A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

Nine seasons is a pipe dream for any new TV show, let alone one with as unusual a premise as How I Met Your Mother had when it premiered on CBS in 2005. Not only was it a multi-camera comedy that filmed without a studio audience, but it was—as my Season 1 DVD set has reminded me—"a love story in reverse." Ted Mosby's search for the titular Mother as told through a series of flashbacks might seem like a completely normal idea in 2014, but at the time it was a risky move for TV show created by two guys who'd never made one before. 

A lot has changed since How I Met Your Mother premiered, and after a short hiatus for the Winter Olympics, the series will kick off its final stretch of episodes on Monday, February 24. At this point we're only a few hours away from Robin and Barney's wedding—and, of course, to Ted actually, physically, literally meeting the Mother of Penny and Luke. That means it's crunch time when comes to tying up lingering plot threads. So far this season, we've seen plenty of familiar faces return, including Marvin, Stella, Cindy, Victoria, and Ted's mom, and we've enjoyed plenty of callbacks to gags like the Naked Man, Gazzola's pizza, zitch dog, Puzzles, and the Proclaimers. We've even discovered what it is that Barney actually does for a living. But since How I Met Your Mother co-creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas have promised to wrap up every single thing they possibly could before the series signs off forever, here are five things I want to see happen before the end of the series finale on Monday, March 31

1. C'mon Barney, "Suit up!"

Barney's catchphrases have become a large part of our popular culture, and most people think of "legendary" and all of its "wait for it" glory when they think of Barney's contribution to the world. But because Season 9 opened with Barney telling Robin he no longer needed to wait for it because he's got her, I'd rather like to see How I Met Your Mother bring back some of Barney's other familiar lines, like "Suit up!" It's been awhile since he uttered those words, and considering he's getting married soon, there's a perfect opportunity for one last delivery of the phrase.

2. While Ted is meeting THE Mother, can we meet Robin's? Also: Where the heck is her sister?

We've met Robin's father, played brilliantly by Ray Wise (is there anything Ray Wise has done that can't be described as brilliant?), but we have yet to meet her estranged mother. To be honest, I never gave much thought to meeting Robin's mother before Robin said in "The Lighthouse" that she wouldn't be attending the wedding. Given how few times Robin's mentioned her mother over the years, I'd almost completely forgotten about her, and hadn't even considered we'd meet her at the wedding. But considering how frequently her absence has come up during the wedding weekend, I'd be very surprised if she didn't appear before the series signs off for good.

And speaking of Robin's family: Where's Katie? Robin's little sister visited New York in Season 2 and hasn't been heard from since. Did she die? Is she in Witness Protection somewhere in Pennsylvania? What gives, HIMYM writers? Lucy Hale is obviously very busy as a regular cast member on Pretty Little Liars, and she's now attempting a music career, but it simply doesn't make sense that Robin's sister isn't at her wedding.

3. Won't you join me waving a lighter for one last Robin Sparkles encore?

This is an easy one, and the way I see it, you can never have too much Robin Sparkles. Another music video would be overkill, but another, simpler appearance from Robin's popstar alter ego would be a great way to tie up the series, especially, if say, she came out at the reception. At a press event in January, series co-creator Carter Bays said the was a lot of live music coming up, and while I'm pretty certain he was referring to Cristin Milioti's performance of "La Vie en Rose," I'm also not ruling out any other cast performances just yet. 

