A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

How I Met Your Mother S09E05: "The Poker Game

This final season of How I Met Your Mother is only five episodes old, but we've already bounced back and forth between quality episodes that made us laugh and cry, and groan-inducing episodes that made us want to yell and scream. "The Poker Game," thankfully, was one of the best outings yet, and that's because it was the first episode of Season 9 where the time-shifts felt integral to the story. We knew this season would feature a lot of flashbacks and flashforwards, but not since the premiere—when Ted shared a moment with the Mother—have they felt as well placed as they did this week.

The Ted and Marshall storyline was one of the show's better uses of Marshall in awhile, because he actually had something to do beyond sitting next to Sherri Shepherd and yelling into a phone, or appearing via Skype to settle an argument between his friends. From a storyline point of view, I'm not entirely sure why the writers chose this path for Marshall this season, but I do wonder if his limited appearances stem from Jason Segel's availability and/or willingness to sign on for Season 9. But no matter the reason behind Marshall's road trip predicament, I was glad to see Marshall as a living, breathing human being again.

Along with Marshall's return to human status, "The Poker Game" was also a return to form as Ted and Marshall's plot regarding whether or not Ted gave Lily and Marshall a wedding gift, and the subsequent frustration Ted felt at not having received a thank-you note for said gift, felt like classic HIMYM. The show presented one version of reality—Marshall and Lily spent years fuming because they never received a wedding gift from their best friend—and then flipped it on its head as we saw the opposite side of the story: Ted bought them a coffee pot, and we viewed all of the original scenes through a new lens. 

I genuinely laughed at Marshall and Ted's inability to talk to each other; their alternative—dropping thinly veiled hints for years—made them seem like utter lunatics. I mean, they even went so far as to dress up as a wedding present and a thank-you note for Halloween one year (and yes that was Katie Holmes in a surprise cameo in the flashback!), and still neither of them brought it up. HIMYM's been one long lesson in the use of an unreliable narrator, and while the gag worked well for a number of years, the series has struggled to pull it off in recent memory. So it was downright refreshing to see the series hit all the marks with this week's time-traveling story.

It even made me forgive the show for its Robin and Barney storyline this week, which saw Barney forced to take sides in Scherbatsky vs. Stinson and Stinson. It's a situation we've seen before: Once you're married, who do you side with, your significant other or your family? And while the jokes weren't necessarily all that funny, some of them were delivered so well by Neil Patrick Harris that I'm not sure it matters. "Sorry, muffberry bluffmuff, all in!" was great, and I loved his bathroom freakout when Robin barged in on him attempting to cheat in the poker game. So despite the oddly jarring moment when Barney told James and Loretta that he was never going to see them again once he got married, and then blamed it on Robin, and then didn't see why that was a problem, the Robin and Barney story gets a pass on the basis that Frances Conroy is awesome, plus Ted and Marshall's material was funny enough that it made up for the weirdness of the abrupt shifts in Barney's choices. And it lent itself to a potty joke that I definitely laughed at. So sue me, I'm immature. 

NOTES

– Lily dressed up as Michael Cera's character from Juno for Halloween the year Marshall chose to dress up as a wedding present to make a point to Ted. I love the fact that they often switch genders for their costumes. Also, Lily made a surprisingly good Michael Cera?

– In addition to tonight's episode being one big callback to the days when HIMYM was really great, we also had a callback to Ted and Marshall's favorite pizza place in Chicago.

– More bronzed, corn-rowed Barney, please! That was so much WTF it went all the way around and became a FTW in a matter of seconds. I have a feeling we'll see more of post-honeymoon Barney, and it's another one of those jokes that worked well because the show just skipped over it like it wasn't a big deal (like the goat when it was originally introduced).

– I didn't once ask myself where the Mother was during tonight's episode—good going, writers! (But for reals, when can we expect to see her again? Love her.)

– I miss MacLaren's. I think part of the reason the series feels so off this season is that it's lost a very important character in the bar.

– FYI: Marshall does not regret that sewing class he took because he learned a useful life skill. 

– Ranjit's hat said Legal Poker Aruba. And yes, it's a real website

– Ted's thank-you note costume: "Dear friend, thank you for the present! Love, your friend."

– "There’s one thing that didn’t leave me at the altar, and that’s my manners." Douchey, manner-loving Ted is still the best.

