A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

With almost a full week left to go before How I Met Your Mother returns for the final leg of its nine-season marathon of love, now is the perfect time to look back at the first eight-and-a-half years of Ted's journey and fondly recall some of his and the gang's greatest adventures. So let's do exactly that! I've gone ahead and selected my 10 favorite episodes from the show's catalog of more than 200—some made the list because of their legendary antics, some earned a spot because they still make me laugh even after multiple viewings, and some weaseled their way in because they packed a a memorable gut punch. While they aren't necessarily HIMYM's all-time top 10 best episodes, they're the ones that stand out to me as classics I'll never grow tired of. But since my list is bound to look different than yours, go ahead and share your own in the comments!

"The Pineapple Incident" (Season 1, Episode 10)

Seriously, where did it come from? 

"Swarley" (Season 2, Episode 7)

"No more "Swarley!" No "Swarles!" No more "Swar-LAY!" No more "Swar—wait for it—LEE!" No more "Bob Swarleyman!" No more! No! It's over! Do you understand?"

"Slap Bet" (Season 2, Episode 9)

Not only did it introduce us to the Slap Bet, it also gave us our first glimpse of Robin Sparkles. Remember, the '80s didn't come to Canada 'til like, '93.

"Arrivederci, Fiero" (Season 2, Episode 17)

Featuring the introduction of zitch dog and Marshall's love for The Proclaimers' "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)." Also, we learned that Barney can't drive.

"The Bracket" (Season 3, Episode 14)

The gang's own version of March Madness.

"Intervention" (Season 4, Episode 4)

"I do not like that stupid hat, I want to beat it with a bat. Or maybe stab it with a fork, it makes you look like such a dork."

"Girls Vs. Suits" Season 5, Episode 12

Neil Patrick Harris singing about suits. I'm not sure this one needs any more explanation.

"Natural History" (Season 6, Episode 8)

From Robin and Barney touching all of the museum exhibits to Ted whispering "poo poo platter" across a crowded museum, this one sticks out as one of most immature—yet still hilarious—episodes of the entire series. Also: "Oh my God, you have a monocle! Is this real? Is this really happening? Good luck killing James Bond!"

"Symphony of Illumination" (Season 7, Episode 12)

Finding out at the end of the episode that Robin couldn't have children was one of the worst/best gut punches HIMYM ever threw. Completely unexpected, and completely devastating. 

"Something New?" (Season 8, Episode 24)

And that's how we met the Mother.

Your turn! What are YOUR 10 favorite episodes of How I Met Your Mother?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

Follow this Show