4. Keep the callbacks—and tie-in websites—coming

There've been so many good ones already, including eating a sandwich, pausing a fight, the idea that nothing good happens after 2am, "Bang-Bang-Bangity-Bang," and the recent return (and passing on) of the Playbook, but there are still a few more that I'd like to see. It might be tough for the writers to squeeze them all in given how quickly we're approaching the actual wedding ceremony, but in a perfect world, here are the jokes I'd like to see HIMYM return to in its last few episodes: the Swarley nickname, Teddy Westside, the doppelgängers, lawyered, interventions, and Bob Barker. And while we're at it, how about one last tie-in website, too? There's only been one so far this season (LegalPokerAruba.com), and I sure am going to miss the CanadianSexActs.org, ItWasTheBestNightEver.com, and TedMosbyIsAJerk.com jokes once the series signs off. There's not a show on TV that does a website tie-in better than How I Met Your Mother

5. Slap it to me, one final time

This is obviously a given for most fans. And personally, I'd call it a make-or-break moment. The Slap Bet is How I Met Your Mother's longest-running gag, and one of its best. Whether or not you liked the recent "Slasgiving 3: Slappoinment in Slapmarra" is beside the point. The final slap is important to the series' mythology. Bays remained tight-lipped when I asked him about the final slap in January, and while I can see the merits of leaving that last slap hanging in order to let fans envision it however they choose, I do think the Slap Bet is one storyline that needs to be wrapped up, whether it happens in the present timeline or in a flash-forward to the year 2030. As a longtime fan, seeing the final slap is non-negotiable to me.

However, for everything I want to see revisited or explained by series end, there's one mystery that I think should remain unsolved: the Pineapple Incident. Some things are just better left to the imagination. 

What's on your HIMYM end-of-days wishlist? What questions do you want to see answered (or be left unanswered)?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

115 Comments
Comments (115)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I want to see a romantic scene between Robin and Barney, and Ted and the Mother.I would to see Robin's mother making omlette, and a finally prank of the whole band.But make it smashing!:&
Flag
And i want to see finally the MacLaren's!!!
Flag
Just watched 'Milk' from season 1. I completely forgot about Ted's perfect match from the dating service. Maybe I've forgotten more (like if he already found out who it was) but would love to see the mother be that girl. He skipped out on that date for Robin and would have met her 8 years earlier if that's the case.
Flag
This season has been half way fulfilling so far, with getting info about the mother and what she has been up too, Barneys line of employment, the penultimate slap, but there are a few answers i want and things i would like to see before the series wraps this spring heres my list (no particular order):

1. Robins Mother: just because she called and told our favorite canadian american she couldnt make in my eyes does me we wont see her before her daughter walks down the aisle.

2. When (where) will the final slap takes place: now that the show has wisely gotten the 1st of the final 2 slaps out of the way (loved that B2M commemorated the event) i find it interesting when the conclusion of the slap bet will take place. i feel it could happen in 3 places, a) right before the wedding (although Marshalls son Marvin has a cool middle name, i feel like he wants to repay barney for putting him in the predicament to name his offspring that what better way for payback than right before his walk downt he aisle) b) the wedding reception (this will just be funny and the least suspecting of the 3 i named) c) in the year 2030 (i feel that once Future Ted concludes his tale we will see the gang come in and join the future pal and we will see Marshall deliver that slap in from of all loved ones.

3. a robin Sparkles number- like the article says i dont want another music video but i would love to see present day Robin perform her one and biggest hit before the show ends

4. Catchphrases: this is weird until i read this list i hadnt realized that i havent heard many of the shows signature one liners. I know the gang is focused on the pending nuptuals but we need to hear those catchphrases one last time.

