A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

How I Met Your Mother S09E23 and S09E24: "Last Forever" (Part 1 and Part 2)

Making television and writing for television is a difficult process. The best writers accept that where they thought they were going at the beginning isn't necessarily where they need to end up, and they're willing to alter their storyline accordingly. It's common knowledge by now that Aaron Paul's Jesse Pinkman wasn't supposed to live past the first season of Breaking Bad, and looking back it's clear that without him, we'd have had an entirely different series. Logan Echolls was never supposed to be Veronica Mars' true love, but the chemistry between Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring was too much to ignore and he became the thing that pulled her back to Neptune in the recent Veronica Mars movie. Boyd Crowder was supposed to die when Ava shot him in the chest on Justified, but the character was so well received that the show's writers brought Walton Goggins back, and he's often more interesting than Raylan. Sometimes shows make course corrections based on what happens on screen, and that is not only okay, it's encouraged, at least in my mind. It's what should happen. Over time we change as people, so it only makes sense that everything else in life changes too, including television. 

If How I Met Your Mother had only lasted three seasons and Ted and Robin had ended up together, I think I'd be writing a very different review of "Last Forever." As it stands, I'm terribly conflicted by the end of a show that I hold near and dear to my heart, not to mention one that, by all accounts, was having a really great final run of episodes in the lead-up to the finale. "Last Forever" won't retroactively taint my feelings regarding the rest of the series, but I can truthfully say it's not an episode I'm eager to revisit anytime soon. I might eventually come around to accepting the fact "Last Forever" wasn't just a one-day-early April Fool's Day prank, but right now the ire I feel toward Craig Thomas and Carter Bays for refusing to accept that the show they created in 2005 wasn't the same show in 2014 runs deep.

Over the years, Cobie Smulders proved to have perfect chemistry with both Josh Radnor and Neil Patrick Harris, and although the plan all along was for Ted to end up with Robin, no one would've faulted Thomas and Bays for changing their minds as characters evolved and relationships deepened. How I Met Your Mother ran for nine years, and it's never been more clear than it is right now that they never expected or planned for that kind of success. The series' final scene with the actors who played Ted's children was filmed in 2006, once it was obvious they were aging too fast for the story, but I don't think the creators ever imagined they'd be putting it to use in 2014. And I'm not willing to believe the fact that they felt they had to use that scene because this last season was a surprise. The series could've ended in Season 8, with the Mother's "One ticket to Farhampton, please." I can't for the life of me figure out why Thomas and Bays let one tiny scene filmed eight years ago dictate the ending of a series that was, for all intents and purposes, about growing up, changing, and realizing that what we once thought was important isn't always going to be the case.

By attempting to bend the storyline in to fit their original picture of the perfect ending, the creators made it clear that How I Met Your Mother the series and Ted and Robin's cliched storyline have always been the Robin to their Ted. They had this idea of the perfect show and the perfect ending, and didn't take in to account that perfection is just an concept, and that life doesn't always work out the way we plan or hope. Ted realized this very idea in "The End of the Aisle," when he blatantly told Robin that he didn't love her the same way he once did, and so for the series to backtrack a week later is insulting to fans who've stuck by the series for the last nine years.

But Ted ultimately ending up with Robin was only a small part of what went wrong in the finale. Just as Ted backslid, so too did Barney. He and Robin divorced after only three years of marriage because Robin's career took off and she was constantly traveling. It stung, but it's not completely ridiculous to think that Robin and Barney couldn't make their relationship work. They were always doubting themselves and were far too much alike that I accept this development in their relationship. What I cannot accept is the fact Thomas and Bays spent an entire season at that damn wedding only to spit in its face. Even worse is the fact they erased every single bit of Barney's character development after their divorce by having him return to his womanizing ways. And when Lily questioned him on it, he basically said, "This is me, honey. Deal with it." 

Yes, it was Barney's womanizing that led to the true love of his life—his daughter Ellie, who was born as the result of a one-night stand with Number 31 in 2019—but that's not the Barney we saw last week. Or the week before. In fact, we haven't seen that Barney in YEARS. The scene with his newborn daughter was some of Neil Patrick Harris's finest work on the series—it's when Barney is allowed to be an actual human being and not a silly cartoon that Harris really shines—but it was marred by the fact Thomas and Bays couldn't think of a better way to achieve that outcome. Harris deserved better for bringing an emotional depth to a larger-than-life character like Barney. In less talented hands, Barney could have come off as a cheap and annoying one-trick pony instead of the slightly immature goofball you couldn't help but love. I'm actually angry on Harris's behalf, because he spent nine years of his life playing Barney's highs and lows, and in the end, the writers apparently couldn't think of a better way to end his storyline than to basically just erase everything about him that made him interesting.

The only characters who didn't get screwed over in the finale were Marshall and Lily—unless we're counting those Captain Ahab and the White Whale Halloween costumes, because those weren't doing anyone any favors—but that's not all that surprising given that they've been the most stable couple since the series began. But at the end of the day, it's a little sad because their characters still mostly just reacted to what was going on around them. As the years passed by, the only real developments we learned about their characters were that Lily got bangs, they had their third child in 2016, and Marshall went from being Judge Fudge to Fudge Supreme. But those were things we already knew about them from the various flash-forwards over the course of the series. Why didn't we learn anything new about them? Oh right, because the writers were too busy taking their magic erasers to the rest of the characters in an attempt to make the square series they created over nine years fit into the round hole they wrongfully thought should be the finale. 

