A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

How I Met Your Mother S09E12: "The Rehearsal Dinner"

Well, shit if that wasn't delightful. 

Barney Stinson is hardly a stranger to elaborate and over-the-top plans—one is, after all, the reason Robin and Barney are even engaged right now—but not once during "The Rehearsal Dinner" did I consider the idea that he was playing Robin again. It might be the lasting remnants of a Thanksgiving hangover that clouded my eyes, but it might also be that I had no reason to believe Barney wasn't the kind of guy who'd fixate on an idea so much that he'd eventually run it into the ground. That was the entire point of "Mom and Dad" a couple of weeks ago. Plus, the dude really likes laser tag. 

Oh sure, I knew something was up after that ridiculous laser tag sign was hung on the building, but I didn't see him importing the best of Canada for Robin either (hi, Alan Thicke!). In fact, I was pretty convinced that Robin actually had planned a surprise laser tag rehearsal dinner and kept waiting for her to reveal her master plan just as Barney would inevitably accept that he once again let his overactive imagination and obsession with laser tag ruin a pretty important key to the wedding puzzle. In short: I was ready for the show to make Barney a childish little boy and to keyboard smash the hell out of this episode.

The sad thing is, is that I wouldn't have been at all surprised if the above scenario had happened. The way Barney and Robin were written at the beginning of Season 9 was absolutely frustrating. Their storylines weren't funny and their jokes were cringe-inducing. Every other week they were doubting whether or not they should be getting married. They were relegated to a separate storyline every week and didn't interact much with the rest of the gang, which really made each episode suffer a bit. I was ready to protest the series like a weird follower of Ted's college radio personality Doctor X. 

But then something strange happened: the series remembered everything that made Robin and Barney work as a couple and since "The Lighthouse," they've more or less been the couple that I've always rooted for. But I won't lie and say that I don't worry every week that these funny and heartwarming episodes have just been a fluke. Every week I pray that the writers will refrain from doing something to ruin Barney and Robin for me. 

Which is why the reveal that Barney was playing Robin again made me so damn happy. Even if I should have seen it coming long before I actually did. Only the man who'd concoct an elaborate scheme in order to win back Robin's heart and propose would also concoct and fully commit to a plan as ridiculous as the surprise Canadian rehearsal dinner covered up by a silly obsession with a surprise laser tag rehearsal dinner, and that's why it worked. Barney loves Robin enough to fully commit to these crazy schemes that take months of build up and planning. Thank God we only have to wait 30 minutes for them to unfurl.

After having watched Barney and rest of the gang rattle off Canada jokes for so long that a man and woman got engaged, had a child, watched that child graduate from college, and then mourn the loss of the child's father in the background of the scene, Barney understood Robin well enough to know that being in Canada on her wedding day really would have meant a lot to her. By bringing it to her instead, the series executed yet another emotionally heartwarming episode, complete with over-the-top Barney and a butt joke that you can't even pretend you didn't laugh at. 

Oh sure, I could ask the obvious questions, like "How did Robin get into that fake room without noticing an entire ice rink?" Or "Wasn't homegirl freeeeeezing in that strapless dress?"  But I won't nitpick, because I thoroughly enjoyed "The Rehearsal Dinner" once Barney revealed his master plan and neither of those things actually bother me enough to take away from the sentiments of the episode. In fact, I don't really have any complaints about the episode. It hit all my checkmarks for a great and fun episode of How I Met Your Mother. It had a lot of heart. It made me laugh. It moved the main story along. It featured an acceptable amount of Marshall. Neil Patrick Harris played the funny, the extravagant, and the emotional better than anyone could have hoped for. And it involved puppies and the aforementioned butt joke. Seriously, the only downside of this episode, is that its happiness has to last until the next new episode on December 16. Because I'm not sure I can wait that long.

NOTES

- Lily finally told Ted and Robin about Marshall taking the judge position. No doubt this will be more fully discussed in the next new episode when Marshall arrives at the wedding.

