mother: "You believed that? I like you!! Yes, you can buy me a drink!"

and the exchange with Darren (before he turned into a jerk) about the Mother's band being the best economically-themed band in the entire city. "Really? Better than 'Radiohedgefund?"
That really had me laughing!

but I especially loved the sequence where Louis proposed to her, and she had to go talk to Max before giving him her final answer. So touching and bittersweet.
More+
Flag
so mother meets Ted less than 24 hrs after being proposed... huh?
even more reason to believe ted's gonna do something stupid (u know what i mean) at the wedding !!
Flag
The reason I think that this episode was definitely legendary, was because it brought back so many good moments of the show in the first 3-4 seasons. Anything that came much later especially in the 8th and all of the 9th season was pretty mind numbingly boring. Thank God the script was nothing new and they tried to fill in as many gaps as possible. That way this episode was a life saver for the entire season.
Flag
So many callbacks! I loved the "return" of the naked man... pretty awesome. Did anyone else notice the "Save the Arcadian" posters in the scene where she meets Louis?
Flag
I would like to hear from the 300-odd odd people that didn't love this episode. And it can't be because you just hate the series and are just trolling.
Flag
That episode was sooo amazing. See thats what pisses me off about HIMYM - 2 seasons ago when we found out that Robin cant have babies - HOW awesome and well written were those episodes and look at this one.. Why isnt it always like that? They can do it, why dont they do it more often!

I loved the story of Max - so sad it made me cry. I always wonder how it would be to find the love of your life (but come on that Ted and the mum share SO MANY same things is kind of over the top) and then he/she dies - it must be so horrible cause you will always think: what if that was that 1 person - and every guy/girl that comes after you prob. think aaah if xy would still live... he never did that etc.

I hope Barney isnt going to far, by now I just wanna see them getting married
Flag
I was aware that it would be impossible for the writers to top that garbage fest that was Slapsgiving 3, so I was really optimistic about this episode. It was cute, very informative and really enjoyable to watch. The only thing I didn't like is that they pushed too hard in showing the Mother's tastes as exactly the same as Ted's. It didn't felt organic at all. But, just a minor fault. The "La vie en rose" rendition was great and very emotional.
Flag
*didn't feel organic*
Flag
Actually we might already know her name because at the beginning she wears a necklace with a name on it. I couldn't read it but it's a nice touch from the creators!
Flag
I read in a thread board that someone zoomed in the scene and found out it says "Love".
Flag
For everyone who's upset that they didn't actually 'meet' in this ep, I think we're going to see a lot more interaction between Ted and the Mother in the last half of this season. We're all anxious for them to 'meet' for the first time, but is that the most important interaction? We've already seen the proposal, and her in labor; I'm betting we'll see their wedding and other milestones too. I don't think we're going to miss out, it's a bit timey wimey seeing snapshots of their lives like this, but I'm quite enjoying it.
Flag
THe man naked man had to come back, he was going the one who helped Ted to come back into dating
since Stella
Flag
This was a FINE episodde. Not worth the wait because seriously the rhyming and the racist slaps will never be worth anything (same for the other filler stuff that I can't even remember because it was so inconsequential to the story), but very good nonetheless. Even better than the 8 years we spent following Ted around I'd say... if anything, this showed that these kinds of stories can be told at a much faster pace. I loved it.

Milioti is like a talented version of Alyson Hannigan. I'm sorry to say that as I love Hannigan, but even just in a couple of episodes she has outacted the entire cast (with barely any material), and now she also showed how amazing she is at singing for those who didn't already know.
Flag
My point about Alyson Hannigan was because they look so much alike, it's almost weird.
Flag
I think a lot of people find Hannigan's character grating; which could also be part of the problem. Lily is not my top favorite, (Robin is) but she does come before Ted.
I really don't like Ted as a character, as I find him unnecessarily goofy and plain. Barney does goofy with just the right amount of charm, and control; and he dials it in before anything gets TOO out there. But Ted is silly often because the writers want to show how anal or nerdy he is about certain things; and it doesn't always work for me.

