A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

How I Met Your Mother S09E14: "Unpause"

As a whole, Season 9 of How I Met Your Mother has been a bit all over the place, but I don't know that a single episode has been as wibbly wobbly as "Unpause." There were several elements that worked individually—the moments involving the Mother, for instance—and then there were moments that fell flat, like the truth serum drunk bit. This was definitely a transitional episode meant to simply move the plot forward, but it was clunky. When all the pieces came together to form the whole, it felt like several different episodes were being mashed together into one, and that's never good.

The Lily and Marshall fight was something that needed to happen, something that's been brewing for months (in our time, obviously), but I'm a little put-off by Marshall suddenly bringing up the fact that Lily left him for San Francisco as if it was an excuse for what he did. As Lily said, that was seven years ago, and while I have no doubt that Marshall carries those scars with him, there's been no indication that he hasn't forgiven Lily after all this time. To bring it up now feels like an awfully cheap shot, and I'm inclined to believe Lily was right in her indignation. But there's a flip side to that where I'm equally put-off by Lily not even listening to what Marshall had to say about the judgeship. She essentially declared that her dream was more important than his, and storming off in the middle of the night—right before her best friend's wedding, too—was rather childish. Neither Lily nor Marshall was right in this instance, and nothing will be right until they actually listen to one another and have a real discussion about their future.

The episode attempted to balance the heaviness of the fight with a lighthearted storyline involving Robin and Ted playing a game of truth with Barney, who got so drunk on the night before his wedding that he essentially could not tell a lie. But it wasn't particularly funny. And not even the few sincere moments in which Barney told Ted how happy he was to be marrying Robin could make the storyline work. It felt like the series was attempting to fill in a lot of random, unnecessary backstory bits—like what Barney does for a living—with silly callbacks, but none of it felt organic. I laughed several times during the episode, but it wasn't during the game of truth. I laughed when Marshall pulled out the keepsakes from Ted's mom's house, which was probably the only callback of the entire episode that felt genuine. It wasn't all that long ago in his timeline when he picked up the mug and the photo with the balloon, so it makes sense that he'd be eager to show them off, but it's definitely been months since we last saw them and I'd almost completely forgotten about them, to be honest. 

To make clunky matters more clunky, there were the flashforwards to the Mother that didn't really tie in to either of the game of truth or the fight. Yes, Ted tried to connect them with his mother's "nothing good happens after 2am" saying (another callback that I was happy to see return), but that was the only thing they had in common. I enjoyed those scenes because they hinted at the future: Ted, the Mother, and Penny (as the episode revealed), were all at the Farhampton Inn in 2017 when the Mother went into labor with their son, who we learned was named Luke. But other than the cute, cuddly moments between husband and wife, father and daughter, and mother and children, the flashforwards didn't really jive with the rest of the episode. 

It's not that I think these individual storylines don't deserve a place in the overall HIMYM mythology (well, the truth serum drinking bit could have ended before it began and I wouldn't have cared), but since they were strung together in one episode, it felt like each one was written by a different person, with no underlying theme to bring them together. "Unpause" was definitely an episode that needed to happen in order to bridge certain plots with future episodes, but I can't help but feel as if it could've been done in a better way. The emotional aspects of Lily and Marshall's fight, along with the sweet emotions tied to the scenes involving the Mother were wonderful, but the outcome of the fight—and the sheer stupidity of the truth bit—left a sour taste in my mouth. This might be the first episode featuring the Mother that I've disliked in any real way, but I guess that was bound to happen. And even with the disconnected storytelling, I'm excited to see where we go from here, because we should be coming up on the actual wedding day kind of soon, and there's no telling what could happen.

thekaitling:list:himym-what-did-you-think-of-unpause/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

204 Comments
Comments (204)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
So nice to see Ted and his wify and his baby so happy aaaaawww
Flag
I'm sorry but I highly disagree with your review.
yes there were three stories and yes the didn't really have anything in common but I think this episode was way way better than the slap episode !!!!!
we had a warm story between ted and the mother where we got to know their children's names. then we got barney, ted and robin, who thanks to barney's drunken state, got some answers out of him that we have been waiting for such a long time (i.e. his job). And then we got lily and marshall who argue. Here I must say that I 100 % agree with marshall!!!! even though that san franciso thing was years ago marshall had the right to bring that topic up because once again lily is being selfish, so I can understand where marshall is coming from. But I agree with you that it was very childish of her to run away like that.
I love the final scene where barney talks to ted and confesses that he is so happy to marry robin. Because it shows how really broken barney has been.