– "See ya, losers!"

thekaitling:list:how-i-met-your-mother-what-did-you-think-of-the-poker-game/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

96 Comments
Comments (96)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm pretty sure tan corn-row Barney is a Friends reference (tachel after going alone to Ross and Emily's honeymoon)
Flag
Staff
It was on its game! I still want to punch that filthy Cobra Kai.
Flag
I really hated the ending. Even for a comedy show its too much: Game on bitch... say what???? Why didnt she just say: look Barney said some bullshit of course he will still be in your life... u know how he is sometimes, lets have a drink mom... but nooo what the hell was that?
Flag
To everyone who genuinely liked this episode: you might as well stop reading this right now. To those who stayed: it took an almost entirely unwatchable 8th season and three painfully shallow episodes of the grand finale for me to actually shout "This is awful!" during HIMYM. And I don't do that a lot. So hey, how about this: in the final season, EVERY character sucks.

Marshall's pretty much a non-entity, so let's just leave him at his roadtrip hellride for now. Lily is a mean, sex-crazed idiot. She is so one-dimensional right now, I'm surprised her image is not reduced to a single dot on my screen. Ted is ... is... what exactly? A goofy extra? A sad person with OCD? The thoughtless and empty shell of someone who was once this show's protagonist? I don't know, and I don't even want to find out. Robin is basically a guy who is surprisingly good at pretending to be a woman, and not much else. And now, after this episode, Barney is a four-year old. Again.

To all of those defending the show arguing that it is just a sitcom after all: we didn't stop looking at the show from that perspective, the writers did. When Marshall's father died. When Robin told the story of how she can't have children to her phantom future-children. When Ted spent an entire episode talking to himself at the bar. Sitcoms don't get super-serious and then expect us to pass off their storytelling flaws on the very premiss that they are just a sticom after all. I'm sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Oh, and if this is all just a long con on the writers' part to alienate us from absolutely everyone of the main characters so we should like the Mother even more when she finally becomes an integral part of the series about her, then newsflash: everybody (myself definitely included) already LOVES Cristin Milioti's character. And it's a shame we don't get to see her make at least a marginal impact on her show that is so desperately in need of a game changer. Should she not arrive for the upcoming bunch of episodes, get ready for out-of-the-blue immaturity outbursts, Lily sexing up inanimate objects, useless flashbacks (I'm sorry, this plot was unnecessary and full of so many needless twists that it quickly became predictable...) and the shark-jump-fest that this episode most certainly was.

I'm finished now, bring on the hate :) (or the love, I guess...)
More+
Flag
You're spot on, especially with the characters. I want to reiterate but you described them all perfectly. All character development has been thrown out the window this season
Flag
so far, this is my most favorite episode of season 9. but seriously, no mother even though she is credited in every episode.
Flag
I am tired of that Robin-Barney-wedding. Please get it over with!
Flag
then series will end.
Flag
I really hope they do not drag it all over the season! I do not know if I even can take two more episodes of ## hours before the wedding...
Flag
The season is the wedding, so no luck.
Flag
Nooooooo!! :-(

Flag
more mother, please! I feel like we have so little time left to get to know her, please use it wisely!
Flag
good for the flashbacks, bad with the "current" storyline
Flag
Yes, that was the Katie Holmes cameo
Flag
did anyone notice the 'slutty pumpkin?'
Flag
This episode was probably my favorite of this season. It was a lot more lighthearted and felt a lot more like a classic episode of the show. Barney's part at the end was the only part that was kind of awkward. And also, Slutty Pumpkin anyone?! I loved how it showed Ted missing her
Flag
Sorry, but somehow I just couldn't buy that tension between Robin and Barney's family, and Barney's involvement in it, especially the way that Barney overreacted in the end.
On the other hand, the misunderstanding about the wedding gift was the better part of the episode
Flag
This is the most hit or miss comedy on TV today, but when it's good it's good. And that's what makes us sit through the crap to get to the good stuff...
Flag
Kiss-ass. ;-)
Flag
It's in its 9th season, so it must be doing something right. I'm still on season 8 and I watched a pretty good one last night, but the previous 3 were kinda dumb--I won't say which one wasn't, because it did have some dumb stuff in it winky boy :-)
Flag
lots of callbacks in this episode, including Marshall shaved hair after the wedding and the bit when he speaks beautifully about the pizza, like he once did about the best burger in NY
Flag
And everybody wants Marshall hanging with the rest, and McLaren's back on screen! Why didn't Robin and Barney get married there???? They supposed to be unconventional so...
Flag
I like this episode better tan the previous one. Ted and Marshall's plotline was great! But not so much Barney and Robin's (the idea of marriage family trouble was good but no the development). What happened with the mother? If writers really want her to grow on the audience, we need more references! And definetly, we need to understand why Ted will irremediably fall for her. After 9 years of laughing and waiting, we want someone PERFECT for him!
Flag
I just realized that they had a spoiler this episode for Lily and Marshal's impending trip to Italy. They're, or at least Lily, is still in New York after the honeymoon of Barney and Robin.
Flag
Maybe Barney doesn't get married for a year and by then Marshall and Lily have returned. They're kinda cheating on this show with that stuff.
Flag
I think Barney got married at Farhampton. What we don't know is how long the honeymoon is. Barney may be rich, but I don't think he's going to go on a year long honeymoon.
Flag
I was asking me the same question. Not about Marshall hairs, thought it was weird :D! But about Marshal story-line for this season. If Jason is not really available due to private or professional matters, or he wasn't really ok for signing for a 9th season then it's ok. But if that's a choice the writers made just because they wanted then it is not so good.
I miss Marshall!
Anyway I liked the story about the wedding gift a lot :)
Flag
WHAT THE HELL WAS WRONG WITH MARSHALL'S HAIR??? Did he forget his hair piece???
Flag
During his wedding, Marshal allowed a cousin of Lily do his hair. He ended up with frosted tips, and in a freak out moment, he shaved a reverse mohawk.
Flag
i liked the ted-marshall subplot but i generally thought that barney was joking when he was describing disowning his family. it was just random. also i didnt like the fact that robyn was being a d-ck to barneys family. barneys brother is going through a divorce and is clearly not over it so you take his wedding ring. i would have sided with the family on that one
Flag
Ugh, finally HIMYM found its old groove. I didn't hate the two previous episodes but this one was classic Ted and Marshall. If the seasons keeps up this quality, it can beat our expectations.
I still don't like Marshall being so seperated from the rest of the gang but he's almost halfway there, so I have hope he will arrive in the next three weeks.
Flag
Better than the last one but I miss MacLaren's too.
Flag
So here I was expecting this review to tear HIMYM a knew one and what I actually got was the complete opposite. Didn't see that coming.

I have been defending the show this season. I thought it has been pretty good. But to be honest I got nothing for this one, I thought it was the weakest so far. The thank you note story was pretty boring and really not all that funny. I actually thought Barney and Robin's story was much better...but thats not saying much. So maybe I to am starting to get impatient. Maybe I want to see the mother more than I realized. Or... maybe this episode wasn't very good.

Ah well, I guess they are allowed to have an off night every now and then.

O, I did like seeing Katie Holmes again. Good for her, coming back for literally 2 seconds of air time and no dialogue.

O, I am also really digging all the call backs this season.
Flag
As the final season of How I Met Your Mother plays out, I am filled with both excitement and dred. I try to find the best in everything and while this season has had its ups and downs, I have tried my best to remain optimistic that the season will be great. You never know what to expect from any given episode, and while I think for the most part the season has been okay (the Mother is AWESOME, though we don't get her enough) there are some aspects that just aren't too great. Marshall's continued separation from the group is too much to ignore, and while they try to include him, it is definitely not the same, the wedding format doesn't bother me as much as others, but I do agree spreading it out over the whole season may be a bit much. I am still holding out hope that things will pick up soon, as we still have another 48 hours before the actual wedding takes place.

As for this episode, it wasn't good, not horrible, just not great. I thought the best part of the episode was the Ted/Marshall/Lily scenes and it was great to get some flashbacks/callbacks of seasons past. I loved Marshall describing the pizza (the same pizza he and Ted drove across country for) like he described the Best Burger in NY, Lily/Stuart/Claudia flashback, flashforward of Barney after his honeymoon, and the flashbacks of Marshall and Ted throwing hints at each other about the present, but for the most part I didn't enjoy the episode. I am not a fan of Barney and Robin, I never was, but I accepted them as a couple because at least it made sense why they would/could make it work together (Daddy issues, relationship issues, love of cigars and scotch, egomaniacs/narscissists, etc). I understand why Robin was upset with Barney for picking his family over her, she had every right to be angry, but I feel that her actions were out of line. It was obvious why James was saying the things that he was, most people going through a divorce are angry/hurt/bitter and he is at a wedding where people are in love and happy, it was rude of him to act the way he was, but Robin could have been the bigger person and just let James know how she felt in a more respectable manner. I know Barney's mother's part in it was played up for laughs, but the way Robin treats her doesn't make her look all that great in my eyes. Loretta was sticking up for her son, Robin was being vindictive, I know it was done for laughs but I didn't find it all that funny. These are going to be her in-laws, if they were going to do something like this, it should have happened when her and Barney first got engaged, not during their wedding weekend. The showrunners are trying to jam too many problems into the weekend. I did like that Barney finally took her side, as he should have in the first place, and the fact that he took it as far as he did (cutting his family out of his life and saying it was because Robin told him to), so it will be interesting to see where they go from here. Overall not a great episode, though not the worst. We need more of the Mother and Ted, and less Barney and Robin.
More+
Flag
Still wanting more mother. Was more moved by Skype-Marshpillow last week.
Flag
Kaitlin, it was a coffee maker, not a coffee pot.

