A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

HOW I MESSED UP HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER

... How I Met Your Mother co-creator Carter Bays announced on Twitter today that he and Craig  Thomas considered two different endings for the series, and that the one they didn't use will be included with the complete series DVD box set. It doesn't include additional footage, it's just edited differently. And I'd guess that it'll probably be more along the lines of the fan-edited ending that was floating around the web earlier this week. However, if the Mother doesn't die in the alternate ending, there's going to be a number of things that don't make sense in retrospect. Bays also said, "We chose the ending we chose and we stand by it. But we loved the other version too." This is a curious development, because if they truly stand by their choice, why do they feel the need to release an alternate ending? Was this always the plan, or is it a last-ditch effort to placate all the fans who felt slighted by "Last Forever"? I guess we'll never know! [Carter Bays' Twitter]

BUSINESS TIME

... ABC has moved up the summer premiere of Rookie Blue. Instead of debuting as planned July 17, the show's fifth season will kick off on June 19 at 9pm. The network has also delayed the premiere of The Quest until July 31 at 8pm; the new fantasy reality series was originally supposed to premiere on June 19. [ABC via press release]

... In addition to the scheduling changes mentioned above, ABC has also announced the premiere date for its reality series Sing Your Face Off, hosted by John Barrowman (Arrow, Torchwood). The talent competition series features celebrities who are "transformed and trained to perform as a legendary musical icon." The network will air back-to-back episodes from 9pm to 11pm every Saturday night beginning May 31, following new episodes of Bet On Your Baby at 8pm. [ABC via press release]

... Syfy has ordered 13 episodes of the new time-travel series 12 Monkeys. The drama, set to premiere in January 2015, is based on the 1995 film directed by Terry Gilliam, and stars Aaron Stanford (Nikita), Amanda Schull (Suits), Noah Bean (Nikita), and Kirk Acevedo (Fringe). Stanford plays a trime-traveler from a post-apocalyptic future who returns to the present day on a mission to destroy a deadly plague that will eventually wipe out the planet. [Syfy via press release]

... What's that old saying? You know, the one about how the show isn't over until... oh right, the the show isn't over until Fox cuts your season episode order by two because your ratings are abysmal. Glee's ratings are dipping to a number that's considered phenomenal for The CW, but the equivalent of a toilet emoji for the other broadcast networks, so Season 5 will now be two episodes shorter than originally planned. The series' reduced episode order is also a result of the production hiatus the series took in the aftermath of Cory Monteith's death last summer. But there's no hiding the fact that the show isn't what it used to be, promising move to New York notwithstanding. If Fox hadn't already ordered a sixth season, I think the show would be filming a series finale instead of a season finale. [THR]

... Homeland Season 4 will film in Cape Town, South Africa and be set in the Middle East. This makes sense, given the ending of Season 3, which saw Carrie (Claire Danes) taking a job in Istanbul. [Showtime via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... DB Woodside (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 24) and Brendan Hines (Betrayal) are both joining USA's Suits for multi-episode arcs in Season 4. Woodside will play Jeff Malone, a financial expert and former SEC prosecutor with a personal interest in Pearson Specter. Hines will play Logan Sanders, a rich boy who's used to getting what he wants because his daddy was a millionaire. He wants to prove himself by making a big acquisition that will create a conflict between Harvey and Mike. [USA via press release]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

102 Comments
Comments (102)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
They already fed me sour garbage, now they wanna sweeten my mouth? No can dosville, baby doll!
Flag
himym, you should have an alternate season 9 instead!
Flag
Rude! but true
Flag
Nice try himym ... do u really think I will buy your dvd set after u insulted me with that whole last season???
Flag
Here's an alternate happy ending to the HIMYM finale. Some fans were disappointed by the finale so hopefully this is more satisfying.

