A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

How I Met Your Mother S09E20 : "Daisy"

With only four episodes left before How I Met Your Mother signs off for good, time is running out for the writers to tie up dangling plot threads from previous episodes. The events surrounding Lily's abrupt change of heart regarding the move to Rome, for instance, could not go unexplained, which is why with four hours until the wedding, Marshall was recruiting Ted and Barney on a mission to find out what exactly happened that night. Or as Barney put it, they were going to "teach someone some manners."

The man in question was none other than Lily's boss the Captain, which felt like a bit of a stretch. Of course the series wanted to find a way to bring back both Kyle MacLachlan and Laura Bell Bundy—the pairing of the Captain with BoatsBoatsBoats is actually perfect—but their presence was a stretch none the less. The end result of "Daisy," however, made this entire storyline, however implausible, a happy occasion. 

From the moment Lily exited the 24-hour mini-mart at the beginning of the episode, I wondered if she was pregnant, or at the very least if she thought she was pregnant. If she thought she was, she wouldn't be consuming alcohol, and it would explain why she kept drinking Linus' never-ending parade of drinks and never getting drunk, a topic often discussed in the comments of these reviews over the course of the season. Her middle of the night run to the convenience store for a pregnancy test was also reminiscent of another time in the show's history when Lily thought she was pregnant. During the episode "Belly Full of Turkey" in HIMYM's first season, Lily feared she was pregnant while on a trip to Minnesota to visit Marshall's family. She eventually panicked, purchased a pregnancy test from a convenience store, and ended up being arrested for public urination as she attempted to take the test in the alley behind the store. Despite having eight seasons worth of story in between them, the situations were similar enough to trigger the memory in my mind.

Remembering all of this, I was let down when Ted—being classic douchey Ted—claimed to have solved the mystery of what Lily was doing in the Captain's powder room only to have him declare her a smoker. Ted's recounting of what transpired was a nice way to work in flashbacks to seemingly unimportant events from earlier this season, as well as make a joke about how much had actually transpired since the gang arrived in Farhampton all those episodes ago. To his credit, Ted was right about everything. He was able to discern that there was a secret Lily was keeping and where to look for the evidence to prove his theory, but he really Tedded the conclusion, because Lily wasn't smoking again, she was pregnant. And when Marshall pulled that pee stick out of the daisy I did a silent fist bump to my empty living room. Kaitlin: 1, Ted: 0.

This explains why Lily was so quick to change her mind about Rome, and why Marshall was equally quick to reverse that decision. To be honest, it didn't matter what they chose to do, because we already know that Marshall eventually becomes a judge and the police commissioner of Gotham City, so in a way, it actually makes sense that they eventually end up in Italy, too. But it is a little upsetting to think the series made us sit through nearly an entire season of Lily and Marshall bickering about their future only to flip-flop on their decision several times throughout an already rocky season.

While Lily and Marshall—who've been the most steady couple throughout the series' nine seasons—were working things out, Robin, on the other hand, was beginning to have doubts about marrying Barney after her mother began recounting all the red flags in her own marriage to Robin's father. Every word out of her mouth could also be applied to Barney, which meant Robin was beginning to question whether or not she was doing the right thing. There's only one way this can conclude, and it sure as hell isn't with Robin realizing Ted is the man in her life that she can always count on, not after Ted finally let go of his dream of ending up with Robin. 

I knew this moment was coming, but I wasn't ready for it, especially not like this, which is why "Daisy," despite hitting nearly all the right emotional beats in regards to the Marshall and Lily storyline, was not as good as it should have been. With only three episodes remaining, now is hardly the time for the series to pull this sort of stunt. Robin has given no indication in recent years that she feels anything more than a deep love of the friendship variety for Ted, and to have the series rehash this from her perspective at this time is slightly out of character. Having Robin get cold feet is one thing, having her get cold feet because she thinks she might have made the wrong decision all those years ago is another. 

I understand the writers want Robin to let go of Ted just as he had to let go of her in order achieve perfect symmetry in this storyline, but their relationship has never been symmetrical. Ted has always been more in love with Robin than Robin has ever been in love with Ted. She made peace in her relationship with Ted awhile ago. For her to suddenly question everything is disrespectful to the character the show has spent the last nine years building, as well as to the audience who stuck around. Here's hoping the final three episodes of How I Met Your Mother rectify this mistake and go out on top. It would be a shame to have come this far and end up with anything less than perfect.

NOTES

– I'd never accuse How I Met Your Mother of being true to life, but there is no way in hell Robin would still be in a hockey jersey or that the guys would have the time to run over to the Captain's and punch him in the face with only four hours before the wedding. It's well established that Robin isn't that type of woman, but four hours is also not enough time to transform "Daisy" Robin into a woman with a perfect up do and perfect make up. Sorry, but I have to call shenanigans on this. I've been lenient with the timing of everything at this wedding up until this point, but I cannot let it slide any longer.

– Ranjit doesn't have a driver's license!

– Billy Zabka says he saw Lily at the convenience store while "out doing a little late-night dirt biking in the sand." "Naturally," Marshall responds.

– "That’s crazy, you’d never moor a dinghy in a lagoon." 

thekaitling:list:himym-what-did-you-think-of-daisy/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

154 Comments
Comments (161)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This made me cry. I cry often while watching Tv if something sad happens but this is the first time out of happiness. i never realized how much i love those characters and im soo happy for them
Flag
Since it was the chewing gum which brought Ted to his conclusion, I do not understand why she chewed it (which she hardly ever did) when she had no cigarette breath to hide. Did I miss something or was it just a coincidence?
Flag
She puked on the way to the hotel..
Flag
one thing i don't get and maybe this is because i missed something in that episode or later one, but didn't the doctor tell marshal that he can't have kids? and now he's gotten lilly pregnant twice in 2-3 years. that's pretty good for someone that 'will never have kids'
Flag
I know it's a TV show but the things they're all doing on the morning of the wedding are just so unrealistic and in no way plausible. I'm sure people panic on their wedding day and have doubts but Robin is over the top to be thinking she might be making a mistake four hours prior to her wedding.

I'm glad they at least made fun of themselves with all the ridiculous things happening within a weekend, but it doesn't make up for it. The beginning with Robin's mom and the airplane was full of palm-in-face moments, but luckily the Lily/Marshall arc saved it.

Lily/Marshall had the only interesting plot line as admittedly I was disappointed when I thought it was going to end in Lily being a smoker. I also thought of the Thanksgiving episode from season 1 w/ the Lily angle and I enjoyed the series of flashbacks of moments throughout this season as well as the swerve w/ Lily drinking since she would have been hammered by now but they explained it nicely.

Overall, so-so episode but if they continue this Robin/Ted B.S. in the last three episodes I'm gonna lose it.
Flag
Ted: Lily never chews gum.
Captain: What, never?
Ted: Hardly ever.

Classic.
Flag
Just watched 'Trilogy Time' and was wondering, is that Daisy in Ted's arms towards the end?
The scenes from 916 show Ted with Penny in 2017 getting into the cab with the Mother.
The baby Ted is holding in Trilogy Time is in 2015 (show says 'For Real') and too much time will have passed for 2017 baby to have been the same?
Flag
The wedding takes place the same year as last season, 2013.
Flag
My bad. I meant 915 (Unpause)
Flag
Four hours is a ridiculous amount of time. All she needs to do it put on her dress, have her hair put up and slap some lippy on. 20 minutes, tops. And they are literally in the wedding venue- no need to worry about traffic. If you are a woman who needs more than four hours to get ready, you need to smarten up.
Flag
4 hrs ago and everyone stills needs to get ready ... makes me wonder how they were going to pull off those wedding photos even IF Barney miraculously came too!! LOL

Still love the show though
Flag
Hated the episode. It was obvious right from the beginning that Lily was pregnant and they basically wasted an entire episode showing the main characters struggling to catch up.

I'm sorry but with only four episodes left, it really angered me that they devoted an entire half hour to something that is neither satisfying, clever, surprising or funny.

I know most people love Lily and Marshall but their stories are always my least favourite. And this was just the epitome of why that is. Their problems are never actually problems and the solutions to them are so cheesy and ham-handed in their attempt to get you to care about something that really has no bearing whatsoever on anything else that happens on the show.

They're obviously perfect for each other and would never do anything to blatantly hurt the other one so the writers can never find a proper reason for them to have any conflict. Which leaves the crap that was this episode and the whole Judge/Italy storyline in its entirety.

Choosing between someone becoming a judge and someone being -- I don't know -- someone who buys art for rich people? What an impossible decision to make! I know how to solve that dilemma. A BABY! Oh, and guess what they named her? Just like her mother, after a flower! I don't think they could've spelled it out any clearer for us if they tried. It was the most pandering, lowest-common-denominator, we-assume-the-audience-is-stupid-but-we-can-win-them-back-with-a-baby episode of television that I have ever been unfortunate enough to witness.

I just don't get it. I don't understand why anyone would be emotionally invested in that storyline. I don't understand how or why anyone would think that was fit for television. And I don't understand why they would do that with only four episodes of the show left.

Usually, when a network is nice enough to tell you that your show is cancelled so that you can give it a proper ending, most people make the most of it. Apparently, the writers of HIMYM chose not to go that route. It's frickin' ridiculous.

The next three episodes better be something special in order to wash the rancid, horrible taste of this televised abomination out of my mouth.