For all of my anger at "Last Forever," I will admit that it wasn't 100 percent garbage. Every scene involving Cristin Milioti was heartwarming and perfect. I've seen several people on social media saying that those fans who were upset by the finale misunderstood the show's premise, and I'd argue those people are idiots. How I Met Your Mother was never really a series about the Mother. The show was always about Ted's life and the adventures he had in New York on the search to finding the Mother. I've been saying that for weeks. But I also don't think it's wrong to be be angry at the series for spending its final season letting us get to know her as Ted's soulmate, to give us that sweet moment on the train platform under the yellow umbrella, only to turn around and kill her off, and have Ted return to Robin. "Vesuvius" hinted that the Mother would die, so it's not like we had any right to be surprised when Ted mentioned she was sick. Was it sad? Incredibly. Did it make me feel cheated? Not at all. I accept Tracy's fate, because it's what happens in life. As the wise Buffy the Vampire Slayer once taught us, we can't stop the big moments, even if we see them coming. But we can choose how to react to them in the aftermath. And its those choices and the actions we take that allow us to find out who we are.

How I Met Your Mother attempted one last signature heartfelt moments as Ted discussed loving the Mother and appreciating the time he had with her, and if the series had ended there, I think this would have been a very different review. Instead, "Last Forever" was the real final slap and it STUNG. When Ted raised that blue french horn as Robin looked down at him with her dogs, How I Met Your Mother came full circle, but in a way it never should have. Ted and Robin evolved over the course of the series, and the storyline should have reflected that. The finale tarnished all of the episodes that preceded it in an attempt to discuss a very simple idea, which is that your life doesn't end simply because someone else's does.  You just keep on living knowing that what you had was special, even if it was brief. 

"Last Forever" brought up the idea of true love versus soul mates, and a bit about fate, but if I wanted to watch a series about how your soulmate might not be the love of your life, I'd have watched Dawson's Creek, a series which did it much better. I maintain that all of Ted's stories were important to the overall series, and that we shouldn't forget them or disregard them simply because they didn't turn out the way we thought they should, but there's a part of me that will never understand Thomas and Bays' reluctance to adapt the ending once the show and its characters deviated from their original path, especially since it's that unwillingness to change that most clearly goes against everything the series tried to say over the last nine years. 

NOTES

– Robin abandoning the group made sense in that she was always the most independent of the group, and her divorce from Barney made it difficult to hang out with the gang all the time, but she really shit on Lily by doing so. That's not just mean, that's selfish. She could have easily stayed in touch with Lily. It just makes me wonder why Ted would even bother with Robin after all those years. 

– The biggest crime of all was that we didn't get more of the gang as a whole.

– Ted and the Mother had the same initials. I still wish we'd never learned her name. I rather liked her as the Mother.

– Sasquatch vs. Yeti comment. I <3 Marshall forever.

– Barney as David Lee Roth. Yes.

– I imagine Barney's blog is basically Goop but with boner of the day jokes. OMG WHY DOESN'T GOOP HAVE BONER OF THE DAY JOKES?

– The cockamouse returned! The liberty bell reference! A "Have you met Ted?"

– "Just be cool, lady. Damn!" 

– "I've done a lot of cool stuff, Ted ..." 

– "Not that! It's never that!"

thekaitling:list:himym-what-did-you-think-of-the-series-finale-last-forever/
thekaitling:list:be-honest-did-you-cry/

1133 Comments
Comments (1,133)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
sorry for commenting so late. I loved this show and hated the finale. For the finale they should have just shown Barney realizing that the girl(Tracey) who was playing was a perfect match for ted and then asking him and all the others(lily marshall robin) to follow Tracey upto the Farhampton station where Barney opened with the line have you met Ted just like when he had did with Robin at the beginning of the series and thus end it completing the circle.( Showing the Marriage in some later scenes)
Flag
I waited so long to watch the last 5 episodes, because everyone was telling me how bad this amazing show ended. At the end I finally watched tonight and the last episode was just terrible, especially the last 5 minutes of it.

I love this show, it had his up and down, but it was absolutely a beautiful journey. Unfortunately the last episode menaged to destroyed years of characters development and it just doesn't make sense.

Flag

Ted told the story off how i met your mother to ask his kids if he can be with Robin so he needed to tell the story becouse they had to know their story.
i agree they screwed the finale we should see them at the bar old togheter.
And you cant just have a whole season about the marriage then divorce 5 min later it willed be ok if they married and divorced at season 5 then Ted and Robin gets back together
As a mega-fan of How I Met Your Mother (even during the show's low points), I'm obviously incredibly sad to know that this was the end of the road. It's hard to say goodbye to Ted, Robin, Barney, Lily, Marshall, and even the Mother; How I Met Your Mother premiered during my freshman year of college, and its characters more or less became a sort of extended family over the years. But the most difficult part of all this is that, as I watched "Last Forever," I knew I wasn't experiencing the real loss that should accompany the end of a beloved TV series. Instead of feeling sadness, I was angry to see it go out on what was ultimately a sour note. The series deserved a happy ending, and I really wanted it to have one. For some fans, it did. But for many others—including me—it didn't. And that's not because we're mad we didn't get the ending we would've written, but because How I Met Your Mother's ending was simply far too lopsided.