The show may be about Ted's journey to finding the Mother, but I think his friends are the ones that have kept the show successful for so long. A singular story about Ted, and only Ted, would fail spectacularly. In my opinion, that is.
Flag
Cristin Milioti has completely stolen this season, whether its being funny or experiencing tragedy, she has really hit it out of the park
Flag
At the end of Belly Full of Turkey, Future Ted jokes to his kids that the stripper named Tracy he flirts with was their mother. Their shocked reaction when he tells them "And that, kids, is the true story of how I met your mother." - and subsequent relief when he laughs and says "I'm kidding." - both suggest that they believed him at first, and that their mother's name may also be Tracy
Flag
Strippers don't usually use their real names, do they?
Flag
I don't agree with not knowing her name. I think it's an integral part of who a person is to be honest. I don't know why but I like to know names, first and last, and any nicknames too. There can be many mysteries but since we've cycled through nine years of Ted's romantic partners I think we deserve to know the name of the person he has been talking about this entire time. It makes her real.
Flag
I expect the series to end with Ted and the Mother introducing themselves at the train station- Hi, I'm Ted. "I'm (name here)" and they both smile.
Flag
Yes yes yes. This is what we've been waiting for. My only problem with this eps was too much informed qualities (like coin collection, Renaissance, calligraphy), Can they just show us, instead of telling us?

Flag
man Cristin Milioti could sing!!
Flag
They were so completly drunk, its fine he didn't peek over the fence.
Also great episode :D Like one of the best!
Flag
They saw the numbers were going down so they changed the boring 24hours style and the slapnonfunny episode .this is what should have been done for this season.
Flag
I agree that the last "Slap" episode was a major letdown.
Completely unfunny. I might've chuckled once; during the whole thing.

Dare I say that this episode was one of the best of the whole series; in my opinion.
Flag
This was the best episode of the season (though it's not saying much - the others were terrible).
I like the mother a lot and I truly despise the fact that the writers have decided that the meeting with Ted will be the last thing on the show (it looks like it will be, anyway) thus limiting our righteous time with the mother.
Instead of all the garbage filler episodes this season, this episode could have been done a lot earlier in the season (like, the third) and we could have had a whole last season like this:
- The mother and Ted in the early honeymoon phase of the relationship
- Them going through some problems and coming out of them stronger
- The mother interacting with the gang, especially dealing with Robin's competition for Ted's love (after the wedding with Barney doesn't go through) ...
- The last episode could have been the marriage proposal.
Let's face it ... the writers have screwed the pooch with this last season. The last few episodes of this series better be phenomenal to right this ship. This was a good start.
Flag
It's amazing to me how many times people keep saying how bad every episode except the most recent one have been terrible. It's true that there has been a lot of filler and some serious duds in the mix (slap bet, the rhyming episode, etc) and they absolutely should have made more of the mother in earlier episodes, but there have been a lot of pretty good or even exceptional episodes too.

Go back and look at the episode list and you'll find yourself saying, OK, that one wasn't too bad. Yes, I like that one too. Oh that was a classic!

Remember, there never was some magical time when this show was consistently good. Every season has it's fair share of OK episodes, some classics and some serious wastes of airtime, Twas ever thus.

But we stuck with it, because just occasionally the show pull off something amazing. Like this latest episode. Like the mother.
Flag
"Go back and look at the episode list and you'll find yourself saying, OK, that one wasn't too bad. Yes, I like that one too. Oh that was a classic!"

