A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

How I Met Your Mother S09E13: "Bass Player Wanted"

The ninth and final season of How I Met Your Mother has admittedly been a rocky one so far. Its earliest episodes—barring the one-hour season premiere—struggled to balance the characters in the new "all wedding wedding, all season long" format, but after several less-than-charming installments, the series has at last settled into a pattern that is mostly pleasing on a week-to-week basis. (Feel free to use that in your promo materials, CBS!) Once the series remembered what it made it so endearing in the first place—mixing emotional moments with humor—it started to return to form. Once the show remembered how to use flashbacks to its advantage, it began to feel like the series we used to know. And once the series figured out how to integrate Marshall into the main plot, the quality of each episode went way, way up. So with tonight's "Bass Player Wanted," the series can definitely say it ended 2013 on a high note.

Marshall finally arrived at the wedding this week, but before he could pause his fight with Lily or threaten Barney with the final slap, he met the Mother. She picked him up in a van as he walked along the side of the road en route to the Farhampton Inn. That makes Marshall the third member of the gang to meet the show's titular lady, after Lily and Barney. Of the three meetings so far, Lily's is still my favorite, because it was our first real glimpse at who the Mother is, but I've enjoyed the fact that in each chance meeting she's been a breath of fresh air, swooshing into people's lives to offer wisdom and guidance. It was also nice to see Marshall and Lily returning the favor tonight as we finally gained some insight into the Mother's character, as she worried about the future of her band, Superfreakonomics. 

As it turns out, the band's lead singer Darren, played by the talented Andrew Rannells, had taken over the band and was planning on kicking her out. Once she discovered the ad for a new bass player (hence the episode's title), she decided to quit before he could kick her out. But thanks to a bit of Aldrin Justice™ and a level-headed Stick Up For Yourself speech from Marshall, she decided to tough it out, which worked out in the end when karma finally met up with Darren; Ted punched him after he bumped into him, forcing him to drop the third bottle (the second that was stolen) of $600 Glen McKenna scotch. You go, Ted! As a result, Darren quit the band and the Mother bought Ted—sight unseen, of course—a drink to thank him. 

Ted and the Mother were so close in "Bass Player Wanted," yet they're still so far away. I still don't think there's any reason to believe Ted will meet her before the final moments of the series, but I do foresee increased screen time for Cristin Milioti, especially in the series' 200th episode, "How Your Mother Met Me," which airs at the end of January and will really introduce her character. Unlike many viewers, I don't subscribe to the notion that more appearances by the Mother would have made the fist half of Season 9 less rocky. Not even her charm could erase the weak writing that littered the season's earliest episodes. But I certainly agree that the Mother has been a welcome addition each and every time she has appeared this season, and tonight was no exception. I look forward to her first meeting with Robin, which I hope is soon now that she has returned to the inn.

In addition to moving along both Marshall's and the Mother's storylines, "Bass Player Wanted" also made some progress on the Ted Is Moving to Chicago front. Thanks to Darren—who somehow discovers everyone's deepest, darkest secrets and then uses them to tear apart friendships—Barney now knows that Ted is planning on hightailing it out of New York only 12 hours after Barney and Robin exchange vows. It was a wonderfully written scene, originally played for laughs until it wasn't anymore, as Barney came to grips with the knowledge that his best friend was moving in less than 48 hours and he hadn't even told him. Barney eventually came to understand that Ted was leaving because he needed a fresh start without Robin in his life, and although I still think Barney probably gave in too easily, I'm just glad this secret is finally making the rounds. Obviously, we know that Ted never actually moves because he meets the Mother, but this has been hanging over our heads as much as Marshall's impending judgeship, and for some reason it's largely been ignored as if it's not also a life-changing event. Secrets are like a loaded gun, and I'm not necessarily looking forward to the episode in which Robin discovers Ted is moving. 

