We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A How I Met Your Mother Community
CBS (ended 2014)
So the preponderance of threads and discussions are full of the jilted masses who are mad at the show about how they chose to end the series. I thought that for balance there should be a place for those who do not have negative feelings toward the finale to talk about what they liked about it!!

Some things that I thought were done well.

1. We got to see the gang through the years. Yeah they didn't cover every little detail of those years but enough to give us the jist.

2. Barney didn't entirely revert and we still got to see him grow. A lot of the past couple seasons have been watching Barney grow into someone who cared for other people. And while he did backslide a little after his divorce with Robin the birth of his daughter showed us the person we all hoped Barney could be.

3. The ups and downs the gang experienced, drifting apart coming back together and not always being as tight as they were in their 20's was a pretty accurate portrayal of what often happens when you know people that long. Yeah Robin was absent from the group for several years but that doesn't mean that she wasn't still a part of their family. And she came back for the big moments.

4. The transition from Bob Saget to Josh Radnor as older Ted was done almost flawlessly. No one is really talking about this but they handled it really well. There was no narration really until the last 5 or so minutes when Radnor took over the voice over and then we saw Ted in the study.

Those are some of the things I thought were down well. What about you?

P.S. If you just want to rail about how much you hated it, there are an abundance of other threads for that, please go there to vent.
Comments (43)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The finale was alright but I didn't like the ending either. I really don't see myself watching How I Met Your Dad if it's not really about meeting the Mother, I mean the Dad. Lol.
Flag
I think the end was not that bad. I mean even in real life we don´t always get what we want ;)
Flag
When Barney tells the two early 20s women to go home and get their lives right. He not only became a dad, he became everyone's dad.
Flag
season nine was a disaster ,though the end was pretty good.
Flag
I liked the way Barney went back to his womanising ways, I don't think he ever really changed. Yes he loved Quinn and robin but wasnt the kind of person to be happy in a long term relationship, I think he just felt pressured to live that kind of life thanks to his friends who were constantly telling him that he MUST grow up and get married someday. I think he made a good dad, and would probably settle into a relationship in his late 40s but without marriage.
Flag
I never hated the end, I just expected more.
Flag
I like the P.S. Hope people are abiding by it! It was a well done show and the first sitcom I've followed, well, ever. So I have a special place in my heart for this show and the characters on it. I agree with your positives. I think the fact that so many people DID identify with the characters is making for strong reactions to the finale. Which is kinda a sideways compliment to the writers and actors for giving us such a wonderful show.
Flag
Good to see someone else who didn't hate it.

Although I agree with some that the format of season 9 didn't help the finale I have nothing but praise for Carter and Bays at the moment. What other sitcom would not only do an entire season over one weekend but also a finale that wasn't a solid happily ever after!

Flag
I am glad I am not alone!!! If you take a step back and think about it, the finale stayed true to what the series always was.
Flag
agreed and the one thing that I find infuriating about the issue many take with Ted ending up with Robin is that they try to spin it as in some way showing that the Mother of Ted's children didn't matter/wasn't his true love/etc
[exasperated sigh] that's not the message, the message (or rather one of many positive messages we can take away from it) is that Ted absolutely loved the mother of his children, and no doubt still does after she's gone, and probably will even after Robin and him get together in their middle age. Further that, this similarly doesn't in any way diminish the love he might now gain with Robin (or any of what either of them went through before).
In life we lose people, and finding people you can "move on" with is exceedingly important.
Finding someone who also isn't going to in anyway take away from what you had in the past is something wonderful. And it's abundantly clear from all we saw in this final hour of the series (at least to me) that Robin respects the hell out of the woman Ted married, and from the kids words we can infer that since their mother's death Robin has actually been a/the most stable (not to mention positive) older female presence in their household, despite the fact that her job takes up much of her time.
[And this is all before any Ted and Robin getting “back together” has occurred]
Frankly I find it insulting that anyone could look at all this and think that there could in any way be a *"better" ending for all concerned.
More +
Flag
I feel the same way about Ted and Robin. The other one I have heard is that their not pissed that Ted moved on after the mothers death but that the writers deceived us for 9 years, which I think is a ridiculous statement. The story Ted was telling was the story of his journey to the mother and how they fell in love. His kids called it at the end that sub consciously he was coming to terms with moving on while telling the story. People angry and claiming that the show was just one long con kind of misses the point of the whole show. It's not a con just because your mind is to narrow to wrap your head around another outcome.
Flag
Even if Ted and Robin renewed their 'single over 40 agreement' then that would be fine with me. What I liked most is that we don't know exactly what has gotten them back together.
Flag
I'm in the hate group, but I loved some things too
+Barney's scene with his daughter
+The scene under the umbrella
+The -2am -9:45 joke: watching Barney be a father
+When Marshall and Lily enter MacLaren's and Ted is like "Oh, yeah, no I'm not doing that"

Flag
those were mine too :)
Flag
Yeah, i also have the same thoughts ^-^
Flag
Every scene with The Mother in the finale was perfection.
That is all.

Flag
I Agree, Those moments were lovely to see ^-^
Flag
Im so sorry but na.. I still cant stop being angry
Flag
Well me neither, Creator of this Show wasted this Last Season with Random Scenes apart from Mother meeting Ted and there chemistry
Flag
Whenever I think of Barney, the womanizer of Imagine Me & You comes to mind; a manipulative predator for every woman he ever dated, that nevertheless was a devoted friend and a nurturing father.

For 9 years we saw Barney through Ted's eyes, but it was the one minute we saw him through Ellie's eyes that revealed the man Robin got married to. And I don't need to see Bareny tell his daughter the story of how he met her mother to know he wouldn't change a thing.
Flag
I read a review before the finale on how he wanted the show to end. "just want Ted to be happy". And, I believe he ended happy with the possibility of a closer relationship with Robin. To borrow from another review I read, the entire story from 2005 was always about Ted's growth and his love for Robin. The story arc of meeting the mother was only the hook to keep us watching and the major twist that Carter and Craig put into the show in so many places. The show mirrored life in that our destinations are not always happily-ever-afters. So, enjoy the journey as hard as you can. I loved the journey and will always feel Ted is as happy (in 2030) as Frasier Crane was when his plane landed in Chicago as he pursued the woman who became the love of his life (played by Laura Linney). I needed a lot of tissue then as well as for the HIMYM finale.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members