A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)

The cast and creators of CBS's long-running sitcom How I Met Your Mother made their first—and last—appearance at San Diego Comic-Con this past weekend. For a show going into its ninth and final season (HIMYM returns September 23 at 8pm) the room was packed with fans. I had to sit through a couple of random panels just to make sure I'd be able to get in (the things I'll do to breathe the same air as Neil Patrick Harris).

Not too much was shared about Season 9, other than that there will be dancing! And maybe singing! And, um, jokes? But the cast—Josh Radnor (Ted), Jason Segel (Marshall), Cobie Smulders (Robin), Neil Patrick Harris (Barney) and Alyson Hannigan (Lily)—were ready and willing to talk about what the show means to them. Do you have your tissues nearby? OK, get them, I'll wait.

Radnor spoke about meeting a fan in Majorca who had never been off the island, but had seen every single episode of the show. The man told him the show taught him to enjoy his life in the present day because one day that life would make up his memories. Pretty deep stuff, am I right?

Segel gave a shout out to Freaks and Geeks and then went on to talk about how it was nice to be part of a show that has run as long as HIMYM has. He also said that he felt as if the cast and the audience have been building something together over the course of the show. "The show's happening while people are living their lives," he said. "We're in your homes. There's a familiarity. I feel like we've done something together the past decade and that's pretty cool."

Smulders told the crowd that she just felt honored to be part of the group and was excited to spend this time with the cast and crew. She's looking forward to getting to say a proper goodbye to the characters. Meanwhile, in typical form, Harris joked that he'd never thought he'd get to make out with so many chicks, but was thankful for being given the opportunity to play the craziest, most awesome character. "It's been freeing to be able to play the crazy one within the show," he said. He continued that he's appreciative of the way the writers continued to write Barney over the last eight years and remarked that he would look back at his time on HIMYM as the best work experience he's ever had.

Hannigan, who is no stranger to long-running TV shows—she played Willow Rosenberg on Buffy the Vampire Slayer for seven years— is simply grateful that they were given another season to end the show the way the writers intended. "This season feels like a big thank you to you," she told the crowd.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 9 : Episode 24

2 Comments