A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

How I Met Your Mother S09E06: "Knight Vision"

Much like last week's "The Poker Game," tonight's How I Met Your Mother felt a bit like HIMYM of days past, and it was due in large part to the nature of the episode, which was for all intents and purposes a formulaic Ted Has a Bad Date storyline. Add in the series' trademark gimmicks, like Barney's constant need to insert himself into history or popular culture, and an okay B-storyline about Robin and Barney and their "mean old tool" of a minister (Edward Herrmann) and you've got another successful episode in "Knight Vision."

As much as I love the Mother and anxiously await her return like most viewers, and as often as this formula failed in later seasons, sometimes it's still fun to see Ted gloriously make bad decision after bad decision on a date. That is, after all, what the series has essentially been about for the last eight seasons, and his date with Cassie (Anna Camp) was a funny last hurrah heading in to the final stretch. But it was also more than that. On the surface it was Ted being Ted and making bad decisions, but underneath it was one of Future Ted's life lessons. It was Ted telling his children about how every wrong decision he made eventually led to the right one where he met their mother on the platform at the train station. So in a way, being paired up with Cassie and not Robin's former college roommate or her coworker turned out to be the right decision after all.

Despite the storyline being a familiar one, it still felt fresh because of the wedding setting (I never thought I'd ever write those words), and it was still entertaining to watch Ted make those wrong decisions—like asking about Cassie's recent breakup because he's Ted and he's a nice guy and that's what a nice guy would do, or choosing the dining room instead of the bar so that he's forced to spend an entire meal with Cassie and her parents—because the pay off at the end was worth it. And for Ted to make all of those mistakes with the HIMYM version of the Knight Templar from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade telling him that he chose poorly after each one was actually really funny. 

Meanwhile, while Ted was off in his own storyline, Robin and Barney were in a moderately better storyline about their own meet cute. It was better than last week's horrible poker game, but it still wasn't great (though it was definitely shorter than Ted's eight-year ramble). This week, Richard Gilmore himself guest-starred as their mean minister who only agreed to marry them after the couple shared their cute story about how they met. But that's all it was: a story. They stole their first meeting from Lily and Marshall because asking Robin in a bar if she's ever met Ted was not sufficient for the minister, whose church was apparently the cutest thing in the world. 

I'm going to stop before I have to deconstruct how this storyline was actually very silly because neither Robin or Barney have ever been the type of people who care about the cuteness of a church, and just point out that this storyline led to both of them admitting that they love how they met, and they love how messy their relationship has been over the course of the last eight years because it led to them being together at that exact moment. And although I think the scene would have been better punctuated with an emotional Barney speech that we know Neil Patrick Harris would have delivered with A+ honesty instead of the jokes the writers chose, the storyline was far better than anything they've been given in a long while, so let's call it a success and move on.

It's probably too much to hope that the series will be able to continue to build upon the momentum built by "The Poker Game" and "Knight Vision" for too long, but I'm going to play the Ted card and remain the eternal optimist for once. We've been dealt two pretty solid episodes in a row, and both of them were successful because they were throwbacks to the days when the series was at its best, playing with formulas that the writers know work well. Knowing that we've got a final slap coming up, and that the series still has plenty callbacks to earlier seasons planned, I think it's possible this final season might still come out with a winning average after all.

NOTES

— Unlike most viewers, I'm completely content with the writers using Cristin Milioti's Mother sparingly. She was definitely awesome in the premiere, but it would be difficult to fit her in to the earliest episodes of the season. Yes, they could have introduced her to Robin a few week's back in the Robin Has No Female Friends storyline, but her appearance that early probably would have meant that it'd have been harder for her to remain unseen by Ted before the train station. And flash-forwards only work in very rare cases like the premiere. Most of the time, the flash-forwards on HIMYM are short unexplained glimpses of something truly ridiculous, like post-honeymoon Barney. Truthfully, there hasn't been a storyline since the train with Lily in which her sudden appearance would work, and I trust that Carter Bays and Craig Thomas will bring her back when the moment is right. She's a special character, and using her too much would inevitable dull her shine. Sorry, but it's true.

— Last week Marshall was integrated into the story because it was flashback heavy, but this week Marshall's storyline once again found him on the road. Daphne as Lily was funny at first, but it eventually grew to be a tired gimmick and I found myself wishing Marshall actually was talking to Lily about the fact he took a job as a judge. And since Daphne angry-texted Lily and told her as such, I'm looking forward to Marshall and Lily interaction next week. Yay progress!

— Wedding at Bernie's and a prayer-five—yeah, sometimes Barney and Robin are still great.

— "What the damn hell?"

100 Comments
Comments (100)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I dont mind that we didnt see much of the mother yet... there are like 23 episodes or something like that.. relax ;)

But Barney and Robin are horrible.. They should have more group scenes. They annoy me. So Robin you love the fact that Barney slept with 250 girls? really? Look Im happy they are happy that they found each other but since when does Robin think everything is awesome? And come on we got it, u 2 like Sex. ok. So can u define your love with something else? Im annoyed with their ,,yeah we had sex in every room bla bla" stories
Flag
I don't know how much more of the wedding weekend I can take. Its starting to get old to me already. And they're going to milk this out for the entire season?! It better start paying off soon.
Flag
im afraid that the half season at least will be the wedding weekend
Flag
Is it just me or is this season gone down hill ?
Flag
The milking of this Wedding Weekend has just gone to far. I want the gang back together again at Maclarens!
Flag
Why was The Mother on the train with Lily in the first place? Where has she been all this time? Wouldn't she have arrived with her band the day of the wedding a few hours before the reception instead of the day or so before? I did enjoy her interactions with Lily and I understand not using her yet, but I was surprised they used her at all so far this season.
Flag
Can it be? I must be dreaming... an ENTIRE episode that was funny? That DIDN'T have the Mother in it? I'm shocked! SHOCKED!

First off, I loved the interaction between Marshall and Daphne this episode, and their rehearsal on what Marshall would say to Lily. It gave Marshall something to do, and it was a step in the right direction for my second least-favorite plotline. (Seriously, when is he gonna get to Farhampton?)

Robin and Barney's story actually DIDN'T suck this episode, and I like Lily's reaction when she learned that they stole her "How I Met My Husband" story. Although Barney's slept with 250 women, I honestly didn't think his and Robin's love story deserved a priest literally dying of shock. I hope that doesn't have serious repercussions, since now Barney and Robin are technically murderers.. their words literally killed a priest. (Loved the "Wedding at Bernies" fantasy, too.)

And then there was Ted and the main story for the episode. I thought it was hilarious, especially with the knight who kept calling Ted out on the bad decisions he was making. I burst out laughing at the "You tip... poorly" joke, too. However, despite the hilarity, we can see that Ted has grown as a person. Do you really think Season 1 or 2 Ted would pass up sex with an emotionally vulnerable girl? My only complaint is that the brief flash forward to Ted sitting on the platform at the end of the wedding had the mother's face still completely obscured. We know what she looks like, now! Some new footage of the Mother standing on the platform, face completely shown, slowly looking toward Ted's general direction and Ted maybe looking up from his book, locking eyes on her and having the scene end there would have been wonderful and not spoilerrific because we know they meet on the platform but we don't know what conversation they had,

I give this episode a 9.6 out of 10. They filmed it... wisely.
More+
Flag
Aww, I love Barney's story too, its deviously twisted and slightly homicidal rather than messed up, but it got them there and that's what matters!
Flag
I really like this season so far and I agree both this and last week's episode were great! My only problem is how long are they going to stretch the wedding weekend? They've been in that B&B since May for heaven's sake.
Flag
I liked this episode in that Ted finally stopped moping around and actually started trying to get with somebody. I mean he hasn't met the mother yet and if they're not even going to show her then I would expect Ted to still be trying to meet other women like he always has. And I thought the Last Crusade thing was actually pretty funny. As for Daphne, she can drive that Hummer off a cliff and Marshall can finally get there. Now Marshall and Lily finally have a plot line to deal with, but honestly I don't even care. Whether they go to Italy or more likely stay in NY just does not even matter anymore. Barney and Robin were kinda funny but why do the writers seem like they're still convincing us that there a good couple? They are at the wedding they should just BE a good couple instead of acting totally immature. So once again, this episode was average and seriously I want to see Maclarens again and the rest of New York not the inside of that stupid wedding house.
Flag
Call me silly, but I still have faith on HIMYM. Maybe it is because I have invested a whole decade of my life in it (and the decade of my transition fom teenager to young adult, so it has been important), but I believe in the show, and I know that after Christmas it will take off and become more awesome than ever. I won´t lose faith.

