A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

This might be seen as controversial, but I still like How I Met Your Mother. The addition of Cristin Milioti's Mother this season has been a breath of fresh air, which is why I'll be sad to see the show go when it suits up one last time for its just-announced one-hour series finale on March 31, 2014 at 8pm. Sure, How I Met Your Mother has had its ups and downs over the years, and it really is time to say goodbye to Ted and the gang, but Neil Patrick Harris is a national treasure, and March just seems too early, you know? 

But there are new shows to be launched, so March it is. Immediately following the finale, CBS will air a special preview of its new comedy Friends With Better Lives at 9pm. The show stars James Van Der Beek and Kevin Connolly as part of a group of friends who all think the others have it better. Who do these new friends think they are though? Are they better than Marshall? Doubtful. 

Starting on April 7, Friends With Better Lives will slide into its regular time slot of 8:30pm. And then on April 14, 2 Broke Girls will try to ruin our happy memories of all the fun times we had at MacLaren's, when the financially strapped ladies move into the the earlier 8pm shift. 

Here's how it all shakes out, straight from the network press release: 

Monday, March 31

8:00-9:00 PM                          HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER (One-Hour Series Finale)

9:00-9:30 PM                          FRIENDS WITH BETTER LIVES (Special Premiere)

9:30-10:00 PM                        MOM

10:00-11:00 PM                      INTELLIGENCE

Monday, April 7

8:00-8:30 PM                          THE BIG BANG THEORY (R)

8:30-9:00 PM                          FRIENDS WITH BETTER LIVES (Time Period Premiere)

9:00 PM to conclusion           NCAA MEN’S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Mondays, Effective April 14

8:00-8:30 PM                          2 BROKE GIRLS (New Time Period)

8:30-9:00 PM                          FRIENDS WITH BETTER LIVES

9:00-9:30 PM                          MIKE & MOLLY

9:30-10:00 PM                        MOM

10:00-11:00 PM                      INTELLIGENCE

Will you be sad to see HIMYM sign off for good? Is the world ready for a CBS Monday-night comedy block that's led by cupcakes and racist jokes? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

68 Comments
Comments (68)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Why is this being advertised over a year later???? It's March 2015....
Flag
You shouldn't be sad about not being able to see NPH on HIMYM, although he was great now his talents can be greatly furthered in other endeavours
Flag
I still love HIMYM.
Flag
I am one of these weird guys that like Ted the most, same with Friends and Ross...
Flag
Ross was my favorite Friend as well! And while I don't LOVE Ted, I think that's the character who is the most like me :/ and so I identify with him the most on HIMYM as well...
Flag
I don't mind the change. I know the show was penciled in to end on the same weekend it aired in the real world, but ending it earlier means fewer reruns. Especially during March Madness, which lasts through April (not a big college BBall fan).
It also means I don't have to worry about what may possibly be airing against it the night of the finale, no one else is going to do the same thing.
Flag
I'm unclear as to whether CBS had this planned all along and just didn't let on, or if this is a change based on the out-pouring of people saying the season-long wedding thing is getting tired. If it's the latter than I would be curious what they're cutting out.
Flag
You will not have to miss Neil Patrick Harris for long he still will be hosting a ton of shows :)
Flag
If the series finale is an hour of the ladies in suits, I'm not really down with that. I've never seen Lily and Robin look that unsexy.
Flag
Replacing How I Met Your Mother with Two Broke Girls is like saying to someone: "Oh, you enjoy the scent of those roses? Well here, I forcibly shat into this bag. Sniff that for a while."
Flag
forcibkt shat is what made this comment for me :P
Flag
For a generation HIMYM has been part and parcel of their life. So there will definitely be a big hole when it will end and it will be certainly missed. I just hope it ends on a note which is legen......wait for it......dary.
Flag
I'm very late to How I Met Your Mother, and have actually only started to watch it on a weekly basis this year, usually only checking in for three or four episodes each season before now. As someone who hasn't always been there from the start I still actually find the show to be a very enjoyable sitcom, in comparison to those who think the series has outlived its expiry date. I'm not always laughing (but that's just my temperament), but for a comedy it sure gets a lot more laughs out of me than most. So yes, I'm going to miss it (and I'm sort of even hoping that the spin-off will make it to air.)
Flag
HIMYM should have ended two seasons ago.
Flag
Whoa, this article's been up for 10 hours and it has less than 20 replies? (Ok, now it's got 20 with this one.) How the mighty How I Met Your Mother has fallen! The Office series finale scheduling articles got 5 times as many comments last season.

Flag
I do apologize JT, I just stopped caring about HIMYM last season and now I only watch for moments with the mother. I am upset that it is getting replaced by that horrible show 2 Broke Girls though.
Flag
No matter how far its fallen..its ending its nine year run as the highest rated comedy on CBS' Monday Night lineup. Can't ask for much more
Flag
I could ask for more responses. People don't seem to care anymore.
Flag
Ha ha, no CBS, you can't use the March (really, March? Ok, whatever) series finale of HIMYM to launch a show, that's not going to work at all. And especially not the generic mid-season sitcom that your promo materials for Friends with Better Lives has suggested.

And Jesus H. Christ, moving 2 Broke Girls up to 8pm? That's the raunchiest-language show on network right now, way to screw the pooch with a 12-inch dildo. Should have led with Mike & Molly, that show is the least-offensive thing you have left, and it's Chuck Lorre!

PS - does anybody care about "Intelligence"? Not Kaitlin either, apparently.
Flag
Staff
Intelligence, Shmintelligence.
Flag
But it has Josh Holloway! JOSH HOLLOWAY! ("Who?" "The guy from 'Lost'." "I didn't watch Lost." "Oh, then he's... um... a guy." "Then why should I care?" "It's like 'Chuck' but without the humor." "... then why should I care?")
Flag
"Should have led with Mike & Molly" That was my immediate thought too!

8:00 Mike & Molly
8:30 Friends With Better Lives (should probably give it a chance)
9:00 The Crazy Ones
9:30 Mom
10:00 Intelligence (or whatever)

Two Broke Girls is rubbish!
Flag
NOOOOO!!!! March is too early. We better see more of the mom.
Flag
I will be very sad to see HIMYM go :(
Flag
It's faded the last couple of seasons, but I'll be sad to see HIMYM go. CBS Monday nights used to be a good comedy block for me just a few short years ago. HIMYM, Rules of Engagement (before it got screwed around with so much), Big Bang Theory, and Two and a Half Men Charlie Sheen edition. Unfortunately I don't enjoy any of the comedies they'll have on Mondays now. Unless Friends With Better Lives turns out to be a hit with me, CBS has me for BBT, Elementary, Blue Bloods, and college football on fall Saturdays. I'm hoping Intelligence turns out to be good. I like Josh Holloway and I could use another good drama on TV.
Flag
Kevin Connolly? E has a new job?
Flag
Why so much hate for 2 broke girls? I honestly don't get it! If you don't like it don't watch it. A lot of people find it really funny.
Flag
It'll be sad to see HIMYM go. It's even more sad to see how many haters post in these communities. If you dislike the show so much, why are posting on articles about the show?
Flag
it'll be sad to see it go, it's been a big part of my TV landscape for the past 9 years... but it's time for it to leave us, I loved the show but now I just merely like it, feels like it's lost it's luster.

I find it weird how 2 Broke Girls keeps going earlier and earlier since it can be so dirty sometimes... but whatever. it's probably my favorite CBS comedy.
Flag
Stupid show should've had an end date of 4 years ago!!! Can't wait for it to go!!!
Flag
I'm confused by the people who think it should have gone so long ago. Many of us still enjoy it, as shown by the ratings and comments. Do you really spend that much time thinking about a show that you obviously hate? Do you believe that it is taking up some magical slot that belongs to some gem of a comedy that has yet to air? If you don't like it, simply turn the channel. There are 80235 different channels to choose from now. Stop spending so much of your precious time thinking about a show that you don't like
Flag
Because it was a good show for the first few seasons. After that it got repetitive and boring.
A lot of people hung on just because they wanted to meet the mother. They dragged that out for 5 years, so it's about time.
I watched the first 3-4 seasons, enjoying it. And I tried coming back to it for the final season, but I just couldn't get into it. So, enough already.
Flag
So I assume just not watching it is not an option? It's the "I can't wait for it to end" comments that confuse me. Is it really such a burden on people that it is still on? I can't stand many shows, but what is the point of going on posts about them to complain that they are still on the air?
Flag
It's a bittersweet moment. I'll be happy to see the show finally reach it's title. But I'll be sad to see it go since this season has been one of the best, especially the episode where Barney meets the mother.
Flag
Wow, it is kind of sad to see the actual end date. I feel like for a couple of seasons I have been kind of just watching the show (and only rarely have I actually been able to watch it in syndication, which is weird since I can still watch Friends). But an actual end date sort of drives it home, unlike with Friends where they were all older than me, this group more or less is my age group...they have all had less of an issue with age so, once Ted had his thirtieth, a few years ago, I haven't noticed.
Flag
I've actually enjoyed Season 9 for the most part, sure there have been a few clunkers, but the episodes for the most part have been an enjoyable, some even felt like Classic HIMYM, and the Mother episodes have been great. With that said the announcement of an early end is bitter-sweet. I'm definitely happy about less repeats, but a little bit sad that it is not ending as expected during may sweeps. I am however excited for the end, and am cautiously hopeful that the show will produce a good ending. I will miss this show dearly, as it was the first show I have watched beginning to end, but it is time for it to end, and hopefully it will be as satisfying as some of the Mother episodes have been thus far. It will be interesting to see the status of CBS Mondays following the end of HIMYM, and I doubt having 2BG anchor the night will be a success.
Flag
Sad to see it go, I must catch up.

While I've been finding this season a bit off, I will miss HIMYM.
Flag
I just want it to be over. I really, really, lost interest last season, and this season has seen the lowest low in the rhyme episode. After watching it all this years I feel like I have to watch it to the end, so march can't come soon enough.
Flag
The show is a shell of its former self but I'll still miss it! At least we won't get another long hiatus with this schedule, it is surprising to end it in March to me though!! Probably won't check out Friends with Better Lives lol idk if the move for 2BG will be a good one or not either but we shall see!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members