A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

Even though How I Met Your Mother is technically the story of Ted Mosby and how he first encountered the woman who bore his children, without Marshall, Lily, Barney, and Robin as supporting players, the series would simply be a collection of Ted's most pretentious moments, interspersed with sweet romantic gestures toward all the wrong women. Without Robin to tell him when he's being a douche, or without Barney roping him into harebrained schemes, who knows how Ted's life might've turned out. Each of How I Met Your Mother's core characters has played a pivotal role not only in Ted's life, but in the series overall. So as the end of the show inches closer, we've decided to relive some their funniest and most memorable moments—and we're started today with Marshall!

Jason Segel's Marshall Eriksen is a sweet, mostly innocent, soft and lovable man-child with dreams of saving the world and a fear of Sasquatch, and if there was ever a question of how much of an impact he's had on the overall chemistry of the series, we need only look to the first half of Season 9 to understand that Marshall is the glue that holds the gang together. Because of Segel's personal schedule, Marshall was separated from the rest of the wedding shenanigans for several episodes while taking the worst road trip story in recent memory. The more time Marshall spent away from the group, the more obvious it became that his presence (or lack thereof) greatly affected the group dynamic, as well as the quality of the stories the show was telling. Marshall's role as a loyal best friend, a loving husband, and an expert board game creator is a necessary piece of the show's overall puzzle. Here are some of my favorite Marshall moments from How I Met Your Mother's nine seasons, in honor of the mark he's left on our heart.

The Slap Bet is the gift that keeps on giving

We all love the Slap Bet and every hilarious moment it's produced over the years, but the song that Marshall composed for "Slapsgiving" might be the best gift it's ever given us. Although the version used in the episode is funnier than the "studio" version above—Neil Patrick Harris's background vocals really elevate it to the next level—the song itself is easily one of, if not the finest things to come out of Marshall's time on the show.

We heart charts!

Marshall really understands our love of visual learning. And pies. And bars.

Dancing skillz

Lily is a very lucky lady.

KABOOM!

Most of us think of Barney when when asked to recall a How I Met Your Mother catchphrase, but Marshall's "Lawyered!" is probably one of the show's greatest legacies.

Karaoke at the Hoser Hut

A good friend always remembers the important things.

Believing in the unknown

Some people might think Marshall's worldview is naive, but I like to think of it as a simple "appreciation of the unknown." And he's totally not afraid of Sasquatch, he just thinks we should all be on alert. 

Unparalleled Halloween costumes

There are very few things Marshall, and by extension Lily, are better at than costumes.

Legendary video montages

I remember the first time I used iMovie, too.

But really, Marshall is just like the rest of us

thekaitling:list:whos-your-favorite-himym-character/

What's on YOUR list of favorite Marshall moments?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

61 Comments
Comments (61)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Big Fudge and his love of "I Will Walk 1000 Miles" will be missed!
Flag
This is difficult. Oh man.

"SHE DOESN"T LIKE STAR WARS!?"
(After taking the Leap) "I DID IT! I"M GETTING A MOTORCYCLE!"
(Lily): "You absolutely are not!"
"GOUDA?"
"Marshall, versus the Machines!"
BIG FUDGE!
AOBCDA663
CATSITTIN FOR LILYS MOM!

I'm missing a LOT but
I'll miss how positive Marshall always was. And Jason Segel's ability to be hilarious one moment then soul crushing the next. All these actors had great capability and their chemistry just made it easier.
Flag
Marshall walking towards someone, about to get into a fight, only to realize it was a mirror image of himself the entire time. That remains my favorite ever Marshall moment.
Flag
Staff
SO GOOD.
Flag
IT SO WAS!! This was the closest I could find to the clip unfortunately....

Flag
This reminds me, they never really explained Lilys lesbianic ways, did they?
Flag
I think it just stemmed from the fact she missed out on such wild experiences and traditional sexual experimentation at college in favor of Marshall and always feeling she missed out. If I remember right, she always wanted to have a lesbian experience, being a very sexual woman, but never did, until an early episode when Robin gave her a little kiss. After that, her desire grew into an obsession.
Flag
studyin lawww.... on a friday night... makin responsible choices for my futureeee
My friends sing this at least once a friday night
Flag
Another one of my favorites: Best Burger in NY, along with Marshall's epic monologue about the importance of finding the perfect burger.
Flag
He makes great videos and the slapbet of course.
Flag
You forgot the fish jokes

Flag
Standup comedy about fish.
Flag
I liked when he was tailgating at his dad's graveside. At first he wanted his dad's memory all to himself, then he remembered that his dad always included everybody when tailgating. I loved that they had such a great relationship. We don't see many good father/son relationships on TV.
Flag
I love Jason Segel but think Marshall is probably at the bottom of the list of his resume. Along with Lily (yet i love Alyson), they both can be too grating. He has his moments but too often he's too much of a sissy momma's boy. Lily's known to be an ass a lot and the two of them go overboard as the "know it all married couple" and as a result are often the most boring characters on the show. To me, they're mostly there to play a certain role in Ted's life as the couple that can provide him advice and not neccessarily to be comic relief like for instance, Barney.
Flag
Marshall versus the Machines!
Flag
Marshall is my favorite no doubt. I love Barney and his craziness and I love how romantic Ted is, but Marshall is the perfect combination of them. I just can't pick a favorite moment.
I guess the videos are one of them, just as any moment when he talk about sasquatch, I just love him, ok?
Flag
In S01E17 "Life Among the Gorillas", the broish story he tells to be accepted by the other lawyers. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention "Apple Orchard Banana Cat Dance 8663!"
Flag
As a Minnesotan, I always loved when he showed any amount of Minnesota pride or when he mentioned Minnesotan things.

Also the shaved head at the wedding. That was epic.

And his love of the Loch Ness Monster. I call her Nessy now too, and people have no idea what I'm talking about.
Flag
I feel the same way you do about Minnesota whenever something Canadian is mentioned :D
Flag
Staff
And I feel the same way whenever Ted or the show mentions Ohio.
Flag
If you're doing an article for every character, I assume you're finishing with Ted, and going boy-girl-boy-girl-boy would make sense, as would putting putting couple after each other, so I'm guessing Lily is next, so here's my list for her:

Aldrin Justice. Getting The Mother to "steal that douche monkey's van", taking Hammond's baseball, and taking Ted's Christmas decorations.

Her shoplifting. She just loves taking things that aren't hers.

Her different hairstyles over the years

Her desire for frequent, and apparently often kinky, sex. And her bisexual desires, particularly toward Robin. Marshall is a lucky man.

Flag
Staff
Well now I feel like I need to switch up my schedule. WHAT IF TOMORROW IS ACTUALLY BARNEY?
Flag
Or you could make one up for the best of Barney's fake histories
Flag
The Lucky Penny (marathon episode) where Marshall is rubbing his chafed areas, which include his nipples. He's in the bathroom and as he rubs them he says something like "Oh yeah, you Marshall, you do this the best," and Robin walks in on him, and she's like WTF? lol the first time I saw that I spit out my drink.
Flag
Charts
Beercules
Marshall vs. The Machines
Game inventing/ being a game host
Making Barney tremble during Slapsgiving
Flag
CALL ME BEERCULES!
Flag
That time Marshall and Ted got stoned and they thought hours had gone by, and it only had been a couple of minutes?? That was one of the times I laughed the most!!

I'm still in denial about the end.
Flag
omg, I'm gonna miss the gang SO. MUCH...
Flag
I don't know why, but one of my favorite moments is when Marshall was explaining, why he used to think he was indestructible. Gotta love "the story of the really heavy door"!
Flag

Flag
Yes!!!
Flag

Flag

Flag
Marshall vs. The Machines.
Flag
Marshall the barbarian... his epic fighting skills either in the alley or against his brothers. Dude's crazy :-)
Flag
Big Fudge, the master of Skee Ball and video game fishing

Flag
Marshall is the best. I love the songs that he composes too.
Flag
Absolutely on my list would have to be the episode where Lily, Marshall and Ted are at a concert and (because they're high as kites) Marshall and Ted go on a seemingly long adventure which turns out to only be two minutes in total. Also on my list would be when Marshall got an entire marching band to help him pick up Lily from the airport. Also, who could forget the hilarious clip of him and Ted singing on their first ever road trip? And IIIIIIIIII would walk 500 miles, and IIIIIIIIIIII would walk 500 more...
Flag
Yes to all!
Flag
Time Traveler Marshall was awesome! What other (non-Gallifreyan) person would humanity trust to preserve the integrity of the Time/Space continuum?
Flag
Marshall is my least favorite member of the gang, I just find him a bit annoying.
Flag
This right here is a rare blend of subjective and incorrect.
Flag
Staff
How very dare you.
Flag
Marshall is saner than his brothers.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members