corleonesandlannisters.com
Flag
Old gags, the old formula, yes, but it's been better than the entire of last season so far!
How I Met has changed deeply since Season 7 (actually, since Marshall's father passed away on Season 6), and I was honestly afraid of the show getting yet another season to "wrap things up". However, it's been great and only now I remembered about the Mother because you mentioned her in your review
Flag
I would say season 7 was the last truly good season
Flag
yeah, but that season already felt different for me.
Flag
It was a little different, I thought it was still funny and had plot though
Flag
Isn't every single bad lay and insane girlfriend part of the "if I hadn't met her and done that I wouldn't have met your monther", Kaitlin? I mean, that's the whole point of the show, so it wasn't terribly clever to use it again here. "If I hadn't picked my nose in the 3rd grade, I wouldn't have had that scar tissue that caused my nose to whistle while I was in bed with Stella which wouldn't have reminded her that she slept contently next to her previous guy and she wouldn't have dumped me and I wouldn't have found your mother."

You're cute that you can still enjoy these stale storylines merely due to the new setting, I personally find it grating.

I don't really understand how you can plainly see how Robin and Barney aren't the type to go in for the church with cute, and how their relationship is actually still woefully fragile considering not a few hours before they had foundational questions about themselves, and yet now they're as shallow as it gets, but still call this one of the more solid and successful episodes.

- I sort of agree with you about using The Mother sparingly, but in a story like this it just feels like the weight of her absence is the heart that's missing from Ted's story, instead him playing off of the imaginary Grail Knight over and over just doesn't have the same impact.

- Daphne just keeps getting more grating as a character, and if I never hear "what the damn hell" again it'll be too soon.
More+
Flag
I enjoyed this episode more than last week overall. Yes, we fell back on some old gags but they're ones that work and they didn't feel tired. Anna Camp is just awesome.

Yes, I miss the mother but she really wouldn't fit at this point in the game. I just hate that they told us she's a regular this season so I keep going into every episode wondering if this is the week we'll see her again.
Flag
This season is pretty much just abysmal. The choice to set the whole season at the wedding is just simply not paying off, as weddings have really never lent themselves to all that much humor to begin with, and HIMYM has already tapped this comedic goldmine completely with all of its previous weddings. Now we're just left with the cliche crap that the writers weren't comfortable using before.

Additionally, I couldn't disagree more about the use of the mother. Sure, she can't be in every scene, but she honestly should have been in every episode. Even if it's just brief shots of her leaving a room as Ted enters, we need something to build her up more before the meet. At this point, the show is not about how Ted met the mother, and that is infuriatingly disappointing.

Maybe things will change for the better, but I pretty much doubt it. We're gonna get some uneventful meeting (and one that we have been teased on so much, we already know what's gonna happen), and then I suppose some "we're in love" montages before ending the whole damn thing. After having stuck with this show for so long, seeing them go out like this is pretty damn sad.
More+
Flag
I have a feeling that Ted won't actually meet the Mother until either the beginnining or even the end of the last episode. It's going to literally be "...and that's how I met [She doesn't and likely WON'T even have a name!]", roll credits.
We're not going to see ANY of their story together, and that makes me sad/angry.
Flag
i hope no. that would totally suck.
Flag
This decision to set the storyline within a 48-hour frame was very serious and it's very difficult to make something really good out of it. First of all the settings are scarce (there are only the hotel and the car), plus everything that happens has to be related to the wedding, so the only way to break this pattern is to use more flashbacks or more Mother.
This episode, for me, was the best of the season, bar the first two, but only thanks to Robin and Barney's lie that gave the writers the chance to come up with the entire fake story about their meeting. It also lead to some of the better parts of the season - such as Marshall being with the crew again, his kiss with Robin etc.
Flag
I liked the episode, although not the best, I did like some aspects of it. Ted's storyline, was kind of funny, I liked the use of the knight from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, telling Ted he chose poorly. It was a gimmick that I enjoyed throughout the episode. And Ted being Ted, he would end up with a crazy/emotional girl he can't get rid of because he is too nice. Marshall had more screentime which was good, I have missed his interactions with the group, and need him to get back to NY fast. Now that Daphne has spilled the beans to Lily about Marshall's job, I wonder what kind of reaction we will get from Lily. Being a judge is Marshall's dream, and he has supported Lily through all of her various job selections (teaching, art fellowship - he wanted to support except she lied and took a fellowship across the country, painting - when it didn't initially work he found a way for her to still do it and make money, selling to vets online, art consultant - moving to Rome), so it will be interesting to see what will happen now. Who gets to pursue their dream and who has to give theirs up? Does someone really have to give up their dream job? Lily didn't have much to do this week though I did like her retelling Barney and Robin's story with her and Marshall in their place.