If the episode had ended with Ted drinking the scotch the Mother had bought for him as the best man, it still would have been a successful episode, and maybe one of the best of Season 9 so far. Andrew Rannell's Darren was an on-going gag that wasn't played out (I could argue he was a plot contrivance used to move certain storylines forward, but it's very hard to say anything bad about Rannells so I won't nitpick), the conversations between characters that occurred without actually speaking thankfully ended before I threw something at my TV, the episode further illuminated the puzzle that is the Mother, and the whole gang was reunited once again. So yes, "Bass Player Wanted" would have been labeled a successful final episode for 2013 if it had ended there. 

But the fact that the episode ended with Marshall and Barney and the promise of the final slap made sure fans would be excited for the series to return in a few weeks. "Slap Bet" is still one of the series' best episodes, and fans have been waiting years for the final slap to occur. According to the Slap Bet Countdown Clock, it will arrive in the January 13 episode, so here's to 2014 and what I hope will continue to be a funny, heartwarming Season 9 of How I Met Your Mother. Please don't blow this great momentum you've got going here, and I'll see you all in the new year.

NOTES

– There were some nice callbacks in this week's episode, including Marshall's obsession with Bigfoot, Marshall and Lily pausing their fights, and Ted's insistence that Marshall is his best friend not Barney. It's been awhile since we've seen any of those jokes, and although I think it's safe to say Barney is definitely best friend material now, it was cool to hear it again. Also a nice callback: The Mother going to business school, as we know she was in the class Ted thought was his architecture class when he first started teaching.

– The Mother was wearing driving gloves!

– "I said science is this close to a pill."

– MARSHALL IS AT THE WEDDING. THANK YOU, GOD.

thekaitling:list:himym-whats-the-verdict-on-bass-player-wanted/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

167 Comments
Comments (167)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I agree, I love the callbacks! I like when there's coherence in a series, and, well... they're trying a lot and I applaud them for it :)
Flag
Nope, still not good enough. So many things were forced into the storyline, that I just couldn't get past it. Much better than that tripe from the previous episode at least. At least the mother is awesome ... that's the only thing this season has got going for it.
Flag
I don't understand why so much stock is put in the mother. I know what the show is called, but after almost a decade of it being about everything but, I couldn't care less. Plus Ted being the most annoying and douchey character I've ever seen on TV, gives me little seeing him happy.
Flag
One of the greatest sitcoms ever alongside TBBT
Flag
A superb episode. They finally got the band back together!
Flag
according to the source code of theslapbetcountdown.com the slap is scheduled to occur on January 13,2014 at 17:27:00 hrs.
Flag
The gang always drinking was fine when episodes were days or weeks apart, but now that it is the same day, I wonder how they will be at the wedding...
Flag
Ummm...after this slap, there is still one left.
Flag
I thought there was too, because I'm pretty sure Barney said it was the 4th slap as he cringed.
Flag
Staff
You're right! I'm slipping in my old age!
Flag
Although I'm thrilled Marshall is finally reunited, the Mother picking him up on the side of the road made me wonder why no one volunteered to go get him when the bus broke down. Ted drove in and shouldn't Rajit be around?
Flag
Its a sitcom, not sci-fi
Flag
They were all at the rehearsal dinner when the bus broke down so they couldn't really go pick him up.
Flag
Not to mention any other guests who likely drove in... like James or Barney's brother. Harumph. Oh well--back to rejoicing this particular storyline is over.
Flag
Loved this ep, when Lily turned and saw Marshall after beating Marshpillow it felt as if they hadn't seen each other in a very long time, it was emotional. I wasn't sure about the rest of the gang meeting the Mother first, but now I'm really enjoying it, also very glad they're pulling out the old jokes like Alan Thicke and Slap Bet. Sometimes the journey is just as interesting as the destination.
Flag
Finally finally finally, the Mother is back. Mary Sue-ness be damned, that was the best episode of season 9. I wonder the significance of the gang's order of meeting the Mother. Lily, Barney, Marshall, and finally Robin.
Flag
Better than the rest of this crappy season, but this show is still waaaaayyyyy past it's expiration date.
Flag
I have to say. I think that this was the best of the season. The mother is adorable. http://bit.ly/1cMLZwa
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode. A lot of funny moments, all plots led forward, nothing really corny, and everyone was in full character. It was great when Barney realized on his own why Ted was moving to Chicago and accepted it, and it showed how good of friends the two of them are. The Disney references were really funny too, and I liked the mother. Plus Marshal is now there which just made the show 100 times better, I almost forgot how much funnier the show is with him. Just a win all around
Flag
I enjoyed this episode a lot, but I thought that they would give us one other nugget...the Mother's first name! I mean I guess they deliberately cut to after the introduction when she picked Marshall up? But no, not really...I would think after she explained herself, Marshall would go to shake her hand like and be, nice to meet you...But okay, then I thought in his little fit, Darren would just off hand call her by her name, or at least some name and have her say to Linus, we've been in the same band for three years and he doesn't even call me by my right name.
Flag
I'm waiting for it to be the last line of the episode. Lily, Barney, Marshall and Ted have already met her. Ted sees the Mother at the wedding, they reunite at the train station. Ted brings her to the bar to meet the gang: "Hey, have you met ____?"
Flag
So much and so little at the same time...
The promise of a slap but no slap, Chicago's secret leaks but just to Barney and that was too quick and too fast resolved, Marshal's back but just in the very end. The mother on screen but yet again too fast.
By the way I was not sure how many slaps were in play, I thought one but was not certain then I asked and someone said two too me. I'm glad it's the last and that it will be soon. I was saying "on the altar" but compared to the clock-down it seems I'm wrong.