Although i along with many fans want to know where the infamous pineapple from the season one episode came from but u have now come to the point where i dont want to know. Bays and Thomas have said we will more than likely never know do to Future Ted aleady claiming the fruits origins are unknown its law now and the creators claiming its their biggest regret from the show. Im fine with this as i feel besides all the things that make this series memorable the mystery of the pineapple will make it legendary in the realms of tv classics
More+
Flag
i want to know victoria ends up happy. i love her
Flag
I read somewhere that the sister will be bac. I think its in the last ep.
Flag
That thing with Robins sister always annoyed me! See thats why I stopped watching Tv shows like Desperate Houswives: Susan looks for her dad (for aaaages) finds him, 2 episodes later he is gone and she NEVER EVER even said a word about him again - I hate that, is it sooo hard to think about that?
Anyway HIMYM isnt like that - normally everything comes up again so why the hell did Robin never ever say anything about her again? Just like: "oh sorry Im late I was just on the phone with my sister" - thats all i wanted
Flag
I still have the first 2 series on DVD, sometimes when I see them I get sad for how the series turned out, not watched it in 2 years but I might watch the last episode, just because the final scene was filmed back when it was decent so it might actually be OK. The mother is either dead or they are divorced but she was still his 'true' love or some crap like that!
Flag
I want barneys Playbook !
Flag
I would like to see Ted telling Marshall & Barney about meeting the mother and all Barney asks is "Boobs"
Flag
I actually can't believe Lilly hasn't tortured Robin into telling about her mother yet, seems very uncharacteristic.
I know it's not in the current setting but a good long scene in McClaren's with Carl the bartender and Wendy the waitress would be good. I can't really think of anything else.
They're really approaching the limit of the show and besides the main story lines right now I can't think of what plot is going to happen, or jokes. That's it, I just want to see another original joke that hasn't been done yet on the show
Flag
One more intervention!
Flag
I really want to see the last slap but part of me thinks Marshall will pass the final slap to Barney as his wedding present. That would be one of those sentimental things that HIMYM does so well.
Flag
I hope i'm wrong but i think the final slap will be pretty similar to the wrapping of the goat story, we have so many expectations thet they will be impossible to meet.
Ted's sister Heather is also missing, and what about JJ?

Flag
I just want some more flash forwards :) Robin and Barney after honeymoon and of course Ted and the Mother.
And I'd like to see Captain, but I don't think that'll happen, he has nothing to do with Barney and Robin...as far as we know.
Flag
SWEET ENDING SCENE... THE BLITZ WALKING OUT: and after the ceremony ends ( fades to black) and just utters the words, "Ahh man"
Flag
BIGGEST surprise Guest : Korean Elvis!!!!
Flag
surprise guest at the wedding ..... any other thoughts??
Flag
WAIT A SECOND.... NOT WAIT FOR IT, BUT WAIT A MOMENT .. I. thooooought the, final episode ... 3/31 was the date for the final ( think it will be an hour or cross over) into that new friends show...??? but, I thought: there were only two episodes in between now and the 3/31 final... weird. NOW that they have (six) episodes and NOT two.. seem they will have more time to wrap it up... the way the show deserves... ok, I can relax now...lol
Flag
I could care less about the pineapple/as I miss the vitamin thc jokes... I just like the way Marshall says TRUDY what about the pineapple...

