A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

How I Met Your Mother S09E17: "Sunrise"

The romantic adventures of Ted Mosby have been a bit frustrating for several years now, even if they are the reason we're all still here. But even knowing that How I Met Your Mother would eventually need to wrap up Ted's lingering feelings for Robin so he could move on and fall in love with the Mother didn't make the tough, bitter, eye-roll-inducing episode that was "Sunrise" any easier to swallow. I understand why the show's writers thought they needed to hammer home how deep Ted's love is for Robin, to the point of near exhaustion (so we'll be able to see that his love for the Mother is even deeper), but enough is enough already. Understanding why something's happening doesn't necessarily mean it's working, or that we should agree with it.

If this episode had aired a year or two ago, I think I would've reacted much differently. As it stands, in the backstretch of Season 9 and just hours before Robin and Barney's wedding, it made me want to punch some puppies. The nighttime beach stroll was too ridiculous for my liking, especially because the reason the two of them were out there was that Barney had disappeared. And knowing that the series had to address Ted's feelings so the story could move forward made watching the whole ordeal even worse. But hey, at least it's over, which means we can finally look forward to the wedding and Ted's impending meeting of the Mother. Plus, Robin now knows that Ted is planning to move to Chicago once the festivities are over. 

On one hand, this is a good thing, because Robin deserved to know the truth. Even if she isn't in love with Ted, they're still very close friends. But on the other hand, I can't stop thinking about how I would feel if a close friend told me they were moving to a different city because of me. (And no, Ted didn't say those exact words, but that's exactly what's happening.) Would I be sad? Would I be angry? Would I be able to just let it happen? Ted is running scared because Robin is marrying Barney and he thinks it's a chance to start over in a new city, and while his departure for Chicago certainly isn't the worst possible thing that could happen, I do think it's cheapened things somehow. I feel like it's an obvious way to make us feel bad for Ted, when I don't really want to. Especially because, according to my calculations, now that Robin knows, the only person who's still in the dark is the one Ted who probably should've told first: Marshall. 

But Marshall was fighting his own battle with the past in his own storyline this week. After Lily stormed out—we still don't know where she went, but she returned early in the morning—Marshall had some serious conversations with Ghost Lily, 2006 Ghost Lily, and the ghost of his late father. I really respect what How I Met Your Mother was trying to do in showing us that Marshall and Lily aren't necessarily the world's most perfect couple, and that if Marshall continues to make decisions without consulting her, or if he keeps referring to their relationship as a series of wins and losses, he'll eventually ruin his marriage. But—and this is a big but—I wish this had been a real conversation between Marshall and Lily, and not one that Marshall only imagined in his head. Because now their fight is over and neither one of them has really talked about it. 2006 Ghost Lily didn't really add anything to the episode, and even though it was great to see Marvin return for a quick cameo, I'm a little suspicious that the writers almost swept the fight under the rug because they didn't know how else to deal with it. At the very least, I hope we'll find out where Lily went after she left the inn, and what made her change her mind about their move to Italy.

And speaking of not knowing how to deal with things, I'm a bit unsure of how to deal with Barney's last night out as a single man. I really liked the idea of Barney passing along everything he considers to be "wisdom" to two young men, the same way he used to impart that wisdom to Ted so many years ago. I even liked that he passed along the Playbook, which was written on napkins. But I actually thought we'd already said goodbye to this Barney, so I guess I just don't know that we needed to revisit him. Although it IS completely believable that a man like Barney would feel the need to do such things, and I really can't fault him for wanting to tell people to play laser tag. 

Ultimately, while I agree with everything that happened in "Sunrise" on a basic level—all of these storylines needed to happen before the series ended—the execution of nearly every single one of them felt lacking. Ted needed to deal with Robin, but the scene with Floating Robin was so ridiculous that I laughed instead of feeling any emotional attachment to him finally letting her go. I'd also completely forgotten about the locket, but I did enjoy seeing so many familiar faces return. Marshall's B-story was lacking simply because we knew he wasn't actually having an adult discussion with his wife, but that's what made it possible for Marvin to drop by. And Barney, well, I'm just glad he's putting all of that stuff behind him. I hope that with these roadblocks finally out of the way, How I Met Your Mother will be able to continue without any further bumps in the road. Because with only two more months' worth of new episodes, the series can't really afford any more missteps.

