A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

THIS FEELS LIKE SOMETHING TED WOULD DO

... Someone over at the social analytics platform Canvs decided to mine the Twitter response to How I Met Your Mother's series finale to find out what the people really thought (I guess that guy hasn't yet seen Frozen and doesn't know how to let it go). According to the data, the reaction to the finale was more positive than negative. More than twice as many people said they enjoyed it than said that it sucked. According to Canvs founder and CEO Jared Feldman, "The platform only analyzes tweets it is sure it can interpret accurately," which means all of the tweets that were just a giant middle finger to Carter Bays and Craig Thomas were not included in the sample size. [The Atlantic

BUSINESS TIME

... With the end of the season quickly approaching, four of Grey's Anatomy's hardworking doctors have opted to sign new contracts. Justin Chambers, Sara Ramirez, Chandra Wilson, and James Pickens Jr. will all be around through Season 12 (should ABC choose to keep Grey's around that long). They join leads Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey, who have already renewed their contracts with ABC. [TV Guide]

... Lifetime has ordered eight episodes of Child Genius, a new competition series based on a UK format. It will follow America's smartest smartypants and their families as they prepare to compete in a national intelligence competition testing their knowledge of logic, current affairs, history, memory, science, spelling, math, and debate. Remember when childhood was about running, jumping, and climbing trees, and not about parents needing to prove their children are smarter than everyone else's? [Deadline]

... Downton Abbey's Jim Carter and his wife, actress Imelda Staunton, are teaming up with folk band Show Of Hands to record an album of war-inspired poetry to mark the anniversary of World War I. What I'm taking away from this is not that Jim and Imelda need to get out more, but the fact Mr. Carson is married to Dolores Umbridge! [The Telegraph]

... MTV, the land of pregnant teens, hunky werewolves, and fake lesbians, has ordered a cast-contingent pilot from Paul O'Toole (Sirens) and Andy St. Clair (Sirens). The untitled comedy project follows Andy, a 22-year-old who gets into a car accident with a celebrity after catching his girlfriend cheating on him. Naturally, said celebrity takes pity on Andy and decides he's going to teach him how to nut up. If you'll excuse me, I need to go ram my car into Walton Goggins' car for completely unrelated reasons. [Deadline]

CASTING NEWS

... Ray Romano has joined the cast of HBO's as-yet-untitled drama pilot about rock 'n' roll in 1970s New York. The project, which comes from Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger, George Mastras, and Terence Winter, stars Bobby Cannavale as a record executive who's trying to restart his label with a new sound. Romano will play Richie’s BFF and righthand man Zak Yankovich. The character is described as "tough and sharp-witted," and his experience dates back to the days when the mob had its fingers in the record industry. The cast also includes Olivia Wilde and Juno Temple. This sounds super cool, but it better not interfere with Parenthood if/when it's renewed by NBC! [Deadline]

REQUIRED READING

... Louie returns Monday evening, and we'll have our official (p)review of Season 4 for you soon, but while you wait, Grantland has ranked every episode from the first three seasons.  You might be surprised by number 1. [Grantland]

... The Good Wife has actually thought about spinning off Carrie Preston's Elsbeth, but it's not going to happen right now. Here' why. [E! Online]

OTHER RECENT STORIES YOU MAY'VE MISSED ON TV.COM

... Girl Meets World finally has a premiere date! And an extended trailer! 

... HBO has released the first photos from True Blood's final season

... Starz has released the official trailer for its upcoming time-traveling drama Outlander

121 Comments
Comments (117)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Also apparently according to twitter:

Donald Trump's hair looks great.
The sky is purple and the grass is red.
Aliens invaded the world in 1968.
Henry the 8th was actually a robot.
Politicians care about people more than themselves.

Twitter, ever the reliable source.
Flag
The HIMYM ending was bad...show should have been entitled 'How I continuously banged your Aunt Robin." Should have attached a poll to this to gauge how TV.com viewers felt about it now that we've all had a few weeks to digest it.
Flag
I'm gonna miss Sandra Oh on Grey's