Carter Bays and Craig Thomas wanted to write a love story, a story with a real romantic at its center. Ted's optimism and his love of being in love was what made fans care about his journey. Bays and Thomas had a vision nine years ago about how that journey ended—and it was probably a good idea at the time—but along the way, they forgot that endings need to be supported by the rest of the story, and frankly, "Last Forever" didn't have the necessary support
I have never cryed so much in my entire life
R.I.P. How i met your mother 31 march 2014 🎬
More+
Flag
You nailed it.And yes, death and divorce do happen, but they don’t have to happen on a sitcom.Barney grew as a person and since we know what happens at his job, he was liable to enjoy travelling with Robin.Ted rightfully pointed out that he didn’t love Robin in that way, but also that she didn’t really love him.If she did---they would’ve gotten married.He finally found his soul mate.They could have let her live, but even if she died there was no reason to think he was going to Robin at that point, or that his kids would encourage him to do so.
Flag
This is an incredibly well written review. The author said everything I was thinking about the ending (I just finished watching it last night on Netflix). I found it a stunning disappointment. As Kaitlen Thomas pointed out, the characters had simply come too far for that simplistic and unrealistic ending. Robin never loved Ted in the way he wanted her too and he simply moved on. The only thing I'd add to the review (and one of the other commenters pointed this out) is that the chemistry between Ted (Josh Radner) and (Tracy) Cristin Milioti was electric. Once he'd been with her you couldn't imagine why he would go back to Robin. The characters and the storyline had moved on. Ted and the mother were perfect together. Just like in real life, everyone should have moved on. I've been watching television for decades and HIMYM was one of the most creative and original shows (for many seasons - but not all) that I'd ever seen. The actors and many of the scripts were outstanding. But that ending? What a letdown.
Flag
Ugh. I JUST finished the series a few minutes ago, and made it my goal to watch the whole series on Netflix, and I've had an odd experience. I am 20 years old and currently in college and I had a meeting at 1:00 (Don't worry, it makes sense later). This morning I was watching the last three episodes, and I was already falling in love with The Mother, she's so wonderful! I am such a romantic and am always searching and hoping for my someone, so I totally liken myself to Ted's character. The allusion to Tracy/The Mother's death in Vesuvius KILLED ME. And seeing everyone growing up, fading away from each other really stuck with me. It made me think of what being an adult will be like and how my friends will change, and it scared me but most importantly gave me a glimpse into adulthood. Ive been fighting with growing up for a long time, and this show helped me. I was upset to see Robin and Barney get Divorced, but wasn't necessarily mad at the writers; people don't work sometimes, even if they love each other. I wasn't even really pissed that Barney got back to his old ways, it even had a tragic element to it. He refuses to grow up when everyone else around him has, and it's pathetic almost. His shining moment is indeed when he sees his daughter and dedicates himself to her, and that was a great acting job for Neil and just a great moment for Barney's character. Robin made him realize he could be someone other than a womanizer, and his daughter truly struck home with him. Now that I know his divorce was just to set Robin and Ted up does indeed make me mad. So many things could have changed. Robin and Barney still stayed together because they faced so much adversity before, and the moment Barney has his daughter (in this case with Robin), the moment still could have been effective. It's one thing to fall in love with someone and be changed for the better like Barney did, but it is another to have created life with that person, and I think that could have worked. OR as some other people said, everything could have still happened the way it was portrayed and calling his child the Love of His Life would motivate him to get back with Robin. I have no qualms with Marshall and Lily, they are like a constant in a world of change, and even though much of their future is shown to us throughout the show, that's ok because we know that even if there are things that MANY of us are unhappy about, I know that Marshall and Lily are always ok.
OK, now back to 1:00. This morning I was watching the last episode, feeling all the things I've previously stated. Barney's a tragic figure, it's beautiful what he says to his daughter. I LOVE the Mother and am so sad she's going to die, I'm having a 20 year old crisis about growing up, etc. I had to stop when Ted and the Gang are at Maclaren's, waiting for Tracy to show up so that Ted and her can get married. For the 30 minutes I was away from my computer, I was in a weird state. I just kept thinking about my life, and what to look forward to, and whether being a romantic like Ted is worth it, because in the end you're going to have a job you may or may not like, your freedom of youth will be gone, and your friends, no matter how hard you want them to stay close, will have their own lives and families and will fade away. When Ted says that Love is what really matters, I envied him. I hope I will find someone who I can love with all my heart and that all the other sad changes of growing up won't matter. I hope that when I meet that someone, I will totally be fulfilled, and not worry about the future and its uncertainty, because I will be with the person I love.
All these great intellectual thoughts were happening, and then when I finished the finale, that kind of left me. I HATED THE FINALE. Sure it's nice Robin and Ted are back together, but what about the MOTHER? There was all this great sentiment leading up to the finale, seeing the characters mature from when the show started, and then when Ted was finished, it was all gone. His kids were goofy and so was Ted. Once Ted was finished it was like the Mother didn't matter, even though Ted took THE WHOLE SHOW to tell his kids about her. There wasn't any last moments to talk to her, like Tracy did with Max. Six years is a long time, but is it long enough to just call Robin up? I am in 100% agreement with the writer of this article, and I wish the writers weren't so dependent on the ending they came up with in the beginning. It ruined the whole point of knowing the mother. Also, I liked that they had placed her in most of the episodes in season 9, but they didn't show enough of the group with her, or how everyone else thought of her, even though throughout the show she helped each of the characters separately. She was a wonderful person, and if she did indeed have to die, I expected Ted to have been more affected by her and her death, instead of after 6 years tell his two kids this beautiful adventure of finding his soul mate. Even his kids challenging him on that, saying its just to get with Robin, and then Ted AGREEING with them, really sucked. It made it as if the Mother wasn't significant, even though right before the last moment Ted narrates how much he loved the mother. Ted should have said something to the kids or said something to himself or up to Heaven and have a little chat with her before that. Or it should be like the alternate ending and brought the kids in at the end, because having a story about meeting your soulmate, and growing up as a person and being blessed with the lives of your friends and loved ones is still a meaningful presence of a show. OR The Mother just didn't have to die at al, and like the last commenter said, she could have just popped in at the end and said something to Ted and the kids. Overall an AMAZING show, and I've learned so much from all the characters, and it brings me joy to see how the actors were affected by each other in the interviews I've watched. I LOVE the mother, and hope I will find someone like her someday, because I know I'll be ready for the future if my soul mate is by my side. But like so many people before me, I am really disappointed with the ending, and there were so many other better ways to end it. Like the writer of the article said, the show totally transformed throughout its existence, and it was a shame that the writers didn't accept that transformation and simply made a finale that truly reflected how love and loss and friendship changed the lives of Ted and his friends throughout the show. Sorry this comment is so long, all the ideas are fresh in my mind and wanted to just vent. Thanks for this article it was great and made me feel better knowing that so many other people felt the same away.
More+
Flag
I actually thought that when Barney got the baby he and Robin would get back together and live happily ever after. Then Ted would finnish his story and the mom would come in and say something i dont know, what you guys doing or something. This was not the ending i was rooting for, Robin shouldnt be with Ted she should be with Barney. Also why dont we see the mother of Barneys baby, thats pretty weird. But kinda terrible ending.
Flag
thats the Point: Robin was over Ted, she and Barney broke up - so after she sees him having sex with every girl again shouldnt she be sad about that? But no she Looks at Ted and says: I should have picked him?
And then when she is older and doesnt travel that much anymore - shouldnt she go and meet Barney? No she goes to Ted - makes no sense
Flag
It didn't work out between Robin and Ted cuz Robin didn't want to settle, and it didn't work out between Robin and Barney cuz Robin didn't want to settle. Agreed, the producers didn't do a good job on Barney's character. "a series that was, for all intents and purposes, about growing up, changing, and realizing that what we once thought was important isn't always going to be the case". That's not right. I don't think HIMYM is relaying any ONE message. I take it as a story of friends, and their lives together. There are so many episodes which inspired me. It's such a dilemma, I am gonna take a walk.
Flag
It was a big big bummer! They wasted the entire season on ridiculous stuff the gang did on the day before the wedding and when we go back we realise not one episode was worth watching in that season. So i had already lowered my expectations from the finale but it turned out to be worse than that! Barney was the reason i always watched this show and his chemistry with Robin was perfect.

