A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

Even though How I Met Your Mother is technically the story of Ted Mosby and how he first encountered the woman who bore his children, without Marshall, Lily, Barney, and Robin as supporting players, the series would simply be a collection of Ted's most pretentious moments, interspersed with sweet romantic gestures toward all the wrong women. Without Robin to tell him when he's being a douche, or without Barney roping him into harebrained schemes, who knows how Ted's life might've turned out! Each of How I Met Your Mother's core characters has played a pivotal role not only in Ted's life, but in the series overall. So as the end of the show inches closer, we've decided to relive some their funniest and most memorable moments. We've already brought you the best of Marshall and Lily, and now it's time to tackle the most legendary HIMYM character of all: Barney Stinson! 

How do you begin to describe Barney Stinson? It's widely known in HIMYM circles that Barney was originally supposed to be a Jack Black-esque gent who fancied himself a ladies' man, but Neil Patrick Harris ended up winning the part and Barney became a lovable horndog who looked much better shirtless. Sure, Barney hasn't always been the best influence on Ted; like, remember the time they were arrested for attempting to lick the Liberty Bell? Or the time they—wait, most of Barney's ideas have been ridiculous, and historically, they've ended badly for Ted or Barney or both. But Barney has always been the life of the party, and the gang could always count on him to make them laugh or feel better whenever they were feeling down. He's That Guy, the one who can and will say or do anything, even if it crosses the line. Lily always let him know when he'd gone too far, and Ted was always his best friend and usually his partner in crime, but it wasn't until he fell in love with Robin in Season 4 that we saw any real character growth. Barney's feelings for Robin were the emotional reminder that Barney is a real person with real feelings, and that made fans love him more. Even when HIMYM wasn't at its best, Barney was always there with a joke, a new scheme, or well-timed crack about Ted to make everything seem worthwhile. It's hard to choose Barney's best moments considering that his sole mission in life has always been to make everything he does awesome and legendary, but I've gathered up a few of my favorites. 

Laser Tag!

His "Get Psyched" mix

High fives!

The video resume 

Barney's apartment

The Playbook

Future Ted and Future Barney harmonize on "The Longest TIme"

Barney's various history lessons

"I love Tacos"

Sick Barney

Most importantly: Barney's love of suits

Honorable mentions: 

The proposal, the rehearsal dinner, I'm awesome, puppies, and about a floppity jillion other things. 

thekaitling:list:whos-your-favorite-himym-character/

What makes YOUR list of favorite Barney Stinson moments?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

66 Comments
Comments (66)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
His scared reactions to the Slap Bet, the Bro Code, so many to choose from
Flag
Barney Stinson is a book full of quotes and catchphrases. I just cannot pick one.
Flag
I loved the jealous/mad Barney when Robin and Ted had that roommates with benefits thing going on.
Flag
SWARLEY!
Flag
His robot play is another good one
Flag
For the Longest Time is how I feel right now about this show. I'm really enjoying these lists. I also love when Barney behaves naive, like when they find James's father and all those moments when he get emotional.
Flag
Notice how almost all of your top picks are from early seasons? Stings a little in the heart region...
Flag
Minor note: Ted and Barney didn't get arrested for trying to lick the Liberty Bell. They were detained by airport security for leaving suspicious luggage at the airport in New York, which they then show Barney doing repeatedly. They are let go and eventually make it to the Liberty Bell and lick it as is noted by Ted who tells a girl at McLaren's later that it tasted like "freedom"
Flag
not a how i met your mother moment per say but their external friendship this what make the show feel so real! And why i also love NPH
Flag
I've always had a hard time deciding between Barney and Marshall.

Although I tuned out before Christmas (plan to watch the series when it ends) there is no denying it will be missed.
Flag
I can't believe in my earlier post I forgot to give a shout out to the episode that made me start watching in the first place! The first episode of HIMYM I ever saw was the one where Marshall injures himself and cannot compete in his marathon, so Barney says that he will race and win it, even though he has done nothing to prepare for it. That episode remains one of my overall favorites of the series.
Flag
I love that one! That and the bracket. Of course I'm mad at the show now that I saw the finale, but I digress...
Flag
Likewise :
Flag
That is supposed to be a sad face. Let me try again.....

:(
Flag
Barney's inventions are often a hoot. The Ho-be-gone, or whatever it was called, was hilarious. Especially when Robin finally decided to ask the question: where do the ho's go?

His Jor-El hologram device was also funny.
Flag
Best Barney moment: when he convinced Lily to come back from San Francisco, and how he kept Marshall from seeing anyone else until she came back.

Flag
Agreed, but it went against the actual timeline, during the time period that Barney was 'stealing' girls from Marshall, Lily was already back in New York looking for a new apartment with Ted & Robin. While I totally want to agree that Barney being the one to go tell Lily to come home, they did mess that up ever so slightly.
Flag
my favorite scene is where Marshall reminds Ted that its his fault that there is a whole next to the door cause it was Robins fault and they were dating. Then we see a flashback and you think drunk Robin made the whole by playing ice hockey while being drunk but then Lily stops her, they start a fight and Ted stops it and suddenly and out of no where Barney freaks out and screams: NO TED, NO YOU NEVER STOP A GIRLS FIGHT and smashes his hand in the wall and leaves.. I laughed sooo much when I saw that
Flag
Seeing alkot of great memories but I can't believe nobody has mentioned Barneys decleration of love for Bimbos.

You know where Lily says that Barney has to choose between bimbos or Robin, and he goes into one of his rants about the greatness of bimbos,It's easily one of my favourites :D
Flag
The exploding sandwich.
Flag
Never watched this show, but almost as important a farewell is the end of TWOP on May 31st. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Whom will their moderators bully now?
Flag
Neil Patrick Harris has been one of the best actors on tv for a while. But I still pick Lily Aldrin as the best charactor on tv today.
Flag
Barney getting slapped, or his reaction to anything related to getting slapped
The Bro Code
His hyper-activeness
His life story about how he recovered from/screwed Shannon and screwed over that other guy
Suits ('nuff said there)
Honestly every group of friends needs a barney

Flag
So many memories!!!!! But it's going away "Solemn Five?" *raises hand*
Flag
Ted teaching Barney how to drive is one of my favorite moments in the entire series. "Throw me the idol, I'll throw you the whip..... screaming is fun!!!" I, just about, die laughing every time.
Flag
For some reason, Game Night is sticking out in my mind the most. Just loved how he created this emotional moment with the gang talking about how he went back to see the ex girlfriend who had stabbed him in back and the heart to heart and the whole group is feeling sympathy for him (even Lily). And then he goes "My life's awesome! Afterwards I nailed Shannon!" The gang just stares silently, some in disapproval. So Barney.
Flag
I'll always remember Barney's evil laugh - gets me every time I see it. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ERd3GlvxL8
Flag
Barney's giant Jor El style head, with him being all Wizard of Oz in the cupboard is my personal favorite moment. Anytime he gets so frustrated with Ted he can't form words just kills me every time. "Ted, ugh...Just....okay!"
Flag
Best moment with Barney for me was his Fiero memory. The one where Ted teaches him to drive and he utterly fails at it.
Flag
"Left....Left....Which way is left, I'm totally blanking!" *Randomly turns on the radio*
Flag
The crazy game that Barney plays with Chinese businessmen in S02E08 "Atlantic City".
Flag
The Playbook
The Bro Code
His apartment
Suits
His job, which could have gotten him killed and/or indicted but he's been cooperating with the feds in a very long ploy for revenge

Flag
The ring bear!
Flag
Ted and Barney's telepathic conversation in "Three days of snow" has to be my fav. The whole running a bar idea was simply awesome. Also, magic tricks!
Flag
Puzzles!
Flag
The Bob Barker episode where Barney goes on the Price is Right and dominates the competition.
Flag
All that tell me one thing, I'm really eager to watch next episode and I'll miss the show a lot. Ok that was two things. It is a bit funny that Ted who is normally the main character of this show at least the show is about him meeting the mother but he is second last in the poll. I vote for Barney but Ted was just a after.
Speaking of Ted will we see him again. All his partners did a lot of other things but he except HIMYM seems no have done so much. And 9 years in a show doing the same thing it could be hard to take Josh apart from Ted.
9 years it's a long time when we thought of it, I'll "spend" 9 years with them and soon it will be over, it's strange when you think of it. I told myself the same thing watching the last of "Friends". It's been a lot of years and I'm still here. I hope they have television in Heaven (or in Hell) :).
Flag
the fact that Barney never looks bad on a photo!
Flag
Except for the ones in the opening credits:)
Flag
Or when he eat cilantro lol
Flag
You're a bit of a dreamer Kaitlin and I love that about you. You still have faith in stuff like HIMYM and Revenge. This makes all your articles and reviews sparkle with your bubbly enthusiasm, and I love reading them, even if I don't watch them anymore. Don't ever change:-)
Flag
Staff
Some people might call that enthusiasm a "completely disillusioned view of the world," but I like yours better. :)
Flag
I actually still watch HIMYM becaquse it's still good sometimes. And I'm counting on you to tell me when Revenge gets good again, headin' for the home stretch and smoking the Graysons once and for all. Nolan and Emily become millionaires--wait, what? That would be a step down--never mind. But Emily and Nolan ride off into the sunset in their jet as a teary-eyed Victoria watches from her prison cell, and then smiles as she remembers she's not actually Victoria Grayson, but Madeline Stowe and still has all of that well-deserved dough--and that's a wrap...

I'm a bit of a dreamer, too...
Flag
Absolutely the laser tag and the 'For the Longest Time' (their vocalization still pops into my head) would be on my list. Also:

- Legen - wait for it - dary!
- Barney's attempt at an airport challenge during which he and Ted had a crazy adventure (I'm not sure why, but that one has always been near the top of my list for his challenges)
- being Canadian, I have always loved the scene when Barney and Robin are in a Tim Hortons in Toronto - hilarious!
- most of all, my favorite Barney moment was when he went to get Lily back... either that, or when he cried all through their wedding ceremony in the park

To me, even though dating Robin started it, Barney's full character (and true self) really came about during his relationship with Nora (at least in my opinion). I LOVED them together, and I'm still bitter about it. When his heart literally skipped a beat during dinner with her, that sold me on it.
Flag
The playbook is brilliant. And laser tag. &3 Barney. You're too good for Robin, dude!!!
Flag
Awesome and quite, wait for it, legendary list of the best of Barney :) Laser tag, suits, Playbook, history lessons... damn it, I love everything about Barney but his mellow hippie version
Flag
One could not just pick one or ten or hundred moments for Barney. His each scene is just legendary.
Flag
'I love tacos' breaks my heart every time. Season 4 was definitely my favorite season for Barney.

I suck at choosing my favorites momentS, because there're so many but I can't remember any :(

Oh! Legen -Wait for it and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the next part of the word is- Dary. LEGENDARY!
Flag
All of Barney's catchphrases
Flag
Follow this Show
Members