Barney and Robin, I think this episode continued to show why they are meant to be together, loved their prayer high five. I still think the relationship is forced and not at all natural, (look at the 5 minute scene between Ted and the Mother from the premiere where they are sitting at the inn - you can feel the love between them), and I still don't like them as a couple, but I accept it.

I agree that not showing the Mother in every episode works. I love her and definitely want to see her in more episodes but I feel like the writers would have to force scenarios in which she would interact with the rest of the group. Not seeing her now, especially based on the situations that are occurring, makes sense. There is no need for anyone to see her yet, and I figure we will probably get more of her soon, probably around November sweeps.
More+
Flag
So far, i have to admit im pretty disappointed with the final season. I feel that every episode (maybe poker game's the exception) are just fillers, very manipulative 30 minutes that are boring but at the end use the emotions to end optimistic, but the season as a whole, so far, hasn't said anything. I mean, it is getting really boring waiting for something to happen. I am no longer excited for the mother or any character in particular. Sincerely, i just want the show to end without burning itself in pointless episodes.
Flag
Much better than last week. It was really funny and I enjoyed all the storylines.

O and Cobie Smulders was looking damn good.
Flag
I didn't care for Marshall this go-round and really objected to Daphne's intrusion, but it is progress, and we need that.
Flag
Staff
Where do I start with this ep? I disliked it. So much so that I started to cringe. When many had mentioned that the show was dull, predictable and tired I defended it. This is the firs time I actually saw what they were talking about.

I don't care what the showrunners/network say. This season is just a blatant money grab. Only way to explain the choice to have the entire season take place at the wedding resort. They also must have fired their most talented writers because when they do throwbacks to previous eps it usually serves a greater purpose, is charming, and doesn't make me want to punch walls.

I'd also wish that Jason Segel had fully committed to this show instead of giving a shell of a performance from the road. How annoying is his road trip buddy? I'll tell ya, out of 100 she is a 99. Unless they are driving 40 MPH, it is taking them way too long to get to the wedding resort. Some of the most classic eps are revolved around Marshall. Would like to see a resemblance of that continue before the season is over.

I'll be honest and say that I am looking forward to the final slap owed by Barney. Perhaps Marshall can coax his other friends into owing him one as well, I know they all deserve one.
More+
Flag
Tbh I found this episode predictable I mean we've seen that Ted is not great when it comes to dating women, we know that Robin and Barney's relationship isn't great and is messy so why create yet another episode around these concepts? It just feels like this season isn't really going anywhere. While I'll admit the mother doesn't have to show up all the time it would be nice is she made some more appearances coz it gives us the chance to warm up to her, get to know her and understand why, out of all the women he has dated, this woman is Ted's ideal/perfect match. Yet again the Marshall storyline felt like a huge eye roll. I just feel like the show has got to a point where it's just re treading old storylines instead of finding new ones and I'm beginning to wonder if it's because the timeframe is limiting the writer's imagination or something. I really am trying to like this season since it is the last one but it's really difficult.
Flag
I don't know why but I always love the HIMYM filler episodes.
Flag
I usually loathe flashbacks because they're mostly used to explain something the writers were too lazy to incorporate in the current story but HIMYM always makes them worth it or hilarious (like the meet-cute switcheroo). It's something the show does well and I especially liked it in this episode because Marshall felt more integrated to me. Also, he and Daphne had something real and character-driven to talk about, instead of the bickering we got earlier.
The show is back on track it seems but I could use something deeper and more meaningful soon.
Flag
The problem isn't that we all want to see the mother a lot and nothing else, but that these episodes are covering no ground and are just filler episodes. Nothing is really happening. Barely any time has actually passed so far this season, it's all just treading water. The Barney & Robin and Lily & Marshall storylines are accomplishing nothing at all, and Ted, well, he is doing what he always does.

That said, Ted's last bad date was pretty funn..but Robin and Barney are just chipping away at my ability to like them as a couple. This wedding just needs to happen already so we can move forward.

