A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

"YOU SEE, KIDS..." NEWS

... I know, I know. I've crapped all over the idea of a How I Met Your Mother spin-off ever since it was first announced, and since I don't really have the power to stop TV shows from being made (OMG COULD YOU IMAGINE?), the pilot for How I Met Your Dad is happening. After some really thorough detective work, I've got my hands on just who's going to be playing the roles of Ted, Barney, Marshall, Lily, and Robin in the CBS pilot. Ready? Here we go (I've tried my best to match them up to the current characters, based on where they fit in the story):

Sally = Ted | She's the mother telling the story. She's described as being a "female Peter Pan" who's messy and doesn't really want to grow up. That sounds more like a Barney equivalent than a Ted equivalent, no? Anyway, she's getting divorced from her first husband when the series starts.

Juliet = Barney | She's Sally's wild best friend, who's really happy that Sally's ending things with Gavin. She also runs a successful fashion blog (really?).

Danny = Marshall | Danny is Sally's gay older brother. She moves in with Danny and his husband after her divorce, and although they get along pretty well, Danny's kind of an overachieving lawyer and Sally moving in isn't really the best thing for their relationship.

Todd = Lily | Todd is the aforementioned husband of Sally's brother Danny. He's way more easy going than Danny is, and actually loves having Sally around.

Frank = Robin | Frank manages IT for Juliet's blog, and because the current laws of television dictate that all series must have a hot nerd, Frank fills that role. He has feelings for Sally, but they're not reciprocated at the moment.

So, kids, what do you think? Are you more on board or less on board with the idea of a spin-off now that you know who the characters are? [TV Line]

BUSINESS TIME

... I say this with a lot of love in my heart: France is weird, right? Movie theaters there will be showing Sharknado on February 8, which is 10 days ahead of the movie's release on DVD. I didn't even watch Sharknado because Price watched it for me, and yet I still know that it was too much even for regular-sized screens. Can you imagine that baby on big screens? Anyway, keep doing your thing, France. I love you. [THR]

... NBC has ordered two additional episodes of its new series Chicago P.D., bringing the current Season 1 total to 15. Since its premiere, the series has averaged 6.8 million viewers. [TV Guide]

... Syfy is ever-so-slightly changing up its schedule. Opposite Worlds' live elimination episodes will air on Wednesdays at 8pm beginning February 5. The regular episodes featuring challenges will continue to air Tuesdays at 10pm. [Syfy via press release]

... Sherlock producers Steven Moffat and Sue Vertue (fun fact: they're married) don't know when the next season of Sherlock will happen, but in a nutshell, it won't be as soon as you'd like. The personal schedules of everyone involved are what make writing and filming Sherlock so difficult, and with Moffat's day job being to run Doctor Who, and with Martin Freeman being the Hobbit and currently filming FX's Fargo, "His Last Vow"—which airs in the U.S. on Sunday—will likely the last new episode we'll see for a while. [Collider]

CASTING NEWS

... Psych's Timothy Omundson is making a habit of stealing things. He just stole the show on Supernatural, and now he'll be stealing ladies' hearts on ABC's new fairy-tale comedy pilot Galavant. He'll play King Richard, who stole Prince Galavant's (Joshua Sasse) one true love Madalena (Mallory Jansen). [Deadline]

... Pretty Little Liar Lucy Hale is guest-starring on Baby Daddy as Piper, the daughter of a client that Riley is representing. Apparently she lies (BIG SURPRISE) about being a party girl with a sex tape and some other stuff happens, but I've been confused by what I've been typing since the first sentence of this blurb, so okay! [TV Guide]

... Michael Pitt (Boardwalk Empire) is joining Hannibal's second season in a major role. He'll play Mason Verger, a wealthy character who was played by Gary Oldman in the 2001 Hannibal film. Verger is an unstable patient of Hannibal's, and because of where the series takes place in Hannibal Lecter's timeline, this is a younger version of Verger. According to a casting description, the character has been compared to Andrew Scott's Moriarty in Sherlock. Hmm. [EW]

... CBS's new drama Extant, which recently added Goran Visnjic to its roster, has now nabbed Grace Gummer, the daughter of Meryl Streep. Gummer will play Julie, a woman who helped create the robot kiddo whose parents are Visjnic's John and Halle Berry's Molly. [TV Line]

... Tony Hale (Veep) has been cast as Marcus's (Benjamin Stockham) father on NBC's new comedy series About A Boy. The character never appeared in the film, but he was in Nick Hornby's original novel, which the series and film are based on. [EW]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

124 Comments
Comments (124)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Wow!!!! I didn't care before but I gotta say, I'm loving the diversity in the character descriptions cannot wait for Pilot
Flag
Wtf is this?
Completely missed this. But NO. DON'T.
Flag
Teds not the dad
Flag
I think it has great potential....to flop or to be ...legen....wait-for-it.....dary.
Many spin-ofs fail horribly, like Joey from Friends.
There can be great ones too, like Fraizer from Cheers.

I think if How I Met Your Mother was a show geared towards the guy's perspective, a How I Met Your Dad could be more of the woman's perspective.
As long as the show has different twists. Chooses its own path. Has its OWN set of unique and non-cliche characters, it could all work.
BUT...I am leary of having another gay couple, just like Barney's brother and his husband. Given that we didn't see a lot of them, just the idea of almost rehashing the same old characters.
Really though? ANOTHER lawyer? We could have had a car salesman, or a webstore owner.
I'll watch it. I do hope that they do all the things they didn't do in HIMYM, or the things they wanted to do, but didn't
Flag
The biggest reason for watching HIMYM was to find out who the mother is, we know the dad is ted so there is no point in this what so ever
Flag
This show is not connected to the story in himym.
Flag
but its called how i met your dad, so the title is bullshit or its about how she met ted, either way pointless
Flag
Not very smart, I know
Flag
No it's about a woman who meets the "dad". Ted is not the dad. The show is focusing on a whole different group of friends. Therefore we do not know who the dad is. Kind of hard to explain. Lol
Flag
10 years for "How I Met Your Dad," then another 10 for "How I Met Your Stepbrother," then another 10 for "How I Met your Dog," the 10 for "How I Met this Glorious Coffee Table..."
Flag
Of course i am going to watch the How I Met Your Mother Spin-off it sounds like a thirteen episode and never heard from Again kinda show. So i should be able to survive. This sounds like when they tried out Mad Love, and are there anyone who remembers that show now?
Flag
I stopped watching HIMYM years ago. I'm not even that into comedies anymore, and I especially don't like the "pretty people going on dates" category of comedies. So the idea of a spinoff sounds awful to me. But I don't think we can immediately conclude that this will fail. I don't know any comedy where the premise alone is what made it fail or succeed. It depends on the writers and the actors.

It sounds risky to make it about two women, two gay men and a nerd. In other words, about four people who date men, and one who doesn't date. I suspect that most men will be turned off by this, so the show has to be funnier than most to succeed.
Flag
Definitely way less on board with How I Met Your Dad now...it definitely won't last.
Flag
This spin-off already seemed like a terrible mistake on paper. Now it's official. I don't see more than a 13-episode order for this.
Flag
HIMYD... No! No! No! Terrible idea!
Flag
The more I hear about HIMYD, the more I'm convinced that it won't make it past an initial 13 episode order. No, just....NO!
Flag
Kaitlin, let's agree that this article's title should be: Meet the new characters of How I got Canceled in One Season! Because this show is going to eat it so hard. Also, nothing personal to any staffers, but bloggers make terrible tv characters, didn't CBS figure this out with Partners?
Flag
hannibal just got even more awesome if that`s even possible.
Flag
What the... why is it How I Met Your Dad instead of How I Met Your Father? Consistency, people. The original show isn't called How I Met Your Mom.
Flag
Bet it's focus-testing that said something along the lines of "the word 'father' has negative connotations to women in the 18-34 key demographic" type of crap.
Flag
You know what the sad thing is, I bet that focus-testing is presenting accurate results.
Flag
I read this merely to find the scrap of Sherlock news...I really want to HATE Moffat for making us fans so pathetic; we're all like the girlfriend who just keeps allowing herself to be taken for granted, b/c we're so desperate for whatever love they'll give us. MORE SHERLOCK!
Flag
Yeah. And they did the "We're starting as soon as possible, new episodes this Christmas" shtick - AGAIN. Like we haven't been through this before. If you take one look at what both Martin and Benedict have signed up for this year, the possibility of them doing more Sherlock anytime soon is miniscule. (Benedict's plans are kind of impossible, I don't know when he plans to sleep. And new roles seem to be popping up all the time...). I really wish them all the success in the world, they deserve it. But still: MORE SHERLOCK! And soon... please? *pathetic whimper*
Flag
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you can't get lightning in a bottle twice for HIMYD (although I like the acronym better). Yeah, it's supposedly all 'different', but it sounds like the same story re-hashed to me, and if that's the point... then snore.
Flag
i am a big omundson fan, lassie was just a fantastic character, so i look forward to watching galavant (and always enjoy period dramas to begin with). i hope they do it well, half decent writing, half decent acting , and frankly, my cursory google image search of mallory jansens jaw chiseled out of marble i think i'll watch regardless :P
Flag
no way to our edit our original post, eh?
well, to the larger point, i will yes indeed watch the new show how i met you dad
Flag
Oh...if I had the power to stop a series from happening then the ABC pilots Galavant and Sea of Fire would die right on the spot. If you haven't read their descriptions, do so, and then be afraid that ABC may be dumb enough to pick these up to series and pray that these ideas never make it to series.
Flag
Give it a try we cant bitch about it already we havent seen it yet. i hope its awesome and then u have to say aah im sorry ;)
Flag
Considering Sharknado was shown in some US cinemas last year I'd have thought that dissing the French for doing the same thing would be a bit hypocritical and considering the circumstances of the French screening have been misunderstood it all seems a bit Britta'd really.