Ted and Robin are so boring and so sloppy.... damn i thought they were done somewhere in the 7th season. The reason apparently for Barney's and Robin's breakup was Robin's career which she clearly loves more than her husband, whoever it was. So how would Ted make a difference?? Whenever they were alone in a scene they'd always put me to sleep and seeing them ending up together is like I've wasted my time watching this show for 9 years!

I'm more hurt the way they treated Neil Patrick Harris' character. That man has made us laugh through all of his silliness and his preposterous yet lovable humour all throughout 9 seasons and they just couldn't give him a happy ending. What are you writing a Shakespeare???? Its a sitcom for god's sake! The writers probably expect us to take comfort from the fact that they at least didn't kill Barney off like they did the mother!
More+
Flag
ted and robin has zero chemistry. robin is better of with barney. but ted and the mother... now that's what i call chemistry
Flag
Well apparently I can't finish this comment without an ad re-directing me away twice...
I HATED the finale so much it ruined the entire show for me. I will never enjoy it again knowing they didn't take these characters seriously. Spend two seasons, two years, building up Barney & Robin and destroy it all in 10 minutes? Kill the mother? This finale was like a big joke, a big prank that never jumped up and admitted it. I hated every single minute of this finale and the only thing that kept me from turning it off was hoping they would say "just kidding! Here's what REALLY happened..."
Flag
Hated the ending. The best thing about this show was the surprise relationship and awesome chemistry between Robin and Barney and then, when Ted and the mother got together their chemistry was breathtaking. I have never liked the pairing of Ted and Robin and hated every time they rehashed their boring storyline. I get that things like divorce and death happen but they don't need to happen on a silly romantic sitcom. If I want realistic stories then I can look at my own life. The whole reason I watched this show was to escape into a lighthearted romantic story. I didn't laugh once during the whole finale - it was depressing and it seemed to erase every fun and meaningful area of growth for the characters.
Flag
I've watched the ending twice now, and I've come to accept most of it. One of my biggest problems is Ted and Robin. The ending isn't bad, I wasn't tired of Ted and Robin until season 8, where they dragged it all out one last time. If they would have omitted that last annoying storyline, I think more viewers would be alright with Ted and Robin. The finale is lacking in storyline, but true to the characters, even if they did knock down years of character development. The base of the story could be seen as true love versus soulmates. Lily and Marshall are both true loves and soulmates, while the other characters are searching for both. Barneys soul mate was Robin. They were both independent and career driven, overall very much alike- and season 9 urged to show that, so to show that Robin was capable of committing to someone as her character was evolving. Barneys love would be his daughter. Teds soulmate was the mother, she was everything he was searching for and gave him everything he truely wanted. Tracy's love was max. Finally, Robin was Teds true love. The show accomplished in pairing them all off according to character. There was just a few storylines I wish were given more air time. The Pineapple incident would have been great. Also, the buildup of the mother, only to never say her cause of being written off. No matter what is said, I'll believe it was a fatal hiccup disease.
More+
Flag
Dr. Magbu is really the best i have ever seen since my husband left me and my kids i have been trying different online spell caster and i did not see any result until a friend of mine gave me his contact Email address that i should contact him that he will be able to help me. The first time he told me what i have to do i thought he was the same as the other so called spell caster but i just have to give it a try which i did and after he did the casting of the spell i started seeing changes my husband send gift to my kids and also wrote a letter that he was going to come back home very soon i was so surprise and now we are back together again thank you My husband came back home after 4days with so much love and care. Here is his contact reunitingexspell@gmail.com . if you wish to seek help from him.

Ann Taurus
Flag
what the fuck just happened?i am sure that the writers were on the toilet seat when they wrote this shit.i can't believe i wasted my time watching 9 seasons.i wish the walkers in the walking dead bite me rather than watching this series.please be serious.
Flag
I hated the ending. I hate that based on the story B&T told (up until the end, a few clumsily placed clues aside) should have led to Ted and Tracy living a happy ending. I hated the fact that Ted got back with Robin (with the Blue french horn no less) after having seemingly realised she was not the woman for him and moved on, that Barney went back to his philandering ways (until he meets his daughter having knocked up #31 WTF??) and that to achieve this the writers saw fit to trample over 4 or 5 seasons of character development to fulfill an ending they filmed years ago for a show that barely resembles the HIMYM of 2014. If they were hell bent on having this ending B&T would have been better advised to use much of what was a turgid inconsequential season 9 to show us how it all unfolded. A quick 10 minute run through after 22 episodes of wedding buildup just didn't cut it
Flag
Exactly!
Flag
People were predicting that the mother was no longer alive forever. I thought a different twist was possible, and it may sound even worse: Ted letting his children know how he met their mother because it was he who was dying. I only thought about this because when my dad was on his death bed a few years ago, he started telling stories about meeting my mom, etc. I think it would have made sense for Ted to sit down his children and tell them his stories, etc. The mother being dead years earlier was obviously another logical conclusion. For those who hate that we didn't see more (ie, funeral of mother), remember: this is a dad telling his children the story...many parts they already knew. He doesn't have to talk about the funeral, because they were there.
The only part I question is ending up with Robin at the end...had a bit of a cliche type of feel, but it did fit with the theme of Ted obsessing over a Robin in his long drawn out story.
Flag
The writers must have written the finale after 2 AM
Flag
I think the review has missed one major point. And that is who this finale was aimed at.

The writers had a difficult choice.

One thing first of all....... to all those who went crazy when folk like me suggested Robin was originally intended to be the mother, you probably weren't there at the very beginning (rather than re-runs).

The show's success was a surprise, it was a 1 or 2 season idea that went from cult to mainstream. And I imagine most who were following the 'who is the mother' in those days assumed it was Robin. Because it had to be someone we knew in the show. Clues that led to an unknown person actually make no sense.

Then success came and the story changed. The clues became irrelevant, and the fun of who is the mother lost. Especially when the writers changed course and told us Robin was not the mother.

Based on season 2 and 3 comments at the time, a lot of the original fans seem to be done with it. It had just become a mainstream comedy.

So now..... back to the writers choice.

Who did they want to acknowledge most? The original fans who enabled the show to go from a 1 or 2 season cult show to megabucks success. Or the audience that came later?

So I would like to say thank you to the writers for the acknowledgement and understanding at the end.

It was a finale for the original fans, probably the minority now - probably those that did not care much for the middle seasons - and that was brave.
More+
Flag
Okay first off, in what world could Robin, after episode 1, ever have been the mother. If you ever believed her to be the mother it makes me question your ability to understand the name if the show.
If Robin had been the mother, the show would have ended after the first episode, as he would have met the mother. If the show was called "how I fell in love with your mother" then maybe she could have been the mother. How you believed it was an existing character baffles me. You cannot meet someone who you already know. Please think next time.

oh and stop trying to be hipster by claiming to have been there since the beginning. I started watching when it first aired and I never once thought it was Robin because I understand the English language.
Flag
If you were "there at the very beginning" wouldn't you have seen the first episode where he says, "And that's how I met your aunt Robin?" Literally the first episode.
Flag
Yes, sure. But I think in TV there are ways back from everything. But I should have said 'wife or mother'. And I'm to early theories.

My general point is that the 'outrage' at the finale from some I think suggests they don't remember (or weren't around) when it first aired, before any later influences.

There were clues. No reference to the mother in the present, the fact that while telling the story of the mother he was talking a lot about Robin (and probably a lot of other things I don't remember).

So it was a finale of season 1 more than of the 9 seasons. I get why some won't like that. I just wanted to say that there are a lot of people who will be happy that the writers remembered where it was at the beginning.

Flag
So ... writers gave us entire season dedicated to Barney and Robin's wedding ... and broke them up for silly reason in last episode ... ok, yet that I can digest.
But these things I can't:
1) Mother's dies. Ok, but viewers need some time to proceed it. But we get no time for it, no tearing last conversation in hospital, no funeral and the viewer has to getting sad while he sees episode with children. But
2) they are fucking happy and enthusiastic and it's collapses with viewer's sadness. That was really disappointing.
3) Ted end up with Robin ? Srsly ? Within 8 seasons we were comprehending that she's totaly not "the one" but complete opposite.
P.S. Dexter's finale was good :P
Flag
I loved the part with Barney and his daughter. Even before he said the actual words, I thought "That's the love of his life". His acting was amazing.
However... As an avid fan I feel completely cheated and (as the article mentioned) insulted by the way the show ended, Barney and Robin's romance and character development was at least 80+ % of why I stuck with the show sometimes, I always thought they were so perfect for each other... and to end with Oh the couple we have been setting up for the lat 3+ seasons got divorced... The "mother" has been dead the whole time... and "Yeah dad! go F Aunt Robin!" was completely horrible, cheap and shallow. I would have probably bought the series on dvd and re-watched for years but unlikely now. And I have informed a number of people that haven't watched it yet to avoid the final episode at all costs.
Shallow.
Insulting to the viewer and the characters.

And to the arguments that he was just getting through the pain of losing the mother and moving on...
1. They spent a significant amount of time developing Robin and Ted into characters that do not fit each other romantically (what? are he and his teenage children just going to start travelling to Argentina and Tokyo with her now? I think not)
2. It completely cheapens the actual relationship with the mother in a "he should have been with Robin all along" kind of way. Now the mother was just an interim temporary thing between his times with Robin.
More+
Flag
The finale made me cry, but first I hated it. Then re-watched, gave it a deep thought and got to love it. Here is why: http://proutlook.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-how-i-met-your-mother-series-finale/
Flag
I cried like a little girl but ONLY at the scene with Barney and his daughter. For me that was the special moment in the episode. To see an immature womanizer so afraid of commitment, responsibility and a positive pregnancy test-to see him so in love and happy was just magical. NPH did an amazing job in that scene and I think it will be my fave from the entire series. As for the whole Ted ending up with Robin in the end thing-yeah, that was not so great. I would have preferred him not to but they could have made it work if they had shown Robin being there more AFTER the mother died. I see that as a logical thing to have happen. Your spouse dies, your old flame returns and you find comfort in their company. This ending just wasn't that fleshed out sadly.

Flag
well took me 2 days to process the ending. still HATE it. atleast now we know y the writers wouldn't give up on the ted robin scenes till the very end.(even when they were a stretch)
Flag
could not agree with you more... great review
Flag
7 out of 10 I say firstly due to Cristin Milioti dying . they should of let them live happily ever after as this was a comedy, its suppose to invoke happiness not sorrow . plus why couldn't robin of had a miracle baby girl that would of change barney and save there marriage . think that would of been more satisfying, could of ended with the kids all having there first drinks at maclaren's and so another cycle begins ..
Flag
I absolutely agree with this article. Knowing they shot the scene with the kids in 2006 explains a lot. I loved Barney's evolution these past years and his relationship with Robin.
Flag
I don(t know you but I think I know what will be on the top of the "WTF" this week... Even if it will be on top of my "FTW" list :)
Flag
You are the one who can't accept things being other than what you expected them to be. If you feel angry towards something or someone, ask yourself what the reason is. It's usually in ourselves, and the things that anger us are usually when we see our own traits in someone/something else. Peace
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Thank you. You're right. I disliked the finale because of something inside myself.
Flag
LOL :o)
Flag
Lets be clear here... Anyone who hates the ending is being selfish because they want some fairy tale ending... LIFE is not like that... I am sure that some people who watched the show had just as deep losses and understanding as the Characters of Ted,Tracy & Barney... In the end Ted and company found something that made them happy... Tracy got to enjoy Ted and not be in mourning of HER FIRST TRUE LOVE... Ted was able to move on and be happy again with a very deserving friend AND FIRST TRUE LOVE... Robin has aged and matured and was already involved with Ted and his children's lives. Barney got to see how amazing it "Actually" was to hold flesh and bone of his own blood and seed. He found a "girl" that he could love for the first time... His baby girl... He evolved and grew up... He conquered his own father issues and BECAME one... Marshall and Lilly were always ahead of the curve and matured much faster. They ended up in their beloved NYC NOT ROME. They still spend time and meet with friends and family. All things said... It was REAL and felt REAL.... Not fantasy. I appreciate that. It was sad at times but the characters prevailed and found happiness in the end. Good for them. You guys that hate the ending have to understand that it's meant to inspire and give hope to even the worst of circumstances... Even at the end... Things always have hope and continue onward... No show has done that to this extent. YEARS later we have to appreciate that as people who shared this journey with the characters... Nobody likes tragedy and divorce... BUT it happens and you have to move on and get back out there to find your peace again. What a great message to give us as viewers. The show was about people being friends and always searching for happiness. Not one character failed at that... Bravo HIMYM... BRAVO!
More+
Flag
If Ted and Robin died alone, that would have been "reality".
If Barney ended up distancing himself from his daughter, that would have been "reality".
To have two ex lovers come together again, even though the world was pushing them apart, and to have an emotionally distant womaniser become a considerate father all of a sudden, is what id categorise as a "fairy tale".
Id reconsider your definitions.
Flag
To be honest I think the concept of ending up with your "first love" is the actual unrealistic "fairy tail" idea. Did all of Ted and Robin's previous issues suddenly disappear? Are his kids going to go to high school in Argentina now? I call BS. If they felt it necessary to kill off the mother in the last minute so be it (poor choice for a comedy in my opinion), but it's life, bad s*** happens. However, having him end up with Robin? His "first love"? I find it childish and naive of the reality of life.
Flag
no its not because we want a happy fairy tale ending. How it happened was the Problem. I think its good that the Mother died ( ok I mean its totally ok not good ;) ) but not in 2 sec. and thats it
Flag
If i want reality i don't sit in front of television to see a series
Flag
I think it is not WHAT happened, just HOW it happened. These last 3 episodes should have been a whole season for themselves.
Taking an eternity for stupid stuff wedding, and then breaking a decade down in 5 minutes... just bad and why? So for me this ending was hororable!
Flag
I don't know what to feel about this.
The scenes with Ted and the Mother were lovely and I'm not so upset with her dying because it does happen even if it is sad. And I thought it was nice to show that you can move on and that life goes on.
But I didn't like he ended up with Robin. It felt...wrong. I would have believed it a few seasons ago but now? And with all this built up to Robin's and Barney's wedding? And then that was over after three years. I did not hate that because it is believable but...I don't know. I guess I wanted a "Happy Ever After" for everyone.
But life is not like that and I felt like the show wanted to show this. They had fun in their young years, were together a lot but it doesn't stay that way. Friends do drift apart. I think I liked that as a "last lesson" of HIMYM but I'm too unhappy with all the things I said above so well...I don't know. :/
Flag
Realism, loyalty, predetermined ending all are fine but we loved the mother. Since we set our eyes on her and even before, we loved her. And the last season made us love her even more. And the 200th episode made her as endearing to us as the original cast. And then to let her go? I guess the anger, hatred, annoyance etc are actually sadness. You have made us feel as if we have lost someone whom we love. I don't think there would have been these many criticisms if it were anybody else who died.
Anyway, its over now and we are still sad.
Flag
Do you know whats the worst?
Robin and Barney broke up because she worked to much and travelled a lot - they loved each other but didnt have enough time for each other.
So why would she go to Ted ? Ted wont like the travelling either! And if she is finished with her Job shouldnt she go back to Barney???
That makes no sense at all!
Flag
In the end again, I never saw it coming. I wish I did.
You know, during the last few seasons everytime the show pointed out that after all Ted was still in love and hoping for Robin (like in the whole "no pressure" storyline) I felt upset and could not avoid thinking "not that again! move on already!" but then I kind of always made sense of it thinking that it was the show's way of showing us why the mother was the one. The one and only girl whom Ted would choose even over Robin.
But now I see it all in a different light. Now all those times we were reminded that Ted was not ever really over Robin seem more like the show hinting to how it was going to end. I have written it already, besides all inconsistencies (like ted telling robin that he did not love her like that anymore, while referring exactly to the blue horn situation!!) and besides the fact that if they wanted to show us that Robin was right for him all along, they had better actually showing them together and not just implying it in the last 3 minutes, this is not the show I thought I was watching. My fault maybe, still it sucks.
It sucks for Barney, who could have had that beautiful babygirl in a much nicer, warmer contest and who in the end stayed single.
it sucks for the Mother, who died young after losing her boyfriend even younger.
it sucks also for Robin, who apparently blew her chance of happiness and lost Ted for so many years.
And it sucks for Ted, because he lost the one girl who clearly loved him way more than any other before, and still could never ever really get over the other girl who broke his heart so many times.
(It kind of reminds me of love in the times of cholera... I hated that too!)
Now ok, we can argue that that's life, it happens, sure. It still sucks. Realism is one thing, screwing up the lives of 60% of the characters is beyond that.
I am not even gonna start discussing character development or how they tried so hard to conveince us robin and barney could work.. you all have said it much better already. So I am just going to stay sad.
More+
Flag
me too will stay sad with you
Flag
After all the time they spent getting together, Robin and Barney should have at least lasted long enough to qualify for the 'the 7 year itch'. If only to give Barney a chance to live up to the cliché. Divorce happens, I understand that. Robin and Barney worked WAY to hard to only last 3 years.
Flag
even the poll is a big FU. lol

Flag
A Fan Edited The Finale Of "How I Met Your Mother" And Made It So Much Better
Flag
Actually The Mother has the same initials as Ted Mosby and Tracy McConnell (TM TM and TM)
Flag
you don't say
Flag
I want the 208 hours that HIMYM stole from my life back
Flag
I want to know where you got all those episodes that the rest of us didn't see, since there weren't 416 episodes released HERE.
Flag
416??
Where did YOU get that number??
208x2?
Flag
Oh sorry, you are right, i counted each episode as an hour, my mistake :(
The correct count would be the 104 hours as in 208 half hour episode
Again i apologize for not realizing it earlier
Flag
You do realize that you didn't need to keep watching, right? If it's just the finale you didn't like, but liked everything else, you only should be requesting an hour. Saying you want 208 hours back means that you watched a show for 208 hours that you just didn't like.

And that makes you stupid.
Flag
Well, i did enjoy them but that only makes me feel more cheated, it's like one of the movies where the whole thing is a dream, or the imagination of some child,
Even(No Not even, Especially) if you liked the movie(or tv show) minus the last part, that last part will destroy what you saw and make you feel cheated, at the very least that is what I felt at the end of HIMYM,
You don't have to agree with me, but i think you have to be a bit more polite next time maybe(but i really don't care that much, be as rude as you want to be, it's a free comments section, is it not?)
Flag
Some things I believe about these characters after following along for 9 seasons:

1) Ted's marriage to Tracy was only going to end in death. Ted was never a man who'd get divorced... look at how his parents' divorce affected him

2) Barney would have stayed with Robin if she'd asked. (But he wouldn't have been happy in it, and their marriage would have been like Ted's parents became). It wasn't a bad marriage. It was a good marriage that lasted three years.

3) Saying "Ted ended up with Robin" is optimistic. The show ended with Ted standing outside. It could just as easily run 3 more minutes, with Ted standing in Victoria's door after Robin said "Ted, didn't we have this discussion already?"
Flag
So you are saying that ted and robin didnt end up together...so the finale was a wrong and bad according to you
Flag
Um, no. Why don't you scroll down and find a few more of my comments?
Flag
The thing i don't get is how come Robin left the group yet i remember an episode with flash forwards of Lilly and Robin over the years where Robin tells each time a little more about what happend when Lilly left her with Marvin...
Flag
Ted's tellig the story, and he only knows about stuff that happened while he was there or that someone told him about.

Also, Ted's not a 100% reliable narrator.
Flag
What if number 31 is the star of How I Met Your Dad ?
Flag
Thats it

Flag
Bravo!!! Nicely done. I had to watch it twice just to get the real ending out of my head. Thanks.
Flag
Thank the one who edited it. I just found it and it's the perfect ending!
Flag
Disappointment is an understatement.
Flag

So, i have a lot of mixed feeling with this series finale. First of all, It was kind of realistic, you know, realistic in the way HIMYM can be. Maybe it was because it was too realistic that i couldn't take that bad feeling inside of me after watching it.

We all want to know how our favorite character did after the show ended but I, personally, didn't need to go that far. I didn't need to know that the mother dies, that Barney has a kid (i liked that part though) that Robin distance herself from the group or that her and Ted end up together. Because during this whole last season we or I have been waiting to see how Ted meets the mother, that beautiful moment that i was hoping it was going to be perfect for a perfect show ending and it was! But then reality striked and they started to show us how things really were going to end and it was too much for me. Barney and Robin's marriage only lasted 3 years? i liked them together and we spent this last season waiting for their wedding day and then we found out that it actually didn't work out for them? Realistic but damn hurtful.

Ted and Tracy (Oh it's so good to know her name) were a highlight in this season for me. I absolutely adore them together, they were so cute!! And reality striked again when she got sick and all i wanted to do was cry because i was hoping a "they lived for ever" or something.

Barney having a kid was a good move for me i cried during that scene in the hospital with Barney and the baby. And finishing the show how it started (Robin and Ted) might have been good if they haven't made me fall in love with Ted and the mother's relationship. I didn't like the fact that he went after Robin at the end and that's all.

It was sad and maybe i didn't like it much but it was good in general.
More+
Flag
I'LL MISS YOU,GUYS
the ending couldn't be more perfect.even the actors also said that.and i love it
Flag
Well, they are paid to say it. I'm pretty sure Radnor was against it. In all his recent interviews and appearances he had been forlorn.
Flag
I believe it would have been much acceptable if the title on the black screen came as Ted said "And that's the story of how I met your mother" and then we would see the kids and the Robin stuff as an epilogue.
I also believe one of the reasons people are so annoyed with the 'epilogue' is that it ends with the title how i met your MOTHER, well that was not the story that was what happened afterwards. (And I'm perfectly happy with that btw.)
Flag
That would have been a good way to handle it.
Flag
http://theweek.com/article/index/259113/why-how-i-met-your-mother-chose-the-right-ending?utm_source=links&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=facebook
Flag
Thank you for the link. I agree 100%. I loved the finale.
Flag
I actually just finished watching the finale for the 3rd time and am learning to love it more every time! I think it ends perfectly! I hate those people saying "the ending completely contradicts the title!!". It actually doesn't... the whole point of the story Ted tells his kids is how he met their mother, and basically the whole season-long wedding put the events in place that led to their meeting, so the wedding was very significant in that way. Without the wedding, Ted wouldn't have met Tracy and had the 2 kids with her. So, the whole show leads up to this and they have a happy life together for 11 years. The whole ending with Ted and Robin is sort of an epilogue where Ted finds happiness after the journey to the mother and his life with her. Also, Barney & Robin's divorce (while maybe disappointing) is very realistic and doesn't negate the whole season because it led Ted to the mother. I loved that the finale was true to life, that groups of friends don't always stay together and see each other all the time, and that life is very unpredictable. In the finale, we saw each character find happiness, Lily and Marshall with their 3 kids, Barney with the love of his life(his daughter) and Ted and Robin together. In my opinion, it ends perfectly.
More+
Flag
The whole title discussion absurd. One of the things that made the show unique is that it was told from a sometimes unreliable narrator's perspective. Ted told his kids a story and called it like that. It has been pretty obvious for a long time that the title was not what it was all about. The funny thing is how people wanted it to be about it anyway. I think the show overall would have been much worse in retrospecive if it was all about the mother, cause many of the stories told (seasons worth of stories actually) were in fact about Robin and not the mother, even if people desperately tried to link them to her. The whole story just makes sense now and that doesn't make Teds love to the mother any less "true". They couldn't have done it better IMO.
Flag
So Teds relationship with the mother was just meaningless&he told all this story to get permission from his kids to date Robin?? shoot me
Flag
"Meaningless" in the sense that he loved her deeply from the time he met her until the end of her life? That kind of meaningless?
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members