NOTES

– Ted's Best Girlfriends: 5) Stella, 4) Zoe, 3) the Slutty Pumpkin, 2) Marshall when he and Ted pretended to be a couple, and 1) Victoria. (It's very telling that Robin didn't include herself in this list.)

– Ted's Worst Girlfriends: 5) Blah Blah, 4) Boats Boats Boats, 3) Karen, 2) Zoe, and 1) Jeanette.

– Seriously, though: Floating Robin? We all got the analogy, but the actual scene was soooo bad.

– This episode was full of familiar faces. Who was your favorite? I'm going with Marshall's dad. 

– Where do you think Lily went? And why do you think she came back ready to put the fight behind her?

thekaitling:list:himym-what-did-you-think-of-sunrise/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

183 Comments
Comments (183)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I liked this episode. I think floating Robin wasn't silly at all! It was a great poetic way of showing that Ted was letting her go :)
Flag
Robin's list kinda sucks in my opinion. First of all she should be on at least one of them. Doesn't want to put herself in the Top 5 okay there's an argument to be had there but then she would be in the Worst 5. Blah-blah and Victoria had Robin issues and I don't think they are the only ones.
Great girls that I would've considered on the top 5 OVER Zoey (she was trying to kill Ted's dream), Slutty Pumpkin (they had NO chemistry) and Stella (although I did love Stella SOO MUCH!) - Janet McIntyre (History vs Mystery), Jen (Double Date), Mary the Paralegal, Trudy (Pineapple Incident and was in the maybe 3 way), Royce (Wedding Bride), Stacey Gusar (Little Boys). Would all of them be in the top 5? No of course not. Victoria has earned her place rightfully and the throw back to Marshal and Ted being a "gay couple" deserves it's place (maybe not at the number 2 slot).

Horrible girls that should've been considered for the Worst 5 OVER Blah Blah and Becky (Boats, Boats, Boats) - Natalie (Return of the Shirt - She kicked Ted's ass), Cathy (Spoiler Alert - the gang hated her I can't believe Robin didn't mention her), Barney's half sister that thought Ted was old enough to fight in Vietnam, Strawberry (MEAT IS MURDER!), and Robin. If she isn't on the top 5 then maybe she should be on the worst 5. Ted messed things up with Victoria TWICE for her, he gave up his internet soul mate remember she loved Otis Redding and wanted to have 2 kids and played tennis, and Robin is the one that gave him the info that made him freak out with Janet McIntyre who just wanted someone to cuddle with and watch Annie Hall. Not all of that can be put on Robin Ted makes his own choices but she certainly has had a huge impact on his love life and not just in their 1 year relationship.

