A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

How I Met Your Mother S09E22: "The End of the Aisle

The decision to set the final season of How I Met Your Mother entirely at Robin and Barney's wedding has been a strange and often challenging adventure. Some episodes have been better than others. Sometimes the flashbacks and flash-forwards have worked, and sometimes they haven't. But I've definitely come away with the impression that the journey is sometimes more important than the destination itself. This is a point I made a few weeks ago when discussing "Vesuvius," but this week, as Robin and Barney finally said their vows, it became blatantly obvious that we were witnessing a monumental moment in these characters' lives, and we've spent months hanging out with them as they prepared for it, and then it was over in the span of a few minutes. 

That's not a complaint, by the way; it's merely an observation of the situation. And it's an observation about life itself. We can spend months and weeks and hours preparing ourselves for the biggest moments of our lives, but at the end of the day they're still just fleeting moments, stories we'll later tell our friends (or children). It takes more time to nuke a burrito than it did for Robin and Barney to pledge their love to one another. It doesn't make that moment any less important or special, it just means that before it occurred, they weren't married, and now they are. This wedding has been dictating the path of the show for years now, ever since we saw the flash-forward to Robin in a wedding dress, and again when it was revealed that Barney was the groom. This was a moment many fans have been waiting for; It signaled the end of Robin and Ted, it signaled the beginning of a new chapter for both Robin and Barney, and it also meant that dammit, Ted's about to meet the Mother!

This is both an exciting moment and a very sad moment for How I Met Your Mother, because once Ted meets the Mother that's it, folks. Porky Pig might as well pop out of a drum, because the show will be over. It'll be a fleeting moment that Ted, the Mother, and the series' dedicated fans will remember always. We'll talk about the episodes that led up to this moment, and about how many hours we spent waiting and preparing for her arrival in Ted's life and in ours. But at the end of the day, it's still just that single moment. It might be the most important one in the show's narrative, but that doesn't change all of the things that happened before it, nor does it devalue them. Because all of those stories were necessary for Ted to be able to turn Robin down as she panicked about marrying Barney. She wasn't wrong when she told Ted that her relationship with Barney has been built on lies, but she also wasn't wrong in marrying him either, because if I may quote another famous character played by Alyson Hannigan, "Love makes you do the wacky." 

It's true that love is a nonsensical thing, but Ted was right in that it's kind of all we've got. "Love's the best thing we do," he said. Ted's a great guy, but was he the right guy for Robin? He stole her a blue french horn, and he went through hell to find her locket, but she loved Barney and nothing was going to change that. Knowing that the horrible incident of Robin floating away happened weeks ago in our timeline, but less than 24 hours ago in Ted's, it did feel a bit hollow to have him say he doesn't love her like that anymore, but at the same time, it makes complete sense. Robin has been Ted's idea of a perfect woman for years now, but that's all she ever was: an idea. She was a representation of everything Ted thought he wanted, but we've known all along she wasn't the Mother. In a way, that's what's made Ted's journey so frustrating all these years: We've had the privilege of watching this story unfold, already knowing the truth about Ted's relationship with Robin. But Ted never knew. He'd yet to live it.

There's a reason people warn us to be careful what we wish for. Wishes and dreams are built and can only exist in a perfect world, which is clearly not where we live or where the gang lives. Marshall and Lily pledged their vows to each other in 2007 and broke some of them within the span of a month or two (the bearded Wonder Woman incident!). Vows aren't necessarily made to be broken, but they can, and probably should, change over time as we also change. Ted evolved over the course of nine years, only he was the last person to realize it. And it took Robin wondering if she was making the wrong decision marrying Barney that in turn made Ted realize Robin's not who he wants anymore. Maybe 2005 Ted thought she was the perfect woman, but she's not—at least not for Ted—and it took him staring down the possibility of being with Robin and hearing those words to fully realize that. For a guy who fancies himself a detective, he's really pretty bad at figuring out the mystery of his life and his heart. But now that he can say he really has moved on from Robin, he'll be ready when he meets the Mother on the train platform.