Flag
This episode is PRECISELY why I am grateful for Slapsgiving III: Appointment in Slapmara. The writers gave us a quick reprieve from what was coming down the pike, and BOY did this episode hit hard. To be honest, Marshall did have a point: Lily abandoned EVERYONE for her dream to become a painter, and only returned because she sucked at it. But suppose she was successful? Marshall is right, Lily came back to New York because she didn't have anywhere else to go and it took her a few episodes to realize that Marshall is really "the One" and not just "the Safe One." So, in theory, would actually making it as an artist make Lily truly happy, or would she be rich, famous and miserable? As long as the road not taken is there, it will haunt Lily for the rest of her life and be in the back of Marshall's mind as it did now. If Lily TRUELY wants to put this behind her she should at east weigh the pros and cons of spending a year as a painter in Rome (her dream) vs Marshall becoming a judge (his dream) rather than dismissing Marshall entirely. True, I'm betting the guy who offered Marshall the job would've let Marshall have a day (or even a few hours) to discuss it with his wife, since Marshall did tell him he and Lily were planning on going to Rome, but I'm guessing the line "are you sure you want to be a judge?" probably caused Marshall to make the snap decision. Marshall is wrong for not asking for time to discuss it with his wife, but at the same time, Lily is wrong for dismissing Marshall's dreams and running away from the hotel hysterically rather than sitting down and discussing it rather than yelling. What makes matters worse is that we KNOW she's going to be coming back; she is seen dancing with Marshall at the end of "Band or DJ" when Ted meets the Mother.

SPEAKING of Ted and the Mother, it was probably the first time seeing them together was "ok" instead of "fantastic." Nothing against the actors themselves, but rather placing them in this PARTICULAR episode just seemed to make it rather disjointed, especially considering the seriousness of Marshall and Lily's fight the scene before.

Finally, Barney... Ahhh, Barney... seeing him Jabba Drunk was funny, but getting him Truth Serum Drunk was ALMOST what made this episode salvageable. I feel like they forced the humor on this, though, to balance out the Marshall/Lily drama. It's nice to finally have a LOT of questions answered (including what Barney does for a living.) and I like the Star Wars Episode 3 reference of Hippie Barney becoming Suit Barney, but the humor of this episode just doesn't work. Not when you've got a soap opera going on in the next room.

I give Marshall and Lily's plot a C and the Barney subplot a B-. I was expecting this episode to be bad, which is why I am SOOOOOO grateful that we had Slapsgiving to let us prepare for this. But I've got a LOT of high hopes for the next episode, cause it'll be Mother-centric and we FINALLY get to see what she's been doing the past 8 and a half years! It's Cristin Milioti's time to shine, and I'm gonna need to wear shades!

More+
Flag
I loved Jabba drunk Barney. Best "gimmick" Barney has had for a looooong time.
Flag
Kaitlin, you have such a strong disconnect from the majority of the viewership. You don't like it this week when we all do, and vice versa last week. Your reviews read more of a teenage groupie than someone who has an ability to evaluate the show. (cf. last week "I'd totally take a slap to the face for Neil Patrick Harris"; "if you didn't think that ending was great, then you just get out right now").

Don't quit your day job.
(and don't worry, I know I don't have to read them, and of course I'm not going to anymore)
Flag
I personally agreed with Kaitlin on both episodes. This episode felt a little bit off in timing and even the editing was rather weird. Surely its her job to illustrate that about the episode.
Flag
I thought it was a very good review and I didn't find the episode particularly funny.
Flag
Ridiculous review. This was a very good episode, totally unlike the last Slap episode which was probably the worst episode in all of How I Met your Mother.
Flag
I actually loved the parts with drunk Barney, especially about PLEASE!
Flag
This review really over-analyzes the show I think. It's a comedy, and I found it funny. Isn't that all that really matters? I enjoyed the truth serum bits. NPH is always hilarious.
Flag
I had no issues with Marshall bringing up San Francisco, because he was right. She broke up with him to go and chase her own dream, no care in the world about how Marshall felt. And Marshall was ALSO right when he asked her if she would have stayed in SF if things had worked out. Now HIS dream is coming true, and she doesn't care. She still wants to follow hers. She had her chance, now it's Marshall's turn.

I liked the Ted/Mother moments. It was nice, and gives a nice showing of things to come in their lives, things we're not going to get to see, since the show isn't "How I Met Your Mother and How We Spent the First Few Years of Marriage." So yeah, enjoyed that bit.

I have to say, I loved the drunk Barney bit. Finally finding out what he does for a living - and seeing the flash-forward of his revenge - was priceless! But the best part of it? Saying that he loves Robin, that she (to use a tired cliche) completes him, that he just wants to make her happy? That was, hands-down, the best part of the drunk Barney. I know there have been people saying that he may not really love her completely, etc., but this proved that he does.

I didn't mind the "disjointed" feel of the episode. I watched Friends from day one, and after a few seasons they had three story lines going at once per episode, so this was normal tv for me. ;)
More+
Flag
I liked the episode, too, though I do think Marshall was out of line. She was the one who helped him get through law school by working a job she tolerated, but was not her dream. And Marshall did admit when they began speaking again that they needed the time apart to figure out who they were as individuals. All in all, the decision he made without her input is something a husband or wife should discuss with their mate. Especially if it interferes with pretty heavy commitments and plans already made.

You're right about the drunk scenes too. I think Ted really needed to hear Barney tell him in earnest how he felt about Robin.