https://vimeo.com/90920106gm
Flag
Borrowman, you can do better than ANOTHER so-called reality based singing competition, we need this like a 3rd ball!
Flag
How I met your mother alternative ending could be a marketing ploy to sale more dvd set boxes.
Flag
are the poor glee rating based on people tuning in and then shutting off the newest glee episode? because If not I would that that glee's changes wouldn't be reflected in rating until the next episode where I expect a drop in turnout. and entire episode with showtunes probably isn't the biggest crowd pleaser? not the mention the loss of some serious talent in the cast.
Flag
If you want to be absolutely accurate The 12 Monkeys is based on Chris Marker's short film constructed out of still photographs primarily with only 30 seconds of actual 35mm film footage in it called "La Jetee"...

Neither Gilliam nor SyFy will do this brilliant short film justice. Chris Marker is one of my favorite filmmakers but his films are not at all translatable to pop-culture aesthetics...

Oh and Chris Marker was also a philosopher-- Because philosophers are the best filmmakers bar none! Hence the reason Terrence Malick is such a great filmmaker.
Flag
NOO!!! John Barrowman, you're so much better than this! Don't do it!! On a side note though, 12 Monkeys doesn't sound half bad. I am of course basing that entire belief solely on the casting news and nothing else though.
Flag
It's a god The title of the show was "How I Met Your Mother" it was the story of Ted's journey to meeting the love of his life and they completely fucked it up.

What pisses me off more than anything are the articles trying to justify this ridiculous ending and now to top it all off you have these bastard creators telling us they stand by their decision but there is an alternative.

Its fucking annoying is what it is. Guess it teaches whenever there is a series finale, always have low expectations.
Flag
I thought I DID go into it with low expectations. They apparently weren't low enough.
Flag
The title should have been:

"How I Met Your Mother and didn't cry about her death and ended up with Robin in the end after spending the entire story highlighting why we didn't belong together so she could be with Barney, her soulmate, and have their marriage be over in only three years (3 minutes on-screen) even though we spent a whoole season telling you why Robin and Barney were perfect for each other".
Flag
Can't see how an alternate ending will be much different unless they remove everything after the scene at the train station.
Flag
You've already proven you don't know what a plot is. So stop talking like you actually know.
Flag
For two guys who said they used the 'Cheers' finale as inspiration you think they would have figured out that to the audience - Robin was Diane to Ted's Sam. Which makes their ending the equalant to - after the last light went out at Cheers there are two more minutes where Sam shows up at Diane's door and tells her Cheers burned down and so now they try to make it work.

I hope the alternative ending is a full episode and not just an outtake scene so I never have to watch that episode ending ever again.
Flag
I'm a huge HIMYM fan and thought it was awesome even when others said it in the low seasons or when people complained this season would be just the wedding weekend. I even loved the finale, up to the last ten minutes. Then it turned into a copy of my sisters favourite Bollywood movie Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Look up HIMYM Bollywood Finale. Yikes!
link:
http://meghantravelsturkey.tumblr.com/post/81411703887/how-the-himym-finale-was-basically-a-bollywood-movie

Flag
That's great for you but to rest of us we thought HIMYM ending was going to closer to the ending of one of my favorite romantic comedies of all time 'Sleepless in Seattle'. And if you cut out the final two minutes it would have been.
Flag
I loved it up to the final ten minutes, didn't love the final ten minutes. It's great for my sister. I'm with you and would have preferred Sleepless in Seattle!
Flag
I thought something like that might happen...
They could have made a few extra scenes though...
Flag
Is it me, or has this comment thread shattered the record for most online job scams?
Flag
Yep....I just thought the same thing. Flagging every single on of em!
Flag
when's the dvd coming out I NEED the alternate ending to make peace with the show again.
Flag
It's been a week now, as a long time viewer of HIMYM (and I was mad) it's kinda popped out of my head now..

D.B Woodside is awesome but I am not sure if it's enough to get me back watching Suits, first half of Season 3 was a train wreck.
Flag
I don't see how SyFy can replicate the perfection that is "12 Monkeys". Do they really think they can accurately capture the best time-travel story? And how do they plan to depict the futility with the ending, or am I just really old and they don't expect their audience to remember?
Flag
I just don't get people complaining about HIMYM ending, it was great! It had some issues but to be honest it would definetly make my Top10 Series Finale.
Flag
Me too. It took alot of guts to go against everything and do what they did (not just in the finale but the entire season).

As bad as the last season was it had it's good parts and I liked the finale!
Flag

i dont see anything suspicious about including the alternate ending - it happens like all the time. I DO however think that the HIMYM finale was amazingly bad crafted. Not because of the actual outcome (even though I'm not in the Ted&Robin camp) but mostly because it made the season long wedding pointless, it annuld 9 years of character development, and the changing from "Ted's soulmate died" to "Ted is rebounding with his messed-up ex" in like 60 seconds - it storywise it doesn't help to have the daughter saying "come on - it was 6 years ago LOL LOL LOL".
The writers didn't have the balls to kill their darlings - i.e. that R&T belong together. Even if the last 5ish years of the story they have told has made it painfully obvious that they don't.
Just. Bad. Execution.

And stop whining about Lost - it was a great ending!
Flag
Except it wasn't!
Flag
Oh - great points you make. I didn't considered that :P
Flag
Yes it is not something that never happen, but maybe it is more on movies that on TV show?
Flag
Reads like a cash-grab to me: trying to entice people to spend the (approx) $150 that the box-set is likely to go for. Not for me, can't "un-see" what has been seen. Plus the fact that the last three seasons were barely worth a watch, let alone a re-watch.
Flag
Oh, but if Lost had had an alternate ending, like they were all dead the whole time, what sweeter world it would be. HIMYM's was, however, no big deal. Get over yourselves already. Four or five articles about this already. Make it stop, just make it stop. As for the DVDs, how many times can you watch this, really?
Flag
Noting wrong with the HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER ending! Robin and Ted forever!
Flag
Perhaps Bays and Thomas are afraid that they are going to be haunted by the fans for a long time just like Lindelof and Cuse.That's why they are putting the alternative finale in the DVD.
Flag
The box should be titled "How I met your {Step}mother" (the step could look like it was on a post-it note or something) :/
Flag
lol

Aaaaaannnnndddddd....................

Nope!
Flag
Bays and Thomas should have considered HARDER. My guess is the kids shot alternate material so the actors couldn't give away the true ending, and that's what we'll see. If they wanted to placate fans, they would have put out a letter the way the Kings did on The Good Wife; but they didn't, they're satisfied with the artistic choices they made, no matter how shallow or misguided.

Huh, interesting spoiler on Suits, the season finale is coming up and the teaser had the feds onto Mike, or at least that's how it was cut to seem. If this is the case, I guess it's like every other USA show - no risks.
Flag
Hines will play Logan Sanders, a rich boy who's used to getting what he wants

Aren't they always named "Logan"?
Flag
Staff
This just made me laugh way harder than it should have.
Flag
&&&This; is a curious development, because if they truly stand by their choice, why do they feel the need to release an alternate ending?

Because people like alternate/additional stuff.

Flag
I'm thinking maybe they (or anyone else involved in the show) are afraid the fans are simply not going to buy the DVDs after this...
Flag
I don't know how you got 4 upvotes for basically saying what I said. Additional material for fans (which is what entices them to buy the DVDs)
Flag
The way I would've ended it was having ted tell his story to the kids and in the end have the kids say "So why are you getting a divorce?" (That'll explain why they always look upset when he's telling a story, and not at all sad), and have Ted say, "you know what you're right!" And than have him rush to see her at work or something and have him tell her how much he loves her and couldn't live without her, and so on and so fourth... all while holding the yellow umbrella.
Flag
That would have been funny.
Flag
People are still mad over this? So it didn't end as you would have liked it to. Just be grateful we even had an ending and it wasn't just cancelled with NO explanation. IMO this series as a whole was very funny and very smart. I liked that ithe ending felt real.

You can fall in love and get a divorce and still find love. You can get married and something like death does happen, but you can still find love. Hell, you sometimes fall in love with someone else while you're still married. Lol. The series showed us that Ted tried very hard to have a happy ending and in the end, he had two.

His first love was Robin, but that ended. They both loved each other but it was to complicated to be in a relationship. It happens. Than he fell in love again, this time with Tracy, and had a beautiful life together.

she got sick and passed. 7 (?) years later he realizes he's ready to move on. Who better than your first love? You never forget your first love, am I right?

idk, I'm not mad at the ending. The only thing I wasn't 100% on board was it felt kind of rushed! even with an hour finale.

But I love this show and I'm not one of those people who will sit here and say I wasted 9 years on a show that ended in a way I didn't expect it to because even if I wasn't happy with the ending, I'd still be grateful that it lasted as long as it did.

Thank you HIMYM for the LEGEN-wait-for-it...DARY stories, ducky ties and great laughs, you son of a beech. See you in syndication! :)
More+
Flag
Oh c'mon. She died and he moved on. Just like many people do, nothing new there. Robin and Teds relationship was a mess, but it's nice to know that he moved on, even if it was robin. Robin was there for him when his wife died. It makes sense.

TRUE, he could've moved on to someone else, but that wouldn't make no sense for the show. This way people who were a fan of Ted and the mother get a happy ending (you know what I mean), and Robin and Ted fans get theirs too. I think what bothers people is the fact that it's not your typical mediocre happy ending. But it's a unique happy ending, nonetheless,
Flag
Actually, the typical, mediocre happy ending is going for the one that the Creators spent the whole serie playing will-they-won't-they with, so I would argue the opposite. The people who are happy, are happy that the cliché ending was chosen.
Flag
Yeah, who better to move on with than going back to chasing that one girl that broke your heart and rejected you for 9 years in your late 20's, early 30's. Who only really showed interest in you when you were in a commited relationship. Thank the creators that The Mother had the decency to die so that Ted could go back to chasing his one true obssession love.

Or to quote the best review ever of the episode: http://www.untemperedtv.com/?p=736
"All of the times that Ted and Robin tried to date only to have it end disastrously and realize time and time again that they weren’t right for each other; that was obviously just a red herring. Although they had different aspirations and goals that kept them apart, Bays and Thomas were able to write a glorious love story about two people who finally find right timing after Ted uses Tracy as a baby making machine to get the two kids that he wants so that Robin doesn’t and Robin achieves tremendous success in her field only to discover that she can never truly be fulfilled without a man. A man named Ted Mosby. It’s a love story for the ages. Even Tracy understood that and she died so she could get out of the way and let Ted fill the hole in Robin’s heart that chasing her dreams and accomplishing all the things she could hope to accomplish never could and Robin could fill the hole in Ted’s heart now that Tracy had served her purpose of incubating two children for this remarkable man. I’m getting teary eyed just reflecting on the sheer beauty of it all."
More +
Flag
What a load of crap! Tracey was never a baby making machine! She was the love of his life!

When she died it took Ted a while to move on. By telling the story feelings emerged and he realized (as well as his kids) that he still had feelings for Robin!

Now I'm going to read the full review from the link you posted because the quote you posted is so hilariously funny that I have to read the rest!
Flag
Actually, it's pretty clear the Creators meant for Robin to be Teddy Westside's one true Love. Just like Victoria, Stella, and Zoey, he just had to just get to the point where Robin could love him back. In this case, finish raising the kids he always wanted and Robin didn't. Guess boarding school was too expensive, but at least they're off to college soon, so Robin really doesn't have to deal with the raising part (although, who knows if Robin will have him now that he's available)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I guess the HIMYM alternate ending is the real example of them having their cake and eating it too? It's kind of another cop-out. I consider the ending they went with the official version. it still will not excuse the waste of pointless time the whole season was. It's for this reason I now feel the last episode was kind of an "F-You" to all those who watched regardless if you liked the season and/or agreed with the ending. If they had presented the last episode as the entire season, which it probably should have, then I might feel differently, but still would be annoyed he ended up with Robin anyway, particularly if they made it seem the "mother" never really mattered deep down.