Also, I'm aware I'm grossly over-exaggerating. But that's how angry this episode made me.
More+
Flag
Thank God it wasn't smoking because I was about to have a fit about continuity about how Lily's 'last cigarette ever' was when she started trying to get pregnant (the first time). I had been pretty sure she was pregnant to start though, I just worried they were going to Ted up the storyline.
Flag
Also I will be disappointed if they're rehashing the Ted/Robin from Robin's side because I agree with you -- in most ways she closed the door on the relationship many seasons ago, and if not then, then in season 7 when Ted says, "I think you know how you feel about me now and I don't think time's going to change that. Just tell me. Are you in love with me?" And she says no, without any trace of doubt. That being said, unless you know things we don't, isn't it all just speculation right now? It could easily be Barney she was referring to because he has been there for her. (He went with her to give away her dogs, he was shown having the most meaningful reaction and comfort for her infertility, he comforted her after Simon, he makes elaborate surprises for her, etc).
Flag
I knew she was pregnant all along. Ted's theory didn't explain at all the change of heart Lily had.
Flag
I enjoyed this episode but i was mildly disappointed that Lily hadn't been smoking if only to hear her smoking voice again (aka Harvey Fierstein) saying doll face. For just a second i thought the pregnancy test was for BoatBoatsBoats by the way it was great to see her again. Also nice callback to Come On, Bro Don't Bogart the Funyuns
Flag
Just watched 'Symphony of Illumination' and was wondering, did they ever do the bull fighting Robin story? Ted says he'll get to it at the end of that episode and I don't recall that happening.

Also, still hoping that Ted's perfect match from season 1 episode 'milk' turns out to have been the mother (he turned down that date for Robin!)
Flag
New Way article says "it's coming"
Flag
Spellchecker aaa gigahertz
Q and A
Flag
I actually enjoyed this episode and was super excited that Lily and Marshall are pregnant. I don't the think the Captain showing up was forced. He is Lily's boss and for her to call him to talk about Rome would be appropriate.
Flag
Nice touch with the daisy-related poll questions.
Flag
It would be nice if they worked in the dropped flash forward of Barney saving Lily from being knocked down. Maybe it was when she was pregnant with daisy. There was the whole mystery of a memory and Ted finally remembered the full memory. Why go to that much trouble in remembering it and not explaining it.
Flag
They did explain it in s7ep21 "Now we're even"
Flag
Yeh

Flag
Oh Kaitlin, I'm sorry your living room was not able to fist-bump you back. The pregnancy angle was telegraphed as soon as Ted thought he knew what was going on, Ted is never right.

You are exactly right that the season has made us suffer Marshall and Lily's flip-flopping too much for this to be the way it ended.

Robin's mom was gross, and the fact that they rewrote Robin's dad to be just Barney was a cheap shot. At this point, I really don't think the writers like Robin at all, they've utterly destroyed her character and the only out will be for her to leave Barney at the altar.
Flag
WHAT??

WHY are you calling Robins mom gross??

That is the gorgeous and talented Tracy Ulman!!!
Flag
Well, Tracey Ullman (as it's properly spelled) is a little icky in general - kind of high-functioning bag-lady-esque - but they played the character gross, a lunatic on the plane and then very last-minute sabotage in the room.
Flag
They didn't really rewrite him to be a mockup of Barney. For example, her father had been with 20 women before him... in the grand scheme of things that's not a huge amount. Barney was what, 200?

From what we've seen and heard of the father, sociopath is probably the most polite term for him. And let's face it, in many ways Barney has at least acted like one in the past. With the exception of "engaged to a stripper" most of the stuff she spouted was fairly generic. Personality-wise we've even RECENTLY seen the two are nothing alike. They just share some basic actions.

If you look hard enough, you're always going to find some similarities between two complex systems (such as people). Born in the same month, first car owned was X, graduated from school in a year ending in Y, dated a woman who's first name was Z, etc.
Flag
20 is a lot for a Canadian. ;-) But the scamming women with the art and costume, the friendship before marriage? Those are really specific.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I have to comment on your statement "Ted's always been more in love with Robin than she was with him" I'm not sure he always was. Ted is known for breaking up with women over petty reasons like taste in movies and not reaching for the check. Meanwhile his long term relationships include:

Karen: Wouldn't stop cheating on him. Also horrible human being.

Victoria: The night she met Ted she said she never wanted to see him again. Then moved to Germany after both she and Ted said long-distance relationships are a bad idea.

Stella: Rejected Ted ten times. Hadn't slept with anyone since breaking up with her ex five years earlier (still hung up on your ex much?) Ted proposed to her after she broke up with him.

Zoe: Married and tried to stop Ted from achieving his life long dream.

Ted was never really in love with Robin. He was in love with how wrong she was for him because, unlike Ted, she didn't want to get married or have kids. Ted has this image of himself as the hero of some great romantic love story. He needs a giant insurmountable obstacle to overcome to prove how strong his love is. Ted didn't show the slightest hint of still being in love with Robin for years. When they were friends with benefits he ended it, not because he had feelings for her but because he realized Barney did. When she broke up with Don, their make-out session ended in laughter. It was only when Robin told Ted she can't have kids, the one thing that would make her as wrong as possible for Ted, that he said he was still in love with her. Then she told Ted she didn't love him and got engaged to his best friend, she might as well have sent him a naked picture of herself.

I realize I'm probably the only person who thought any of this while watching the show, but in my mind, Ted letting go of Robin was really Ted letting go of the idea that love means overcoming obstacles to prove it really is love, and that's what made him ready to meet his perfect woman.

More+
Flag
I've never thought about things that way but it makes almost perfect sense, his timing in insisting she's the one always comes at points where everyone else is sure she or any of his other the ones is not. I think the best example here would be Jeanette, but it's equally and . More meaningfully applicable to Robin.
Flag
Was anyone else annoyed when Ted came to the conclusion that Lily was smoking based on the fact that in the episode Last Cigarette Ever (season 5), Ted tells us Lily had her last cigarette the day she started trying to get pregnant? I know it's a little thing, it just irked me a bit.

The episode was okay. Not a lot happened, really, and some of it annoyed me (like the Captain and his three maids singing) for seeming pretty pointless/filler.

At least Robin is in her dress in the next episode, because really... what bride wouldn't start getting ready at least a few hours early?
Flag
Why did it irk you? I might have missed something, but technically that statement is still true? Since Future Ted is the one who made the statement about Lily's last cigarette, Current Ted may make all the conclusions he wants (and was proven mistaken) - there's no proof that Lily has had a cigarette.
Flag
He had said that whenever Marshall is gone, Lily always resorts to smoking a cigarette, to which Marshall agreed. Perhaps they mean in the past, but it just seemed off to suggest that, given that it happened 3 - 4 years ago. I don't know if it bothered me because it was a weak possibility for what had happened when Lily disappeared or because the writers tried to use it to throw us off the Lily-is-pregnant track.
Flag
The examples that Ted gave were pre-pregnancy - I think one of them was San Francisco, so I'm choosing to believe that it was true only for the past, and that Lily has not smoked at all this time because Ted's conclusion was wrong. But I agree that it was a weak possibility - I thought it was lame until they revealed the pregnancy test. Also, totally agree about the singing maids - why was time even spent on that??
Flag
Yeah, here's hoping. I don't know. It's just so close to the end of the series that maybe I'm just bothered because I expect more.

The singing was a total waste of time and was definitely just an attempt to fill out the remaining minutes.
Flag
I didn't like the pregnancy plot, because like Layton and I am sure a few other, I remembered Ted telling the kids that Lily had her last cigarette when she started trying to get pregnant. So to have that be complete bull was not nice.
I did like finding out Ranjit didn't have a license. And thought it was really funny that Barney then told him to get the car and drive them to the Captain.
Now that they have Lily expecting and still going to Italy, I think it made sense to have the Captain in as part of the reveal. He was as surprised as the rest of the group when the pee stick came out of his flowere pot. And he has always said he wanted to have more friends near Zoe's age, so that would still apply to Boat girl. So being included in that kind of moment would probably explain how he could suddenly be okay with Lily wanted to take some time off in the States before heading to Italy after the baby. And it would explain why their Italian was still so bad after being immersed in the culture. If they were there a full year it would probably be better, but a couple months? that would explain that.
And Zabka on a motorbike, eating a corndog at 3 am was cute, but not as funny as his suggesting she was learning karate.
More+
Flag
am I the only one who thinks barney and robin make an aweful couple?
Flag
No, I'm actually still waiting for the twist where Robin ends up marrying Ted
Flag
Haha I'm waiting for the twist that the wedding just doesn't happen!
Flag
yeah me to, barney and robin are an awful couple, they don't match each other they don't fit and they have the same defects. and also this whole thing has ruined Barney Stinson as we loved him. I don't like "in love"/"married" Barney. I don't understand how people changed minds about Barney and how come they like Barney/Robin. The "Barney/Robin" relationship in real life never works!! Only a "Ted" could have the real patience to deal with a "Robin's" dark side of her personality, and on the other hand only a "Robin" could give a "Ted" the love of his life.
Flag
It was nice, but I thought about pregnacy too, so the "bomb" wasn´t so intense...
Flag
I don't get where the Robin is thinking of Ted thing comes from, can somebody please explain it to me? All she does is have a moment of doubt, and then realize Barney is not the crazy guy from season 1, but a different character that she does rely on.
Flag
exactly, Barney is no more the crazy guy. This Robin thing ruined him, they ruined Barney and now i hope this fake marriage goes off. The mother can also die as far as i'm concerned, i don't care about the mother no one cares about the mother, we haven't seen or followed the mother for 9 years. We've seen Marshall and Lilly and they were made for each other and now they have what they dreamed of. We've seen Barney, we loved him he was awesome and now he's not, he's just boring about to get married with someone that's exactly like him! We've seen Robin, she was fun and she was strong and in that second season she found in Ted what she still hasn't found in anybody else! We've seen Ted, he was always positive, he wanted one thing more then anything else: Robin; and he had her but it was just that the time was wrong. Now we have a sad Ted who is about to fall in love with his soon to be wife, knowing that she's never going to be The one. I don't care about the mother, actually i think she's also ugly.
Flag
People are just assuming that's what her final scene was. Her mother said marriage is a piece of cake so long as you have someone who's always there for you (or something).