I was very pleased by this episode, it was fumy, emotional, Marshal is "back" (even if I didn't think he was so absent as other here).
The mother is very funny. I laughed so much when Marshall hided in the back of the van!! I think I prefer this meeting the most, just before Barney's. I'm curious to watch the last one with Robin.
Flag
This was one of the best episodes this season and it kept me laughing either at least smiling all the time, just like good ol' times. The Slap is coming! And the gang's full once again, YAY!
Flag
This was actually a really great episode, and I really enjoyed it. I've been wondering where the mother was mostly because she had arrived at the inn - presumably - when Lily did, yet was nowhere to be seen. The inn isn't THAT big. It's almost nice that they kept us guessing though, because it makes those moments of initial connection with the others even more meaningful. I do hope to see more of her in the next half, though... we only have so many episodes left :(

From the way Ted said Marshall regretted saying he could walk the distance, I expected something terrible to happen, or at least several crazy shenanigans. Instead, he saw fulfilled one of his lifelong dreams, and he met the future wife of his best friend. That sounds like an awesome time to me! I also loved that the mother freaked him out by "knowing" all the details about his life. She is clearly awesome and you can see what perfect friends she and Lily will become.

I LOVE that Ted was the one to punch out Darren. Super awesome move :D I'm looking forward to the next episode, provided they keep up the balance of funny moments and emotional moments.
More+
Flag

omg this was seriously one of the best mid seasons finale!

so many feelings in one episode! from the start this episode got better and better and the mother had a lot to do with it! with every episode she is in the season she brings so much light into this show! you just really get to know her and see why she is the perfect girl.

the devil guy darren from the band started lots of wars in the episode between lily and robin and ted and barney. the fight of barney and ted left me hanging when barney thinks he isn't a good/best friend of ted's. so when the two hug my feelings explode!

and it was great to see robin helping lily with marshall taking the judgeship. using her ''marshall'' pillow as a distraction and an object to focur her hate was brilliant (cuz sometimes I do that too, hit on things when I'm angry as hell). but marshall seeing that really made me speechless and tear up, especially when lily stopped when she heard him calling her and then turned around facing him with tears in her eyes just saying ''pause?''. this moment right there brought I think not just me but everyone who has seen this show from the beginning to season 1 when they had their big fight. so I am incredibly nervous to see what will happen next with marshall and lily.

so now to the mother....I just can say that I LOVED her in this episode!!! as cliché as it might be being her that took marshall and marvin to the farhamptons, the conversation between her and marshall was great! the two of them seem really similar to each other and marshall encouraging her to stand up and face her enemy was 'the moment' for me.