I do think that they need to be careful how they utilize the Mother, but I don't necessarily agree the having her occasionally appear would be a bad thing or ruin her time to shine. At this point I just hope she gets enough screen time to even HAVE a chance to shine.
Flag
I didn't like the "what the damn hell". It was only delivered well by Daphne (Sherri Shepherd was at her best as Tracy Jordan on 30 Rock, I still LOL at her "ham" delivery), and sounded insanely lame coming from the rest of the cast (though I appreciated the intended comedic relief). It kind of reminded me of how insanely white washed this show has been for 8+ years now.
Flag
The "Last Crusade" bit with Ted as the German was funny... it was like the "Holy Grail" of cups. And the first couple of "You have chosen... poorly" bits made me chuckle but it got old really fast.

And I laugh out loud whenever Alyson Hannigan lip-syncs a voice-over: like the old gravely voice years back or last night's sassy voice. Just watching her face shows she's having fun with it.

But beyond that, I wasn't a fan of the episode.
Flag
Also, the sign-of-the-cross-Five was funny... it's great when the two of them are that in-sync (choreographed dancing at the OBGYN). But the Robin/Barney story was weak, save for Lilly summarizing Robin and Barney's relationship flashbacks.
Flag
Though I actually agree that too much of the mother would indeed dull her shine now, I want more of her so that I can see WHY Ted loves her. This is a show I have spent too much time watching, and though I get that Ted will be content when he finally meets her, I want a little satisfaction too. Like, have an episode where Lily runs into her and the mother talks about her "near misses" with this guy that seems great. Or a couple of stories about how she was somewhere where Ted was, like the St. Patty's party where she found the umbrella, or when she got out of the shower and what she thought of her old roommate's boyfriend. Just ONE!!!!
Flag
I am one of those "omg more Mother plz" people (sorry about that, btw), but I too agree with you and Kaitlin that too much of her too soon would probably not be a good thing. However, nothing at all is a terrible thing when the episodes are this bad. Marshall is still "driving" over a month into the show, that is the level of the story progression we're dealing with after all. If the quality of the show was really great, I doubt I'd be clamoring as much for her.

Using her "sparringly" is one thing, but not using her what so ever, including non-speaking "presence" is another...
Flag
Yep, that is what I think as well. I don't want her "too much" but at least more than Sherri Shepherd!!! I mean, this episode was not as bad as the others, but can we just STOP with that?
Flag
They might as well slap on glasses and a red and white stripped sweater (complete with hat) to see if anyone finds the mother in these episodes.
Flag
I didn't like this episode, compared to the previous ones. It just tried to hard to be funny when it wasn't at all. And Daphne texting Lily: wtf? Who does that?
Flag
why wan't we just jump ahead to the freaking wedding already? i wanna see the mother because she's awesome and i love her, and i'd like to see her relationship with ted
Flag
The best part of the episode was that finally the writers admitted (through Barney and Robin's exchange in the end) that Barney an Robin are awful couple.

Flag
True that. Now if the writers could only admit that setting an entire season in 50 hours or what the damn hell ever, then I would feel like they are self-aware.
Flag
Personally I don't feel like these past two episodes are 'throwbacks to the days when the series was at it's best'. This whole season has been extremely mediocre. It hasn't been bad, but it hasn't been exciting either. The first four seasons were great because the story was crisp and the jokes were fresh. Now it's just predictable. I mean, I'm still going to watch it... it's still amusing and it is the last season, but it's not EXCITING anymore.
Flag
I'm so boored of this season. There have already been 6 epsiodes and literally nothing is happening - we are still hours before that wedding nobody cares about (Seriously - Barney and Robin as couple is one of the oldest and most tiresome Hollywood love stories clishe ever) and I have a bad feeling that this whole season will focus on wedding. And there will be last episode where Ted meets his wife and screen fades to black. Than what excatly was point of this final season? They could have done it last season without booring us (Okay, actually they have done it for quite some time now).
Flag
want more time to see the mother so we can fall in love with her character as much as Ted does. I don't want it to be the last episode where they meet as that would be annoying. We should see them date for a while too!!!
Flag
Prayer-five FTW
Flag
I disagree that Robin and Barney wouldn't be the type to care about the cuteness of the church. They have conitnually shown they hide the things they care about, not that they don't care. For Robin it is things like the "baby sock" and wanting her dad to say I love you. For Barney it is having a family and creating the perfect experiences. SO finding the perfect church would be right up the alley for things they cared about but kept to themselves until they thought they were going to lose it.
I loved seeing Ted get more and more frustrated with himself as he kept "choosing poorly". I liked the Templar knight being a running gag, even if the Barney flashback lacked a great joke or ending. And it was nice to see he was looking to hook up with someone at the wedding who isn't Robin. I personally don't want to see him spending more time on that note.
I think the dead reverend is going to lead to Daphne turning out to be a minister who can marry Barney and Robin. And not Marshall. For one, he may have agreed to the job but judges have to be sworn in before they're judges, it's not a promotion and a handshake. And secondly, in the flash forward before the wedding, he and Ted are dinking outside, so I can't imagine they're going to have him officiate a wedding intoxicated. (and no, I do not believe Daphne is a lobbyist for Big Oil, I think she is just messing with Marshall)
All in all, I though it was a fine episode, not the best but it got us closer to the wedding and Marshall getting there, so at least the reception is on its way.
More+
Flag
My definition of funny:

funny
ˈfʌni/
adjective

-
causing laughter or amusement; humorous

your definition of funny

funny
ˈfʌni/
adjective

- causing eye rolling or groans; hackneyed
Flag
Are we back in Season 8? They DID cast the mother right?!? So why are they going back to focusing on the Mother's (admittedly great-looking) calves and yellow umbrella? We ALL know what she looks like already. Or are they contractually obligated NOT to show Ted and the Mother in the same frame until the very last episode?!
Flag
Unless ... she's not actually the Mother! dun dun dun ...
Flag
It was probably so they didn't have to refilm the scene again and save on production costs and time.
Flag
I was thinking the scene in the train station was a new one. So that really was re-used film from last season?
Flag
Yeah, the footage felt like it was the same from the bits and pieces we got from last season (specifically the season 8 opener?)
Flag
I actually really liked this episode, it was one of the stronger episodes of the season. But ya I want more of the mother!
Flag
Has anybody ever cataloged how many times Ted has told his kids the story of how he either had sex or tried to have sex? Can't tell them in the future about smoking weed, yet somehow Ted trying to screw a bunch of drunk sluts is A-OK for the family story. "Kids, did I ever tell you about the time I got this tight little skank back up to my place, we had a bunch of sandwiches, and then fucked until we were sore and she threw up all over my bedspread?"
Flag
Maybe he's trying a very open-minded way when it comes to sex in his kids education. You know, propagate free love, that kinda stuff.
Joke aside, I think that's part of the joke (ha ha) since they always find pretty metaphors for the nastiest sex acts and pot, all while someone's telling his kids how many chicks he banged.
Flag
It's kind of funny that it's Bob Saget after all. His jokes are usually pretty dirty. Yet, every time that happens, I imagine him talking to the Olsen twins or something.
Flag
I did not like this episode at all. Robin and Barney get more and more annoying with each new episode, and their awfulness actually contributed to someone's death yet nobody batted a damned eyelash, not even in the moment - no call for help, no empathy for the departed, no nothing beyond a lame Weekend at Bernie's joke. But hey, at least the writers pretended to own how awful Barney and Robin are together only to completely undermine their point in service to the status quo.

Ted meanwhile is just the same boring Ted as ever, he bitches constantly about relationship blues but when it comes down to using this time to meet someone it's all about getting a quick screw, except we know he's not actually going to get anywhere this time so it's just "Ted's new wacky girlfriend" stuff compressed down. And the joke with the grail knight from Indy just dragged on and on and on, total slapstick.

Then there was Marshall. 'Nuff said.