Overall I didn't love the episode. The floating Robin thing was weird ( I laughed too). I think it would've made more sense for anyone ELSE to do the top 5, worst 5. I could see Lily doing it and it even works if Marshall or Barney did it. The Marshall and Lily sub-plot felt odd and then super rushed (they are trying to get everything tied up for the ceremony but come on guys do better.) Barney passing off the knowledge makes sense but that should be told VIA flashback. Him doing it the night before his wedding makes it seem like he hasn't really grown. What if they flashed back to right after they got engaged and Barney was "interviewing" guys to take over the Playbook and pass on the Bro Code. I'll watch til the show ends but this Season has had more bad episodes than good.
More+
Flag
I think Ted and Robin should have built sandcastles in the sand.
Flag
Lol good one!
Flag
I enjoyed this episode if only for the past girlfriends and the look at 2006 Lilly. I feel though that having Robin and ted walking on the beach together while Barney was "missing" was kind of odd. This episode and Ted's letting go of the thought of the "Ted/Robin" relationship would have been better without the presence of actual Robin. It would have held more weight and packed a better punch with me it were "Ghost Robin" like there was "Ghost Lilly" or Robin's "Imaginary Children" where it turns out this all was an internal struggle where he finally learns to let go. Putting Robin in the position of knowing her best friend is still in love with her is awkward at anytime but before the weddin is the worst. I am not of this school of thought that Ted needed to get over Robin because it doesn't work like that. When you were in love and you break up with somoeone, that love is still there. It makes it even harder when you are around that person all the time. This is why most of his girlfriends had issues with Robin being around especially Victoria. I think this like many other episodes in the final season has really polarized fans and it will continue till the end. I personally thought this was another solid episode. Lastly, I cannot be the only person who choked up at Robin floating away.
More+
Flag
I knew this episode was going to divide people, and I'm among those who loved it. Maybe it's because I'll forever have place for a little Ted/Robin in my heart, or maybe because I just really, REALLY love Ted... but I feel for him now more than ever. And anyone saying that it's ridiculous and unbelievable for him to still have these feelings for Robin, well, it's not. When you love someone so much and for so long as Ted did Robin, you'll never be okay with things like her marrying one of your best friends, and then seeing her day in day out with him as a happy couple. It sucks, but it's realistic. But it also doesn't mean that you'll never love anyone as much ever again, so while I do think that for Ted Robin will always be his first "true love", that won't lessen her love for the Mother. After all we all have our firsts and how many of us will end up with that person for life? So I guess what I'm trying to say is... I love Ted, I love Robin, I love them together, I love them apart, I love The Mother, and I love this show as it is. This episode made me very happy.
More+
Flag
Dear K,
I don't always agree with your points of view, but this time i completely disagree with everything you said in this review.
Except for the floating Robin, that was really bad...
Flag
Lot's of things remain unanswered on that Ted and Robin thing. I would personally feel much better if he actually jumped off the bridge to get the locket, not letting that be the moment who convinced him to let go of Robin as it felt. Also, their last words "I have to let go" and "I know you do", then Robin floating away, almost made me feel like Ted was imagining he was talking to her and the whole thing was on his head. I almost expected something like this. Anyway, maybe we get some more explanations on the next episode! ^^
Flag
I have the same problem, I don't know what was real and what wasn't, it's disturbing and annooying!!
Flag
Robin's floating was kind of weird...
Anyway the real question is: Did Ted jump???
Flag
As corny, overdone and obvious Floating Robin was, it still tugged at my heartstrings a bit....but then again I like Eternal Flame. Just call me a sap...
Flag
The casting of britanick was just perfect.
Flag
Considering all of the focus Ted has had on Robin during the course of the series do you think that he might still have some residual feelings for her(I'm talking now, which is thirty years after the series takes place)? Also, how do you think the mother feels about his infatuation, how she's second best to Robin, the silver medal...
Flag
Well, regardless of if that's how either of them see it, isn't Ted technically second to Max?
Flag
Good point, though it'd be disappointing if a nine year love story resulted in both parties "settling."
Flag
i think i liked the episode and how it showed now how ted is ready to meet the mother after finally letting go of robin just like now mother is now ready to meet him after letting go of her dead ex.
I think himym startrd to get bad as soon as barney's , as great as he is, story became the main story and ted's became side story. And i dont get people's problem with ted still not meeting the mother. Its because, a the title literally says so, so if he met the mother eariier it would be no sense to continue the series , would it, and b) both were not ready to meet as they desperately cling to their dead ex or the love than never will be. And anyway we have seen them propose, have baby , etc
So i liked this episode because its basically what we all loved the series for, Ted's main story and his failed relationship, Marshal and Lily's resolving differences and Barney being the Barney we liked one last time.

Flag
What in freaking hell was that Barney story? Other than a lame and pathetic pretext to recall episode 1, I don't know.
Marshall & Lily's story wasn't good either.
But I kind of liked Ted & Robin's, although this is still around the same thing (for 9 years).