Flag
I want the "45 days" door answered... I totally missed that!!! and it is too late now but would have wanted some kind of closure ( or opening)
Flag
A great foreshadow in my opinion would be Barney's funeral and old man Marshall picks up Barney's limp lifeless body and slaps the crap out of him(figuratively... or literally... ooh that could be interesting!) and possibly bringing him back to life. And I know this will sound SO cliche but I think the last scene we should see of them is at Maclarens Pub right before a flashforward to 2030 in the house and the kids say, "that was lame," right before getting up and leaving the room.
Flag
The pineapple story
Flag
I was actually expecting a little PLL reunion with both Lucy Hale and Ashley Benson, didnt she play Barney's half-sister? I can maybe see her not showing up but Robin's own sister not going to the wedding wouldn't make sense.
Flag
Both the slap and Swarley should come back up during the wedding ceremony itself. I can just imagine Robin saying, 'Take thee, Swarley!'
Flag
This is a sometimes brilliant, but mostly dumb show with some pretty great characters--at least some of them (Barney, Robin and maybe Lily). I don't care what they do as long as they don't embarrass themselves as they've often done in the past.
Flag
I want to see Marshall paying up Lilly for the long term bet about Ted and Robin : )
Flag
YESSSS!
Flag
excellent point !!
Flag
I don't care about seeing Robin Sparkles again, but it would be nice if Alan Thicke came to the wedding. He was at the rehearsal dinner/ice skating party, so he's in the area.
Flag
The yellow umbrella needs to show up one more time.
Flag
I would like a good resolution to the slap-bet joke. After that, I want the writers to simply knock it out the park! I couldn't care less about returning gags this close to the end. I just want it to end well.
Flag
"... should speak now, or forever hold their silence."
"WAIT!"
*SLAP*
"Proceed."
Flag
that type of delivery is as brilliant as slap 2.... a punch line, a moment then the audience jaw drop...
Flag
If I remember correctly, the 'lawyered'already has come back,while Barney and Ted was sitting on the beach hand-in-hand and Marshall needed to decide if it was weird for Ted to hold Robin's hand....:-D I'd like to see what happened with the pineapple....
Flag
Until the end, we should see a bit of some epic catch phrases from barney and I know he's going to commit to a better life but one last time joke about legendary.. we'll see much more I hope :)
Flag
Did they ever finish the goat story? I've seen so many episodes out of order, I can't remember.
Flag
Yes, in the season 4 finale. But they set it up since season 1 [Milk]
Flag
The last time I remember seeing the goat was the season 4 finale. I believe they set it up earlier but that was the episode where Ted fought it over the cloth.
Flag
I was wondering the same thing.
Flag
I'd like to see the yellow umbrella and Ted and the mother's 'near misses' of each other begin to make sense to them. The mother alluded to it a bit in the 200th episode but I'd like to see it all unfold for them at same time and be a WOW moment for everyone.
Flag
Robin's sister lives with Chuck Cunningham in forgotten-tv-sibling-land.

This is an oddly shallow article, none of this stuff is what I care about on the show - it's all flavor, but it's not necessary to the core. Yeah, Barney's "suit up" lines were solid moments, but he's already got so many catchphrases to fall back on. The only thing that might be interesting is Robin's mom, and even that might be better left out because that's just how it is for some people and it's better to write a character based on their absence.

Only thing I want is for them not to end on some cheap "your mom is dead/dying" twists. Future-Ted is telling his children a story about how he banged insane women and whatnot, really dubious how that would tonally fit with "and now your mom is worm-food, waterworks commence".
Flag
Judy Winslow lives in the same neighborhood.
Flag
And Donna Pinciotti's sister.
Flag
Didn't Donna have 2 sisters that disappeared? Not like 2 Chuck Cunninghams either, 2 separate sisters. Plus, Laurie Foreman disappeared after being recast. WHO IS EATING THE CAST OF THAT '70s SHOW?!?
Flag
AHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, Judy lives with little Seven Wanker from Married with Children. Someone should do a TV show with all these missing characters.
Flag
beyond funny...lol
Flag
LOL that would be hilarious.
Flag
LOL @ poor ol Chuck Cunningham.
Flag
I would certainly love to see more "suit up" moments from Barney because they sort of define his character. And seeing Robin's sister may be fun. But, I definitely don't want to see any more of Robin Sparkles and no more flashbacks. The audience have been complaining for the entire season that they are not try hard enough during this season. Digging up past scenes means not trying hard enough. Also, after the last "waste of time episode" I don't want to see any more slaps. What I would definitely love, is to see them trying hard to the end of the season and then to give us another season showing how Ted got to the point when she will say "Yes". Until the "the end" moment, they should be giving there best to make this show stay awesome and worthy of watching the rerun of the season.
Flag
Yeah, we need to see Ted and the mother matter, we need to see why their meeting was worth watching for 9 years, that's the only thing, not more gimmicks and callbacks and whatnot.
Flag
yes, but really great writing would make both those things happen! They have been doing an on and off good job of that, fingers crossed that the rest of it is callbacks moving story forward! (And not in a balloon-Robin way)
Flag
Staff
I'd just like the show to be good again.
Flag
The finale slap is also a big one for me.
Flag
NO!!! The Pineapple Incident cannot remain a mystery! have spent too many years wondering about the origins of that thing! At this point I need to know.
Flag
knowing where it came from will (at least for me) totally ruin the mystery vibe about it. this way, if we never find out, we can all spin our crazy theories where it could've come from. and I'm also afraid that no story could possibly live up to the expectations that people have. so if they reveal where it came from, it's gonna have to be a really legen... wait for it... DARY story :)
Flag
Actually, didn't the creators said something about explaining it in the new series?
Flag
It's not going to happen, Ted said (2014 narrator Ted) that he never did find out anything about that pineapple, meaning he never will on the show.
Flag
but that doesn't mean that we can't learn about that, from Marshal's or Barney's point of view.
Flag
The only way that can happen is if someone comes into 2030 ted's living room and tells him (since the whole series is told by him and he doesn't know at the moment)
Flag
It should be so. But HIMYM isn't known for keeping their facts straight. For example, few seasons ago marshal and lily told that they use the same toothbrush, and that Ted has used it to for years, but in first season we saw that they in fact used different toothbrush. So for entertainment sake, I hope they will forget about Ted saying that he didn't learn about Pinaple.
Flag
The end-of- days wishlist? Well first and foremost of course the end of days for Marshall. I still hope he will die Before the end.
Flag
I think i read somewhere that Lucy Hale will reprise her role as Robin's sister but i don't remember when.
Flag
Here is the article that says that Lucy Hale will reprise her role this final season!!!