And for the suckiest finale ever, statistics ,like the twitter counts thing there, are not accurate enough to really know what's going on because there are actually people who haven't seen that shitty thing yet because it hasn't aired in their country, and some people who have seen it were so upset with the writers they thought they didn't deserve a tweet even if it was just a middlefinger.
Flag
HIMYM ending was good but what irritated me was that they spent an entire season on the Robin/Barney wedding and then divorced them in like 5 minutes.... so pointless
Flag
HIMYM finale was shit - and thats it... I saw way more bad tweets.. and they got retweeted heaps
Flag
Olivia Wilde + Juno Temple + HBO, odds of the cast staying 100% clothed for an entire episode : 0%
Flag
Quick question. Why have you stopped reviewing Revenge? You haven't reviewed the last two episodes but you also haven't said why and you are still reviewing other shows? Don't know where else to ask you. Thanks.
Flag
Staff
Hey! That's a good question. Unfortunately, reader interest waned considerably for Revenge over the course of the season so we cut it out of our weekly review rotation. What shows we cover are carefully chosen based on reader interest, writer interest, and several other factors. We'll definitely be checking back in with Revenge at the end of the season, though.
Flag
... So Sirens is canceled?
Flag
What?
Flag
WHY or Why more greys? OK the ratings must be so much better than I would expect.
Flag
It's still a good show.
Flag
Carrie Preston as Elsbeth spin-off would be cool :)
Flag
Justin Chambers, Sara Ramirez and Chandra Wilson are staying, yay!
Flag
Well, that just shows that they are as stupid as the writers of HIMYM.
Flag
lol
Flag
Does this mean my 3am tweet that I had just awoken from a nightmare about the HIMYM finale was NOT taken into consideration?
Flag
If they really wanted it to turn this into a nightmare: Barney's marriage would've eneded because he cheated Robin with the nanny dog walker, Marshal lost his judge job due to drunk driving, Lily one of their children.

And yet the mom never had a miscarriage, Ted & Robin never a set-back on their careers, everyone was able to balance job and family (not to mention, their friendships) and stay true to who they were. All in all, I'd say that was the most impressive thing about the ending.
Flag
I did not say the finale was a nightmare. I said I woke up from a nightmare about the finale at 3am. A literal nightmare.
Flag
Twitter is about as fair and accurate as a Afghani election.
The ending of HIMYM will be in a future thread here named "This Years Most Hated Television" along with the changed scene from Game of Thrones and my personal favorite, that replacement dog on Family Guy. :)
Flag
What makes Twitter any less accurate a barometer of viewers' opinions than this site?
Flag
I liked the ending. It did not hold back on what happened to the characters down the road. I wanted to know what happened to Ted and the rest of the core characters and the finale gave the answers. Could they have given an extra hour to cover all of the future story? Yes, but for me they delivered what was important.
Viewers have seen much worse finales over the years. Much easier to find bad finales than good ones.
Flag
...or unceremoniously cancelled shows without a finale.
Flag
Well, Mind Games DID legitimately suck...
Flag
It did...
Flag
Even so a two to one ration of long time fans liking the ending of your show is not something to strive for...
Flag
Twice as many viewers liking the way your show ends as dislike it isn't good enough? What would satisfy you, 100 percent? Maybe you're setting the bar too high.
Flag
I have a feeling a lot of people will be looking to crash into Walton Goggings' car. I wish I had a car.
Flag
Thanks to Twitter for riling up Kaitlin on HIMYM again, always a fun read.
Flag
"What I'm taking away from this is not that Jim and Imelda need to get out more, but the fact Mr. Carson is married to Dolores Umbridge!" LOL
Flag
Not often I get excited for shows at the casting stage but man, I want that untitled project from Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger, George Mastras, and Terence Winter NOW!
Flag
Are you sure when they had positive things to say about the ending of HIMYM they weren't just happy it was over?
Flag
Could'a been.
Flag
The show about r'n'r scene sounds interesting. Are there more details?
Flag
How I met your mother series finale had its mistakes but it was pretty great! It offered well rounded endings to all characters, it was funny enough and just emotional enough and lastly it ended with un unexpected twist.
Flag
Sure it could have been better but it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

I liked it personally but you can't please everyone.
Flag
Same here! and definitely, not everyone will like it!
Flag
Agreed.
Flag
I'm not surprised that Daddy's Girlfriend Part Two is the number one episode of Louie. That moment when Parker Posey's face turns from absolute happiness to complete sadness is an image I will probably take with me to my grave.
Flag
Thing is I can believe that more people liked it than not. It's just that people who don't like something tend to be more vocal than people who do.
Flag
I'm still too busy ragging on Lost--which is the worst of all time, and stop saying it was Dexter, because it wasn't even close.
Flag
I agree. Lost's finale still hurts and I didn't mind the Dexter finale personally.
Flag
True
Flag
You are absolutely right!
Flag
and rock in the 70s sucked. I had to listen to it as a child because I wasnt allowed to touch the radio dial (wanted to say knob), but it was crap for a decade. Picking out 10 great songs from that decade and comparing themto the Beatles or the Stones is just nonsense so why would I want to meet a record producer responsible for the Beegees or Gordon Lightfoot.
(and yes, i realize they all have more musical talent than I do, but dear god it was not rock'nroll)

Flag
Surely noone is suggesting that the BeeGees is rock? I'm absolutely not an expert on the 70s, but wasn't that when The Who and Led Zeppelin were making their best stuff?

Flag
The Bee Gees did disco, but on what planet would "Fanny (Be Tender with My Love)" be considered disco? There were several rock acts that performed disco-styled tunes during the late '70s/early '80s. At least music in the '70s had lyrics.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
The Bee Gees were disco. Ah ah ah ah staying alive, staying alive... Oh god now that will be stuck in my head all day.
Flag
Kaitlin, let it go... Take three deep breaths and just let it go. I too was hoping for something else, but since I wasn't actually writing it I understand 9now, with the help of my therapist and aromatherapist, and analyst/therapist {we learned that one the hard way}, and massage therapist to let it go. And also, there is this really cool Demi Lovato song...
Barney didn't marry Ted's sister
Robin dying wasn't the reason they started the story with meeting her
The Mother didn't turn out to be pineapple girl
Bob Saget never made an appearance
and they were just some of the things i wanted to see.
But it's been over a month, Game of Thrones is on, it's time to move on. who gives a shit about twitter other than twitter anyway? certainly not instagram or tumblr. maybe facebook, but they don't sign your paycheck so F8ck them too!!!
and let it go, let it go....

Flag
You forgot that an analyst/therapist is called an analrapist.
Flag
Well, Twitter is one thing, but just head of to Tumblr and you'll see the real loathe for the finale.
Flag
Honestly, HIMYM gave me everything I wanted in a way that rang honest to Ted's story. Its not a "And they lived happily ever after", it's a "they were alive while it lasted".

Ted's life did not end just because he met The Mother, Barney's life did not end because of his baby's mother, Lily and Marshal didn't fade to black after kid number 2. Just because it's not a storybook ending doesn't mean it was not the right ending.
Flag
Twitter tracking is easily the stupidest thing ever in internet marketing, it's so painfully skewed. You are bang on with your play on middle fingers to Bays & Thomas metaphor.

I am really interested in both of the stories in Required Reading, but WHY DO YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE THE SITE??? I came here so you guys would condense the news for me - you aggregate, I don't block your ads, that's the deal!

Anyway, not feeling the #1 there, but it did feel like an Emmygrab so I am not surprised some out there would cling to it.

I love Elsbeth, but I could not take 13 episodes a season of her quirkiness, much less more. Elsbeth is more interesting than Colombo because she isn't always discovering "the truth", she's creating a working truth that dominates all other possible truths (lawyers!).
Flag
I loved the end of HIMYM, I dislike the way it gets there.
Flag
Sorry you disliked nine complete season's minus ten minutes and liked the last ten minutes. For me it was more the other way around.
Flag
No sorry I like all the seasons even if around season 6 or 7 it was a bit less good than the first. What I dislike is that they rushed Ted/Robin's relation in 5' just after we watched the Mother die. But i like that they get together in the end, the conclusion was good for me. They should have done it in 2 or 3 episode instead of 5 minutes that's all.
Flag
HIMYM angry fans either took to internet to start their rant or type incoherantly cos we were too fuking pissed at the writers..
Flag
Lol surprised Girl Meets World is even still a thing, how long ago was that announced. Geez. Forget about it. Good to know that Topanga will be back on my monitor.
Flag

So all the people who were too emotional in their disappointment with the HIMYM finale were not included by the Canvs poll though all the blind fanboy praises were? Let me guess; Sunday in honor of May the 4th they will take a poll for who is the most talked about Star Wars character, omit all the “middle fingers” and voila, Jar-Jar Binks is the most popular character. Yeah, big surprise this is the first time I’ve ever heard of Canvs…whoever they are.

Flag
Yeah? Well according to me, Twitter is stupid.
Flag
Now go tweet it!
Flag
#nomorehashtags
Flag
Mr Carson is married to Imelda Staunton!?!

:O
Flag
While that Nut Up (that's what I'm calling it now) show sounds...yea...MTV has three shows, Teen Wolf, Awkward., and Faking It, that I like so I'll have to see some actual footage before I scoff.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members