Also, HIMYD (that's horribly clunky) sounds terrible but you never know, the cast might save it!
Flag
Why are people calling HIMYD a spinoff? It's a completely new show with new characters... go back in time to before HIMYM premiered and look at the show on paper. It would have sounded dumb, too.
Flag
It is a spin-off as the main characters will debut in the series finale of HIMYM...they're at the wedding.
Flag
Yes, but again... completely new characters. This is not exactly "Joey" and we're not getting "Robin and Barney: happily married (or ARE they?)" or something.
Flag
So by your definition of spin-off, NCIS:LA is not a spin-off either. Neither are all the CSI's. Or Stargate Atlantis and SG:U. Not to mention all the different Star Treks.... A spin-off doesn't need to involve a well established character of the show it's been spun off. A similar premise and/or characters that have been introduced in the main series (usually a "special" episode) is enough.
Flag
OK, you're right then. It is a spin-off. Unfortunately this discussion on what defines a spinoff has sidetracked the motive of my original question: why all the negativity?
Flag
The Idea of HIMYM was dumb, it got way better when they moved away from the title and build itself more around the other characters IMHO.
Ted was the least interesting member of the cast to me.
Flag
You guys at TV.com, if you are going to link to other websites (after copying and pasting portions of the article), at least do some research! In the film About A Boy, Marcus' father did appear. It was that awkward Christmas scene at Marcus' home where his father Clive (never mentioned by name, but introduced as Marcus' father) brought along his girlfriend and her mother.
Flag
How I Met you Dad make me want to puke.