I like the fleeting glimpses of the mother and Ted as well, and I think it makes perfect sense to have them at the Farhampton Inn in the flash forwards. It represents an ending and beginning for Ted. Ted is putting on a brave face for his friends that weekend, but he is sad that the woman he believes to possibly be the love of his life is marrying one of his best friends. He plans to leave his beloved New York because of his feelings for Robin. Remember the big deal the hotel clerk made about his not really belonging there at the beginning of the season? Yet the place becomes very special to him. It's really sweet to know that something that is, despite his happiness for his friends, very sad for him personally will be the vehicle for his meeting the real love of his life. So Robin isn't the one, but it kind of brings the show full circle. Kind of a wobbly circle, but still...nice.
More +
Flag
Lily didn't put Marshall through school. His student loans did. However, Lily DID put them both into massive debt with her shopping addiction which she kept a secret for a good long while (which Marshall then had to suck up, take a job he hated in order to pay it off).

Marshall pointing out San Francisco, happened only after she was unwilling to listen to him; indignantly stated they were going to follow her dream and her dream alone; AND was only after she said she couldn't believe how selfish Marshall was being. *THAT* was the out of line comment. Not Marshall's.

Marshall's response was fair, given that people in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones, especially when on the surface, dream career vs. dream 1 year job is no comparison. I'm not even sure it can even qualify as her dream. Lily's dream was to be an artist, not buy art for a random eccentric.

Lily was in an indefensible position, and she knew it, which is why she ran out rather than try and work through it. To my memory, Marshall has never at any point been the selfish one until now, whereas there are plenty of instances where Lily has.

Don't get me wrong, Marshall shouldn't have let this situation stew for as long as it did, but that is the only thing he did wrong here. And one could argue that he wanted to have the discussion in person, which given the timeline was impossible until now.
More +
Flag
Who else almost forgot it's about Robin & Barney's wedding?
I mean, I never got married, but I doubt that 15 hours before your wedding, you're casually around a table, drinking a scotch while just having a conversation.
And the sets being the same for 15 episodes and hearing always the word "wedding", I don't even understand the meaning of them, and quite frankly, I almost forgot they were getting married.
Flag
Not I. I know it's all taking place right before the wedding.

Don't doubt things like that. I'm married, and while I didn't sit around drinking with my wife-to-be and friends before hand, my cousin did when he got married, as did a bunch of my friends. The reason I didn't was I wasn't near my wife the night before, I was about an hour and a half away from where she was, she was driving in the next morning before the wedding. Otherwise? Yeah, we would have been together, just hanging out with friends and family, the night before.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I don't even understand the meaning of them".
Flag
Yeah I didn't know how to say that.
What I mean is that after seeing so much that set and hearing so much about the "wedding", I don't even realize what that mean anymore. That set just became a regular set, the word "wedding" is just a word, and my mind doesn't think "oh yeah, they get married!" when I see that set or hear that word
Flag
Ahh, ok, I understand now. :)
Flag
The thing that bothers me is that the mother's appearances are artificial and gratuitous. It has no meaning. They just show us the mother to show us the mother. Short flash-forwards (is that a word?) having nothing to do with the episode. But we're still not moving forward in the present time...
Flag
We are moving forward in the present time. Every episode is that much closer to the wedding.

The reason that the mother was shown was to tie in to the whole "nothing good happens after 2am," but to show that good things CAN happen after 2am, like the birth of his son.
Flag
I have a feeling that the reason why some of the story lines felt odd put together is HIMYM moved up it's series end date so it's possible it really was different stories/episodes put together. It's possible at least.
Flag
I swear the only thing I'm really, like really, looking forward to is the bear. It's so silly I just wanna see it! LOL
Flag
I think Marshall pointed "you've been the selfish one here at a time, now it's my turn". Besides, this is a lifetime career vs. a single year which could end in nothing but returning home empty handed. Marshall Team!!!!
Flag
Yeah, I think he had a good point. And Lily leaving the argument because it was not going her way anymore shows it perfectly
Flag
For some reason, the 'Ted and the mother' part of today's episode seemed a little omnious to me. If the mother dies while giving birth to Luke (already there seem to be quite a few theories going around that the mother is not around when Ted's narrating), I'm sure a lot of fans will be literally heartbroken.
Flag
What the hell is that theory? The episode ends with Ted saying that the rule "Nothing good happens after 2 am has an exception" meaning that everything when ok this night. People just like to controverse.
Flag
Damn, I meant "went ok" not when
Flag
What's this theory that the mother is dead later on? Doesn't he tell Wendy the Waitress later on that he's married and has kids at the airport?
Flag
I'm pretty sure Ted wouldn't have stressed in the present that good things DO happen after 2am if the mother died that night. I know the mother being dead is a popular thoery but come on, this is not that kind of show.
Flag
It is also most likely wrong, in one of the episodes there is a flash forward to a reunion or something and older Ted, Marhall and Lilly are high from "eating sandwiches" they confiscated (they are so strong these days) , and Ted says "Where is my wife" and then starts laughing. I take it the wife is with them at this reunion, but they just got seperated... If Ted is laughing after thinking about his dead wife, even if high... is pretty awful. :)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I think Marshall and Lily's fight was a good way of adressing the indignation that fans have been feeling about Lily during the last few seasons. Some of her personal and professional decisions were kind of improvissed, just like it happened when she ran away to San Francisco. I liked the analogy, and I don't think that Marshall was showing her that her didn't forgive her, as much as the fact that she doesn't know what she's doing with her life. The fight felt odd because they didn't talk about themselves, their thoughts or expectations, as much as attacked each other and tried to impose their plans for their future. But I wouldn't blame them, not every fight between a couple is reasonable or fair.
I liked the scenes with the mother, but they felt out of place. I don't yet understand her and Ted as a couple, so I just can't imagine them forming a family right now. I think they are rushing things with her simply because it's the last season and they need to show her place in the series, but it hasn't been done in the best way.
Flag
You didn't like the episode.....BURN THE HERETIC!!!! Jk, but in all seriousness it was a good episode, I mean its no "Knight Vision", but its still good. (That was sarcasim, knight vision was just ok)
Flag
WHAT IN THE WORLD IS BARNEY'S 3RD LEVEL OF DRUNK? Maursault Maursault? From Camus' The Stranger?
Flag
Marcel Marceau
Flag
Think it's kind of funny the review was negative and the comments are positive. Bizarre. But I agree. I did like the episode.