IGN gave this a pretty modest review, 6.8, and their words were more cutting than their number there. I suspect this site will be more generous with its impending review and I look forward to seeing if it can sway my opinion.
More+
Flag
Correction: IGN actually gave it a 6.4.
Flag
Agreed SO MUCH about Barney and Robin. Also, something quite "dramatic" happened last episode, just "hours" (if just an hour?) before this with Robin and Barney's family, and there is NOT MENTION of it at all. Now, I am not bothered by that in the sense that I care too much for Barney's family and their relationship with Robin, but just for the sake of the coherence of the story WTF. They are doing this "24" style, and for that to be done well, details should be paid attention to. And they are not.
Flag
Good point, Barney broke up with his family in an episode that was said to take place less than 6 hours before the start of this one. I had forgotten about that. And now it has no impact at all, Barney and Robin are fine and Robin isn't freaking out about Barney's behavior or about Barney's mom's threat.
Flag
the show uses a lot of flashbacks, so any filler they are missing that is pertinent later on in the season, they can just flashback too. If it never amounts to anything, they can just ignore it.
Flag
Something that has that much character impact shouldn't be saved for a quick flashback later, it should be consistent so as not to leave question marks while viewing.
Flag
That's true and I think they used to be really good about this, as most of the stuff was planned in clever ways (though the show is not Arrested Development (in every way but here just referring to the flashback usage) much as it fancies itself that + "24". I just wish that for a sitcom that sort of has a serialized premise and who knew they were going into their LAST season, there would be a better plan than just making what was supposed to be last season's season finale into an entire season. /end grumpy rant, sorry! I do agree with your point.
Flag
I starting to believe there be another season so they are holding off showing the mother bc of that. Thats my conspiracy theory and Im sticking to it....
Flag
I hope you are wrong.
Flag
Me too. I don't think I can stand another season, but then there's the "wait, I already held on for so many years I have to see it through to the end" mentality that has me watching this season....
Flag
While I do agree that this is yet another strong episode from this season, I'm seriously considering just posting "where's the mother?" every week until she comes because this is ridiculous. -___- I want as much time to get to know her as possible, but I suppose they know what they're doing.
Flag
SO FUNNY! I do not care that it was filler, this is one of my favourite episodes. Best part was prayer five!!!
Flag
Funny episode but waaay too filler-y. What's next, Robin Williams as their new fun priest? (FYI I'd watch the hell out of that)
Flag
Of course it's filler after all the whole season will be about this stupid wedding.
Flag
No! Robin Williams as their new priest sounds like a good idea!

So of course we'll probably get the camera B guy from the last season of The View making the bouquet for the wedding, or some equally filler-y crap.

Flag
Or Marshall as a new judge will officiate, and our eyes will collectively roll entirely out of our heads.
Flag
Not sworn in yet, he'd have to do the same online ordination Barney did to officiate his and Liliy's wedding.
Flag
Also, ted with yet another (blonde) moron who is 100% inconsequential to the story. 45 hours before the wedding no less. If a story had ever been beaten to death and then some, it is this.
Flag
MORE THUMBS!
Flag
Why is Milioti even a regular this season? Sherri Shepherd might as well have gotten the bump. She has had way more screen time (and I am not happy about it).

I feel like I bitch about this show every week, but I see lots of comments every week that agrees with me. I'm not being negative for the sake of it. I want the show to be good again.... but I want to see The Mother.

I did love Lily pretending to be Robin though, saying that her fiance is a psychopath (true), and that she was a slut (not true).
Flag
The Naked Man
Flag
This epsiode felt long and draw out. It was once again another filler episode. At the very least they could have shown the actress playing the mother instead of showing the old clip of the faceless mother with the umbrella.
Flag
I've got to say I disagree with you. I've been enjoying all the Barney/Robin storylines and certainly don't find them "increasingly terrible". It is their wedding after all (then again, some people just don't want them to get married which is most of the reason for the discord). I don't know why everyone thinks there's going to be some massive focus on the Mother this season. That is not the story the show creators ever wanted to tell. We're never going to see extended episodes of Ted and the Mother. People might as well face that.
Flag
Fair enough. The show has never pretended it was not a drawn out thing. However I think a fair argument can be made that the show runners created a certain level of expectation when they upgraded Milioti as a regular this season and showed her in last season's finale and then the opening episodes.
Flag
Well, I think they only upgraded her to a regular for contractual reasons to secure her for whenever they needed her, but I still don't expect to see her beyond a reoccurring guest status, much like James. I mean think about it, how would that even work if she was on every week but just never happened to bump into Ted at the hotel?
Flag
Well James is not the titular character, literally, and he has still had way more screen time, and actual stories. Anyway "recurring guest status" would entail actually recurring, as well.

Anyway, I'm not disputing your point at all. If she was at the hotel and ran into Ted now, it wouldn't work with the "canon" and I wouldn't want that anyway, but my point is that this hotel stuff is filler and I'd like to move to the actual wedding and the meeting.
Flag
Liked it, was very well done but I would still like more of the mother please! This is the last season after all.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members