I actually found The Poker Game to be the middle of the pack quality of episode, and yes the time shifts were integral and Barney almost grew as a character (man did they pull the legs out from under that one), but the actual writing and humor wasn't the best, and there was a lot of communication problems to drive the plot which are always a strain.

Oh, and apparently Barney is definitely getting married, is that a spoiler or a cheat? I thought it was still up in the air.

Got a glimpse at the Slutty Pumpkin, that really paid off that tiny moment by installing it into existing canon (and existing flashback canon).

The twist of Ted's gift being tag-switched was such an obvious one that I called it from the first moment, I would have preferred something more clever, but whatever.
Flag
All these filler episodes leading up to the wedding are wasting time that we as an audience could be getting to know the mother. For example, the scene from a few episodes ago with Lily and the mother on the bus was a great way to introduce her to us without introducing her to Ted. I'd love to see more creative ways to get her into the story. This was a fine episode, but not great compared to what I think we should be getting at this juncture of the show's final season.
Flag
Yeah, for instance, when he said he had got a wedding gift four months later, we could at least see the two together opening it, or whatever... anything
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Without the fake laugh I wouldn't even know that himym is comedy.
Flag
Loved the whole thank you card and wedding gift situation, in my case it seemed even more ridiculous cause in my country nobody gets thank you cards.
Barney´s an Robin's story was really silly and over the top. I know they want to explode the whole daugther in law and mother in law situation but Barney cutting off his family while thinking it was a great was kinda WTF.
Nonetheless I really liked the episode :)
Flag
I asked myself where the Mother was.
Flag
This season has been so disappointing.

Allyson Hannigan's acting seems forced, completely unnatural. Even her facial expressions are more annoying than humorous. Maybe it's just me, but she even looks different this season -- tired maybe?

It's almost like they took excess footage from what was intended to be a two hour finale and made it into 1/2 a season's worth of episodes to extend the show one more season.
Flag
I just thought exactly the same about Alyson Hannigan! Is she done with Lily or what?
Flag
There is something messed up regarding my memory. For some reason, I remember that Ted was at a train station just after Barney's wedding and he said to a stranger that he was at a wedding, he wasn't the groome, and the wedding got cancelled. Is that right? If not, what was that scene about? (really bothers me now); If yes, why did we have after-honeymoon flashforward?
Flag
In 8.01, Ted was sitting in the Farhampton train station by himself (about to meet the Mother) telling a stranger about the wedding he was just at because the old lady asked him about the tux he was wearing. At no point did Ted say the wedding got cancelled. The show runners have said just the opposite in fact.
Flag
Oh I see. Thanks, I couldn't put it out my head! :)
Flag
Confession bear : For me it was kind of boring I didn't laugh once
Flag
Much better this week, Ted/Marshall/Lily has me laughing quiet a bit.

My biggest problem with this show (for a while now) is Barney & Robin, NPH's devotion to Barney is what makes him worth watching but the writers haven't really made both as likeable as they once were.
Flag
I had no idea who Lily dressed was supposed to be dressed like. The show has gone so far downhill and all those references to garbage culture don't help.
Flag
Loved the Ted/Marshall/Lily story line. Hated the Barney/Robin story line. I know they're going for the laugh, but come on! You don't treat your mother-in-law (or daughter-in-law) like that. They should have had the showdown between Robin and Barney's mom a long time ago and resolved it by now.
Flag
I actually thought Marshall/Ted story was ridiculous. How did Ted not remember actually giving the coffee maker? And the flashbacks felt forced.

The episode's saving grace was Barney dumping his brother and mother. It's funny Kaitlin didn't like this. It was the first time in YEARS me and my friends couldn't stop laughing. That's daring comedy. And not only does he go over the top, he also blames it on his fiancee. That's amazing. I laughed as hard as if this was Happy Endings. Refreshingly funny scene. Loved it.
Flag
Yeh, I didn't get how easily Ted folded when Lilly said "Nope we got the coffee maker from someone else"

It would be one thing if he never gave it a second thought and said "Wow, I guess my memory of 3 years ago is fuzzy maybe I forgot to put the gift on the pile" But it was apparently a big deal for him and weeks/months after the wedding was annoyed by the whole situation. So the memory would still be fresh in his mind at that point. And even if he didn't put it on the pile... where did it go? He obviously remembered at least buying it.

In real life I would have immediately assumed that some jerk put their card on his gift the instant Lilly would tell "me" that the gift came from someone else.
Flag
Guys, I don't know how much fake car driving I can take anymore.
Flag
Just realized Sherri Shepherd has been on way more than The Mother this season. Wow, is that depressing since she's mostly just been fake driving.
Flag
That's not fair, they've also made her a huge jerk for no reason as well.
Flag
LOL, but don't you get it "that's funny"! (according to no one but the writers??)

Flag
My thoughts: Ugghhh... Barney and Robin seem to bring out the worst in each other, and this episode just cinched why I hate the two of them together... And Barney's my favorite character on the shoe. (Or WAS.) Robin was right to be upset at Barney's brother for making the stupid and offensive marriage jokes, and I understand taking his ring to put him in his place. But Barney's monologue at the end of the episode wasn't funny. It was just... MEAN! Barney's been an ass throughout the entire show, but this just went way over the top and was in my opinion crueler than anything he's done on the show thus far.

HOWEVER, I will give this episode credit where credit is due- the Wedding Present B-plot between Ted, Lily, and Marshall was genuinely hilarious, the funniest this season's been so far. I LOVE how the story was told with flashbacks, and I still can't believe how Alyson Hannigan aged after 9 years on the show! And the way Marshall can snap from guilt ridden to rage filled at the drop of a dime was nicely played. Also Marshall's pizza monologue seemed like a throwback to the episode where he ate "the perfect burger." It even had classical music in the background!

I miss the Mother. She was in two episodes in a row at the beginning of the season and showed us how awesome she is, yet the writers seem to deliberately be holding her back from meeting anyone else after Lily. Granted, this episode didn't really seem to have a way to work her in, but last episode gave Robin the perfect opportunity to meet her but the writers completely dropped the ball and wasted the opportunity. The Mother is supposed to appear around episode 7 or 8 for a brief cameo. Do I really need to wait another 2 episodes of Robin and Barney being dicks to everyone around them?

Overall, my opinion is- Robin and Barney A-plot: D-. Ted, Lily, and Marshall B-plot: A. Overall rating- 7.9 out of 10. (I add a point for the mention of Chicago's legendary pizza. I've had it, and yes, I agree, the pizza is a gift from God.) MORE MOTHER!
More+
Flag
I don't think they bring out the worst in each other... I just think that Barney (as a rule) over-corrects and/or over-reacts. He realized he was wrong in something, and then over-reacted.

But I do agree that his angry conversation with his brother and mom was simply not funny. Even in a "what an idiot" way.

I was hoping the punchline would be that he lied about the confrontation to Robin just to mess with her and to get her to talk to them on her own... but Barney's mom's reaction supported that it all happened as he said.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I think this episode was better because Marshall and Lily were actually together in some scenes as well. That, and as Kaitlin mentioned MacLaren's have been missing this entire season (and UGH likely seems to continue for several more episodes).