let's get to the far end of the episode: the mother trying to find the strengh to tell darren to leave her band alone, she left it be. because she thought that karma wouldn't do anything for him. so the moment when darran ran into ted (who was pouring the 600$ worth scotch into glasses for everyone), he spilled the scoth and that's when ted got mad and punched the guy! so darren walking into the bar and yelling at the mother that the best man just hit him was the perfect turnaround. she therefor said to the bartender to give ted the best double of scotch they had. so that is how we know how ted got the bandage!!!

himym really did a great job in this episode.. the didn't just clear some things out but they actually managed to put sentences in the episode that the group already used in previous episodes like ted saying to barney he would be too liberal with the sentence 'that's the dream' or lily saying 'pause' or marshall's song. all in all for ME this episode was a success and I am really looking forward to see and to find out what will happen next!

but first we have to wait 'til the new year to get any new episodes!

*I really hope I didn't forget anything*

OH WAIT I KNOW: THE END!
marshall apologising to barney for not being at his rehearsal dinner and that he got a present for him but he was going to wait until after the wedding to give it to him. but how we all know barney he just gotzzz to know! so marshal went for the SLAP!!!! - TO BE CONTINUED...
(CLIFFHANGER)

More+
Flag
The best part was that Marshal's voyage around the world is finally over and he's with the rest of the group.
Flag
The Mother has been the highlight of the whole season and glad that tool Darren got punched, scotch is SCOTCH!!
Flag
How much of a relief must it be that basically everybody likes Cristin Milloti? I mean, she's written like a perfect manic pixie dream girl and then some, but that was always a given, and it could have just as well turned obnoxious, as she has to keep ticking the boxes the show has pre-set for her in seasons past.

So yeah, lots of relieved sighs at HIMYM Central (which I choose to believe is an actual place and looks like the war room in Dr. Strangelove). Well deserved, too.
Flag
This was definitely a great episode to end the year on for all the reasons you said. The show is definitely figuring out the right way to balance the wedding weekend concept with the flashbacks and flashforwards.

I am really enjoying that we're finally advancing some of these other plot points along as well. People needed to find out about Ted leaving and we need to have Lily and Marshall have it out.

Hopefully they can keep this momentum going when it returns from winter break.
Flag
Poor girl.. She is going to be called "The Mother" for a long long time...
Flag
I thought this was a really good episode. It had just the right amount of touches of everything (funny, emotional) and it tied up (at least partially) some of the issues that have been hanging over the heads of our crew for the first half of this final season (Ted leaving for Chicago, Marshall's never-ending journey to the wedding - he FINALLY made it :), Lily and Marshall finally confronting his taking the judgeship behind her back - although thats not particularly settled just yet, the issues will be dealt with swiftly now that he has made it to the inn.) I really loved the callback to seasons past (slap bet, Marshall being Ted's best friend - though we know Barney is too, Marshall and Lily pausing during an argument). This really felt like an old episode of HIMYM, and I really enjoyed it. I know alot of people have complained about the direction of the show in this final season, and while I do understand the frustration, episodes like this make it all worth while.

I loved the scenes of the Mother (I couldn't love Cristin Milioti more!) and Marshall driving to the inn (and I love that she was wearing DRIVING GLOVES). Ted and Barney's talk about Ted's move to Chicago was very nicely done, and I like how though Barney was initially upset he did understand why Ted wanted to leave (even if he didn't want him to go). I also like how Ted went to the liquor store and stole a bottle of Glen Mckenna for Barney (Thats the dream!) Lily beating the hell out her Marsh-pillow because she is mad at Marshall. We also now know how Ted's hand got bandaged at the wedding - way to go Mosby! I love that the first drink the mother got him was done anonymously. Overall a very well done episode, and with a slap waiting to be doled when we return (as well as one more additional slap), January cannot come fast enough.
More+
Flag
I LOVED the episode. It felt like a "finally!" The show has been improving this season, maybe because it is the last one. And now that Marshall is back (seriously, the payoff of him and the mother in the van was worth at least 75% of the Daphne moments!!!) I'm looking forward to things feeling more cohesive.

THe mother freaking Marshall out about the psychic thing was fantastic.

I'm thinking that might be how Ted has a bandage on his hand, hitting the douche who likes to give "emotional prostate exams."

Using the mother sparingly has probably been an advantage as well. I am one of the people who want more of her, but that is because she lights up every scene she is in with everyone, including the few with Ted. The problem is would I want her around as much if she were used all the time? I don't know. The process of her meeting everyone else is perfect, because we get to KNOW how perfect she is for Ted without having to have them meet (which should be the last thing that happens). A couple of flash backs and flash forwards have really made this be the best way to introduce the mother. Or at least in the top 5. I had some other ideas, but that is beside the point.

Regardless, the actual REAL subject matter infused with humor made this show one of my favorites this season. The Judgeship, the wedding, the move, even though there was so much humor in everything, it was real. (for television)Robin didn't want to lose her best friend (you've seen all the ones she has running around...) Lily wasn't sure whose dream mattered more. Barney was upset that Ted didn't mention the move, but NPH played the realization of why he was leaving so well... ugh.

AND THEN! The SLAP! I knew it was coming!!! I got so excited and now I'm really lookinf forward to the final episodes of the show.

Hopefully no one goes off and lives like a lumberjack.
More+
Flag
At the beginning of this season there were three things i wanted to see:
1. The final 2 slaps.
2. Robin Sparkles 5.
3. Find out what Barney's job is.

It seems like the first of those three will be very soon.
The episode wasn't great, but not bad either.
I guess it is appropriate for Robin to be the last one to meet the mother.
Flag
All I can say is thank you god for creating the people who are involved with this show.
Flag
Slap bet...check
driving gloves...check
Marshall is finally back with the group,,,check
Great episode, great review. especially checking on the slap bet countdown website! I promise I will share credit with that if the people I forwarded the link to ask. maybe. I could be busy that day. :)
Flag
The key point of that website, says 'Slap Scheduled' - By definition, that means ONE slap, of the two remaining. The question is: Will that next slap be the only one for the season, or will there be two?
Flag
They may save the last slap for the last episode. I'm just happy they aren't going to forget about them. I know they are realllllllllllllllly good about finishing these things, but they have gone entire seasons without bringing it up, so this made me happy.
Flag
I just *love* how adorable and hilarious the Mother is. Genuinely.

Can't wait for the Mother-lode episode, and of course the slap-isode!
Flag
It is starting to feel like the end. While I agree, that the Mother certainly seems to make every episode better, this episode was great because it actually progressed the plot, Barney knows about Chicago, and Marshall is finally at the wedding, and with all the characters, and the Mother at the wedding, we are getting closer to the wedding, which could hopefully take place somewhat soon, maybe February sweeps is too optimistic. Given that after the wedding we still have the reception before Ted and the Mother meet. Hopefully we are done, or at least almost done with the filler episodes and we can get more episode like this, which was one of the best episodes all season, only beaten by the premiere.
Flag
As I pointed out in a reply to a comment below, the 'end' will be determined by how many slaps are doled out, this season.

If it's one slap, there will be another season.
If it's two slaps, this season is the last.
Flag
Is there not two slaps left?
Flag
Yes Kaitlin, Marshall's got two left.

1. "Slap Bet" - Marshall won five slaps for "all of eternity" and uses one here. 4 left.
2. "Stuff" - uses one. Three left.
3. "Slapsgiving" - uses one. Two left.
4. "Slapsgiving 2: Revenge of the Slap" - uses one. One left.
5. "Disaster Averted" - Marshall gets three more slaps as a deal with Barney so he can get out of wearing The Ducky Tie. Immediately uses two. The video below doesn't have these. Two left.
Flag
Staff
Good call! I forgot about the extra slaps.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
"Mother" Miliotti is scheduled to be on Letterman tomorrow night. I've never seen her interviewed, so it should be interesting.
Flag
Thanks for the heads up! I have no idea what she's like either, but I think that's been a good thing for season 9.
Flag
ass player
Flag
Disappointing episode..especially since it's the last one for a month or whatever. 11 left..hopefully they finish up strong.
Flag
So, let me get this straight: All you will be doing, over the christmas/new year period, is white-knuckling your way through until the next HIMYM episode?

This was a smart move, because they know that at least 50% of the world's population, will be getting very drunk and having a damn good time, over the next 4 weeks, and won't give a poop sticking to a rat's furry backside, about tv shows, until it's all over and done with, so the next episode will have their complete, undivided attention!
Flag
I don't remember saying anything like that. Just saying prior to an hiatus you should want to finish up strong. Over the next month I'll be doing the same thing I do on a daily basis..working..working out and hanging out with my friends.
Flag
Stop drinking that cheap whisky. Switch to Glen McKenna 35. The cheap stuff is making say stupid things.
The mother playing psychic and freaking out Marshall was one of the best scenes ever.
Flag
When was the last time you paid $30+ for a single shot of whisky?!
Flag
But that idiot is so easy to freak out anyway. Now even Lily joined my wish that he should be run over by a truck ( ok van in this case :) Unfortunately that didn't happen.
Flag
1. Mother!!!!!!!!!
2. Ted and the Mother really are perfect for one another
3. I can't wait for the finale two slaps
Flag
Point 3 is interesting....If there is only one slap in this current season, it means there will be a 10th season.
Flag
I read that before the countdown was set to jan 13, it was aimed at an episode in april. I'm thinking the finale (or near to it) has the final slap.
Flag
Given that this season has been promoted since the spring as the final season, they aren't going to do a 10th season.
Flag
nah... have a feeling there will be a festival of slaps (2 slaps in 1 episode) on 13th jan
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Would anyone be surprised if it was revealed that the toy car that earlier hobbled Ted's weekend date somehow fell out of the mother's purse?
Flag
Staff
With that mustache, Rannells looks eerily like Nick Zano. Are we sure they aren't the same person?
Flag
Cristin Milioti is adorable
Flag
that episode was legend-wait-for-it-DARY!! felt like the end of series 4 when they all jumped the building together. How I met your mother, enough with the stupid horseplay of comedy you are throwing into this season, ruining 9 years of dedication and use this episode's formula. Emotion and comedy is what this final season needs. Stop hanging on to what you think works and leave the foolery behind of fart jokes and trying to work BRO into every word in the English dictionary. This episode should be used as an example of how to work the rest of the season, the great reviews (which I'm fully sure it will get them) should be followed with great heed by the writers on creating a send off that the show truly deserves!
Flag
How can you hate fart jokes!?! Shame on you!!
Flag
So, all they did was fight because of the devil..., & it was AMAZING. So yeah, the mom was there, & she kicked ass, but still, the gang together is the damn gang together.
Also, the mom & Marshall fit so equally. Really alike. Though I find it interesting that so far, she has helped out everyone, so the Aldrin Justice & Marshall's advice were there to balance the scale.
I hope that when Robin meets her, she helps the mother in any way, you know?
I really loved this episode. The season is picking up pretty well.
Flag
I was afraid they had forgotten the slaps! :D
Flag
Nah, callbacks is the thing this show is best at. The whole show is one big flashback to start with.
Flag
Awkwardly framed sentence. Yikes.
Flag
Yea and prepositions you shouldn't end your sentences with.
Flag
Better yet, prepositions are something you shouldn't end your sentences with.
Flag
I see what you did there.
Flag
Two more to go, I am really hoping one happens during the wedding...
Flag
I was thinking to straighten Barney up when he is getting ready for the wedding and freaking out.
Flag
That episode was soo good! i don't hate this current season like many ohters do, but some eps have been a little disappointing. It's clear that everything works better when the whole gang is together, even if they're fighting.
And when I say "the whole gang" i now include The Mother, she makes all the others feel better, she's really awesome.
My only complaint is with tonight's final scene...just get it done! (tryin to stay as spoiler free as possible)
Flag
YAY!!! The gang is back together!!! And the Mother is so adorable. Lily and Marshall's meeting had me holding my breath; glad they hit the pause cause the tension was palpable.
Flag
WOOOOO Another slap incoming!!!
Flag
Marshall!

Flag
Best episode of the season! More proof that the Mother makes things amazing and Darren wasn't overly annoying, he was the perfect amount of douchiness! Marshall and the mother are I'm the building!!!
Flag
!!!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Caught on Camera With Nick Cannon High Jinx
    NEW
    NBC
  •  
    500 Questions
    NEW