And what is that new habit of finishing episode with song? God I hate that.
Flag
Staff
This season is worse than Dexter season 8.
Flag
woah! No show deserves an insult of that magnitude
Flag
Staff
Didn't want to. Thought about the implications. Deserved.
Flag
I was SURE that Robin was also ghost Robin (like Lily), and that Ted was just working out this stuff in his head; cuz the dialogue wouldn't be that bad, right? Robin wouldn't be talking about residual feelings with her ex on the eve of her wedding, and then float away like a weird cirque de soleil balloon, right? Ted didn't say he still loved Robin... AGAIN. RIGHT?!
*sigh* And last week's episode was so good.
Flag
i loved this episode. i felt like this whole season they we dancing around ted and robin because that's what was supposed to happen. i don't understand robin and barney because they are to similar, and same with ted and the mother. the reason ted and robin work is that they are not the same person.I really miss robin's character without barney drama and this helped me remeber who she was. it was great to see sarah chalke and of course abby elliot is always a fun character.
Flag
agree with the review. this episode feels so lacking in every department that the closures seems so forced. Feels like they are trying to make too many guest appearances work within the scenes. The word Bludgeon comes to mind when watching the episode. Hope the rest of the remaining episode will be more organic
Flag
I really liked this episode. We had cameos galore, though my favourite was still Marvin. You could SEE it coming, because obviously we've seen how Marshall dealt with both Lily leaving for SF and when his dad died and he was clearly more upset when his dad died, understandably. We knew Stella would make an appearance, and while this is probably because Sarah Chalke is currently out of work it was still a nice little cameo, ditto with Victoria. Just glad we didn't have to suffer through seeing Zoe.

I think, and have thought ever since she left in the middle of the fight, that Lily left with Ranjit, as I'm sure many others do. But on the reflection of this episode I reckon it's more likely been The Captain picking her up, his driver rolling up and her getting into the backseat with him, explaining the situation and because at heart he's not a bad guy, telling her to stay in New York and let Marshall take the job.

The Bangles and Robin floating away was the only part of this episode I considered to be silly. Even the Barney stuff I consider to be a realistic part of his persona, whereupon he realises he DOES have a legacy regardless of how silly it is, and under the impression that Ted is moving to Chicago decides to impart his knowledge onto two kids who need it more than anyone. Oh and Kaitlin, you should have at least mentioned Charles Gunn's wonderful return. :)

Ultimately this episode will be compared to the one that preceded it. Had it come after Bedtime Stories it would have fared much better, but given that it came after the 200th episode and the wonderful and amazing things we saw in that episode, no matter what happened it would always be a let-down in comparison.

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if Ted dives into the river (or something similar) and does indeed find the locket.