Robin and Barney finally tied the knot this week, just as we all knew they would, and this episode that afforded us a sweet, lovely ceremony that included a ring bear, a cut-at-the-last-second flower gorilla, and an instrumental version of "Sandcastles in the Sand" as Robin walked down the aisle. But more importantly, it included the final slap. It made sense that there was no build-up to it, that Marshall used it to snap Barney out of his own panic attack. Much like the actual wedding, it was but a small moment in the larger overarching narrative of How I Met Your Mother. So much has been made of the slaps, and of the Mother, and of the really big moments, that I liked that it just... happened. That's basically what life is—a collection of happenings, like Robin meeting the Mother during her dash away from the wedding. And now Ted's the only one who hasn't met her, which I suppose is a good thing since the series finale airs next week. I guess it's about time to wrap this thing up, eh?

NOTES

– You should know that CBS's official caption for the above photo is simply, "A wedding guest." 

– <3 Patrice

– I'd high-five Marshall for each and every one of those "vow" puns. I've got your back, Marshmallow.

– There's a lot to be said about how far Ted is willing to go for his friends. I kind of believe that while the locket was an isolated incident, and could've only happened with Robin, Ted would have done similar things for each of his friends, because that's what friends do when they love and care about you. 

– I know that a lot of people dislike Barney and the Robin and Barney relationship, but Barney has actually changed quite a bit from the man we first met in the How I Met Your Mother pilot. He was a horn dog, and in a way, he still is, but he does love and care about Robin, and I think they're a good match for each other.

thekaitling:list:himym-what-did-you-think-of-the-end-of-the-aisle/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

174 Comments
Comments (200)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I will like to know your opinion of the last episode???
Flag
I laughed out loud twice during this episode, once at the bagel with cream cheese and once at the flower girlilla. They were both impeccably timed jokes.
Marshall's puns were also a nice callback to his love for puns over the series.

However, the rest of the episode, the plot, the stuff that really mattered, sucked. Sorry, but it was awfully, too obviously constructed. Can't have a wedding without cold feet. Can't have Ted still love Robin without Robin reciprocating that immediately before her wedding.
Originality would've been nice for a change instead of just sorta reaching 24 episodes for the sake of it.
Flag
I dont care what people say. yes it wasnt always perfect but who cares. the last episodes were good and Im soo gonna cry next week. i will miss those awesome characters
Flag
Still wondering about the final episode though....anybody notice how when barney looks at the playbook volume 2 he DOESNT have a ring on??? (vol 2 had to be made AFTER the wedding)
Flag
How did you miss the "I use to be a bit of a detective when i was a kid" bit that the mother dropped when she met Robin?It made me wanna scream "haaaaave ya met Ted?" It's those little stuff that make this show to me.
Flag
Great episode. I'm still not crazy about the wedding season-long arc nor the fact that Robin is thinking about ending up with Ted minutes before kissing Barney as her bride but good nonetheless.

I understand people freak out at their weddings but that's a pretty absurd freak out for her to be thinking about going back with Ted, and I hate the Ted-Robin love story taking to the penultimate episode to finally wrap up.

Everything else was good and the final slap was a nice touch as well and a great moment for them to do it. I'm glad Barney and Robin are married and there will be no swerve.

While the last three or four years have taken a downward spiral for this show, it is still going to be one of my all-time favorite comedies mostly for the earlier episodes but some great ones sprinkled in between.