I am upset Kaitlin had no "notes" of the episode. Guess she was busy with the TCA. Still. I Haz a sad.
Flag
This was a great episode. What you must consider is both Lily & Marshall can be quite vengeful and they have history of carrying unsolved bitterness. Marshall must resort to San Francisco debacle because Lily just won't hear his argument anymore. Problematic, I know.

We finally found out Barney's actual job and the name of Ted's kids, you guys! This episode was legendary!
Flag
HIMYM final season is feeling like Scrubs final season, but answer questions that should be answered.

"What does Barney do for a living?" = "What is the Janitors Real Name?"

Flag
Marshall did not go to 7-11, bought a ticket, and won a judgeship a week before the wedding! EVERYONE knew he was on the list and he could be called at any time! Military families split themselves up all the time and can deal with the separation. So Lily insisting that Italy was his punishment for not discussing something that was surely anticipated IS selfish! The way Marshall sees it, her San Francisco apology means nothing if she is going to run off again. Truth Drunk Barney was amusing, but not funny. I liked it because it filled holes in the back-story. The Mother is the most effective when she is part of the gang and participates in the hi-jinks, so while I liked her in this episode, I still want more future escapades with her and the gang.
Flag
I have honestly never asked what are the kids names. Never even passed my mind. Good to know though.
Flag
I think you're being a bit harsh on this episode. No, it wasn't perfect, but it found a decent balance for serious and shenanigans while still maintaining the dramady that HIMYM has become. I appreciated the truth serum bit - because there were so many tidbits that would have been left unanswered.
Flag
I have to agree that it felt a little bit disjointed. I actually liked the truth serum drunk gag myself, but all the storylines felt odd together.

As far as the Lily and Marshall fight, I can definitely see Marshall bringing San Francisco up. He may have forgiven Lily, but those kind of emotional scars do remain. And he was right to bring it up. Lily does need to be reminded that she has requested a lot more sacrifice from Marshall than he has from her and she wasn't willing to even entertain the idea of Marshall taking the judgeship. And sometimes, that means you have to bring out the big guns. But Marshall wasn't without fault in the argument either. It just seems like it's a childish fight at this point. They need to actually discuss it like adults.
Flag
Sorry Kaitlin I thought the drunken truth was the best part of the episode as it filled in so many answers from that last 8 seasons

Flag
I thought the Truth Serum Drunk level was a cute idea that worked about 75% of the way, but just missed the mark; I wouldn't call it flat though, and I think this episode had flow enough to keep it out of clunky-town. Barney's honesty was refreshing after a few seasons of him being too shallow, it helped remind us what Robin might see under the jerk, that guy who secretly was on a mission to take revenge on a bad person who had wronged him.

Honestly, it was Marshall and Lily's storyline that felt clunky to me mainly because their arguments were both thin and escalated too quickly. Like you, Marshall carrying around Lily leaving him as his ace card just came out of nowhere for me, and I'd chalk this whole storyline up to not having enough time to really get into the meat of that argument, as well as being an argument none of us really want to watch much of. The fact that Marshall never said that his judgeship was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity while Lily's trip to Italy was merely another career option was what I consider the big miss in that writing.

Something good did happen in the "current" timeline after 2am, Ted found out that Barney really cares and really is going to try. And I suspect we're going to learn that Lily storming off leads to something better as well. That said, you are right that Ted and the Mother's future scenes didn't really hold that well with the rest of the episode.

My vote is on the positive end, there were problems but I don't feel they were as bad as you did.
More+
Flag
And that's 2! (Actually 1,5)
After seeing the second it last slap in the previous episode, this episode finally revealed what Barney does for a living.
To be honest i already forgot the name of Barney's job but the way it was revealed was the only way i guess, because otherwise Barney would have never told the truth.
I agree with Kaitlin that the episode was all over the place, but i that's bound to happen when the writers want to tie up all the loose ends before the ending of the series.
I'm looking forward to Robin Sparkles 5 And the finale slap!

P.s. Luke was obviously a reference to Star Wars and Penny because of Ted's fascination with old penny's or have the writers been watching too much big bang theory? :P
Flag
Yeah, actually Ted name her Penny to have an excuse to knock on her bedroom door three times.
Flag
yet another great episode.

I really enjoyed watching this episode. It was so funny and heardbreaking at once. <3
Flag
I side with Lilly. She had every right to be upset by Marshal taking the job without talking to her about it. And I definitely think she was right in walking out before she said something horrible to him whenever he basically called her career a hobby and when he basically said to her that she just settled in having a family because the San Francisco thing fell through.
Flag
I can't believe I'm still reading your reviews. This episode was one of the best of season 9.
Flag
Staff
I can't believe it either.
Flag
I liked the episode. I thought that the fight between Lily and Marshall was very real. They both feel very strongly about their points and their opinions and sometimes that leads to pushing things too far. Lily was right to angry that he took the job without talking to her and very right to be deeply hurt when he brought up San Fransisco and accused her of choosing her art career over her family. Should she have left? No. Did she need space? Yes. I think that if she just goes for a ride for a while but stays close she will be the one I side with ultimately. Sure, you should not be so firm about Italy, but in an argument where you spouse goes behind your back and takes a job that would change plans you both have made and where you feel that he is telling you his dream matters more than yours (particularly since I think Marshall has been the more selfish one in the past with work-he did change jobs and put his environmental views above providing financially for his family) I think its natural to react the way she did. Now as for Marshall-yes he should have the right to DISCUSS the judgeship but he should have done that BEFORE taking it. He really is the jerk here IMO.
As for the Barney story line, I liked it. I thought it was nice how they explained what he does for a living and yet tie in the fact that he went thru all that for something more than just getting laid all the time-he did it to get back at the jerk in the suit. I enjoyed that. The flash forwards..while they weren't necessary I think it showed that things work out. That despite the argument between Lily and Marshall that every thing will work out. I think its one of my fave episodes this season.
More+
Flag
In the storyline, they both knew he applied for a judgeship and it could happen at any point. So when the offer came out of the blue, there was no time for Marshall to talk to Lily before accepting. While the scenario as presented was unrealistic (who gets offered a job that requires an immediate acceptance), it was either "accept now, or it goes to the next person on the list".

Marshall wanted to have the discussion/argument in person which was frankly his only mistake. He should have accepted, then immediately called, even if it was to say "I accepted this job because it was time sensitive but we need to talk about this immediately", i.e. while there is still time for him to back out if that is what they decide to do. He should have then flown/driven/walked to her at that point to have said discussion.

Marshall took the more financially responsible job only after Lily put them into massive debt, which strangely has never really been addressed whether that issue has been resolved or not, if they are still in debt up to their ears, you might have a point, but Lily was the one who put them there, and she did so secretly.

If Lily's opportunity was to be an artist (which was actually her "dream"), instead of being the art buyer for an eccentric rich person, that offered a 1 year job, that could go nowhere. I feel she would have more of a leg to stand on. But she had no real leg to stand on.

A lifetime dream career vs. a 1 year dream job on it's surface is a no brainer, but Lily still wants to do what she *wants* rather than what is best for them as a family, which is why she was unwilling to even hear Marshall's side and just kept yelling "We're going to Italy", "We're going to Italy", "You're being selfish". San Francisco being thrown back in her face just demonstrates she never realized she was the selfish one in their relationship and stormed out because she couldn't deal with it.
More +
Flag
How could you not like this episode??? It was one of the best of the season!! Especially because of the fight between Marshall and Lily, where we truly see just how selfish Lily is. I've always known that she was selfish, we can see it from the stuff she did in other episodes, but it was never like this.

The parts between the mother and Ted were okay, and then there's that "Barney's Awesome" moment that i jumped from my chair when i heard it lol

A lot of stupid questions were asked when Barney was drunk, but we finally know what he does for a living, and we also know that Robin is rich. But i knew that already, there were hints, especially when they showed flashbacks from Canada.

So i take it that you side with Lily on this one Kaitlin? To go live in a country they know nothing about and without a job, instead of staying home with their families and best friends with a job guaranteed for both. Oh, and bringing up San Francisco was not a cheap shot, if Marshall left for San Francisco, i'm sure Lily would've done the same. We're all humans, we forgive... but we don't forget.
More+
Flag
Staff
I didn't say I disliked the episode as a whole. I said it had problems. There's a difference.
Flag
Well, the only thing i disliked about this episode was that there was too much information about marshall's boner and him banging Lily, waaaay too much lol Other than that it was great!
Flag
This was at least better than last episode, and better than much of the first half of the season, too. Sure, Marshall and Lily were both close-minded, but that rings true of couple fights to me, and I actually felt that Marshall's comeback was in character (guy's a lawyer, after all).

If anything, I would have made that fight a bit nastier. I get that this is a comedy, but I think Lily would have been a bit more riled up before she just needed to be out of there. As it was shot, they were both a bit too rational still.

As for the B-plot with Barney... eh, it was fine. It maybe didn't hit all the things I would have gone for given the setup, but it had some nice moments. I should also remind you all that Barney said there would be a ring bear-er, but he didn't say there wouldn't be a bear. Just sayin'.
Flag
I disagree. This was the best episode so far this season.
The episode brought back two of my favorite parts of HIMYM: Pause/Unpause and 'Nothing good happens after 2 AM' (btw, very true.)
Finally we're using old elements to actually go somewhere.
We now know what Barney does for a living, we got to see the mother and we have ultimately reached a point where Lily and Marshall start showing us real underlying problems in their marriage that cannot be paused.

I can only hope that the rest of the episodes get even better.

Then we can say: Welcome back, HIMYM.
Flag
They nailed this episode. Best episode in years I'd say, but that' just me. Lily and Marshall suddenly got really serious, we find out Barney's job, Ted's kids name and we see more of Ted and The Mother together. This episode was not disjointed, it was extremely well played out. In the past season so far, it has felt like the cast didn't want to be there, there was no energy, but this episode, you could see that they really bought into this episode and it showed. Many were beginning to lose faith in the show, but you never should, because these writers know what they are doing. They made a lot of mistakes this season, but to be honest, I think all the filler episodes are past us now, and from now onwards it's going to be full on, 100%, How TED met The Mother. Kudos.
Flag
Agreed that this felt like a very disjointed episode but it was still the best one of the season story-wise that actually included things that moved the story forward. I would much rather see more of this over the regular silly stupid repetitive stuff we get most of the time
Flag
I think the mother picks up Lilly from the inn in 2015 and in 2017 Lilly picks up the mother from the inn to take her to the hospital as a tie in between both time lines.
Flag
But she didn't. Ted drove her.
Flag
this was one of the best episodes of this season or a better episode since this season has been terrible
Flag
Try watching them all in a row, it looks like a movie!
Flag
My two favorite parts of the episode:
-Marshall and Lily's "We left the baby in the elevator!" gag
-the Trevor Hudson reveal (though, I think we all knew where that was going)

Overall, it was a decent episode.
Flag
I was appalled by some of the things Marshall and Lily said to each other during that fight. Just horrified. My husband was watching with me and we both agreed that if a real couple fought like that, it would be The End. Marshall bringing up San Fran as a defense for making a family decision solo? And calling Lily's job a silly hobby? Everything about it was so un-Marshall. But then Lily, who hasn't seen her baby in how many weeks, leaves? I wanted her to have waitforit with her, at least.

I was OK with the truth bit - it was no dumber than anything else that's happened this season - and I liked the flash-forward to Barney's exit.

Why is anyone surprised that Robin's family is wealthy? All the flashbacks of her with her father were always in an obviously ritzy manse with fancy woodwork.
Flag
Lily is completely wrong at this. He has got an excellent and respectable job. She should/must have understand and move on. Who cares dream trip or what, they have a family and family needs stability.
Flag
Perfectly logical and completely irrelevant. If Marshall believed that, the respectable thing to do was to tell her about the judgeship and be reasonable - not bring up her San Fran summer as if breaking up with a fiance was the same as running out on a spouse and baby. That was cruel and illogical. It's just lazy writing; they want Lily and Marshall to have this fight so it's been pitched this way.

Bottom line: the Lily and Marshall we have come to know love each other and respect each other's dreams. The whole "pause/unpause" joke has always been premised on the deep love they have for each other, regardless of external factors. I saw no love or respect in that argument, just selfish meanness.
Flag
Lilly knew he was on the waiting list for a judgeship. And when you get the call it's fast. He had to make the decision and she was a VERY long car ride away. He wanted to have the talk in person, not over a cell phone where she can just hang up and to be honest that should be the way to do it with such a big decision. In person

Were you listening to Lilly at all? She kept cutting him off over and over and then said too bad we're going to Italy. He stood there passively while she wouldn't let him talk and said "too bad we're going"

Im not saying Marshall was right... Maybe a cellphone chat when he got the offer would have been best.

But here he needed a truth bomb to shut her up and let him speak. And to be honest his sample was valid bc she said she's never been that selfish, but she was. In fact as much as I like Lilly and the actress, the character has been selfish. Putting them into massive debt and not bringing a lot to the table. Marshall took jobs that made him miserable as a lawyer to pay for the family. She educated kids and later painted dog art.

Meanwhile Lilly wouldn't let him speak all the while saying her dream is more important AND saying she's never been as selfish.
More +
Flag
If we're going to get technical, NY elects its judges, so the whole offer is a fiction.

Good point about lily. I guess I meekly defend that she said that after Marshall referred to it as her silly little hobby (paraphrase), but still. Bottom line is that fight was terrible and out of character for these people we have come to know and love.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Didn't know characters can see flashbacks...
Flag
Har. My point was, so we know she's rich, but no one else does?
Flag
Ted, who has dated and known her for quite a while, seemed pretty shocked.
Flag
I follow you. And to be fair, some of the other shared things didn't come out entirely voluntarily (robin sparkles, the guns). The show has been consistent that we know she's wealthy, so there's that. I'll go with you and the mixed feelings.
Flag
@TQB
Honestly, I have mixed feelings on the whole thing. I mean, I don't find it strange that some people aren't willing to share certain things, such as: religious beliefs, financial standing, political leanings, etc. (because those things can cause strain on personal relationships). So, part of me thinks it's not that weird for Robin to not have told anyone in the group.