You are joking right? Or paid by the company or possibly both.
Flag
No, I'm not joking. Episode 1 was good, episode 2 was quite good, Platonish was good, The Lighthouse had it's moments, Bass Player Wanted was very good, Unpause was very good and How Your Mother Met Me is an all-time top 5 episode for me. And @sandorxian - hint or tip for the day, you can disagree with someone without being a jerk about it. Try harder next time.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Nope, sorry ... this season I've only mildly liked the first episode and this latest one. The rest has been really bad and I've commented them as such. The first few seasons were excellent .. I sometimes go back to watch them and find myself laughing even though I know what they're gonna say. Duds were the exception to the rule back then ... not the norm, like it is now.
Flag
It's called How I Met Your Mother. Not How I Dated and Convinced your Mother to Marry Me.
Flag
"Met" could mean a lot of different things, though. And I think meeting and dating is much more implicit in that title than "how my friends had babies, got marries, got drunk, did flashbacks, how I serial dated a bunch of women who was never going to go anywhere or how my friend wore suits and talked about suits while date raping women".
Flag
Come on .. the name of the show is only really important at the beginning of a series, to get people interested. It shouldn't be the driving factor of the show! Should they have changed the name of "Lost" to ... idk, "Found" in the latter seasons?
No ... they don't get to use the "this is the name of the show" excuse for the ineptitude they've shown us this season. Not to me, anyway.
Flag
I agree completely. The excellent casting for the Mother also doesn't at all make up for the years of bs we've had to deal with. If this How Your Mother Met Me episode (which I'm on record as enjoying a lot) had happened maybe 3 or even 4 years ago, it could have had the same effect, or perhaps even more so because it would not follow years of mediocity (at best).
Flag
Don´t know if anyone mentioned this already, but the mother had a near-miss with Robin as well. In the photo of the her and Louis in the bar you can see Robin in the back.
Flag
Haha, this is awesome. I'm the kid in the blue shirt sitting next to Cristin Milioti. If you guys are interested I have an acting blog at facebook.com/michaeljamesactinglikeanactor . Not that I did very much acting >_< still was great to have even a minuscule amount of involvement with this episode.
Flag
I don't think himym could survive as a dramedy to be honest. The sit-com baseline make the unexpectedness of the more serious and emotional episodes have a larger impact.
Flag
I don't want the show to end. I want more seasons, but I also want for them to put some more effort into making the episodes.
Flag
I can't believe for how many episodes this season I thought they are waist of time. Yes, Cristin Milioti is cute and all, but I hate episodes where there is nothing new going on. I want more things to happen, jokes, funny moments, to be some story, not just reminiscing past scenes just from another angle.
Flag
I'm fine with not knowing The Mother's name, but the next episode's title -- Daisy -- suggests that we will.
Flag
I've been on the "Season 9" is bad band wagon. There have been stand out moments but overall stretching an entire weekend into a season - not the best idea. This episode however. I loved all the throw backs. I love how "The Mother" didn't fall for the Naked Man. I like the Louis story line because it almost makes what happened to Ted with the Stella thing make sense. You can't marry someone just because they are nice and you kinda click/connect. There have to be "something more." I definitely felt myself tear up a little during some moments. I agree with the review that the reason they didn't meet sooner is that she was working through her own stuff and Ted was working through his. I'm bummed they didn't ACTUALLY meet but it was enough that I won't split hairs. The episode was better than last week and WAY WAY better than the Slapsgiving 3 debalacle.
Flag
Darn The Mother is so freaking lovable she is beautiful, funny, kind, has a great voice and she has a sad love story.
And Barney is on the run? Come on!
Flag
Wasn't there an episode where Barney and Robin seperately said they couldn't go through with it? I can't remember if that was resolved or not, but Barney must end up back there sometime or other
Flag
Yes...In the finale or beginning of season 7, Barney is in doubt if he had chosen the rigth tie, and on season 8, robin asked how freaked out Barney is, and we see him being held by Lilly and Marshall, then she says,"I can't go throws with this wedding....Since the first time we saw those two freaking out, we knew this day was coming, they were too lovey dovy this season and not at all the same as we saw previously ...so how the are going to get in there freak out state? We have to wait for it
Flag
If I recall correctly, I think that was a flash forward to the morning of the wedding...
Flag
We got to the bottom of Bump Girl! Yeeeah!
Flag
puzzles!
Flag
I'm in awe with this episode. Both the 100th episode and this, the 200th, episode of HIMY were extremely good but they are so different. in the 100th we've got another clue about the mother whereas in the 200th we've got a whole episode dedicated to the mother.
And man this episode made me love her so much. Hearing her sing made me almost cry because I could really feel the mother's pain and the heart ache she caried around her for 8 years. So now it makes perfectely sense that she hasn't met Ted earlier (even though there were serveral times that could have happend!). I just loved finiding new things about her. She has really the same interests as Ted has and even though it can get quiet silly it doesn't bother me because I simply like the mother.
Once again I have to talk about her singing. Her voice is so pure. I loved it. And the fact that Ted was on the other side of the balcony wall made my eyes watery because the scene they are set in is so damn beautiful. She is saying goodbye to her former boyfriend and he is listening to this beautiful voice singing in the night.
Well done HIMYM crew! I am very blown aways by this performance. And even though it was an almost 100 % episode of the mother, the story continued with the wedding, seeing that Barney has now disappeard.
I am very looking forward to the next episode!
More+
Flag
This was seriously the best episode this season if not in the while series. I kind of wish it has been longer like maybe a two part episode.
Flag
Well the mother has a darker back story than i thought, than again this is how i met your mother and the show is usually at it's best when there is a more serious tone to the episode. I was looking forward to this episode since i saw the title for the first time (actually ever since season 9 was confirmed and the mother was revelead, i knew there would be a episode that looked at the story from the mother's perspective) and i must say i wasn't dissapointed. This was definitely one of the better episodes of this season and didn't forget about the other characters and their current storylines. I wasn't really excited when season 9 was announced, but i have to say it is better than i expected, although maybe they could have made is shorter.