The season started out rough but the last few episodes leave me optimistic that the finale will be a good, albeit likely sad, conclusion to one of my favorite sitcoms of all-time.
Flag
kissing Barney as his bride I should have said.
Flag
Only one more thing on the wishlist, and that's Robin Sparkles 5.
Maybe watching it at the wedding reception on a big screen?
I agree that the final slap was done right, without any buildup, it was more symbolic.
The only question i have is why is Ted at the train station, because he is over Robin and he has no reason to go to Chicago now right?
I wonder if the last episode will be like Seinfeld in the way of the guest stars returning, with the episode taking place almost entirely at one location. There could be room for 15-20 previously seen characters, or was last weeks episode enough?
Flag
Wow, crappy final slap! And so predictable. Marshall and Lily's plot was sooo cheesy. And doesn't anyone else think that the mother being crucial to all the gang's lifes is a bit artificial?
Flag
I was annoyed by this episode for the mere fact that I thought that the episode where Robin and Ted went to look for Barney there was closure between these two. The writers wanted to beat a dead horse. The locket could have stayed in the river and Robin still could have freaked out but they just had to have one last Ted and Robin moment. I think the speech Ted gave was fake and I think he should have just called her out and asked her if she loved him or Barney rather than saying he didn't feel that way anymore. It was just 12 hours before that, that he was still in love with her. It wasn't sincere. I do like Robin and Barney and loved their scene before the wedding and when Robin came up to the altar and they said hi to each other, that was great. I would have rather seen more of the wedding since this was a long time in the making.
Flag
Even though he's my avatar, Barney and Robin still just don't feel like "the" couple to me; kind of how Joey and Rachel didn't feel right ten years ago (wow, almost exactly!) It would have been funny for her to say "I take thee Ted," but that would have gone a little too far with plagiarism. But anyway, I am curious to see how the finale plays out and how Ted and the mother make it together.
Flag
I hadn´t realise untill you write it that the thing that disappoint me a bit is that the weadding was so short...because I love Barney and robin together so much (since the beginning, although I didn´t like all the "Robin became mad when they broke up" thing)...but it was sweet and I love the ring bear...
Flag
And Marshall, I undestand you about Vikings!
Flag
I expected the episode to end with Marshall handing over a $5 bill to Lily to signal the end of the Ted-Robin bet.
Flag
I hope they address the long-term bet in the finale. Remember, there is no timeline on the bet...:)
Flag
I wonder if the writers will address the fact that the world is coming to an end. That's the reason Marshall was doing no work at his firm and ted narrated previously that he would save the world with his firm.
Flag
Wasn't that why Marshall wanted to take up his judge job? Now Garryson Coots can continue to fight the good fight knowing that the judge batting for the earth. Thus, they end up saving the world together.
Flag

The inclusion of Billy Zabka this season has been great.
Flag
Finally I feel as though there is some excitement on this show. Other than the episode narrarated by the mother and the one that lead people to think she was dying, this season has mostly been a joke. And the sad thing is I think the writers were easily capable of something better than an entire season set in one weekend.
Flag
I absolutely loved it. I'm so gonna miss the gang... Everything was perfect and for that, it made me cry. Ted's speech to Robin, Barney's panic, the vow references, Robin meeting the Mother, the slap, the ring bear (how cute was that?!) ... I absolutely loved it. I can't wait for next week and at the same time, I don't want it to come, because I don't wanna say goodbye to these five awesome people that have welcomed me to their booth at MacLaren's and into their lives and stories for so long. I feel like one of them, and I don't wanna let them go...
Flag
I was just thinking earlier, imagine if Ted was a really bad story teller, and this is how the show went...
"Kids this is the story of how I met your mother. It was on a train on the way home from a friend's wedding."

And we would have missed out on all these years of seemingly random but hilarious side stories.
Flag
Another thing, I love Ted.

Flag
I got so may answers to my early comment that I want to add a few more things.

I do understand that Robin doubting about if Barney was the right one for her was the last challenge Ted had to go through to realize that she's not the one for him. And I believed him when he says he doesn't love her like that anymore.

Yet, I still find totally out off character that Robin thought she should have married Ted instead fo Barney. Because is one thing to have doubts about your actions, but she was doubting about her feelings for Ted, and we hadn't seen her interested in Ted in a romantic way since season 4, so I'm sorry, I still don't buy that.

I loved too that the final slap was so spontaneous and usefull. I love you Marshall and I always will.

Also, I want to know Barney's opinion whe he finds out that Robin and The Mother got to second base. LOL.
Flag
"I still find totally out off character that Robin thought she should have married Ted instead fo Barney."

That wasn't Robin. That was the freakout talking, and it wasn't about Ted. Just like when Barney was trying to dive out the window, it wasn't really about wanting a different tie, or when Marshall had his freakout, he didn't really want to be bald.
Flag
As ashamed as I am I break a wow to. I watched the episode but for my defense last episode is a double then it's OK :).
And after the last 2 episode of Teen Wolf I just watched I needed it.
I was right for the final slap, ok almost right it was on the altar but the slap wasn't coming from Robin. My version was funnier but this one make more sense and was better :).
Anyway that was a good episode, I like way the locket thing happened. The way that Ted remained strong. Even if I always be and always will ship for Ted and Robin. I wanted them together. I always searched solution to explain how Robin could be the mother. But I happy with how the things are for the moment; Barney changed a lot during those 9 seasons and Robin and him fit each other.
No fingers crossed for the end. Let's hoped that the writers did a good job (and hopfully one I like)
Flag
I was waiting for Robin to ask herself if she was doing the right thing, just wish she would have left so the wedding wouldn't have happened. Such a aweful couple.
Flag
I do agree about Ted. I think he would have done something like that for Lily as well as Robin. He's a good friend and I think he really wanted to find the locket for Robin because how much it meant to her.

I was glad that Ted did acknowledge that he and Robin aren't the same people they were back in Season 1 and at this point it wouldn't have really made sense for them to get back together.
Flag
Not that it matters all that much, but we saw Barney as the groom before Robin was revealed as the bride (I spent a good chunk of that season worrying it wouldn't be Robin). It was a pretty good episode. Robin panicking was in character, though considering Ted seemed like a stretch although I was sold on it in the end, because her freak out was full-blown and culminated in her running away alone lol.

Barney's arc was nice -- we've seen very early on that no matter what he's said, he has admired Marshall and Lily's relationship (he brought Lily back from San Francisco!) so it was cool to see him witness their renewed vows and realize how important it was to be honest with Robin. The best thing about it was definitely the end though, where we see members of the wedding audience -- a handful of people that in small ways have brought us to this moment, like Ranjit and Jerry, and that have shaped the story of these friends and Ted meeting the mother.
Flag
"Not that it matters all that much, but we saw Barney as the groom before Robin was revealed as the bride (I spent a good chunk of that season worrying it wouldn't be Robin)."

You were supposed to. They set up the Quinn fakeout just to mess with you.
Flag
Exactly. Which is why I'm not convinced the mother is dead. Classic schmosby and HIMYM misdirection.
Flag
I knew I would cry at the end of this episode and as I expected - I did. Simply because over the years I have come to love this show so much that now, as it is ending, it makes me both sad and happy. Happy that each character is about the achieve the thing he or she wants the most. Sad that by april 1st I won't get to watch my favourite show every week. It hurts but that is life. Like all those things I waited for in HIMYM happened so quckily. Like in this episode. I've waited for so long for barney and robin's weeding and in the speed of two minuted it was over. And believe it or not, I wasn't angry about that. It happened fast, but as in life those kind of moment happen fast. So understandably I still cried at the end of the episode.
I am so relieved and happy for ted that now because of robin's freak out, he can finally move on and meet the mother. Robin's meeting with the mother was so unexpected that it still made sence. I loved that Barney was trying to find the perfect vows for robin and that by watching marshall and lily resaying their vows for eachother made him realize that he doesn't need to say the perfect vows, he just needs to mean them and be honest in his marriage. ted was so true by saying that love is what we do best. without love all of our lifes wouldn't be as happy and liveable as giving and receiving love.

I still can't believe that next week the last episode of himym will air. I'm ready to be blown away by this show for one last time...
More+
Flag
That's three episodes in a row that have made my eyes leak...
Next week's gonna be a doozy. I'm already tearing up.
Considering I tutted aloud when I read there'd be a ninth season, I am really not ready for it to be over yet. It feels too soon! But, I know it's the right thing.
Arrivederci, HIMYM.
Flag
I liked this episode quite a bit, but it felt disconnected to the Barney of the last 2 years. If we had built up the character to be this guy, the one who wants to be better, then I think I would have liked watching this show a lot more lately. But instead this was an about-face for Barney, a good turn but a turn none the less. And keep in mind, he immediately broke his promise with the hiding of the Flower Gorilla - a stupid joke that ended up undermining the whole honesty point they had been making.

The mother was a misfire for once, she wasn't bad per se, but she really didn't offer anything. They play her up as sage and valuable to everybody, but this was pretty simplistic.

The final slap was obvious, I think everybody in the comments section called this weeks and weeks ago, and ultimately it fell short when its time came. As for Ted going into the drink, I think a lot of us saw that coming when it first happened, I know I did.

Oh Kaitlin, your point about Ted not seeing his own heart... Ted is a TERRIBLE detective!

Love that CBS photo caption, thanks for including it. Ah, PR.

Patrice is Robin's only other female "friend", so sad.

I think you're right about Ted doing that much for his friends.
More+
Flag
Patrice as the bridesmaid? I also didn't understand that. Oh, and I know Lucy Hale was off filming PLL, how come the couldn't get her another 2 second shot either as a bridesmaid or as a wedding guest?
Flag
  • I thought the mother's advice to Robin was fine. It wasn't like when she met
  • Barney:where he hit on her after a bunch of challenges where finally a girl who he hit on put him in his place. He needed to grow up and he had been in love with Robin, he just needed sound advice from someone who was not in his circle of friends.
  • As for Marshall and Lily, she had more time to talk with both of them-the train with Lily and the the van ride with Marshall when she picked him and Marvin up.
  • With Robin, it was what 20-30 minutes before she was going to get married? The mother has played at weddings before and her advice was sound just take a few deep breaths that is all I really think you need to do. I would have told Robin the same thing. There was no real point on a long drawn out conversation like the others. It was short and to the point which is what Robin needed at the moment.
  • Also, I give Barney a pass on the gorilla thing. He mentioned the gorilla, she did not seem enthused so he got rid of it before she saw it. I don't consider it him lying to her.
More +
Flag
I thought Barney's arch was shown. Maybe it helps that I've been rewatching the series from the start, but the change was there. There was the relationship with Nora, (the first time Barney really thought about making something permanent), Barney meeting his dad (coming to terms with his abandonment issues), and obviously Quinn (appreciating fidelity). We concentrate so much on Ted it's easy to miss some of the bigger aha! moments in Barney's life, but they were there.
I seriously suggest rewatching HIMYM from season 1 before the finale, it lends so much more to the journey as a whole.

With the Mother, personally I liked that her advice was sparse. I like to think Ted's going to end up with a human being, not Yoda. She doesn't have to have all the answers, or what's the future for?
Flag
Barney's arc seemed to stop with Quinn and then started backsliding IMO. And it's not just big moments, it's behavior between those moments which isn't consistent.

The advice doesn't have to be sage all the time, but the show doesn't need to treat it like it is.
Flag
As I quite frequently watch season 1, I can see a major difference in the change of the two female characters- Lily's change I think came with age and "wisdom." However, Robin changed from a completely independent, very cool woman to a shrill, annoying shell of a character. What did the writers do to her? Watching season 1 next to this season completely illuminates what injustices they have done to Cobie Smulders's character. But I agree, watch season 1! It's probably the best season...
Flag
i watched 10 episodes of the first season after watching this one, and you're right, Robin is like a totally different person.
Flag
She hadn't met Patrice yet. Patrice brings out the worst in Robin...
Flag
This season was all towards the wedding. However, the ceremony was freaking short... I realized they didn't emphasize the wedding at all; quite unlike Lily and Marshall's.
Marshall's last slap was epic.
Robin's cold feet and her last minute realization of her feelings for Ted is bizzard. Honestly, if I knew my partner has second thoughts... I would have just halt the wedding entirely.
It is wise of Ted for being persistent and making a stand for letting Robin go for GOOD... FOR GOOD THIS TIME!!! I am please to say... FOR ONCE TED, YOU R WISE!!! Knowing that his choice in the past was pretty lousy!!
Flag
I'm wondering if Robin's freakout comes back to bite her. I was wondering if the scene in Buenos Aires culminates with a drunk Robin confessing about trying to run off with Ted at the wedding, and it does something to their marriage?
Flag
It would be nice. Both people freaking out and trying to escape before their wedding is not a good sign. But I don't think that will happen.
Flag
Barney and Ted were both perfect in that episode, Robin a little less but I liked her encounter with the Mother.
Flag
I think they needed a true wedding planner on the set as a consultant and I'm not even married or a big wedding person.
I found it weird that Robin's sister wasn't a bridesmaid (if anything just to give it a little more balance) and no one stood up when the happy couple left the room in their 'just married' walk. I don't know how they missed this.
I thought the episode was decent but a lot of the things in this season have looked either cheap, cheesy or rushed (little to no flowers at the wedding, no standing for the bride & groom, floating Robin, awful green screens, etc...)
Still love the show though and looking forward to the yellow umbrella moment.
Flag
Actually I thought it was fine. Robin is not really much of a girly person (Like me) and so I thought it fit her more. Ok it could have been done a little better but as they showed Lily having all the flowers (delivered towards the end of the 2nd ceremony at the church after the first wedding outside) and the harp player etc was fine for her. Robin is more lower key tomboy because of how she was raised by her dad (she likes Hockey, smokes cigars once and awhile, plays laser tag with Barney sometimes, before they got engaged she was shown to be a pretty good wing-man, etc).
I thought it was weird that the sister was not there either but if the actress was not available then maybe they should have used her a bit better, but oh well.
Flag
"I found it weird that Robin's sister wasn't a bridesmaid."

The actress who played her wasn't available. She's been in two episodes in 9 years, apparently they aren't that close. Might as well be surprised that they didn't invit the doppelgangers to the wedding, either.
Flag
Well she was there just a few hours earlier, spending time with her sister. And given that most of the close-ups of parents, friends, etc, in the congregation were obvious green-screen inserts, they could easily have put her in as well.
Flag
I personally would have thought that "the mother " was second choice to robin had I not seen this episode. This whole season I thought the only reason Ted is with the mother is because robin moved on with Barney and there was no hope for Ted with robin ever. With this episode I now truly feel that the mother and ted belong together and she is not second choice. She is "the one". I have watched this show from episode one. My son was just born and I was feeling left out being 20 years old with a new born. This show made me feel like one of them. I have cried I think every episode this season weather it be happy or sad tears. I have a feeling I'm going to be slightly depressed when it's all over. But I guess that's why it's a good thing I have all the season on DVD.
Flag
Very good episode, and your reviews just keep getting better and i'm also going to miss reading them. Unless you review Himyf, in that case i'll be back every week! :)
Flag
I think this would have been a fitting end overall to the series and am now a bit worried that next week's hour long finale will drop the ball.
Flag
Very good episode, I can't believe there is only one episode left. Barney and Robin finally got married, Ted REALLY let Robin go for good and showed why he is such a great friend, Lily and Marshall showed why they are such an adorable couple, Marshall gave Barney his final slap, and we saw the ring bear (how cute). All in all a good episode. I loved Ted's speech to Robin, it was exactly what she needed to hear, and I liked that he gave the locket to Barney to give to her (even if Robin figured out it was Ted that actually went to great lengths to find it - I mean come on its Ted, who else would do something like that, but he would do that for any of his friends because that's the kind of guy he is). Ted may have THOUGHT he was still in love with Robin the day before (or a few hours before - not sure on the time frame of when he actually let her go), but he honestly has been over her for years. Robin was always his default love - the one he always went back to when his love life was in disarray - he was in love with the idea of Robin, not Robin herself. I am glad he realized that her wanting to be with him was just her having cold feet, and his speech to her about love was spot on. She needed to hear that, just like Barney needed to hear Lily and Marshall recite their new vows - whatever doubts they may have had about being married, whatever fear they may have about the unknown future together, doesn't change the fact that they truly love and care for one another. That being together is what they want - love is hard, there will always be bumps in the road but if you truly find someone that you want to spend your life with, it doesn't matter as long as you have each other. I can't wait for the finale next week - I can't believe next week it will all be over. :(
More+
Flag
If I remember correctly, Ted spots the Mother while she's playing at the wedding reception, right? But they only officially meet at the train station... by which time Ted has broken his hand somehow... or am I mixing stuff up? Anyway, I'm not prepared to let this show go.
Flag
You are remembering correctly. I believe that's the moment were Ted met the mother. I don't know why it is not mentioned enough on this forum.
Flag
I did find it a bit interesting that while Ted was saying that "love is what we do best," there was a picture of a red herring on the wall behind Robin. Just something I found interesting - could be nothing, but it could refer to some plot twist in the finale. Also, Robin told Ted that with Barney everything was "legendary," which means "not real." At the end of the wedding Future Ted told the kids that it (meaning the wedding) was "legendary." I might be wrong, but I'm not sure Ted or Future Ted has ever used that term before.

Again, these things might mean nothing. But part of why I love How I Met Your Mother is because when you look at the entire series it's got Shakespearean qualities to it. Obviously everyone's hoping that next week it doesn't turn into a Shakespearean tragedy type of story, however remember what Marshall told Lilly last night..."real life can be messy."
Flag
I also caught on to the "legendary" comment...if "legendary" means NOT real, then the final comment in the episode has to have more meaning...there will be a final plot twist to the series....it's driving me crazy! The whole series is yes, based on how Ted obviously met the mother of his children...buuuuut, it's continually regarding his love for Robin...were all these years of the NON STOP emphasis about Ted and Robin a waist?!?! HIMYM is my all time favorite show, but damn, I might be frustrated to the point of no return lol.
Flag
I know! I was so annoyed by that "legendary" comment...do they not get married after all? Was that the "dream wedding" that was supposed to happen, but in fact Robin does run away or something? My dad has been convinced this entire season that somehow Ted and Robin end up together...I sincerely hope that's not true.
Flag
My honest opinion is that him calling it legendary refers to the fact that the marriage breaks up at some point. The week prior we saw that Future Robin was calling on the radio complaining about her husband, which is also a clue. Honestly I think the finale will wrap up him meeting the mother, and then will include something either set in 2030 (the "present day" in a sense) or perhaps even further into the future.
Flag
awful show
Flag
Excellent analysis, that.
Flag
yes it is
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Just a few things to say:
- Apparently the writers are going to bring Ted and Robin's relationship till the end which is very annoying.
- I actually enjoyed Lily and Marshal although it was kinda cheesy.
- I love Patrice too, she's just so sweet.
As a whole I enjoyed the episode more than I was expecting and I'm really hoping for a happy ending.
Flag
the final slap and the ring bear were perfect. i enjoyed the episode and i'm confident the finale will make water come out of my face eyes
Flag
the best compliment i can give this show...

"the show not only made me want but rather strive to be a better friend, husband and father..."

thanks for the 10 years HYMIM...
Flag
i was crying at the end of the episode... that in itself defines the awesomeness of this show...
Flag
What about Lily and Marshall's bet?? 'Not yet!'
Flag
While I've had no problems with the relationship I've seen Ted share with the Mother in flash-forwards this season, in fact, it seems quite cute, genuine, and loving, the series really did dig itself into a corner with its concept in the end. I just have no context or investment in Ted's relationship with the Mother whatsoever, whereas his relationship with Robin, even though we've know from the start she would never me the Mother, is the one I want to see!

A lot of people make jokes about how boring and/ or annoying Ted is, particularly for a main character of a series (myself among them), but the fact of the matter is that he's also probably the nicest and most caring character we've seen on television for a long time. Some may argue that his tracking down the locket was just in his sweet nature, but for me it was clearly a sweeping romantic gesture. I know Robin's with Barney, and Ted will meet the Mother next week, but it just really befuddles me that the writers even decided to go down the path of making Ted and Robin a couple at all, let alone drag it out for several seasons, when this was always going to be the outcome. It sort of makes everything that's happened between them feel a bit cheap and pointless in my opinion.
More+
Flag

Out of every failed relationship, we learn more about who we are and what we want. We can look at their relationship as a failure, or we can see that because it happened, they were able to learn truths about themselves vital to discover what/who they really want. Nothing is a waste of time if it adds to the person that you are.

But in the context of a sitcom, this does sorta feel out of place, only on HIMYM would it work.

Flag
I actually understand now why the writers focused so much on Ted's relationship with Robin and how it parallels the Mother's relationship with her dead ex boyfriend. Max was the love of the Mother's life and her risidual feelings for him dictated every relationship she had. When her last ex proposed, she said no because no matter how much she wanted to move on, she couldn't. That's the same scenario with Ted and Robin. Robin was the first love interest Ted had (at least in the show, not in Ted's life) and she set the bar and was the gold standard by which Ted measured the feelings of the women in his life. I eagerly await the next episode, because, from what we've seen in the flash forwards, Ted sees the mother performing and most likey makes the connection that the woman who sang that beautiful song in the 200th episode was her, but it's apparently the Mother who chases after him to the platform.
Flag
actually, the mother said no because she was finally ready to move on. she was in that relationship because it was comfortable, there was no risk of getting hurt like she had before. She wasn't in love with her boyfriend and she didn't marry him because she decided she wanted to fall in love again, she was ready to take that risk.
Flag
You said exactly what I was thinking. I love Ted and Robin together but I just don't see the point of bringing the topic of them as couple considering the outcome.
Flag
Did anyone notice that the mother was, and will be wearing purple in the finale. And as I recall, purple is not the best color for Ted as opposed to yellow. I know that she is the Mother and Ted will end up with her, but maybe there's a few more bumps on the road for Ted?
Any color theorists out there?
Flag
Maybe yellow doesn't completely signify Ted's love like we thought. Maybe the color purple signifies 'The One' (like that scene when Barney gave Robin the paper flowers) while yellow signifies the possibility? Idk, do you remember when Ted was getting back on his feet at one point (I think after telling Robin he loved her?) when every woman on the street had a yellow umbrella? That scene threw me for a loop because with Ted, that color always represented the mother, not all the fish in the sea.
Flag
I think I see your point, one of the most popular analysis on color emphasizes Ted&Robin wore purple when they were together, and maybe that was because for Ted Robin was the one...
Flag
All good, but I do not like how the Mother acts just like Ted. Have you noticed that she is mirroring his behavior? I get that the producers want to show that she and Ted have a lot in common, but I'd prefer to see a personality, not a "Ted in a skirt".
Flag
Totally. It makes Ted a narcissist to marry a woman who is so much like him. It's one thing to have something in common with your partner, it's another to have them be your long-lost sister.
Flag
Long lost sister made me laugh LOL!! So true.
Flag
Yeah, that detective comment was too much. We already know she's the mother, we don't need her to act EXACTLY like Ted. It's annoying because all I keep thinking now is Likes repel. Why can't she just act like the dream girl that Ted's been talking about the entire time? Ted's always had REALLY specific characteristics for his 'One' so there's a ton of material for the writer's to go on, she doesn't need to be Ted 2.0.
Flag
are you sure a lot of ppl dislike Barney? I, for one, am not one of them, I'm not his biggest fan but I dislike Lilly & Marshall, actually I hate Marshall cuz I find him dumb as rock, however this gang rocks even though I don't like ALL of them, anyone else agrees? I'm not trashing the show, just pointing out my opinion, in case some of you dislike my saying
Flag
Now this looks very much as though they meet at the party and not at the station.

Flag
You now they occasionally shoot and photograph behind the scenes. Plus, she's not wearing the purplish dress.
Flag
They are known for steering us in the wrong direction every time. This was in the promo for next week, the series finale, and they might be doing it for the last time. But why?
Flag
This is a screenshot from one of the behind-the-scenes videos, not a promo for the series finale.
Flag
I do not disagree with you at all, we were just differing on wording: if a photo/screenshot from a behind-the-scenes video that is on the promo is part of the promo.
Flag
Yes, but you can see in that clip that they're mixing parts of the episode with candid behind-the-scenes moments.
Flag
Ok, but I took it (as a snapshot) from the promo of the series finale.

Flag
The next episode FINALLY (hopefully!) lives up to the name of the show and the premise that we've been waiting for for NINE YEARS...omfg...

The slap bet ends....wow...felt anti-climatic...(I guess I thought it'd be a gift or something at the reception...) but its good to end it there....

WTF with all the blue screen cameos? I know it saves money and time with the actors but seriously it would've been awesome to hear some words from Barney's parents (especially his dad), and because others brought it up Robin's sis being a bridesmaid would've made sense.

So did anyone notice Barney immediately broke his vow? He lied about the gorilla... :/

Man...is it me or has Marshall lost and gained A LOT of weight in the past week? :p

I look forward to next week, but a part of me is gonna wonder if they're gonna try to pull out the rug from under us again like in bad news...just have a major plot twist that will leave us speechless and maybe sad? It goes against tv show logic/rules since they usually do happy endings in sitcoms but what if they do a last minute shocker that saddens us...(what if our fears concerning the mom come to pass?)
More+
Flag
They missed the boat a bit with Robin's sister but apparently the actress who played her sister was not available to tape more episodes (hence her not being shown as a bridesmaid).
As for Barney talking with his parents, would there have been a point? We really have not seen him much with his dad, and Loretta can't really seem to make relationships work (though she is trying again with James' dad) but I don't think she has ever been married. I don't think either could have gotten through to Barney with the vows like Lily and Marshall's vow renewal did.
Flag
Robin and her sister are more like brothers than sisters.
Flag
Thumbs up for lying about the gorilla and for the blue-screen cameos, both were on my mind when they came up.
Flag
last slap will come at the wedding

( oh my god i was right .last slap came in church)
Flag
Woah.
Flag
I don't believe a word of what Ted said when he said he doesn't love her anymore. Of course he still loves her, he's Ted. He was just saying it because he's a good friend and doesn't want to ruin the wedding, and he's been left at the altar before and doesn't want to do that to Barney. Don't kid yourselves into thinking Ted and Robin are over, there's still an hour long episode left and a hundred different things that could happen. Maybe they are over, but as we all know this show is never what it seems. They aren't over until the show is over and they aren't together.
Flag
Which will happen next week, when the show will be over and they won't be together.
Flag
He never said he didn't love her, just that he didn't love her "like that" anymore.
Flag
im interested to see how ted gets the black eye he has when he meets the mother on the platform....if i remember corectly that is lol
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members