Looking like Psych really is ending this year, the ratings are half of what they were last season (DAMN IT!!)
Flag
I'm still in denial about Psych, especially since Anthony Michael Hall's character (not him, I love me some AMH) has, dare I say, ruined the season (thus far). Yes, I've enjoyed the episodes, but he's tarnished it and if this is the last season it pains me to think that this many episodes with that nonsense have gone down the drain. I would go out no a limb and say this could be why ratings are down. All characters, even that "bad guys" need to be somehow relatable or they don't work. Ugh. SPOILER SO STOP READING IF YOU"RE NOT CAUGHT UP …………………………………………….. So glad he's gone and hopefully all will be right with what could be the rest of the last season.
Flag
Trout was really a one episode type character. Without Vick it's not the same show, granted they wanted to shake things up (normally I would agree) but leaving Vick out this long wasn't a good idea.
Flag
You gotta be kidding? Sometimes things just go too far.
Flag
How I met your dad? seriously? What a complete waste of time and money, they may as well be making a movie called twilight: edwards story...
Flag
It's coming :)
Flag
I think it's interesting that 'How I Met Your Father' will have two gay main characters.
Flag
And they'll be blamed for the show's early demise, ignoring the fact that the whole show will stink, I bet ya.
Flag
Such is the world we live in.
Flag
Still don't understand why it isn't "How I Met Your Father", but anyway, I'm interested.
Flag
I was wondering about that too. Also, HIMYF has an easier ring to it than HIMYD.
Flag
I said it above but I'll repeat it, likely focus testing said that "father" has negative connotations, it sounds stern whereas "dad" sounds lighthearted.
Flag
Or they were so scared that people are stupid they thought we might think "Father" relative to Priest rather than Parent. (J/K)
Flag
@JT_Kirk - at I won't be alone in Hell now!
Flag
So this show is about Catholic choirboys? HIYO!
Flag
I will watch this, cause I bet you it's going to be funny and as a bonus, it's an interesting experiment. With that been said, this show better be a one season 'special event' deal. Let's not kill the entire concept with another 9 years.
Flag
DONT BE HATERS GUYS. GIVE IT A TRY :)
Flag
I will shoot myself in the face repeatedly if I ever have to watch How I Met Your Dad. Thanks for clarifying that Kaitlin.
Flag
Generally you can't shoot yourself in the face repeatedly, so you'll shoot yourself once and either die immediately; or knock yourself unconscious, wake up in the hospital, recover, get out, and shoot yourself in the face again. But I share your sentiment.
Flag
To be fair, he never said with bullets ;-)
Ok, getting side-tracked ... boycott this show! :-)
Flag
Eww eww eww eww HA!!! Eww
Flag
I'm in France and i've heard (or found) nothing about sharknado, it's already been on TV here...do you have more info?
Flag
Read tamaabi's comment
Flag
By NBC standards Chicago P.D. is a success I guess.
Flag
This is because NBC has no standards. I think they just spin a wheel and decide what stays and what goes. This is the only logical explanation for their decision making.
Flag
Michael Pitt back on TV on a regular basis--and on one of my favourite TV shows as well--is definitely deserving of a early Saturday morning cheer! And maybe even a one-man mexican wave.
Flag
HIMYD sounded horrible when i first heard of it and as I read the character description it sounds worse. Its trying way to hard to be chic , cool and relevant . The divorced mother, the gay friend, the wild friend with the ultra cool job , the hot nerd character. It seems like it trying to be cool as oppose to actually having cool interesting characters.

I give it 5 episodes( if that many ) before CBS relieves this is stinker and pulls the plug. I do not see it getting picked up for a full season
Flag
I was thinking the same think about HIMYD :)
Flag
I don't care who the characters are, if there's ANY chance of me giving that show a chance, it depends on the cast and it better be spectacular or there's no point.

I kind of figured season 4 would be a long time wait because Martin and Benedict are both getting pretty busy with their movie careers (even though Martin's had one for ages...) seeing as how the time between the premiere of season 2 and 3 was exactly two years..
Flag
Is this really what people who complain about 22-episode seasons and so-called filler shows really want? Year-long gaps between 6-episode seasons? I doubt the American public at large would put up with it.
Flag
they already put up with it when it comes to this show, in UK season 2 premiered January 1st 2012 and season 3 premiered January 1st 2014.. US dates usually take even longer.
Flag
Sherlock is broadcast on PBS in the U.S. as part of Masterpiece Theatre I think. Those viewers are not necessarily representative of the American viewing public at large. I've seen posts online complaining about reruns between Christmas and New Year's ("Why so many reruns?"). I don't see the four major networks here holding a market share with the kind of schedule Sherlock (or even Doctor Who) has been run on.
Flag
Since February 8 is not a Wednesday (which is the day new movies come out in France), I checked to see what this Sharknado thing was about.
And guess what? As could be expected, it's gonna be a one-off screening for the very famous and very amazing "Soirée Nanar", "nanar" being the given french term for "a movie that is so bad it's amazingly funny". There's a night with the best of the nanars of the year, every year, in a movie theater in Paris. It rocks.
Flag
ok thank you! je comprends mieux! ;)
Flag
I'm a huge HIMYM fan and when I heard there was a spinoff in the making, at first I didn't like it. Now that I see it's pretty much a whole diffrent show, I'll definetly be giving it a shot. Interesting characters, especially having a gay couple in the show, makes it really diffrent from HIMYM. To any other HIMYM fans who won't be watching this, it makes no sense just think of it as a brand new comedy starting in the fall. If you like it, you like it, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Simple as that!
Flag
For me it will depend on who is cast. I have a feeling that CBS may want to throw some "Big names" in there to draw more viewers initially. I think this would be a huge mistake and what would keep me from watching. The great thing about HIMYM is that at the time more than half the cast were mostly unknowns and NPH had been out of the limelight for a while so it was almost a "fresh start" career wise. Alyson Hannigan at the time was the most known. I think a similar "known" mix for the cast of HIMYD would do best IMHO.
Flag
I don't have a conceptual problem with HIMYD, myself. The problem is... well, that character sheet doesn't sound as interesting as the starting point for HIMYM. Making the main character a divorced slob is FAR more depressing than Ted's starting position. The joke for Ted was that, technically, the pilot would be a fine way to tell how he met his wife, but Robin turns out to not be it. Or the next girl. Or the next girl. And that goes on for nine years.