P.S. The naked man was a total surprise for me to, and i admit i couldn't place him right away
Flag
This is the best review of the episode I have read. You actually took the time think about the episode before writing about it. Thank you!
Flag
Staff
I've been known to think about things from time to time. But please don't tell anyone. (That is to say: Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!)
Flag
HA...that is not to say I agree with everything you say! :-) However, it was obvious that you put thought into the episode, rather than just regurgitating the story.

In case you are interested, here are a few counter-thoughts:

For instance, I don't think she was singing as a goodbye to Max. The words of the song don't match up. I think she was singing because she had finally let go and was ready for a new love (i.e. "The Next One). So, she was singing to a hypothetical "Ted" not knowing that he was actually 5 feet away and listening.

I also don't think they properly flushed out The Mother. It all felt rushed and a bit forced. I think The Mother deserves more than to be just a Mirror of Ted. She has a tragic story and I wished they had spent more time on that, rather than just fast forwarding 2 years and stating she had done nothing during that time. I also wish they had shown more of her interacting with "Max". That was so heartbreaking. My favorite line came after she told Max, "Well, I guess that is it...". I missed the 1st time), but she said "...for real this time". Meaning she had "let go" time and time again, but could never do it. However, now, with Ted literally on the horizon, she finally lets go, immediately ends her Rebound Relationship and goes to the Inn to sing to her Future Love.

One final thought...didn't it seem like this was a different show? Didn't it seem like it was different writers and have a different feel? Almost like a pilot for a completely new show? I've watched the episode 3 times now; hoping to see the joy that everyone else seems to see, but I just don't get it. Yes, the near misses where shown from her perspective and we had some awesome circles closed, but it just felt off to me. One answer for this that I have come up with is that the writers/producers wanted that. Because this isn't Ted telling Ted's story. It is Ted telling The Mother's story (he narrates, she doesn't...which I find interesting, but that is another theory on another subject). Of course it wouldn't be told in the same voice because it isn't his voice. He doesn't have the familiarity or closeness with the subject matter. Maybe there is a sadness in him telling her story (again, another theory on another subject). Maybe what I didn't like about the episode was actually a wonderful piece of story telling (and the biggest clue about the ending yet).
More +
Flag
Definitely went into this episode feeling cautiously optimistic at best. There's no denying that HIMYM is not what it once was. I hope that the magic that was recaptured by this wonderful little episode is a preview of things to come. Last night, I posted my review (http://www.untemperedtv.com/?p=263) and I've actually warmed up to this episode more and more just thinking about it since then. I liked it from the get go but the more I think about how they shared significant moments in the Mother's story over the past several years while rediscovering the sweet, funny tone HIMYM used to execute so well, the more I kind of love this episode. Will likely rewatch it this weekend. Made me excited for this show again.....at least for this week. We'll see how they screw things up next episode.
Flag
FINALLY A GOOD EPISODE. I really enjoyed this episode (I mean, I wish they hadn't placed it after an episode with a cliff hanger ending, but I still loved it) and I love the mother too. She is adorable. That said, there still is no excuse for the last few crappy seasons this show has had. Even if Carter Bays and Criag Thomas knew what was coming, there is no denying that the last few seasons have been pretty shitty. This episode was nice because it was a flashback to the show's hey-days.
Flag
Wow that was sad. I think this was a very necessary episode. It's good to get to know the mother a bit more and know how she got to the wedding. We had 8 seasons to get to know Ted so I find that an episode showing us the mother during those 8 years was perfect. I just loved the last song. Cristin is just amazing (great casting of the mother)