http://tvline.com/2014/01/15/how-i-met-your-mother-series-finale-title-last-forever/
Flag
3. Pineapple
2. The final slap!
1. ...5 bucks to Marshall, Yes, I will not give up on Ted/Robin until that very last episode. I just can't help it. It would be an amazing twist.
Flag
I will half agree with u. On one hand, YES ... from a writing stand point, if done well, a WOW moment.. but from an audience stand pount, my heart would break for barney ..... does that make sense?
Flag
As far as the Pineapple Incident, I read that Carter Bays stated that the line "we never found out where the pineapple came from" was something they never should have said, and they limited themselves by saying that.

I think if they wanted to solve that mystery, and still keep the story plot consistent, they could flashback and tie in the pineapple with the mother somehow and it is pivotal to them meeting.
Flag
Those things would be nice to see but not paramount to the show. The final slap would be nice to see, but it can't just be any slap. There has to be something special about it, like a wedding gift of "no more slaps", or gifting it to Robin, who will then hang on to it.
I want to see more of Ted and the mother.
What I want to see before the show is over is Ted and the mother meeting and talking for awhile before the show ends. I want to see them getting to know one another.
An ending can make or break a show. A horrible TV show or movie can find redemption with a great ending. Just as a great TV show or movie can ruin it's legacy by having a disappointing ending.
I think the longer the show has been around, the greater the ending needs to be.
Thus, nine years could be wasted if we don't see a GREAT ending.
Flag
Oooh, I like the final slap as gift to Robin idea.
Flag
be cool if it was a twist and barney and marshall... somehow get to slap Ted
Flag
thx sh2
Flag
I don't care about any of these. The last slap was the worst episode ever and Robin has already had way to much time this season. The best episodes have been the ones with the mother.
Flag
my guess the last slap will be given to robin as a wedding gift and robin will slap barney during the vows.

on what i would like to see before the show ends... the dopplegangers encore... stripper lily... mustache marshall... tomboy robin... etc...
Flag
i so would like to see interventions and the one where Marshall create a chart for everything. I do feel that it might come across as trying too hard if they have too many callbacks. Oh did we ever find out bout the ending to the pineapple incident? Man i gotta go back and watch some of the previous eps.
Flag
I want the final slap to be the last scene ever. Then cut to black.
Flag
last slap will come at the wedding.in the question (do you take this woman....)i believe he look to the people and slap will come
Flag
Uh, how did you not mention http://guyforceshiswifetodressinagarbagebagforthenextthreeyears.com/?
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members