P.P.S I really hope they don't make a spin-off featuring Barney's young mentees.
More+
Flag
You... you mean Tim Gunn, right?
Flag
Err...yes. Think I had J August Richards on the brain.
Flag
If Robin & Ted were truly looking for Barney, why stroll along a beach, sit down for a chat, and watch the sun rise? If they were really that worried, they should have been driving around, making phone calls, etc. Either Robin has more feeling for Ted than she's admitted (which could explain the jitters she verbalizes to Ted at the church), or that was just a lame set-up. I also thought Barney's storyline started our really weird. Like he's really going to go strolling down a deserted road in a drunken stupor? Come on.
Flag
Good episode, and I enjoyed seeing both Victoria, Stella and Jeanette. If the real mother didn't exist, I would want Ted to end up with either Robin or Victoria. And I agree with Robin's lists :)
Flag
I don't! Robin is clear number one to me!
Flag
it was an okay episode i mean like reading it at first i sorta groaned but it wasn't a completely horrible episode and i agree i would have felt differently if it premiered a season or two ago
Flag
So, you're getting married in a few hours and ... you go on a stroll down the beach, waiting for the sunrise with your ex, who is still in love with you??? Sure .. totally plausible.
Flag
plausible. seriously plausible. You can also have two exes at your wedding who are loathe to be there but they do it because they love you. (I've heard.) I think the wedding freakout makes people do weird things, and then they realize they're freaking out, and then they go marry that great person they love.
Flag
While your husband is drunk in a strip club teaching two random guys how to be awesome. Not convinced too
Flag
They're trying to setup a flawed relationship so that when How I Met Your Dad fails, they have Robin for a lead in How I Met My Second Husband.
Flag
I enjoyed the Ted/Robin beach stuff, sure it was a bit sappy and frustrating, but that's just Ted for ya. I thought the weakest storyline was the Marshal/Ghost Lily fight. The absolute best part of the episode was NPH (Barney) picking up two losers out of the middle of nowhere and taking them on an fun and educational journey (sadly there was no White Castle in their story).
Flag
Ireally like it. For me, all the series is about Ted letting Robin go, because there were a lot of girlfriends, love stories..but at the end it had always been Robin, it was so nice and heartwarming they chat, Ted opening his heart to Robin...
Marshall´s part was ok, I love seeing his father ( I miss him so much) and 2006 Lily was ok to me...I´ve always thought Marshall was right in the fight, and that he must win, and he did it, but it´s very mature to him that in relationships (sane relationships) there isn´t a win-lose situation)
Barney part was ok, filler, but ok
I´m agree in floating Robin, I would prfered that they show a ballon with a photo of her the first time Ted met Robin or something like that...

Flag
I'm noticing a pattern here... every time we get a GOOD episode we're hit with a BAD one immediately after. Last episode's ONLY flaw was that it seemed a little rushed (I would'ved loved a 2-parter) but this episode... my GOD did it suck. The ONLY good thing about it was Victoria's brief cameo and how she screwed with Ted a little bit before admitting that she had the locket.

Ok, let's start with what was arguably the worst about this episode: Marshall and the Ghost Lilys. I understand that with Real Lily God-knows-where, Marshall had to sort out whether or not he did the right thing. But, from where I stood, he was 80% right (even the Ghosts agreed) so why instead of having Marshall talk to two ghosts plus the ghost of his father about whether or not his actions were justified, we instead see it from Lily's point of view. SHE was the one who completely dismissed Marshall's pros and cons. When the hell did she decide that Marshall had a point and give up her dream?

Next was Barney... What could've been the funniest part of the episode was marred by the fact that Barney was stone drunk the entire time. Had he been sober this entire time I would've been laughing my ass off, but with Barney's drunkenness he seems almost regretful that he was giving all his tips to his pupils. I'd say he was beginning to get cold feet, but with the drunk factor I had no idea what to make of it.

And finally... Ted and Robin. In the words of Daphne, "WHAT THE DAMN HELL?" This conversation HAD to happen sooner or later, but it just seemed like a horrible payoff to something that was hyped since last season finale. Ted admitted to Robin that he still loved her but knew she didn't love him back and decided to let go... but we have no idea if he fished the necklace out from wherever Janeatte threw it. If he did go after it and ends up giving it to her just before she marries Barney, it would make this entire conversation ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS! Lily basically said that Ted was touching a grenade with that locket, and giving it to her AFTER this conversation would essentially be the equivalent of nuking a country AFTER it surrendered... unless this conversation didn't actually happen. If Marshall could speak to two Lilys at the same time, it may be possible that Ted was wrestling with his own feelings privately on the beach and Robin wasn't actually with him. The ending with Robin rising up to the sky after Ted let go would support this theory, however, unlike the Lilys, Robin didn't vanish. Usually in the sappy romances the ghost or hallucination vanishes after the character lets go, but Robin just floated there. This makes the ending of this episode REALLY confusing.