My quick take on season 9 - it's a filler season. Of course that a whole season set on a three days wedding is going to have episodes that don't really advance the plot so I don't mind them that much (to be honest they make me love episodes like the last one and this one even more).
Flag
So...I don't want to be that guy, but in the opening scene, the Mother is wearing a necklace that has the word "Leia" on it. It would add to the dorkiness factor that Ted would marry a Star Wars-named woman and explain why their son is named Luke.
Flag
Hmmm i actually read "Love" on the neckace... Gonna rewatch it and zoom, brb!! lol
Flag
I was thinking it read Love as well as I could only make out the big L...
Flag
Yeah it looks like "Love" to me.. o.O
Flag
And thus It could be the reason why their daughter's name is Penny. Good eye.
Flag
I don't get it- what's the connection between Leia and Penny? (or Luke and Penny?)
Flag
Ted has said (more than once) that he wants to name his kids "luke and Leia" (starwars) and we find out in Unpause that his kid turn out to be named Penny and Luke, so either the mother wouldn't let Ted name them both, or she wouldn't let Ted name the girl Leia because MAYBE that's the mothers name?! (which would be amazing for Ted since he loves star wars)
Flag
Very good detective work!
Flag
I was so looking forward to watch this episode that I was a bit disappointed... Don't get me wrong I liked it a lot but I expected more. I think they should have done a double, we saw so little of the mother.
Anyway it was fun to watch old seen of Ted crossing The Mother but with another point of view and it reminds me things I forgot.

However I don't get where you got your idea that the Mother could be dead or dying... There could be a lot of reason for Ted to tell the story to his kids other than that. Killing the mother whereas we saw her with Ted just a few minutes (and maybe one complete episode) would be very and too sad.

About the naked guy that was very fumy too, But we almost could say that it's a three out of three, ok he didn't succeed (and oh fortunate it is) with the mother but it worked with the roommate in we could say, the same attempt.
Flag
Lots of people are assuming that either Ted or the Mother are dead/dying... partially because a semi-recent episode showed Ted imagining what he WOULD have done differently had he known everything he knew now.

He gave a very heart-felt speed to the Mother (off-camera) about he would have done or trading ANYTHING to be able to spend just another WEEK with her.

His wording and tone could easily be taken as regret... that their time together was running out and he wishes to world that had more of it.
Flag
FYI - Ted's speech.

Hi— I’m Ted Mosby. In exactly 45 days from now you and I are going to meet and we’re going to fall in love and we’re going to get married and we’re going to have 2 kids and we’re going to love them and each other so much. All that is 45 days away, but I’m here now I guess because… I want those extra 45 days with you. I want each one of them. Look and if I can’t have them I’ll take the 45 seconds before your boyfriend shows up and punches me in the face, because… I love you. I’m always gonna love you, til the end of my days and beyond. You’ll see.
Flag
I don't know why but I can't answer to your last reply... So I do it there.
I'm not saying that their won't be something like a lot of people seems to be assuming, everything is possible. As I don't know why it is not Ted voice doing narrations...
I'm just saying that it could be a lot of other things and I would prefer a happy ending.
Flag
That could also means that he is so in love with her that he wants to spend as much time as possible with her. And knowing what he knows now he would had done things differently to meet her sooner. After all when you meet the ONE you could regret the years you spend without her (or him).
And after spending nine years waiting for him to meet her I don't want it to be around his or her death bed...
But we will soon be fixed
Flag
I know it doesn't necessarily mean that... but his tone-of-voice was a bit odd while saying it. Personally I don't know where they're going with it.

Death has been a suspicion of many since the beginning. Why would the kids be willing to sit around for hours for a story? Why is Bob Sagat narrating... it's not like Ted's voice is going to change in 10 years? etc.

And the writers once hinted that the final scenes will be surprising and I THINK they once used the phrase bitter-sweet.
Flag
I think the Mother told the kids their story like she did in this episode and then Ted said 'No, no, no, wait, there's much, much more to it. Kids, now I tell you..' and eight years passed by...
Flag
I like this version better :)
Flag
Thank you. :)
Flag
Completely agree with you. Loved it. That will be one of my favourite episodes at the end and it was a fantastic 200th. All the callbacks, the story told from the mother's point of view, old guest stars - super! Also loved her rendition of 'La vie en rose' (normally I don't like that song very much but it sounded good with the ukulele).

And I also agree on the point that we shouldn't learn the Mother's name. Then that and the Pineapple incident will be the only remaining mysteries. xD
Flag
God, if only Caroline's first love would just die already...
Flag
I still maintain that there are more heartbreaks to come in the future. I am of the opinion that the Mother is dead and that is why Ted is taking so long to tell his kids every detail of how they met.
Flag
That has crossed my mind but I really hope not. Ted did say once that when he told his kids the story of how he met their mother he would tell it in detail so I hope he just decided to tell them not because of tragedy but for happier reasons (or because one of his kids had the "misfortune" of asking him)
Flag
It was legendary. I'm in love with the Mother.
Flag
I offically love the mother! She is perfect for Ted and just so darn cute!
Flag
Awesome episode. Could very well be one of the best. Haven't cried from watching a show for a really long time, spectacular performance by Cristin Milioti.
Flag
I was expecting another musical as in episode 100th. This was so much better :')
Flag
Ok, this one was good, a nice episode in what it's being a horrible season. Nice to see all the past references and connections. I hope it's gonna start geting more interesting from now on until the finale. However, I'm not goona see the spin off, how I met your... whaever... Enough.
Flag
Loved loved loved it.

Going in, I wondered if we'd get any flashforwards, but we did not need them in the least. I loved that they stressed that this long journey hasn't just been about Ted getting to the right point in his life, but the Mother had to get there too.

They definitely pulled on my heartstrings with her backstory. And I loved all the little callbacks and character returns we got. And we finally got to hear her sing! That La Vie en Rose was perfection.

As we get further and further along, I worry more and more that we are going to find out that the Mother has passed away or is dying. With the way that things get worded, I just can't shake my concern.
Flag
Staff
I worry that she's dying (or dead) too, but I also feel like that's going to be such a depressing note to end on. "Let me tell you about all the women I banged now that your mom is dead even if we did have a very sweet life together." I have a feeling it's going to be something more than that, because it's been so widely speculated for so many years. I could, of course, just be in denial.
Flag
I'm going to be in the minority here and say this is the worst possible backstory they could have given the mother. The tragic death and unhealthy decade-long mourning period is not in line with the overall tone of the show. This is first and foremost a sitcom, I watch it for the zany antics. If I want tragic death, I'll go watch Game of Thrones. Also, the man who proposed to her wasn't given enough flaws. They made it look like he got the short end of the stick almost purely because he didn't laugh at singing breakfast food. And now I'm supposed to believe she lets go of all her issues just because she meets someone who likes the same book as her? Like, "You like Love in the Time of Cholera? I love that book! Wasn't something going on in my life? Didn't I get proposed to like a week ago? Oh well. Ur so sexy, Ted!!!!!111" I don't buy that view of love.
Flag
What a beautiful episode! The 'La Vie en Rose' song at the end just perfected it.
I loved the contrast between their love lives too. Ted's story began when he fell in love with Robin, and spent the next 9 years looking for love, dating countless women to find it.
On the other hand, The Mother's story began when she lost her love, and believed she couldn't have it again for 9 years.

They really are perfect for each other!
Flag
I absolutely LOVED this episode. I already loved Cristin Milioti, but this episode just made me love her even more, her rendition of "La Vie en rose," was both heartbreaking and beautiful. I ABSOLUTELY understand why her and Ted fall in love when they do. For the past eight years we have watched Ted roam aimlessly from woman to woman, hoping to find his true love and he has been holding on to Robin as the ideal because he was afraid that he may never find it with anyone else (no matter how wrong he and Robin are for each other, he did love her very much), and now seeing how the Mother (I honestly don't care what her name is and didn't even realize her name was never uttered, but it would be cute if it was Leia) was dealing with the loss of her first love in that time, it makes sense that they hadn't yet met - although they were very close, neither was in a place where they would be ready to be together - too much emotional baggage. I loved all of the callbacks to past episodes - NAKED MAN, hilarious that the mother was the first one to tell him no (2 out of 3 times folks), the bar/club on St. Patrick's Day, Ted teaching in the wrong class, Cindy dating Ted and then breaking up with him when he picks all of the things the Mother likes, Ted leaving the umbrella in the apartment, the Mother pronouncing RenAIssance Fair (she is douch-ay like Ted - LOL, I love it), etc. - sooo many good things about this episode. Cristin was PERFECT! It was so touching when she was talking to Max (her dead boyfriend) to ask if it was okay for her to move on; to see the pain she was in when she realized that the time had finally come for her to let him go was so sad. THIS is what I have been waiting for all season, and I am glad we finally got it. This is by far one of the best episodes of the series for me, definite Top 10, maybe even Top 5. I hope the showrunners keep it up because there are only eight episodes left and I cannot wait to see what happens next.
More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members