Then again, another part of me thinks it's strange that that is something Robin would feel weird about sharing, because they share things that could be considered waaaaay weirder on a regular basis.

I really don't know what to think. I guess I lean more towards Robin's secret wealth being a believable reveal, because we're still, in the show's final season, learning little/big secrets about everyone (e.g. finally finding out what Barney does). Just my opinion though...
Flag
And that seems reasonable to you? Also, she was Robin Sparkles/Daggers. I know it's just Canada, but they do pay people to sing in malls, don't they?
Flag
I felt like both Marshal and Lily were wrong but Lily was worse due the fact that she didn't want to consider Marshal's dream of being a judge and then running off in the middle of the night to get away from the fight. I felt like the whole what Barney does for a living a bit of a let down, mainly due to how we found out but it wasn't a bad episode. I agree with the flash forwards, they really didn't feel connected to what was going on in the rest of the episode. On a whole I, for once, felt like this was a much better episode for this season despite some of the bits I did not like.
Flag
I enjoyed this episode and it was definitely a nice comeback following last week's disaster craptastic-filled episode. Loved the callbacks to past episodes (Barney's job - we now FINALLY know what he does, Barney getting revenge on Greg - the guy who not only stole Barney's girl but made him into the man he is today, learning the truth about what REALLY happened between Barney and Ted's mom, etc.). I actually liked the scenes with Barney, Robin, and Ted - and I can totally see both Ted and Robin trying to get information out of Barney when he is inebriated like that. It wasn't exactly laugh out loud/bust-a-gut funny, but still humorous. I also liked the scenes with Ted and the Mother (I enjoy any scene of her we can get), and finding out the names of his future kids (Penny - possible callback to "Lucky Penny" and Luke - Star Wars obviously). Looking at the scenes they may have seemed a bit out of place, but I still enjoyed them. It was giving us (the viewer) a further glimpse into what Ted's future holds. We aren't going to see Ted and the Mother living happily ever after (the show is called, "How I Met Your Mother" after all), so I think the showrunners are letting us see that after 8 years of searching Ted will finally get what he has always wanted.

As for the Lily and Marshall scenes - it was something that has been brewing for months (for us) and I was glad we finally got that confrontation. Initially, I was mad at Marshall for bringing up San Francisco, that happened sooo long ago, and I felt it was a REALLY low blow, but....he did have the right since Lily made it seem like she has NEVER made a selfish decision before. He was right, going to San Francisco to pursue her dream was a VERY selfish thing to do, although understandable (she had a dream and wanted to see if she could make it), but she wasn't selfish because she wanted to pursue her dream, she was selfish because of the way she handled it. Her and Marshall, who talk about EVERYTHING, were weeks away from getting married, and SHE MADE a HUGE life altering decision on her own (including applying for the fellowship and even going on the interview - she was actively doing this KNOWING she was supposed to get married and NEVER ONCE said a word to Marshall). The only reason she even told him the truth is because he heard the message on the answering machine. Marshall's decision to become a judge, while similar in the fact that he didn't talk to Lily first, was a bit different because Marshall wasn't seeking the position - they called him. He was put in a place where he had to say "yes" now or miss out on a great career opportunity. Marshall has sacrificed his career for her before - taking the corporate job when she needed to pay off her massive credit card bills (which she didn't tell him about until AFTER they were attempting to buy a house). And her decision to go to San Francisco, interviewed for it without discussing it with Marshall first). He was DEFINITELY WRONG to say that her doing the consulting job was a hobby - not cool Bro. But Lily was wrong again when she didn't even try and listen to anything he was saying, insisting that they were going to Italy no matter what and then just took off. Nothing will get solved until the two of them sit down and actually talk things out, which will hopefully get done in the next episode. I do wonder who Lily was talking to on the phone, at first I thought it was the Mother, but when the car came to pick her up she got in the backseat. Maybe it's Ranjit? Overall good episode, and I look forward to seeing what happens next.
More+
Flag
My thought process was identical to yours on who Lily called for a pickup. First I thought The Mother, but she had a van. (And it also seemed a bit weird since they'd just met.) Then I thought Ranjit! I hope they have him talk her into going back. I love it when they bring him back for cameos.

I also agree with you about the argument. While Marshall was insulting her with the hobby comment, she was unfairly playing the "I have never done anything like this to you" card when she had definitely done worse to him with the San Francisco trip.
Flag
And I thought my posts were long... Thank you for proving me wrong!
Flag
LOL. I tried to keep it simple but I guess once I started I couldn't stop.
Flag
I understand, i get carried away as well sometimes. You made some pretty good points in your post btw :)
Flag
Thanks!
Flag
The only reasons I liked this episode is because we finally got back into the story. I didn't feel like I had to force myself to watch it like I have this whole season so far. This episode held my interest mostly because it finally was something other than fluff, Im hoping the silly filler and mindless episodes are over and we are finally going to get the closure we want for this series starting now. I want to see either tie together and give us a great ending we've been waiting for, especially with the characters we've grown so attached to.
Flag
hallelujah, finally some progress in the story
Flag
Lily needed her comeuppance. She had been incredibly selfish throughout the series despite her role as the 'moral compass' of the group. San Francisco, not even caring about how Marshall is close to his family while making the decision to move to Italy, breaking up a lot of Ted's relationships just because SHE couldn't see a future of being friends with the person, ruining Christmas because Ted called her a bad name because of the things SHE did to the crew.