She he then looks off into space and says she has someone like that. Now she could mean Barney, or she could be currently thinking Ted. On camera, Ted has historically been there for her more than Barney. Though Barney has his share of being there
Flag
They're speculating she's thinking of Ted, nothing has been said, so yeah, peoples needs to chill.
Flag
We know something had to happen to spook Robin, because that's where we first started this wedding thing s8e1 with her wanting to talk to Ted because she had cold feet.
No, I don't think she's at all still in love with Ted, but when it comes to discussion of love and commitment he does always seem to be her go to guy. I think that'll turn out to be the 'look how far we've come' speech with a chance for a nice montage. We know she's not bailing on Barney, Ted's flash forward confirmed them together in the future. Okay, married or not is up for grabs, but together.
Flag
I think this was a decent episode as good as it can get keeping recent episodes in mind. And, the pregnant thing I thought of it when I saw her with the bag walking out of the convenience store.

I think the writers were trying to show that Ted did indeed let go of Robin and that's why they went about the entire beach thing. So, that he could find the "mother" and fall in love with her and he'd not have any residual feeling towards Robin.

I don't think it was explicitly mentioned or implied (explicitly implied??? lol for lack of a better way of putting things) that Robin was talking/thinking of Ted when her mom asked her whom she could count on. Let's hope they don't start off the Ted & Robin thing again!

Though HIMYM lost its sheen the past few seasons, I still can't stop watching it.

Also, Marshall as the police commissioner of Gotham wanting to give Batman more work made me LOL :D
Flag
Loved it
Flag
OK, Robin slightly freaked out in this ep, and we were expecting that since she asked as 'the bride' to see Ted two seasons ago, so we're already expecting some sort of reassurance from Ted for her to go through with the wedding (and they will, we've seen the reception, the honeymoon, the 2nd honeymoon... in Rio?) Anyway, also nowhere in this ep did it show that Robin was thinking of Ted when her mom was asking about what man she could count on...etc. This is all just speculation.
Flag
It was fine, I really just want to get to the finale, at least point I'm only on this ride to find out how it ends.
Flag
I enjoyed this episode, maybe I was blind, but I honestly didn't see the pregnancy coming even if I should have, I honestly was mad throughout the last half, because I thought they were disregarding the continuity that Lily had her last cigarette before she got pregnant with Marvin. I had also been bothered that lily showed no signs of drunkedness after drinking so much via the Kenndy package, but it makes so much more sense now. Overall, not the funniest episode in my opinion, but it was necessary to close up loose ends before the final three episodes.
Flag
I thought the same thing (about Last Cigarette Ever)
Flag
Thank you, I thought they said she had her last cigarette when she started trying to get pregnant, so having this as a secret ted knew about made no sense to me either
Flag
I minded when I thought that was going to be real, but when it was fake I was just like Classic Schmosby, getting almost everything right to get the most important thing wrong.
Flag
Yes, in hindsight it made me enjoy the episode more, but I was angry while I thought it was going to be real.
Flag
Staff
I don't know if the pregnancy thing was all that obvious. It just popped into my head and wouldn't leave. I don't think you were blind.
Flag
Robin's mother was kinda annoying but I think it was a good episode as a whole. Ted trying to solve the mystery was my favorite part. I really hope the writers are not bringing the whole charade between Ted and Robin just a couple episodes before the end.
Flag
First I've gotta tell you that after watching last weeks episode and reading all those speculations about the mother made me insane! But now Christin has said in an interview that this theory is crazy and that the end of the show will end in a beautiful way - puh.
Now this episode: it was good! and I have to say the moment I saw lily walk out of that story I knew right away that she might be pregnant! so it totally made scenes that she didn't want to go to rome anymore. And like barney and the others the suspence nearly killed me too! ted almost drove me crazy, but not as crazy as robin's mom! what the damn hell!!!! she annoyed me so much with her characteristics of robins dad and now robin is freaking out - which I think is normal - but I have this fear this hunch that she freaks out badly (and for some reason I have to think of ted)
- but AWW DAISY DAISY DAISY :')
(it's almost done!!!! noooooo)
Flag
I know! When I found out they actually named her Daisy I got all teary! Lilly finally got her little girl! Moments like this make me realize I'm way more invested in this show then I publicly admit to.
Flag
Dear writers, would you stop with this Robin and Ted drama, ALREADY? Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

If I enjoyed that kind of stuff I would watch Telemundo. (Thank you, Chuck Lorre).
Flag
Just really happy to see Linus back!
Flag
I was with you I guessed that Lily had bought a pregnancy test. I liked the episode I just didn't like the bit where Robin's mom kept going on about all the red flags in her marriage and how they matched up with Barney since it felt like the writers were forcing that issue from the way the mom was talking to how everything she said matched up exactly with Robin's history with Barney. I get the whole cold feet thing I just think the whole Ted/Robin thing is done and does not need to be rehashed again. I knew they'd call the daughter of Lily and Marshal Daisy from the title of the episode to the whole finding the pregnancy test in the flower pot of a daisy but I guess it was a nice moment that it didn't matter. I'm not sure moving to Italy while pregnant then giving birth when you already have a child for a short term job is the smartest idea but hey this is a tv show.
Flag
Ok, we all knew Robin would freak out, we saw it... but she will end up with Barney, we saw that as well
Also, it's still an open question what was going on in the previous episode and who is the one who won't be there for his/her daughter's wedding
Flag
It was a pretty good episode, with callbacks of the past (Mosby Boys Detective Agency, Becky "Boats Boats Boats", the Captain, Marshall in a duel, Barney's many past shenanigans). I think it makes sense that Robin would end up with someone like her father, a lot of people end up falling for someone similar to a parent - whether they like it or not. But one thing about Robin is that she has always accepted Barney for who he was, so I didn't see her as having doubts about him and thinking about Ted in the end, I thought it was her cold feet suddenly beginning to set in. She is getting married in 4 hours. Besides, Barney has proven that he is there for her, like when he went with her to drop off her dogs at her Aunt's farm. Does it make sense that she was still sitting around in a jersey, or Barney and the guys are running around trying to solve Lily's disappearance? Of course not, but its a sitcom - they always do crazy stuff at weddings, funerals, etc. on television. I mean how many shows have you watched where someone stood up to interrupt the wedding because they still had feelings for the bride or groom (I've never been a witness to that, nor has anyone I've ever known - especially since if it did happen I doubt that person would make it away from the church alive), but that occurs quite frequently in movies and TV. Its all for the sake of dramatization. And as cool as Robin can be she is finally starting to realize that she is getting married. Not only has she changed in the sense that she wants to get married, but she is marrying Barney, another person who we NEVER thought would do it (at least in the beginning of the series - over time we saw that Barney did want that). Barney and Robin fit well together (as seen in the episode Zip, Zip, Zip from the first season - Barney breaks down exactly why they are perfect for each other). I may not be the biggest Barney and Robin fan - but I do see why they work (same personalities).

I didn't suspect that Lily was pregnant at first, but as Ted was solving the crime (in his usual drawn out way) I started to realize it. I do like that Marshall decided to give Lily her dream and go to Italy, because as he said, she gave him his dream (the marriage and kids). If you go back to "Trilogy Time" every dream Marshall had was of him and Lily being married with a bunch of kids (he was also an environmentalist lawyer). The judgeship is something that he decided he wanted later. So if anything he got most of what he had already wanted, and the judgeship is something that can occur later. Yeah their bickering dragged out longer than necessary, but that had more to do with the fact that Marshall wasn't around. Good episode, and with only a few more left before the show is gone for good, I am going to enjoy every bit of them. We have almost reached the end of this journey and I for one can't wait to see how everything finally comes together.

More+
Flag
Did he go with her to drop the dogs though?
Flag
Yeah, last season, when Robin was still dating Nick and Barney was walking around with the dog as his wingman Ted told the story of how Barney had gone with Robin to take her dogs to her Aunt's house.
Flag
Thanks, did not remember that. Barney's awesome. My all time favorite Barney moment was when Lily revealed that Barney went after her to San Francisco and bought her a ticket home, because he couldn't stand how heartbroken Marshall was. Robin and Barney are perfect for each other, but there's surely gonna be drama before the nuptials, in a true HIMYM fashion.
Flag
Only problem i have with HIMYM After watching it for 9 years is that , we never are going to see ted and mother together , flash forwards are not that satisfying , i wanted atleast half season or atleast 6-7 episodes where we see how things actually worked out between ted and mother , after seeing so many failures , i was hoping for atleast few episodes of what successfull relationship looks like . But sadly we r not gonna get that , i think Ted meeting mother will be the ending scene of series , rest will be left on our imagination . I dont think we will even know the name of mother, I hate when writers do that , after 9 years we deserve a little satisfaction , but here we will feel cheated.
Flag
I'm still hoping that there has to be more to Ted and the Mother than just meeting. He's still going to Chicago, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Mother is the one who changes his mind. We've seen Ted make so many big romantic gestures over the years it's time someone did the same for him, and I think the Mother is that one. It would feel right if they meet, have a wild night of romance, and then she chases him down before he can get on his plane and convinces him to give love one more chance. I figured that was the main reason behind episode 16, we see the Mother getting herself ready to make this kind of romantic leap and make it feel genuine. Ted has always been the romantic making believers out of others, it figures his perfect woman would make a believer out of him again.
Flag
The name of the mother will be Leia.
Flag
Are pregnancy tests bio degradable? I thought the outside shells were plastic... but I've never had to use one since I'm a guy.

Because otherwise, wouldn't it have been less rude to just take the test with her and/or dispose of it properly? Like in a trash can somewhere between the mansion and the hotel?

Leaving a used pee stick in the flower pot of your boss's place is just asking for trouble. Besides being rude as hell, especially if it's found out, you risk causing problems between the Captain and either his girlfriend or staff.
Flag
Well, she just peed on that. Would she really want to shove it in her pocket or purse? And not wanting to cause trouble for the Captain and his girlfriend, she couldn't put it in the trash. Hiding it in the plant made sense to me.
Flag
That's why I said in a trash can BETWEEN the mansion and hotel. Obviously dropping it off in the Captain's trash would cause problems.

But I don't see the issue. Rinse it off with water thoroughly, dry it off with tissue paper, wrap it with dry tissue paper, put it in the purse, chuck it at a trash can somewhere (perhaps back at the store on the way back).
Flag
everything is bio-degradable, it is all just a matter of how long it takes. Atomic waste is thousands of years, paper towel, far less. Plastic is in the hundreds of years unless the soil is especially acidic.
Flag
Thanks, hardy-har-har. But you know what I meant.

Flag
I liked it. Especially the Mickey cameo at the end. Again it felt like an organic episode rather than an extended highlight reel with a loose plot. Things are moving forward nicely enough but still worried they aren't going to stick the finale.
Flag
I too immediately thought "pregnant" but then decided "Nah, how will they explain the endless booze without killing the baby."

I HAD asked myself in the passed "How the heck is Lilly still walking after so many drinks" but forgot about her lack of drunkenness when I thought about the pregnancy.

Either way, it seemed like a cop-out. Fine it was an inside joke it was non-alcoholic. But even if it wasn't, unless she was getting water this entire time even that wouldn't be healthy for the baby. That many sweet drinks over a 36hr period would have to be too much sugar... right?
Flag
Maybe I'm just a bit too practical. But with a baby on the way, maybe going to live in Italy for a year isn't the best move.

Marshall is giving up a solid job at their home where they can raise their baby, to live in Italy for a year for a short term job. OK fine he'll get a job when he gets back and Lilly can bring home the bacon for now.

But logistically, how much fun can the parents really have when dealing with 3rd trimester stuff, waking up with the baby, etc.

Having a kid is a hassle even IF the grandparents are living with you. In another country where you're learning the language... it has to be very hectic.
Flag
I couldn't agree more with your review.
I called Lily was pregnant before the season started and the fact that she never got drunk during the season, did nothing but confirm my theory, and when last night night Marshall found out I was so asdsgfdsgdjsgk, I've said many times that Marshall is my favorite so watching him crying always makes me cry. On the other hand, I agree, I just didn't care if they'd go to Italy or not.
Oh boy was I pissed when Robin seemed to doubt about Barney being the right man for her. Because even though I hated the never ending storyline of Ted feelings for her, it kind of made sense because he was always the one in that relationship who seemed to idealize her. Robin was the one who had her feet on the ground, she loved him, but never as much as Ted loved her, and that was obvious and it was clear since they broke up in season 2. So why the hell are the writers insinuating this right know, Robin let go her feelings for Ted at least 5 years ago. This is just wrong.
Flag
I swear that in the first episode Ted told the story of how he met 'Aunt Robin'. Since then, I have always wondered why they pursued the Ted and Robin will-they-won't-they style story so strongly. Especially, when re-watching the earlier series, she always seemed more in tune with Barney than Ted. It always just seemed weird and forced and it's annoying to see that they have continued it right up to the final few episodes.

On the other hand, though, it would actually be consistent with Robin's much-noted 'want of the things she can't have.'
Flag
I thought the episode was just a fluff piece. It explained the why and where of Lily leaving...but it just did nothing for me for the show.

Sure, for 9 seasons I have come to know these characters and I want to know where they are going.