SyFy should pair 12 Monkeys with Helix and get "Monkey Helix". It can't be any crazier for Helix than that show has already been. Then again, Helix may already be 12 Monkeys. Hmmm...
Flag
I'm happy about the alt ending, but I probably won't ever see it unless it ends up on YouTube.. I stopped buying DVD a long time ago, because I got a Blu-ray player and even if a DVD is upconverted, it just looks bad.. it's especially annoying when a show is broadcast and shot in HD but is only released on DVD but anyways. I don't think it means they stand behind their decision less, it's just that they shot it so why not give it out to the fans who will want to see more of their favorite show. there's plenty of shows that do that.. but unless it's just a completely different setup all together then I don't really see how there's any plot holes, when she mentions a mother not being at her daughter's wedding she could possibly just have had her mother die or abandon her or something..

the Glee news confuses me.. if it's two less episodes because of ratings, have they just not shot them yet? or are they shaving two episode off season 6 and pushing the last two episodes for season 5 to the beginning of 6? crazy.
Flag
I'm so happy their releasing an alternate ending for HIMYM, not that I was disappointed with the finale because I'm one of The fans that truely enjoyed it, but because it means the show isn't truly over yet for me.

Also, I am really loving the sound of 12 Monkeys, even if the title is funny
Flag
You've never heard of Twelve Monkeys? Do yourself a favor and go watch one of the best movies ever made along with Brad Pitt's first Oscar-nominated performance.
Flag
I still disagree with Barney reverting back to his season 1 self after divorcing Robin, but the episode could be just "meh" instead of "INFURIATINGLY BAD" if those last 5 minutes were cut out and the series ended with the train going across the screen right after Ted met Tracy.
Flag
"I still disagree with Barney reverting back to his season 1 self after divorcing Robin"

Why? He reverted every OTHER time he ended a relationship.
Flag
Indeed. Barney thought Robin was the only one who could get him to grow up and a kid turned out to be another solution. I loved that turn around for him (not to mention one of NPH's best performances!)
Flag
Reversal of character growth, I would bet.
Flag
Let the HIMYM news continue! Kaitlin's rants against the ending never cease to entertain. btw I've never watched a single second of the show, is it any good?
Flag
I would still recommend it! There are alot of vocal people hating on the finale but I'm one of the ones who actually liked it. I get the feeling the DVD's will be cheap soon so give it a go!
Flag
Nope, not anymore.
Flag
Its amazing. It blends non conventional humor with genuine human emotion and a true representation of friendship. I also loved the finale, in almost all ways. I have more of a problem with the entire final season being set at a doomed wedding than with the finale itself.
Flag
No, it's not, ben, but you need to watch a few seconds or even an entire episode and you can confirm that it's not a good show. The hamburger episode wasn't bad, but the rest sucked. Oh, and the Ricardo ending was cute, which is why CBS deleted it everywhere. Did you see it before it was deleted? It was MUCH better than the crap ending the show had, and now CBS thinks people will be stupid enough to pay for what Ricardo had all over the web before CBS deleted it.

You can't make this stuff up. But be glad you didn't waste 9 years of your life on this crap. Did you waste 8 years of your life on Dexter the Lumberjack? Sadly, I did.

P.S. Google Ricardo Dylan makes a new ending for how i met your mother and see how busy CBS was in deleting a much better ending.
Flag
Thanks, I did do the lumberjack wasting thing.
Flag
Why would CBS care if people are pirating the show, edited or not? They're done running it, and they don't own it. 20th-Century Fox TV does.

It was a great show. Good writers and an awesome cast.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members