She needed to get got. To say that what Marshall did was the most selfish thing either of them had done was the straw that broke the camel's back. And Marshall may be right, what if Lily was actually good at painting in San Francisco? What then?
Flag
Hahaha yea she's the opposite of a moral compass. Not only has she done everything you listed, but she's notorious for stealing... Justice Aldrin lol.
Flag
Oh, and she forced Marshall to get a soul crushing lawyer job to pay for her credit card debt, only to get angry when he began to enjoy the job and call him out: "I thought I was marrying an environmental lawyer".

Lily has had this coming for quite some time.
Flag
And remember the time they were trying to have a baby? She told Marshall to tell his dad that they weren't having a baby, probably giving the old man a heart attack. lol Oh and that time that Marshall had no life insurance, and that time she was sick of supporting him while he was working but not getting any money, etc etc. she's really selfish, hardly a moral compass.
Flag
Don't forget what she's done to Ted. Beside sChristmas, which you mention, you have her constantly forcing his girlfriends to break up with him if they don't meet her expectations.

Granted the the women probably weren't the best, but that's pretty low to do
Flag
I have to disagree. I love this episode, the fight (and I think Marshal is right, Lily has always been a very selfish person, and I couldn´t undestand how Marshal could forgive her about her "outside of the relationship" time so easily, and Ithink that Lily´s travel to Italy is too a selfish thing She wants to do because in all these years she hasn´t done anything interesting in her life beside being with Marshal...I´m a bit dissapointing with all the art plot because some seasons before it was shown that Lily had discovered that the thing she was good in it and loved was being a teacher...
Thr only part of it that I didn´t like so much is the future one, it´s somehow...interesting knowing Ted´s children names, but I wasn´t waiting for it...and didin´t contributed almost anything to de story... but it seems to me that they try to include the Mother in almost every episode because people love her... I don´t like it, but I undestand
It´s just my opinion
Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my mother lenguage
Flag
"I'm a little put-off by Marshall suddenly bringing up the fact that Lily left him for San Francisco as if it was an excuse for what he did."

Kaitlin, it almost sounds like you have never been in a relationship with a guy that lasted several years.

Marriage, over time, inevitably boils down to checks and balances: Both the male and female keep an ongoing record of each others failures, disappointments, violations and general wrong-doings, and it doesn't have any kind of statute of limitations. It is both prospective and retrospective.

Marshall bringing up the San Francisco saga is perfect male behaviour: When a female partner backs her male partner into a corner with his wrongs, he will instinctively throw the worst wrongdoing on his record, back in her face, regardless of how long ago it was.

This is nothing new.

As far as the Barney-drunk story goes, sure, it was completely ridiculous and overplayed, but it served as comic entertainment and an easy way to solve unanswered questions that have occurred throughout the series.

As for the Ted and the wife bits, It felt like it has felt all season long: Cobbled together. It's bits and pieces that were probably 'quickly' filmed, and edited in after they had already shot the majority of season 9.

As far as the series' final moment goes, my money is on Ted and the wife meeting for the first time, face to face, in real time (well, as real time as HIMYM gets!).

The series IS CALLED 'How I MET Your Mother' after all!
More+
Flag
I completely agree with you! Completely!!!!
Flag
Staff
Well there's no need to bring my single status into this...
Flag
Truth be told, that I got it correct, wasn't intentional - It's not like I'm an omniscient being, who knows everything about everyone, at all times...It was what you said and how you said it, that implied a certain perspective only drawn by short-term relationship people.

It's not an attack, and it's not a criticism: It was a utilisation of inference, based on the information and evidence at hand (kind of like what critics do!).
Flag
Actually, it does all fit in together, the labour storyline parallels Lily and Marshall's fight: four years apart, after 2am, two people are still up and the result is going to go one of two ways, either good or bad. With Lily, she storms out and seeks comfort from someone else (my guesses who that might be are either Ranjit, her mother or Ted's wife) whereas Ted's wife is going to give birth to Luke.

As for the rest of it, only a few bits were funny but not laugh out loud funny. The truth thing was interesting, especially when we found out what Barney's job is and if a bear will be at the wedding. I thought Ted would have a gold question up his sleeve regarding Barney's true feelings and intentions for Robin, leading to a horrible revelation, but I was wrong.

I was glad to see the Marshall/Lily story progressing, though I didn't think the drag-out-the-sex thing was necessary. While Marshall was picking at old wounds, he does have a valid point in saying Lily has been selfish before when she claims she never has been. Yes, he took a judgeship without consulting her and that was wrong, yet why should she punish him by forcing him to go to Italy? They both have very different dreams and we don't know if they're going to achieve those dreams. We know that Lily is going to return for the wedding though, otherwise she wouldn't be telling Ted the bride and groom want to see him.

It was a good episode and I think the best parts were the throwbacks to classic episodes. It really puts the whole thing altogether.
More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members