This episode sucked. 2 out of 10, and I'm being nice because of the Victoria factor (and, admittedly, Barney slapping his pupils was funny... although the camera was positioned in the wrong angle so you could actually see Neil's hand NOT hitting pupil #2.) Can we just move on to the ceremony already? No more fillers, PLEASE!
More+
Flag
I actually liked most of this episode. I think it was a great way to have Ted finally let go of Robin. I honestly thought it would happen in like the last episode. Maybe the Robin thing should have been resolved like a year ago, but it wasn't and the floating away thing worked kind of, it was weird and a tad funny, but it worked for me. And everything was finally laid out. Robin now knows pretty much all of Ted's feelings towards her and it didn't change her mind about anything, which is how should be. I didn't really care for the Marshall storyline and liked Barney's purely because Tim Gunn was in it. Tim should be in everything. This was a story that needed to happen and I'm glad it finally did.
Flag
It wasn't a bad episode it was okay, kinda average but not the worst. Yes I do feel like the writers wanted to wrap thing up as quickly as possible.
And Robin floating as a balloon wasn't emotional was silly like I really laugh at that one.
Poor Marshal he is considered as one of Ted's best ex-girlfriends and still doesn't know that Ted is moving.
Am I the only one who forgot about the whole locket issue?
Flag
I'm starting to think that the Mother is a rebound for Ted...
Would have been better to let Ted just see the mother and then completely forget about Robin
Flag
You have a good point. It´s hard to believe you can love someone so much twice in a lifetime.. but ok..some people are lucky like that.. but Ted will meet mother in one or two day after he "let Robin go"? Who could change feelings like that?
Flag
Isn't Ted also a rebound for the mother? She literally just broke up with her boyfriend.
Flag
true. Wasn't it that she knew it wasn't the real thing with that guy because she was still hanging on to her first boyfriend and she let go of him and let go of that other guy so she can move on and start fresh...

I get that they had to do that with Ted so he can be open to the mother but it all seems so forced...
Flag
Very well said. Haven't seen it that way but now that you say it. Ted for 9 years is talking about the ultimate love he has for the mother but the story almost makes you believe she is just a rebound because Robin is getting married and he has nothing else.
Flag
Yep. The timing of this episode is completely wtong
Flag
This episode was far better and far less pathetic than the previous one. Seriously, I know I am in the minority, but come on- if anything is cheap and lazy storytelling it's how the mother is Ted's carbon copy, except in female form, just add an unnecessary tragic story to all that...just, ugh, no.
This episode had three stories, a funny one, a 'victory lap' one and the sentimental one. It's a great episode IMO.
Flag
I don't think it's lazy storytelling. I love the fact that the mother is identical to Ted. It's cute and I think the writers did an excellent job with choosing who the mother is and how she will act.

Flag
These reviews are so cynical ... I don't think I have ever read a positive one
... episode wasn't bad
Flag
People just have different opinion. And you review is not really detailed, so at least people not enjoying say why.
Flag
My guess is Lilly went to some bar where she found the mother who told her to think about this whole fight. Ok maybe not, I just want the mother to be more involved in the storyline.
Flag
Right after Lily & Marshall's fight, she made a phone call; later, she was riding in the back of a limo. I think this fight between Marshall & Lily will be resurrected when it's revealed who picked her up and/or where she went.
Flag
That's pretty much impossible. The Mother was either sulking in her room at the Inn during this time, or asleep. The eoisode started at 4 am and ended around 6 am. Any self respecting musician would be zonked out.
Flag
I hope this is finally end of Ted and Robin, and I am glad that Lily came to her senses. I hate her from 2nd season when she left Marshal, that was the ultimate b*ch move. At least Barney was in his element and brightened this episode.
Flag
This made it to the top 5 Worst HIMYM's Episodes, right?
Flag
well Robin shouldn't be that shocked about Ted and Victoria breaking up because of her. I mean ok he was still in love with her.. i get that BUT I wouldnt say yes if my boyfriend would say: no u cant be friends with him anymore. But darling we are like really really close, I dont care break up or we break up - well bye bye ;)
Flag
If you are deeply in love with the friend, yes you would. Ted was just more in love with Robin than Victoria. So he obviously chose the girl he was the more in love with.
Flag
I always enjoy seeing Ashley Williams as "Victoria". I love her.
Flag
is it just me or did robin float away because she was also a ghost of ted's past, A figment of his imagination. Ted watch robin float away just like he watched his balloon float away and remebered the lesson he learned from watching the balloon float away. "If you really love something you do not let it go." Ted has not really told robin he is leaving he just played it all out in his head. I think robin was back in her room sleeping while barney, ted , and marshall worked out their issues through fictious characters. Except, for barney that was real.
Flag
This Ted and Robin situation should have been resolved three seasons ago not in the last season when Robin is about to get married to Barney. Speaking of Barney his storyline felt kinda out of place. And they definitely swept Marshal and Lily's fight under the rug without any real resolution.
Flag
While this episode wasn't as amazing as last weeks episode, I still enjoyed it. Maybe i'm looking at it differently, because i'm actually rewatching all seasons right now. (just started with season 7).
While the floating Robin obviously just happened in Teds mind, it was symbolic because it finaly means he let Robin go. He is finaly ready for the next step: moving on.

The Barney story was nice, I really liked his words; that something can only be legendary if you can share it with friends. It shows how much Barney has grown as a person since the first season.

I expect we will learn where Lily went and who told her that staying in NY is the right thing.
Flag
i bet they are gonna show that lily had the same conversation woth ghost marshell wherever she went which would be awesome
Flag
I think this episode needed to happen because all characters had something to let got. For Ted it was a big no huge thing to let Robin go (even though he kept trying to find the locket). It was nice to see all ex-gf again. Especially Victoria, I just loved her. Barney needed this night away I think to, like we saw, pass his knowledge to the ''next ones''. This needed to happen to him because whithout that it Barney would not be Barney. He has grown up in many ways but his passed was still inside him and by meeting those two guys he could ''finally'' move on from his passed life.
Marshall had to let go of winning in a relationship/marriage because otherwise eventually he would have lost Lily over it. Even thought Lily thought Marshall hadn't the right to bring back SF, I think the writers did good bringing that up. Because no matter how long ago that situation was Marshall's pain was still in his heart. It might have been little now but 7 years ago it was huge. So I totally understand where he is coming from.
At the end everything came together well. I'm really wondering how the next few episodes will be because time is flying by and they only got like a few hours left.
More+
Flag
is it just me or did this episode felt close to home... everyone has at some point let go... of someone or something... shed a tear then smiled...
Flag
I think Lily called Ranjit. It is not the first time that he was involved in their argument. I agree with you, however, I also think, it somehow fits into the storyline... In real life, things doesn't happen how we can imagine them on the screen. Also, yes, Robin easily let Ted go to Chicago, but maybe bcs this episode wasn't about how Robin tries to hold him back. She looked surprised, and knowing the group, they will persuade Ted to stay....
Flag
I think I agree with you. Everything that happened were things that needed to happen, but there was something lacking in the execution (although I love any excuse to see Ashley Williams on TV). There is still a lot that needs to be covered and there's only a couple episodes left to do it all. I'm starting to worry they'll either leave more loose strings than me thought or they'll rush to do it all and we'll have a string of terrible episodes.
Flag
I liked it a lot until the moment where Robin started floating to the sky. WTF was that for. Couldn't she just walk away?

Also I think this reveiwer never really liked the show. It seems every review is completely negative.
Flag
Same thing! For the first time this season, I enjoyed a story in an episode: Ted & Robin's. BUt why did she had to float?! Seriously?! That killed it.
Flag
It really did. I was like "Ted is finally being honest, and preparing to move on" And then she floats away. The only explaination that will save it is if it turns out to have been a dream, but you'd have thought that they would have said that at the end of this episode.
Flag
Staff
How I Met Your Mother is one of my favorite shows, and I've given plenty of great reviews over the season, including just last week.
Flag
Sorry, I saw the one last week. I shouldn't have made a generalization. I shoulda said that the ones I remember the most are the negative ones.
Flag
Not the best episode, but okay. I understand why some people felt this was a weak episode - I didn't really care for the Lily/Marshall stuff - but for the most part this episode was all about letting go. Ted had to FINALLY let go of his feelings for Robin and move on, Barney had to let go of his past and fully commit to his relationship with Robin (though I thought he had already done that), and Marshall and Lily made up and came to a decision about their future (though we don't know how or why Lily decided to change her mind - we'll probably get a flashback to show us). I know for most people Ted's realization about Robin is a few years too late, but ultimately he had to come to that point now, because then he would be ready for the person who he was truly meant to be with (the Mother - who we know was dealing with her own set of baggage). I did like seeing Victoria and Stella (and crazy Jeanette), and I am glad it is with his talks with all of them that he FINALLY saw that he was holding on to something that was long gone (and never meant to be). Should he have seen this sooner? Yes of course, but if you have ever loved someone who wasn't right for you, or who you just weren't willing to lose, then you would understand where Ted was coming from. Unrequited love is horrible, and then to have that love end up with your best friend is heartbreaking. In Ted's mind Robin was his ideal woman, even if everything about their relationship was wrong. The fact that they continued to be friends after they broke up shows that he was willing to do anything to keep her in his life, even if it hurt. She meant that much to him, so letting her go was NEVER going to be an easy thing for him to do. His heart has been with her since the beginning of the show (even when he was with Victoria). I am glad he is now ready to move forward, because since Robin I think we can say his heart has never truly been with anyone else (though he did give it a try with Victoria).
More+
Flag
I also thought the floating Robin scene was a bit weird which led me to believe that Ted was not actually talking to Robin but his own ghost Robin; all of this to finally let out and sort his feelings.

I mean do you really think that Ted would wake Robin up way late in the night and jeopardize the wedding by telling her that Barney might have left and bringing up the fact that he still loves her the night before she gets married?

That being said, I really liked this episode, some may complain that in the end not much may have actually happened in this episode, but I think it accomplished it's goal that it allowed the characters to move on and prepares everyone for what's coming next.

Flag
Why is nobody mentioning the Tailor? Wasn't he great?
"We should go to the party"
"In relaxed fit domestic denim? I'm sorry, is this a costume party and you're going as a 1994? Would you be a peach and bump this please?" *bumps fists with Barney*
Flag
"The tailor?" You mean world famous fashion consultant, Tim Gunn? But yes, he was hilarious as he always is.
Flag
Not an American, nor interested in fashion, so the only thing you can do is to forgive me ;)
Flag
My opinion is.

1. Marshall and Lily should have had a real conversation.

2. Ted and Robins conversation should have been fake instead, with Robin saying something like "You know why Barney and me work so well together? We are friends. Same thing goes for Marshall and Lily. You never really had that with Stella or Zooey or Victoria for that matter. I'm the closest thing you had that with in a relationship, but that's it. You are not in love with me, you know why I know that? Because I'm back in my room sleeping and you are realizing this on your own." just for example.

Ted should have gotten the locket and at that Point taken it out of his pocket and throwing it in the sea and next image showing him loosing the balloon as a kid (no floating Robin) and end scene.
YES Ted should have the conversation with Robin, but maybe Robin finds out through Lily by mistake and that's what they talk about when she calls to see him right Before the wedding, but tha conversation should end with Ted telling Robin he has now moved on since then and maybe even tell her he got the locket then threw it in the sea and Robin seems like she's gonna freak out but instead she smiles and says she's proud of him. (Lol I know I rewrote the whole thing but once I start I can't stop hehe)
Anyway.... yeah... that's it..
More+
Flag
That would have been great. Now I really wished that happened.
Flag
Your opinion is very wise. Too bad the writers didn't share it.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Good season, boring episode
Flag
The highlight of the Robinarc for me was Ted shouting at Janette and that was actually quite nice. So I can't be too mad with the terrible balloon scene.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members