With that said.... I have seen them for 9 SEASONS! These last few episodes should be all about the mother, or at least be showing a lot more of her. The person the show is titled about and the reason for this whole story.
Flag
Why?! The show isn't about the mother. It's not. It's about how he met her. It's about the journey that he took with his friends. It's about how said journey affected said friends. If CBS hadn't ordered a ninth season, the mother character would've been seen once for a split second at the tail end of the very last episode. We've seen so much of her! Bays and Thomas never wanted her in every episode because it is still the character we waited eight full seasons to see therefore it still needs to be exciting each time we see her. And this episode proved that Season 9 doesn't need her to be good. Fluff piece?! They've been building toward that moment the entire season, silly. That's not what a fluff piece entitles. I love the mother, and get excited every time I see her but, with this episode, I could really care less. I was much more excited about the momentous event in the life of two of the characters I've been getting to know since 2005.
Flag
Didn't see the ep (gave up years ago) but reading the reviews for no reason I can explain.

@Kaitlin Nine years building Robin's character? Are you sure? The one thing this show stopped doing after the second season was having any kind of consistency. As as most series 1 and 2 fans have said, it was all pointing to her being the mother until the show got renewed. The Barney idea came late in the show.

Whatever they do with characters now, whatever is right or wrong about it, breaking consistency can not possibly be one of them.
Flag
lol every one has known that robin is not the mother since 1st episode. whenever robin and ted were together during the course of series , i was just waiting for it to be over, ted is crazy for not letting go of robin years ago. His behavior and feelings towards robin became frustrating in later half of series.

Flag
That's not entirely true based on the comments that were around during the first series.

I think I made a mistake though with regard to Robin and the first two series. I may have been only the first one.

What is evident though is that some comments here suggest those people weren't around at the start, or not involved in the discussions. I say this because there were loads of comments at the time, especially after the show was renewed for series two, that they would need to find a way for Robin not to be the mother, and they did.

After that they seemed to ne heading into a she's the wife, not the mother teritory, and then it just changed to no clues of any meaning at all.

Flag
It was never pointing toward Robin being the mother. NEVER. That possibility ended at the end of the first episode. It was never going to be her.
Flag
Also don't comment if you haven't seen the show in years. Who the hell are you that you then get to judge it and pretend like you know more than the die-hard fans who have seen every episode?
Flag
I didn't pretend to know anything more than anyone. Like everyone here, I have a right to speak.

I'm just hoping those votes are from you, cause I hope people aren't voting up such poor posts.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
While I agree that the attention to details present in the first two seasons has been long abandoned... I call shenanigans on this comment.

From the very first episode I said that Robin and Barney would end up together and now nine years later that is exactly what is happening.

I audibly groaned when they set up at the end of the episode that Robin might even have an inkling of doubt in her relationship with Barney and would give Ted a second thought after everything that we have seen them go through and the fact that she hasn't had romantic feelings for Ted in at least two seasons. It's the kind of filler script writers use at the last minute device used to enhance the drama of a show while allowing them to milk out a few more episodes for the season. I agree with Kaitlyn that just when HIMYM should be rewarding their patient fan base, such a ploy is insulting.

Especially when we have seen Barney and Robin happily married years later in a flash forward this season. Not only is it filler its filler we know will have no long last reprecussions for the narrative.
More +
Flag
Fair enough, but at least I think you see my point. All I was really saying was that of the positive and negative this show has had, consistency is not one of them.

The first two seasons were a whole other show in some ways, certainly with a view to who is the mother side of things.

Even the kids at the start were only hired for the first season, then asked to stay on.
Flag
I bet that robin meets the mother when she climbs out the window and the mother convinces her to marry barney
Flag
That's a good prediction, oh my god!
Flag
Hate to think it but with last week's breakdown over mothers not attending their daughters' weddings , could it be that Daisy Eriksen is not long for this world--or at least having a major medical crisis in 2024?
Flag
They won't kill Daisy off...if anything - that makes killing off Lilly a possibility.
Flag
I would like to believe that they wouldn't introduce another baby into the picture, with four episodes to go, just to kill it. That would be way too harsh.
Flag
That is a good idea. But...I don't know if it would be a big enough character to focus on for the series finale.
Flag
I have to admit, I didn't see the pregnancy coming. But then again, I wasn't too invested in the previous episodes to make the connection.. I like that they're trying to tie up all those loose ends but most episodes feel disjointed. Which doesn't mean the episodes as standalones are bad. I loved "Daisy" and most the the Mother episodes, so..
Flag
it was hilarious how the actors were trying to speak italian, you could see marshall/jason keep looking at a certain area over lily/alyson's shoulder *coughcoughcuecardcoughcough*
Flag
Well Lily takes a pregnancy test for the 8th time lol. I'm glad it was positive this time (as much as I dislike babies). It was a tad odd Lily called the captain when Ranjit was right there with the cab but hey him and boats boats boats. As usual, Ted is spot on with the mystery except the motive. It was a good episode. Although Marshal just all of a sudden switching minds to Italy because of a baby doesn't make sense, especially when that argument took most the season, came to a conclusion, and now reversed the conclusion
Flag
Robin's mom was incredibly unfunny, the rest of the episode surprisingly not that much.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members