- Barney's really bad ideas: Gluten-free edible panties, hot dog on a stick on a bun, inflatable sex toy life raft, the breast augmentation channel, single-malt scotch tape, and running for mayor.

- "Every now and then I am going to lie to you. I just am. If it's in the interest of an amazing surprise, that is." Would you grow tired of these pranks? Or do you love the idea?

- The ongoing gag of Ted dressed as Liberace might be my new favorite thing.

- Wayne Brady as Robin Sparkles deserves way more screen time.

- I beg you to go back and watch that final scene where Barney is rattling off all the great things Canada has done and just pay close attention to the background. You'll be glad you did.

(Credit for the GIF)

thekaitling:list:himym-how-do-you-feel-about-the-rehearsal-dinner/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

111 Comments
Comments (111)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
was i the only one who thought she wouldve had too cross the ice rink to get into the fake office -_-
Flag
Once again, Barney is a horrible person to Robin and she - as well as the audience, as far as the writers are hoping - just accepts it as a good thing when it is "romantic". My sister made an "awwww" noise when the big reveal came up as I was rolling my eyes and voicing my annoyance. I think this was specifically made to be a girlie episode in that respect, but I guarantee you ladies if your significant other actually behaved this way you'd get utterly sick of it, and if it was during your wedding's rehearsal dinner you'd be fuming mad.

Edible panties are already gluten-free usually. I guarantee you there is someone out there who would eat a corndog on a bun. Having seen a video of a breast augmentation, I can assure you nobody would be aroused by watching that all day* (*rule 34 notwithstanding). There is no point to single-malt scotch tape, but they sell duct tape with Hello Kitty on it so there's no reason that wouldn't work too, scotch tape even has a specific aroma that can be changed for this use.
Flag
Staff
Highlight from this good and vintage HIMYM episode: Robin in a Gold Dress

Flag
Enough with the Canada jokes, it has gone way past the point of diminishing returns
Flag
Not the best episode, but not the worst, either.
Flag
"Funny & extravagant" Yes, Barney doesn't need to be a sex-womanizer to be amazing.
Also, I really liked this episode. Robin & Barney are one of my favorite couples, & I love them because they just say FUCK IT, so watching them like this, YES. Hope ALL the remaining episodes just go upward.
Flag
Despite how hard the show tries to make me think otherwise: I've never liked Barney and Robin as a couple. I probably never will. Barney and Robin have no chemistry. When Ted and Robin were together, I actually felt like they had a connection and cared about each other. I don't get that same sense about Robin and Barney. I wish HIMYM would stop trying so hard with Barney and Robin, it feels so forced. I'm sorry this post is so forced, but I've been holding this in since Robin just magically decided she was still in love with Barney.
Flag
You are absolutely right, the writers have convoluted Robin into being into Barney just to simplify storytelling, in no way does it feel organic to either character.
Flag
Edit: I'm sorry this post is so negative, not so forced.
Flag
I liked this episode, despite the fact that they were standing in an ice rink the whole time and Robin didn't know it. That was a bit of a stretch, and despite what some people are saying in the comments below, as I sit here wrapped in a heated blanket, I can assure you that just because you're Canadian, it doesn't mean you can stand in an ice rink wearing a strapless dress and not be cold. The only fellow Canadians that I know who are warm all the time are menopausal women and fat people.

I have to point out to everyone complaining about the lack of the mother, that if you think the show isn't funny now, it's going to become far less funny when she takes the stage full time. What I have always loved about the show, and what has made it funny for me, is that all of the characters are imperfect to some degree or another, and the show has been really good about making fun of their imperfections and the situations they get themselves into. Now let's look at what we've seen of the mother so far - well she's already been built up to be the most perfect being by Ted through the years of narrarations. And what we've seen in the past few episodes is that she is just SO sweet and SO smart and SO down to earth and SO kind and gives SUCH good advice and makes SUCH good cookies and on and on and on. Adding this perfect person to the character roster is going to be the opposite of funny you guys. Add to that, Ted will be going on and on about how in love he is and how he wants to make babies with her and blahblahblah. God almighty I am dreading it, seriously. I truly hope they plan to make her a "real" person, find some of her imperfections and get us to laugh a little bit. Is it going to be sweet and heartwarming? Sure. But will anything she do or say be funny? Hell no! I am counting on the remaining characters continuing to do what they do and be who they are to douse out some of the pukefest that is headed our way.
More+
Flag
I think Robin didn't notice the cold because of her Canadian blood. It has been established that it takes really cold temperatures to freeze her.
Flag
So is it set, that how I met your father will not be the mothers side of the story? Because there is no way they could make a satisfying finale here in 10 episodes. Is he really just gonna meet here? Oo
Flag
They've already said we're going to meet the people in this show but they will be an unrelated storyline. I honestly think that's it. Despite what I would like to see happen, I think the final scene in the series finale is going to be Ted meeting her and then Bob Saget's voice being voice-overed panning to the kids on the couch saying "And that kids is how I met your mother." Fade to black.
Flag
I must say they got me for a while. At one moment I actually did believe this would be yet another episode in which Barney and Robin would be questioning their relationship, but it was about something different.
I really expect the next episode to be fantastic. We know that we'll see The Mother again, plus there won't be another one until the midst of January, so we could see some cliffhanger as well
Flag
a good episode in a terrible season with 90% filler content
Flag
I´ve always loved Robin and Barney as a couple, but sadly this episode felt SOOOO filler to me...
Flag
Also, robin is Canadian...she's used to being cold
Flag
Barney actually does ask "why is it so cold in here, are you trying to get me to talk?" Right at the beginning, so I'm assuming that Robin is just so mad that she just is ignoring the cold.
Flag
I thought this was a very good episode, especially with Barney surprising Robin with a Canada themed rehearsal dinner at the end. I was a bit underwhelmed with the beginnning of the episode, due to Barney's incessant pestering of the laser tag themed rehearsal dinner and I thought Robin was going to turn around and give in (or surprise him with one) but I liked how in the end it was Barney who surprised her. For most of their engagement, it has been shown that Robin has been willing to give in and allow Barney to have whatever he wants, so it was nice to see her get something that she really wanted. I am also glad that they have stopped with the constant doubt of whether they are making the right choice about marriage. I know that people get cold feet before getting married, but I don't see how anyone having that many doubts would ever make it to the altar. The Lily/Marshall storyline got a little boost from Lily letting Ted and Robin know about Marshall taking the judge position, and I liked how Ted was supportive of Lily. Her and Marshall have always been supportive of each other, and for him to make such a huge decision without consulting her first (although in his defense he had to make the choice on the spot) has got to be incredibly tough for her to deal with. It will be interesting to see what they are able to work out. Best part of the episode was Ted dressed as Liberace and falling on his face ice skating. Overall an enjoyable episode.
More+
Flag
In case Kaitlin doesn't mention it, the reason to watch the last part (besides Ted with the piano), is the guys in the center of the ring, playing hockey with a wig. Earlier in the ep when Barney tries to grill Ted (screaming Theodore in his face), Ted mentions they're going to have a nice dinner, and if Robin's aunt gets drunk enough she'll take off her wig and they'll play hockey with it. Adding to the great completely random gag happening in the background of the bar as the guys made fun of Canada. I loved this ep because I do root for Barney and Robin, but the background silliness really clinched it for me.
Flag
There was also skating moose.
Flag
thank you for telling me to rewatch that last part with Ted and the piano, I heard the laughters but didn't bother to check. Totally worth it!
Flag
Solid episode. It made me laugh, so thats good enough for me.

HIMYM likes to rip on Canada, but they try to point out the good as well. Gotta love the friendly rivalry with our neighbours to the south, its always in good fun.

2 small nitpicks tho, 1) Ted was wearing hockey skates instead of figure skates. It is next to impossible to figure skate using hockey skates. 2) Canada has given the world way more impressive people than that list Barney went through.
Flag
I agree I was a little sad about the list as well.
Flag
after last week's filler episode, watching The Rehearsal Dinner was like meeting an old dear friend and striking a jackpot of gold. LOVED it
Flag
I forgot to mention this in my earlier comment, but does anyone else think that maybe Robin will meet the Mother in the next episode? After all, we already know she's playing bass for Robin and Barney's wedding, so it would make sense to speak with the bride and/or groom beforehand.
Flag
Either Robin or Marshall. She needs to meet them all before Ted(I think) and there are two more episodes until that happens.
Flag
Did Walt Disney write this episode, because this felt like every Disney movie that came out past 2000. It was completely unbelievable the ending, and I agree with the other comments, I just don't believe Barney and Robin as a couple...I understand that one person might understand one's faults, but Robin just seems too repulsed by Barney's antics for it to be believable.
Flag
I think this episode and this season is great. I know there's a lot of fans complaining about the series to an extent that they hate what the show has turned in to, that they don't see enough of the mother and there is too much focus on Barney and Robin. I disagree.

How I see it, is that they are allowing the show to a good end where we are able to say goodbye to the 5 main characters (which does not include the mother). I do get that the show is about the mother and I do really enjoy the episodes she's in, but I think she's used in just the right amount as of now. If she was used in every episode everyone would complain about Ted not meeting her, and truth be told I don't think they would be able to pull it off. For the show to be too much about Barney and Robin doesn't put me off either, as they are the ones getting married and I think its really well thought out that Ted meets the mother at their wedding. Also, they are finally together and they deserve that screen time, since they are 2 out of 5 of the main characters, and now that you know about the mother I believe nobody would be satisfied to see Ted keep going down that same old dating road he's been on for years. Plus just consider how much the show has been about Lily & Marshall's relationship in the past. Character development is so important in storytelling, and this season happens to be focused on Barney and Robin.. which will lead to happiness for Ted. No complaints here!

I actually pride the writers about taking on the challenge of creating 24 episodes about 3 days. I don't believe any other show would be able to pull that off. People complaining makes me sad sometimes. They are showing us new sides of the characters and letting us know that they will be okay after the season is finished. I think that's pretty amazing. In my personal opinion the writers/cast & crew deserve more than hateful criticism that the show usually receives via the internet (especially FB), as they have brought us a lot of great material and visual content of the last years. I believe people just expect too much or just have scenarios in their mind, and when the material does not fit they are upset and it leads them to overlook the good parts about the new setting.

Of course, I like some episodes better than others, but overall I've really enjoyed the new direction of the show. If the season wasn't about the wedding weekend it would be just like any other season, and people would complain about the fact that Ted needs to just meet her already and it is getting old. The last season deserves to stand out from the rest, and with the clever use of flashbacks they even manage to connect it to the structure of previous seasons.

I'm a big fan of (visual) storytelling and HIMYM does it like no other. It has its own unique way with the flashback/flash forward structure and the comments from 'Future' Ted retelling the stories of his past. I for one will miss this structure and all the potential that it has. I mean look what they've done with it: the yellow umbrella, the clues about the mother, Farhampton station, the set-up/reveal of this wedding in season 6/7, the mother meeting Barney and the list goes on and on.. it's amazing that they are able to make everything fit together so perfectly.

This episode also shows us once again how this structure can work out, and reminds us of the time that the writers had us fooled for half a season (!!) about Barney's proposal to Robin in season 8. I mean in this environment nowadays I can imagine its incredibly hard to think of something unique and unpredictable. I don't think anyone could have really predicted this Canadian lovefest hidden by a childish lasertag rehearsal dinner dream, which for me made everything up to that pretty damn clever, and funny too!

Comedy series like The Big Bang Theory are funny, sure. However they don't have the heart that How I Met Your Mother has. It's rare that a comedy series makes you care so much about character development and all that it entails and therefore I'm going to treasure all the moments that we have left with these characters!
More+
Flag
Great point. I agree!
Flag
Speaking as a Canadian, Robin could totally pull off a strapless dress in an ice rink. Here in Canada we go to the ice rink in winter to warm up, lol.
Flag
I didn't even know ice rinks were cold... Not Canadian though, but Norwegian. Same temperature tolerance.
Flag
O ya. Also speaking as a Canadian, I have gone to the rink in shorts and a t-shirt and watched an entire hockey game. So Robin probably didn't even notice the cold.
Flag
Thirding this. After years of going to games and even a year of flooding the ice (ZAMBONI!), I don't find it cold. It's not like it's outside. The temperature is a little chilly but you could easily be comfy in a t-shirt and Robin is even more immune to cold than the average (although I gotta say, Vancouver isn't that cold. It would clinch it if she was from Edmonton. Or Calgary...they had the Olympics, surely Americans would know that city.)
Flag
Also add to the background watch: when the gang was telling all those Canada jokes. Almost Community-ish but too simple and I doubt anyone missed it.
Flag
When I saw this episode begin, I saw Cristin Miloti's name in the opening credits and thought: OMG FINALLY...We're going to see 'the mother' in a 'Maclarens Bar'-era setting...Only that wasn't to be...So I thought to myself 'ok, the mother was in the opening credits, so she has to play at least some role in this episode!', only, she didn't.

Even without the mother, that was actually credited in the opening but didn't appear, this episode was average, at best...Hell, I'd go so far as to say that I've enjoyed the Farhampton filler episodes, more than this one!

Sure, the ultimate reveal was a quote-unquote 'surprise' but anyone who was watched this show, knew that the ultimate reveal was coming, a mile away.

Overall, The only thing that saved this episode, in my opinion, were the cheesy, typical rants and jokes...Beyond that, NOTHING about this episode, is worth praising, let alone redeeming.

Bottom line: I hated it so much that I wanted to watch the series all over again, to relive its glory days!!!!!
Flag
Because she's listed as a main character this season, her name appears in the credits for each episode, which in a way is nice, since it keeps us guessing over whether or not she'll appear.
Flag
Staff
Milioti's name appears because she's contractually a series regular, not necessarily because she appears in each episode.
Flag
**Correction: Milioti (Can't believe I forgot an 'i'!!)
Flag
up until the very end, I saw this as just another silly filler episode. If anything I thought it showed cracks starting to form in Barney and Robins relationship. But just like the episode with the proposal, the last few minutes made the episode.

I was waiting for James to perform since the season opener and I thought it was great that he had the Robin Sparkle's half. It made me wonder though if Glitter is going to return at some point.
Flag
I would love the constant surprises and over the top craziness.
I also agree that Wayne Brady as Robin Sparkles deserves way more screen time.
Flag
I actually enjoyed this one too!

How I Met Your Mother has changed, and it has had disappointing seasons, but to me, this shows the show at it's best. People complaining about Barney bordering on sociopathic aren't necessarily wrong, but he has ALWAYS been this way, only worse. So, I'm okay with the sweet twisty surprises!

Lily not keeping her friend's secret who was pregnant, divorcing, caught her husband sleeping with the MAN who was the baby's father was funny. It was outrageous, but I still enjoyed it.

The puppies and the butt joke. Yeah. I didn't expect it.

And I'm with you Kaitlin. Maybe HIMYM has been so predictible the last few years that it was something we just expected to be let down about. We expected Barney to be selfish and do the laser tag rehearsal dinner (the ice sign at the door pointing 6 miles the other way made me chuckle) was something they have lazily done in the past. Instead, the pleasant rehearsal dinner FOR ROBIN surprise was something that I really enjoyed. It made me happy.

I didn't think about her being cold, because this wa the girl who would walk around in the snow eating ice cream with Marshall without a coat on. She's from CANADA!!!

I did miss the mother, and marshall, but only for a passing second. I also liked the Ted and Lily scene where he let her in on the secret.

And personally, I would want a man who wants to surprise me. I mean, they don't have to be so out there, but that is part of what she loves about him, so he should always do it!
More+
Flag
- I beg you to go back and watch that final scene where Barney is rattling off all the great things Canada has done and just pay close attention to the background. You'll be glad you did.

I am assuming I was supposed to see Ted playing the piano going by? That was kinda funny
Flag
More than likely you were supposed to see a group of characters playing hockey with appeared to me to be a wig (?)...one of which was dressed like a moose. This episode had a lot going on the background (the couple in the bar scene).
Flag
I hate the schemes involving Barney and Robin's relationship cause they are always ridiculous and sometimes even cruel.
Flag
Great episode but there are no excuses for an ice rink appearing out of nowhere , even more if the Laser Tag is in the middle of the rink
Flag
I used to love this show so much, probably the first 4 or 5 seasons then somehow it became just watchable and it has been that way with me since. I think my greatest problem is Barney and Robin doesn't work as a couple for me. I love Neil Patrick Harris, he is funny and commits to anything and i can watch the guy all day but since he and Robin became a couple I just feel like something is missing from him. The Barney we love is the one with the stories ( True Story) and says Legen ..wait for it.. dary. Now even though he is still funny, all the stuff he is doing with Robin is just not that funny imo.
I also think the show has focused a bit more on Neil Patrick harris because of his talent and he tends to get more screen time and somehow that might be putting people off the show. Most of my friends and myself are only watching the show just to finish it off and conclude what we have been doing for the last 8 years. It will be a shame for us not to know how it all ends. Frankly we have just had about enough and i know we are definitely not going to be watching the spin off!!!
More+
Flag
you forget she's canadian thus doesnt feel like cold like the others do. (according to himym) awesome episode barney was the best
Flag
Yeah, she and Marshall used to walk around in the winter eating ice cream without jackets!
Flag
How I met your mother has frustrated me so much these past two series with where they're going with Barney and robin even what should be a sweet episode there's a nagging feeling it's leading to something bigger that's going to stop them getting married and I'd be okay with that if we hadn't spent season 5-7 proving how good they are together and now they get engaged and suddenly the couple seem to contradict the couple we routed for. I'm really hoping they turn it around and end on a happy note for the couple but even though I've read they will get married I'm not so sure now.
Flag
I guess I was supposed to think the "reveal" at the end was sweet, but I hated it because the whole thing just reinforced the fact that Barney borders on sociopath and the show (and me) is better off when the extremes of his personality is not explored and he is instead just there being himself. If you start thinking about why someone would be like that, treat women like that, the answers would creep me out, anyway.

But I don't want to go on and just be negative. Curious to see what others think of this episode, including Kaitlin. It was BY FAR better than last week which was a joke and an embarrassment. In the end, Robin seems to still love Barney and lot and I guess that matters a lot more than what I think about it. I really want happiness for Robin as the show limps off into the sunset, so at least there's that, though not the way I would have wanted.
Flag
The twist at the end was really sweet. It really made up for an otherwise meh episode. As I got really annoyed with Barney constantly talking about Laser Tag Rehearsal Dinner, although it turned out to be part of the whole charade anyway. I just kinda want to see more of the mother though, every time she is in an episode it's brilliant, and she's been used only three times! Still though, it wasn't bad.
Flag
like almost every episode since the 4th season, it made me wanna puke... what the hell happened to this show?? i'm just sticking with it out of loyalty and respect for the brilliant show it once was 6 seasons ago but do people actually still enjoy this? are people unaware of what good comedy is or will they just laugh at anything with a laughtrack??
Flag
You should watch the old episodes again. They're not much better. I rewatched seasons 1 - 5 recently, and really, the humour is the same. It was just fresher when you first saw it, because it was new, but now they're on season 9, so of course people might be tired of the humour.
Flag
Yes, people are still enjoying this. I know i still am. You know you can google for the episode recap right? since its the final season, losing any audience is no longer a concern for the network anyways.
Flag
No loyalty as well...

And the occasional hope that it will return to the good days of the past.

And that I want to see how it ends, but man is it painful at times.
Flag
I'll say one thing, Ted skates EXACTLY like Liberace!
Flag
If it was a rehearsal dinner, prank or not, shouldn't the rest of the main wedding party be involved? Where was Conroy, Lithgo, Vereen, etc.? Who were these people in the background that have never had anything to do with these characters and, if relatives, shouldn't they be more engaged with Robin and Barney? They make the whole wedding less believable. It's like a soap opera where they do weddings and funerals filled with extras never seen before and never seen again. It bugged me the whole episode.
Flag
Well, rehearsal dinners are for anyone. Sure, the parents should have been there, but that is a lot of cost for the actors to not do anything else. Can't you just pretend you just didn't see them?
Flag
No. The writers/producers should have accounted for this season, if having the family members on, they should have realized they needed to be on a regular basis, particularly for episodes where they would likely/realistically be involved in some way or another. It's another example of how this season's premise is a creative failure overall.

It;s not just that they were missing, it's that they also have all these other people that are meaningless to us, as they have never been involved with the main cast of characters who all along never really indicated they had all these other friends and family.
Flag
I disagree. First, the episode largely showed flashbacks and Barney and Robin arguing in a room. I wouldn't want to waste the talents of John Lithgow or Frances Conroy on a scene where we see them in the background. They have shown tons of random friends throughout the series, from the annual Halloween party to the interventions. Because none of them had speaking lines, I just never thought much about it.
Flag
I'm thinking mading a basic post saying this, because really... This series is "How I met your mother" not "How uncle Barney and aunt Robin got married".... I'm tired of this, guys, seriously....
Flag
There was nearly a season about Marshall and Lily's wedding and the prep for it, so I think this is fine. There is enough side episodes that make sense.
Flag
Because Ted meets the Mother at their wedding. And as we all well know, future Ted loves to fill in the unnecessary gaps.
Flag
Staff
To be fair, the series has always been as much about Robin, Barney, Marshall and Lily as it has been about Ted and his long-winded story about meeting the mother.
Flag
Mehhh.
Flag
Enjoyed the episode but ummmmmm, how did Robin get into that room in the middle of an ice rink without noticing anything? i know he mentioned giant laser tag sign but....its probably better if i dont think it through too much
Flag
I was not a fan of the episode until the end. Then as a canadian I LOVED it. Best part was the skating moose.
I must say I also really like the happy family aging montage in the background of the group telling their candaian jokes.
Flag
I didn't mind it, per se, but I'm getting really sick of not having the Mother in episodes. I'm looking forward to the next one (or so I hope from the title), and the one from her view.

Other than that, I thought it was cute that Barney actually surprised Robin with the Canada theme (esp since I live in Canada and love *most* of the Canada-related humor.. seriously, that scene where Barney is in Tim Hortons is amazing). I like that Lily finally brought up that Marshall took the judgeship without asking her and actually told Robin and Ted what was wrong. I was hoping we would get to see some of Marshall's attempt to walk 5 miles in the dark with a baby, but alas... next week, I suppose.

Other than that, it was okay and it had some funny moments.
Flag
Getting kinda bored of the Barney tricking Robin episodes
Flag
This was actually a good episode and a nice twist at the end, M. Night Shyamalan take note
Flag
when are they going to do a PLL reunion with ashley benson as Barney's sister and ,lucy hale as robin sister?
Flag
So during the pub scenes, was that the Mother in the background doing various characters?
Flag
It was a random couple getting engaged, having a baby, celebrating the kid graduating, to illustrate how long the jokes about canada were.
Flag
No. Just a random couple getting older.
Flag
Good episode (this show can make good ones in its sleep), but yet another in the long line of "where's this going?" until the last few minutes. And no Marshall still :/
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Bachelorette
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Mistresses Blurred Lines
    NEW
    ABC