I've never been one for Robin and Barney as a couple, but I didn't really think they brought out the worst in each other either, until this season when they absolutely do. Every episode their story is filler and eyeroll worthy, and that's pretty lame considering this is all about them. I know "it's about how Ted met the mother" but come on, these specific episodes are just about their wedding weekend... Get married already so we can meet the mother.
Flag
a: I liked the nod to the burger hunt with Regis, with marshall describing the pizza bite by bite. And as far as I can rememebr it is the same pizza place that got him and Ted sick, so again, nice.
B: The idea that Ted. MArshall, and Lily,bestest of best friends. would obsess over a wedding gift and thank you note is a good way to spend a burn off episode. Yes they get along, but Lily and Marshall have a few things they keep from Ted (even mistakenly) and Ted does as well (it seemed like it was also mistakenly, but Stuart was the bad guy) So we got to see a couple fllashbacks to scenes we hadn't seen before. Including the Halloween party where Ted lloked like he was going to be in the Broken Chad costume only to find out he was in a Thank You note costume , with a nice shot of Katie Holemes in the SLutty pumpkin outfit. And a nice play with Stuart and Clauda, the worst couple ever.
C: Robin taking apart James' issues with marriage was great. And the possible set up of a showdown with Barneys mom before the wedding was nice.
D: Zapka is just all over his season, doesn't have to be a part of the episode, just in ther. so that rocks.
E:The pizza Marshall finally had delivered is not just proof that Ted is the best friend ever, but is also from the place that make you sick in 12 hours, so I am hoping that comes into play.
I'm sure I'll think of a few other reasons I liked this episode and what i am hoping for in the next few but for now this is what i got. also I was watching the Chargers beat the colts so I didn't worry too much about this episode. and go Chargers
More+
Flag
I thought this serie was "How I met your mother", not "How Barney and Robin got married after a crazy but predictable weekend".... really, guys, I'm tired of the whole storyline... Please Show us The Mother at least five minutes in every episode and don't make Ted in a supporting character :S
Flag
This^
Flag
The flash forward in episode 2 was the perfect way to show that the Mother and Ted are meant to be. I hope the upcoming episodes have more of those, cause otherwise if the series ends on Ted simply meeting the Mother on the train station, it'll be a complete let down because we'll have no way of knowing how the Mother stands out from Robin, Stella, or the countless other girlfriends Ted had during the series.
Flag
that shouldn't happen as an episode in the middle of the season is called How Your Mother Met Me
Flag
I would love to see what the mother is up too more . Its seem the writers are just trying giving the fan lips service but giving the fans what they been waiting to see.

I thought the episode was okay but felt like a typical HIMYM filler episode. I did like it better than some of the previous episode though the series seems to be threading water as it did in previous seasons/. I was hoping for more from the season this year than it has been giving us.
Flag
How is this what the fans wants to see!!! My impression - which I admit might be way off - is that the fans WANTS to see more of The Mother? I certainly do. I absolutely detest this filler crap, even though I really enjoyed this week's Ted/Marshall/Lily plot.
Flag
I think I realized tonight that the quality of this show doesn't even really matter very much to me anymore. I love these 5 characters so much that I'm just happy to get to spend time with them, and I don't really care if the episode is hilariously funny or emotionally draining or heartfelt, I'm just happy to see Ted, Marshall, Lily, Barney, and Robin do virtually anything.
Flag
I didn't really like Robin in this episode. I think if she told James to stop telling marriage jokes and how she felt he would have stopped. Challenging him and winning his ring was kind of messed up to me. He felt like he was still hurting from the divorce and making jokes to hide his pain, so taking his ring and making fun of him felt kind of mean.

I could still side with her a bit, because of the jokes were inappropriate since Barney and Robin were getting married, but when Barney asked her to give the ring back (nicely) she turned into a your brother or me kind of deal. Took it way too far by taking Barney's mom's shirt. Don't get me wrong, I liked the episode and laughed a bit. Robin rubbed me the wrong way and alienated her future husband's family when she could have just told James how she felt about the jokes instead of trying to punish him. Barney actually telling his family to essentially go to hell and he would pick Robin every time was hilarious at how Robin realized how she unintentionally gave him that message.
Flag
These last few episodes are really starting to wear on my nerves. The first few episodes were perfect because while sitcomy classic HIMYM they also had emotion and the actual mother in them. But this one and the last few are just cheesy and feel so empty compared to the first two episodes of the season. I really want the last season to be a payoff for sticking with the show not a drawn out snoozefest
Flag
This was the best episode since the premiere. Loved the Ted/Lily/Marshall stuff but the Barney/Robin stories are still leaving me a little cold.
Flag
Pretty much a classic 9/10 HIMYM episode. Lots of laughs.
Flag
This was the first time I genuinely laughed repeatedly during an episode, more proof that Robin and Barney are the highlights of the series these days. Still want the Mother to be seem more though. I mean she got promoted to series regular for a reason right?
Flag
This was a HUGE improvement over last week. Some genuinely funny gags and nice little throwback to the slutty pumpkin and Ted's costume. I think the mother should be brought back like everyone is saying but I dont mind too much if the episode quality stays decent like this for another couple of weeks.
Flag
GIVE ME THE FUCKING MOTHER.
Flag
I'd rather prefer a 12 episodes season with great stuff than this long season filled with crap.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members