This divorcee slob thing means that she got married, was married for a while and stopped being married. It also means that the nerd character who's in love with her is not the dad, which makes the starting position even more depressing. And the other two characters in the show are ALSO married, so where are they going to go? Either they break up or they don't.

It's a far more sitcom-y situation than HIMYM's dynamic (up and coming professional simultaneously falls in love and his two best friends get hitched to each other, plus the extraneous comedic relief character). Of course at the end of the day sitcoms are all about the jokes and the writing, they don't really need to be about anything, so it's hard to judge ahead of time, but this reeks of not knowing who it's targeting. HIMYM was trying to connect with single, working twentysomethings sliding into the thirties. I know that profile. What's the target of married or divorced twentysomethings sliding into trying to get married again-slash-still married relatives-slash-fashion bloggers? I don't know a single person like that.
More+
Flag
Congrats to Timothy Omundson and Michael Pitt, both projects sound like a lot of fun! (well, knowing what Pitt's character does to his face in the Hannibal movie doesnt sound like any fun at all...)
Flag
I could care less about HIMYD.

Coincidentally - Holley Marie Combs played Piper in Charmed. Lucy Hale plays her daughter on PLL. Hale will play a character named Piper on Baby Daddy.
Flag
The HIMYD concept is pretty generic, it really depends how they follow through.
Flag
I'm wiling to give HIMYD a shot.I liked HIMYM.
Flag
A HIMYM spin-off? Enough already...

I painfully kept watching the later seasons just to see how it ends and, mostly, who his the mother... So it is even more painful now that we've seen who she is. The show has only been like 10% about "how he met the mother". Neil Patrick Harris was the main motor of the show really and I don't believe that this new show has an equivalent.

I won't even bother to watch. There was nothing in last week's prequel which made me go: "Ho, wow! I gotta see that!".
Flag
I can't wait to see Michael Pitt tear his own face off and feed it to dogs.
Flag
Still not interested in the spin-off, maybe if there was some casting news, but even though I doubt I'd watch it. I'm only still watching HIMYM to see how it ends so I'm not interested in going through another decade long journey to find out something I already know.
Flag
i doubt HIMYD will be as big a hit. tho i wasnt a fan of HIMYM it had a lot driving it to keep being renewed i think. if this does 2 seasons ill be surprised.
Flag
There's some sad, sad news today (thinking specifically about How I Met Your Father and Sherlock). I in all honesty was never a fan of HIMYM, but that behind me, HIMYF is a truly terrible idea. Perhaps the worst ever since NBC put out its last idea.

It's also - maybe even more so - sad that Sherlock is going on a hiatus perhaps. It is one of the best shows on TV right now, although Fargo might temporarily fill the Sherlock-shaped hole.
Flag
HIMYM is on CBS...
Flag
I meant it is the worst idea put out by anyone since NBC last publicized an idea. Just a jab at NBC, I take any chances I can get. Even though they do have some of my favourite shows.
Flag
There have been roughly two years between each season of Sherlock so far, I doubt it'll be much different this time around
Flag
I'd say I'm a bit more interested, I mean some actual LGBT representation, and they don't seem to overtly stereotypical caricatures (but really a lawyer again...), on CBS, color me surprised. I'm going to give HIMYD (wish it was HIMYF) a chance, even if it is just as loyalty to HIMYM, if it captures the heart and the laughs of the original I'll stick around, if not I'll drop it.
Flag
I'm unclear on how much I've read about the new Carter Bays/Craig Thomas project is actual and how much is speculation.

Is How I Met Your Dad the real title, a working title, or just what everybody calls it? Is it really meant to be a female version of HIMYM, or do people just assume that's all the creators are capable of?

There seem to be more differences between the characters of HIMYM and the new show than there are similarities. Show creators make second, third, fourth shows all the time. We'd be disappointed if they didn't. I don't see the point of dumping on this before we see it, or even know what it's all about.
Flag
Staff
How I Met Your Dad is the actual title. It's following the same pattern of a woman telling her children how she met their father.
Flag
The fact that HIMYD will have a gay couple actually intrigues me, so long as they do it well.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC