A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

I guess it's time we stopped kidding ourselves and start coming to terms with the fact that How I Met Your Mother is ending. CBS has released the official episode description for the one-hour series finale, "Last Forever," which will air in less than three weeks, on Monday, March 31. And it's a doozy. In fact, I can't believe it! If you don't want to be spoiled for the finale, you should look away now. Are you guys ready? 

I'll give you a moment to prepare... okay, here it is:

Ted finally finishes telling his kids the story of how he met their mother.

Wow, thank you, CBS! This is brand-new information! But in all seriousness, the network also released the cast list for the finale, which might contain some clues? Take a look at it, then hit the comments with your theories for what happens in the episode. 

SERIES REGULARS: Josh Radnor, Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders, Neil Patrick Harris, Alyson Hannigan, Cristin Milioti

RECURRING CAST: Bob Saget, Lyndsy Fonseca, David Henrie

GUEST CAST: Judith Drake (Benice), Marshall Manesh (Ranjit), Joe Nieves (Carl), Saudia Rashed (Nurse), Courtney Hope Turner (Girl), Brooke Lynn Howard (Sexy Girl #1), Justene Alpert (Sexy Girl #2), Alexandria Skaltsounis (Erin), Patrick Kang (22-Year-Old Guy), Kerrigan Milker (Girl)

I'll start us off! Since Joe Nieves—who plays MacLaren's bartender Carl—is listed, it's a good bet that the gang will return to the bar for one last hurrah. Sounds about right!

Okay, now it's your turn! Are you ready to say goodbye to Ted and the gang?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

43 Comments
Comments (43)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
these final episodes its just looks like the actors r trying to play pre-teens trying to be funny tbh.
Flag
if the mom is dead/coma its not goin to be a big suprise after season 2 i already had that thought
Flag
i'm sad that the show is ending, but lets be honest: himym its like a master chef food, it smelled great at the beginning we ate it and it was amazing but eventually it turned into shit and i'm glad that's finally being flushed. i hope that himyf will be great.
Flag
thank you, kaitlin, for being one of the few writers left who actually agrees with me and is loving the end of this season. honestly, in all 9 seasons, i have yet to hate an episode. im just sitting back and enjoying the beauty that is being displayed before me. ill never be ready for it to end, but life moves on.
Flag
oh god! i just re-watched s08 ep20, and after last weeks Daisy... i just wanna cryyy!!!!
those extra 45 days or even 45 seconds...
i guess it explains WHY Ted was telling this story. ;o;
Flag
I'm ready...well, not really, but I can handle it. I think.
Flag
oh god i thought i was ready for it to end but turns out i'm not cuz i got sad thinking bout the las epi ever...
Flag
So we have a nurse, 2 sexy girls, Ranjit, and Carl. Sounds like a good bar scene our future
Flag
So I'm guessing something happens to Billy Zabka before the finale, if he's not guest starring... makes me interested to see what happens to make him not show up at the wedding, after Barney invited him.
Flag
I can't believe it, but I just teared up at that. No, the show isn't what it was, but the fact that Ted is finishing his story is crazy after 9 years loving the characters
Flag
Ready or not it's not like we have a choice here!!!
But I'll deal with it. And I think it's time because even if I like the show it is a bit less entertaining that at the beginning. And if the rumors are true i won't like the end. Then lets be done with it.
Maybe I will allow myself to hate the writters!!!!
Flag
There's been so many years... I can't believe I won't be seing these guys !
Flag
Since there is a nurse I'll go and say we'll see a birth of the children.

Flag
i'll go and say that we're about to see somethin really sad :(
Flag
That's also a possibility but i don't want to think about it.
Flag
yeah it's time. the show is not good anymore. the only reason I'm watching is cause I wanna know how they met (duh) and I wanna know her name!
Flag
who?
Flag
Leia.
Flag
How do people know this? Please confirm source.
Flag
They don't "know" it, it's just speculation. But it would fit quite nicely - The reason they named the daughter Penny was because there was already a Leia in the family. Makes sense, right? I guess we'll find out one way or the other soon enough.
Flag
I'm missing the Penny-Leia connection. Did Princess Leia have a daughter named Penny or whut?
Flag
I think it's just speculation/guessing, since their daughter's name is Penny. There's been nothing to hint that her name is Leia.
Flag
It is all speculation of course. I just find it really strange that they have not given her a name yet, which hints that it has to have meaning. In addition, there is the fact that his daughter's name is Penny of course. It adds up pretty nicely.
Flag
"Okay, now it's your turn! Are you ready to say goodbye to Ted and the gang?"

Honestly? not really. I mean, I know it's time and it's been 9yrs/Seasons but watching a show for that long, a show like this anyway, you get attached to the characters and in some weird way they're kind of like family. Birthdays, Holidays, Ups, Downs, Heart-breaks, we've seen them go through all of this stuff and we were right there with them laughing, cheering, sometimes crying. I know, I know their just characters on a TV series but still, it'll be hard to say goodbye to this group of characters. At least for me.

On the plus side though, I'm glad the Finale is an Hour long. I've been thinking about the Finale a lot lately and I kept coming to same conclusion, there is just no way to cram 9yrs of memories, tie-up everything and witness the "..and that's how I met your Mother." in 30 minutes. I seriously love the heck out HIMYM, I hope the finale is a great and satisfying end to the Series.
Flag
I was hoping to see Carol the waitress one last time. Hating Marshall but serving him drinks. And I thought the description of 22 year old guy seems like it means more than he is just a nameless cameo, or why else mention his age.
Flag
I am still worried...
I am worried that, like A LOT of comedies, it will end darkly.

I fear the worse; The mother is dead and Ted is telling the story about a mother they hardly knew, to his kids, because she died years before.

Ok....out with the bad air....in with the good. I am ready for the finale. Bring it....and it better be ....legen...wait-for-it...DARY! Legendary!
Flag
Maybe it's just me, but I think they should end it in this way.

For those that remember the chat around 'who is the mother' in season 1 and then season 2, there was a lot of speculation based on clues. But it all went out the window when the writers knew it was renewed for another season. So, my point is, that was all a bit disappointing.

So it would be interesting to see them do something different with this. Especially after the 42? days thing, and make a memorable hoorah.
Flag
Where are Doctor, Priest, Funeral Attendant #1 and Funeral Attendant #2?
Flag
Can't wait to see how the character of "Girl" develops.
Flag
Do they usually list Bob Saget? Maybe he will show up on screen?
Flag
Staff
He's always listed in all of the press materials.
Flag
Cool, first one I'd read :P
Flag
New dumb theory - his daughter is getting married/getting serious with her bf. (The 22-year-old-guy)
Flag
I bet all those seemingly throw away characters listed as guest actors will be really important but saying the names will give something big away, so they are keeping it under wraps :P
Flag
Well I guess there is no point in watching the finale now.
Flag
Has Bob Saget ever been officially credited on the show?
Flag
Well, that spoiled it for me. I wasn't expecting him to end the story at all..
Flag
lol I bet the mother is dead and they some how show us a future where ted and robin are together and that will just suck because i never like t and r as a couple
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm